• Published 3rd May 2017
  • 5,300 Views, 89 Comments

Prom Night's Light - RS-Belle14



It's prom night! Time for the girls to dress up, take pictures, and have a good time.

  • ...
9
 89
 5,300

Dressing Up

It has been weeks since Princess Twilight had visited the human world for her first fitting. Since then, she had very rarely returned, reappearing only when she was notified to come try on the latest modifications to her dress and then almost immediately leaving afterwards. Her visits had been so brief that she did not even have time to visit any of Canterlot High friends except for Rarity. Twilight really wanted to see the rest of her friends, but the brief increments were really all the time she could ever afford to be away from Equestria. Well, it was usually all the time she could afford to be away from Equestria. Today, however...

This was it. Today was the big day. All those weeks of planning, preparation, and patience were finally going to be coming together. Today, Twilight was going to be spending the entire day with her human friends and attend the Canterlot High Senior Prom, and it all starts now.

"Oomph!" Twilight landed on the ground in front of the Canterlot High Wondercolt statue. Yeesh...I've really gotta find a way to make these interdimensional trips less...trippy. She rubbed her head. Maybe if I adjust the book's coordinates on the mirror and recalculate the separation between the points of three spacial dimensions, I can- "Whoa!" Before Twilight could even finish her thoughts, she found herself being lifted off the ground into a very strong bear hug.

"Twiliiiight!" Pinkie Pie squeed (and squeezed) from behind. "You're here! You're really here!"

Twilight struggled hard in the powerful grasp of her assailant. "Oh, hello...Pinkie...Pie," She managed to squeak out. "Good to...see you...again."

"Not as good as it is to see you!" Pinkie squeezed harder, causing Twilight's face to become more purple than usual. "It's been way too long since we've last seen you. You really need to drop by more often. We've really missed you," Pinkie dropped Twilight on the ground and raised her arms. "Welcome back!"

"Ooph!" Twilight caught her breath. Why do I keep falling when I'm in this world? "Thank you, Pinkie."

"Need a hand there, partner?"

Twilight looked up to see a smiling Applejack and Rainbow Dash offering their hands. "Hey," Twilight gladly accepted them and was pulled up into a nice group hug that was much softer than Pinkie's.

"Oh, it's so good to see you two again," Twilight hugged back.

"Right back at ya, pal," Rainbow replied as everyone began to let go. "What's up?"

Twilight playfully shrugged. "Oh, same old, same old. Just really looking forward to tonight."

"Gosh, Twilight," Applejack shook her head. "Ah still can't believe you're actually goin' with us."

"Yeah, no kidding," Rainbow Dash added. "This is gonna be awesome!"

"Best prom EVER!" Confetti exploded behind Pinkie.

Twilight giggled. "I hope so. Really though, I'm just happy I can join all of you tonight. Speaking of which," Twilight looked around the three other girls. "Where is everyone else?"

"Oh, they're over at the boutique gettin' ready," Applejack answered. "We told them we'd come for ya so they could go ahead and get started. Speakin' of which, we might wanna head over there and join them. The dance is in a few hours, and I'm pretty sure all our folks are already waitin' on us. Plus," Applejack tipped her hat. "I'm pretty sure there's a certain redhead over at the boutique that's achin' to see you, Twilight," She winked.

A blush faintly formed on Twilight's cheeks. "Yeah, we shouldn't keep anyone waiting," She said with a small smile. "Let's get going."

With that, the four friends ended their greetings and began to make their way to the boutique, catching up along the way.

"-And then the geodes broke off Gloriosa's necklace, came to us, and morphed into these," Pinkie showed Twilight her pendant. "Then we transformed, got new powers, and freed Gloriosa from the magic by hitting her with some magic blasts. You know, the usual."

"Interesting," Twilight inspected the pendant. "And now they grant you all powers?"

"Eeyup," Applejack answered. "Was a bit tricky to get used to at first, but we've been able to get a better handle on them with Sunset's help. Now, we can pretty much activate their magic whenever we want without any problem."

"Interesting. And you still don't know where they came from?"

"Eenope," Applejack shook her head. "We think they came from Equestria, but we haven't really had the time to look into it. Schoolwork on top of everythin' else we do doesn't leave us with much time to investigate these kinds of things. We were kinda hopin' you'd know."

