• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 3,848 Views, 48 Comments

My Little Mages: The Royal Wedding - Foxhelm



There's a party in Chantalot! Twilight's brother, Shining Armor, is getting married. But something seems off with the bride, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. A My Little Mages retelling of A Canterlot Wedding

  • ...
5
 48
 3,848

BBBFF

Prologue: The Invitation

Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Applejack were having a picnic with their pets in Magiville town square. Applejack was playing fetch with Winona, Rarity and Fluttershy were brushing Opal and Angel respectively, Twilight was looking over Owlowiscious’ feathers while Pinkie Pie and Gummy wherein a staring contest, as Rainbow Dash was taking a nap with Tank. “I wish Spiky-wiky would have joined us.” Rarity commented.

“He volunteered to help Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo with their science project, how dragons breathe fire,” Twilight answered. “Okay, Owlowiscious all your feathers are preened and you’re good to go. Here’s a nice hole in a tree for you to rest in.” Twilight said as she placed her owl in a hollowed out section of a nearby oak tree. Owlowiscious gave the closest thing an owl could to a yawn and fell asleep. “It was a good call on Spike’s part to get Owlowiscious.”

Rainbow Dash yawned as she got up and stretched, “Yeah, yeah and Fluttershy was right about Tank. But this is a great day. Hey is that Spike?” she asked as she saw Spike running towards the group with Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo following him.

“Twi…[pant] light!” Spike took a deep breath. “You got… BURP!!!” Spike then belched up a scroll, causing Gummy to blink and lose to Pinkie Pie.

Twilight caught the scroll and unrolled it as she read it out loud. “Dear Twilight, I hope you are as excited as I am for the upcoming wedding here in Chantalot.” Twilight paused, “Wedding, what wedding?” Twilight asked as she looked at everyone else. They gave shrugs clearly not knowing what Celestia was writing about. “I shall be presiding over the event and I would very much appreciate if you and your friends would help with the preparations. I would like Fluttershy to conduct a choir of the songbirds from the Royal Gardens for the music.”

“Oh my, she believes that I can conduct so many birds,” Fluttershy said humbled at first. “I shall not let her down.” She proclaimed her resolve ever apparent.

“I would appreciate if Pinkie Pie would host the reception as she is the most qualified and would a fair amount of life to the event.” Twilight continued to read. Pinkie Pie jumped up in the air showing how happy she was at the event. “Also I wish for Applejack to manage the catering of the Wedding, both the reception and the rehearsal.”

“Well, it’ll be great practice for catering for the Gala in a couple of weeks,” Applejack said thinking about what was asked and the event she was pretty much ready for. “Apple Bloom, we got business. Ye-haw!”

“Alright! Granny’s goin' to love this.” Apple Bloom cheered as she jumped into the air.

Twilight then continued the letter, “I would also like Rainbow Dash to perform a sonic rainboom as the bride and groom kiss, consummating the marriage.”

“Woohoo, Go Rainbow Dash! You got this in the bag.” Scootaloo cheered hugging Rainbow Dash.

“Hey let’s make it really special, let’s do it together!” Rainbow Dash offered with a little too much enthusiasm. Scootaloo dipped her head looking at her ankles. “Hey, you just hold on tight, I hold on tight and it will make my solo sonic rainboom look like nothing. You leave the flying to me, little buddy, that cool?” Rainbow Dash asked her ‘sister’, Scootaloo nodded with the biggest smile she could muster.

Twilight continued reading the letter, “I would like to commission Rarity to make the bridal and bridesmaid dresses.”

Rarity muttered unintelligibly as a big grin formed on her face, “Do you know what this means Sweetie Belle?” Rarity asked as she hugged Sweetie Belle extremely excited about the prospect of her business.

“Aren’t you already known because of that singer Sapphire Shores?” Sweetie Belle asked confused about her sister's actions. “And that whole thing that got us to celebrate Twilight’s birthday in Chantalot.” Sweetie Belle continued as she pointed out what happened then.

“While true, the more people that know my craft the better my chances and nothing will get my name known as much as making the dresses for the wedding. Trust me, darling, it’s a fashionista thing.” Rarity informed as she ended her hug. Sweetie gave an ‘o’ in understanding.

Twilight returned to the letter and started to read again. “I would like the roles of flower girls to be filled by the younger sisters of your friends Applejack and Rarity and the sister-in-all-but-blood of Rainbow Dash; Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo respectively. Unless I am mistaken they are also known as the Cutie Mage Crusaders or CMC for short?”

