• Published 1st Nov 2016
  • 1,380 Views, 57 Comments

This is what we do - Foxgear



Life has changed for Big Mac, he's graduated High school, runs the Apple family farm, hunts monsters, and is soon to be married. He couldn't be happier with his day to day, but as the day to day danger grows. How will he keep his loved ones safe?

  • ...
10
 57
 1,380

Monday, the worse way to start a new week

This is what we do chapter 8

By Foxgear


Darkness surrounded her. Not only that it was cold, very cold! She shivered, holding her arms tight against her body and making the startling discovering that she had no clothes! She eeped and crouched to the ground to cover up as much as she could. The sound of cruel mocking laughter echoed from the darkness. A slithery sensation crawled up her leg. She looked down to see an inky black snake with piercing gray eyes like the void staring up at her. The snake slithered up her leg, wrapping around her thigh, it’s tongue licking her skin.

“Get off me!” She screamed grabbing the snake by the head and tossing it away into the darkness, but more snakes crawled up her body, wrapping around her limbs and pulling her into the darkness. The black inky liquid sucking her down. She cried out for help as one snake rose in front her, hissing at her with its forked tongue and began to creep closer. She screamed louder as the snake slithered for her mouth hissing gleefully. She tried to close her mouth, but inky black tendrils attached to her jaw and kept it her mouth open.

The snake rose, hissing, “You're mine!” Before slithering into her mouth.


Rainbow awoke in a cold sweat, frantically fighting against her blankets that wrapped around her like the snakes had been. She threw the blankets off with a frantic cry, her breathing heavy and shot.

“The fuck was that? A nightmare?” She said aloud as she patted herself down. She had clothes, there were no snakes, the sun was peeking out over the horizon and she was hot as hell, literary hot in the sense she was sweating like a pig and hot in the fact she was a little vain. Not like Rarity levels of vain, but she knew she looked good… and she was going off the rails.

“Rainbow! Get your ass out of bed! It’s time for school!” Her mother called from downstairs.

With a groan and roll Rainbow flopped down on the floor of her room and crawled towards the bathroom in the hallway. Her stomach was in knots and bows, a slimy icky feeling swash around in her tummy, almost as if she had really eaten a snake.

“Rainbow!”

“I’m coming Mom!” She screamed back in frustration as she pulled herself up to the toilet bowl, a wave of vile quickly rising in her throat. She puked. Huffing air as she tried to fight down the next wave of vile, but she couldn’t, she threw up again, again, and again till her stomach was empty. Sweat dripping down her forehead she leaned back against the door, feeling cold and empty.

In the doorway, her mother stood in her olive-green business suit, her grayscale hair falling like a black and gray water off her shoulders as she finished putting in her earrings. Her nose wrinkled at the stench of the vomit and her buttery lipstick covered lips were marred in a frown.

“If you think you staying home because you got sick eating sweets, grease, and whatever the fucking else all weekend you’re going to have a long day ahead of your kiddo. I told you to watch how much crap you eat when you’re with your friends, but you just seem to refuse to listen!” Rainbow’s mother’s phone beep, earning her ire as she looked at the text displayed on the screen. “Fucking publishers… look I don’t care how you do it, go in your fucking PJ’s for all I care but get to school young lady!”

Rainbow stared dead-eyed at the wall as her mother stormed away, the sound of her heels thumping against hardwood floor all the way to the door. The door slammed closed with such force it made the china display downstairs rattle as if further clarify her mother’s frustration.

Mindlessly Rainbow stood up, grabbing some medicine from the cabinet and tossed the pills down her gullet without even a sip of water. She flushed the toilet, not even noticing the black tint that marred the swirling water as she drunkenly staggered into her room to get ready for school.

Arriving at school via bus Rainbow met an equally sickly looking Pinkie Pie hanging out by the broken horse statue. The normally perky pink girl looked sour, like someone killed her puppy, fried it, and then made her eat it. Her hair was slightly deflated, her eyes were sunken and had deep black raccoon circles under them.

“Did you have a dream about a snake slithering down your throat too?” Rainbow joked trying to get some pep back into the pink girl.

