• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 1,120 Views, 9 Comments

Aftermath - Nerdz



Aftermath: something that results or follows from an event, especially one of a disastrous or unfortunate nature.

  • ...
1
 9
 1,120

Daughter of The Moon

“Mrs. Sparkle?” The dark Alicorn poked her head in the slightly open doorway, “You wanted to see me?” Her turquoise eyes landed on a lavender mare sitting at a desk on the far side of the bright and homey office. The older Alicorn smiled warmly as she rose from her seat.

“Princess Nyx! Come in,” she beckoned, “And please, I’m only ‘Miss Sparkle’ in the classroom.”

The filly winced as she stepped fully into the room, closing the door behind her. “Please don’t call me that.” she chuckled nervously as she crossed the room to her teacher. “I’ve only just gotten it through my head that I’m not Nightmare’s daughter; I haven’t even begun to process who my…” her voice trailed away and she shuffled her hooves uncomfortably. “My uh,” she cleared her throat, “relations...to Princess Luna, I haven’t processed that yet.” she whispered.

The lavender mare nodded sympathetically. “I understand.” Her gentle smile faded slightly. “That’s actually what I wanted to speak to you about.” She turned towards the seat she’d previously taken and lowered herself onto the chair. “Please, sit.” she waved a hoof at the seat on the opposite side of the desk, motioning for the filly to follow her lead.

Nyx lowered into the chair, shifting slightly to get comfortable. A familiar feeling of dread rose in her chest. Her heart fluttered rapidly. The normally friendly walls now towered over her like a cage.

Twilight cleared her throat sharply, breaking the filly from her thoughts. “Nyx,” she began slowly, “do you...believe that Luna is to you what she claims to be?”

The dark filly blinked. “Well, I, uh, I don’t really know.” she began, her eyes slowly drifting down to stare at her hooves. “I mean, it’s impossible right? Yeah, maybe she wasn’t dead for the past millennium, sure, I could believe that, but she sure wasn’t here. And she wasn’t on the Island. Not to mention the fact that I look exactly like Nightmare Moon! So how could she be my...you know.” she sighed heavily, raising her gaze bet refused to meet her teacher’s eyes. “But then again, well, you were there. You saw her reaction to me. It could just be one of Nightmare’s tricks, but I know Nightmare. She wasn’t that good of an actor.” Nyx took a deep breath. She raised her head, finally meeting Twilight’s eyes. “I don’t know what to think. What to believe.”

The older Alicorn nodded. She took a deep breath, taking a moment to gather her thoughts. “I can understand that. It’s...a lot to take in, and you seem to be doing just that fairly well on your own. However, don’t be afraid to talk to somepony if it’s too much. You have a number of great friends, and my door is always open.”

Nyx smiled. “I know. I’m okay, really.” she shifted again, tensing her muscles to rise. “Is that all you wanted?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, there’s...one more thing.”

The filly relaxed back into her seat. “What is it?”

“As you know, Princess Luna returned to the Castle of The Two Sisters with Princess Celestia following Will’s Coronation.”

“That’s the castle in the Everfree Forest, right? The one they grew up in?”

Twilight smiled. “I see you pay attention in History. Anyway, Celestia had the palace repaired and moved there after the initial Guardianship Ceremony, and she felt that Luna would be able to readjust better in her fillyhood home rather than somewhere here in Canterlot.”

‘More like she didn’t want her sister near a pony who looks like her ‘old friend’.’ Nyx thought.

“And, as she couldn’t really recall anything that had happened to her for the past thousand years, Celestia insisted that she see a doctor for a full physical and mental evaluation.” Twilight paused. She flared her horn and used her magic to open a drawer in the desk. She pulled out a file and set it on the surface of the desk and laid a hoof on it. “She agreed, and they found something...interesting,” She nervously drew circles on the file with the tip of her hoof, “which is the main thing I wanted to talk to you about.”

The feeling of dread deepened. “What happened? I-is she okay?” the teen’s voice shook.

Twilight bit her lip, carefully choosing her words. "She's alright, in a sense. What was found is rather strange, to say the least," she gave a shrug and opened the file, sliding the papers within toward's the fily as she summed up what was written on each page, "Honestly, there isn't even a full explaination. See this here?" she tapped a paper that showed an image of a brain, "This brain scan shows evidence of severe psycological trauma."

"Wha-"

Twilight held up a hoof, cutting off the girl's question. "They wouldn't tell me, but the Princesses did seem to have some idea of what it was."

Nyx nodded, then motioned for the older mare to continue.

"Whatever happened, it happened when Luna was very young. To cope with her trauma, she came up with what began as an imaginary friend. Nightmare Moon.

"But Nightmare isn't imaginary," Nyx protested, then muttered darkly "I know better than anyone just how real she is."

"That's the part we're having trouble explaining. The current theory is that as Luna continued to struggle with whatever it was that left such a psycological scar, she began seeing this imaginary friend more and more, and as she grew and her magic became more developed, she somehow brough Nightmare Moon to life."

The teen sat back, dumbfounded. "That's not possible, no magic is that powerful."

Twilight shrugged. "To be completely honest, we can't even begin to comprehend the boundaries of Alicorn magic. Anyway, here's the really interesting part," she tapped another paper, "When someone is banish to the Island, we get a DNA sample for identification purposes. We took a sample from Luna to compare, and as you can see, they are completely different. Two different entities, existing in the same body."

She looked up at Nyx and gave her a sheepish look. "We don't have samples of anyone born on the Island, so we haven't been able to confirm anything in regards to your parentage yet. But if you'd like, we can find out for sure."

***

“Hello? Equestria to Nyx?” said filly blinked rapidly, eyes focusing on the yellow hoof waving in front of her face. She was no longer in the headmistress’s office, but in an office all the same. This one was decorated more suited for royal workings, rather than school functionality. She leaned away from the flailing hoof and turned her attention on the concerned reddish-orange eyes staring into hers.

“I’m sorry, what were you saying?” she gently pushed the hoof away.

The colt laid a hoof on the girl’s shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Nyx sighed, rubbing her face with her hoof. “Yeah. Yeah, I just,” she paused, “I can’t stop thinking about last week.” She felt two strong hooves wrap around her torso, pulling her into a hug, which she gratefully returned.

“I can’t even to begin to imagine what you’re going through right now. It’s something straight out of a fantasy novel.”

The filly hummed quietly in response, nuzzling her muzzle into the colt’s short ebony mane and taking in the slightly minty smell of his shampoo. She pulled back with a gentle smile and a quiet sigh. The colt returned the smile, but his eyes begged her to speak what was troubling her. Smile fading slightly, she complied.

“I did the test, you know that already. I got the results back today."

Will raised his eyebrows, encouraging the filly to continue.

"My DNA mostly matches Luna's, with a few trace's of Nightmare's. The doctors explained that that was likely due to their shared magic. But this means that Luna is my real mother."

The filly’s knees shook as the weight of the discovery finally sunk in. Even when the mare herself claimed to her face that she was her mother, the logical side of her mind screamed at her not to believe the words.