“Did you hear that? Princess Celestia wants us to be the flower girls, that means we’re part of the wedding too.” Sweetie Belle spoke in highly excited squeaks. Both Scootaloo and Apple Bloom gave a “YAY!!!” matching Sweetie Belle in excitement.

Twilight went back to the letter, “Of course I could ask for no better person to bear the rings than Spike. His relatively new bipedal state is not the reason I ask but because of his relationship with everyone else involved.”

Spike stood at attention, “I will protect the rings with my life!” he declared with the same conviction he had with any task he took on, even finding Twilight a night shift assistant.

Twilight saw that she was nearing the end of the letter, and it finally started to dawn on her that Celestia had plans for all of her friends because they were her friends, which meant the princess had a plan for her as well, “And Twilight, I would appreciate it if you would oversee everything. Given your relationship with both the bride and groom, I am certain that you will handle everything perfectly. Sincerely, Princess Celestia.” Twilight then looked away from the letter.

“How I don’t even know who is getting married, Lyra and I weren’t ever that close and BonBon is almost a stranger to me, they live here and they say they are BFFs.” Spike then handed Twilight another scroll with a guilty ‘teehee’ as if he intended to give the scroll he had before the letter he belched up, Twilight then unrolled the scroll “You are here cordially invited to the wedding of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and” Twilight stopped as she dropped the scroll. “My brother?” She froze in shock.

Chapter 1:BBBFF

“Wait, what? You have a brother! Since when?” Rainbow Dash asked utterly taken aback by the sudden news. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Twilight gave a weak teehee. “I actually told Applejack when I first arrived and Pinkie Pie before we confronted The Tantabus in the castle in the Everfree,” Twilight informed. “His name is Shining Armor.”

“Wait? Didn’t yah say that yahr brot’er was the Captain of The Royal Guards?” Apple Bloom asked Twilight confused, Twilight nodded confirming Apple Bloom’s answer. “Ah thought Shining Armor was the Marshall, didn’t yah get a letter a couple years back wit’ the announcement, because, yahr a paladin?” Apple Bloom asked as she turned to Applejack.

“Ah did get a letter announcing that, but Ah thought Captain of The Royal Guard and Marshall were separate things,” Applejack commented.

“Well, that is true, but the two are not mutually exclusive titles. But, Shining prefers ‘Captain’, mainly because of his age and most of the generals are a decade or two older than him.”

“Wait! Stop! This is the first time the rest of us have even heard of you having a sibling at all. Why didn’t you tell us?” Rainbow Dash asked clearly confused and angry hovering in the air.

Fluttershy flew up to hover near Rainbow Dash, “Rainbow Dash, take a deep breath. Pinkie Pie and you were the only ones who actually knew that Zephyr Breeze is my younger brother for the longest time. Which is something you wouldn’t know if I was not held back due to my poor flying and you being dumped up due to your well, extraordinary flying, so it’s not unheard of friends not sharing information about family, especially when the siblings live in different cities and have different lives that don’t overlap often.” she informed calming her friend down as they landed.

“That might be all true, Darling, but what about Twilight’s birthday party. Unless we all have forgotten you all moved it to Chantalot when I was working on a few projects for the princesses and trying to get my name known by the Chantalot elite, it’s not one of my finer moments. If Shining Armor is Captain of the Royal Guard and your brother then he should have been there at that time.” Rarity pointed out, She notice a glare from Sweetie Belle, “granted I am not necessarily the best example of an older sibling, but I do try to be there for Sweetie Belle.” Rarity gave a nervous laugh as Sweetie Belle softened her expression.

Twilight gave a sigh, “Shining Armor and my parents actually left to surprise me at the Golden Oak. Spike and I stumbled upon them as they were asleep on the reading coaches.” Twilight informed as she walked from the group and turned to face them. “But that doesn’t change that he didn’t tell me. No! I am informed by a letter from Princess Celestia.” She cleared her throat and started to speak in a deep voice meant to sound more masculine, “Hey Twily, just want to let you know, I made the biggest decision of my life and it will change every. Oops, never mind you’ll find all about it in the mail.” Twilight stopped and as she returned to the group still angry, “and who the hay is this Mi Amore Cadenza?” Twilight then sat down and gave a huff.

