• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,319 Views, 25 Comments

Flurry Heart's Eye Exam - Jongoji245

  • ...
4
 25
 2,319

Let Me Put It This Way

Since her Crystalling, Flurry Heart is quite a sight for the Crystal Ponies. Like the citizens of Canterlot, they now have two Alicorn princesses among them. And with Sunburst calming her wild magic, the ponies can rest easy. Six months have gone by, and many wonder what’s in store for the winged-horned filly. But for the loving parents, Shining Armor and Princess Cadance, it’s time that she takes one of many exams; one so important that would determine either popularity or scrutiny. This is the eye exam, and the baby is next on the list.

The two rulers sat in the waiting room, leaving their daughter to the hands of their kingdom’s medics. The suspense is killing them as they look at their fellow citizens and their children. Some signed the documents so casually that they didn’t show fear or remorse. Others, especially the children, worry for their operations courtesy of the exaggerated stories told by their peers. One odd case started frustrating Cadance.

“Shining, will you stop worrying. Flurry will be fine.” Cadance addresses her husband while he leans left and right and keeping a suspicious brow.

“I know but,” - Shining leans to his wife, keeping his cool - “why is your aunt here?”

Indeed, a few seats down sat Princess Celestia herself, her wings clasped against her body. Even outside her castle, the white-rose Alicorn displayed her majestic poise among the crowds of Crystal Ponies. One foal approaches the ruler, holding a quill and a parchment containing several signatures. For duty or pleasure, Celestia’s muzzle curved a warming smile before the horn glowed a soft yellow. Holding the quill in another aura, the benevolent ruler signs the paper, giving a soft chuckle as the filly whinnied with joy and trot back to her parents.

“Your Majesty.”

The two rulers of the Crystal Empire stood up to the hospital’s chief medic. His diamond sheen overlapping his grey-purple coat and old eyes sat behind a pair of black glasses, the doctor approaches the couple, holding the innocent infant with his left arm. Shining Armor steps forward, his muzzle puzzled.

“Is Flurry Heart okay?” He asks before he is given his daughter.

“I need your presence in my office. All three of you.”

At the mentioning of the word “three,” Celestia rises from her seat, joining her niece and in-law as they walk to an even smaller room. The tallest princess made as much room as she could, her right side touching Cadance’ chair. Shining Armor taps the edge of his seat while watching the doctor place the results on his desk.

“So, what’s wrong with Flurry Heart?” The Captain of the Guard, now Prince of the Crystal Empire, leans forward. “Is her eyesight okay?”

“Your daughter’s eyesight is fine, Your Highness.” The doctor wiggles his mustache. “But with her being an Alicorn by birth, Having the both of you and Celestia is important nonetheless.”

He opens the file, taking out Flurry’s test results.

“As you know, the retina only picks up a small amount of the visible spectrum. For us, the range is three hundred ninety to seven hundred nanometers. Flurry’s visible spectrum is even greater, from two hundred nanometers to seven hundred. She will be able to see ultraviolet light and also see a greater amount of colors than we can.”

“Then” - Cadance shift her body, making herself and her daughter comfy - “why is this a bad thing.”

Seeing the doctor turn to his right, Cadance looks to her aunt. Her face straight, the Sun Princess takes a deep breath and turns to her niece.

“Remember when you were young, you said you kept bumping into a” - Supporting herself with her wings, Celestia raises her front hooves - “‘invisible force field?’”

“Why, yes.” Cadance chuckles; there have been numerous encounters with this invisible force field.

“Well, the truth is that Alicorns-”


“Can’t see glass?”

Those are the exact words Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship, read in the scroll sent by her brother and sister in law. Alicorns can’t see glass. How is that possible? Birds can’t see glass, but Alicorns, mammals with traits of all three Pony species, also unable to see glass? If that’s true, is that also why Pegasi live in a cloudy metropolis and why Rainbow Dash crashes through her windows? Twilight turns around to a book glass bookshelf in the sunlight. She squints, turning her head in another angle, then shifts her body around, pressing her cheek on the glass. There aren’t any rays of light; only the presence of dust is evidence that there is glass between the wood.

“Spike,” - Twilight turns to her dragon companion that she loved like a brother - “we need to stain the glass.”

A soft hum echoes the room, turning Twilight’s attention to a purple mirror; funny that while she can’t see glass, she can still see her reflection. What comes out of the portal is another pony; orange fur with a mane and tail colors that easily reminded the immature of sliced up pork belly and a yin yang sun of red and yellow for a cutie mark. This was Sunset Shimmer, a former student of Celestia’s who currently resides in the world beyond the portal; one dominated with bipedal counterparts, including Twilight herself. Since her last visit, the Alicorn hasn’t gotten a message from her reformed friend. There are talks that Sunset might return to Equestria, at least to make amends with Celestia, but at this time? Maybe something was happening that requires her attention.

“Twilight, something’s going on with your counterpart.” Sunset shuffles her weight; it has been over four years since she walked on all fours. "She says that she can't see-"

Sunset noticed the young dragon dragging a paint bucket. As he paints the surface with a thin coat of white rose color, the orange Unicorn turns to her friend, who takes a deep breath.


"So, I can't see glass." The Human Twilight, or Sci-Twi as she is nicknamed, looks at her glasses, trying to find the lenses before making a few taps. She puts on a pair of sunglasses, at least she can see the lenses."I'll subscribe for contact lenses."

Comments ( 25 )

This is beautiful.


Wat :rainbowderp:
Why glass of all things? Why not water??

That was weird. Didn't expect that

Headcanon accepted

Hahahahahaha!!!! :rainbowlaugh:

that explains a lot.

well done !

Okay, that explains the stained windows at Canterlot Castle.

Flurry Heart should get a royal pet.

Huh. That was amusing.

Where exactly did this idea come from?

7700821 Index of refraction! (This is why you can see a piece of glass that's underwater, BTW)

7703474 Ok, got it, thanks.

:trollestia: Trollestia strikes again! :rainbowlaugh:

So what I get from this is that pegasi, and therefore, by extension, alicorns, are unable to see glass. And this is why Rainbow keeps crashing into the library windows, and why Celestia has so many stained glass windows.

That is by far the most hilarious, yet plausible explanation I have ever heard so far. Headcanon accepted.

This is a very good one-shot.

:rainbowhuh: that felt... Anticlimactic...

I guess it's a different sense of humor

New headcanon. Well not really but a great story nonetheless.

Very cute fun. I love the vision idea, it's really unique. Your opening paragraph sounds more like a description than part of the story itself though.

JackRipper
Moderator

This review was brought to you by the group, "A for Effort".
Name of Story: Flurry Heart's Eye Exam
Grammar score out of 10: 8.5
Pros:
1) Interesting concepts regarding the eyesight of alicorns.
2) Funny visualization and imagery.
3) Unique concept.

Cons:
1) Switches between past and present tense randomly on occasion.
2) A continuity error regarding Rainbow Dash; if it only applied to alicorns, then her eyesight would be normal like everypony else.
Additional Notes: I'm not sure if I'm right about that second con, are you trying to say pegasi can't see glass either? That part was a little confusing to me. Either way, well done. :twilightsheepish:

8146285
Alicorns are a mixture of the three pony races jongoji is implying that this deficiency comes from the pegasus lineage.

JackRipper
Moderator

8355844
This review is like, 3 months old. :derpytongue2:

This is so funny. Now we know why all the windows in the castle of celestia is stained.

Login or register to comment