“Hey, I have some time before Hoofball practice. Want to go get something to eat?” Will’s words brought Nyx out of her shaken state. “I’ve been so busy lately, I hardly get to see you anymore.” She leaned her head on his shoulder, and he wrapped his wyvern-like wing around her in a show of comfort.

“I wish I could, believe me. I’ve missed hanging out with you.” her smile faded. “But I can’t today. I’m meeting Princess Luna at some cafe in town for brunch. She wanted to get to know me.” The filly shuddered and snuggled closer into the embrace.

Will nodded understandingly. “I see. I could probably skip practice, if you want some moral support.” he offered.

“No, no, you’ve missed it enough lately. Price of being King.” she joked with a half smile, “I’ll be okay.

“You sure? I don’t mind. I swear Coach Armor is trying to kill us, scheduling practice on a teacher's in-service day!”

“I’m sure. I appreciate the offer, though. But this is something I really need to do on my own.”

“I understand.” Will smiled softly, drawing small circles on Nyx’s shoulder with the tip of his hoof.

“ Besides, we have this weekend, and then fall break is next week. A full nine days for us to hang out.”

“Have you thought about what you’re going to say?”

“Kinda…” she took a deep breath, “I want to ask what she remembers of the Island, see if she remembers any of my foalhood. Mo-Nightmare never really told me anything. I want ask her side of the story, of her disappearance. I know Nightmare’s side, and I know the story told in history books, but I want to know what happened to her. Also…” she paused, gathering her thoughts, “I-I want to ask her if she knows who my dad is…”

Will furrowed his brow as he hugged the filly. “Do you have any idea who he might be?”

Nyx snorted sarcastically. “Just that Nightmare used to say that I got my weakness from him.”

“You’re not weak.”

“I know that.” the girl pulled away to look at the colt. “It’s just something she used to say.”

The two sat in silence for awhile, enjoying eachother’s company.

“What time is it?” Nyx asked a few moments later.

The colt glanced at the clock on his desk. “Eleven o’clock.”

The filly groaned. “I have to go. I’m supposed to meet her at eleven-thirty.”

“Okay.” the colt raised his wing so the filly could move to gather her things. After she’d done that, he walked her to the door, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

“I love you.” she smiled, leaning into the gesture.

“I love you too.” Will responded, “Tell me how it goes, okay?”

“Of course. Is after dinner okay with you?”

“I have a few papers to fill out, but yeah, that sounds good.”

“Okay.” Nyx smiled as she turned to leave. “See you then!”

***

Nyx fought the urge to duck her head as she walked. Everywhere she looked, somepony was staring. The logical part of her mind assured her that it was because of the battle at Will’s coronation a month prior, or even because she was the marefriend of the king of the Center Region; that alone would cause a turning head or two. The skeptical, more fearful part of her mind, however, wanted to cover her dragon-like eyes, all too aware of how similar she looked to a certain mare. Sure, by this point, everypony knew what had happened with Princess Luna’s return, whether it be from witnessing the event or reading about it in the papers the next day, but there surely were a few ponies who remained skeptical. She sure was.

She shook off the thoughts, focusing instead on figuring out where this stupid cafe even is. She was already late as it is.

The filly flared her magic and pulled out her cellphone, quickly unlocking it and scrolling through her notes app. She tapped at the screen with the tip of her hoof, clicking on the tab that held the address of the cafe she was supposed to meet Luna at. Reminded of the location, she opened her settings app and turned on her location, then went to her map app and put in the address. Moments later, she was following the digital directions to the cafe. Ah, technology certainly was a wonderful thing.

Around ten minutes of walking later, she stopped in front of a charming little building and slipped her phone back into the pocket of her leather jacket. The Paso Fino Cafe. This was it. Steeling herself with a deep breath, she opened the door and stepped inside.

Nyx was surprised to see how empty the place was at first, just a few tables taken here and there, before she remembered that while she was off school, it was still before noon on a Friday.

“Table for one?” her eyes landed on the short mare standing by the door. She wore a tight smile and her eyes reflected boredom.

“No, ma’am.” she replied politely, eyes scanning the surprisingly spacious room, “I’m meeting somepony. They should be here already…” her gaze landed on a table in the far corner. “Ah, there they are!” she tried to fake enthusiasm.

The mare followed her gaze. “Right. Go on, then. Somepony will be by to take your drink order momentarily.”

Nyx nodded her thanks before making her way over to the table.

The lone patron at the table looked up at the sound of approaching hoofsteps. She smiled hopefully and stood up. She reached out to hug the filly, her smile falling when Nyx instinctively flinched away from the contact. She forced the smile back and gestured for the young Alicorn to sit.

Nyx ran her hoof absently over the surface of the table, eyes roaming the room. Luna cleared her throat, as if to speak, but instead remained quiet. They sat in tense silence, neither knowing what to say. A waitress came by eventually, delivering Luna’s tea, a menu for Nyx, and to take the filly’s drink order.

Nyx sighed as the waitress moved away and ran a hoof through her mane. “I’m sorry. This is...really awkward.”

Luna chuckled lightly. “I expected as much. I have much to tell you, and yet I cannot seem to find words to say.”

The dark filly gave a small smile. “You look...different. Since the Coronation, I mean.”

She wasn’t wrong. The mare’s coat had darkened, she seemed taller, and her mane had lengthened, darkened, and had transformed into a flowing aura of star-filled magic. A month ago, she’d looked barely nineteen years old. Now, she held the appearance of a mare in her late twenties, maybe early thirties.

The older Alicorn ran a hoof through her mystic mane. “Yes, it seems that I have.” she replied, “My sister tells me it is the doing of the Elements. When I returned, my magic was drained to that of a mare barely entering adulthood, and my appearance reflected such. My powers have built back up in the time since we have last seen each other, and my appearance is as such better suiting an Alicorn of my age.”

Nyx nodded in response. She shuffled uncomfortably in her seat.

“Do you...are you aware of my…”

“Yeah,” the filly nodded, “Yeah, yeah Princess Twilight explained it to me. A-are you okay?”

“Of course.” Luna gave a small smile, “As well as I can be, that is. My memory, however, is vague. I can remember up until a certain point in my time as a young mare. That, I suppose, is when Moon took the reins, so to speak.”

Nyx hummed in response. The conversation halted momentarily as the waitress returned with the filly’s soda and left with the mares’ food orders. The filly placed her lips around the straw and took a long sip.

“So, you are the new Element of Magic. That is exciting.” Luna mused. A reminiscent look crossed her face. “I wielded Honesty, Loyalty, and Laughter in my younger days. The rest fell to Tia. You certainly take after your aunt in that regard.”

The younger Alicorn’s eyes widened and she pulled away from her drink with a slight cough.

“Sorry,” she said in response to the mare’s questioning gaze, “I grew up hearing stories about how terrible Celestia was; it’s going to take some time to get used to the idea of her being my aunt.”

Luna’s face gained a solemn look. “Yes, I suppose that would be my doing-”

“Not yours. Nightmare’s.”