Pinkie just looked up with sunken black eyes and said, “No, I had a dream that black thorny vines grew under my skin, wrapped around my muscles and then tore me apart from the inside out and then used by remains to grow in a big inky black evil looking tree that produced poisonous fruit that kills everyone I loved. I also I feel like I drank tar, threw it up, ate it again, then repeat.”

“Ok… nice to know I’m not the only one feeling shitty after the party,” Rainbow said disturbed as she backed away, but Pinkie grabbed her hand tightly. The pink girl’s eyes were wide with fear, but what she said next really had Rainbow freaked out.

“It’s not gone, it’s still inside us, it’s still inside us….” Pinkie mumbled, twitching like the girl from the exorcist, she fell back against the statue, the color returning her skin, even her hair was puffy again. She then let out a big yawn, hopped up to her feet, looking and feeling like her usual cheery self. “Hey Rainbow! How are you today? I mean you look a little sick, but that’s never stopped you!”

Rainbow blinked uncomfortably, uncertain if this was some sort of prank, which she could not handle right now. “Um yeah, I woke up feeling a little sick after a nightmare, you said you had a nightmare too… just now and that you felt sick too… right?”

Pinkie cocked her head to the side, looking perplexed, “Did I? I must have been talking in my sleep. Maud had to drop me off early today, so I thought I’d catch a nice morning nap before school.”

“So… you were sleeping… just now… and you don’t remember me talking to you?”

Pinkie smiled, “Nope! And there’s the bell! Better get to class! See ya at lunch Rainbow!”

As she watched the hyper pink girl run away Rainbow shivered and hugged herself, (What the fuck is going on?) She thought walking into the school. The twisting in her stomach worsening with every step.

At lunch, the girls gathered at their usual table. The energy was usually low for the group of teens. Twilight sat with a pile of phones, hurriedly programming her monster hunting app into her friends’ phones between bits of food. Sunset and Applejack sat beside the tech wiz seemingly lost in their own thoughts.

Rainbow’s stomach was still in knots like something was slithering around inside it, it gave her the shivers. Beside her Pinkie Pie was looking normal for Pinkie Pie and Rarity and Fluttershy seemed fine too.

(Maybe it’s just a bug and I’m delirious.) Rainbow thought, hoping all the crazy stuff was part of whatever flu bug she caught. She was still feeling crappy, but she could at least hide it from her friends, she even broke out some makeup to hide the raccoon eyes she was sporting. The makeup was, of course, something Rarity gave her as a birthday present. Why? Rainbow didn’t know as Rarity would know she wouldn’t use it, but it came in handy today at least.

“And I’m done!” Twilight announced handing back their phone, which now featured a slick new app marked by a wondercolt icon. “With this, we can receive alerts and scan any monsters we see or look up anything we need via the back hole I made in Maddie’s computer server. Now we just have to sit back and wait for…(BEEP!)… an alert… that was quick.”

They all looked at their screens as the app opened their maps and showed a red skull icon and a timer.

“Monster to appear in Hop’s valley in ten hours.” Applejack read aloud looking at each of them with a warily smile. “So, who’s free to go monster hunting tonight?”

The girls grimaced, Hop’s valley was nearly a three-hour drive away, not only that it was park forest, on top of that it was school night and on top of all that it was a Monday. Adding to all that, their last magical adventure had only ended less than forty-eight hours ago. To say the least, their excitement was minimal, except for one girl.

“Count me in! I’m ready to kick some butt!” Rainbow shouted with as much energy as she could manage. She really wasn’t feeling up to the hunt physically as her stomach was still killing her, but she also really wanted to hunt too and thus couldn’t let her friends know she wasn’t feeling good, which is why she yelled. Not only because it was expected, but it would tip her friends off that she wasn’t feeling well if she didn’t. They were very in tune like that.

“I’m glad to hear that Rainbow,” Applejack said smiling, which prompted the rest of the girls to chime in their willingness to help. Rainbow took a moment to bask in the glow of attention until her stomach began to turn.

