• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 18,600 Views, 601 Comments

The Piano Man - The Sentient Cloud



A pianist from Earth is summoned to Equestria - to become a piano-playing playing slave.

  • ...
54
 601
 18,600

Ponyville

For a few precious minutes, I had freedom. Admittedly, most of that was simply a freedom to run, but I can always take solace in the fact that even if I never see freedom again, I had it.

For the briefest amount of time, I had it again.

Then again, I don’t think dwelling on that in the future will cheer me up. It’ll probably just depress me.

Trixie is still acting the same way… she didn’t even get angry over my escape attempt. Is that better or worse than being tormented for it? I’m inclined to say worse, because it seems like she’s bottling up her rage… and when it comes out… I shudder to think of what will happen.

For now, I can say that at least my life has more variety. I only play twice or so in each town – and from what I can tell, it’s normally in the same day. Then we move on, and head to the next town.

As it turns out, those first shows I did were in Trottingham. From there, we moved to Fillydelphia. Oddly enough, these ponified real life cities aren't overly far from each other. I don’t know how fast we travel, but Las Pegasus and Fillydeplhia are definitely not as far from each other as their real-world counterparts.

Also, that name has always bugged me. ‘Fillydelphia’. If you re-translate it back into normal English, then it turns into Girldelphia. That just doesn’t seem right – kind of like how the word ‘everypony’ is also redundant. ‘Everybody’ and ‘everyone’ still applies in Equestria, because ponies still have bodies, and are all single entities unique from one-another. I think the PONIES.MOV series referenced that at one point as well… That weird drug addicted version of Spike had a good point.

I think that long tangent with no relation to my current situation shows that I have adapted to my situation slightly. I say slightly, because… well, I suppose you’ll find about.

Back to the point, so far we’d gone from Trottingham, and stopped over in Las Pegasus, Fillydelphia, Manehatten, Brismane and Stalliongrad. Each city was remarkably different. despite their general proximity – although the audiences weren't.

Wherever I went, I was showered with praise for being such an evolutionary masterpiece.

I began to wonder… if I arrived at Ponyville, would the reaction be the same? At the same time, I wondered if Trixie would take me to Ponyville at all. She would either still be unable to go back to the site of her humiliation, or would want to go back and brag some more, and show off her amazing skill for enslaving defenceless humans.

As it turns out, I didn’t need to wonder long. We arrived in town what I imagine to be three days ago, and Trixie didn’t waste any time setting up shop.

***

Three days ago…

Apparently, I’ve really been bringing in the money. Every town we stop in has a bigger audience waiting for me than the last. Through my slavery, I’ve become something of a sensation. In any other situation, I would be overjoyed.

I’ve been resigned as of late. From city to city, all I do is just play. I’ve barely let out a single rebellious statement since we left Trottingham. All I can think of is that Ponyville is probably my last hope. I can imagine this being the new Trixie episode that was rumoured for Season Three. Trixie comes back with a new show, and the Mane Six decide to go see it.
That would be wonderful, because it would ensure my safety. Nothing ever turns out bad in the show.

Wishful thinking, I know. I am sure that at least one of the Mane Six will come to see the show, and that will most likely be my last chance to get out of this… well, it isn’t that much of a nightmare anymore, but I can’t say that I enjoy it either.

I can hear them outside, setting up the stage and getting the piano in position. I suppose that means that Trixie will be coming in to get me soon. I know just what to play. Something dramatic and attention-grabbing, and then a few softer songs… I’ll probably end with a bang.

You have to enjoy what you do, and I enjoy playing the piano. If only I could be playing it in more enjoyable circumstances.

Or any other circumstance, for that matter.

I stand up and start to pace, my nerves finally showing themselves.

“God…” The word slips out of my mouth. “This is it.” Why I’m talking to myself, I don’t know. “Make or break. Make or break…”

By this point, I might as well be broken. If I don’t get help… then…

A loud click interrupts my mild panic as Trixie opens the door to the wagon.

“Well, human.” She approaches, her face neutral. “It’s show-time.”

