• Published 1st Nov 2016
  • 1,381 Views, 57 Comments

This is what we do - Foxgear



Life has changed for Big Mac, he's graduated High school, runs the Apple family farm, hunts monsters, and is soon to be married. He couldn't be happier with his day to day, but as the day to day danger grows. How will he keep his loved ones safe?

  • ...
10
 57
 1,381

Into the woods

This is what we do Chapter 31
By Foxgear


Mac rolled out of bed or tried to but Adagio’s arm was firmly wrapped around his body keeping rooted to the bed and his back pressed against her bosom. He tried to remove her hand, but it only made her fingers dig deeper into his flesh. “You're awake, aren’t you?” He drawled, a mischievous giggle his answer as Adagio rolled over and crawled atop his shoulder giving his peck another squeeze.

“You squeeze mine all the time, I just thought to return the favor.”

“Huh, having any fun?” He asked Adagio pouted as she slumped against his body.

“It’s not as enjoyable you make it seem.” She squeezed her own breast biting her lip as she shuttered. “Damn, these babies are sensitive as hell now.”

“You’re the one that came onto me last night,” Mac reminded her sitting up, he scooped Adagio into his arms and set her firmly on his lap. Softly he massaged her back, kneading her skin with his rough knuckles chuckling as she moaned. “I come home just before dawn and your frisky as fox and wouldn’t take no for an answer. Even though we have an assortment of guests and a lot of work to do.”

Adagio grinned over her shoulder, “It’s not like we’re unused to people hearing us.”

“We usually send Aria and Sonata out of the house.”

“What if I like having others listen in?”

He laughed, “I don’t think they had a choice. Not the way you scream.”

Adagio huffed, hugging her chest, “This is my house, I’ll scream however I like when having sex with my mate.”

“Ok, ok,” Mac said patting her on the head. “Next time when it gets warm again, I take you out to the pond where you scream as loud as you like.”

“That pond is how I ended up like this,” Adagio pointed to her belly. “Though I did rather enjoy that. Let’s do that again for the next one too.”

“It’s a date, now what time is it? I need to go the ambulance crash today with Stryker and Limestone.” Mac stood up forcing Adagio to her feet. She stood defiantly looking at him with a pouting glare. He found it hard to take her seriously when she was glaring at him naked. Not that he was wearing anything either. “Feeling jealous?”

“I want to go,” She said sharply. “I’m getting tired of being cooped up here. Also, I don’t trust that woman.”

“Limestone? You haven’t even met or seen her.”

“I’ve seen her at the market from time to time, she’s too pretty for a tomboy.”

“Well, she is that… a Tomboy I mean, but I think she’s more worried about her sister then interested in me.” Mac reasoned, but Adagio’s expression didn’t change. “Look there’s nothing between us, even if she did fancy me I have you, you’re carrying our child, and you know it’s dangerous to leave the farm when your carrying.”

“Rarity attacked us just the other day, was I not in danger then?” She countered sharply.

Mac scratched his head, feeling a little cornered. “Well, yes, but here we at least have systems and plans in place to keep you and everyone safe, and there’ll be more people around here to help protect you then if we’re off in the middle of who knows where.” Adagio shifted, but quickly reaffirmed her stance. “I know you don’t like it.”

“I don’t, I hate being constantly protected, yet…” Her hand hovered over her belly. “Yet, I would be afraid if I weren’t. I’d hate for something to happen because I was too selfish, but all these stupid hormones and crap, like last night I just really, really wanted you.” Adagio began to sniffle before breaking down into tears and hugged him tightly burying her face in his chest. “Now I’m sobbing like a bitch, and I don’t know why. Why couldn’t I just lay an egg like back home? Yeah, next time, we’re going to Equestria, and I’m laying an egg! Screw this human hormone imbalance shit!”

“We’ll talk about that next time,” Mac awkwardly said stroking Adagio’s back to calm her. “Look I need to get ready, they’ll be enough people here to keep you company. I’ll be taking Sonata with me today.”

Adagio backed away wiping her eyes. “That’s smart, she can see dark energy better than Aria and I can.” She fiddled with her fingers, her eyes glancing back and forth. “Say Mac… do you think… well… do you think Sixes will get the portal fixed? And do you think after this all this the monster hunting stuff will be over with?”

Mac took a moment to reply, mulling the questions over. “Well, I’m certain Sixes can fix the portal, it’s just a matter of time. As for the monster business… well, who knows. Why?”

“Well, it’s just…I know you might not like this idea, but when the portal is fixed, and this thing with the girls is finished. Would you consider letting Sixes station Night Patrollers here?” Adagio shook her and looked him firmly in the eyes. “No, I want you to tell him to station Night Patrollers here. This burden…” She took a breath. “It’s not just yours to carry.”

He frowned, leaned down and grabbed his pants and shirt off the floor. “I’ll think about it.” He said stepping past her.


