• Published 4th Nov 2016
  • 2,280 Views, 157 Comments

Book and Stars - David Silver



Twilight remembers a powerful being she met once before. Away from the rules of Everglow, perhaps a little summon wouldn't cause much harm? At the worst, nothing happens. At the best...

  • ...
6
 157
 2,280

4 - I Can Go Anywhere

As Twilight scooted off to get some book or another, Rainbow slid closer to their visiting divinity. "So..."

"Yes?"

Rainbow flashed a big grin. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Nothing would make me happier at this moment." Luminace returned a smile, though hers was a much more subtle gesture. "What knowledge do you seek?"

"So, I have this friend, uh, Applejack." She was rubbing one leg up and down the other nervously. "She came back from Everglow with this crazy Scythe." Luminace raised a brow behind her monocle. "Yeah, not her kind of thing, right? So she comes back with it and she tries to start making ponies do things right, by force. I mean... she even kinda... banished a filly or two." She was looking progressively more nervous as she went on.

Luminace's expression grew more severe. "Does she still possess this?"

"No! No. Thank Celestia."

Luminace's face erupted into radiance. "Is that a local deity? You invoke it as if it were so."

Rainbow started in surprise. "Huh? No. She's a pony, just, you know, kind of long-lived, and powerful. Anyway, enough about her. We got the scythe away from Applejack, but she's still just a little bit... off. I mean, she's better than when she had it, don't get me wrong, but..."

Luminace gave a slow nod. "It warms my heart to see such concern for your friend even as it is chilled in the thought of what may have occurred." She began describing Severance, the unholy artifact. A scythe capable of performing cuts as precisely as any surgeon's scalpel. "Is that the weapon she returned with?"

Rainbow bobbed her head. "Yeah! Can you help her?" She started. "Oh, and getting those brats back might be nice."

Luminace gave Rainbow a little scowl. "You should not speak so of the next generation. Who will continue to learn when you are gone? I should imagine their parents are beside themselves with terror and lament. This blade is one of darkest intent. It is wielded by the Tyrant of the Night, the literal Night Mare."

Rainbow cringed even as Twilight returned with a book. Twilight peered between the two. "Did I miss something? Are you bothering her, Rainbow?"

"She is," agreed Luminace. "However, it is a heavy matter worthy of consideration. Your friend, Applejack, has also been touched by the divine. I'm afraid the gods of Everglow are hungry to spread their influence to a new world. One that has a species so compatible with Everglow must draw at them all the more intensely." She shrugged softly. "I would accept even human worshipers, if they were studious. The number of legs of my faithful matters little beside their eagerness to learn."

The book fell from Twilight's momentarily numb mental grip. "She has?! Is she alright?" She looked between Luminace and Rainbow Dash frantically.

Rainbow held up a hoof. "Chillax, Twi. She's alright. She's just... stuffier than usual." She looked back at Luminace. "So, what do we do?"

Luminace shook her head. "If you had clerics of sufficient power, an atonement spell would do well to restore her fractured alignment. Without that option, you must simply be as you have been. Be her friend, stay close, and very gently guide her back towards the light. Now, about those fillies?"

"Fillies?" Twilight blinked in building confusion.

Rainbow prodded Twilight lightly. "You didn't hear? Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon? They were being bullies and Applejack did some kind of crazy magic and sent them away."

Twilight blinked slowly. "I... did not... How hasn't everypony heard of this by now?"

Rainbow shrugged. "As many ponies think 'Honest Applejack' sent them somewhere to learn some manners as anything else. Their parents are real torn up." She rubbed behind her head. "That's why I asked about it."

Twilight bristled. "Why didn't you tell me?! I have the spell to get there and back. I could be fetching them!" She had become a harried mess, her mane frizzing with intense distress. "Do you know where they went?"

Luminace's horn glowed gently as she separated the two. "Let us not lose our reasoning. Even in darkest time, our thoughts will be what allows us to victory."

"Thoughts, right..." Twilight began the breathing technique taught to her by Cadance.

Rainbow shrugged gently. "Everglow. That's all I know. You can go there whenever you want? I thought it'd be, like, a big deal." She suddenly clopped her hooves together. "Alright!"

Twilight blinked. "Why are you so happy all of a sudden?"