“No shit.” I shoot back. If today is make or break, I might as well get in some good lines. “I take it that you want me to play something really flashy so that you can gloat at Twilight?”

Trixie paused, her face scrunching up in confusion, before she waved her hoof.

“The lavender unicorn? Oh please.” She smiled in a somewhat grim manner. “Do you have any idea how popular we are? She’s nothing compared to our show.”

“She’s an Element of Harmony, and of course I don’t know. You never let me outside.”

“Being an Element of Harmony does not mean that she is as popular as us…” Trixie glanced up at the roof.

“And we both know why I can’t let you outside. You’d just try and escape... again.” She puts emphasis on the ‘again’ as if my escape attempts are some sort of trivial annoyance, and not feats that left her with angry welts on her face.

I myself am still surprised that Trixie has no interest in my knowledge of Equestria. I told her exactly what she was back when we first met, and she has never inquired further. In fact, she explicitly said that she didn’t care. How can she not be interested in how I know all this?

Trixie’s magical aura envelops the lock of the cage, and it springs open.

“Just go out there and play. I’m sure you’ll see your precious Twilight in the audience.”

“You better hope I don’t.” I mutter under my breath, scowling as Trixie forces me to walk.

***

Trixie seats me at the piano, and then moves away to give me some room.

The stage we use is a half-circle that juts out from the side of Trixie’s wagon, the entire length of it’s curve covered by a pair of large red curtains. Rather dramatic, if you ask me.

I should also add that the piano I use now is actually quite nice. It’s still a little beaten up, but in far better condition than any of the pianos I’ve used so far during my time in Equestria. Still not a grand, but in a place like Ponyville. That would be too much to hope for.

I’m more surprised that I never got access to a grand in Las Pegasus, or any of the big cities… but then again, I suppose I wasn’t popular enough to merit one at the time.

But, if these shows weren’t popular before, they sure are now. Everypony just loves to come out and watch the Piano Man play. (I still wonder how Trixie came up with that) It sounds like most of Ponyville is milling around outside those curtains.

A few dings of a bell signal the audience to be quiet, and the large wrap around curtains are pulled back, turning into a backdrop for the performance as they open me and Trixie up into the crowd.

I look out at all of the equines as she steps forward and begins her standard monologue – albeit with a slight dash of humility that I had never thought possible.

“Mares and Gentlecolts, The Great and Powerful Trixie is overjoyed to see that you all have come out for today’s show. Trixie hopes that the previous show performed in Ponyville will not tarnish this one.”

If this had been an episode, I would have thought that Trixie must have learned her lesson since last time, although I actually know that she is simply a lot better at hiding her massive ego from the audience. That feigned humility almost sounds real.

As Trixie continues to speak, I place my focus on the audience. In the broad daylight, I can see them all perfectly fine. There’s Cheerilee… Big Mac up towards the back end of the crowd, carrying Applebloom so that she can get a good view…

The amount of ponies I recognize is heartbreaking. All of these characters that used to be so innocent for me, now here to watch me play… and yet, I still haven’t been able to spot any of the Mane Si-

Scratch that. There’s Rainbow Dash, hovering above the crowd along with multiple other pegasi. Her bored expression wounds me. So I’m a slave and boring?

The crowd hasn’t dissolved into chaos, so I don’t think Pinkie is here… What about the others?

Oh, there’s Rarity and Applejack, standing with Lyra over to one side. This definitely isn’t an episode. If it was, then all of the Mane Six would be up at the front in a neat line, and they certainly wouldn’t be interacting with any of the fan favourites.

So that’s three down. The others have to be here, surely. It would be impossible to find diminutive little Fluttershy in this crowd, and I don’t have the time to search for her anyway. Trixie’s introduction is almost over.

I scan from side to side, trying to spot the lavender unicorn I’ve been searching for. If anyone will be the voice of reason in this mess, the one to speak up and say that this isn’t right, it’ll be her.