After a quick microwaved breakfast burrito Mac got in the pick-up with Sonata climbing into the passenger seat. From the porch, Aria and Adagio waved as they pulled out of the yard. As they turned onto the road, Mac sniffed, smelling the fresh scent of manure coming off Sonata, the blue siren scrunching her nose at the smell.

“You did chores this morning?” Mac inquired. Things were so hectic that he couldn’t recall the chore schedule.

“Yeah,” Sonata said with a sigh. “It was supposed to be Aria’s turn, but since she picked you up so late last night, she said I had to do them. I tripped in the cow pen and… ugh, I washed my hands three times with soap, and they still smell.”

“Shit happens,” Mac quoted with a smile, Sonata pouted, not appreciating the jest. “How are you feeling? You up for this?”

Sonata looked at him cocking her head to the side. “What do you mean?”

“Well… it’s just you’ve had a bad run of the woods these past few times. The Grau incident was collectively bad for all of us, but you got chased down by those cyclops in Cloudsdale.” Mac glanced from the road to Sonata. “You’ve just haven’t seemed… as peppy since then.”

“It’s not the first time any of us have almost died. When Tundra attacked the farm, she got all of us, but…” Sonata’s lips quivered, and she shivered. “I guess the cyclops left an impact on me, even more then Grau did because at least I wouldn’t have died alone.”

The pick-up swerved toward the ditch Mac quickly grabbing the wheel with both hands and straightened out. He was bit taken back by Sonata’s comment, more then he expected he would be. After a few awkward seconds, he replied, “So um… you wouldn’t have mind dying if someone else with you? Dying is something we're all afraid of Sonata, but…”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” She interrupted. “I mean, well… I just don’t like being alone. I’ve always had Aria and Sonata with me for all my life. Being alone out in the woods it hit me just how afraid I was of dying alone.” Sonata massaged her arm glancing at Mac. “I’m also afraid that someday my sisters and I will split. Aria wants to find a mate, she’s been talking about going back to Equestria, you and Adagio are probably going to have more kids, and the house will soon be cramped and I… I don’t know what I would do if I had to leave.”

“We have plenty of Land Sonata, we could build you a house right next to or near the farmhouse.”

“But I would still be alone inside it.” She retorted. “I would just be the crazy aunt living next door to afraid to go out on her own.”

Mac sighed as they rolled into town. “That’s up to you Sonata. You could find a mate for yourself and start a family. I get that change is hard to except. You can imagine how hard it was for Applejack and Applebloom to except me leaving the house to live on the farm and then all the other changes, but that’s life.” He reached over and patted her on the leg. “It’ll be fine, it’s not like Adagio is going to kick you out tomorrow or ever, she might want to keep you around as a babysitter.”

Sonata smiled, “Yeah, maybe, but what about Aria? What if she leaves?”

“I’m sure she’ll still visit if she does or you can visit her. Hell, you can go with her if you want, it’s all up to you. If nothing else you’ll know where to find Adagio and me.”

“Yeah, yeah your right. Sorry for bringing all this up before a hunt.”

He waved her off. “Better to get it out now. We need to meet up with Ferocious and Stryker and go to the wreckage scene. We’re kind of running late.” Maneuvering the pick-up around the block, Mac pulled up outside the VFW, Ferocious’s bar. The place was still lined with police tape. Standing outside smoking was Ferocious and Stryker. Sonata rolled down the window, the two detectives' staring dead-eyed at them.

“I thought farmers rose early, it’s eleven o’clock.” Ferocious chided.

Mac scratched his head embarrassed. “Had a late night, wife had some needs that needed to be taken care off if you know what I mean when I got home.”

The detectives chucked. Ferocious laughing heartily, his cigarette falling from his mouth as he nearly doubled over. “What’s so funny?” Sonata asked curiously.

Ferocious had a shit eating grin on his face as he leaned against the door. “Nico said the same thing once when he was late. Kind, he said he was helping Applejane through her rut. I think that was when that would have been 1990 something… yep… little AJ was born after that.”

Mac’s ears burned like candles, he coughed and looked forward as the two detectives continued to laugh, Sonata joining them. “Yeah, yeah, very funny, can we get started here?”

“Don’t be mad when you’re the one that showed up late, scoot over girly.” Stryker Six said opening the door and pushing Sonata to the middle and then shut the door.

Mac leaned forward, “You’re not coming Ferocious?”

“Nah,” The red detective said with a dismissive wave dropping a duffle bag into the back. “I got somethings I can be doing here, walking around the woods with this leg… well, I’ll only slow you down.” Ferocious turned and limped away towards the building.

Putting the pick-up in drive Mac pulled away from the curb and drove, Ferocious disappearing in the rearview as they headed west out of town. The three of them sitting in relative silence as the radio played the hourly news. The city was still in a tizzy with predictions all over the place and the news anchors doing little to calm the public fears as they raved about conspiracies and other nonsense.