“Nightmare...I still cannot believe she took such a name. My memories show a kind filly who saw the best in the world, the best in everypony.”

“Ponies change.” Nyx said quietly, “I was raised to hate all that’s good, and look at me now. I chose good. Moon chose to become Nightmare.”

Luna sighed, shaking her head. “Listen to us; talking as if she is real.”

“She is, kinda. I mean, she has DNA, wants, memories.” the filly paused, “...She talked about you a lot.”

“Did she?” the mare asked, surprised.

“Yeah.” a small smile graced the filly’s lips, “When I was little, she’d tell me about how you guys played together all the time, the adventures you’d have in the castle gardens.” her face fell then, her voice getting quieter. “She really missed you. I know that probably means nothing now, because you know about...well, you know, but she really cared about you.You were her best friend, and all she wanted was for ponies to remember you, not as the ‘assasined princess’, but as the Princess of the Night.

“I grew up hearing stories of how you’d painstakingly place every star in the sky, taking care to make it bright and beautiful, leaving certain stars in certain places so ponies could find their way at night. About how you’d create beautiful pictures and how she’d stare up at the sky for hours picking out each of them. About who much it hurt you for ponies to go inside at night and miss the sky you put so much work into, and all she wanted was for everypony to see that, for them to understand. She really missed you.”

Luna cleared her throat quietly. She raised a hoof to wipe at her eyes. She cleared her throat again, steadying her voice. “We have talked about me the whole time. I want to get to know you. Tell me about yourself. What sort of hobbies do you pursue?”

“Well, I’ve started baking recently.” Nyx replied, deciding to leave out how she started, “That’s pretty fun I guess. Oh, and I picked up painting back on the Island. I’m pretty good, I think, and Will got me signed up for the school’s art club, so I’m hoping I can learn something from that.”

“Will, he would be the colt you’re courting?” Luna asked, a slightly teasing look dancing in her eyes

The filly’s cheeks grew warm, and she squirmed under the older mare’s gaze. “Yeah, yeah, he’s my coltfriend.”

The mare gave a motherly smile. “Tell me about him. Is he good to you?”

The dark Alicorn smiled fondly. “He’s great, honestly. Probably the sweetest pony I’ve ever met. He’s the one who brought me and my friends over here from the Isle. He saved us. He saved me.”

“He sounds wonderful.” the mare replied with a grin.

Nyx licked her lips. “Look, I know you wanted to talk about me, but I need to know your story; I need to know what happened.”

“I’m sorry...I don’t quite understand what you mean.”

“Nightmare told stories of a filly who was robbed of her happiness, my history textbook says you were killed by a rogue assassin, and Sunrise says that Princess Celestia said you were murdered by a mare she always thought was an imaginary friend you never grew out of. I know every account except yours. I need to know. I deserve to know.”

The mare slumped in her seat. “Yes...yes, I suppose you do.” she took in a deep breath to steady herself. She tapped her hoof against the table thoughtfully, trying to figure out where to start her story.

***

A gloom fell over the garden. A cold wind brushed through the bare trees, the claw-like limbs seeming to scratch and tear at the grey sky. Smaller plants were scattered around in a groomed manner, dead and brittle as the trees, their blooms snuffed out by the chill. A fountain sat at the center, it’s water supply cut off, a feature saved for a warmer season. Statues stood stoically; great creatures, war heros, and past leaders forever watching over the garden. Snow drifted silently to the thick white fluff that blanketed the ground.

A pastel blue filly sat alone halfway down stone staircase. Her mane, an even paler blue, shielded her face, her tail was tucked tightly to her hip. She shivered harshly. The thin white nightgown she wore did little to protect her from the cold. She sniffled.

“Why are you crying?”

The voice made the filly jump. She jerked her head up, her eyes landing on a foal standing at the bottom step. She studied the newcomer. Coat as dark as night, long purple hair the shade of a nebula that flowed around their shoulders. The foal wore a simple dark blue dress, confirming that it was indeed a filly, as if the feminine voice wasn’t enough. She stepped closer.

“Why are you crying?” she repeated.

The blue filly sniffled again. She rubbed at her eyes with her hoof, wiping away her tears.

“Who are you?” she asked.

The new filly smiled warmly as she continued to climb the steps. “My name is Moon. But you still haven’t answered my question.” she stopped at the steps just below the pale filly. She sat down to look the filly in the eyes. “Why are you sad?”

“It’s my mommy and daddy.” the filly began quietly, “Some ponies in the village were getting sick, and they went to help a few weeks ago. Then they got sick, and they haven’t come out of their room for days. Nopony would let me go see them. I snuck out of bed and into their room a while ago. It was strange...I called out to them but they didn’t answer me, and they were staring at the ceiling. I kept talking to them, but they still didn’t answer, and they wouldn’t blink.

“Then ‘Tia, she’s my big sister, she came looking for me. She was scolding me for being out past my bedtime, and for going into mommy and daddy’s room when I wasn’t supposed to, and then she looked at them and stopped talking. She was quiet for a bit and then she ran to the door and started shouting. A bunch of ponies ran in and crowded around the bed. They were all shouting and crying and I ran out here. Then I sat down and I started crying and then you came.”

The filly sniffled again. “‘Tia told me a bunch of the sick ponies in the village fell asleep and wouldn’t wake up. I think that’s what happened to mommy and daddy. I don’t think they’re going to wake up.”

Moon placed her hoof against the pale filly’s. “I’m sorry.” she said quietly. She flared her horn and used her magic to clear away the filly’s tears.

The pale girl’s eyes widened in shock, and a small smile crept onto her face. “I can do magic too!” she flared her own horn and sent a small bolt of magic to swirl around the falling snow.

The darker filly grinned, happy that the girl was smiling. Something fluttered at her sides.

“And you have wings like me too!” the pale filly spread her own tiny wings. “I’ve never met anypony with wings and magic before! Well, other than ‘Tia and mommy and daddy…” the girl’s smile faded.

Moon cocked her head, racking her brain for a way to cheer the filly up. “What’s your name?” she asked.

“Luna.”

“I like that name.” Moon smiled, “It’s pretty.”

“Thank you.” Luna paused, “I like your eyes.”

Moon ducked her head. “Really? I think they’re scary.”

The eyes in question had bright turquoise irises, with a pale green sclera and, most noticeably, slitted, dragon-like pupils.

“They’re different. I like different.”

Moon smiled brightly, her eyes shining with happiness. “I have to go now. But I’ll come back soon, and we can play!” she promised. She stood up and started down the steps.

“Bye, Luna!” she called over her shoulder, “I’ll see you soon!”

“Bye, Moon!” Luna waved as the filly disappeared into the garden.

“Yer Highness, what are ye doing out here?” the filly turned to see a maid hurrying towards her. The mare wrapped a wing around the filly, leading her towards the door. “For heaven’s sakes, child, come inside! Ye’ll catch yer death of cold!”

Luna followed obediently, pausing only once to look back at where her new friend had vanished before entering the castle.

