• Published 23rd Oct 2016
  • 3,302 Views, 250 Comments

Sour Sweet on the Inside - DarkMaster0224



Dark Steele is an everyday normal teenager, with a bad attitude. Expected to compete in the friendship games, students put up with Dark's attitude, except one. One student with similar problems, may just be the key to changing Dark's life.

  • ...
14
 250
 3,302

The Start Of Something New

Location: Crystal Prep

Today marked the day everyone had been waiting for: The Friendship Games. The one day Dark was the least excited for.

“Who’s ready for this day to be over?” Dark asked, walking out of the school with Eclipse, Lilac, and Twilight.

“Are you gonna mope all day?” Lilac asked.

“What did you expect?” Dark asked back. Lilac couldn’t answer because she knew her brother and wouldn’t expect any less or more of him by this point.

“I'm actually with Dark on this one, I just want to go to the games, see my mom and my sister and go home.” Eclipse said shrugging his shoulders.

“Oh quit your whining. It’ll be over quicker than you know it.” Lilac said giving her brother a slap on the back.

“Now that you’ve said that, it’ll be even longer.” Dark groaned.

“Who knows, maybe you’ll actually enjoy these games,” Twilight said.

Everyone stopped and looked back at Twilight with the same ‘really’ face.

“What? Anything is possible.” Twilight said, shrugging her shoulders.

“The only thing possible about these games is that they’re going to be boring,” Dark said annoyed

“Agreed.” Eclipse said with a nod. Lilac and Twilight shook their head at their friends.

Dark looked around and quickly realized something, “Hey, how come Lone isn't here?”

“I think he said he was sick or something.” Eclipse said, “I don't think he’ll be coming to the games today.”

“Aw, what a shame,” Lilac said with a small frown.

“Yeah, I heard Sunny Flare wasn't too happy about it either.” Eclipse said.

As the teens were walking towards the buses, Twilight pulled out a strange purple device on a chain and put it around her neck. Lilac saw it and she looked at it in curiosity, “Hey Twi, what's that you’ve got?”

“What this thing? It's just a little device I made last night.” Twilight said showing it to them.

“What’s it for?” Eclipse asked.

“Uh, it's for uh…” Twilight stuttered. Knowing it was really to measure the strange energy reading coming from Canterlot High, she didn’t want to tell anyone else.

“Knowing Twilight, it's probably a device to gather some kind of data during the friendship games.” Dark said walking towards the busses, “I’d have it track how lame and pointless these games are.”

The others just shook their heads and followed Dark onto the bus. Everything seemed fine and dandy until...

“ARE WE GONNA WIN!?” Dark and the others jumped as they saw Indigo Zap chanting the same words over and over again.

“Who cares!” Dark said harshly.

“Wrong answer, try again!” Indigo said getting min Dark’s face, “Are, we, gonna, WIN!?”

“You’re about to win a fist to the face if you don't get out of mine!” Dark said pushing Indigo back down into her seat.

“Hey hey, whoa, no need to get violent, Dark.” Eclipse said pulling him back.

“Geez man, all I asked was-” Indigo began.

“And does that require you to yell in my face!?” Dark asked sticking his face into Indigo’s.

Indigo’s expression went from excitement to irritated. She was about to lash back at Dark but was cut off before she could say anything.

“Just because you're not excited for the games, doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it to everyone else,” Sour said standing up.

Dark was about to argue, but as he balled up his fists, he felt a hand grab his wrist. He looked down and saw Twilight looking up at him and shake her head. He sighed and loosened up.

Everyone went and took a seat on the bus with Dark and Lilac sitting more in the back. Dark looked behind him and saw Twilight sitting down next to Lemon Zest, who was blasting her music through her headphones.

“Dude! You have gotta hear this!” Lemon said pulling her headphones off and putting them on Twilight’s head, causing her to cringe as the music blasted into her ears.

Dark only chuckled as he turned back around. Today was going to be a very interesting day. Very interesting.

Canterlot High School

“Hey wake up sleepy head.” Lilac said shaking her brother.

“Hhng? Wha? What happened?” Dark mumbled half asleep.