“Um… I got to go to the bathroom!” She yelled, earning a few odd blinks as she departed. She ran as fast as she could her hands flying to her mouth as she felt the rising vile. Choking it down for the moment she passed the cafeteria bathrooms, instead going for the more deserted bathrooms on the other side of the old gym. There she ran into the nearest stall, the door banging behind her as she fell to her knees and relieved her stomach. Rainbow panted hard as she swayed, her vision blurry as she stared at the toilet bowl, stained with inky black vile. Her vision cleared and she could see the vile for herself for the first time. She recoiled at the sight of it and scooted away from it, pressing her back against the stall door as her breathing began to pick up. Her stomach twisting like a pretzel. She grabbed the edges of the bowl again, dry heaving as something rose from her stomach, she heaved and heaved, finally something slithered out of her mouth.

Rainbow gulped, a cold sweat running down her body as she leaned over the bowl to see a black baby snake, the same snake she saw in her dreams, stare innocently up at her with voidless eyes.

“What the fuck…”

The snake swam around the bowl absorbing the black vile and grew! The snake rose out of the bowl, growing to the height of the stall! It hissed and slithered wrapping around Rainbow like a boa constrictor. The rainbow-haired girl struggled as the snake squeezed tighter and tighter around her body, completely trapping her arms and legs. She whimpered as the snake flicked its tongue at her, licking her cheek with its forked tongue.

(Your mine now!) It hissed, spreading its jaws wide!

“NO!” Rainbow screamed, anger flooding her body as her raspberry eyes glared directly into the voidless eyes of the snake. The metal of the stall began to spark as lightning shot forth from her body, electrocuting the snake and freeing her arms! She grabbed the snake by the head, sending thousands of volts into its body. The snake twitched and squirmed in her grip, hissing angrily at her, she poured on the lightning and the snake exploded covering Rainbow in black ink and making her stagger backward out the stall and against the bathroom wall. She stared at the stall breathless and confused. There was no vile inside the stall, yet black vile covered her chest.

“The fuck is happening to me.”

From the other stall, Cloud Kicker emerged looking worried, “Um… are you…” She looked over Rainbow’s black stained shirt and frightened expression and at the smoking metal of the neighboring stall. “I guess this is a little rhetorical, but are you ok?”

Rainbow looked at her and then to the stall and then back to Cloud Kicker, “Um… yeah,” She said, lying through her teeth, “Just a case of indigestion, with some magic, you know how it is.” In flash of inhuman speed, Rainbow appeared in front of cloud kicker, grabbed her firmly by the wrist and forced her back into her stall, sitting her on the toilet seat. “I’d appreciate it if you don’t tell anyone about this.” She said with an overly zealous smile that reminded Cloud Kicker of the joker. The poor frightened girl nodded quickly, wanting to get away from Rainbow as soon as possible, but the rainbow haired girl had one more demand. “Oh, and I’m going to need a new shirt,” Rainbow said sweetly, which creeped Cloud Kicker the fuck out. “Would you mind giving me yours?”

Cloud Kicker blushed as Rainbow caressed her cheek, looking more devious then the rainbow girl had ever looked before. “Um… sure Rainbow… what are friends for? But I can… um… get another one from my gym locker… um, could you stop looking me like that? Um… Rainbow what are you doing?”

Rainbow leered at her as the Rainbow girl pressed her forefinger against Cloud Kicker’s forehead, “Nothing,” Rainbow said sweetly, which did not sound like Rainbow at all! “Just knocking you and erasing your memories. I mean it’s not like I don’t trust you, but… I can see the doubt in your eyes, you don’t trust me, which means you’re planning to betray me. And I don’t like traitors.”

“Rainbow no I-!” Cloud Kicker didn’t get to finish the sentence as Rainbow zapped her, her body twitched as her eye’s blanked out and drool fell from her lips as she passed out in the toilet. Rainbow removed her shirt and replaced her stained one on Cloud Kicker, laying it on her like a blanket. Luckily the black stain covered up the logo, so no one was going to figure out it was hers. Rainbow shut the stall door and left the bathroom


“Rainbow Dash!”

“Huh, what Rarity?” Rainbow said looking around surprised, she was back at the lunchroom, her lunch half way eaten, yet she didn’t remember eating… strange.

Rarity sighed, looking annoyed, “I was asking why you changed shirts after going to the bathroom?”

Rainbow looked down, surprised that she was indeed wearing a different shirt, a light purple shirt at that, she didn’t even remember owning a shirt like this. Kind of looked like Cloud Kickers’s. “The water faucet broke and sprayed water on me, so I went to my gym locker for an extra shirt, must have opened the wrong locker.”