“I think I would be madder then usual if not for the fact they genuinely didn’t know anything,” Mac grumbled clicking the radio off as some guest starting raving about how this was somehow related to climate change and Godzilla like creatures.

“Everyone is looking for answers. Hopefully, we can wrap up all this evil magical girl shit before another big event happens. People probably won’t be turning as many blind eyes to magical events in the future.” Stryker looked at Sonata, the blue sirens shrinking under his dead stare. “Best your girls keep your origins quiet. Especially with the portal is gone.”

“Their working to fix it on the other side,” Mac assured. “Could be any day now.”

Stryker leaned back in his seat staring ahead at the road. “Good, we might have to migrate there if things get out of hand.”

For the second time today, Mac almost swerved off the road, this time breaking hard to a complete stop. Glaring hard at the gray detective. “What ya talkin’ Stryker?” Mac demanded, his southern accent coming on thick and heavy with his bubbling anger.

Stryker unperturbed faced him. “I mean what I said if magic gets widespread and people react badly, and your friends and family are exposed to the broader public you may not have a choice. Mobs of people tend not to be very understanding. Regardless of all that, we still have time to get things under control. Just keep that in the back of your mind though.”

“Yeah, I will,” Mac grumbled pulling back onto the road, his hands tight on the wheel. “So, that duffle bag, you got disguises in there?”

“Official uniforms you and Ditzy Blue are going to be my tagalongs. Same deal as last time, don’t speak to anyone and don’t use your real name.”

“Do I have to be called Ditzy Blue?” Sonata asked.

“No, but I think it suits you.” Stryker laughed, pulling out his phone and dialing a number. “Ms. Pie? Yes, this is Detective Stryker we called this morning, are you at our meeting point? Good. Turn up here Mac.”

Mac pulled onto a minimum maintenance road up a slope to very underused overlook. Parked at the top in the only other parking spot was a white Chevy pick-up with Limestone Pie sitting inside. He killed the engine and all three of them got out, Limestone copying the actions.

“Bit of fucking late start,” Limestone complained.

“Fucking is the reason for that, Romeo had to attend to Juliette last night,” Stryker said offhandedly, earning a deep blush from Limestone as he pulled the duffle bag out of the back and threw it at Mac. “You two go get changed.”

Mac and Sonata slinked off to a secluded bush leaving Stryker and Limestone alone. “Alright, Ms. Pie do you remember what we went over this morning?”

She nodded, “I do.”

“Good, now we just need to wait for those two, and we can get on with this.” Mac and Sonata exit the bushes, both dressed in forensic uniforms. Mac tosses the keys to Stryker to walks over to the driver’s side. “We’ll meet you there Ms. Pie.”

“So, what’s your plan?” Mac asked squishing Sonata in the middle again as the gray detective turned around and drove back down to the road, Limestone trailing them closely.

Stryker clicked his tongue as he maneuvered around the winding road. “We will arrive at the scene, talk to the LEOs, Ms. Pie will give her testimony. The rain last night washed away most the tracks that Pinkie might have left. Ms. Pie will tell the search party that she saw something dash in the opposite direction of what Nurse Nyx indicated. Feri and I talked to Nyx this morning, she’s doing fine and is in on the whole thing.”

“Why do they need to talk to Limestone?” Sonata inquired.

“Some folks aren’t sure if they can trust Nyx’s story since she was hit on the head and upside down. Even though Limestone didn’t really see anything, having show up well after the fact. We can use her to get the search party away from magic and danger. We’ll send the normies on a wild goose chase, while we head in the direction Pinkie actually went. Assuming all the pieces fit together.”

“What if your wrong and we send the search party towards Pinkie?” Mac asked.

Stryker shrugged, “Then we find her quicker with some casualties I’m afraid, and the situation gets worse.”

“Who’s making up the search party?”

“Local LEOs from other counties and some renown trackers from the area. Some of our VFW guys are mixed in with the trackers, so they’ll help lead the normies away.”

Mac chuckled leaning against the window with a sigh. “You guys sure are organized.”

“We woke up on time this morning.” Stryker retorted coming to a stop. The wreckage before them with a swarm of cops milling around. “Remember to keep silent for now.” He reminded them one last time before getting out and shouting for the officer in charge.

Stepping out of the truck Mac and Sonata filed in behind Stryker who was getting chewed out by a pot-bellied officer for being late. “Sorry, sorry, it took longer than expected to track down my witness.” He lied as Limestone walked up to them. Stryker introduced her to the officer, and the trackers gathered around. She recounted her false story, pointing to the east, meaning Pinkie had gone west. The officers and trackers grouped up and spread out across the road and entered the woods to the east. Leaving a few still milling about to watch the scene.

“Still a lot of people here,” Mac whispered.

“You two sneak into the woods, I’ll move the pick up and find you,” Stryker said turning to the vehicle, Limestone standing in his way.

“I’m going with them.” She stated sharply.

“Fine, maybe you’ll be useful, but move your pick-up, so it doesn’t call attention.” Stryker pointed to the cops still around. For all, they need to know we left.”

