• Published 11th Nov 2016
  • 810 Views, 21 Comments

Hive Versus Hive - Impossible Numbers



Seabreeze wants nothing more than to stay at home and relax with his family. But after his lucky escape from the Big World of the ponies, he's gained some unwelcome attention, and not just from overawed Breezie neighbours...

  • ...
1
 21
 810

Returning To Paradise

Over the beach of the griffon kingdom, Twirly fluttered and bumped into those nearest her. Balloons bulged and sagged from her waist. Sparkles flickered over the stretched surface. Sometimes, the slight breeze rubbed against them, and then the water inside sloshed.

The long line of Breezies trailed behind her. She glanced back to the distant hills, where a team of griffons beat their wings gently. From those beats, the breeze flowed along the caravan of tiny bodies, lifting them by their gigantic wings. Waves lapped underneath her. A crab stopped probing a patch of slumped seaweed to watch.

She sighed. Even by Breezie standards, it had been a boring trip. The secret spring had posed no real challenge, and the Equestrian Society for the Preservation of Rare Creatures had produced the usual crowd of gawkers and photographers. There hadn’t even been any flash.

Now, the cave loomed on the horizon, and she could see a crowd pooling around it. Twirly hummed out of interest.

“Why is there a holdup?” she said to no one in particular. “The portal doesn’t close for another two days.”

Gasps and shocked yelps ran through the crowd, followed immediately by chatter. She looked down at the beach in an attempt to spot the problem.

From the shoreline, the Enchanters of the River smiled and waved.

“What?” she shrieked. “A breach?”

Further along, a group of Chaneques lobbed stones at each other. In the shadow of the cave, a mist drifted past and the Ones from the Otherworld floated and beamed side-by-side with the Viler Spirits, who sometimes woke up and clapped feebly for the Breezies. Half-hidden among the crags of the cave’s mouth, the Joggers and the Brown Foals set up tiny blankets and toy set cutlery for a picnic overlooking the beach.

“Oh no!” Twirly moaned and held her head in her hooves. “This is terrible! They’re all going to get into so much trouble!”

Finally, the portal shimmered before her. She and her nearest neighbours went through, biting their forelegs, their eyes wide.

Into the light, over the small bushes, and on the threshold of the pond, she shuddered and rubbed her forelegs together and hoped she was going to see the village still standing. What she did see left her gaping. Squeaks of surprise erupted around her.

The palace was there, surrounded by the birdhouse homes, but Flutter Ponies swarmed around its base, picking off the last of the yellow crust. Below her, the pond rippled and splashed with fey creatures of all kinds. Watching from the banks were the Nymphs, giggling and whispering to each other. Twirly looked to the orange and pink sky, where Charity Ponies floated and argued with Breezies.

A spear prodded her in the chest. Five Alux stood in a line before her.

“Dawdle do not,” said one near the front, creasing his face around the unfamiliar Breezie words. “New arrival should go to Empress.”

Since the other Breezie arrivals couldn’t stop gaping, Twirly forced herself to take the initiative. “What is this?”

“Border control,” said the Alux smugly. “Go on, go on with you. Empress over there.”

He pointed with his spear. Gingerly, she nodded and drifted across the pond. Another Alux – wearing the headdress of the Empress – barked orders at someone, and the fallen toadstool house rose up from where it had crushed the nearby tiny trees. Trident Rhinoceros Beetles hoisted it in their horns. A team of bindweed-holding Flutter Ponies and Viler Spirits pulled, and the house swung upright with a crack of its windows.

Twirly coughed politely. “Um…”

“New arrivals!” A Flutter Pony stepped forwards, said something to the Empress, and then translated: “Hello! My name is Burningrose! I am very happy to meet you!”

For some reason, his smile was a bit too strained, as though he were trying to impress everyone with how wide it could be. Twirly noticed the Empress glare at him.

What?” was all she could think to say.

“Ah! I see you have the enchanted water ready! Good! At the moment, we are holding it on the surface. Everyone should have a chance to look at it! Please, over here for you!”

One of the Charity Ponies landed, and the wand next to her waved and twirled and aimed at the balloonfuls of water. Twirly gasped as the bulging sacks rose from her sides and drifted after the retreating figure. Laden Breezies around her met other Charity Ponies. Flutter Pony larvae closed in on all sides, staring and chattering.

“I am here to help!” said Burningrose at her elbow. “If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!” His eyes were reddening.

Twirly opened her mouth. She was struggling to think of anything to say, and that wasn’t just because one of the larvae was headbutting her dangling legs.

Finally she spoke: “What’s Seabreeze done now?


Seabreeze groaned and massaged his forehead. The idea had sounded much better in his head a few hours ago.