Rainbow pointed at Twilight's Everglow spellbook. "You know Everglow magic. With you at my side, I can go anywhere! Let's gather up the girls and go rescue some fillies." She bobbed her head, looking quite confident. "I bet they're scared for their lives right about now."

Luminace dipped her head. "It seems your path is set. Twilight, it has been a pleasure to see you again and share knowledge. I would know you as a friend, and hope the feeling is returned. If you need help, think of me. You have no god in your heart, perhaps I could fill that hole within you. If not, I will not take offense, but it would be a pleasure and a delight."

Twilight pinkened in her cheeks as she staggered back half a step. "W-wait, can't you help?"

She shook her head lightly. "You return to Everglow. There are rules, and I will not disobey them any more than you would break your own land's laws, I should imagine." She turned to Rainbow. "Thank you for being her friend. The Great Library awaits you in time."

"Wha?"

Luminace offered no further answers but to return to the book she had emerged from. "Good luck in your travels. You may call me again, but please wait at least one full season. There are others who require my presence and I mustn't play favorites too intensely."

All too swiftly for Twilight's liking, the goddess stepped into the book and was gone.

But they had a mission to accomplish.

Author's Note:

So, hey, remember that?

Maybe we should finish that... maybe.

This story is complete, and I hope you all enjoyed it! Let me know one way or the other.

Comments ( 63 )

Clearly the setup for a sequel. I wonder what is going to happen with that scythe though if it hasn't been destroyed already. Given that it belonged to the NightMare I'm certain Luna is not happy about its presence in Equestria.

A nice short set thing up story.

Trouble is, just how is Dash going to get half her abilities from Canon. I mean, I think I worked on abusing Prodigy before, given Dashs ability to pick stuff up at high speed pass, but Improved Initiative, Advanced Improved Initiative(Metamagic) ? Unarmed strike and its multiple upgrades? As for the feat that allows Dex instead of Strength attacks, Dash is going to Break that.

just a thought. Everglow Ponys being Fey, it would be hilarious if Dash was rolled up on Fey/Pixie stats due to her relative dimnimutive frame, giving her flight from the go. Could be explained as having a Little Breezie in her line somewhere. :trollestia:

Then again, better to have Dash grounded and have points etc go to jungle Walk and such so she can have speed in enviroments, if Twilight cant keep dumping speed boost spells on her flight?

Well, they seem to have fixed a problem with PCGen in 6.07 by adding the JRE it needs to it, but its not in release form yet and so it unstable. Oh well, still fun.

Next. Dash in Everglow. Her first words likely to be. Oh Come ON. :unsuresweetie:

7718586 You confused me. Rainbow's been in Everglow, with stats. She also had a wing ripped off once. She got better.

EXCITEMENT GROWING INTENSELY:pinkiecrazy:

More!!!

*readies sniper rifle*
Typos will be shot and vaporized!:pinkiecrazy:
*insane laugh*

Does this mean mean Tarnished Silver and Clouded Diamonds is going to continue? *Hope, hope*

7718594

Very sorry for the mistake. Apparently having a possibly failing memory makes it difficult to remember how bad the memory might be failing if you realise you might be starting with a failing memory. :twilightoops:

Yay so glad I commissioned this!

Yes, please finish that story. It does make me wonder why nobody has noticed that Pinkie is missing. Hopefully with Rainbow Dash and Twilight on the way they can finally knock some sense into Diamond Tiara's thick skull before it is too late for her.

