• Published 17th Oct 2016
  • 6,084 Views, 273 Comments

Freeport Venture: Blood and Iron - Chengar Qordath



Sunset Shimmer, magus-for-hire in the corrupt city of Freeport, finds herself in over her head when a mission to aid a village under attack by undead leads her to an old enemy and a terrifying new threat.

  • ...
16
 273
 6,084

What Comes After Sunset

“One thing I gotta ask,” Strumming whispered from her hiding place. “Why’s everyone so sure the zombies are gonna come at night? Is it, like, a tradition thing? ‘Cause I’m also pretty sure traditional undead don’t come with steel-plated bones.”

I groaned and shifted about as best I could without giving away my hiding place in the positively arid sorghum field. “Is it really that important, Strumming?”

“Could be.” She somehow managed to turn around to face me without making a ton of noise in the process. “Just saying: if I was a sneaky necromancer guy who knew everyone was expecting me to attack in the dead of the night, I’d let everyone stay up all night waiting for me to make my move, then attack about two hours after sunrise. Catch everyone while they’re tired from being up all night.”

“Every attack so far has been at night,” Starlight hissed in reply.

“Which could just be the bad guy establishing a pattern so he can break it later,” Strumming countered. “You’d be surprised how much you can throw someone off by giving them an incorrect first impression.”

From the grin on her lips, I got the feeling she was trying to send some kind of message with that remark. Maybe some sort of commentary on our first meeting. In hindsight, a part of me had to wonder if her cover ‘accidently’ being blown was really an accident at all. She’d been a bit too ready to give me a nice long talking-to about how my current lack-of-a-plan wasn’t working, but at the time I was taken in by the goofball antics. Hay, I’d still been blindsided by her killing off the bokor even though I knew Strumming was a lot more dangerous than she looked.

I didn’t particularly like being reminded of that again, but it did bring one or two worthwhile facts to mind. “There’s a reason undead usually stick to nighttime: direct sunlight weakens necromantic energy. Some types of undead are outright destroyed by it, but almost all of them will be weakened by it.” I held up a hoof to forestall the inevitable objection. “Almost all of them. There are ways to get around that, though it comes at a price. That’s why we carved through the bokor’s zombies without any trouble. I don’t think these crazy metal and fire zombies can have that and be shielded against the sun too. They won’t melt or catch on fire or anything, but if they attack while the sun’s up they’ll be way weaker.”

Starlight grimaced suspiciously. “How do you know so much about undead, anyway?”

I was tempted to not even dignify her remark with a response, but there was a simple enough answer. “I knew we were coming to an island under attack by a bunch of freaky zombies. Are you really surprised I did some research on the ship ride over?”

Strumming nodded along thoughtfully. “So he wouldn’t gain much of an advantage from attacking us at a different time then? Not unless he’s got more than zombies and other things that ought to be dead to throw at us, anyways.”

“Pretty much, yeah,” I confirmed. “Unless he really caught us by surprise, attacking during the day wouldn't be worth weakening his own guys. As far as living minions go, we haven’t seen any sign of them, and it seems pretty unlikely since Puzzle didn’t mention anything about someone hiring up mercs.” I frowned and shook my head. “If we assume he has everything we can’t prove he doesn’t have, then he's got so many nasty tricks up his sleeve that our best move would be to load up on boats and get out.”

Starlight frowned at me. “You make that sound like getting everyone onto ships in an emergency would be easy.”

I sighed and shook my head. “Puzzle’s been making a couple subtle preparations for just in case we have to do that, but I’m not planning to back down unless that’s the only sane choice.” Everypony seemed to think I had some sort of hero complex, but I definitely had no interest in carrying out a heroic last stand. I like living, and being alive. Especially since the necromancer we were up against would probably try to animate my corpse after I died.

Starlight scowled at me. “Good, because abandoning the commune would pretty much ruin most of the ponies here. Everything they have is on this island, and without it most of them would probably end up being indentured servants.”

I grunted and nodded. “Which is why we only do that if the alternative is everyone dying. Poor is better than dead.” Or undead, considering we were up against a necromancer who would need to replenish his ranks after the fighting.

Starlight’s eyes flicked back to the freshly walled village. “Can't say I feel particularly good about leaving our backup plan to the greedy merc.”