“I take it that it really stings that Shining Armor has not told you, but are you alright?” Fluttershy asked as she walked over to comfort Twilight, “I am in a distance relationship with my little brother, Zephyr Breeze, too.”

Twilight gave a sigh, “It’s just that when I was little, Shining and I always shared our dreams and supported each other. We were close, very close. He’s my BBBFF!”

“Big Brother Best Friend Forever,” Pinkie Pie informed before anybody asked. “I use acronyms concerning events with my sisters all the time. Go on, tell us about your BBBFF.” Pinkie Pie requested as she pulled out nine beach chairs with boxes of popcorn for herself and everyone else. She noticed that her left middle and ring fingers were tapping at the air as if they were striking piano keys. “Uh, we got a musical number.” Pinkie Pie then took off her hat pulled out a guitar with a stylized tri-colored lighten bolt from a stylized white cloud on it which was caught by Rainbow Dash, a bass with three stylized red apples painted on it which Applejack caught, a portable piano marked with three sapphires cut into kites that Rarity used her magic to levitate towards her, a tamarind with three stylized pink butterflies which Fluttershy caught and a drum set with three balloons on the main drum much like the ones on Pinkie Pie’s hat which landed right in front of Pinkie Pie. “Hit it.”

“Um, Pinkie w’at are talkin’ about.” Apple Bloom asked. At that moment the hands of her sister and her friends started to move and play the instruments, all but Pinkie Pie’s eyes were open in horror as if their hands were moving on their own.

“When I was just a girl, I found it rather silly
To see how many other people I could meet
I had my books to read, didn't know that I would ever need
Other people to make my life complete
But there was one man that I cared for
I knew he would be there for me
My big brother, best friend forever!
Like two peas in a pod, we did everything together
He taught me how to fly a kite (Best friend forever!)
We never had a single fight (We did everything together!)
We shared our hopes, we shared our dreams
I miss him more than I realized
It seems…” Twilight started singing, as she sang flashbacks to her childhood matching the lyrics appeared in front of the CMC. One showed her about as old as CMC engrossed in a book and bumping into a young man over a decade older than her, the age difference was much like the one between Apple Bloom’s and Big Mac. The young Twilight fell to her rear was quickly picked up by the man and he started to comfort her, much like how Big Mac would Apple Bloom. In another, the young man, the presumed Shining Armor, was teaching and helping Twilight fly a kite. Then another which showed Twilight struggling to read with Shining Armor appearing to help her and then shown Twilight counting the number of sit-ups he was doing with a poster saying ‘Enlist’ and depicting men and women in the various armors of the ESM including the flight suit of the Wonderbolts. The last one was when she teleported away when she was in a rush to see Princess Celestia before she moved to Magiville.

“Your big brother, best friend forever
Like two peas in a pod, you did everything together” Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Rarity sang, their eyes clearly showing that they had no idea what was happening or how and it scared them that they were singing that in sync, Pinkie Pie was just smiling in her usual unphased way as she sang along.

“And though he's, oh, so far away
I hoped that he would stay
My big brother best friend
Forever...
Forever…” Twilight sang as she conjured a projection of what she imaged was Shining Armor’s reaction to Twilight’s move. As she finished the second Forever the projections ended. She shed a tear.

After the song ended Pinkie Pie collected the instruments and put them back into her hat. “I love musical numbers.”

“Well, we might not be your BFFs, but yahr brother very likely had many good reasons to not be able to tell yah about his engagement and weddin’, being both the Captain of The Royal Guard and Marshal of the ESM, he must have a lot of responsibilities somethin’ had to give. But he’s still special to yah and Ah know yah are special to him.” Applejack said comforting Twilight. Twilight then gave a soft smile. “Besides, Shinin’ ain’t perfect and it ain’t fair to him if yah keep him on a pedestal.”

Twilight gave a sigh, “You’re right.” Twilight acknowledge but it was clear she was unsure how exactly to feel.

“Well I don’t know about you all but since we have a wedding in Chantalot to help prepare, TO THE TRAIN STATION!” Rarity exclaimed as she started to direct everyone towards the Magiville train station, not forgetting their pets.