7718659 I hope not, but that's purely for selfish reasons on my part.

7718769 I'll PM you; I don't want to make this thread about me and what I wanted.

7718771
Aww...... But I want to know why too. :fluttercry:

OK David. im about to be very critical and say that your 'Everglow' makes no god damn sense. Don't get me wrong, i really like the world that you made but there are a few problems. First off, the society. as we know, much of the world has magic, but yet it still lives in a medieval world and the most we have for magic is the thunder railway (is that what its called?) but we will get back to that later. As we know, EVERYONE has the ability to learn magic, but many do not, despite its uses to make life easier such as telicanesis, making fire, or reading faster. This magic can greatly benifit the society to be more modern, since everyone can have magic, why have they not invented magic space heaters that are powered by the sun, or magic stoves, they could be increasing there borders by using TK to build walls faster. along with that, they could have rifles by now which would presumably use much less magic (IE; eragon and how he can use a pebble to kill). along with that they could make self writing pens a staple as that would take a low level spell. Heck, they have a magical railway that uses something like magnetism to levitate but yet it goes very slowly despite the fact that there is less friction and it could move much faster. if they already have a magic train, why don't they have magic cars? the car could suck out there mana to power and the more they feed into the car, the faster they go. We already know its possible since they already have trains, and heck, could they not invent airplanes with the same idea, i mean magic carpets exist here, right? going along with this, they have dwarvern technology and with the help of magic, they could have walking citys that uses the planets magic as fuel, along with large cannons that could destroy magic or equal the power of a nuke but needs strong wizards to use. despite all of this power, your world is a racist world filled with bandits and monsters when the empires could band together to colinise and protect the area, they could be making harvester machines for better crop production. or make machines that collect water from the air, ect. i will leave this to you to think about.

7718762 I agree with you, but for diffrent reasons, considering that ponys are shorter than humans, like 3 to 4 feet tall and that silver spoon and the other one were killing monsters when they were only like 2 feet tall and kicking them could finish them. regardless of any item they have as they should not have the strength to cut you too much and the most they could do is stab your legs.

Wait, what? Finished already? Awww :pinkiesad2:

Gotta say, book horse casually summoning a goddess because she was bored was rather amusing. It would be even more so if, with tone, she became a goddess herself. I foresee a lot of "WHAT?!? *panicked horse noises*" if that happened :twilightoops:

Also, was that Luminance claiming Dash' soul? Rather surprising, I'd expect something more adventurous... But she did develop passion for the written word. It would be specially funny if she ended up dead - and resurrected, obviously - during their next adventure... Just to tease Twily.
"Hey, Twilight, guess what? I got to stay with your princess goddess friend. She has the biggest library EVER. Like, the biggest one in the whole universe, with every thing ever written. They have, like, a bajillion of books there! Oh, some of them are almost as awesome as Daring Do! Jealous?." :rainbowwild:
Of course, by the end they'd have to pay for another resurrection... But sparkle butt would deem it so worth it :twilightangry2:

And now I have to finish reading AJ's. You're mean, Silver! :derpytongue2:

7721342 Note, most spells that bring you back from the dead don't leave you with memories of the afterlife. They'd have to actually visit Luminace's library, alive.

7721349 then only one resurrection, if only RD managed it. Because hell if twilight wouldn't blow a gasket over skittle horse doing it instead of her :rainbowlaugh:

Also, damn that was fast :rainbowderp:

7721349 To be fair, I don't think there's anything within the rules themselves that assert this.

7721379 I stand corrected. Must have been an earlier edition I recall from.

local diety - local deity -- or are you implying that Princess Celestia should ease back on the cake? :derpytongue2:

long lived - long-lived

I musn't play - I mustn't play

*****

An excellent little lead-in to an unfinished tale! I admit I have not read that particular story for the fact that it is unfinished and may never be, but if you do decide to conclude it, I'll happily add it to my reading list. I'd have some catching up to do, that's for certain.

7723438 Typos swatted away, lest they offend the two book horses in attendance.

wow after reading this I love it.
But is this a short DS story or is this a long intro to the next masterpiece coming out of the DS stable?
this sure feels like a intro to me.

How did I not see this PonyFinder fixc? :facehoof::rainbowhuh:
P.S. I actually mis-spelled "fic" "fix"
P.P.S. What happened to that side story about Alzrius's character (The one with Sombra's horn, who does not sense the imminent danger of keeping the mentioned horn)?

7806469 Thanks, I guess I forgot to add it to my tracking, then again, that was probably before I had a FimFiction account, I love your stories BTW, I didn't read the one about Maud and Treehugger, just because they aren't really my type of character, but I'm sure there are people ponies (:P) that loved it, keep up the good work! :raritywink:

7807360 Shame, lots of good adventure in there.

How foolish of me to let this linger as log as I did. In any case, I quite enjoyed Luminace, especially her stance on the value of being wrong. It shows she's a much better scientist than Twilight. And then there's Equestria's impending magical revolution, which should be all kinds of fun to watch...