Strumming huffed softly. “Well if you’re going to be talking that way about my boyfriend, I'm not sharing my chips with you.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes. “No badmouthing one of our buddies. Let’s just focus on winning so it doesn’t become—”

Strumming planted a hoof over my mouth, cutting off the rest of my sentence. Considering her hoof was covered in farm dirt, I wasn’t especially happy about that. “Hush.” One of her ears twitched to the side. “Heard something.”

Starlight and I didn’t argue the point, staying quiet and listening. After several seconds I made out the sounds of rustling in the distance, though that could’ve just been the wind. Then I spotted a brief flicker of green light.

“That's them alright, ”Starlight whispered.

While I normally wouldn’t want to follow Starlight’s lead, she did have far more experience in dealing with these particular nasties. I nodded and dropped my voice as low as I could. “Remember the plan: hit them hard enough to convince them we’re serious about it, then a fighting retreat to the sorghum field. Then we make our move.”

“Right,” Starlight grumbled under her breath. “The part of the plan where I convince them all to come after me, and hope you’re in time to save my butt. How did I let you talk me into serving as bait again?”

“I have a very trustworthy face,” I deadpanned. “And at least you’ll have me and Strumming backing you up for first stage of the plan.”

“That makes me feel sooo much better.” She took a deep breath, then started slowly trotting towards the flickering green lights, which were slowly getting closer and more numerous.

Strumming and I followed along behind her. As we walked, the pegasus slipped over to my side and whispered. “You know, if I was Puzzle, I would suggest that now might be a good time to eliminate a potential future problem.”

I might not have her completely figured out, but even I knew that suggestion was far more Strumming than Puzzle. Especially in light of what she’d done with the bokor earlier. I frowned and shook my head. “We might regret not having her around if things get too rough. She's got brute force and passable skill, and everything we’ve seen so far indicates this necromancer is bad news.” I shot a rather pointed glare Strumming’s way and added, “And as far as I know she’s not a warlock, so don’t get any ideas.”

Strumming held up her hooves in surrender, hovering off the ground. “Okay, okay, gotcha. No happy-fun-murder-time for her. Sheesh, you give me no joy...”

I scoffed and ignored her. Pushing her would just lead to more deflections and weird whimsical comments, and now really wasn’t the time for this conversation anyway. Not with dozens of gleaming metallic zombies slowly shambling towards us, eldritch green fire shining out of their mouths, eyes, and exposed ribs.

Starlight took the lead, lashing out with one of her completely unsophisticated blasts of pure kinetic force. It got the job done, albeit rather crudely, as it tore one of the approaching zombies to pieces.

Well, time to show her how an actual magus does things. Fire was out for the moment—we were outside of the area I’d prepared, but it still might spread to the rest of commune’s crops or accidently set off my trap early. Why risk having a freak accident ruin all my hard work?

Thankfully, unlike a certain dropout from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns who only used brute force spells, I had range. I opened up with a thin sheet of ice that cleanly bisected one of the oncoming zombies, then went outside my usual element with some electromagnetism. It took a lot more effort and concentration than my usual repertoire, but the results were worth it.

It started with a trio of zombies slowly leaning closer to each other. Once I’d confirmed that the spell would actually work, I upped the charge. That sent the two zombies flying through the air to collide with the one I’d magnetized, turning all three into one huge tangled cluster of limbs. Starlight surprised me by actually recognizing the opportunity I’d created, and blasting all three of them to pieces with her next attack.

Unfortunately, there were more where those three came from. A lot more. There were dozens of eerie green lights advancing towards us, and those were just the ones we could see. Starlight shot a nervous look my way. “That’s a lot more than we’ve seen before. I think we need to start falling back now.”

Considering the numbers, I was inclined to agree. There was a fine line between drawing them into the trap and letting them swarm all over us. If we let ourselves get cut off and surrounded, the plan would go out the window to the point that we’d be lucky to make it out alive. “Yeah, fall back. Not too quick, or whoever’s the brains behind these guys might get suspicious. We need to make it look like we’re actually trying.” I suited action to words by bisecting another zombie with a concentrated light blast. Starlight flinched just a little bit, since that was the same spell I’d used to put a hole through her horn when we’d fought.

Strumming threw out several darts, only to let out a frustrated grumble when none of them accomplished anything. “Blarg, it’s hard to get one of my darts through those steel skulls. Managed to get one of them through the eye socket, but otherwise...”