There are so many ponies. How am I meant to – Oh. Well there she is, up near the front, with a rather energetic looking pink-party-pony. I must have overestimated Pinkie’s energy levels, because she seems to be standing still just fine, watching Trixie intently. She’s swaying from side to side, but apart from that… nothing.

Twilight, however, isn’t watching Trixie. Like a few other ponies in the crowd, her eyes are fixed on me. The very fact that she’s acknowledging me – The Twilight Sparkle – makes me a little happier.

I can’t exactly read her expression. It seems to be a cross between neutrality, and slight concern. God, I hope that concern is directed at me. She has to think there’s something wrong. She has to say something.

Come on Twi…' I think to myself. ‘Do something. Please.

Trixie’s magic prevents me from talking – which she has said before. To think that my ability to speak would offend the audience… Well, anyway, Trixie’s magic prevents me from talking, but I can still open my mouth.

I’m about to mouth ‘help me’, when Trixie finishes her monologue, and looks at me, sending a magical command my way.

God-damn it.’ I groan internally as my head turns back to the piano, and my hands move to the keys.

I throw out my previous idea of beginning with a dramatic piece, and instead start to gently play the first few notes of We’re In Heaven. A nice song… although quite repetitive without someone to sing the lyrics.

So I continue to play, still hoping beyond hope that Twilight, or Applejack, or somepony will finally shout those three words I’ve been waiting to hear for weeks now.

‘This isn’t right’. It’s not hard to say. It’s not hard to reach that conclusion, so why won’t somepony say it? Why? One of the Mane Six has to see this is wrong. They have to call Trixie out on this.

And it is to my heart wrenching dismay, that they never do.

So I play. I play piece after piece, for about forty minutes, before Trixie finally announces the end of the show.

I look out over the audience one more time before the curtains close. They’re all still there. A few look slightly emotional from the soft song I had played at the end, and Twilight still had her eyes locked on me. Why, I cannot tell. If it isn’t because of the injustice of the situation, then is it simply because I fascinate her?

She looks even more concerned than before… so maybe she wasn’t concerned about me. It could have been something else entirely. Hell, she could be fretting over a late book shipment.

I shake my head slightly, feeling the first pricks of tears at my eyes as the curtain closes, and Trixie makes me stand up.

Earlier I had said that it was make-or-break today.

Well, I’m broken. My last hope crushed.

It’s all I can do not to weep openly as Trixie ushers me back to my cage.

***

I’m alone, which is good. I don’t want Trixie to see the tears rolling down my face.

How could they just do nothing?

How could they stand by while I’m forced into slavery?

How could they just listen as I pour my rage into the god-forsaken keys?

How could she look me in the eyes, and then just do nothing?

I wish I had appreciated my old life better. I had taken so much for granted. Now my entire existence has been strained down to playing the piano, and nothing else. I love the piano, but the way I have to live… I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - because my worst enemy is Trixie, and a life spent playing the piano would be too cushy a punishment for her crimes against the rights of all sentient beings.

That was my last lifeline. Trixie herself has never stopped reminding me that I will never be free… well, now that I have no hope left, I suppose I can meet that challenge.

No. I can’t think this way. It’s the coward’s way out. I can’t take it, but I can’t give in either.

I won’t say that I haven’t thought of this before. I always considered it to be my final plan, in case of the worst possible outcome to all this. Now that even the Mane Six has abandoned me to Trixie’s scheme… it’s all I have left to fall back on.

No. I can’t.

I’m still crying. It’s hopeless. I’ll be forced to do this until my hands give in to arthritis, and nopony even cares.

Is that a way to live? Trixie has only given me food once since I arrived… water only comes before a show… In a way, this is a worse quality of living than that of the poorest third world children, although in other ways, it is still better.

I can’t live like this. Oppressed, underfed, tormented…

And yet I still have my way out. Maybe death would be better than this.

A little voice at the back of my mind says that I’m being irrational, and that I need to calm down, but I ignore it. I can’t think of anything but the contingency plan.

I had my shot at freedom. I blew it.

Now the contingency plan is my only way out of this.