• Published 3rd Nov 2016
  • 8,028 Views, 95 Comments

The Element of Courage - Banshee531



This takes place in an alternative universe where Flash Sentry grew up alongside Twilight and her family. He works to achieve his own dreams and ambitions while making sure Twilight doesn't spend her life studying twenty four seven.

  • ...
14
 95
 8,028

A New Beginning

"A PARTY!" Pinkie yelled as the others suddenly found themselves back at Ponyville. The town was decorated in a stream of party decorations as everypony in town gathered to celebrate the return of not one, but two princess of Equestria. Flash, Twilight and their new friends were the guests of honour as the confetti and cheering washed over them.

"Twilight! Flash!" the two turned to see Spike running up to them and hugging Twilight, "I'm so glad you're back!"

"Glad to be back." Twilight replied as she returned the hug.

"Seems you had quite the adventure kiddo." Flash turned to see his mentor coming out of the crowd.

"Grand Hoof. What you doing here?" Flash replied, surprise covering his face.

"You think I'd miss seeing my student become a hero?!" Grand Hoof laughed as he went and patted Flash on the back. "You made this old knight very proud kiddo!"

"Thanks." Flash chuckled as he received a head-pat from his old teacher. "I just did what came naturally.”

"You'll have to tell me all about it on the way back to Canterlot. You finally have a story to tell me, Ahaha!" Grand laughed as he hit him on the back again. However, hearing that made Flash frown and he wasn't the only one.

Princess Celestia stepped forward as she saw the depressed faces of Flash and Twilight. "Why so glum my faithful student?" she asked as she walked up to them. "Are you not happy that your quest is complete and you can return to your studies in Canterlot?"

"That's just it." Twilight replied as her ears flopped down in response. "I just made so many wonderful friends and...I have to leave them."

"Yeah." Flash said as stood next to her, "I feel the same way. If we leave now, when will we get to see them again? I mean, Canterlot is a bit far from here."

Princess Celestia smiled, instantly knowing the solution. "Spike, take a note please."

“Huh? Oh, okay.” Spike pulled out his parchment and quill in response.

"I, Princess Celestia hereby decree, that the unicorn Twilight Sparkle shall take on a new mission for Equestria. She must continue to study the Magic of Friendship, and must report to me her findings from her new home in Ponyville.”

Twilight gasped hearing this, covering her mouth with her hoof.

"Additionally." Grand Hoof stepped up to Spike with a crackle in his voice. "The apprentice knight Flash Sentry shall also remain in Ponyville, as it's new Defender of the Peace." Flash looked at Twilight and then his mentor in shock. "I taught you all that you need to be a knight kiddo, but you still have much to learn and I believe you'll learn it here." Grand Hoof then walked back up to Flash and patted him again. “Besides, we both know you wouldn't go back to Canterlot without her! Ahahaha!”

Flash and Twilight smiled at their teachers as tears began to appear under Twilight's eyes. Her eyes stopped for just a second as they were soon embraced by their friends.

"Thank you both." Twilight said, tears now freely flowing. "I'll study harder then ever before."

"And I'll keep this town safe from whatever may occur." Flash saluted as Grand did the same. "I swear."

The crowd cheered as everypony as the party began once more. It continued until the Princesses and Grand Hoof declared they had to return to Canterlot. Seeing this, everypony soon headed home. Flash, Twilight and Spike returned to the library, where they would live for the foreseeable future.

"It feels weird, doesn't it?" Twilight asked as she opened the door.

"It'll take a little getting used to." Flash replied as he entered. "But I think it'll be nice living here."

"You said it." Spike said as he went inside and immediately started to go to bed, earning a chuckle from the other two.

Flash turned back to look out at their new home. Ponyville was definitely a great little town, and he knew he would protect it and it's citizens with his life. With resolve set in his heart, he shut the library door with one firm swing. Tomorrow would be the start of a new life, not only for Flash and Twilight, but for all of Equestria.

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

And that is that. I hope you enjoyed the story and will stay tuned for the continuation of the series
Look out for Flash Sentry Defender of the Peace

Comments ( 23 )

WHY IS THIS NOT CANON?! :flutterrage: Flash played off of Spike and the girls beautifully. This should be canon.

This was a pretty good story. Thanks very much for doing this. Not much I can say other than excellent job on the exchanges, emotional content, general story wrap-up and future story set-up in all the right places. And, I had this odd thought; maybe "Amending Fences" could happen here MUCH sooner than in canon (i.e. in this case, Twilight returns to Canterlot long enough to pack a few prized belongings for her move to Ponyville and explain things to her parents and big brother, but either Spike or Flash (possibly both of them) make some comment that "It seems odd that you are just realizing how good it feels to have friends, but there are ponies here in Canterlot who have been trying to tell you something similar for a long time now. Moondancer in particular." (or words to that extent), which makes Twilight realize just how badly she unintentionally hurt Moondancer by snubbing her party and set out to fix things.

Of course, if you don't like the idea, I understand completely.