Everyone accepted the explanation and resumed eating lunch while discussing the plan for tonight.


Aria came roaring into the farmyard with her pick up, flinging gravel as she slammed the brakes and came running out of the truck to the house. From the porch, swing Adagio watched the whole thing while sipping a cup of tea and looking through a catalog of colors for tablecloths. She watched with an assumed smile as Aria stormed into the house.

“Aren’t you going to help her get home?” Adagio asked indicating towards Maddie, who still sat in the cab of the truck with her own mischievous grin.

The pink siren’s face ignited with rage and embarrassment as she covered her chest, “Fuck that, she can crawl to the shack for all I care.” She said slamming the screen door.

From the cab, Maddie shouted, “I was just checking you for breast cancer! Honest!” Aria came storming back out the door with an arm full of apples and gave one of them a good chuck! Maddie ducked back inside the cab just in time to avoid the apple projectile but hit her leg cast against the gear stick. A grin danced on Aria’s lips as the mad scientist screamed in agony.

“Like music to my ears,” Aria chuckled walking back into the house.

After the pain faded Maddie clumsily got out of the pickup, bouncing on one foot as she fished for her crutches from the truck bed. She shot Adagio an ‘are you going to help me?’ look, to which the pregnant siren point to her belly with a wide grin.

“What about Sonata then?” Maddie asked as she finally retrieved her crutches. She would have thought she’d get some gratitude for saving Mac’s life… ok she didn’t do that, but she had been there helping him, that had to count for something?

At her question Adagio merely leaned back in her seat, pretending to look thoughtful, “I could call for her to help you… and I might have, had you not gotten yourself kicked out of the hospital by Nyx for harassing the nurses. You're fucking lucky she didn’t lay the lawsuits on us!”

Maddie sulked away from the yellow siren, feeling some small amount of shame for her actions. She did perhaps go overboard in her teasing, but it’s not her fault that about ninety percent of the nurses at Canterlot General were all cute and so easily flustered. She really thought the male nurses would have taken her teasing better than the females.

“Hey, stop zoning out and listen to me, Maddie!” Adagio snapped.

She rolled her eyes, “Yes mom, so who did Nyx file the lawsuits under?” A shiver ran up Maddie’s spine as Adagio’s smirk widened to evil proportions. “You didn’t!”

Adagio leaned back in her seat like a cat that just caught her prey, “I’m sure Moondancer will love filing all those complaints for you.”

It took a second for Maddie to process what the siren said, but when she did she was hobbling as fast she could to her shack. She needed to get to a phone, she needed to call her lawyer, hack the hospital computer, anything was better than the hell Moondancer was probably going to rain down on her!

(I’m not unfaithful, I just like to flirt, you know that right Moondancer?) She thought in her head, trying to think of what she would say to her friend. (Ugh, she’s probably going to just slap me the moment she sees me. Better just focus on getting home, paperwork takes time, maybe I can intercept…)

Maddie’s entire train of thought came to a screaming halt as she opened the door to her shack. The first thing she noticed, her chair was three degrees off from where she left it, second, there was the smell of strawberry’s, the shampoo, not the actual berry, and the smell of violets and sunflowers. All smells that were not native to her humble abode. Her fist clenched tights against the handles of her crutches as her vision turned red and magic began to pour from her like an open faucet.

“WHO THE FUCK TOUCHED MY STUFF!”


Vice Principal Luna strode quickly down the halls of her school not stopping for anything as she marched her way to the nurse’s office. The school nurse, Nurse Red heart, called her saying something urgent needed her attention. The foreboding feeling in her gut made her wish Celestia hadn’t taken the day off, but what was the office of Vice Principle for, if not for times like these? Taking the final turn Luna opened the nurse’s door and entered.

“What’s the problem?” She demanded, getting straight to business. Nurse Red Heart wordlessly gestured her over to one of the beds, where Cloud Kicker, the student that had been reported to have skipped all her afternoon classes, lay with a finger sized burn mark atop her forehead. “What happened?”

“I don’t know, she was found by one of the students in Coach Spitfire’s class. They found her unconscious and…”

“And?” Luna urged the nurse.