Twilight frowned. "I'm sorry; I don't. Sunset told me about the pendants a while ago, but I haven't found anything about them, yet. I can guess that they're connected to the Elements of Harmony back in Equestria, but other than that, I don't know. Sorry."

"Eh, don't worry about it," Rainbow placed a hand on Twilight's shoulder. "These things can wait another day. All that matters right now is us having a good time tonight."

Twilight smiled. "Thanks, Rainbow."

They continued chatting for a while and, before long, they spotted the boutique. Once they saw it, they sped up their pace a bit until they finally stood before a pair of decorated doors.

"Well, here we are," Twilight and her friends excitedly entered the boutique.

Almost immediately after they entered, Rarity appeared from behind the shop, looking a little more bedazzled than usual. "Ah, there you all are. Welcome back, everyone. Twilight!" Rarity saw her friend and came up to give her a hug. "You're back! Oh, it's so good to see you again, darling."

Twilight giggled as she hugged back. "It's only been three days, Rarity."

"I know," Rarity pulled back to face Twilight. "But that doesn't make our reunions any less magical, does it?"

"Ha. I guess not."

"Twilight?" A voice called from one of the dressing rooms. Shuffling to the door, Sunset Shimmer creaked it open and took a peak out. "Twilight!"

"Huh?" Twilight looked toward the sound of her name and saw Sunset running up to her. "Sunset!"

Twilight and Sunset ran up to each other and met with a soft, warm embrace.

"Oh Twilight, I missed you," Sunset gently held Twilight.

"I missed you, too," Twilight rested her head on Sunset's chest, ready to hold on to this moment for as long as she could.

"Ahem," Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. "I don't mean to be a mood killer, but do you two think you can save it for later? Now's kiiiinda not the best time."

"Oh!" Twilight and Sunset simultaneously let go of each other. "Right."

"Though for what it's worth, it was a kind of adorable," Rarity winked.

Once she finished giving the couple her approval, Rarity took a look between the dressing rooms and her newly arrived friends and made a satisfied nod. "Well, by the looks of things, everyone is now all accounted for," She smirked. "Are you all ready to get started?" Rarity's friends all gave her a nod. "Wonderful! Now, I've reserved a private dressing room for the each of you in the back. In your rooms, you will find your dress, a makeup kit, a jewelry box, a hair brush, and anything else I thought you might need. If you are having difficulty putting on your dress, applying your makeup, fixing your hair, or anything else, let me know and I will come to assist you. Our families and friends will arrive in about two hours, but I assure you that we have plenty of time. There is no need to rush. Once everyone one is finally ready, I will make sure the stage is prepared and then we will begin," Rarity gave her friends a stern look. "Do you all understand?"

Everyone nodded. "Yes ma'am."

"Perfect. Now let's get fabulous!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Family members sat down across rows of chairs in the darkened boutique, aiming their phones and cameras at the makeshift runway, eagerly waiting for the girls to make their appearances. They continued waiting when a voice came on through the intercom.

"Testing. Testing. 1, 2, 3," Rarity's voice spoke. "Good afternoon, everyone. I hope you all have been having a wonderful day so far. First, I would like to start off by thanking each and every one of you for coming here, today. As you all know, today is a very special day for us, and it just means so much that you've all come to celebrate it with us. The prom is not just a party, but a final celebration to look back at high school years and remember all the wonderful times you've had with the ones you love. We thank you all for coming," Rarity cleared her throat. "Now, without further ado," The runway lit up and music began to play. "Let's get started."

The lights turned night blue with star lights shining all over the stage curtains. The curtains opened to first reveal Miss Twilight, wearing a long, strapless purple dress and heels that matched her primary hair color with her star hair clip on top. The bust and the skirt of the dress had been sequined to give her the look of a beautiful, starry night sky. After adjusting her glasses, Miss Twilight walked down the runway and flashed a hip pose, smiled, and walked back up.

The lights then became bright green and out came Applejack. She wore a lovely, sleeveless tan dress that's skirt stopped just above her brown, ankle-length cowgirl boots. Applejack strutted down the runway, stopped at the end, and tipped her hat at the crowd with a pose. She flashed one wink to her cheerers and strutted back up.