7715829 dude. you might have just got me a chapter. For the next story I intend to have a combo of cannon episodes with Flash integrated and original chapters which you've just helped add to, thanks

7715843 You're quite welcome.

7757300 No he's not. Like I said only a Pony who has done an incredibly courageous deed or is trained by another. Shinning will still be Captain of the Guard, but won't be anything else

7765101 No, I'm going to include that later. Just don't ask me how yet.

7757424 Fair enough

I know. Posting a comment here after doing so for the sequel is unorthodox, but I thought I might offer my input in here, as well. As I'm sure you're aware, a few discrepancies with the punctuation, spelling and grammar. But nothing too major, in my opinion. It doesn't deter me from enjoying what you have going on here. I especially liked how you integrated Twilight bumping into Flash as foals, via slightly Aladdin. I also like how his determination from living on the streets helped push him through the obstacle course, even though he didn't necessarily have to, except maybe to give his own courage and mettle a boost. It was also touching to see he got a mentor figure in Grand Hoof, to correlate with Celestia for Twilight. I was half-hoping for at least a moment of temptation from the young colt to steal, while in the palace, given his survival instinct, and get in a little trouble with Shining, but, oh well. Speaking of which, how will he fit into the Wedding, I wonder. Only one way to find out. Besides, we still have a Gala and Discord to deal with, first. Keep up the good work.

I read this after your latest chapter in the sequel. I dont know why I read them out of order, but I did. :twilightblush:

Definitely a good read.

I didn't expect Flash to be... amazing here.

I expected Flash here to be either pathetic and/or bland at best or a complete hate-sink at worst but nope, you took my negative expectations and tossed it against the moon so hard it shattered Nightmare Moon's seal and destroyed the moon a la Disgaea. So many unexpected twists you did that I love.

For instance, Flash's main strength is his courage, but his humility and his "I've-seen-it-all" vibe to him makes for some pretty profound moments and/or absolute comedy gold. When he started talking about stuff like the folly of poor character judgment, comforting Fluttershy and teaching her the meaning of courage, I thought... "This is gonna be one of my favorites, isn't it?"

And I was right.

Hell, as of the (amazing) Amending Fences episode in the sequel, with his new weapon Lightbringer, he now has the potential to be one of the most powerful characters in the series, WHICH WAS THE LAST THING I EXPECTED FROM HIM!

That said, I do have a few criticisms on both here and the sequel. In some episodes where Twilight is the major focus, she doesn't get enough of it. She mostly does research and only sometimes solves the problem herself. And even THEN, it's a minor criticism since she and Flash play off each other so well, especially in the sanity department.

I expected this to be nothing more than another average shipfic but nope, expectations inverted, exceeded and exploded.

Oh and as for the spelling and grammar errors... Who cares? The story is a fun read. Besides, the grammar errors (prior to edits) bothered me about as much as a flea giving me the middle finger; it's barely noticable, and by the time I noticed it, I give so little crap I just go about my day.

8055314 This story and its sequel are basically a textbook example at making a character that is shown as something people don't like and making them likable. I just wish more people paid attention to it.

awesome story

I want to like it. I really, really do want to like it. I love Flashlight, and I wish there were more stories that used Flash and used him well.

Unfortunately, Flash in this story is a bit too much of a Gary Stu. A street kid who becomes a Royal Knight through a twist of fate, is totally unflappable in the face of any danger, and creates a new element of harmony all on his own? It just screams Gary Stu to me.

9846505 Yeah, this was me trying to make Flash so great nobody could say anything bad about him. But that just made him so perfect people couldn't become interested in his struggles. He gets less perfect as the series goes on, promise.

9846757
It’s okay: we all have stumbling blocks initially. My first version of my OC was a pretty big Gary Stu too.

Comment posted by HolyCross9 deleted Dec 3rd, 2019

IN THE FLASH SENTRY CHRONICLES EVEN A YOUNG STREET THIEF CAN RISE TO BECOME A HERO.

NOW THAT NIGHTMARE MOON WAS DEFEATED AND PRINCESS LUNA WAS BROUGHT BACK PEACE WAS RESTORED BUT FOR FLASH ANDTWILIGHT A NEW JOURNEYIS JUST BEGINNING

Clearly the actual reason Flash stays behind as well is to serve as Twilight's bodyguard.

Flash and Twilight staying in Ponyville will soon lead to them on crazy adventures and meeting their powerful allies and yet, encountering their dangerous foes.

This is the story of Flash Sentry and how he become the protector of Equestria and the greatest Royal Knight of all-time.

After reading some of your novel, I suddenly come up with a crazy idea.
So... there is this character named Hitch Traiblazer. He is the main character's foalhood friend (from the movie "A New Generation"). You can read about him here: https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/Hitch_Trailblazer#:~:text=Hitch%20Trailblazer%20is%20a%20male,childhood%20friend%20of%20Sunny%20Starscout.
So my theory is: did the creator of "A New Generation" have read your fanfic before and inspired to create Hitch Traiblazer. I don't know man, your Flash Sentry and Hitch have a lot similarity.

The Awesome Story is Cool that Flash is one of the Main Characters now it's cool that Flash is an Element of Courage.

Login or register to comment