• Published 3rd May 2017
  • 5,309 Views, 89 Comments

Prom Night's Light - RS-Belle14



It's prom night! Time for the girls to dress up, take pictures, and have a good time.

  • ...
9
 89
 5,309

Pre-Prom Preparation

"Yah!" Princess Twilight Sparkle landed on the ground with a light thud. "Whoa," She dizzily rubbed her head as she slowly looked up to where she had landed. "Canterlot High," Her dizziness faded. "Made it."

"Twilight!" A familiar voice called out from behind. Twilight turned around to see the human Rarity rushing toward her. "Twilight, are you all right?"

"Hey, Rarity," Twilight answered. "I'm fine. Just landing knees first. Nothing we haven't seen before."

"Thank goodness," Rarity helped Twilight get back up on her feet and then immediately pulled her into a big, warm hug. "Oh, welcome back, darling! It's so good to see you again. It has been far too long since your last visit."

"I know. I'm sorry," Twilight returned the hug. "I've been meaning to come, but I've just been so busy, lately."

"We know, darling," Rarity patted her back. "We know."

Twilight smiled. "It's really good to see you again, Rarity. How are you?"

"Oh, I am well, darling. Thank you. How about you?"

"I'm doing all right."

"Good to hear," Rarity pulled back a bit and beamed. "I still can't believe that you'll actually be joining us for the prom!" She squeed. "The others and I simply burst with excitement when we heard you were coming!"

Twilight giggled. "Well, how could I not come? Like you said, I haven't been back in a while, and the prom just sounds like the perfect way to spend some time with all of you, again."

"Hehe. Yes," Rarity smirked. "Spend time with us and that lovely little girlfriend of yours."

Twilight cheeks reddened. "Hehe...Yeah."

Rarity snickered as she patted both of Twilight's shoulders and let go of her. "Well then, why don't we head on over to the boutique, now? The dance will be here before you know it, and there is still much, much more work to be done."

Twilight nodded. "Sounds good to me."

Twilight followed Rarity away from Canterlot High and into the city. The path they were taking was a familiar one. After a fair number of visits to the human world, Twilight was getting pretty accustomed to the area around Canterlot High at this point. With a familiar street here and a familiar sign there, Twilight knew where they were going. Twilight and Rarity continued walking down the sidewalk, chatting with each other along the way.

"-But unfortunately, as soon we finished, Pinkie Pie accidentally activated her powers and destroyed the dock! There was nothing left! Nothing! It was completely ruined!...Again," Rarity sighed.

Twilight chuckled at her friend's overly dramatic performance. "Ha. Yeah, Sunset mentioned that in one of her messages. That's too bad. I guess, in the end, your class never really got to give Camp Everfree a gift for future campers, huh?"

"No," Rarity grumped. "Unfortunately not," Rarity's mood lightened when she saw her boutique was just at the end of the block. "Oh good, we're almost there! I simply cannot wait to show you the design I have in mind for your dress, darling. I know you are going to just absolutely love it."

"I'm sure I will, Rarity."

Rarity and Twilight continued walking down the sidewalk towards the boutique. It was not a very long walk at this point; a few more minutes of hearing Rarity chat about her dress and Twilight suddenly found herself standing in front of the boutique's front door.

Always a pleasure to see this place. Twilight gave the store a satisfied look. Just before she was about to enter, Twilight suddenly felt Rarity's arm grab her shoulder.

"Wait!"

"Huh?" Twilight turned around. "What's wrong, Rarity?"

"Uh...nothing, darling," Rarity gently removed her hand. "Nothing really. It's no real problem. I'm just overreacting a bit is all. It's just that...um, well," Rarity nervously rubbed the back of her head. "There's something I forgot to mention to you, earlier."

"Oh. Um, okay. What is it?"

"Well," Rarity cleared her throat. "Per the request of Sunset Shimmer, you will be going against my formal seamstress regulations and not be having your fitting alone today; she asked that one of our friends joins you."

"What?" Twilight paused and thought for a moment. "Huh. That's weird. Sunset never mentioned anything about that to me."