Hours later having left their pets with Big Mac and informed Sweetie Belle's and Scootaloo's parents and Granny Smith, the ten were on the last train to Chantalot that day and were getting ready to get into their bunks within the single female sleeper car, save Spike, who was mingling before he had to go into the single males car, “This is so exciting, you are going to perform a sonic rainboom at a wedding!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “I can’t believe my parents actually agreed to let me come along.” she could barely contain herself jumping up into the air higher than what she should have with her ethereal wings and as she descended her wings gave out causing her to fall. However, Rainbow Dash caught her before she could hurt herself.

“Take it easy there, squirt, if anything happens to you I am the one who will be up the creek.” Rainbow Dash pointed out as she sat Scootaloo down. She then joined her on the bunk, “But a sonic rainboom at a wedding, can you say ‘Best Wedding Ever!’?” She asked out loud in a cheer.

“BEST WEDDING EVER!” Pinkie Pie cheered.

Spike gave a sigh, “We get it, you’re excited about hosting the reception. I am going to miss out on the bachelor party.” he informed as he walked towards the doors to the next sleeper car which was his destination.

“You’ll have to take that up with Shining’s best man.” Rarity pointed out, “But it’s probably for the best that you didn’t, Spikey-Wikey. Given that you’re only ten going on eleven years old. But don’t worry dear, you are the ring bearer, while the Best Man will be tasked to force the groom to say ‘yes’ if he gets cold feet, you will be the one carrying the very symbol of the union between the groom and the bride.” She said comforting the dragon with a dramatic flair as she mentioned the importance of the ring-bearer. “Sweet dreams, darling.” Rarity then gave Spike a chaste kiss on the top of his head. Spike froze and then started to rise and float into the other car on a cloud of hearts. “Well, he’s in better spirits now. Well everyone, we better get to sleep, we’ll be arriving in the morning.” Rarity said as she pulled out a set of sleepwear and a sleeping blind.

Sweetie Belle giggled, “Can you believe it? We are actually part of the wedding.”

“I know, wait until Diamond Tiara hears about that, she’s going to lose it.” Scootaloo cheered earning some laughs from Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

“Girls, Ah get that Diamond has been a… Ah cannot say it because Ah’d be insulting Winona, but from what yah all told us and from what Ah’ve seen, giving Diamond a taste of her own medicine ain't goin’ to get ‘er ta stop. Now Ah ain't gonna say ‘Don't tell her’ but Ah am sayin’ is don’t rub it her face. Just state it, treat it like it was just a normal thing and move on, if yah do more ‘an that the gesture will lose significance an’ meanin’.” Applejack said trying to stop the three from doing something they might regret as she prepared her bunk.

“Besides if you treat it like it was just an average day and nothing else it will shut her up for far longer than if you constantly gloat about it. Trust me, she is one that thrives on attention and trying to one-up others. I was, regrettably, not much different than her when I was your age." Rarity confessed. "But acting towards something you did which she can never hope to accomplish like it was par for the course will stop her in her tracks for a good while.” Rarity assured as she turned from her bunk to the three younger sisters.

“But don't be afraid to brag about it to some of the other kids.” Rainbow Dash cut in, but everyone just looked at her, Rarity and Applejack were unamused and borderline annoyed. Everyone else was not entirely sure what to say or do. "What? They are going to be the flower girls of a royal wedding, there will be like only one more in their lifetime tops." Rainbow countered. Rarity and Applejack rolled their eyes.

Twilight gave a sigh causing everyone to turn their attention to her, “Still a little sour about not being told about the engagement?” Rainbow Dash asked Twilight. Twilight nodded. “I am technically an only child, but I get what’s it like to not know something from a family member, to this day I don’t know who my mother is, Nightshade claimed that she is but I haven’t talked to my dad about it. Well, I got some z’s to catch.” Twilight thought about what Rainbow Dash said. As everyone else prepared to go to bed.

It didn’t make things easier concerning Shining not telling her about Mi Amore Cadenza, but she was starting to accept that maybe there was a reason why Shining didn’t tell her, but she decided to get some sleep.


Twilight felt someone jumping onto and off of her bunk. She woke up to see Pinkie Pie excitedly jumping from bed to bed, for some reason she had a stuffed animal that Twilight had never seen before. “WE’RE HERE! WE’RE HERE! WE’RE HERE!” the pink jester shouted with joy. Everyone gave subdued growls, ‘aha’s’ and other groans of annoyance, save for Applejack who seemed to just smile and got out of her bunk. Twilight was the last to get up she as she did she looked out one of the windows and next to her bunk and noticed that there was a large purple bubble that encompassed the mountainside city. That caught everyone off guard. “That’s bizarre, maybe we’ll get answers when we get there,” Pinkie Pie said looking over Twilight’s shoulder. Twilight gave a sigh, she knew that shield bubble, Shining Armor was not only getting married but he’s on the job, so much for trying to get an explanation out of him.

