• Published 29th Jun 2012
  • 7,077 Views, 590 Comments

The Jerk - Perception Filter

  • ...
39
 590
 7,077

Chapter 10

The Jerk
Chapter 10

The zombie Spike let out a bloodcurdling scream, and began running towards me. Actually, belay that, barreling towards me. He was going faster than a creature of his size had a right to. I stood there waiting for him. When he was about 2 feet away, I brought up my leg, and punted him back across the hall. He flew and hit the wall with a sickening crack. After sliding down, he got up again, but had sustained no physical injuries that I could see. Tough bastard. He wasted no time in getting to his feet, letting out another scream, and running towards me.

I waited until he was once again a very short distance away, and I kicked him again; but I didn't put in the full force I could've. After a short distance of skidding, I ran up to him and put my foot of his throat and he simply tried to gnaw on my foot.

"I am so, so sorry about this." I said, and I pressed down on his windpipe, and crushed his neck and spine. He coughed up blood for a few seconds and then fell still. I shook my foot to get most of the blood off, and I began to walk away. As I reached the end of the hallway, I heard a faint gurgling noise, and I turned around to see the zombie Spike pulling himself forward with one hand and trying unsuccessfully to scream, instead making only gurgling and coughing noises. Looking at the sickening spectacle before me, I lost all remaining sympathy for whatever Spike. Things didn't just keep moving even after they were dead.

I walked back down the hallway to the thing still trying to crawl towards me and I reached down and picked it up by its head. I stared in its eyes for a moment, and saw something sickening. His eyes were a grayish black color, and possessed no life in them whatsoever. After that brief moment, I heaved him up, and slammed its face into the ground and its head exploded in a shower of gray goo. The stuff splattered all over my suit, and before I wiped it off it actually started squirming and moving up my suit towards my head. I quickly flung the stuff off and if stopped moving when it was on the wall. I looked back at the shattered mess of blood and bone that used to be a living being and sighed. I walked away, shaking my head as I exited the building. The base was the same as when I left it; buildings deserted, no changelings, and no dead bodies.

I walked towards the exit point and kept my head down the whole way. Nothing happened. There was no noise. It was funny actually. Even if it really unnerved me, the silence was peaceful. Nothing like in the Wasteland. Discord was keeping surprisingly quiet during this period of time, although I could tell this was all affecting him on some level. Before the changelings took over, there was no violence in Equestria.

I took the long period of time that was occupying most of my time, to do an inventory check on everything I had left.

10 Stimpacks, around 32 Med-X. What? Most people would call that overkill. I call it being prepared. I'm a pessimist. I always imagine things at their worst, that way when things are actually at their worst, it doesn't surprise me; and when things aren't at their worst, I feel better about the situation. Stop looking at me like that.

Anyways, 10 Stimpacks, 32 Med-X, and 24 Psycho.

"Discord." I asked into the air, waiting for a response. After a few seconds, it came.

Yes? What is it you need my love?

"Any chance you can help me out with my supplies problem?"

Well, first you have to say please.

"It's a yes or no question."

Say please.

"Kiss my ass."

Close enough....No, I can't help you. Are you hungry? I could make some food. As if on que, my stomach started growling and I realized how long it had been since I had eaten.

"That would be much appreciated."

Chicken and Fettuccine with Sun-Dried Tomatoes coming right up boss. Before I could question it, one of the most appetizing things ever appeared in front of my face. I looked at it greedily, and was about to dig in when a certain asshole spoke up.

Uh, uh, uh! You need to eat it properly. Then a large dinner setup appeared in front of me, complete with candles, and a full set of silverware.

"Are you serious?"

Yes.

"Then I opt out of eating." I had gone longer without food, and I could do it again. Without another word, everything disappeared. Including the food. I kept walking, doing my best to ignore the hunger pangs in my stomach. A short while later, I finally reached the point where I first came in. I activated the stealth module on my suit and walked inside. There was nothing here. I shuffled over to the staircase to the basement, and hopped down into the tunnel leading outward. I couch-walked the rest of the way through the tunnel in case there were surprises hidden for me, but nothing happened.

The silence was getting to me. Making me paranoid. Things were never this silent. I was seeing things in the shadows. Believe me when I say that I was scared to hell and back. I had dealt with all the horror of the Wasteland, and normally, I wouldn't be scared in this sort of situation, but the silence. Man, it was deathly silent. As if everything was dead and I was the last one alive. I reached the end of the tunnel and took the ladder up to the manhole covering. Yea, I was thinking that too. How the hell did ponies use ladders?

Anyways, I was instantly besieged by an invisible storm of fire as I exited the hatch, and I quickly hurried away. Still silent. I pulled up my Pip-Boy radio and tried to contact Shining Armor.

"Shining. Shining, are you there?" I was met with static. More silence.

"Discord, what's going on here?"

Well...It's quiet.

"Obviously. It shouldn't be this quiet. I mean, I there was even noise when I got here, but now...." I trailed off, unwilling to continue.

Just keep going, you aren't helping anyone by standing here.

"Right...." I said, and I continued my trek. Silence.