She nodded walking with him towards the vehicles, “We can park them at the Quarry.”

Mac and Sonata stepped off the road, the two driving past, carefully looking for anybody watching the two monster hunters slipped into the west side of the woods. Crouching low and checking to make sure no one saw them. Carefully they sneak through the brush, lining up with the back of the ambulance they searched the ground for tracks.

“Tree canopy might have protected some of the tracks if we’re lucky,” Mac whispered kneeling on the ground.

“Here,” Waved Sonata.

Still crouched he softly tiptoed over to her, they were too close to the road to be making much noise. Mac kneeled next to Sonata looking an odd print. It was buried under some leaves with some other imprints around it. He brushed aside some leaves and found a half-formed handprint. Mostly Pinkie carrying Maddie.

“She jumped,” Mac looked from the distance from here to the ambulance. “Really far.”

Sonata pecked him on the cheek stealing a bit of magic, enough to make her eyes glow. “That way.” She pointed leading the way. They walked further into the woods. Mac pulled his pocket knife and marked the west side of trees they passed. Sonata led him deeper, they were probably about half a mile from the wreck site when they found another footprint.

“How’d Pinkie leap this far? Magic can only increase your strength so much.” Sonata wondered kneeling by the footprint. There was a knee print beside it and a broken stick. The tip stained with something. He looked up seeing a sharply broken branch.

“She was jumping in the trees and got stabbed in the foot.” Mac held up the stick, grimacing. “Must have gone right through her foot.”

“Her magic trail goes this way,” Sonata pushed through the brush finding another print on the other side with many others and drag marks. “Looks like that foot really got to her.”

“I’m sure it’s healed by now, but this defiantly slowed her down.” They followed the footprints, finding pieces of clothes fiber stuck to branches and bark. “Maddie’s probably having a rough time of it too,” Mac commented picking up the piece of torn cloth.

“Hey Mac,” Sonata called. He quickly walked over to where she was standing as she pointed to dozens of animal tracks in the ground, big ones too. “Do you know what could have made these?”

He leaned down tracing the tracks with his finger, “By the size and shape, I’d say mountain Lion, but they don’t hunt in packs. These tracks are a little shallow too, these guys probably only weigh one hundred pounds give or take. Below average for a print of this size. They should be full-grown adults, that or they’re malnourished.”

“It looks like their following Pinkie’s trail.” Sonata pointed out following the tracks. They paralleled Pinkie’s following just to the side.

“Does seem that way.” Mac rubbed his beard stubble following the creatures trail further. He told Sonata to follow Pinkie’s path the two of them walking parallel with the other. Fighting through some more brush the scent of burnt wood reached his nose.

They both stopped cold in the next clearing, the remains of a fight clear as day. Several trees were blackened from explosions and several charred bodies laid on the ground. Mac walked to the center finding a body impression and random mess of human footprints. Standing in the center, Mac mimicked the position of the prints, each pointing to one of the charred bodies.

“Whatever was following Pinkie isn’t following her anymore.” He commented walking over to one of the charred corpses. Poking the charred body, Mac felt the rough texture of wood overlaid with crumbled flesh. Grabbing the skull of the creature he felt its shape, finding it to be a cat in nature. “I think these were some of Fluttershy’s new pets.”

“Pets?” Sonata inquired.

“Right, you weren’t with us. At the animal shelter, we found the remains of something. A mishmash of critters molded together with a Timber Wolf.” His phone buzzed a text from Stryker asking for a position. Mac was surprised he even had service out here, but they weren’t that far from the road either, probably only two-three miles. Not wanting to call too much attention to themselves he transformed and molded a sphere of magic in his palm and threw it up above the tree canopy. The ball of energy bursting like fireworks but with no sound. Not a minute later Stryker came barreling down and landed, his six arms and black wings making for quite the sight with Limestone cradled in two of the sets. The second oldest Pie sister jittery from her flight had a hard time letting go of the detective.

“Holy shit,” Limestone stuttered as Mac pried her from Stryker.

“Afraid of heights?” Mac joked finally pulling her off.

She frowned and pushed him away looking very flush. “No,” Limestone quickly denied. “At least not when I have the proper safety equipment. Ya couldn’t just let me tie a rope around you, had to hold me in your arms.”

“I held you with four arms,” Stryker rebuked dispelling his transformation. “I didn’t have time stand there and wait for you pick your jaw off the ground. I didn’t think you’d be so surprised.”

“I expected the wings from your warning, you didn’t say nothing about spouting four extra arms! What are you an Asura?” Limestone said hotly, still blushing. “Whatever! Forget it! Have you found my sister yet?” She said whirling to Mac.

“I don’t exactly have her hogtied as you can see, but we are on her trail. She ran into some trouble if you care to take a look over there.” He pointed to the charred corpse, Limestone looking very unimpressed at the strange dead creature before her, course it’s not like it resembled anything recognizable.