After thirty minutes the train came to a complete stop and the conductor called out for everyone for Chantalot to disembark, as they exited they noticed a lack of people, “There must be some sort of lock-down in place. The weddings of the nobles have been known to bring out the strangest of people. I dare not imagine if there was no lockdown in place for this royal wedding.” Rarity commented as everyone exited the train.

However, there was one man on the platform. Twilight recognized him in an instant, even though he was not in his usual purple colored armor. On his secured back was a spear. Its point was more like a short double-edged blade than a normal spear point, allowing him to slash and stab his foes. He wore a set of gauntlets which looked akin to heater shields, depicted on them were a six-pointed star, similar to the one that part of Twilight's own mark. He also had white elbow guards with three blue stars, white castle turret themed pauldrons, brown boots with white and gold knee guards, blue pants, a purple open coat with blue padding, a rising sun like guard over the center of his chest and on his head was a unique helmet, which while exposed his hair and the top of his head, it kept his focus gem, a light purple gem cut like a pyramid, right in the center of his forehead.

Twilight gave a sigh, “Ah take it, t’at’s Shining Armor.” Applejack commented. Twilight nodded in response, “Well yah better getta goin’ and have the heart to heart. We know our way to the castle. Come on gal’s we got work to do, Apple Bloom we’re off to tha kitchen.” Applejack then gave Twilight a shove directing her towards Shining Armor as she and the rest started towards the castle.

Twilight reluctantly walked to where Shining Armor was. “Twily!” he exclaimed cheerfully as he caught sight of her and ran up to her, ending his jog by embracing Twilight, picking her up in the process. “It’s so good to see you again. How long has it been, kiddo?” he asked as he placed Twilight back on her feet.

Twilight scowled as she spoke, “Why didn’t you tell me you were getting married?” She asked clearly bitter. Before Shining could speak, “I didn’t even hear about it until yesterday and from an invitation from Princess Celestia. Not even a letter from you.” She stopped she knew if she continued she would work herself into a such a state she would burst into flames.

Shining placed his right hand on her left shoulder, “I am sorry, but with Luna’s reinstatement, I had to oversee the training of new recruits and bringing former reservists up to the level of the regulars to fill the new retinues and corps that formed as result. But how about we head to the castle and talk?” Shining offered. Twilight was still clearly angry, but she lightened up a little, just enough to hear Shining out.

It was about twenty minutes later as the two arrived at the castle, “...and then the whole re-assigning of the crew of the Phoenix while it's being rebuilt. It was like every time I got the chance to sit down to pen a letter something new would come up. I was lucky to get enough time to try to surprise you for your birthday and we remember how that turned out. Do you understand now, it’s not because I don’t care about you and our relationship.” Shining Armor said as he finished his explanation.

“Okay I get it, but you could have told me after Spike and I got back to the Golden Oak?” Twilight asked, she was calmer now but she was still annoyed.

“Well, what kind of BBBFF would I be if I took away from your birthday party by changing focus to my engagement?” Shining asked with a small smile on his face. Twilight had to concede the point but she was still angry, “But I understand if you don’t want to be my best maiden.”

“Wait you want me to your best maiden?” Twilight asked as she suddenly felt a rush of joy.

“There is no one else I would ask to be by my side and have my back on the biggest day of my life,” Shining said as his smile grew.

“I...I...Yes. Yes. Yes!” Twilight cheered as jumped up and hugged her brother almost forcing him off his balance. “Wait until I tell Princess Celestia.” She cheered as she let go of her brother as she started to leave and go into the castle.

“Um, you won’t be able to do that,” Shining said causing Twilight to stop. She turned with a confused look on her face. “Yeah, you see normally there would be more guards and such for an event like this but there is a war game going on.” Shining Armor pointed to a nearby bench and sat down on it.

“Wait, what?” Twilight asked baffled as she joined her brother.

“Well, you see the military was scheduled for a war game this month and it was randomly selected to be held this week, both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna won’t be back until the game is over.” Shining Armor informed as he looked up at the sky.

