• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 13,769 Views, 2,138 Comments

Order and Chaos - Tatsurou



Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness, raises Discord, the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony. You have been warned.

  • ...
25
 2,138
 13,769

The Power of Compromise

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

There were some aspects of parenting Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness, felt he was ideally suited for. He had the power to warp the very fabric of reality within his domain, conjuring anything his young child could possibly need or desire. He knew there could possibly be some unpleasant tasks as far as parenting, but he'd already assigned anything of that sort to Haskill. He also knew there would be emotional moments, and he looked forward to them with breath so baited he'd already caught three Wailords and a Gyarados with an Old Rod. He also knew there would be moments so sweet he would find himself buried in treacle, and headaches that would even make Jyggalag suffer from their intensity (he was looking forward to those, just to spite the grey stick in the mud).

What he had not anticipated was his ward having an equal power to manipulate the Isles, and being just as stubborn...or that this would kick in even with his very first meal.

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

Every time Sheogorath said 'cheese', he'd snap his fingers, shaping the nearest cloud into a massive block of cheese of one sort or another that would provide little Discord with more than enough energy for the entire time unit, whichever one the Isles were working off at the moment. Day, year, septi-second, eon...he never bothered keeping track, especially since the first moment Discord turned the sun and moon into yoyos to play with before flinging them back into the sky. Plainly, time had decided not to put up with it, as the heavenly orbs now only moved if Discord or Sheogorath decided they should.

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

Every time Discord demanded 'choca mik' - whatever that was, Sheogorath still hadn't managed to interpret his baby talk - the little chimera would snap his eagle talons, and the block of cheese in the sky would turn into a fluffy pink cloud that dripped brown liquid. Sheogorath didn't know much about brown liquids, but he was pretty sure they weren't appropriate baby food. In his experience, brown things were foul smelling and good only for pranking mortals that wandered into the Isles, and for that they were delightful! Still not the sort of thing one fed an infant, even if you were Sheogorath and the infant was a mixmatch that would make Hermaeus Mora weep at the nonsense of it all. ...Sheogorath made a mental note to introduce them just to collect the tears. They'd make an excellent beverage, with the taste of butt-hurt and despair.

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

Sheogorath had tried every type of cheese he could think of to get his child to accept it for his meal. Stilton, Pule, Epoisses, Casu Marzu, Camembert, Milbenkäse, Cheddar, Mozarella, Halloumi, Vieux Lille...they'd been at it for hours. But every time he provided a cheese - whether tame or exotic - Discord would insistently create the pink fluffy cloud again. Bits of the cloud burst off every time Sheogorath turned it back into cheese, and the pink balls of fluff rained down around them to settle lightly on the ground. Sheogorath managed to catch a bit and taste it, recognizing it as spun sugar and little else. He made a mental note to see what other food items could be spun in interesting ways to make clouds, then returned his focus to his child.

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

"Cheese!"

"Choca mik!"

Sheogorath stomped his foot, waving his arms in the air as he made a desperate attempt to intimidate Discord into obedience. "Discord, I am your father and the Daedric Prince of Madness, ruler of this land! If I say cheese for dinner, then you will eat your cheese and you will like it, or so help me I will see to it you can eat nothing else!"

Discord, for his part, stuck his tongue out and blew a raspberry crumble into Sheogorath's face. "Choca mik!" he insisted angrily, waving his mismatched arms over his head in a parody of Sheogorath's behavior, flapping his wings and stomping his feet insistently.

Finally pushed behind his endurance, Sheogorath sent a blast of power straight at the pink cloud directly above them. Discord, apparently thinking this was some sort of game, sent an equal blast of power up, distracting Sheogorath from his irritation into wonder that such a blast could come from a creature so young. Admittedly, his own blast had been casual, a barest fraction of his abilities, but for something to match a Daedric Prince even at that level so young-

His thoughts were once more derailed by a rumble in the air. The pink cloud began to swirl above them, darkening to a caramel brown as the fluffs swirled into a semi-liquid consistency. Red Hots lightning began to flash, striking the ground and leaving it spicy as peels of thunder littered the landscape, no sign of the fruit visible anywhere. The cloud then began to hail brown chunks of cheese that bounced off the pair as it paprikaed the ground like a French delicacy.

Discord blinked, picking up a bit of the hail and suckling on it. It melted in his mouth, and he squealed happily. "Choa chi!" he crowed...and ravened for good measure.

Picking up a piece himself, Sheogorath examined it. "A soft...chocolate cheese?" he asked curiously. "Wait...choca mik...chocolate milk? But why would you accept milk and not cheese?"

Discord opened his mouth wide, revealing the single snaggletooth Sheogorath had noticed before...and no other teeth in sight.

"Oh, you don't have teeth yet!" Sheogorath realized. "You can't chew! No wonder you didn't want hard cheeses. Well, as long as you're eating, I suppose this is a good compromise-" He froze, then thawed out slowly. "Compromise? I've never had to compromise before. ...I'm not entirely sure I like it."

Discord stretched a bit of the chocolate cheese into a stick, solidified it, dunked it in the caramel cloud, swirled it in the cotton candy puffs, and offered it to Sheogorath.

The Mad Prince smiled as he accepted the offering. "I suppose I should get used to it. If nothing else, things will be interesting. I wonder what you'll think about what everyone likes to wear."