“They’re not going to like it,” said Chief Sun Crow stoutly. Behind the Jogger, Piffle nodded vigorously.

“But it is a legend! It is not meant to be taken literally! There is no curse on this armour!”

“I told you this would happen,” snapped Piffle. “You ought to have never meddled with the things. And it’s not about curses. It’s… Well, it’s desecration! It’s grave-robbing! Take the darn thing off now!”

Seabreeze fumed. Every fey species he’d met had been swept up by the chance of getting a look at the ingredients in the vaults, so much so that the very air crackled with excitement. Some of them even listened to the Breezie tour guides trying to explain things to them. Another daring gesture would have been icing on the cake, and then there was the historical symbolism…

Grumpily, he shook and twisted and managed to get his hoof stuck in the leg armour.

“Um,” he said. “Could I have a little help, please?”

Piffle was still giving him an “I told you so” grimace, but the old Breezie stepped forwards and fiddled with the straps and links. Chief Sun Crow tried not to chortle, but his shoulders shook and his mouth fought to stay closed.

Black and white plates clattered on the tiles when Seabreeze flexed his wings and rose free. Around the corridor of the palace, the clatter echoed as though an army was disrobing.

“I only thought it would make a good new uniform,” he said, rubbing his aching forelimbs. “Something everyone could wear to mark the occasion.”

“It’ll only make them angry.” Piffle swept up the plates with his hooves and flapped his wings, trying to hold the armour without actually profaning it with his touch. A lot of rattling and wincing ensued. “Look, I know your intentions were good, but let’s not push our luck today, yes?”

“Let’s go in, now,” said the Chief. They both watched until Piffle disappeared round the corner, and then they pushed through the double doors to the main chamber.

Seabreeze was just happy it wasn’t covered in Flutter Pony gunk anymore. The faces of the painted Fey Ponies beamed down at them from the ceiling. A semi-circle of thrones stood facing two figures in the centre, one Curupira, one Flutter Pony. He took his place on a wooden throne at the end, and found himself sitting next to Lady Guardia, who rewarded him with a genteel smile.

The first figure was speaking and throwing his legs around in wild gestures. When Seabreeze focused, he could see it was no ordinary Curupira, but the Grand High Curupira himself. Chief Sun Crow signalled to a Nymph servant standing to attention, who nodded to them both and began translating.

“So you see,” she translated, and the Grand High Curupira briefly glanced in her direction before continuing, “my kind will not be returning to this world before the Ring Portal closes.”

“Preposterous!” Mudstick of the Brown Foals stood up and began stamping hard where he stood. “This is a reckless choice. Walking out onto the Big World terrain is one thing, but to try and live there is to court death! Even the Breezies with their magic cannot go without a guide on the other side!”

“Perhaps…” The Grand High Curupira glanced in Seabreeze’s direction, winked, and the Nymph translator continued; “But then again, perhaps not. Today is not just about clearing up any mistakes. We want to go out and find out for ourselves.”

Beside the Grand High Curupira, the Flutter Pony shook his wings and flexed his tusks. Jelly Salve Jar, who was floating above her throne with a look of dreamy unconcern, snorted and woke up. The head of the Chaneques tossed a stone idly from one leg to another.

“I say let him do so,” purred the Enchanter. “Why not? Be it on his own head, and all that. Besides, my boys are working on a way to… get around the travel difficulties.”

“We know,” said Lady Guardia coldly. “Your kind do nothing else.”

“Lady Guardia! You wound me! Can a humble river spirit be blamed for having big dreams? This is the first time in centuries we’ve finally seen the ocean of myth and legend. It is not a fairy story. It is real. It is everything we could have hoped for! Now, you ask my kind to wait a year before we ever see it again. Such cruelty from such a generous spirit!”

“Ha! So speaks the great trickster! And what were your plans were you to come across any female creatures? Will you be trusted enough to refrain from any illusions and enchantments? The Curupira I can sympathize with, but your mischievous kind need a constant watch!”

After a while, Seabreeze noticed his translator was sweating under the barrage of languages. When the Flutter Pony started speaking in his native tongue, she gave up completely and fixed Seabreeze with a pleading look.

“That is good work,” he said, smiling. “I am fine for now. This has been enough.”

Sighing gratefully, she rushed a curtsy and scuttled back to her post behind Bromeliad, who was chatting to another of her Nymph servants. He heard the gentle steps of Breezie hooves behind him, and turned to meet Hugglenut and Milktears crouching as though about to bolt.

“Hello, you two,” he said at once.

“Hello, Seabreeze. How is it going?” said Milktears, straightening up.