“Forget it,” Starlight snapped, lashing out with another kinetic blast. “We have this, you just watch our backs.”

Strumming shot off a cheeky salute. “Can do!” She spread her wings and took off. A couple seconds later she called down. “Move your butts! They’re trying to flank you!”

She certainly didn’t need to tell me twice. Starlight and I both fast-trotted back towards the field we’d set up, alternating with one of us pulling back while the other fired off a couple spells to keep the horde from closing in on us too quickly. Pretty soon we were back amongst the dried out sorghum stalks. They weren’t quite as dry as I would’ve liked, but considering the time limit I’d done a pretty good job.

We quickly fell back to the middle of the field, watching as the zombies slowly converged on our position. My eyes flicked back to Starlight. “Well, looks like part one of our plan worked. You ready for us to do something completely crazy?”

“I’m still not convinced that this is a good idea,” Starlight grumbled.

“Too late to back out now!” I grinned madly from the sheer adrenaline rush of what I was about to do. “Good luck!” I teleported away, leaving her all on her own to face the horde of zombies slowly closing the circle around her.

Starlight played her part to perfection, lashing out several more kinetic blasts. “Hey! You all looking for me?! Well here I am!” As the zombies closed in too thick for her blasts to do any good, she hastily threw up a shield spell to protect herself.

I looked up, and confirmed that Strumming had already started her part of the plan. A single pegasus couldn’t whip up nearly as much of a windstorm as I would’ve liked, but it’s not like I had a full team of weather ponies at my disposal. And even if I did, they’d probably stand out too much and give away what I was planning.

“I hope this works...” I closed my eyes and unleashed the fire.

The dried out sorghum field provided ample fuel, especially since I’d also scattered all the scrap wood and any other flammable trash through it. With the wind Strumming was whipping up to power the flames forward, it didn’t take long for the fire to escalate far beyond anything even I could hope to control.

The entire field lit up painfully bright, and got brighter and brighter for a few seconds as everything caught and flared at once, the shockwave of hot air hitting me like a gust in the middle of a thunderstorm. The zombies were just a jumble of dots in the great menagerie, and didn’t really stand out until the initial blaze died down. Unlike sapient beings, who would (vainly) try to stop, drop, and roll or else run for water when they felt themselves ignite, the undead horde kept trotting towards us until they collapsed on themselves like so many sticks of incense in a fireplace.

The fire burned so hot that it used its fuel pretty quickly, and before long the flames started dying down. Starlight’s shield dome was still in place, but I couldn’t see any zombies around it. Or much of anything, beyond fire, ash, and smoke.

I signalled Strumming, and she stopped stirring up the wind and grabbed a couple rain clouds we’d left on standby. She gave them a quick kick, and they started pouring down over the blasted remnants of the crop field. The fire wasn’t burning hot enough to be a threat to the zombies anymore, and there was no sense letting it spread and do more damage to the commune’s crops.

Once the fires died down to the point where I didn’t feel like I was standing next to an open oven, I allowed myself a little cautious optimism. “I think we're clear for the moment. You can drop the shield, Starlight.”

The dome slowly faded away, revealing a sweat-soaked and haggard-looking Starlight Glimmer. She warily looked around, her eyes resting on the half-melted, twisted remnant of the zombies that had surrounded her shield. “Looks like we got them.”

“Most of them, at least.” If the necromancer we were up against had half a brain, they would’ve kept some back as a reserve, not to mention there were probably a few stragglers. Still, we’d put a big dent in the enemy forces, and the bad guy would probably play it cautious for a bit to make sure we didn’t have any more nasty surprises. Which, unfortunately, we didn’t. “We’ve used up our ace in the hole, so I sure hope it was worth it.”

“We'll find out soon enough,” Starlight grunted out. “And if you made me go through that for nothing, we’re going to have a conversation you won’t enjoy. Assuming we’re in any condition to have a conversation about anything.”

“Yeah, all things considered if my biggest problem is listening to you whine about how hot it was inside your shield bubble, I’m gonna count this as a win.” I rather doubted thing were going to be that easy. It couldn’t be as simple as leading the zombies into a nice big fire pit, then burning them all to bits with a single spell.

We trudged through rain, making our way back towards the village proper. It was a pretty long walk, since a certain equality-obsessed unicorn insisted I burn the far field instead of something a bit closer. It didn’t help that now everything smelled like burned, wet zombie. Unsurprisingly, that was the sort of smell that made me glad I hadn’t had anything to eat since the stew Equal had given me for lunch.