***

The large mahogany doors burst open from a blast of magic almost comically powerful coming from a pony so small. The filly bypassed the stone stairs in one flying leap, her wings steadying her descent as she glided to the dirt path at the base. She sent a second pulse of magic out to shut the doors. She took off at a dead sprint the moment her hooves touched ground, not giving a second thought about how the dust she kicked up would coat her shiny black shoes and stain the crisply pleated skirt of her grey-blue dress. She didn’t have time to pay attention to such unimportant matters; she was already late as it was.

She rounded a corner and skidded to a stop at a wrought iron gate. Her magic flared again as she wrenched it open. She rushed through and pushed it closed manually, leaning back on it to catch her breath.

“There you are!” a gleeful voice came from the shade beneath a single apple tree at the center of the charming little glade. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming.”

“I’m s-sorry!” the filly by the fence spoke shakily, still slightly out of breath. She trotted towards the tree and blew at a strand of pale blue mane that had fallen from her twin braids. “I got held up, and-”

“I’m only kidding, Luna.” the filly kicked her hooves idly, swaying slightly on the wooden seat of the swing that hung from the tree. “I understand how busy you can get. Besides, judging by how you’re dressed, I’d say you had something important going on.” she smiled teasingly, gesturing at the abnormally formal way the her friend was dressed.

Luna scowled at the darker filly, tugging at the frilly lace collar tied entirely too tight around her throat. “Oh, shove off, Moon.” she muttered, using her hoof to loosen the lace.

Moon climbed out of the swing, moving aside. The skirt of her muted brown feedsack dress swished around her bare heels as she walked behind the swing.

“You first! I went first last time.” Once the paler filly had secured herself on the wooden board, she stood on her hind legs and gave her friend a gentle push. She carried on, patiently waiting on her obviously disgruntled friend to state her mind.

“I was sitting in on the Day Court.” Luna spoke up, relaxed by the gentle rocking motion of the swing. “‘Tia’s idea.” she said in answer to the question Moon had yet to open her mouth to voice.

The dark filly smiled at how well her friend knew her. “That sounds fun.”

“Hardly!” the blue Alicorn gripped the ropes tighter and began pumping her back hooves.

Moon backed off and walked around in front of the swing. She settled in the grass a comfortable distance away. She waited for the other girl to continue.

“Now, don’t get me wrong, I love this kingdom, but those ponies were daft! Complaining about the tiniest problems as if they’d cause the end of days! Like this one stallion, a farmer, bought a bull a last week, and his neighbor is claiming that the bull is his, stolen from him in the night nearly a moon ago, but only started making these claims after finding out what a prestigious lineage the bull descends from, and they felt that this matter would be better taken up in the Day Court, rather than taking it to their town’s judge! Honestly!”

Moon raised an eyebrow. “You’re kidding.”

“No!” Luna cried, laughing slightly, “And that’s tame compared to others!” She kicked the swing higher and higher, leaping from the wooden seat as it reached its peak. She skidding across the grass, scuffing her shoes.

“Luna, be careful.” Moon scolded, “If you ruin your clothes, you’ll get in trouble.”

“So?”

“‘So’, you shouldn’t be so careless, especially with those expensive dresses.”

“You’re one to talk.” Luna waved a hoof at her friend’s dress, which was now covered in grass stains.

Moon stood up and made her way towards the swing. She shook out her wild mop of unruly purple mane as she took her seat.

“A feedsack dress is not the same as a princess’s Court dress.” the dark Alicorn stated simply, eyeing the Lunar Princess as she walked around to the back of the swing. Moments later, she felt two hooves on her back, gently propelling her forward.

“That’s why I sat in on the day court. ‘Tia think’s it’s time I, quote-unquote, ‘begin training for my crown’.”

Moon smirked inwardly, proud of having worked what was bothering her friend out of her.

“It’s not fair!” Luna muttered, “She was twelve before she began her royal studies. I’m barely eight!”

“It’s different now, though.” the dragon-eyed filly took over the swinging motions to allow her friend to take her previous spot on the grass, “Back then, she was learning under your parents’ rule.”

Luna was quiet, idly fiddling with a blade of grass.

Moon pressed on. “She’s only sixteen, and she’s ruling an entire kingdom on her own. I’m sure she wouldn’t rush you if she didn’t truly need your help.”

“...You’re right, I suppose.” the filly flopped back onto the grass, peering up at the clouds.

“I usually am.” the darker filly teased, slowing the swing to a stop and joining at Luna’s side.

The girls laid on their backs, side by side in a comfortable silence broken only by pointing out different shapes in the puffy clouds. Moon glanced at her friend. She twiddled her hooves nervously.

“Hey, Luna?”

“Hmm?”

She licked her lips. “When...when can I meet your sister? Properly, I mean, not just you telling her that a friend says ‘hi’.”

The blue filly frowned. She rubbed at her foreleg. “Listen, Moon, I’ve been thinking, and I really don’t think you meeting ‘Tia is such a good idea.”

“...Oh.” came the quiet reply.

Luna rolled onto her stomach and peered at her friend. “It’s just, ponies really aren’t supposed to be able to get into the castle grounds, and you could get in serious trouble for it. I really don’t want to see you thrown in the dungeon just because I’d introduced you to my sister.”

Moon nodded slowly, her eyes widening a moment later. “Wait!” she cried, rolling onto her stomach, “You’ve told ponies about me already!”

The princess smiled sadly. “Yeah, but I don’t think they know you’re real.”

The dark filly raised a questioning eyebrow.

“Like I said, ponies aren’t supposed to be able to get onto the castle grounds. Not grown-ups, and especially not little dragon-eyed Alicorn fillies.” Luna smirked. “Face it, Moon, you sound like a fairy-tale character. They think you’re imaginary.”

The filly blinked, completely dumbstruck. A small smile broke onto her face. She snorted. “You’re kidding.”

“Nope.” the pale filly giggled, popping the ‘p’.

Both girls rolled onto their backs, gripping their bellies, laughter bubbling away.

Moon sighed, finally calming down minutes later. “I’m really glad you’re my friend, Luna.” she said, smiling.

Luna yawned, the day finally catching up to her, “And I’m glad you’re mine.” her eyes drifted closed, the darker filly following suit after a few moments, head rested on the paler filly’s shoulder.

It was hours later when the blue filly was awoken by a guard, who promptly scolded her for disappearing without letting anypony know where she’d gotten off to. As he moved on to reprimand the state of her dress, she snuck a look at her surroundings, looking for her friend, but Moon had already gone.

***

It was serene, the pale filly decided, watching the moon rising above the trees, seeing the colors fade away to the inky black of night broken only by the trillions of glistening stars. A breeze brushed the fallen bits of her updo from her eyes. She shivered lightly under the cloak her nurse insisted she wear to ‘protect her from the bitter weather’. Even still, she made no move to rise from her seat, eyes glued instead to lunar body making its steady climb in the sky. For even as incredible as it was to watch the night form in wake of the day, nothing could compare to being the one to bring the moon to the sky.

An honor and duty belonging to her and her alone.