Seabreeze noticed the two of them were standing an inch apart from each other. To a Breezie, that was enough for two more. Her eyes wobbled. She always looked to him like she was about to burst into sobs.

“Everywhere and nowhere at the same time,” he said. “How are you? I remember I saw you and Jingo Belle charge, and the next moment –”

“She is fine, thank you.” Hugglenut’s words were soft, but his flinty gaze smacked into his speech like a brick. Seabreeze gave a weak smile before he clamped his mouth shut.

“Sorry.” He glanced at the Flutter Pony speaking, who was utterly still and poised next to the Grand High Curupira. “I did not think you two were –”

“We’ll be fine,” said Milktears. The pair gave him brave smiles. “Just a difference of opinion.”

“Yes,” said Hugglenut grimly. “Just a difference. We’ll work it out.”

Seabreeze tried not to think about it. Everyone had been talking about how the two were made for each other. Perhaps they were going to decide for themselves now. Not my concern, he thought frantically.

Instead, he coughed and said, “So everyone is fine, too? All the captured Breezies are feeling better?”

“Oh yes.” Milktears nodded eagerly, and this time their smiles were genuine. “No one was seriously hurt, and the Flutter Ponies are clearing out before the portal closes.”

“It’ll be like nothing ever happened.” Hugglenut rubbed his front hooves together. “Myself, I can’t wait for that. What are they saying now?”

The Flutter Pony and the Grand High Curupira rounded on each other, shouting loudly. Both sides tensed for a lunge. Seabreeze glanced at Chief Sun Crow, who shrugged.

“They’re both arguing over the Flutter Ponies' status of lone fire fey,” the Jogger said calmly. “It is an old and boring argument. You see, the Curupira always want to be considered the second fire fey species, instead of just another forest one. Everyone knows the story, though, and that is not how it happened. This is the new world, however.”

Tusks clicked. The Grand High Curupira squealed. In the semi-circle, both combatants tackled each other and rolled across the floor, amid much buzzing and squealing. All the members of the court stood up or floated higher. Babbling and shouting broke out.

Chief Sun Crow sighed under his breath. “Ah me. Here comes the new world, same as the old one.”


Outside, the orange was fading from the sky. Zephyrine watched as row after row of Flutter Ponies lined up, revved up their wings, and leaped into the sky. Already, a trail was leading from the base of the palace to the hillocks on the horizon.

Beside her, Saltshaker and the larva rolled a stone back and forth. She’d gotten it off a particularly troublesome Chaneque, to whom she had calmly and politely explained the advantages of compassionate concern for others’ welfare. He was still hiding nearby, shaking behind a toadstool stalk and ducking back whenever she glanced over.

A Flutter Pony landed on her other side. She didn’t need to turn around to know who it was.

“Should I call you 'Vox'?” she said to the dimming light. “Or is it just ‘Tailblade’ now?”

Another one landed between the two of them. Much chattering and clicking followed. Finally, the translator swung round to face her.

“My master,” said the new voice, “would like to be called ‘friend’ to you.”

“Oh?” Zephyrine held the smile back. “And what may I call you who speaks Breezie so well?”

Even beyond the language barrier, the tone of surprise was unmistakeable. After some more chattering, the newcomer said, “My name is Zenith Flare.”

There was a confident timbre in the voice, and none of the hesitancy or slow deliberateness of the old translator. Zephyrine looked her up and down at last, but apart from a stance like Dragon Lily’s and a curlier mane, the stranger looked just like any other Flutter Pony to her.

“Are you the new Vox, by any chance?” she said.

“Yes. I am replacing the disgraced Dragon Lily and leading my hive back home. There are going to be changes now that I am in control.” It wasn’t arrogant or boastful. It was just a cold statement of how the future would be shaped.

“Interesting.” Zephyrine looked across to the face of Tailblade, which gave her a weak smile. “And yet she is still your master?”

“In a metaphorical sense, yes.”

“Oh. I see. What’s a metaphorical sense?”

Further chattering ensued. Despite the gurgling of Saltshaker, she was feeling the ache in her ears relax and melt away under the constant drone of the flying creatures. Something headbutted her leg; to her surprise, it was Saltshaker, and the larva was curled up on the stone, clicking at him encouragingly.

“Her name is Dust Dream,” said Tailblade through the translator. A pause followed while the new Vox caught up with her master. “She gets on very well with your baby.”

“Saltshaker can get on with anything.” Realizing how that sounded, she hastily added, “And he can get on with anyone, of course!”

Tailblade chattered for a moment. Zephyrine tried to spot any emotion in the voice, but it was careful and slow, and in any case much too hissy and spitty for her to tell.

“Of course.” The new Vox nodded. “It is important that they both discover themselves. Trying new things will be our way of doing so from now on. Perhaps, in the future, we might send some larvae out here to learn the ways of the Breezies?”

