• Published 9th Nov 2016
  • 3,975 Views, 44 Comments

Moonlights Daughter - Fizzyberries302



A thousand years ago, Princess Luna wished on a star for a daughter to call her own. Her wish was granted, but now her daughter, Princess Songbird must learn to cope after her mother is taken away from her....

  • ...
4
 44
 3,975

Summer Sun

Chapter three

For years, she waited for her mother to come home to her. But with each passing day, she never did, Celestia had given up all hope that her little sister would return. Songbird never lost hope of seeing her mother again. She told herself every night, "My mother will come home, I just know it." Century after century, Songbird grew into a beautiful alicorn mare. At first glance you would think she was Celestia's daughter and not Luna's. Unlike her mother, Songbird was a white alicorn, with a shiny light blue mane and tail. It had now been roughly a thousand years since Nightmare Moons banishment. It had been passed on as a legend by then, as ponies had no proof that it was true. But Songbird knew better, it was around this time that her aunt had started looking for unicorn foals with powerful magic, to teach in her School for Gifted Unicorns. Songbird went with her aunt to all these trips, finally her aunt found the perfect student. A lavender unicorn filly with a dark purple mane with magenta streaks, her name was Twilight Sparkle. Twilight was only ten years old when she was enrolled in the school, for managing to hatch a dragon egg, Twilight named the baby dragon Spike.

Since then Twilight, Spike and Songbird became friends, ironically Twilight was also foal sat by Songbirds adopted cousin, Princess Cadence. When Twilight had grown into a young mare, Celestia sent her to Ponyville to help with preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration a festival that marked the beginning of the longest day of the year. Songbird hadn't been to Ponyville since her mother was banished so she asked if she could go too, as a princess. She didn't want to be separated from her friends. Celestia agreed to let Songbird go with Twilight and Spike. Songbird was going to miss Canterlot, but she would be returning to her foalhood home. Songbird packed her things, including the picture of her and her mother. She still never lost hope that her mother would return. In her heart she was confident that her mother would return very soon. She never told her friends that she was Nightmare Moons daughter, in fear that they'd freak out. Twilight was already freaking out about Nightmare Moons return, after reading about it in a book. Now to the present day.

The chariot arrived in Ponyville safely, Twilight, Songbird and Spike were finally there.

"Why so glum, Twilight? It's the Summer Sun Celebration, everypony should be happy." said Songbird. The alicorn saw the annoyed look on the unicorns face.

"Is this about making new friends?"

"Songbird, I just don't get it. Your aunt said that the story of Nightmare Moon is just a legend, we just need proof that she is coming back. You believe me don't you."

Songbird looked over at her unicorn friend.
"Of course I believe you, I was actually there when she got banished to the moo-"

The alicorn gasped when she realised what she said. She looked away, trying to hide her broken heart.

"You were there! Was she as terrifying as they said in the book?!" asked Twilight.

"I-"

Songbird was saved by a bell when Spike pointed out that they were landing. Songbird paid the drivers and they took off back to Canterlot. Spike got out the map.

"The library should be around here somewhere."

"It's that building that looks like a tree over there." said Songbird pointing to an old house built into a tree.
Spike grumbled and tossed the map away. Twilight still didn't want to be there.

"Twilight come on, I'm sure that everypony in this town is nice and nice can be." said Spike.

As he said that a pink mare, with a fluffy dark pink mane like cotton candy and three balloons as a cutie mark, trotted up. The pink mare took one look at the group, before gasping dramatically and racing off somewhere, leaving the two ponies and dragon stumped at what happened.

"Well that was incredibly creepy." said Songbird.

"Spike, what's the first thing on the list?" asked Twilight.

"First thing on the list is food."

"Oh that would be over at Sweet Apple Acres." said Songbird.

The three friends then trotted over to the apple farm. As they entered the gate, they saw an orange mare with a blonde mane, tied into a ponytail. She was also wearing a cowgirl hat and had three apples for a cutie mark. Songbird nudged Twilight to go say hi. Twilight sighed, defeated and went up to the country mare.

"Um...hi I'm Twilight Sparkle-" Twilight was cut off by the country mare shaking her hoof wildly.

"Well howdy do, Twilight a pleasure making your acquaintance. I'm Applejack, what can I do ya for." she said in a southern accent.

"Umm, my friends and I are here to check on the food for the celebration tomorrow." said Twilight, her hoof sore from Applejack shaking it. Applejack looked over at Spike and Songbird.