“So Princess Celestia won’t be presiding? But I just got the invitation yesterday. She should have told me.” Twilight was clearly not happy about it, it was like Princess Celestia just dumped something in her lap and bolted, which seemed amazingly out of character for the princess when Twilight thought back to her past experiences with the nation’s ruler.

“I am not happy about it either, but national security prevented Princess Celestia from telling you, it’s also why the war game is even going on and part of it requires that wargames are random and often conducted at inconvenient times to best prepared in case of invasions.” Shining Armor informed. “Now there would be more guards here, but thanks to this.” Shining continued but stopped took his spear and made a purple six-pointed star like the ones on his gauntlets directing to the sky, he then reached out with his right hand as it condensed and brought it to his forehead and placed it to be aligned with his focus gem, “ALEXANDROS MEGOS!” He shouted as he let go of the star and looked to the sky. The star converted into a beam and shot right into the bubble shield making a popping sound and causing it to gleam for a second. Shining Armor stumbled a little backward as he held his head. He gave a groan that Twilight did not miss, then continued. “I have the city’s defenses covered. There are a few squads of the guards but I pretty much have the city secured.”

Twilight saw that action was starting to make Shining experience headaches but she knew that pressing the issue would only exasperate the headache Shining was experiencing, “I see.” She said. “But there is still this girl you’re marrying. Who is this Mi Amore Cadenza? I never heard …” Twilight started but stopped as she heard Shining start to chuckle. “What?” She asked taken aback.

Shining took a breath to stop the laughing, “Woo, thanks, Twily, I needed a good laugh. ‘Mi Amore Cadenza’ is a royal name. You know who it belongs to, she was your sitter after I started my basic training.” Shining did not answer her question but he did give her a hint which has been a key part of their relationship.

After a second of thought, Twilight gasped in delight as her eyes widen in delight and joy, “You mean the greatest sitter in the history of sitters, Cadance?!” Twilight exclaimed and gave a squeal of delight.

“I wouldn’t know, Mom and Dad didn’t need a sitter for me. But I will take your word.” Shining said as he chuckled as he saw his sister start to go down memory lane.

In a flashback Twilight as a little girl was on a swing in the Chantalot Park with a teenage Cadance pushing her as she swung. “I am so lucky to have you as my sitter,” Twilight said looking to Cadance like the sister she never had.

Cadance chuckled, “No I am the lucky one.” She said as she continued to ‘help’ Twilight swing.

Twilight shook her head in disbelief, “But you’re a princess, under Princess Celestia’s own tutelage. I am just a normal girl.”

“Wow, been reading a dictionary lately?” Cadance asked jokingly,

“Thesaurus actually,” Twilight answered giggling as she got off the swing.

Cadance shook her head with a smile on her face, “You are anything but normal, Twilight. We best get you home, your mother would love to see her little girl to greet her at the return of her book tour.” Cadance took Twilight by the hand and started to exit the park.

“Can we do it one more time?” Twilight asked as she gave puppy eyes and quivering lower lip.

Cadance shook her head and smiled. She covered her eyes with her hands, Twilight mirrored and they started to sing. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake!” The two sang as they revealed their eyes. “Clap your hands,” they continued as they clapped their hands together. They turned to be side by side and “And do a little shake.” the two said as they shook their hips and started to laugh as they continued to head out.

As the two were walking they noticed a couple arguing. “Wait here,” Cadance said as she walked up to the two. “Are you both alright?” She asked the couple. The two did not answer but clearly showed that they were not happy. “Maybe this can help.” Cadance conjured a red heart in her hands and pulled it apart and said, “Amore,” as she sent each half to the couple, the heart merged after passing through the two and the two started to talk happily like the two were having their first date again. Cadance then turned away and returned to Twilight with a smile on her face and they renewed the return home.

As the flashback ended, “Cadance is going to be my sister!” Twilight cheered as she hugged Shining Armor. The two started to laugh happily.

“Excuse me. Is there something important that I am interrupting?” The siblings turned to see Cadance walk towards the two. She looked at like she was a little stressed.

Twilight ended her embrace and ran over to Cadance “Cadance!” she cheered as she recognized her old sitter. She stopped two arm lengths away. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hands and do a little shake!” Twilight sang as did the little schoolyard song and dance that was their handshake. However, she noticed that Cadance was not mirroring her or doing their song and dance.

