• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 2,326 Views, 287 Comments

Silver Shield - David Silver



Gaea Shield is a proud member of the guard. Despite being a pegasus, he has the bulk of any earth pony, matching mass with Big Mac. But brawn alone may not be enough as the political minefield he's stepped in isn't kind to those without finesse.

  • ...
18
 287
 2,326

13 - Just a Ride Away

Night smiled as the last student left and let out a sigh, but that was short-lived as the door swung open just as a figure appeared before her. Nefertari smiled as well, all deadly fangs. "Student, we really must not put off this discussion further."

The Lunar jumped with surprise a few inches that Nefertari easily closed. "You are not my mentor any longer!"

"Am I not?" Nefertari tapped Night on her twitching nose. "Don't say that. We have much to learn from one another, dear future wife. That starts with us putting aside these... games. If I am to join your family, we must become members of the same team, yes?"

Night ran the numbers in her head quickly. "Forty percent chance you're here to ask me for something."

"Guilty," spoke Nefertari. "But that doesn't invalidate what I said. I heard about your... experience with my spirit. Ghastly, I imagine. Dirty trickery, on her part. She has been lectured, but you do owe her despite it. That was your mistake." She placed a paw on her chest. "But I want us to grow closer. If you allow me, I will show you how to be rid of that burden."

Night frowned as she tried to keep up with her calculations. Figuring Nefertari was much more difficult than most ponies. "Why haven't you approached his other wives? I'm not the highest of them, and yet, here you are."

"We've had some history." Nefertari crouched down to be at Night's level. "Not all of it good, I know, but that is precisely why. This bad blood must be purged before we move forward." She cupped Night's cheeks in her soft paws, fingers cradling where the flesh curved. "I do admire you, Night Watch, fresh shaman, yet leader of your field among the ponies. We have so much to discuss, but these games must stop."

Night thrust a hoof at her, shoving her away a few inches in the process. "You started these games!"

"I did, and now I wish to end them. We have played our parts. We have danced and fought and tested our teeth on the other. The posturing is over. I am ready to accept you as a peer, Night Watch." Nefertari rose up. "What would it take to earn your forgiveness?"

Night felt a tingle run down her spine. Her training would not let her ignore something. "Those are dangerous words. You're offering me anything."

"A matter of trust." Nefertari dipped her head, ears spreading wide. "Do not abuse it. What must be done?"

Go away and never come back? Night considered it a brief instant, but tossed it aside. She was better than that, and Silver would be so upset with her to take such a tack. Night licked over her lips as she thought about it. "Swear. Swear on every ancestor that not a single lie will ever leave your lips between us. When you speak to me, you will speak the truth, unvarnished."

"I shouldn't even hide that your mane is unkempt here?" She reached and teased out a tangle in the teacher's mane. "Or that you've put on a few pounds."

Night went red. "You're as bad as any spirit at times."

"As you will be as well, if you continue to grow." Nefertari smiled. "Is this how you bind me?"

"Yes, blast it. Tell me all the ugly truths, but let them be that, truths, alright?"

"I accept this oath." Nefertari dipped her head. "Let there be no further falsehoods between us."

Night smiled, some unseen weight lifted from her shoulders. "Now, about that spirit of yours?"

"You could have asked for that..." Nefer shrugged. "Perhaps this is a better use. You will need to trick her into making a demand. Once fulfilled, then you owe her nothing further. It is as complex and simple as that."

Night nodded softly. "I presume you won't stand in my way?"

"I'll one up you, future wife. If you make a plan, I will play my part to assist. My assistant's head has swollen too large at her trickery. I want this resolved." Nefertari traced one of Night's tufted ears with a claw. "Let us work together."


Another day, Silver trotted along. He had his foals strapped to either side, and Fast was walking alongside him. Both were moving through the city of Canterlot in the bright morning sun. "Fast, I'm still working on that spell. It's... thick."

Fast held up a hoof as she went. "Take your time. I'd rather you get it right than get it fast, in the end."

Clear Twilight squealed as her hoof just missed a balloon passing by.

Silver smiled over at his daughter. "I'll get you something later, promise." He kissed the top of her head. "But not taking other pony's things."

On the other side of him, Morning Glory made an admonishing gesture despite not being able to see Clear at all.

Fast laughed at the entire scene. "You are precious, all three of you."

"You'll be a part, soon."

Fast shuddered softly. "One way or the other... So... love bug... Would you still love me?"