A grin spread across her face as the moon reached the point where it could continue its path alone. She rushed to the railing of the balcony, eyes trained on what she could see of the village in the distance, near the edge of the forest. Expecting to see a few ponies watching the moonrise as they did occasionally for her sister’s sunrise in the mornings, her expression fell when he gaze saw nothing but dark, empty streets.

She raised her head indignantly, shaking off the feeling. It was only the first night of many to come, surely somepony would watch her raise the moon at some point.

Movement in the garden below caught the filly’s eye. She leaned over the railing, wings keeping her from falling as she scanned the castle grounds. The smile returned to her face as she picked out a pair of bright dragon-like eyes peering at her from the darkness.

“Moon!” she whisper-yelled to the darker filly, rapidly waving to gain her attention.

With a smile, the other Alicorn took flight, the wings sticking out of the holes crudely cut in her feedsack-dress carrying her swiftly to her friend. The girls embraced. Moon was first to pull away.

“C’mon, let’s see it then!” she said excitedly.

Luna smirked teasingly. “See what, might I ask?”

“Imp!” the darker filly laughed, nudging her friend.

Luna chuckled warmly. She lifted the skirt of her fancy purple gown to reveal the crescent moon on her flank. Her friend nodded approvingly.

“Incredible.” Moon smiled as the blue girl let her skirt fall back into place, “I’m so proud of you.”

The lighter filly beamed at the compliment, the words briefly banishing her previous grievances. She flared her horn, her magic reaching through the open door behind her and pulling two overly large pillows from the massive bed up against the back wall. She set the pillows down side by side, climbing onto one while her friend did the same, sitting facing her. Her magic reached back once again, this time lifting a large fluffy blanket from a puffy sofa in the corner and laying it around their shoulders.

“I would’ve come sooner,” Moon spoke again, “but there were too many ponies around, and I swear there were double the guards today.”

“There were.” Luna replied, “Celestia thought it best to have extra ponies on hoof today.”

“I’d really hoped to have at least a day for us to celebrate together. These ponies sure work fast; you only got your mark last night, didn’t you?”

“Oh please, they’ve been planning this cute-ceañera since my parents died.”

The dark filly leaned forward. “How was the party?” she asked.

Luna rolled her eyes. “Boring. I wish you could have come.”

“You know as well as I do that a twelve-year-old filly showing up unaccompanied by parents would sit well with the guards, let alone a dragon-eyed Alicorn.”

“Still, you would have been better than the dignitaries and envoys. Everything was so formal. I couldn’t have an actual conversation with anypony.”

Moon laughed teasingly. “Glad to know I was wanted.”

Luna snorted at a memory. “Oh, Moon, you should’ve seen this one stallion! He was a prince from Trottingham-”

“Wait,” the dark Alicorn interrupted, “wasn’t he the one who kept sending your sister those really expensive chocolates?”

“Yes, that’s him! Oh, Moon he showed up today and gifted a mute swan to Celestia. You should have seen his face when she rejected him again! He was so red, it was hilarious!”

The girls laughed, Luna at the memory of the angry prince, Moon at how hard Luna was laughing. Luna calmed herself moments later, wiping tears of mirth from her eyes.

“Celestia’s going to have to get creative with unwanted suitors now. Before, her line was ‘I’m far too busy running a kingdom alone to worry about marriage!’. But I’ve gotten my mark and can take my throne now.”

“And take your own suitors.” Moon added, still laughing.

The lunar princess groaned, stuffing her face into her pillow.

“No!” the dark filly was able to decipher the muffled speaking. “Those stallions are insufferable!”

“No matter.” Moon patted her friend’s shoulder, “You’ll have more important things to worry about. Ruling over the night! Are you nervous?”

Luna lifted her head slowly, a frown creasing her features. “I am, actually.” she said slowly, “I’ll be responsible for an entire kingdom, for the lives of everypony in it. I raise and lower the moon, I paint the sky with stars, I bring them their night. I care for them at night, I’ll be able to walk through dreams and ease their fears. I’ll make laws and pass judgements. I’ll be expected to jail criminals and bring justice to the innocent.

“I’m only twelve years old; how can I be ready for this?”

Moon shuffled closer to her friend. She took the lighter girl’s hoof comfortingly. “Celestia was twelve when she took the kingdom, and she’s ruled it alone for eight years. Equestria’s no worse for wear. Besides, you won’t be taking a solo rule, you have Celestia to help you. And you have me. I’ll always be here to build you up and keep you humble.”

The blue filly smiled. “Thank you.” she said quietly.

“Now, tell me more about that prince.”

Luna brightened as she told of other ways the prince had made a fool of himself in his attempts to woo her sister. Laughter filled the air as the girls talked into the late hours of the night.

***

“Luna?” said filly turned her eyes from the book open on her bed to look at the head poking through her doorway, “Are you alright?”

“Of course, sister. Why wouldn’t I be?”

The mare, pale as snow, stepped further into the room. She brushed her flowing mane of pink, blue, and green hues from her eyes as she glanced about the lavish bedroom. “Is somepony else in here? I could’ve sworn I heard you talking to someone...”

The filly’s frown deepened. “No, ‘tis just I. I might’ve been talking back to a character in this novel, I suppose.”

“Oh.” came the reply. The pale mare leaned against the door jam. “What’s happening?” she asked, nodding at the open book.

The younger girl magically flipped the page. “A rather lazy plot device: miscommunication. The protagonist was sent on his quest simply because he misinterpreted something his wife had said.”

“I see…” the mare’s eyes traveled over the filly’s face. “Sister, are you well? You don’t look yourself.”

The teen’s ears were drooping tiredly, there were dark bags under her eyes, and her wings looked almost painfully ruffled, as if she’d not preened them in weeks.

“Celestia, I assure you that I am fine.” Luna spoke sharply, getting slightly agitated.

“Alright then…” the mare let out a deep breath, “Anyways, supper shall be ready shortly.”

The filly’s ears perked slightly. “Will you be joining me in the dining room this evening?” she asked hopefully.

Celestia cleared her throat uncomfortably. “No...no I’ll be taking my supper in my office again. I’ve quite a bit of work to complete before I have to set the sun. Perhaps tomorrow?”

Luna bristled, flipping the page without looking, so sharply that it almost ripped. “Of course.” she seethed. Forcing herself to relax, she followed with, “In that case, I’ll be taking my supper elsewhere as well. In here perhaps, if you would be so kind as to notify the chef when you make your request?”

“Certainly!” the mare said brightly, smiling, completely oblivious to her sister’s lapse in composure. She backed out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Luna turned her eyes back to her book, though her attention was focused on the sound of hoofsteps fading down the hallway. She kept her ears trained on the sound beyond her bedroom door. Several beats passed after the sounds had ceased. She flipped the page.

Her magic flared instantly, grabbing a small throw pillow from the head of the bed and pitching it towards the door that blocked off the large square of space that served as her closet from the rest of the room. The pillow smacked sharply against the dark wood and slumped to the floor with a dull thud. Seconds later, the door creaked open and a face poked warily from behind it.

“Clear?”

“Indeed.”