“I need another sip, Mac,” Sonata said kissing his cheek again, this time taking enough magic to grow ears. “I see some dark magic leading this way.”

Following the blue siren deeper into the woods they kept quiet, not wanting to give Pinkie a warning of their arrival. That was hard enough already with all dead leaves on the ground. Pinkie’s footprints long since disappeared from view, the dirt hard from last night’s cold, but Sonata kept on the trail like a bloodhound. She weaved around trees and lead them up small rocky slopes, a cold wind blew as the sun ticked into the afternoon.

“Let’s rest here,” Mac suggested sitting down a large rock and pulled some granola bars from his pocket. Good thing he grabbed them. “One for each of you,” He said tossing them out. As they ate Stryker pulled a map from his coat pocket and laid out for them all to see.

“We’re a lot further out than I anticipated. At this rate she is likely heading here,” He pointed to a spot on the map were a wildlife area was marked several miles away. “Unless you have any information to pass on to us Ms. Pie.

Limestone looked over the map and pointed to a spot about three miles away from the wildlife area. “There used to be an old Quarry here, back in my grandfather’s time. It wasn’t big and the materials there were poor, so it was abandoned after a few years. This small ridge here, Grandpa blasted some caves open, some of them run pretty deep. Maud used to take us camping there.”

Stryker stepped back from the group stroking his chin as he looked over the map. “You guys keep searching on the ground, I’ll fly ahead and check out these caves.”

“Take me with you, I can lead you there faster.” Limestone insisted walking up to the detective.

“Fine,” Stryker muttered. He turned to Mac and Sonata. “With luck, we’ll all end up at the same place. Nobody jumps the gun if you find her. Remember how much trouble Rarity gave us.”

Sonata crossed her arms, “Yeah, we were there.”

Transforming Stryker took Limestone in his arms and took flight. Mac gestured for Sonata to lead the way the two of them breaking into a jog as tiny snowflakes began to fall.


Night had come when Mac and Sonata finally made it to the old Quarry, a fresh layer of snow covered the ground, and they were shivering, Sonata even more so. The blue siren looking even bluer and shaking like a leaf in the wind.

“I hate the cold, I’m a summer water Siren,” She griped through chattering teeth. Mac built up flames inside his body, raising the temperature around them slightly. Sonata hungrily hugged him sighing with content as his heat flooded her icy body. “I’m so glad you got fire breath from your dad.”

“Same here,” He said patting her on the back. Crouching the two of them snuck around the short ridge that surrounded the old quarry. There wasn’t much to it. Limestone hadn’t been kidding when she said it was small. The place was barely three acres. On the north side was another ridge with holes it in, the caves Pinkie was likely hiding in. “Can you see which one she’s in?”

“Yeah, just give me a sec,” Sonata pressed her icy lips against his cheeks gaining ears. “Umm… let’s see… sorry, there’s black magic all over the place I can’t really find a single trail. “

“That’s ok,” He said checking his phone. Barely one bar of service. Silently Mac texted Stryker asking where he was. Waiting for a full minute for the message to send and waiting another full minute for the reply. “They’re over there,” Mac said leading Sonata south towards the entrance of the Quarry. They shimmed along the brush finding Limestone and Stryker perched on the ridge across from the cave entrances.

“Took you guys long enough,” Limestone said.

Sonata bristled, “We didn’t fly here. If she’s here, you could have told us.”

“We did, but the messages failed to send,” Stryker explained looking straight at the caves. “We’ve seen glimpses here and there of movement, but nobody’s come out yet. Maybe the SINs are affected by the cold too, they are snakes.”

“More likely Pinkie isn’t dressed for the cold, neither are we for that matter. It was getting colder since Fury’s fight, but now winter seemed to come early this year.” Mac said trying to build up more fire in his body, he was burning a lot of magic to keep him and Sonata warm. “Should we go in or leave and come back more prepared?”

Stryker breathed through his nose, pondering the situation, “We found the lair but whose to say she’ll stay here long. On the map, this place isn’t that far from her last hideout. There’s even a road, a no maintenance one, but still a road straight here. She doesn’t have food, water, winter clothes, and her shelter isn’t much. There’s a strong chance she’ll leave while we're gone.”

“What if one of us stays to keep watch?” Limestone suggested.

“Too risky, if Pinkie found them it wouldn’t be good,” Mac said feeling the fire inside him die out again. He didn’t relight it. “Sonata’s been leaching magic from me all day, and I’ve been burning it up to keep warm. How are you doing Stryker?”

“Transforming twice and flying zapped me too, probably sitting at about half empty myself. If we charge Sonata fully, we could maybe take Pinkie now and end this.”

Sonata shivered shaking her head, “You guys might want to save your magic. I’ll burn through it twice as fast like this.”

The sound of rocks falling caught their attention and they all quickly looked toward the entrance of the cave. Pinkie stood in the moonlight snow falling softly around her in a swirl, dark pink magic radiating off her body. She stumbled further out of the cave. Her feet a mutated mess of scales and claws, a serpentine tail swished behind her, her silted eyes scanned the area.