Silver raised a brow high. "One, that's a silly question. Since I met you, you've fluidly gone from one form to the next. What's one more that's going to keep me from loving this amazing pony I know? Two, even if I didn't like that specific form, so what? It's just a set of clothes for you. You'd put on something nicer when you wanted to and we'd move on." He leaned over and bumped his head against hers, cheek to cheek. "No matter which way this goes, you're stuck with me."

Fast nodded softly. "I... guess..." She didn't sound convinced, but Silver let it drop.

"Looking forward to a little trip?"

"Yes, actually." Fast smiled as she trotted. "I've been stuck in Canterlot for what feels like forever. Getting to go out, with you... It's like a dream."

Silver felt a tremble. The last time had been an actual dream. A tidbit of it nagged at him, and he slowly came to a halt. "Fast."

"Huh?" She turned to face him. "What's wrong? The train's this way." She gestured with a toss of her head. "C'mon."

"No." Silver stepped closer, looking at her intently. "How did you leave the hive?"

"I flew?"

"More specific. Were there other changelings you left... in a lurch. Changelings that would be bitter."

Fast cringed and shrank back a step. "M-maybe... why?"

"We're going there."

Fast blinked. "W-what?! No!"

"Yes." Silver reached out and tapped Fast's chest. "Yes. Don't make me use royal privileges on you, but yes. We are going. If you're leaving this part of your life behind, we're doing it right." He turned away from the train he had planned to take and started marching towards the hive. "I know you're probably angry, but I'm doing this because I love you and you know it."

Fast hated it! But she followed along sullenly behind her stallion. In revenge, she pulled in close and nipped at the base of his tail. "You're a big meany face, just so we're clear."

Silver accepted the painful little nip with a nod. "When I have to be. I love you, Fast."

"I love you too, meanie." She kissed him on the cutie mark. "Let's get this over with."


Celestia sipped from her tea gently. She was on a break, a rare treat. She looked across at Luna who sat with her, making the treat even better. "They're heading out today."

Luna wrinkled her nose. "It started with Twilight. Why is it acceptable to send our royalty on such missions? Couldn't anypony else suffice?"

Celestia shook her head. "He is uniquely suited to handle humans, and you know it. Let's have faith in him and look forward to his return."

"Faith is a thing that comes far more easily to you, dear sister." Luna chomped on a large cookie before dipping it in her milk and taking a fresh bite. "Shouldn't we at least keep an eye on him?"

"You think I haven't?"

That caught Luna's attention, perking right up. "Oh? Do tell, sister dear."

Celestia twitched her ear at a very specific angle. "Mother Sun to Genius Daughter, are you present?"

There was a moment of silence, with Luna peering at her sister in confusion.

"Yes, please come here," spoke Celestia to nothing.

About thirty second later, a knocking came from the door to the parlor, opening to reveal Samantha. "Hello Celly, Lulu! You're both looking fit and well. How can I help?"

"Lulu?" Luna frowned faintly even as a smile showed mildly on her lips. "Where did that title come from?"

"We are friends, family even. To show affection, pet names are appropriate," explained Samantha as she closed the door and trotted to the table. "Genius Daughter, reporting for duty."

"How goes operation Watching Silver?" asked Celestia with a confident tone.

Samantha twitched her ears, tuning in to Silver. "He's not in the expected location. He appears to be making a detour. Vitals are nominal and signs of distress are low to non-existent. The children and Fast are with him, vitals also acceptable. Fast seems agitated. Their likely course is the changeling hive."

Luna's cookie fell from her numbed magic. "How do you know all that?! Is this constant?"

"That's a secret, Lulu." Samantha stuck out her tongue before she dipped her head at Celestia. "Anything else, Mother Sun?"

"That will be all. Would you care to join us?"

"May I?" Samantha smiled broadly as she crashed her rump down on an open chair and snagged a sugary treat. "It would be a pleasure, Celly."

Luna shook her head slowly. "That does... put me at ease. At least Silver and the others are being watched, and we can move to assist if things become too dangerous. Is Silver aware of your spying?"

Samantha bobbed her head. "He knows. He says it makes him feel safer. He trusts me to use my knowledge for good and to not talk about it." She winked at Luna in an emphasized gesture. "You're family, so it doesn't count the same."

Luna realized something, breath catching. "Am I watched this way?"

Celestia set down her cup of tea. "A question, first. If you were, would you be upset that Samantha is watching over you?"

Luna's cheeks went red. "There are times I'd rather be alone, sister."

Samantha considered that with a faint frown. "I'll work on that."

That wasn't the answer Luna had been hoping for.

Author's Note:

The saga continues! Luna learns of the terrible secret that is Samantha's peeping habits.

Support me on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!