Red heart leaned in, “She was shirtless, but that was all, and all her other clothes were intact, and they did find this dirty shirt on top of her.” She held up the black stained shirt for Luna to see. “From what I can tell she wasn’t… you know, but I wanted to talk to you before calling the police.”

Luna pressed the bridge of her nose, (Great, just fucking great, now I really wish Celestia hadn’t taken the day off. Something magic related she could have handled, but this?)

“Better call the police, just to be safe,” Luna said taking out her phone and typing nine-one-one, but before she hit the call button, she instead switched to her contacts to a certain someone.

(I’m not trying to cover this up, I’m just… doing things quietly,) She tried to assure herself as she pressed call on the number, her phone began to dial and then a ringtone come from the hall? Luna turned towards the door, where a silhouette stood with something to its ear. A voice came through her phone, but she dropped it to her side as she opened the door. There he stood with his fiery red hair, piercing yellow eyes, and that devious smirk that’s still had its hooks on her heart. Her ex-boyfriend Ferocious.

He looked at her with surprise as he closed his phone to look her over. His smile grew and she blushed, but quickly tried to hide it by turning away, only to turn back around as she didn’t want Red Heart to see her blushing.

“You’re looking good, Lunie, didn’t expect you to call me.” Ferocious drawled with a smirk. “You certainly haven’t gotten any less pretty than last time I saw you.

“You’re looking good too, Feri, I mean Ferocious.” Luna corrected, cursing herself for using her nickname for him. He was an ex-boyfriend for reason dammit!

A cough brought both of them the present as surprise! Another person from her past arrived, Ferocious’s friend, Stryker Six. The blue haired man gestured to Ferocious, who nodded and waved him off.

“Yes, yes, I know, sorry to barge in on you Lunie…”

“Vice Principal Luna,” She corrected with her armed crossed.

“Vice Principle, right got it, but we are on official business here, I appreciate the call, but…”

“I called for an official reason too,” Luna said sharply, motioning for the two get in the nurse’s office. “But I’m doubting that two Biker Gangsters turned cops will be of much help after all. Now get in here before any students see you.”

“For the last time, we were in a biker club, not a gang,” Ferocious growled as he entered.

Nurse Red Heart could feel the tension between the three other adults and thus decided to refrain from talking as she led them to the bed ridden Cloud Kicker and stepped back to let the Vice Principle explain the situation.

Luna cleared throat looking very uncomfortable, “We found this girl shirtless in one of the girl’s bathroom’s, we want to know if she’s been… you know…”

“Violated?” Ferocious said bluntly. “Can’t say for sure without talking to her, but I assume she hasn’t woken up yet, so you want to try and keep things hush-hush before spilling the beans. Very dubious Luna, but smart in some respects.”

“I didn’t call you to smart off, now tell me what I need to know or do I need to call a real detective?”

Ferocious made a noise, “Don’t get you panties in a twist Lunie, she was differently attacked, looks like someone might have tasered her forehead, but from her skirt and the fact, I don’t smell… bodily fluids… and the lack of defensive wounds and bruising, she wasn’t violated at least. Still, someone has one hell of a shirt fetish.” Cricket noises. “Sorry, dark humor, helps you stay sane on the job.”

As Red Heart and Luna breathed a sigh of relief Ferocious continued to frown. He hadn’t lied when he said the girl was attacked, but what attacked her is what worried him. He could barely make it out, but there were traces of dark magic around her head wound. Left alone, it could lead to some serious problems down the line.

“Stryker, I’ll take Luna to talk about what we came to investigate, in her office,” He said looking directly at Luna to let her know not to argue. She said sure and he smiled in thanks, “You stay here and get a statement from Nurse Red Heart and make sure we get this girl’s name. We’ll have to talk to her after she comes too.” He turned to Stryker pointing at his forehead, Stryker nodded in understanding. “Let’s get going Lunie.”

“Will you stop calling me that!” She growled as they stepped out into the hallway. She marched as fast she could without running, while Ferocious made long strides that counted for two her of hers. This only made her angrier as she knew he was doing it just to be stupid. “You haven’t matured at all, have you.”

“And you still stay up late and play video games in your underwear.”