"Believe me, it came as a surprise to me too, darling. I wasn't informed until the very last minute. Nonetheless, I do apologize for forgetting to tell you earlier. It had completely slipped my mind, but I assure you that Sunset has a very good reason for making this sudden arrangement."

"It's okay, Rarity," Twilight assured. "Really, I'm not upset about you forgetting, and I don't mind having my fitting with one of our friends at all," Twilight grabbed the door handle and began to enter the boutique. "I just find it a little strange that Sunset never mentioned any of this to me."

"Um," Rarity immediately followed her inside. "Perhaps it's because of who you're having your fitting with," Rarity suggested.

Twilight playfully raised her eyebrow at Rarity as they made their way to the back. "It's just one of our friends, right? It shouldn't be any problem. Why would Sunset not tell me because of..." Twilight entered another room and saw just who her guest was. "Oooh...Thaaaat's why."

"Oh," A very familiar looking purple girl with glasses noticed the room's two new occupants and weakly waved at them. "Um...Hello, there."

"I'm ba-ack," Rarity hummed. "And I brought company."

Twilight internally shook her head and laughed. I should've known. "Hello, Miss Twilight," Twilight approached her human counterpart. "How are you?"

"I'm doing good," She sheepishly smiled. "How about you, Princess Twilight?"

"I am also doing good. Thank you."

Rarity rolled her eyes. Here we go. "I'll go fetch my sketchbook," Rarity began to leave. "You two keep mingling. I'll be right back. Now, where did I leave my portfolio?"

After watching Rarity leave, Twilight turned her attention back to her double. "It's good to see you again, Miss Twilight."

"Oh please, Princess Twilight," Miss Twilight playfully shooed her hand. "Miss Twilight is my mother. You can just call me Twilight."

"Ha. Please tell me you're not serious."

"Of course not. Our coexistence in this world is confusing enough as it is. Let's not make this any more difficult than it has to be."

"Couldn't have said it better myself," Twilight nodded. "So, you're here to have your fitting, too?"

"Yes. However, seeing as my appointment turned up much earlier than I originally expected due to the behest of a, ahem, common friend of ours, it appears I'm here for more than just to see my dress."

"It appears so," Twilight agreed. "I'd say a proper introduction between the two of us has been long overdue, but..." She rubbed her shoulder. "This isn't exactly the setup I had in mind."

"Nor is it mine," Miss Twilight adjusted her glasses. "I'm guessing Sunset arranged this sudden meeting between us because-"

"The big dance is coming up real soon, and since we're going to most likely end up spending a lot of time with our mutual friends and, by extension, each other, we should probably properly introduce ourselves before then so we don't have an awkward night that could possibly ruin the prom for everyone?"

Miss Twilight nodded. "My thoughts, exactly."

"Well, that or Sunset did this just to have some fun with me," Twilight shrugged. "Could be both, actually."

"Possibly," Miss Twilight chuckled before giving her counterpart a warm smile. "I think it's really nice that you two are going together."

That surprised Twilight. "Really?"

"Of course. Sunset was really hoping you'd go with her, and she just looked so excited when she told us you agreed."

"Wow. Um, thank you, Miss Twilight."

"Hmm? Is something wrong?"

"Well no, not exactly. At least I hope not," Princess Twilight lightly kicked the ground and looked back up at her double. "It's just, and I don't mean to overstep my boundaries here, but I was a little worried that me going with Sunset might bother you because..." Twilight waved her finger between herself and Miss Twilight. "You know."

"I see," Miss Twilight adjusted her glasses. "I understand your concern, Princess Twilight, and let me assure you that I am perfectly fine with you going to the prom as Sunset's date. She and I are just friends, and we're only interested in each other as friends. You have nothing to worry about."

Twilight wiped some sweat off her forehead. Thank Celestia. "Thank you, Miss Twilight. I needed to hear that."

"You're welcome," Miss Twilight smiled.

"So," Twilight began. "Do you have a date to the prom?"

Miss Twilight stumbled back a bit and blushed. "Hehe...sort of."

"That's great. Is it that guy you met at Camp Everfree?"