The door opened fully to reveal a tall, dark young mare in a brown feedsack dress. She kicked the door shut and trotted over towards the bed. She jumped up onto the purple duvet and rolled onto her back next to the lighter filly, the bed springs bouncing lightly under the added weight.

“Well, that was a close shave.” the girl huffed, “Quick thinking, with the book.”

“I thank you.” the pale filly smirked as she levitated the book before her, admiring the faded cover, “I have read it countless times, and I am sure I have talked back to that idiot stallion a time or two.” she frown as she peered at the well-worn spine, “I should have it rebound at some point.” She shrugged, using her magic to return it to the shelf in the corner near the fireplace. She simultaneously lifted a leather-bound journal from the desk on the opposite side of the room, along with an inkwell and a quill with a long, twirled tip.

“No, c’mon Luna, don’t write! Let’s go do something!” the dark filly whined, “I’ve improved that invisibility spell! Let’s get a pail of water, it’s been so long since we’ve pranked the guards!”

“We short-sheeted the beds in the barracks two days ago.” Luna said dryly.

The filly scooted closer, tapping at the paper with her horn. “Two days was forever ago!”

“Come now, Moon, shove off!” Luna laughed, lifting the book and lightly smacking her friend in the face with it. She dropped it unceremoniously on the duvet and lifted the quill to the page. “It will only be a moment, I am planning my star chart. I am certain you kind find a way to entertain yourself in the meantime.”

Moon scowled and rolled off the bed. She moved toward the fireplace, poking idly at the flames with her magic as she peered over the faded titles of books on the shelf. She knew her friend brought books from the library to her personal shelf for easy access, but nothing in this rotation tickled her fancy. She glanced around the room, a medium-sized brown package on the desk catching her eye.

“What’s this?” she asked, her magic leaving the fire to bring the package closer for inspection.

Luna raised her eyes from her work. “Present from a suitor. It arrived this morning.” she muttered, focus returning to the page.

The dark filly tutted teasingly, dodging the pillow thrown annoyingly in her direction. She let her eyes roam over the package.

“Saddle Arabia?” she frowned, “Is this the same colt you rejected three times already?”

“Yes, the one who seems to think ‘no’ means ‘try harder’. Open it if you like.”

Moon huffed in annoyance. Nevertheless, she used her magic to carefully tear open the paper. Her eyes brightened at the contents.

“Ooh…” she let the paper fall away. Her aura held the shimmering pink dress in midair to admire it. “May I?” she asked, gesturing over to the princess’ dressing screen.

Luna glanced up as she copied down her final notes. “Go ahead.” she nodded. She checked over the page one final time, committing it to memory as Moon disappeared behind the screen.

Moon busied herself with pulling off her faded feedsack dress and working out the lace fastenings of the silk gown. She stepped from behind the screen.

Luna smiled and closed the journal. “Well then, give us a turn.” The dark mare complied, twirling in place, the skirts swishing around her heels. The dress fit snugly, and the royal fuchsia color paired surprisingly well with Moon’s black coat. The pale girl’s grin broadened.

“It’s lovely!” Moon breathed, running a hoof over the smooth fabric.

“You can have it.”

The dark mare looked up. “Oh, no, Luna I couldn’t-”

“And why not? It fits as if it were made for you. Those feedsack dresses are far too tight and scratchy.”

“Luna, you’re too generous. I could never accept such an expensive gift. What use have I for such a fine gown? I’m a mere peasant; this is a dress fit for a princess.”

The lighter girl sighed, knowing how stubborn her friend was. However, she was stubborn as well.

“Fine. It will remain here, but it is still your dress. You can wear it here, here where you are not a peasant, but as royal crown princess.” she said with a tone of finality.

“How have I come to gain such a kind friend?” Moon wondered aloud.

Luna gave a tired smile. “Moon, in the twelve years I have known you, you have never proven false in honesty, loyalty, kindness, or generosity. You have proven to be the truest friend I could ever have hoped to have. This gift of a dress is nothing compared to the lifetime of happiness you have given me.”

The dark filly shook her head lightly. “Has it really been twelve years?” Surely it hadn’t been so long since they had met on that snowy night? Surely it had only been yesterday that they were children playing in the garden? Surely they weren’t yet sixteen? But as her eyes trailed over Luna’s frame, she saw the effects of the years. Luna’s coat had darkened from the light color it had once been. Her mane, also darkened, gave an unnatural twitch now and again, signifying the soon it would burst into an aura of magic, befitting the girl’s royal status, as shown by the silver tiara nestled just behind her horn.

Even Moon had not remained untouched by time. She had noticed, not to long ago, dark blue strands amongst her wild purple hair. Nothing much now, but she suspected she’d be sporting a new look in a few years, as Alicorns had a growth rate that differed from average ponies.

But no matter the years they’d faced, she knew, they were still the same fillies beneath it all. The same Luna. The same Moon.

And,’ she thought to herself, ‘I pray it remains that way.

***

“I…I don’t understand.” the mare blinked in disbelief.

Her friend sighed, slumping against the couch. She ran a dark blue hoof through her ethereal mane. “I know that it is a lot to take in, but you are the only one I could ask this of.”

“Why me?”

‘Anypony else would say that I’m mad.”

“You are mad.” the dragon-eyed mare snapped. She stood up from her seat and moved in front of the crackling fireplace, refusing to look at the other mare, who sighed once again.

“Moon, you have no idea how I wish I could-”

“What you ask,” Moon cut her off, “is unspeakable. It’s appalling! It’s, it’s…”

“A death wish.” the blue mare finished bluntly.

The dark mare bit her lip, raising her head, eyes burning with emotion. Her head dropped back down. “...Why?”

“I assure you this is no spur of the moment decision. I have thought this through for a long time.”

“How long?”

“Three years, at least.” the girl whispered, eyes down.

There was a sharp intake of breath. “Luna, you’re only nineteen years old, you’re practically immortal, you have so much to live for, so much to do-”

“Like what?!” Moon jumped at the harshness of her friend’s tone, “Tell me, Moon, what exactly do I have to live for?!”

The dark Alicorn turned back to the blue mare. “You raise the moon and stars, for one.”

“Celestia can do that. She did it for eight years before I could, I’m sure she can manage.”

“Oh, for heaven’s sake, Luna, you’re a princess! These ponies need you!”

“I know what I am.” Luna said, her voice softening, “I rule over a kingdom of ponies who rely on the sun and practically worship the mare who brings it to them. I rule a kingdom of ponies who barely know I exist. Face it, Moon. If I could fade from the world, nothing would change. I’d be a painting of a past monarch, a smudge in the history books.” she offered a sad smile, “Nopony here needs me.”

The dark mare closed her eyes, tears spilling underneath. Her breathing wavered with emotion.

“I need you, Luna. You’re my best friend.” she choked out.

“I know,” the other girl whispered, her own voice cracking, “that is why I need you to do this for me.”

She stood up and crossed the room to the crying mare. Moon threw herself at her friend, openly sobbing now. She buried her face in the blue mare’s neck, tears staining the girl’s white nightgown.