We’d almost made it back to safety when we heard something come shrieking through the air. I whirled to face whatever was coming for us. A multicolored blur shot through the night sky, passing over our heads.

Starlight blinked in shock. “What in the world is—”

The blur slammed into the earth in front of us, cutting off our route to the wall. Now that it had stopped moving, I could finally get a good look at what we were dealing with: the dust settled to reveal a shining silver skeleton that had just enough strips of shriveled flesh attached to it to set my stomach turning. The few blue scraps of coat were mostly hidden by the tattered remains of some make of armor I didn’t recognize, and gleaming metal wings flared out its back, looking a bit like somepony had glued a set of chicken wings to a pony’s skeleton—though the joints at the shoulders showed that this … thing, whatever it was, used to be a pegasus. Fuchsia pinpricks glared back and forth between both of us through the vestiges of a prismatic mane. The revenant turned to my temporary ally, her eyes narrowing as a raspy growl echoed out of her shriveled throat. “You're gonna die, Starlight Glimmer.”

Starlight glowered at the beast, planting her hooves defiantly. “Sorry, I don’t have time to die tonight. I'm too busy.”

The revenant rushed forward with a snarl. I hurled a fireball at it, but the monster easily rolled to the side to dodge my attack, closing in on Starlight. She fared a bit better, quickly reestablishing her dome shield to hold the revenant off. The monster’s hooves slammed into the barrier with a sound like somepony dragging their hooves down a chalkboard, making me wince and throwing off my aim for my next attack.

With the revenant’s forward momentum gone lost for the moment, Starlight dropped her shield with a triumphant grin. “Hah! Dodge this!”

Starlight fired off a kinetic blast at point blank range. For a moment I was sure it would hit, until the revenant somehow managed to make a perfect ninety degree turn and accelerate away far faster than should’ve been physically possible. After the attack shot by the revenant, it paused for a moment, and while the shrivelled lips made it hard to tell, I could swear the thing was grinning cockily. “Okay. What else you got?”

The thing rushed forward again before Starlight could get her shield back up, slamming into her and wrapping its forelegs around her. Then its metallic wings began pumping furiously, hauling both of them up into the air.

With an extra pony weighing it down the creature was slow enough that I should be able to land a hit. The problem was that with her hanging onto Starlight there was no way to be sure I’d only hit the revenant. While Starlight wasn’t my favorite pony in the world, I didn’t hate her enough to be okay with turning her into collateral damage.

Starlight yelped out in shock as the revenant hauled her skywards. She squirmed and struggled against the revenant’s unnatural strength, and while she couldn’t get herself free, she did manage to line her horn up with the thing’s face. Then she did something more than a little insane, unleashing a point-blank kinetic blast.

The revenant had been ridiculously fast, but even it couldn’t dodge a shot from that close, it lost its grip on Starlight, spiralling away through the air.

That just left Starlight with the slight problem of being way too high up in the air. If I’d been up in the air I could’ve conjured up some ice wings, but as far as I knew Starlight didn’t have any spells like that. For all her raw power, I hadn’t seen much in the way of magical range from her; just shields, kinetic blasts, and basic spells like telekinesis.

Starlight’s horn lit up, and a second later she started glowing. It didn’t stop her from falling, but it did reduce her momentum a bit. I threw together a quick ice ramp to try and help her out. That should let her bleed off enough momentum so that she wouldn’t turn into a pony-shaped pancake when she reached the ground.

By the time Starlight arrived more-or-less intact on the ground, the revenant was coming for another pass. Starlight’s blast had ripped most of the skin off its face, leaving nothing but a grinning metal skull. Nasty as the injury looked, it didn’t seem to have slowed the monster down at all. “You’re going down, Starlight!”

“Oh, buzz off already!” Starlight shouted up at the creature. Next thing I knew she was tearing my ice ramp to pieces, setting the chunks of ice whirling around her in an improvised shield. As the revenant closed in on her she fired off a blast, shattering the block of ice into thousands of razor-sharp shards and hurtling them towards the monster.

It was a good idea, but the undead pegasus was just too quick. It must have been using its undead anatomy to its advantage, because no living pony could make such sharp turns without blacking out from the g-forces involved. Undead don’t really need to worry about things like cerebral hypoxia, considering their blood usually doesn’t flow at all.