"Wait a cotton picking minute! Is that Princess Songbird!" she exclaimed.

"See any other alicorns around here." said Songbird. Applejack bowed politely and led her over to a gazebo.

"Princess Songbird, you must try our appletastic treats and meet the family behind it all."

Songbird was taken aback, but she didn't want to turn down the offer. Applejack whistled and dozens of ponies came running, trampling over Twilight and Spike. Applejack sat Songbird down and Songbird called her friends over. Applejack introduced them to her family, while the Apples piled plates of food in front of the princess. Songbird took a small bite of an apple pie.

"Sweet Celestia, this stuff is better than the food we have back in Canterlot." Applejack blushed.
Twilight spat out the apple that Applejack had shoved in her mouth.

"I'm sorry, but we really need to get going." She tried to walk away but a little red haired filly with a pink bow on her mane, stopped her. What was her name...Apple Bloom wasn't it.

"Aren't y'all gonna stay for brunch." she asked, putting on a puppy face. Twilight tried not to fall for the filly's cuteness.

"I'm sorry, but we have work to do. Besides Songbird is needed somewhere else." she said. The Apples frowned and Songbird pouted.

"Come on Twilight, how can you not resist that adorable little face." She puckered her lips and copied Apple Blooms puppy eyes.
Twilight groaned. "Fine, but just for an hour."

That hour passed quickly and by then, the group were filled up with apple related foods.
"Think I had too much pie." Twilight groaned, her belly was stuffed with goodies. Spike got out the check list.

"Item 2: Weather. Apparently there's supposed to be a pegasus named Rainbow Dash clearing the clouds." he said, looking up. Twilight did too, she saw that there were still a few clouds left in the sky.

"Well she's not doing a good job."

The next thing Twilight, a rainbow light came out of nowhere and knocked her into the mud.

"Twilight!" cried Songbird, rushing to her friends aid.

Twilight tried to stand up but there was some pony on her.
A cyan pegasus with a multicoloured mane and a rainbow lightning zap for a cutie mark.

"Oops, sorry. Here let me help." she said, before flying off and bringing back a raincloud with her. The pegasus jumped on the cloud, causing the rain to fall onto Twilight. When the cloud was empty the mare kicked it away and saw a soaking wet Twilight.

"Oops, I think I got a little carried away." The mare then began to fly around Twilight faster and faster, forming a tornado. The winds dyed down and the rainbow mare hovered in mid air. She looked down and saw that Twilights mane and tail were messy and tangled.
The mare tried to contain a laugh, but failed and she was soon on the ground laughing her head off. Twilight was unimpressed, Songbird was slightly annoyed at the mare for making fun of her closest friend.

"I take it you must be Rainbow Dash. Shouldn't you be clearing the clouds." said Songbird, who was slightly put off by this mares attitude.

"Yeah in a minute, right now I'm trying to practice."

"What for?!" asked Spike.

"For the best flyers in Equestria, the Wonderbolts. They're going to perform at the Summer Sun Celebration. And I'm going to show them how cool I am, so I can be on their team." Rainbow Dash, finished her speech with a smug grin.

Songbird smirked and decided to use her princess nature to make her get back to work.

"Wonderbolts, as in the Wonderbolts. Ha! What a laugh, a highly doubt that they would allow a slacker on their team." she said, smirking at Rainbow Dash. The pegasus was taken aback by this.

"Oh yeah, I'm one of the best flyers in Equestria. I could clear these clouds in ten seconds flat."

"Prove it then."

Rainbow Dash then took to the skies, kicking cloud after cloud. She was going so fast that, you blink and you'll miss it. Songbird, Twilight and Spike were stunned. They just stood there, mouths open. Rainbow Dash had indeed finished kicking the clouds in ten seconds.

"Alright, Dashie, you proved your point," said Songbird.

"Come on Twilight let's go find some pony to help you with your mane. Ya coming Spike?!"

In five minutes they were at the town hall. It had been decorated with sparkly everything; ribbons, streamers, bows and more ribbons.
"Looks like the decor is coming along well." said Twilight, she really wanted to go to the library and study.

"It's beautiful..." said Spike, dreamily. "It is Spike, the decor is lovely." said Songbird.

"Not that, her..."

Songbird turned and saw Spike staring at a white unicorn mare, with a dark blue mane and tail in a perfectly fine style and three diamonds for a cutie mark. Songbird noticed that Spike was staring dreamily at the unicorn. The princess chuckled.
Did Spike really have a crush on this mare? Twilight approached the unicorn.