As soon as Applejack lined up beside Miss Twilight, the runway lights went from bright green to hot pink. Pinkie Pie hopped out from behind the curtains and showed off her prom dress. It was a bright pink, strapless dress with a frilly skirt that fell all the way to her knees. Her choice of footwear was a pair of hot pink heels with light blue diamonds in each center. With a bright smile, Pinkie skipped down the runway, blew a kiss pose for the crowd, and skipped up beside her friends.

Thunder roared through the speakers as the lights turned stormy blue and out came Rainbow Dash. She wore a royal blue dress that fell all the way to her ankles, just above her royal blue boots. The dress was decorated with some designed silver lining from below the bust all the way to the straps. With a confident smirk, Rainbow strutted down runway, crossed her arms, and leaned back. Satisfied, Rainbow Dash strutted back up to join her friends.

The stage brightened up to a light green as Fluttershy slowly stepped out from behind the curtain to reveal her light green dress. The front of the skirt hovered just over her knees as the rest fell all the way to the ground with the opening revealing her thin, silver heels. Slowly, Fluttershy walked down the runway, smiled at the crowd when she reached the end, and gave them a small bow before walking back up.

The lights turned into a bright night blue and Princess Twilight emerged. Her outfit was a strapless, bright violet dress and heels that matched her highlights. On her decorated hair stood a silver and purple tiara with a purple centerpiece that resembled Twilight's cutiemark. Like her counterpart's, her dress's bust and skirt had also been sequined to resemble a starry, purple sky. Twilight walked down the runway, stopped at the end, and gave the crowd a regal, little twirl.

Right as Twilight lined up beside her friends, the stage turned light red for Sunset Shimmer to appear and debut her cyan prom dress. Its straps fell down to her arms and it had multiple skirts with each layer being slightly sequined to give the dress a nice, shimmering look under the lights. Sunset walked down the runway and gave the crowd a lovely, bright smile. After holding that pose for just a little longer, Sunset turned around and walked up to her friends.

Finally, the lights turned light blue, and out came Rarity wearing some fabulous diamond bracelets, a gorgeous pair of silver heels, and a beautiful, strapless baby blue dress. The dress had a sparkly silver belt that covered the bottom of the bust all the way down to the top of the belt line and a split on the left side of the skirt to show a little leg. As soon as the first wave of cameras calmed down, Rarity gracefully strutted down to the end of runway, placed her hands on her hips, and posed for the crowd. Once finished, Rarity looked back and motioned for her friends to come down and join her.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Rarity spoke into the microphone. "I present to you our prom dresses," The girls all took a bow together, and the crowd reacted by giving them a big round of applause.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rarity had left for backstage after the fashion show had ended, and all of the boutique's lights were turned back on. After everyone's eyes had adjusted, the girls climbed off the runway and walked off to see their respective families and dates.

Pinkie Pie hopped off the stage and practically sprang to her family. "Soooooo," She spun around. "What do you think?"

"It is most lovely, Pinkamena," Igneous Rock said as his wife nodded.

"Eh," Limestone smirked. "Not bad."

"Mm-hmm," Marble smiled.

Pinkie then turned to see her older sister. "Maaaauuuud?"

"It's very pretty," Maud stared at Pinkie's dress. "I like it."

"Ah!" Pinkie clapped her hands together. "Thank you! I knew you would like it! I only wish my dress was as pretty as yours."

Maud was wearing a simple, long-sleeved, dark blue dress and slippers. "That doesn't matter," She placed a hand on Pinkie's shoulder. "What matters is that we have fun tonight and make this the best prom ever."

Pinkie smiled. "Oh Maud," She hugged her sister. "Will your wisdom ever cease to amaze me?"

Fluttershy walked up to her family after she had separated from her friends. Once she reached them, Fluttershy smiled at her parents and gave them a little bow.

"Hi," Fluttershy brushed her hair out of her face. "What do you think?"

"You look beautiful, dear," Mr. Shy smiled.

"You really think so?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, without a doubt, honey" Mrs. Shy tearfully hugged her daughter. "Look at you. You've grown up so fast," Mrs. Shy gave her daughter a little kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Mom," Fluttershy hugged back.

"We-he-he-ll, look at you, Big Sis," Zephyr Breeze stepped in between Fluttershy and his mother. "I gotta agree with Mom and Pop and say you and your friends are looking flyyyyy."

Fluttershy snickered at her brother's compliment as she separated from her mother. "Thank you, Zephyr."