“As long as I am here, I shall be nothing more than the Lunar Heir.” Luna pulled away from the hug, one of the other mare’s hooves gripped tightly in her own. The other hoof reached up to wipe away the whimpering girl’s tears. “But if you let me go, I can finally be Luna again.”

Silence enveloped the mares, broken only by the crackling fire and the darker girl’s occasional whimpers as she tried to find her voice. Luna remained still, holding her friend’s hoof, face emotionless, eyes shining with tears. Moon’s eyes were glued to the floor.

“What do I need to do?” the dark made whispered hoarsely.

The blue Alicorn swallowed thickly as she flared her horn to pick up the book lying closed on her desk, flipping to a certain page as she brought it coser. “As you said, I am practically immortal. I have managed to locate a spell that I believe will be strong enough to work, but as an Alicorn, I am immune to my own magic, so I cannot perform it myself. This spell requires immense magical abilities, thus, as an Alicorn yourself, and as the pony I am closest to, you are the only one I could entrust with this task.” she finished in a whisper.

Moon took the opened spell book in her own magic. She stared at the page, studying the spell.

“You can keep the book, if you like.” Luna said quietly “You can have anything of mine that you want; I leave everything I own to you.”

The dark mare nodded, eyes still on the page, trying to prolong the inevitable. She felt a hoof touch her chin, lifting it so her eyes met her friend’s.

“It is okay.” Luna assured her, “It will happen quickly, I promise.”

“Alright. I'll do it.” Moon wiped at her eyes as the other girl stepped backwards.

“I thank you, my friend.”

Moon licked at her dry lips. She looked at the book one final time before setting on the floor. Her magic extended to the other mare, her blue aura turning a sickly green as she began the spell.

Luna closed her eyes as the magic enveloped her. Searing pain shot through her horn, quickly spreading throughout her body. She clenched her tongue between her teeth, fighting the urge to scream, less Moon stop the spell. The pain soon passed, leaving behind a calming sensation. Her vision began to fade. The magic receded, the spell over. She was gone.

***

Luna’s eyes jerked open and a cry escaped her lips as pain ripped through her body. She groaned in agony, her eyes scanning her surroundings. As far as she could tell, she was in a bedroom, though not her own. The room was tiny, barely the size her foalhood closet had been. A chill ran up the mare’s spine, making her aware of the lack of a fireplace.The walls were made of grey stone, freezing cold to the touch. There were no wall sconces, not even a candle. The only light in the room came from the moon shining through a lonely window near the bed on which she laid. Decoration was minimal; the walls were filthy and bare, a wooden chair rested in the corner, a dresser was pressed against the far wall, a rug took up the center of the floor, and the bed sat opposite the rotting wooden door. A door!

The mare gathered her legs and tried to move to the edge of the bed. Another wave of pain hit, earning a strained whinny. The pains seemed to be getting stronger, and the last one lasted longer than the one prior to it.

Luna reached a hoof to the head of the bed and pulled a grimy pillow to her chest. She hesitated only a moment before biting down hard on the corner, deciding that, in that moment, anything she might catch from the filth was outweighed by risk of being heard. Waiting on the next wave of pain, the mare racked her brain, trying to piece together some recollection of what had brought her to this room, yet all she could recall was her request to Moon.

Another pain, this one worse than any of the previous, forcing tears of agony into her eyes. Who could have possibly captured her that had the power to place such a torture charm on her? The burning stitch worsened, drawing out, making the mare scream around the pillow, the sound muffled by the fabric. Then all at once, it ended. Her heart stopped as a shrill cry pierced the silence of the room. Very slowly, her wide-eyed gaze moved to the foot of the bed.

The foal was a tiny thing, coat black as night, hair the purple of a nebula. A horn protruded from her forehead, tiny wings fluttered helplessly at her side. Luna stared at the wriggling child in shock, unsure of what to do. It was filthy.

So clean it.’ instinct told her.

She turned her attention to the right side of the bed. On the floor, just within hoof’s reach, was a metal basin half-full of water. Next to it, a frayed rag, a cloth diaper, and a towel, stained yellow with age, were folded in a neat stack. A rather clean-looking pair of scissors and a few pins sat atop the stack. Her hoof touched the water. It was still warm.

She tried to flick her magic to life, and was thoroughly confused to find her magic wasn’t working. She could still feel the small weight of her horn on her forehead, so it hadn’t been removed, at least. Had a charm been placed on her, stunting her magic? Or had it been drained from her? She could worry about that later.

She reached a hoof out to grasp the rag and dipped it into the water. After it was soaked, she lifted it and wrung out the excess water. She took the scissors in hoof. She fumbled with them for a moment before severing the connection between her and the foal. Taking the crying child, a filly, in the crook of her foreleg, she used the opposite hoof to clean the foal, the warm rag soothing it to silence.

Once she was finished with washing and drying the child with the towel, Luna set the rag on the floor and set about diapering the foal. She was inexperienced, but after a few blunders, she managed to get the foal wrapped up. Instinct kicked in once again, and she moved the foal to her breast.

“Greedy little tyke.” she chuckled as the filly nursed hungrily. The mare stared at the child, head tilted thoughtfully. “You will need a name, will you not?”

The foal ignored her. Luna turned her head to a window on the wall to her right. She could smell saltwater. Was she near the ocean? Perhaps on an Island? It was dark outside, too dark to make out any surrounding landmarks. All she could see was the moon glowing brightly above, the stars twinkling in the sky. Such a gorgeous night.

“That is it, then.” she decided after a while, turning her attention back to the foal, “I shall name you for the night you were born under. I shall call you Nyx.”

The filly looked up at that. Her eyes were squinted so that Luna could barely see the turquoise color of her eyes. She stared at her mother for a few moments before cooing quietly and going back to eating.

“Like that, dear?” Luna whispered, gently stroking the tufts of purple mane, “You look so much like somepony I knew once. She’d be your godmother, did you know that?”

Her voice trailed away. She curled protectively around the hungry filly as she again tried to figure out where she was, the memories she’d lost. She raised her hoof and set it against the base of her horn. No ring, she wasn’t married.

“Is that it, then?” she wondered, “It must be. The spell did not work. I became with foal who could not be an heir as I am not married. I’ve run away, taken up a peasant’s life to protect my daughter.”

The foal let out a whine. She reached her tiny hooves towards the mare, whimpering.

A warm smile spread across the older Alicorn’s face. She reached her forehooves out and gently picked up the filly, shushing her as she cradled the filly to her chest. “Tired, are you, pet?”

You are my Moonbeam, my darling Moonbeam.

You bring me joy when the sky is dark.

You’ll never know, child, how much I love you.

I’ll never let them tear us apart.

The lullaby swiftly carried the foal to sleep. Luna blinked, her vision beginning to fade. She leaned back, assuming she too was falling asleep.

‘Maybe the spell did work’ she thought, suddenly, ‘It worked, and this is my heaven.’

***

“I can only assume that is when Moon took control once again.” Luna said quietly, staring at her empty plate, “The next time I awakened was the coronation a month ago.”

Nyx looked away as she wiped at her eyes. “I...I don’t know what to say.”