"Good afternoon-"

"Not now darling, I'm in the middle of something," said the unicorn as she tied a red bow around a post. "Yes, Rarity. You've done it again. Now how can I help yo-"

The mare, or as they now knew as Rarity, gasped as if she had been stabbed with a knife.

"Darling what happened to your hair?" she asked. Twilight looked at her tangled mane. "Oh this, long story. Well, we'll just be going now so we'll be out of your hair."

"My hair, what about your hair?" cried Rarity, dragging Twilight back-stage. Songbird and Spike followed behind.

In minutes they were inside a beautiful boutique, owned by Rarity. The unicorn had fixed Twilights mane and tail, and was getting her to try on different clothes. Twilight shot Songbird a glance that said one word, 'Help'.

"So, where are you all from?" asked Rarity.

"We're here from Canterlot to help with the celebration. I'm Songbird, Celestias niece." said Songbird. Right as she said she was Celestias niece, Rarity gasped.

"A Princess, in my boutique. This is a dream come true. Oh you must let me give you a makeover darling, light blue is your colour, right?" she said, frantically.

"I would like a new mane and tail style." said Songbird, fluffing up her mane. Rarity beamed.

"What kind of style, darling." Songbird looked around the boutique at all the styles. None seemed like her. Then she glanced at Rarity's mane and tail. They were perfect.
"I'd like you to do my hair in your style."

Rarity was shocked. A princess wanted the same mane style as her!

"Certainly darling, but I must admit. Your mane is too short for my style. But can still make it fabulous." With a little snip and snap, a simple curl and straightener, Rarity had styled Songbirds mane and tail.

"It's beautiful Rarity. Thank you, but now we really must go, a princess has her royal duties." said Songbird.

A little while later, the group were walked down the road back to the library, Spike was still swooning over Rarity. "Wasn't she the greatest." he said dreamily.

"Settle down Romeo." said Songbird. If only her cousin was here, Cadence was the Princess of Love. Twilight was fed up, but they still had to check on one last thing, Music. Songbird loved music, she had a decent singing voice too.

A short distance down the path, they heard a soft melody. About a hundred yards away was a butter coloured pegasus with a pink flowing mane, with three butterflies for her cutie mark and she was conducting a bird choir.
Twilight approached the mare.

"Hello there!" she said a little to loudly, scaring the birds away. The mare jumped and spun around. Twilight looked at her sheepishly.

"Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to scare your birds. Say what is your name." she asked. The mare was clearly a shy pony, because she hid her face behind her long pink mane. She mumbled something that none of them could make out.

"I'm sorry could you repeat that." Same result.
The mare whimpered, then she looked over Twilights shoulder and saw-

"A baby dragon! Oh my gosh, I've never seen a baby dragon. He's so cute." The mare squealed. She rushed past Twilight and stood next to Spike.

Spike blushed. "I know." he said smugly.

"Oh my Faust! He talks, what do dragons talk about. I'm Fluttershy by the way."

"Well, what would you like to know, Fluttershy?" asked Spike.

"Absolutely everything."

Twilight groaned, this was going to be a long day.

After for what seemed like forever, the group had arrived back at the library.

"Well, it's been great meeting you Fluttershy, but we really have to do some other stuff here. Duty calls." said Twilight, picking up Spike with her magic.

They all stepped inside, slamming the door in Fluttershy's face.

"Rude much." Spike grumbled.

"I'm sorry, Spike. But we have to get to work trying to find proof that Nightmare Moon is coming back and we're running out of time. Now where's the light."

As Twilight said that, a light turned on revealing ponies of every kind in the library.

"SURPRISE!" They all cried.

Twilight grumbled, Songbird recognised a certain pink pony from earlier.

"Surprise! Were you surprised, were you, were you!" she asked, repeatedly.

"What is this?!" asked Songbird, out loud.

"A welcome to Ponyville party!" said the pink mare. "I'm Pinkie Pie and I know that your new because I've never seen you before in Ponyville and-" Pinkie Pie gasped, dramatically when she saw Songbirds wings.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Your Princess Songbird aren't you!" she asked.

Songbird beamed. "Yes, I am."

The other ponies in the room gasped and bowed in the presence of Celestias niece.
Songbird giggled.

She also recognised the ponies from earlier. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy were there.

Twilight had just about enough of this rubbish and stormed up to her room, or maybe it was because she had just drunk some hot sauce. Songbird then remembered what was happening later on. She had to tell Twilight sooner or later that Nightmare Moon was her mother.

But what would she think of her?