“She can’t see us, right?” Sonata pleaded. Pinkie’s gaze fell right on them. “She can, can’t she.”

“Screw this,” Limestone jumped from their hiding spot, catching them off guard as she slid down the screaming at Pinkie. “Pinkie! What the hell do you think you're doing! Marble is worried sick! And you’re out here doing stupid crap!”

Pinkie blinked and cocked her head in reptilian like fashion. In a single leap, she flew into the air and landed on the floor of the Quarry and stalked toward Limestone. The elder Pie sister, much to her credit didn’t back away as the much taller and crazed version of her sister approached her.

“Limestone!” Mac yelled skidding down the hill after the grey Pie sister, Stryker and Sonata at his heels as the three of them surrounded Limestone. He pushed Limestone behind him, but the feisty Pie sister merely pushed her way in front of him again. Mac caught her arm growling low, “Limestone talking won’t work.”

She pulled her hand free and faced her sister. “Pinkie, this may be the understatement of the century, but you’re not well.”

Pinkie grinned an insane ear to ear grin and laughed. “Really? Am I? Since when did you care? When did any of you care? Work, work, work, and more work! That’s all any of you care about! No time for any real fun, no time to be an actual family! Even when we aren’t working everybody is on eggshells!”

Limestone growled, “Don’t fucking act like that’s all it was! You had plenty of time to be your annoying bubbly self. We needed your help! You can’t just go play with your friend twenty-four seven! Life isn’t all fun Pinkie! I’m sorry Mom and Dad have the emotional availability of rock, Marbles too scared to do anything, Maud is gone off to college, and I personally find you only slightly less annoying than a cat sliding down a chalkboard, but…” She took a breath staring Pinkie square in the eyes. “But I do care about you. Look at your fucking self! You’re a fucking monster!”

Pinkie snorted, “Not the first time I’ve heard that.”

Mac stepped forward warily, maneuvering himself between the two Pie sisters. There seemed to be a kennel of sanity still inside Pinkie, but he knew from how fast Rarity flipped her switch; it was only a matter of time. “Ok,” He said calmly. “What the hell are you two talking about?”

“Happy go luckily here kidnapped a bunch of five years old when she was nine and made them play with her.” Limestone shivered remembering the incident. “She wasn’t very friendly when they tried to run away. Right Pinkamena?”

“Don’t call me that! I’m Spite now! And everyone is my playmate! I don’t need you or our dullard of a family! I’ll just make a new family! One not bound by the restrictions of blood. Let me introduce you to my new mommy.” Spite snapped her fingers and shambling from the cave came Maddie or at least something that looked like her. Spite jumped back up to the cave hugging the strange person in a warm embrace. “She was so badly hurt, but I made her better, isn’t that right Maddie?”

Maddie no longer looked like Maddie. The only feature recognizable of the mad scientist was her hair and facial features. Everything else was unrecognizable. Her skin was blue now, scaly cracks like lava rock covered her the top half of her arms, her feet were mutated the same as Pinkie’s, her ears pointed like an elf’s. Atop her head a set of antlers stuck out of her skull, a strange narrow tail with a tuff of fur swooshed behind her.

Sonata screamed in terror, “What did you do to her?”

Spite nuzzled Maddie's neck, “I made her better. Just like she made me like she tried to make all of us better.” She stepped back and pulled a locket with a green gem fused to it. “Let’s call some more friends!”

A green beam of magic shot into the sky, dozens of portals opened, and monsters rained from the sky. Cinder Wolves, Fungi Wolves, Stone Cyclops, and three thirty foot, fully armored Gores.

Spite pointed at them, “Kill them.”

Mac grabbed Limestone and tossed her at Sonata, “You two run! Now!”

“But…”

“Go! Get help!” Mac barked transforming, his arms coated with scales he grabbed two attacking Cinder Wolves and tossed them into the Fungi Wolves. Beams of fire shot from the Cyclops eyes, and he ran as Stryker took to the sky unloading on the monsters with six pistols. Mac took a glance toward the old road, Sonata and Limestone’s backs disappearing past the trees. (At least Limestone didn’t make a fuss.)

“I could use a weapon!” Mac shouted. Stryker dropped one of his pistols, Mac’s maul materializing into the detective’s empty hand and he threw it. “Thanks!” Jumping into the air Mac grabbed the maul bringing the hammer end down on the skull of one of the stone Cyclops. The monster’s stone head cracked and then shattered. Magic raged around him as he sought out his next target.

“On your right!” Stryker shouted firing upon a group of Cinder Wolves, emptying all six of his pistols into the creatures. He dropped them all summoning six sawed-off shotguns and blasting all twelve barrels into a charging Gore. The buckshot bouncing off the undead monster’s armor.