The revenant shot through Starlight’s defenses with another couple quick turns, closing in on her. “You killed my friends!” the monster roared. “They’re all gone because of you!” It slammed a hoof right between Starlight’s eyes, and the unicorn collapsed bonelessly to the ground.

The revenant's momentum carried it past Starlight, but it quickly swung around for another pass. I quickly jumped in before it could finish her off, conjuring up a dome of ice over the downed mare. The monster whirled to face me, glaring with a mix of fury and incredulity. “Hey! You stay outta this!”

It came charging towards me, but I was ready for it. I threw up a huge sheet of fire around myself, leaving no way for the revenant to get through unscathed.

What I didn’t expect was for the revenant to just come charging straight through the wall of fire I’d set up. Once again, I hadn’t accounted for just how fast the thing was. The revenant’s mane and tail burned away and several patches of it’s withered skin melted, but it got through without any major structural damage. It lowered a shoulder and slammed right into my armored chest, bowling me over onto my back.

I tried to get back up, only to feel its hooves grab my shoulders and force me back down. The revenant glared at me, its fuschia eyes shining with eldritch light. “I said stay outta my way! You’re not Starlight, but if you get between her and me I’ll make you pay.”

I was about to try teleporting away to buy some space and time when the revenant just let me go and flew away. I suppose it shouldn’t have surprised me as much as it did: revenants were usually out for revenge against a specific target. Considering the way the revenant kept going on about how Starlight had killed her friends, it wasn’t hard to guess who the target was. Since I wasn’t on the target list, it pretty much didn’t care about me.

Well, that at least confirmed what I’d suspected: Starlight was the target. Or at the very least, whoever was controlling all these undead had cut a deal with this revenant that had a grudge against Starlight. I definitely wanted to know more about how Starlight had supposedly killed the revenant’s friends, since Puzzle hadn’t mentioned Starlight going on a killing spree. Unfortunately, the revenge-crazed undead monster probably wouldn’t be willing to stop fighting and explain its reasons.

This did prompt my inner Puzzle Piece to point out a couple facts. If the revenant was that focused on Starlight, it probably wouldn’t care about what I did as long as I didn’t interfere with its goal. I could easily get back behind the town walls and support the rest of the defenders. Yeah, that would mean leaving Starlight all on her own, but ... well it’s not like I had any compelling reason to put my life on the line to protect her. For all I knew, the revenant might have a completely legitimate reason to want her dead. Maybe Starlight really had killed it and all its friends, and it was out for righteous revenge.

On the other hoof, that was a pretty big ‘maybe’. If Puzzle really was keeping a close eye on Starlight, there was no way he’d miss something like her going on a murder spree. Maybe the revenant was just a crazy undead monster with an irrational fixation on Starlight. It’s not like a necromancer putting together an army of undead minions would have any qualms about lying to a revenant to secure its loyalty.

Bottom line, I wasn’t going to throw Starlight to a bunch of creepy undead monsters. Not unless I got something a lot more convincing than one revenant doing a little insane ranting. Though I probably should time my next move carefully—if the revenant was willing to ignore me so long as I wasn’t a threat to its goal, then I should use that to make sure that my next move counted. No sense wasting time and energy throwing out more fireballs that almost certainly wouldn’t hit considering how fast that thing could dodge.

I shook my head and got my mind back in the game. Starlight was blasting away at the revenant, which was easily dodging her attacks. I was a little surprised the creature wasn’t pressing the offensive, but maybe it wanted to let her wear herself out for a bit. After all, undead don’t get tired like living ponies.

After several more failed attacks, Starlight screamed in frustration. “Okay, that’s it! I’ve had bucking enough of you!” She threw another shield over herself, then grunted with effort as her horn started blazing. After a couple seconds one of the nearby houses let out a groan of protest, then slowly ripped itself apart, the chunks of debris flying over to circle around Starlight in deadly whirling shield. She grinned savagely, speeding up the debris so that not even the revenant’s unnatural speed would be enough to get through. “Bring it!”

The revenant scoffed. “Consider it brought.” It zipped down at her, but instead of trying to break through the barrier it started circling around her in a prismatic blur. The thing had a lot more wingpower than Strumming, and pretty soon it had whipped up a windstorm that put the one Strumming produced to shame.