Cadance just stared at Twilight in a state of being somewhere between bored and confused, “What are you doing?” she asked Twilight as if she did not recognize Twilight or their ritual.

Twilight shocked as at that, ‘how could she forget?’ she thought. In disbelief, “Cadance, it's me, Twilight! You were my sitter.” Twilight tried to get Cadance to remember her, confused at how distant and… cold Cadance seemed.

Cadance just walked past Twilight giving an uninterested, “Uh-huh.” as she headed towards Shining Armor and hugged her fiancée and the two shared a kiss.

As the two broke the kiss, Shining spoke, “Listen, I've gotta get back to patrol, but Cadance will be checking in on all of you to see how things are going.” Shining said, as he turned to face Twilight, as he kept right arm over Cadance’s shoulders with his right hand on Cadance’s right shoulder. “But, I think I speak for both of us when I say we couldn't be more excited to have you here. Right, dear?” He said as he looked at Cadance with a smile.

Cadance looked up at Shining gave him a smile and then turned to face Twilight with what seemed to be a dark smile, “Absolutely.” Cadance replied but Twilight noticed that there was something off like Cadance was subtly making a jab at Twilight, that she was trying to goat Twilight to do something. But, that was something Cadance would not do as Twilight recalled.

Shining Armor kissed Cadance ending their embrace, “Well, I'll let you get to it.” Shining walked over to Twilight. “See you both later. Love you, Twily,” he said as he hugged her and left the two. Twilight was clearly unsure about Cadance.


Meanwhile, in one of the more barren areas of Mystica, Celestia and Luna were looking over a map of the area, not far from them was the better part of the ESM making camp. “So let’s see if We understand this correctly? The ESM is divided into two armies, and using non-lethal means the two armies fight for how long?” Luna asked.

“Best eleven out of twenty. Normally I am on the sidelines watching, but with you here, I can finally get involved and have some real fun.” Celestia answered and giggled in delight.

“A millennium of doing this by yourself must have been boring.” Luna had to concede to her sister then she had a moment of clarity, there was another princess for at least a decade, albeit not on the level of Celestia but still, “What about Cadance surely you had war games with her?” Luna asked voicing her concern and disbelief.

“But Cadance is so predictable,” Celestia claimed, “I need a real challenge. So how about these titles, those under one of our commands will be fighting for the ‘Lunar Republic’ while the forces will be fighting for the ‘Solar Empire’? Too on the nose?” Celestia asked as she showed two insignias, one was a blue upward facing crescent moon, with lighter blue open wings along the sides, a spear the same shade of blue as the crescent moon pointing upwards with a five-pointed star the same shade as the wings at the tip of the spear. The other was made of three rings, from the outermost to the innermost red, black and red, encircling a golden circle with a red spear pointing upwards and flanked by golden wings wrapping around the circles. Celestia then gave a big toothy grin as she was trying to convince Luna to go along.

"Aren't you worried about missing the wedding, it is a big event?" Luna asked as she shook her head at her older sister's antics.

"Don't worry, we'll be in time for the actual ceremony. Besides, how often have you gotten the chance to one-up your sister?" Celestia asked as she beamed with delight clearly wanted to play this game with her long-absent sister.

Luna sighed accepting her sister’s request, “Alright, We shall be the …” Luna started but was cut short.

“No little Sister, tis I who shall usher in a new age, For the Republic!” Celestia said as she magically changed her gown to a lunar-themed with the insignia of the Lunar Republic on her chest. Celestia then burst into laughter was Luna was frozen in shock her mouth hung open and her right eye started to twitch. “Gotcha.”

“Has the last millennium been that boring?” Luna asked as she regained her composure.

Celestia stopped her giggle and was very serious, not the over the top cartoonish serious but true seriousness, “yes, yes it has. But what about your time on the moon?”

“We were trapped inside Nightmare Moon, She could walk in the dream-scape because We can, there is a reason Nightmare Moon is depicted the exact same way, everywhere. Also, the inhabitants of the other nations of the world just seemed so easy to terrorize and horrify.” Luna chuckled, “We have to admit Nightmare Moon really enjoyed it.” Luna answered. “But enough of the past, We shall have your treasonous head on a spike.” Luna declared as she used her magic to change her attire to be solar-themed with the Solar Empire insignia over her heart. “Best 11 out of 20, we swap after every 5?”

Celestia smiled as she nodded, their game was afoot.

Author's Note:

Song used B.B.B.F.F.