That made Miss Twilight stand up straight. "Oh. Right. Him," Miss Twilight rolled her eyes. "No, he couldn't make it. Unfortunately, all the money we raised during the Crystal Ball fundraiser was only enough to cover the camp's debt for that one month. When the bill for the next month arrived, the camp didn't have enough money to pay, and the others and I weren't there to help set up another fundraiser, soooo...yeah, he doesn't have the money to make the trip all the way here."

"Oh," Wasn't expecting that. "Uh, sorry about that."

"It's fine. And it's really not that bad. With any luck, Camp Everfree will stay open...Hopefully. Besides," Miss Twilight put on a small smile. "I've found another date for the prom."

"Really? Who is it?"

Miss Twilight giggled. "It's-"

"Twilight!" A familiar voice called out.

Both Twilights looked toward the source of the sound to see a small, purple dog scurrying towards them. "Spike?"

"Twilight!" Spike said as he hastily stopped in front of Miss Twilight. "Have you seen Opal?! I let her out of my sight for just one second, and she got away!" Spike began to sniff around the ground and air. "But she's close. I know she is. I can smell it," Spike continued sniffing.

"Ah, perfect timing," Miss Twilight giggled as she picked up Spike and held him in a little hug. "Princess Twilight, meet my date."

"Hiya, Princess!" Spike welcomed. "Good to see you again!" He wagged his tail.

Twilight looked at Spike and smiled. "Hello there, Spike. It's good to see you, too," She petted his head. It really is uncanny. "You're taking Miss Twilight to the prom?"

"Uh huh," Spike nodded. "Twilight was a little upset when she found out that camp guy couldn't make it. When I saw how sad she looked, I decided I'd ask her to go with me."

"You should've seen him," Miss Twilight added. "I was in my room studying, and he came in through the door wearing a little, black bow tie in place of his dog tag. He walked up to me and said 'Twilight, I hate to see you so sad, and I really don't want you to miss out just because some guy couldn't make it. You've taken care of me for so long, and I can never thank you enough for that. You're my best friend, Twilight. Will you do me the honor of being my date to the prom?'" Miss Twilight snuggled the little pup. "He even brought me a little, pink rose. What else could I have said? I told him 'Yes' right on the spot."

"Awww," Twilight petted Spike's chin. "That's so sweet."

"Heh. Ah, it was nothing," Spike brushed off.

"No need for modesty, Spike," Miss Twilight said. "You really are a true gentleman."

Spike began to smirk a little. "Hmm. Well...I guess I can be a little-" Spike suddenly saw Opal emerge from a nearby fitting room. "THERE YOU ARE!!! ARF! ARF!" Spike barked as he wrestled out of Miss Twilight's arms. Once Opal was alerted of his presence, she screeched and began to run away with Spike immediately giving chase, leaving both Twilights behind, laughing.

"Oh, Spike...he may act like a gentleman sometimes, but he's still a dog in the end, I guess," Miss Twilight giggled.

Twilight fought back her laughs. "Hmhm. He certainly acts more like a dog than the Spike I know."

Miss Twilight snapped her fingers. "That's right. Isn't he a dragon in your world?"

"Uh-huh. He's a sentient, magic dragon and my loyal, number one assistant."

"Wow. That's pretty interesting. I'd like to meet him, sometime."

"I'd be happy to introduce you," Twilight nodded.

"I'm back," Rarity returned, holding her sketchbook. "I see Spike and Opal are having their fun. How lovely. Anyway, I apologize for taking so long. My portfolio was well hidden in my inspiration room," Perhaps I should've listened to Sweetie Belle after all. "Any who, come and take a look at your dresses," Both Twilights came closer. "Now, I should probably let you know that since you two are...you know, I made your dresses match each other's. Not copies, mind you, but complements," Rarity grinned. "I think you two are going to absolutely love them," Rarity opened her sketch book and showed them their dress designs.

Miss Twilight's eyes sparkled. "Ooooh. I really like mine," Miss Twilight looked to her side. "Princess Twilight?"

Twilight nodded. "Yeah. I like them a lot."

~End Chapter~

Author's Note:

I know, I know. I probably should've referred Human Twilight as Sci-Twi if I wanted to make things easier, but the thing is I just don't feel right about robbing someone of their name. It's just a me thing. I promise it gets much easier after this.