Starlight blinked as she realized she was about to be in the center of a tornado and quickly shifted tactics. Instead of keeping the debris around herself, she hurled it all into the tornado, blasting several of the larger chunks to turn them into deadly shrapnel.

Even the revenant’s speed and reflexes weren’t enough to handle that, and a particularly large chunk of log smacked it out of the air. The impact left one of its hind legs bent at an unnatural angle, but considering the thing hadn’t touched the ground once since the fight started I wasn’t going to count that as much of an advantage. Starlight seemed to enjoy her little victory though, laughing mockingly. “What’s the matter, was that too much for you? ‘Cause I can go a little easier on you if you can’t handle it.”

“You’d already be dead if Sunset hadn’t butted in!” the revenant snapped back. I was briefly curious about how it knew my name, but it had probably just heard someone say it during the battle. The creature shot up into the sky, grabbing several of the clouds Strumming had left behind. “Eat this!” It slammed its hooves into the clouds, firing off a pair of lightning bolts.

Starlight still had her shield up to catch the lightning bolts, but she let out a grunt when they hit and I noticed sweat on her brow. I was also willing to bet that she was hurting from the hits the revenant had landed on her, even if she was trying not to show it. She snarled and glared furiously up at the undead pegasus. “I knew you'd chicken out!” With an enraged scream, she hurled the remains of the house up at the revenant, but none of the big, slow-moving chunks even came close to hitting.

I frowned and carefully approached as close as I could without putting myself in danger. “Starlight, I think we need something it can’t dodge.”

“What do you think I've been trying?!” Starlight snapped at me. “I just tossed a house at her! If you’ve got any bright ideas, do something!”

I grunted and nodded, since she had a point. I thought back to the fight with the zombies, and took advantage of the fact that the revenant wasn’t focused on me to pull together another electromagnetism spell. If I could stick its wings together magnetically, the thing would be a lot less dangerous.

That plan ran into a snag pretty quickly—unlike the zombies, the revenant’s metal bits didn’t have any iron or other magnetic metals in them. I guess the necromancer had the resources to buy something a bit fancier for his elite heavy hitter. Probably mithril, considering how fast the thing was moving.

The revenant didn’t even notice my attempt to attack it, staying completely focused on Starlight. Instead it dodged past Starlight’s attempts to swat it out of the sky, pausing between dives to let out a loud yawn. “Face it, you're just too slow.” It stopped toying with her, rushing forward with a metallic shriek from its wings as it zoomed in for the kill.

Starlight eyes flicked down to the ground, and she ripped up a wall of dirt to block the revenant’s attack. The instant I realized what she was doing I knew she’d messed up, and unfortunately the revenant spotted it too. It easily zipped over and around the physical barrier, then slammed into Starlight from behind, sending her flying back into the very wall she’d built. I heard something crack when she hit, and Starlight shrieked in pain. The revenant chuckled and shook its head. “Wow, lame. Are you even trying, or did you just decide to give up?”

I’d been hoping to hold back until I could land a decisive hit, but that plan was obviously out the window. Instead, I threw another shield over Starlight to buy her a bit of time to recover. As expected, the revenant immediately whirled around to face me again. “I said stay outta this! I swear, you interfere again and I’m gonna give you the same treatment she’s getting. Got it?” The undead shot up into the air, gathering up more lightning clouds.

Starlight groaned and struggled back to her hooves, wincing when she put weight on one of her forelegs. I dropped the shield I’d been holding over her to hopefully keep myself off the revenant’s list, and she quickly replaced it with one of her own. Sweat was pouring down her face, and she was keeping her wounded leg up in the air. “So, if you’ve got any brilliant plans, I’m all ears.”

I did have one plan, but I was pretty sure she wouldn’t like it. “You know how you managed to land a solid hit when she grabbed you?”

Starlight grunted and nodded. “Yeah, because she couldn't dodge at that range.”

“Exactly,” I agreed. “She's too fast to hold off at long range; she’ll have enough time to dodge whatever you throw her way. But if you can get her point blank again...”

Starlight grimaced. “Easier said than done.”

I didn’t quite agree with her on that point, considering the revenant seemed to like getting in close to hit her. “You'll probably have to let her get close enough to land a couple hits,” I conceded. Considering how hard the monster could hit that wasn’t the best plan, but it’s not like what Starlight had been doing so far was working all that well. Trading punches with the revenant might be her best option, especially since Starlight could hit pretty hard.

