• Published 4th Nov 2016
  • 2,277 Views, 157 Comments

Book and Stars - David Silver



Twilight remembers a powerful being she met once before. Away from the rules of Everglow, perhaps a little summon wouldn't cause much harm? At the worst, nothing happens. At the best...

  • ...
6
 157
 2,277

2 - It's in a Book

Luminace approached the books that laid open on the floor, her eyes scanning intently over them. "Are these spells? They are... curious."

Twilight moved alongside her, eyes darting between her large guest and the books below. "They are Equestrian spells." She put a hoof to her snout. "Oh! Of course they look a little different. Only unicorns cast spells here."

Luminace raised a brow. "That feels like a waste of thought. Surely your other ponies have things to contribute to the pursuit of the underpinnings of the universe? Is that a legal mandate?"

Twilight shook her head manically. "No! No, that would be terrible." She pointed up at her horn. "Unicorns have magic, and all magic, in Equestria, that ponies have is done by the horn. No horn, no magic. It's simple biology for us."

"Fascinating." Luminace leaned towards Twilight, studying her spire. "You have seen this is not entirely true. Have you considered, perhaps, your people discovered the easy way and never looked beyond it?"

Twilight's expression creased into a soft frown. "What? You're saying a pegasus or earth pony could do Equestrian magic? Now, don't get me wrong. I know all ponies in Everglow could, in theory, learn to cast spells with sufficient study. But this is an entirely different world. A different universe, even!"

Luminace gave a slow bob of her head. "That may be true, but I choose to believe that, since I know it is true in more worlds than our own, that yours obeys this rule, which seems constant, until proven otherwise, of course." She raised a hoof at Twilight. "You were able to learn non-Equestrian magic, were you not?"

"Oh, yes!" Twilight suddenly galloped away, just to snatch a book off the shelf with a glow of magic and return with it. "I still have my spellbook, even if I haven't been using it..."

"Whyever not?" Luminace reached for the book, gently brushing it with a hoof.

Twilight set the book down on a podium carefully. "Most of them were... kind of violent. I don't even want to study much magic like that. I'd rather make friends than blow things up."

Luminace smiled at that. "In this, I agree, but not all Everglow magic is meant for war, you simply learned those first due to your... situation." Her horn lit with a white glow as the pages of the book turned slowly. "Do you know an enterprising youth, one who may benefit from this?"

Twilight paled slightly. There had been a set of ponies that had studied her book, and had learned from it. "The fillies..." At Luminace's querying look, Twilight shook her head. "A trio of friends snuck into my castle one day and stole this book." She tapped it lightly. "They studied it and did learn magic."

"And this tells you?"

Twilight sank to her haunches and put a hoof over her face. "That anypony could learn magic."

"I would venture further," spoke Luminace in a kindly tone, "that it may mean all thinking beings may, in theory, be capable of it. I have yet to meet a species, given sufficient capacity for thought, to be incapable of learning magic entirely." She inclined her head at the conjuration books still abandoned on the floor. "These Equestrian books are built solely for unicorns. Unicorns got there first, and it was accepted as a fact that magic was their domain."

Twilight lifted one with her magic and placed it beside her Everglow spellbook. She looked back and forth between the two. There were similarities, and yet, so many differences in the syntax and flow between the two. They were describing the same thing, but one through the lens of unicorn horns. "I've been a fool."

Luminace shook her head at that. "You are only made a fool if you do not take this discovery and revel in it. To be proven wrong is an occasion for celebration."

Twilight blinked at that. The idea of failure being good was somewhat foreign to her. "But I'd rather succeed. What's the point of studying, just to fail anyway?"

Luminace lifted her shoulders. "Knowledge itself cannot be 'succeeded'. It replaces and refreshes itself every time one learns they were wrong. Each wrong brings one closer to right. What lays behind the last wrong? Even I cannot know, but I am eager to find it." She reached a hoof and set it on the back of Twilight's neck.. "Take heart and be joyful. Today you learned something, and that's never a thing to be bitter about."

Twilight couldn't hold onto that sour note, not in the presence of the kind mentor. She couldn't feel the slightest scrap of scorn or mockery in Luminace's words. She gently, carefully, and with some trepidation tried to let go of that feeling of foolishness in herself. "Alright... so we take that as a wrong made right. Any pony can, in theory, learn magic." She thrust a hoof at her library. "But most of these books won't help. They all focus magic through unicorn horns." It came to her. "So we'll have to start writing new books..."

Luminace smiled brightly. "Fortunately for you, you have three talented disciples that sound eager to put their knowledge to work." She glanced around suddenly. "Something approaches."

Even as she spoke words of magic and wreathed herself and Twilight in shimmering bubbles, a figure popped into existence with the sound of a cork coming loose.

Twilight rolled her eyes. "What do you want, Discord?"

Author's Note:

Discord, high source of typos! Can Luminace suffer his existence?

I rather liked Luminace's view on taking joy from being proven wrong. I think that's a noble attitude to have. What do you think?