Vox Zenith Flare twitched an antennae over her face, and Zephyrine forced herself to keep still out of the suspicion that this was perfectly normal behaviour for a Flutter Pony. At least, she hoped so.

After Tailblade spoke, the translation resumed.

“My master says you were very brave to come out with her.” The translator made the words dull and flat, but there was no mistaking the former Vox’s grin. “My master says that makes you an honourary Flutter Pony.”

“Please,” Zephyrine said, blushing. “I’m a Breezie, through-and-through. I think you have a lot to learn about other species, dear. They’re all made up of individuals, for a start.”

No one spoke after the translator had stopped. Instead, Tailblade gave a single nod, gaze turned upwards in contemplation. The line of departing Flutter Ponies started to thin, until the river of silhouettes became a shrinking stream. Breezies hovered over their heads and waved them off, though it was possible to see Jingo Belle on the margins, glaring at the line as though trying to make it go away faster.

I don’t blame her, thought Zephyrine. The things we’ve been through these last few days… I’m going to need a lot of pollen to get through this one.

Aloud, she said, “So what about the old Vox?”

“Dragon Lily?” Both Flutter Ponies exchanged words, and then chuckled. “She has been put back in her place. A mind like hers might be useful, so long as it can be kept on a short leash. She will, of course, be disciplined.”

Zephyrine swallowed. “Do I want to ask?”

“It’s better you don’t know. None of our hive won this game. We will all be disciplined.”

“How? I didn’t think the court were keen on punishments at the moment. Not when everyone’s trying to figure this thing out.”

“It’ll start with our shame and work up from there. Dragon Lily had her moment, but she ran out of fuel and wind, and that is no good for us. You must understand, Zephyrine, that a fire can die just as easily as it can be fed. Perhaps it is the same with the wind?”

“Hmm.” Zephyrine glanced at Saltshaker, who was now trying to pull the stone out from under the larva – Dust Dream, she corrected herself. “I meant what about you? What are you going to do?”

Tailblade sat down. It spooked the Breezie for a moment; up till now, she’d never seen a Flutter Pony sitting. They seemed to have too many legs for it.

Vox Zenith Flare watched the stream of the departing hive dwindle to a trickle of shadows across the vanishing orange. With a buzz, she arced over to the larva and plucked it from the ground in her clawed legs. Dust Dream wailed and writhed, trying to grab Saltshaker’s outstretched hoof.

Finally, the sitting Flutter Pony hissed at the ground.

“My master says she is going to find herself,” said the Vox. “Her true self. This ordeal has provided a sharp lesson for her. She intends to make it stick. She will travel to learn more about this world. She says we cannot think about exploring another one before then, or what are we but time-wasters?”

All around them, the mist rolled in.

Zephyrine flinched at the brightness enveloping her, and when she peeked, she saw Tailblade. Shivers ran down her spine. Heavenly singing flowed through their ears. The Ones from the Otherworld surrounded the old Vox. They were smiling.

Slowly, Tailblade reached a clawed foot up to them, and then stopped, drew it back, and turned around. To Zephyrine’s surprise, the Flutter Pony smiled and bowed to her. Low, almost kissing the moss.

Then the Ones closed in. Briefly, the image of a looming apple faded in and out. Then, the world faded back into focus. The night dimmed the serene glow of the mist, which thinned and ebbed away. Tailblade was no longer there.

“Goodness me,” said Zephyrine; another chill radiated through her body. “I’ll be glad when this is over.”

“Then it is,” said Vox Zenith Flare. “But I can smell your pheromones. You are not being entirely honest.”

Zephyrine looked away quickly. “If you say so.”

“No. Don’t take my word for it. But what does it matter? What is, is. I have my duties to my hive, as your Big Breezie has to yours. I expect the World Harvest – the true World Harvest – will be a magnificent spectacle under his care. Perhaps more strange stories await those ready to believe them, and this time we will all be there. To hear them as equals for the first time in centuries. Until then, farewell.”

With Dust Dream still squealing and wriggling in her grip, the new Vox joined the stragglers and became just another silhouette against the setting light. Saltshaker began to wail, hooves still stretched out for the distant dot of the larva.

“Poor dear.” Zephyrine sighed, bent down, and picked him up. “Don’t ‘oo worry. They’ll be back again, sweetums. They'll be back.”

Both of them watched the last of the silhouettes vanish over the distant peaks, and the light faded away for good.

I hope so, she thought giddily. A grin stretched across her face. I haven’t had this much fun in ages.

Still, it was a long time before she moved away from the spot in the darkness. Overhead, the stars flared into life.