“We’re here,” Lilac said pointing out the window.

Dark turned around to see what she was pointing at. He could see a school with a large horse statue. They had arrived at Canterlot High School. He looked at the statue and smirked, “I remember dressing that horse as a clown.”

“Sigh, you always were a troublemaker,” Lilac said shaking her head.

The busses came to a halt and opened the doors. Lilac instantly got up and headed for the front. Dark waited for all the others to pass him before he got up. He was about to get off his seat, but as he got up, he bumped into someone. Something clicked in his head and he reached out and grabbed the person.

“Hey, get your hands… off… me.” Sour said as Dark’s arm wrapped around behind her, catching her fall.

Both Dark and Sour’s faces lit up bright red.

“Uh… Sorry.” Dark said as he stood Sour up right.

“I-It’s ok... I wasn't paying attention.” Sour said. Her stomach was suddenly feeling light as she looked at the boy.

‘Why am I apologizing!?’ Dark thought to himself.

The two of them just stood there, staring at each other, both faces bright red.

“Hey what's taking you so long!?” Lilac called walking back up the bus stairs.

Dark snapped back into reality and quickly turned around, “I’m coming, relax.” He grabbed his bag and moved quickly towards the front, leaving Sour by herself on the bus staring into the empty space where Dark was standing.

‘Why does this always happen when I see him?’ Sour asked herself.

Time Skip, Canterlot High Halls

Eclipse, Lilac and Dark entered the halls of Canterlot High School and were on their way to the gymnasium. As they were walking, Dark had noticed Twilight wasn’t with them, “Hey, where did Twilight go?”

“Oh, she said she had something she needed to check on.” Eclipse said, “Although, it was weird because I thought I saw her staring at that necklace thing of hers.”

“Anyways, what were you doing on the bus with Sour?” Lilac asked.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing. She stepped in my way, causing me to be held up.” Dark said with a pissed look on his face.

“Your face sure tells that.” Eclipse said smirking at the boy.

“Oh shut up. My face is like this because of them.” Dark said as they turned the corner and saw several CHS students.

As they walked past them, Dark could hear a few of them whispering.

‘Hey, isn’t that the delinquent student?’ ‘I thought he got transferred to a different school.’ ‘I’ve got a bad feeling about that guy.’ ‘That girl’s kinda cute.’

Dark’s fists balled up as he continued to listen to students whisper about him, but a familiar hand grabbed his. He looked to his left and saw Lilac had a semi-serious look on her face, ‘Where did this side of Lilac come from?’

They continued to walk through the halls until they reached the gymnasium. Upon entering the gym, Dark noticed Lilac was still holding his hand, “Uh… Lilac. Do you mind letting go of my hand?”

“Huh? What?” Lilac said looking down at her hand. She quickly pulled her hand off, “Oh I’m so sorry. I don’t know what came over me.”

“It’s fine,” Dark said, still slightly confused.

“Wow… This sure is a lively bunch of people.” Eclipse said looking at the mass of students within the gym.

Both Crystal Prep and Canterlot High students were standing on separate sides of the gym, neither interacting with the other.

“What were you expecting? A party?” Dark said crossing his arms.

Lilac rolled her eyes and sighed at her brother. She then noticed Twilight and a girl with pink poofy hair pushing two giant gift boxes into the gym, “What the heck?” She said watching the pink girl disappear behind the bleachers and reappeared behind the food table, “How the?” She pulled the sheet and wrapped up the food, pulling it off the table and then replacing it with a large display of cupcakes.

Suddenly the lights went off and a disco ball lit up the room and the music had changed to a more techno-dance type.

“What just happened?” Dark asked confused.

“Uh, I think you just got your party,” Lilac said looking around.

POOF

Suddenly, there was confetti and streamers falling from the ceiling. As the three looked around, they saw students from both schools beginning to dance around and interact with each other.

“Whoa! Whoever threw this party is a genius. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Crystal Prep students interacting with CHS this much.” Eclipse said seeing a few students dancing with each other.

“Well how about we join them?” Lilac said as she started dancing.

“Sorry but I don't- GAH!” Dark began but was quickly cut off by feedback sound of a mic being tapped and the lights flashing back on.