“It is funny,” Luna laughed bitterly, “the connection Moon and I share. We both called you ‘Nyx’.”

“Nightmare always said I was named after her. ‘Nyx Mare Moon’. She wanted me to be just like her.”

“I have read since my return of what Nightmare has done. You are nothing like that mare, but your alikeness to Moon is startling.”

Nyx furrowed her brow. “What do you mean?”

Luna’s face hardened. “Despite that they are the same mare, your Nightmare is not the same as my Moon. The filly I knew in my youth was the kindest, most generous pony I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Moon was a filly the world knew not of, a filly consumed by grief over a mare lost to despair. Nightmare was the monster that remained.”

The filly looked down. “I wish I could’ve known Moon. She sounds awesome.”

“There is so much I wish had happened differently.” Luna sighed, ears back, “I wish you had been born in my time, I wish I had been married to your father, whoever he is, I wish I could’ve raised you, given you the family and life you deserve, instead of leaving you with that despicable creature!”

“None of that was your fault.” Nyx said defiantly. “You weren’t in control of your mind. You were hurt and needed time to heal.”

“I know.” The mare smiled sadly, “But in any case, I have a lot to make up for, if you’ll let me.”

The filly nodded. “Of course.”

“Perhaps, you would like to spend your break with me?”

“I’d love to,” Nyx said slowly, “but I was actually planning on staying at school with Will.” the filly blushed lightly, “Actually, he’s already made arrangements to stay behind with me instead of going home.”

Luna smiled. “I see. Well, in any case, we can meet again sometime, here or somewhere else.”

“I’d like that.”

***

“Wow.” Will breathed after his marefriend finished her story.

“I know, right?” the filly finished off the last bit of her daisy sandwich.

“I mean, I’ve heard stories about Nightmare Moon my whole life; I can’t imagine her being anything other than a villain!”

“Same here, and I was raised by the mare.”

Will chuckled as he gazed at the filly. His smile faded. “I’m sorry you couldn’t find out anything about your dad.”

“It’s fine.” Nyx sighed, “I don’t really know what I was expecting. It doesn’t matter, really. Knowing won’t change anything.”

It does matter.’ Will wanted to say, ‘It’s always important to know where you come from.

“Anyway, how was hoofball practice?”

“Tiring.” the colt groaned, “Coach had us doing drills all day, and we spent the last few hours of practice in the weightroom. I don’t even understand why, it’s not like we have a game this week!”

The Alicorn chuckled. “I suppose that’s why you went through four sandwiches?” she said teasingly.

“Hey, athletes eat a lot!” Will huffed in mock irritation.

Nyx laughed, about to retort when the clock on her coltfriend’s desk caught her eye. “Oh, is it really already eight-forty?”

The colt sighed. “I guess that means you have to go, huh?”

“Yeah.”

Will stood up, helping the girl gather her things and walking her into the hall. The filly turned around. She leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the corner of his mouth.

“See you tomorrow?” she asked.

Will nodded. He watched her walk down the corridor and disappear through the door to the campus grounds.

“King Will?” The colt turned his attention to the mare behind him. He recognised her as one of the security guards in charge of the hall his office was located in.

“Yes?”

“My shift’s about to end. Just wanted to see if you needed anything before I go.”

“The Island files, remind which ones I have access to.” he said before he could stop himself. The mare looked mildly surprised.

“You won’t have access to everything on the project ‘till you complete your education, but you do have access to the profiles of each of the convicts.”

Will nodded. “I need somepony to bring me files on every stallion banished there between the Island’s establishment and April fifteenth sixteen years ago, and I need those ASAP.” The colt looked back at the door his marefriend had disappeared through moments before. “There’s somepony I need to find.”

***

Nyx slipped into her dorm, eyes closed tiredly as she shut the door and leaned back against it. “You have no idea what kind of day I’ve ha-”

A sniffling sound cut her off. Her eyes jerked open. Across the room, she saw her roommate sitting against the head of her bed. She was curled up, knees against her chest, hair hanging in a limp curtain around her, tears spilling down her face. The blue filly looked up.

“I did it.” she whispered.

“Lady…” Nyx breathed. She dropped her bag, crossing the room in a few shaky steps. She climbed on the bed and wrapped her forelegs and wings around the disguised Changeling in a tight hug. The girl buried her face in her roommate’s chest, sobbing uncontrollably. Nyx pressed her face into her friend’s hair, her own tears emerging.

“It’ll be okay.” she whispered.

Author's Note:

And so the first chapter has been done. Welcome, to those of you just now finding this storyline, and welcome back to those from the first story. This has been a long time coming, and I'm glad to finally have it out.

Big thank you to Stellar Blaze For agreeing to come back as my editor!

Sorry for the weird formatting, there's a few bugs with the new googledoc plugin. Edit: Fixed!

Don't ask me when the second one will be, I don't know.

The only thing I own is Will, Lady, and the storyline.

I love comments! They cure writers block!

Edit-4/4/2019:
It has come to my attention that in this story I have written something insensitive. Initially, I had written that the connection between Nightmare Moon and Luna was the result of something similar to Disassociative Identity Disorder. This was wrong of me to do.

Since the original publication of this chapter, I've learned and grown as a person as well as a writer, and in doing so, I've learned just how harmful it is to write a villain created by Disassociative Identity Disorder, as it demonizes a very real, and largely non-violent, non-dangerous mental disorder.

I've debated for a while on how to remedy my mistake. Removing all mention of it would be as bad as pretending that I never had such prejudices in the first place, but I want to make the story more reader-firendly, along with changing it for continuity reasons as I correct myself later on.

My solution is this: I've re-written the scene in which the idea of Disassociative Identity Disorder is introduced, but will be leaving the offending paragraphs below to show what prejudice and misinformation can create.

I apologize to anyone I may have hurt, and I promise to do better in the future.

***

The feeling of dread deepened. “What happened? I-is she okay?” the teen’s voice shook.

Twilight bit her lip, carefully choosing her words. She didn’t answer the question, at least not directly. “Have you ever heard of Dissociative Identity Disorder?”

Nyx cocked her head, confusion written across her features. “No, no, what is that?”

The older mare opened the file with the hoof that had been previously tracing over it. Her magic flared and flipped through the papers, passing them to Nyx to look at as she spoke in summary of what was on each page. “Dissociative Identity Disorder, more commonly known as multiple or split personality disorder, is a condition usually the result of a traumatic experience, which acts as a way to help a pony avoid bad memories. A new pony is developed, or in some cases ponies, with a unique and distinct personality, name, history, characteristics, both internal and physical, and can even be another gender. Typically this new pony is mentally stronger than the “original”, meant to take over when things become too much for them. In some cases, the personalities aren’t even aware the other or others exist.” she paused, passing a final paper to the teen. “It’s...what Princess Luna has been diagnosed with.”

The young Alicorn sat shell-shocked, trying to absorb the information lain before her.

“It’s treatable.” the mare said gently, rising in her seat and leaning across the desk to lay a comforting hoof on the girl’s shoulder. “However, that’s it. There’s no way it can be cured.”