• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 8,279 Views, 348 Comments

Lake of Reflection - Richer19



My first shipping story. Rated T for Twixie with some mentor Luna.

  • ...
26
 348
 8,279

Prologue: Legend of the Lake

Hello fellow bronies! Richer19 back and ready to go. This is my first foray into the shipping division of Fimfiction and I hope that you all will enjoy this story. This is based of course on a shipping that is one of my favorites mostly due to the fanfic Teardrops and Snowflakes by Vyreinos and the artwork done by Dekomaru who let me use one of his pictures for the cover art. Anyhow, by the time you read this chapter (I hope); it will actually be my birthday and this is sort of my birthday gift to you all. So sit back and relax as we get started with the prologue.

Prologue: Legend of the Lake

Long ago, in the magical land of Equestria; there were two regal sisters who ruled over the land. The eldest, Celestia, was in charge of raising the sun each morning while the youngest, Luna, brought out the moon and stares. However, jealousy started to worm its way into the heart of Luna as she watched the ponies play and appreciate the beautiful day that her older sister brought out but slept and ignored her starry night.

So begins the tale of the Mare of the Moon and the princess fall from grace and of the sacrifice another had to make in order to protect her subjects. It is this and others that have managed to endure the test of time. Yet, there was one legend that for so long as been ignored and forgotten that only the rarest books in the most secure part of Canterlot Castle would even mention such forgotten lore. This one in particular, was considered to be the most well-known at the time.

It is the Legend of the Lake of Reflection.

The story goes that before Luna eventually fall and transformation to Nightmare Moon; she would journey through the starry skies in search of anypony who might be out and gazing at her night sky. One night, under a full moon, the Princess of the Night stopped to rest at the shore of a lake in the middle of an unnamed forest. As the Princess begin to wallow in sadness, she notice how the lake's water was so pure and clean that it was able to make reflect the glow of her moon. Transfix by this rare sight, the Princess felt the need to somehow reward the lake for the rare opportunity that she was able to witness. Under that faithful night, Luna used her divine magic and cast a spell upon the lake so powerful and complex that it would forever change the lakes true nature. The spell was so old that its name and meaning were lost in time.

When the spell was complete, the lake gain an ability no other creature had. It possess the ability to gaze into the heart of anypony who stared into its crystal clear water. It also gain the ability of semi-rational thought and was able to manipulate its waters to become any form its chooses. All these powers were to be use to serve one purpose, to assist any pony whose heart was fracture and their minds clouded by fear and doubt.

Eventually, the lake was discovered by the ponies one day and were able to feel the strange powers that the lake had. However, one drawback was that these powers were only active under the light of Luna's moon. Some ponies decided to make the journey, but before any pony could have a chance to use the lake's mystical powers; Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon by Celestia and the Elements of Harmony. Lost of the Alicorn that gave its power, the lake suddenly and mysteriously dried up, as if to deny any pony the right to use its divine powers. So the story of the Lake of Reflection was put into myth and eventually lost in time...forgotten by all
...Until now.
Moonglow Forest, Present Time

Trixie was hungry, cold, and thirsty. She had been walking through this forest for Celestia knows how long and she could already feel her body start to fail her. Trixie was a blue unicorn with silver hair and violet eyes that showed stubbornness and determination. Her coat was usually kept clean and straight but the weeks of constant rough traveling had caused patches of dirt and was in desperate need of a bath. Trixie was once a traveling magician, using her skills in magic to wow and starstruck her audience. The bits that she received for her performances were enough that she was able to live in the mild but pleasant comfort of her trailer. As the bits poured in, so to did her confidence grow till it got to the point where she believed herself to be the greatest unicorn who ever lived and adopted the title 'The Great and Powerful Trixie' as a stage name.

However, her boastful nature and confidence were shatter when she decided to give a show at the rather unknown town of Ponyville. There, she was met with the usual crowd cheering her on and of course the small group of hecklers that try to bring Trixie off her pedestal. They failed at every chance which only left the unicorn magician feeling even more Great and Powerful. It was then, later in the night, that Trixie heard the sound of hooves banging on her door. She looked out and saw that it was the two young colts who idolized Trixie. However, they had brought with the an Ursa Major into town and were begging Trixie to defeat the beast to prove her greatness.

It was at that moment that Trixie's confidence was broken as despite her best efforts, she was unable to stop the bear. Her confidence was broken even further when that purple unicorn that she had originally thought to be nothing more then weak and pathetic, managed to not only stand up to the Ursa but send it all the way back to its home in the Everfree Forest. The final straw came when she found out that the beast that was causing all the destruction, including the lost of her trailer, was in fact an Ursa Minor. I couldn't handled being shown up so thoroughly like that and ran away.

Trixie couldn't handle thinking about that night, her thoughts always seem to return to that blasted unicorn who Trixie believed somehow manipulated events so that she would appear better then Trixie. Trixie wanted to get her revenge on that unicorn but she lacked both strength and materials. So lost was Trixie's thoughts that she didn't see the body of water and pludged right in.

Breaking the surface with a gasp of shock, the blue unicorn barely manages to swim back to solid ground. She felt absolutely freezing from the sudden plunge and looked to see where she was at. What she saw was a massive lake that seemed to neither ebb nor flow, remaining stock still as if frozen in time. The water, despite Trixie's dirty body using it as an unexpected bath, appeared to have remain clear and pure. The only movement of the lake seemed to be the ripples from Trixie's plunge and frantic swimming. Trixie looked up and saw Luna's moon in the Waxing Crescent position floating above. It was as if the moon itself was looking at this lake.

"I might as well get something to drink..." Trixie thought as she made her way to the lake end. The water did look clean enough and while Trixie would have preferred imported mountain water, she was going to have to make an exception to the rule. However, as Trixie was about to take her first sip, she found her eyes transfix by her reflection on the water's surface. It was so clear and calm that it was as if Trixie was looking at a mirror rather then the surface of the lake. She saw the moon's reflection as well and it appeared to be behind her head. The more she watched, the more details she saw in that reflection. It got to the point where she swore she saw the stares rearranging themselves to appear as her own Cutie Mark.

It was then that a voice, both deep and powerful, sounded within Trixie head. Trixie broke her stare and tried to look around to find the source of the voice but there was no one in sight. With a bit of fear in her heart, Trixie returned her attention back to the lake and she was able to hear that voice again. The voice said "Young Traveler. You have traveled far and wide. However, your path is now clouded and unsure. Come, gaze into my calming water and I will show you your heart's true desire. Only then, will your path be as clear as the moon reflection on my surface."
So ends the prologue. My plan for this story is to try and alternate between Trixie and Twilight. I really hope you all enjoy this story as I feel it might turn out to be a good one.