Before we could put that plan into action, the revenant zipped across all the clouds it had gathered, unleashing a torrent of lightning bolts that came crashing down on Starlight. I quickly jumped into the air and grabbed some wooden debris to land on; I did not want to have my hooves in the rainwater from Strumming’s clouds when all that lightning hit.

Starlight’s shield held up against the assault, but I could see it buckling and crackling under the pressure. As the acrid stench of ozone hung in the air, Starlight sighed and nodded to me. “Right, your plan sucks, but I guess I’m going to have to give it a try.” She glared up defiantly at the revenant and shouted as loud as she could. “Come on! Is that all you got?! Just gonna sit back and let the clouds do all the hard work for you? Fight me like a mare, face-to-face!”

“Fine!” The revenant bellowed out, barreling down towards her at a speed that probably would’ve made any living pegasus black out. As she closed in Starlight tried to grab the incoming creature with her telekinesis. The spell was doomed to fail—using telekinesis against an unwilling pony never works due to our natural magical resistance—but it did break the momentum of her charge for a critical second. Not enough to stop her, but enough to ensure that she didn’t hit Starlight with bone-shattering force.

Instead, the revenant decided to repeat the same move it had used at the opening of the fight, grabbing her and hauling her skyward. This time, instead of trying to break loose Starlight grabbed onto the creature with her good leg. The revenant snorted when it realized what she was doing. “Guess you're tired of living, murderer.”

“First off, I really don’t know what you’re talking about, ‘cause I haven’t killed anyone,” Starlight replied. Then she grinned, lighting up her horn. “And second, there's a method to my madness.” She leveled her horn at the revenant’s chest.

With its face blasted away I couldn’t have seen any expression on the undead creature, but I definitely heard the panic in its voice. “Oh, horseapples!” It reversed course, dive-bombing towards the ground at maximum speed.

Whatever its plan was, it didn’t pull it off in time. Starlight unleashed her kinetic blast right into the revenant’s chest, ripping it to pieces. The point-blank blast sent her flying back, and this time I didn’t see her horn lighting up to try and stop her fall. I threw together another ice ramp to catch her, but this time she was falling a lot faster and wasn’t helping me out. When she hit the ground, it was hard enough to make me wince. She didn’t get back up.

I rushed over, throwing a basic diagnostic spell her way. I was a long way from an expert in medical magic, but I knew enough to do basic first aid. The spell at least confirmed that she’d survived, though the list of abrasions, contusions, cracked or broken bones, and other miscellaneous injuries was long enough to tell me she had a long hospital stay to look forward to. Assuming shock or some other complication from her numerous injuries didn’t kill her before we got her to a hospital.

I was still checking her injuries when I felt it. Some sixth sense I must have acquired during all the battles I’d been in since moving to Freeport made my muscles tense up, and a second later I saw the flicker of green light approaching. This wasn’t another one of the zombies, though.

For starters, it was big. Celestia-sized, maybe even bigger. The comparison to Celestia was pretty apt, because the thing had both a horn and a huge set of membranous wings with exposed metal where the bones would normally be. Its ribcage was completely open, showing a mass of eldritch green light where the organs ought to be, and its face was a similarly exposed skull with green fire pouring out of its eye sockets and mouth. I couldn’t tell if it was wearing armor, or if the metal was all part of its skeletal structure.

I squared my shoulders and turned to face what could only be the necromancer behind the undead army. “I am Magus Sunset Shimmer. In the name of Freeport and Council, you are under arrest for necromancy, attempted murder, and a whole bunch of other crimes.”

The necromancer chuckled, its jaw bobbing up and down. “Is that so? Well, in that case introductions are in order: I am Magus Rising Fire of Equestria’s Sombra Resistance Army. In the name of a murdered world and millions of innocents annihilated by her actions, I am placing Starlight Glimmer under arrest.”

Author's Note:

Want some more Freeport? Check out Ponibius' new story, Freeport Venture: Trust Issues.

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aaron Kevin Meighen
Aidan Hall
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
Christopher A Cope
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jack
Jade Walters
James Miller
Jessica T
Justin Emery
Karl Bragisen
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Stephen
Steven Ilten
Sweet Gale
Trinary
waritah
Zennyth