Luna gasped in horror, looking around to make sure nobody was around to hear that, “How do you know that?”

“The look on your face, but I may look into your window at night from time to time,” He gave her a big goofy smile, one that she knew meant he was just joking. To which she lightly punched in the arm for.

“I guess neither of us has matured then,” She said feeling exhausted, wondering how she put up with him when they were dating. Oh yeah, she had been young, stupid and full of energy. “So, why are you actually here?” Luna asked as she leads him into her office. Offering him a cup of coffee, to which he accepted.

“Thanks, Lunie,” He said pretending to look around the office while she gave him the stink eye. He hid his smile with his mug as he looked the pictures on the wall. One picture caught him by surprise and he got up for a closer look. The picture was off Luna and Celestia with Nico and Applejane and their kids, but if you looked closer you could see him standing in the corner hiding from the camera. “I remember this, this is the day Nico and AJ asked us to be godparents. I hadn’t been that embarrassed since I was asked to be Nico’s best man. I bet the kids asked a lot of questions about this picture.”

“Not really, all the kids know I’m their godmother so I didn’t feel the need to hide it anymore, it’s kind of nice looking at old pictures at work. Brings back memories.”

Ferocious nodded, “Sure does, you still have that one of when we went to Sturgis’s? That was a fun time!”

Luna fought down a blush, remembering the trip, “Yes, but obviously not here, and to get back on topic, why are you here Ferocious?”

“I’m just following up on the Gilda attack, I needed to ask you and Celestia some questions about that night, but you had already left for camp. Kind of strange both Principles would go and leave nobody in charge of the school or this there a sub-vice principle too?”

“Very funny, but no, we just leave the most senior staff member in charge when both Celestia and I are gone, which was Granny Smith in case you’re wondering. Celestia and I have a lot of fond memories of Camp Everfree. We were hoping to get away from all the magic… I mean stress and decided to spend some time at a summer camp would be a great way to get some paid vacation.”

Ferocious gave her a strange look, but it quickly disappeared as he pulled out his notepad and began jaunting things down. “I see, I’ll have to call the camp to confirm, but I don’t see any reason to doubt you. Tell me, what do you think of the incident? See anything strange that night?”

“Other than the unpredicted storm? Nothing really, Rainbow was a little upset about being kicked off the field, but she was surrounded by her friends during and after the game and others, she couldn’t have attacked that girl.”

“Rainbow, as in Rainbow Dash?”

“Correct.”

Ferocious put away his notepad, “I see, thank you, Luna, please feel free to give me a call if anything else comes up, official business or not.” Luna took the card while shaking her head, trying to keep her smile hidden. It was nice to know he could still charm her he thought walking towards the door. He took a final glance at the photo of them and the Apples, his mind going back to their younger days.

“Do you think…,” He began only to stop himself short, his fist clenched tightly at his side, he left for a reason. To keep her safe. Dealing with magic stuff was too dangerous, he couldn’t drag her into it, not after what happened to Nico and Applejane. “Never mind, nice seeing you Luna, tell Celestia I said hi.”

Luna stared as the door closed behind him, wondering what he was about to say.


Applejack pulled into the camp parking lot at Hop’s valley, Sunset and Twilight crammed next to her in the cab of the truck. Pulling up beside her was Rarity in her white Acadia with the others. They all got out and gathered around the tailgate of her truck where she revealed their arsenal to them.

“Oh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about!” Rainbow said excitedly as she pulled one of the many M1 carbines from the bed of the truck.

“Um… Applejack… could you please provide the details of why you have a truck full of firearms? Pretty Please?” Rarity asked, voicing hers and the concerns of the others.

“My great grandpa’s storage shed, he brought home a few different things when he came back from Korea. Shouldn’t have to worry about them blowing up or anything, they were still in the crates when I found them. Everybody should get three clips each, each clip has thirty caliber rounds, making sixty shots per person.” Applejack rattled off as she handed out the rifles. “So, who’s ready to hunt some monsters?”

The girls gave a weak ‘Aye’ as they flicked on their flashlights and wondered into the darkness of the forest.

Author's Note:

Hope the chapter wasn't too disturbing, I'm never sure the line between WTF and just out right gross is