7847855 I love Luminace. And she is not Twilight. Moments like that really highlight the difference.

wow, can't wait for the next story this implied,
over a month later i.imgflip.com/1hj6ud.jpg

considering you cancelled the serie with diamond tiara...Will the next serie tell us what happenned to them next ? I'm impatient for it

Have you considered that twillight could be a more powerful caster with equestrian magic than everglow magic ? In the serie, she use both reverse gravity and polymorph any object (orange into frog). Both 8 level spells. It could be a way to in-univers exlain levelling : she learn to use her old tricks with everglow magic.

Idem for raindow dash. I don't think there is anything in pathfinder who can go faster than the sound (maybe during the time stop spell, and only for a short duration).

Il would be fun to see if the Rainbow of harmony works on a god. It should, it worked on discord after all.

Great story, except for one little thing...

Why hasn't Twilight started on the whole 'taking Luminance as her goddess of choice so she can start learning Divine Magic' thing?

8135298 She loves her arcane magic too darn much to multiclass. Stubborn Twilight.

question : are your fics are based of ponyfinder campaign ? Like ther is a campaign where we must find the crown who will chose the heir of the pony empire ?

what are alicorns in the ponyfinder universe btw ? Your fics seems to explain that it is an sorcerer bloodline. Is there more to that ? Most gods are alicorn, and i like the idea of an alicorn pony-only mythic path/origin

>> cyberlord4444
cyberlord4444 · #32 · 3w, 5d ago · · · David Silver
Great story, except for one little thing...
Why hasn't Twilight started on the whole 'taking Luminance as her goddess of choice so she can start learning Divine Magic' thing?
She loves her arcane magic too darn much to multiclass. Stubborn Twilight.

she can become an mistic theurge (especially with the system you utilise for building your character). Heck, luminance guide her to this path in you fics

will you continue your crossover everglow fics ? There is a lot of matter you can work on : the influence of the everglow god's arrival on equestria, or the apparition of the element of harmony (who can theorically put down a god until you say otherwise) on the cosmical balance.

8195045 Hey there. I have not written an adventure/series about finding a new queen to sit upon the throne, alas. Alicorns are a bloodline, as stated. Bloodlines themselves can be a sign of importance, or not.

do you intend to continue your fics ?

8195214 Maybe. You know I post an update basically every day. I've never stopped writing.

what exactly is the state of everglow in your latest works (in-universe chronology). I know that the empire is crumbling, the pegasi lost their wheater magic, stolen by the elves, and the humanoid races conquer more and more pony territory. But how bad is it ?

The empress was just an epic-level sorceress ? (did you did her stats ?)

8195228 I have done her stats before, and Everglow, in canon, is a world in flux. In some slices of chance, the pony empire's doing fine, but in most, it falls.

a world in flux ? What does that mean ?
And where can i found her stats ?
Alzirius based his fic on yours. Does lex's adventures are cannon to your universe ?

8195365 David once posted Iliana’s stat block over on the official Ponyfinder forums. With his permission, I reposted them over on my blog (with some slightly cleaned-up formatting), and then offered my own take on her character using a third-party product that I love.

Insofar as Lex’s adventures being canon to this particular universe (that is, this particular series of fics; not the official Everglow campaign setting), they are, and that’s a privilege that I’m very grateful for and make sure to treat with the respect it deserves.

in pathfinder there is and artifact (the star of Something, i don't know) who can turn a mortal in to a god. Is there Something similar in everglow ?

8310758
There are only two mortals written of so far that ascended to godhood. One did it by besting the god he replaced. The other earned it by merit and achievement, though the specifics of how she made the last step remains undefined.

8310758 I believe you're referring to The Starstone.

Insofar as we know, there's nothing like that on Everglow. So becoming a deity there is even harder than it is on Golarion(!).

i Wonder if there is more prime material worlds outside of equestria. Can you imagine an aventure in Athos (from the dark sun d&d setting)? That being said only experimented charater would have a chance here.

Do you intent to continue the crossover fics ? You have hinted at a possible flutterdruid in roots of stone. A lot of character would be cool like trixie for an illusionist-focused sorceress.

8769994
This story places one, Everglow.

8770036

i know, i was speaking of Something outside of everglow or equestria. Just speculation Nothing concrete.
By the way what is your favorite setting ?

8770253
I'm a bit partial to the one I built. I may be biased.

well it is a cool setting.

For me i don't know, il like ravenloft and dark sun

Login or register to comment