"Any time, Sis," Zephyr looked around the room. "Now, what happened to your date? They were just here a second ago."

"Coming!" Fluttershy and her family turned toward the direction of the sound to see Treehugger emerge from a nearby door. She was wearing a pink, long-sleeved dress and slippers. "Like, sorry about that," She approached the Shies. "Mother Nature was calling out to me, and I had to answer her. Like, sorry, Fluttershy."

"Oh, it's all right, Treehugger," Fluttershy assured. "I can't thank you enough for coming with me."

"Like, don't worry about it. What are friends for?"

Fluttershy smiled. "Thank you, Treehugger."

Soon after Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy left, Miss Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash climbed off stage to chat with their families as well. While the rest of their friends were off, Twilight and Sunset stayed behind, staring, smiling at each other.

"Wow," Sunset breathed out. "You look...amazing."

"Thank you," Twilight playfully replied. "You do, too."

"Thanks. I was really hoping you'd like it," Sunset took a step closer. "And I really want to thank you for coming. I know you must be really busy back in Equestria with your royal duties and all."

"Well, yes. Generally, I am pretty busy back home, buuuut," Twilight took Sunset's hand. "I can always make some time for you."

Sunset smiled. "Thanks, Twilight."

Twilight and Sunset continued catching up for a while. Eventually, they made their way off the stage and met up with Rarity and Rainbow Dash, who had just separated from their families.

"Hey, girls," Sunset greeted. "What's up? How'd everyone like your outfits?"

"Oh, they absolutely loved it, darling" Rarity happily replied. "Mother and Father thought I looked precious, and Sweetie Belle said I would just have to make her dress as beautiful as mine whenever she goes to her prom."

"And my folks thought I looked all right. Scootaloo seemed to like it, too," Rainbow casually added.

"I bet," Sunset nodded.

"So," Twilight asked her two friends. "Are you two going together?"

Rarity and Rainbow Dash gave each other a little chuckle and turned back to Twilight. "You could say that," Rarity answered. "Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and I are all going together as friends. Just friends."

"Oh," Twilight nodded. "That's nice."

"Thank you, darling."

Sunset looked back and forth between Rarity and Rainbow Dash. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait. What?" Sunset stared in disbelief. "What do you mean you two are going together? I thought you two were both trying to go with..." Sunset looked over her shoulder and took a quick glance at the other side of the room before turning back to her friends. "You know."

That caused Rarity and Rainbow Dash to look back at each other, their expressions a bit more unfriendly this time.

"Why, yes," Rarity answered without turning away from Rainbow. "You are correct, Sunset. Rainbow Dash and I were both vying to take a particular someone to the prom as our date."

"Totally," Rainbow sternly stared at Rarity. "Problem was, we knew we both wanted to take her for ourselves, so we made a deal," Rainbow squinted her eyes. "Or at least, I was proposed one."

Rarity did not seem to like hearing that. "We agreed not to compete for her companionship nor inform her of our interest and to just let her decide who would be her prom date on her own."

Rainbow crossed her arms. "But someone never considered the possibility that she might, just might consider going to the prom with someone else, entirely."

Rarity scowled. "It was the right thing to do, and you know it."

Rainbow leaned in. "Yeah? Well, now neither of us are going to the prom with her."

Rarity gritted her teeth. "How was I supposed to know she would choose to ask some hippie over her two best friends?"

"Well, now we're both gonna have to see her go with someone else."

"Aaaand-" Applejack suddenly appeared and stepped in between Rarity and Rainbow Dash. "You're both very happy for her because she found a nice friend she could go to the prom and have a good, fun time with, and her happiness is all that really matters to the both of ya," Applejack wrapped her arms around her friends' shoulders and pulled them in. "Riiiight?"

Rarity and Rainbow Dash glanced at each other and nodded after a moment of silence. "Right," They simultaneously answered.

"My apologies, Rainbow Dash," Rarity stepped out of Applejack's arm and sincerely offered Rainbow Dash her hand.

"Same here," Rainbow reached over and shook it.

Sunset cautiously stepped closer. "So, is everyone good, now?"

"Yes, everything's fine," Rarity assured. "Sorry for worrying you, darling. I got carried away for a moment."

"Yeah, me too."

"And what does it matter anyway?" Rarity stepped in between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. "Who says we need a date to have fun tonight?" She said in an as a matter of fact tone.

