• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 599 Views, 37 Comments

The Red Sun Rises: Homefront - The Atlantean



Crimson Dawn defends Equestria from King Sombra as Princess Celestia allies with an American fleet. All of Equestria must work to prevent Sombra from ruling the world and expanding his empire into that of Earth.

  • ...
 37
 599

PreviousChapters Next
28. Planning the Offensive And ANOTHER ARMY?!

Celestia sat on a ruined, dust-covered throne. She looked extremely weary, and it wasn’t long before the others felt the same. Her attitude seemed to be most pervasive. She had a few things to attend to.

Crimson, Crystal, Midnight, and Silver Comet walked in soon enough, flanked by a few Royal Guards. There was no jostling, but Celestia knew her guards’ feelings towards armed ponies walking up to her. Last time Crimson was here, the day she met him, he had to leave his sword and rifle with the Captain of the Guard. But the princess trusted him and his colleagues enough to let it slide. After another few minutes, Cadence and Atlanta walked in, flanked also by a couple guards, Atlantean this time. It was time to address the remaining ponies of Canterlot.

Celestia walked to the balcony overlooking the palace entrance, where everypony left was gathered. She was limping slightly from an unexpected stone falling and slicing her right shoulder. But that didn’t seem to bother her as she said her short speech in a carrying voice: “My dear ponies, I am extremely grateful to be here once again. Without the help of foreign nations across the Celestial Sea and some stranded people, this would not be possible. For generations we, as Equestrians, have lived in complete peace and prosperity. Never since the banishment of Nightmare Moon have we faced such a crisis as is now laid before us. And I believe I said some of this when this long and costly war started; however, I will say it once more. We will not stand by while evil penetrates the hearts and minds of our fellow Equestrians and burrows into our lands. Equestria has stood for more than a thousand years without need to defend itself, but the time has come when we are tested for our perseverance, our strength, and our will.

“The terrible losses we have suffered up to this day, including Princess Twilight Sparkle, my sister, and so many others: Major Dazzleflash, commander of the 4th Appleloosa Regiment; Strawberry Sunrise, executive officer of the 1st Manehattan, along with many of their comrades, for example. Their honorable service shall never be forgotten.

“Today I officially authorize a second campaign into the Crystal Empire. With the assistance of Queen Atlanta of Atlantis and King Flawless Ice of the Dominion and their respective armies, I am confident we will succeed this time. We must succeed; if we fail, there will be nothing left for us to keep the King of Shadows away with. This is for all the marbles. For Twilight. For Luna. For Equestria. Harmony guide us.”

Celestia and the group around her turned and left the balcony in an orderly fashion with Canterlot’s population cheering them on. When they were in the throne chamber, referred by Crimson as the “War Room,” a map of the north was laid out on a table. Everypony gathered around it, with Atlanta and Crimson standing opposite of Flawless Ice, earlier animosity still obviously strong.

“How do we get there without losing everypony in our armies?” asked the Dominion’s king. “They have flying machines, and the ones Admiral Robinson have” -he nodded at the American- “are out of fuel and ammunition. The only air support we get will be Pegasi, which Atlanta and I have mastered the use of, and the spinning-rotor craft, uhh…”

“Helicopters,” Robinson supplied.

“Yes. Those. From the American cruisers. But they don’t have the fuel capacity to make it round trips of the distance we require.”

“So, back at square one.” Crimson pointed at Dragonspire Citadel on the map. “This place is our main obstacle. If Sombra could’ve used the Gem against us, he would’ve done so already.”

“Agreed,” Atlanta said, speaking for the first time. “Flawless Ice’s father, Jagged Edge, used quite a good strategy on us in the war. He brought in everything he could, blasted my army to pieces, and worked his way through the supply system. If it weren’t for Colonel Silvercrest, we would’ve lost in the first year.”

“Blitzkrieg.” Robinson mused. “Genius.”

“How so?” asked Celestia.

“It means ‘lightning war.’ Back in World War Two, when Captain Ross and Pennsylvania came through a rift and ended up here, blitzkrieg was used by Hitler to take Poland, Czechoslovakia, and France. It works until it runs out of steam, which happened when Stalin held him back with sheer numbers until the frigid Russian winter hit full swing.”

Everyone else was taken aback. “Woah.” This comment was followed by Crimson’s statement. “I have no idea who this Hitler and Stalin are.”

“You don’t want to know. Absolute military dictators, to put it simply. But with your tanks, blitzkrieg just might work to get us there.”

Atlanta raised an eyebrow. “We must assume they have tanks, and more than us.”

A sudden mirage appeared, with Flawless Ice’s head scientist, Lost Legacy, in it. He was quite excited. “My King,” he said, bowing, “another rift just opened up just west of Canterlot! Readings are off the charts, but there’s some kind of tank, many many soldiers, and some air support. It’s an entire army!”

“Raise the alarm,” Celestia ordered the Captain of the Guard, who hurried to evacuate the lower levels of the city. “I’ve restored the tunnel to Starfall Fortress. Come, we must see to it that they know who they’re dealing with.”

------------------

Celestia stood on the outermost battlement wall just an hour later, staring out at the massive encampment laid before her. Long-range artillery had been brought up already, poised to fire on the ruined but still formidable citadel. White tents stretched out as far as the eye could see, surrounding Starfall in an apparent siege. Tanks - there was no other word for them - rolled up to the great, wooded, rotting gates and a man poked up from one off to the right, calling for an obvious meeting between leaders.

Robinson looked at the regimental and division flags. Then turning around, he saw that the only flags flying in Starfall were Equestrian. “I know why they look ready to attack.”

“What? Those Russians or Chinese?”

“No. I’m pretty sure those are American flags. They just don’t know who we are.”

The unknown commander was allowed inside for the “house call,” and he and Robinson recognized each other immediately.

“Holy shi- this is one big load o’ bullsheissen! Jackson, how’ve you been?” the admiral cried.

“Jamie?! Last I heard, you were sailin’ your little boat!” came an incredulous response.

Jackson hopped down from his tank and jogged to Robinson. “I didn’t think I’d see you again, little bro!” He grasped his younger brother in a bear hug. “I got put in charge of trainin’ this army here, then the sky got real funky for a minute. The next thing we knew, we weren’t Kansas anymore - I mean, yeah, it actually was Kansas! Who’s this beauty?” He gestured to Celestia.

“This is Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria. Princess, this is my older brother, General Jackson. Jack, there’s Princess Cadence, Queen Atlanta, King Flawless Ice, Colonel Crimson Dawn, Major Crystal Snow, Captain Midnight Shadow, and Lieutenant Silver Comet.” James waved his hand at each as he said their names. “You know, you could help us out! We need blitzkrieg. Can ya help us out?”

Author's Note:

Bullsheissen: Bull + scheissen (to poop) = bullshit.

Next chapter, it begins. I promise. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. I have enough armies. This is literally going to be a pony-and-human battle of five armies.

Feedback appreciated.

PreviousChapters Next