Everyone stopped their dancing and looked up at the stage. Principal Cinch was standing there with her finger tapping on the mic.

“Oh great. This is going to be good.” Dark said sarcastically, glaring at the principal.

“I'd like to thank Principal Celestia for her unconventional welcome. It's been four years since the last Friendship Games, but it feels as though nothing has changed.” Cinch said looking at the two schools separate back to their respective sides, “Canterlot High continues to pick its competitors in a popularity contest, while Crystal Prep continues to field its top students. It is a comfort to know that even after so many years of losses, your school remains committed to its ideals, however misguided they may be. I wish you all the best of luck, regardless of the inevitable outcome.”

“Geez, way to kill the mood. My ears are still ringing.” Lilac said as they walked to the right side of the gym.

With both schools separated to opposite sides of the gym again, various students glaring at the other team. Dark watched as Cinch smiled as she walked off the stage, seeing the negativity between schools, “She’s nothing but a cold-hearted woman. She’ll do anything to see others suffer.”

Time Skip, Parking Lot

After the announcements were finished, the Crystal Prep students left the gym and went back out to the parking lot near their busses, since the games didn’t start for another couple of hours.

Eclipse had disappeared off to somewhere, saying something about seeing his mom and sister; while Lilac had gone off to find Thunderlane. Both of them leaving Dark by himself. He tried looking around for Twilight, but she was nowhere to be found, “Damn… Now, what the heck am I supposed to do?”

Dark decided he was going to go for a walk around the school, “I’ve got nothing better to do.” He said pulling out his headphones and plugging them into his ears.

As Dark was walking alongside the school, he thought back to when he had caught Sour on the bus. Why did he do that? Normally he would have just let her fall to the ground, just like any other person. But something in him had told him he had to catch her. Why though?

He continued to walk and ponder this thought, he looked across the street and saw a couple walking on the sidewalk. They were both smiling at each other and laughing with one another. But the part Dark was looking more at, was the couple holding their hands. He looked down at his own hand and began to wonder, ‘What was it like to hold someone else’s hand like that?’ Something he would probably experience.

He continued to look at his hand, until something behind him tapped his shoulder, “HA!” He yelled quickly turning around and raising a fist. However, he put his fist down upon seeing what had tapped his shoulder. Sour Sweet had a shocked look on her face upon Dark yelling.

“Uh… Hi. Do you always yell and raise a fist when someone tries to get your attention?” Sour asked.

“Only when they come up behind me without saying anything,” Dark said pulling out his earbuds and crossing his arms.

“I tried calling your name, however, you seemed lost in thought staring at your hand and didn’t hear me.” Sour said frowning, “Why were you staring at your hand anyways? Did you cut yourself or something?”

Dark’s face turned a little red, “It was nothing. What do you want? Or are you here to tell me you were stalking me?”

“Hey, I wasn’t stalking you. I just came over to… To say thank you, and I’m sorry for bumping into you on the bus.” Sour said, her face turning a shade of red, “I imagine it was irritating that you had caught me. I was surprised you didn’t just drop me, but I’m grateful you didn’t.”

“Um… you're welcome. And it’s ok, you don't need to apologize, I didn’t mind. As long as you weren’t hurt, is what matters.” Dark said.

“I’m ok thanks to you,” Sour said smiling a bit.

“That’s good to know,” Dark replied.

The two of them just stood there for a few minutes.

“Well, I think I’m going to continue with my walk. See ya.” Dark said turning around and walking away.

“Y-yeah, see ya,” Sour said. Her voice sounded half sad for some reason as she didn’t want him to leave.

Walking back to the parking lot, Sour noticed something sparkling on the ground. She bent down and picked it up. Looking closely, she saw it was a dark blue ring with a cursive D inscribed into it, “This must be Dark’s.” She looked back at the boy and began running over to him, “Hey, I think you dropped th- AHH!” Sour had accidentally tripped and began falling forward.

“What did you…” Dark said turning around only to see Sour fall onto him.

“MHPH!”

Dark and Sour opened their eyes and they were horrified at what they had done.

Their lips were pressed against each other.