"I don't," Rainbow smirked.

"Me neither," Applejack added.

Sunset chuckled. "But what about all those guys that were asking all of you to be their date?"

"Oh, who needs 'em?" Applejack shrugged off. "Ah don't recall ever havin' more fun with a date than Ah've had with my friends. What about you gals?"

"Nope."

"I don't recall."

Applejack looked back at Sunset. "See?"

"Admirable," Sunset and Twilight nodded.

"Thank you," Rarity giggled. "Now then," She checked her cell phone. "We've spent enough time mingling here, don't you think? Why don't we start heading out to the park, now? We are on a pretty tight schedule after all."

"Sure."

"All right."

"Sounds good to me."

"Wonderful," Rarity turned around and began to walk away. "Then, let's get to it-"

"Wait!" Miss Twilight suddenly appeared, looking rather excited. "I've got to do one more thing before we leave," She grabbed Twilight's hand. "Please, come with me, Princess."

"Uh, sure," Twilight allowed herself to be taken to the other side of the room.

Miss Twilight stopped a few moments later, excitingly looking up at the four figures in front of her. "Mom, Dad, Shining Armor, Cadance, this is my friend, Princess Twilight."

Twilight looked up and smiled at all the very familiar looking adults. "Hello," She happily waved.

Twilight Velvet and Night Light shockingly stared back and forth between their daughter and the princess, not muttering a single word.

"Oh...honey, look," Twilight Velvet was able to squeak out. "Twilight wasn't kidding."

Night Light shook his head. "Uh-uh."

"Whaaaa...?" Shining Armor murmured as Cadance patted the back of his head.

Twilight looked over at Miss Twilight and found her snickering.

Twilight playfully shook her head. "Did you really have to do this, now?"

Miss Twilight shrugged. "It was best to get it over with."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little while after that awkward family fiasco had ended, the girls gathered up their dates and families and began to leave the boutique. Once they were out, Rarity locked the doors and everyone headed to their respective vehicles.

Twilight followed Sunset to a bright pink car parked on the other side of the boutique.

"Uh..." Twilight stared at the vehicle. "So this is your car?"

"Eeyup. She's mine. Won her in a radio competition. She's perfect. Just my style, right?"

"Um...Sure."

"Kidding," Sunset elbowed Twilight and laughed. "This is Pinkie's car. She's letting us borrow it for the night," Sunset walked over to the driver's side.

"Ooooh," That makes much more sense. "But then what are Pinkie and Maud going in?"

"Maud's car."

Twilight nodded as she walked toward the passenger's side. "Of course."

"Eeyup," Sunset entered the driver's side and strapped on her seat belt. "Ready to go?"

"Almost," Twilight struggled to get her skirt inside. "Just gotta...get this thing...through...Got it!" Twilight closed her door and buckled up. "Ready!"

"Great," Sunset turned the keys in the ignition.

"So, where are we going, again?"

"We're just heading over to the public park to take a few more pictures. You know, for the family albums and what not."

"Oh," Twilight nodded. "Okay, I get it."

"Yup," Sunset shifted the car into reverse. "It shouldn't take too long. I promise."

"Ha. Don't worry about me. I promised our friends back in Equestria that I'd bring them back some pictures, so I'm all for this."

Sunset chuckled. "All right, then," She began to back up the car. "Oh hey, do you mind if I put on some music?"

"No, I don't mind."

"All right. Thanks," Sunset quickly pulled out her cell phone and tapped its screen a few times.

Sunset put her phone down and shifted car into drive. "All right, let's head out."

~End Chapter~

Author's Note:

This is probably the chapter where I had to make the hardest choices, and by that I mean the prom dates. Now, like many other fans, my favorite ships involving the main characters are female x female, but I don't think it would've been fair to have all the main characters be attracted to the same gender. That would make everything completely unbalanced (hence why I left the sexuality of Pinkie, Maud, Fluttershy, Treehugger, and Applejack in the air).

However, hooking up some of the girls with some established male characters is dangerous territory (especially since people have different ships), and I wasn't going to break my OC rule for this story, so I finally decided with Make New Friends but Keep Discord Gala dates, with the exceptions of Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack. I decided to keep them dateless to complete the prom date chart.

Also, I think Pinkie has my favorite prom outfit. Just saying.