Maul ablaze with magic Mac stormed through the horde of monsters, blowing Cinder and Fungi wolves away with a single swing of his weapon. Twisting the maul in his hand, Mac brought the ax head to bare and swung into the back of the Gore’s knee. The monster fell on its new stump, Mac bringing the maul up for an overhead hack and struck with all his strength.

“Stone Cleaver!” The ax head grew empowered with magic and cleaved through the Gore’s neck in a single sling, it’ head rolling across the ground. Mac puffed up his chest spewing flames at the Gore’s body, burning it, the stench of burning rotting flesh quickly filled the air. He gagged running away from the burning corpse and swinging at an attacking Fungi. “Stryker!”

Several shots of gunfire echoed, but the gray detective didn’t reply.

Mac swiped his brow sweat soaked his body, he gripped his maul as monstered surrounded him. That had grown cautious of him. Several of the Timberwolves whimpered and backed off. Two Cyclops charged ahead, their eyes burning red with magic. He threw his maul, the ax head embedding itself into the glowing orb of one, while he ran and leaped onto the other stabbing it with his claws. His forearm disappeared into the monsters cranium blood gushed out, covering his arm and chest. Working his hand deeper into the monster's brain Mac grabbed it, and than crushed it. The lumbering beast fell backward, and he stood victorious on its chest.

“Come on!” He taunted to the other creatures. The Timber who had enough whimpered and ran, only they didn’t get far as blue fire engulfed them. Instead of burning the flames became solid ice and shattered turning the runaways into ice dust. Mac turned around facing Maddie who had her hand pointed forward, blank white eyes stared back at him.

Spite smirked and pointed at him. “Go have fun.”

Maddie charged, and he made a run for his maul. Jumping over to the other cyclops and ripping the weapon free from the corpse. Facing the hammer end forward he swung as Maddie jumped at him. The maul caught her in the ribs. Twisting his body, Mac slammed Maddie hard into the ground. A crater formed around her, but she sat up like nothing happened. The tattered remains of her shirt fell away revealing the same rocky cracked skin like on her arms. Blue fire rose from her arms, and she thrust her fist forward, a blast of blue flame flying from her fist. He jumped to the side, the fireball flying off into the distant. A loud noise like shattering glass followed. Mac stealing a brief glance to see the last remains of a tree turn to dust.

(It can never be easy,) Switching to the ax head he hacked at Maddie who created a wall of blue fire, the maul went through it the flames and was now stuck in ice. Mac quickly let go of his weapon as Maddie charging around the left side. Grabbing her wrists, he wrestled Maddie off the ground picking her up and slamming her into the ice wall. The wall shattered. Mac grabbed the maul and brought it down on her knee. This time she screamed.

“Still got some soft spots, huh!” He brought the maul overhead again and quickly decided his target as Maddie’s chest jiggled. “Sorry.” The maul fell dead center of Maddie, right where her heart was. The monstered girl let out a ragged breath as her heartbeat was sent off rhythm.

“Mommy!” Spite ragged charging towards him. Mac turned cocking his arms back but faltered as Maddie despite breathing as well as a lung cancer patient, grabbed his ankle and frost it to the ground. He quickly changed the direction of his swing and crushed Maddie’s hand, the ice disappearing before it could turn his ankle to dust. That left him open though, and Spite threw a handful of rocks which exploded in his face!

He was sent flying back into some sharp rocks. Mac gasped as he felt the blood run down his back. Another barrage of sparkling stones come at him, and he covered his face with his arms. Smoke rolled off his body as singe marks covered the non-scaled areas of his flesh. His scales suddenly disappeared, and he fell to one knee, exhaustion hitting him like a ton of bricks.

“Fuck, out of magic.” He panted looking toward Spite and Maddie. The former cradling the latter and looking very pissed in his direction. (Stryker where the hell are you?) Mac wondered in a panic as Spite picked up a big rock about the size of a softball.

“You're going to pay for hurting her.” Spite told him rearing back for the pitch and released.

“MAC!” A blue blur appeared in front of him, it was Sonata fully transformed, the sparkling rock hit her dead center and exploded. The blue siren reverting back to normal as her smoking body flew into his arms.

Mac stood stupefied holding his sister in law in his arms, the front of her shirt blown to sheds with a huge charred and bloodily wound right in her midriff. “SONATA!” He lightly slapped her cheek, trying to get her to respond. “Come on, say something! Anything, please! Sonata!”

Spite’s mocking laughter brought his gaze upward, the pink Sin sounding giddy by the pain she inflicted. Mac grabbed the end of his maul and tapped into his life force. “Shut up, you punk bitch.” He threw the ax, the weapon becoming an orange spinning blur. Spite’s laughter became screams as the maul cleaved halfway through her right arm, leaving it barely attached with some skin and tendons.

Spite fell atop Maddie whimpering and crying while holding her arm. Stryker landed behind her his coat gone, his transformation downsizing to just ears as his wings disappeared into a burst of black feathers. In his right hand was a pistol which he pressed to Spite’s head.

“Stryker,” Mac growled.

“I know,” He replied pistol whipping Spite upside the head. The pink girl fell over, and he knelt down and touched his finger to Maddie’s forehead. “Sleep.” He commanded Maddie’s eyes closed, while his ears disappeared. “Only had enough for one,” Stryker said pulling his belt off and wrapping it around Pinkie’s severed arm. Stryker wobbled over to Mac and fell to his knee looking tired and weak. “Next time take out all the Gores. My style isn’t suited for them.” Stryker grimaced taking in Sonata’s wound. “Hopefully Limestone found a vehicle or something because we’re not flying out of here anytime soon.”

“Wasn’t a very deceive victory.” He said looking between Sonata’s stomach and Pinkie’s arm. “I don’t think Limestone is going to be very forgiving for crippling her sister. No way we can get her anywhere to save it. Hell, we can’t bring her to any hospital as long as the snake is still inside her.”

As he laid his head against the rock, Mac looked up at the sky watching the snowfall. Pulling his phone from his pocket, he checked for signal and had none. He should feel relieved that Pinkie was at least captured and that they found Maddie… (The seal!)

“Shit,” Mac scrambled to get up, pulling what little remained of Maddie’s shirt aside to find the imprint of Sixes' hand glowing. Right now, he couldn’t remember how long she had, or if the seal would work in Maddie’s current state. The seal hadn’t activated when she attacked him, so maybe it was weakened. “Maddie, you have my permission to leave the farm indefinitely until said otherwise.” The seal stopped glowing and faded beneath her course cracked skin.

“You sure that was wise?” Stryker asked.

“I don’t know,” Mac admitted. “In this state, there’s no telling where she’ll end up. She might wake up and run off without our knowing and then she’d really die.” He looked her over worriedly. Maddie was the only one in the world that probably knew how to fix what’s been done to her, and there was little hope she could think clearly enough to do that. There was maybe one that could bring Maddie back to her senses. “We need to get these two back home.”

“Mac, I don’t know if you’d notice, but we're kind of stuck and…” The sound of stones falling caught their attention, both Stryker and Mac turned to find the ridge above them overrun with glowing green eyes. The eyes of Timber Wolves or their cousins, the eyes of flesh and wood creatures the likes of which bore a striking similarity to the one found at the animal shelter. “Shit.” Stryker pulled his sidearm from its holster, but they both knew the weapon would be of little use.

Mac turned to retrieve his maul, but more of the creatures were at their backs, his weapon stomped beneath the paw of one of the monsters.

The Timber Lions yowled and crept closer Mac holding his ground, showing no fear as he raised his fists at the creatures. He tried to summon up some magic, only managing to turn his fingernails into claws. The Lions continued to draw near, Mac bit his lip waiting for them to spring into action. A trio broke from the pack, the center on leaped at him and tackled him to the ground. Stryker pivoted and kicked the beast in the head, only to get tackled himself. As Mac struggled beneath the one-hundred-pound animal, he clawed into its sickly flesh ripping bloody chunks off. The beast’s paw hit him and pushed his face to the ground, giving him a view of as two others monsters pick up Maddie and Pinkie and place them on the back of two cheetah looking Timbers.

“They’re taking the girls!” Mac shoved the monster off, jabbing his fingers deep into its chest. He was about to pursue when a feminine scream shouted out. Wheeling around Mac saw a Timber Lion chewing on Sonata and pounced to save her knocking the beast off her. As he held it down Stryker pressed his pistol against the lion’s head and pulled the trigger.

“What the hell is going on?” Sonata asked in a panic holding her left arm, which had been chewed on. She doubled over throwing up and hyperventilated when she caught sight of her stomach.

“I’ll tell you later, let’s get out of here,” Mac ran over to Sonata and picked her up carrying her bridal style. “Run!” He barked to Stryker taking off for the road. “What happened to Limestone?”

“Stole some of her magic and flew her to the vehicles,” Sonata replied, her eyes drooping low. “She… she should be…here…soon.” She said falling into unconsciousness.
The creatures gave a half-hearted pursuit mover of the returning to the woods. Stryker putting down the handful that chased them. As they stood in the middle of the old quarry road, a pair of headlights shined of them, and Limestone got out of the white pick-up.

“What the hell happened?” She asked as they quickly piled inside, shouting at her to get back in and drive. She saw the corpses of the Timber Lions and quickly obliged hastily turning the pick-up around. “Where’s Pinkie?”

Mac and Stryker looked at one another before answering. “She got away,” Stryker answered stonily sighing against the cloth seat. “Take us to the hospital. Speed, I’ll wave us by any highway patrol.”

As they sped down the snowy road passing the ambulance wreckage Mac’s phone buzzed. It was Adagio. “Hello?”

Over the speaker came Adagio’s enraged voice with gunfire and screaming in the background. “Get the fuck home now!” She cried as several gunshots blasted over the speaker before going dead.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long