• Published 19th Oct 2016
  • 2,232 Views, 61 Comments

Battleship of Equestria - MorgothII



A displaced and under-manned crew aboard a recently captured battleship arrives on the shores of Ponyville. In unknown lands, a new threat is rising. War is coming...

  • ...
5
 61
 2,232

New Friends and Dates

Battleship of Equestria Chapter Eleven: New Friends and Dates

May 10th, 1942 1:11 AM

Celestia Sea…

In the darkened waters of the Celestia Sea a small, dark object cuts through the water, leaving a small island that had been called home for the past few months, its half-full tanks just enough to get it to one of the far northern ports of Equestria. As there is a slight gale, the nearly entire crew of the vessel is inside, save for a few serving as the night watch. At the stern flies a flag with a red hammer and sickle set in a mostly white square with a small light blue strip at the bottom.

"Comrade Captain Rushenkov, are you sure you are willing to do this?" A nervous earth pony asks, standing by his post at the helm. The tan pegasus known as Ivan Rushenkov nods while straightening his cap for his uniform. "Yes comrade. While I wish we could continue to have stayed at our island paradise, we have finally received American codes. As allies we must help as Comrade Stalin would decree. In addition, it is not the worker's way to back down from a challenge, nor the Russian way. Thus, we shall try to provide any and all assistance."

10:00 AM

Los Pegasus…

(Jacob's POV)

I yawn as I stretch in the bed I have been provided in the hotel suite given to us. My crew, along with Princess Celestia, Princess Cadence, and Princess Twilight, had practically ordered me to take a two-day break, despite my (albeit feeble) protests. Luna also played a significant part in why I had agreed to this. The same people who insisted on my vacation had done the same to the midnight-blue alicorn. I still wonder if, or maybe it is better said as how much, Cadence had played a role in this as the pink alicorn is both the ruler of the northern Crystal Empire and the princess of love. Better keep an eye on her, just in case.

At that moment I sense movement in the bed. I turn and grin. "Good morning, my love. Sleep well?" Luna returns the smile as she gets out of bed and trots to the dresser across from us. "I did indeed Jacob," The princess of the night says as she uses her magic to place her crown and armor she wore in times of peace. I also get out of bed and start to put on my freshly cleaned uniform. 'I got to remember to tip the staff,' I muse to myself, noting the lack of bloodstains from the fighting that had occurred Friday just outside the city limits. Despite that, Los Pegasus is full of life, a stark contrast to the situation across the rest of Equestria.

"So have you any plans for today Luna?" I ask my girlfriend, err mare-friend. Luna nods, staring at me with a loving gaze. "Indeed I have. I am thinking about touring the city and seeing the sights today. Then this evening, we shall dine at one of the most popular restaurants in this city. After that…" Luna trails of seductively. I grin. My love has quickly learned how to tease with me. I trot up to her and quickly peck her on the lips. "Sounds like the makings of a wonderful day. I'm ready when you are," I say, both of us fully dressed.

A few minutes later and we exit the hotel, ready to explore the city who shares the iconic large white letters as Los Angles. Of course, back home the letters spell Hollywood. Here they spell Applewood. The parallels between America and Equestria truly are peculiar. Something to explore after the war, I hope.

10:15 AM

Unknown to the couple, six pairs of eyes watch their every movement, though thankfully with no malicious intent. In fact, it is quite the opposite. The tallest shifts uncomfortably. "I don't know how you lured me off my command, even if Froster agreed," Private First Class, now Lance Corporal, Billy Franklin of the USS Fuso Marine contingent says quietly. "Aw, come on Billy! Don't ya wanta make sure Jacob and Luna have a peaceful day?" Applebloom, the ringleader of the group of misfits known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders says. "Plus, if anypony asks, we're just showing one of our brave allies around the city," The pink earth pony filly known as Diamond Tiara, one-time bully of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and now good friends with said trio, along with Diamond's foalhood friend Silver Spoon, who adjusts her glasses. "Plus it will be fun!" Scootaloo says, the orange pegasus filly trying not to focus on her adopted older sister's recent change in emotions. "Come on guys! If we wait any longer we're going to lose them!" Rarity's younger sister Sweetie Belle says as their targets move on with their date.

As Billy watches his young charges start to trot off, the American Marine hailing from North Carolina sighs, adjusting his civilian clothes that the entire ship had been issued after the evacuation of Ponyville. 'I wonder how the captain will react if we get caught? Last I heard, those fillies are still due from a dress-down from him for sneaking aboard Friday. Oh boy,' The American thinks to himself.

That evening…

(Jacob's POV)

I wait in the hotel lobby for my sweetheart to finish getting ready for dinner. I don't know why she wants to, but who am I to argue with a princess? Especially when said princess was also my lover. Then again, I'm not one to talk. After all, I'm practically living in my uniform. Speaking of which, maybe I should ask Rarity if she could make a set of clothes for formal occasions. After all, I have come to believe that the Element of Generosity is also the best fashion designer in both Equestria and back home. Even if the white unicorn can be a tad bit melodramatic.

There it is again! The same damn feeling of being watched! I swear that we were being followed the whole day. But every time I look around, I fail to identify the person (or pony) doing so. Maybe I'm simply imagining things or over-reacting? Yeah, it might just be a side effect of being in one too many naval gun fights. 'Relax,' I once again chide myself.

"Sorry for the wait, but I wanted to ensure that this evening was memorable," A sweet voice says. I turn back to the stairwell. When I see the pony standing there, my eyes widen and my jaws drops, all thoughts leaving my mind, save for one. "Wow."

Luna giggles at my expression, along with quite a few other stallions as well. The midnight-blue alicorn had put on a dress. Around her upper body it is black, with the skirt being white. It is simple but breathtaking. The mare trots towards me in a regal manner. I finally manage to close my jaws and coughs slightly as I straighten up. "Like what you see?" Luna says slyly. I nod. "Indeed. Though to be honest, you would look amazing in virtually anything my dear Luna," I reply. Again I am graced with the sweet sound of her laughter. "Flattery gets you nowhere, Captain Jacob," Luna replies. "But dinner might. Come on, I'm starving!"

With a mock shake of her head, my princess of the night loops her hoof through mine. Together we step outside and I hail a taxi. Once we get inside I give the directions to the restaurant to the two ponies hauling the cab and off we go.

The rest of the evening passes by very quickly. We eat, laugh, and tell stories of each other's past. When we finally arrive back at the hotel, we kiss each other goodnight before crawling into bed, exhausted from the day's joyous activities of sightseeing.

The hotel across the street…

"Can we please go to bed now?" A bedraggled Billy pleads at the five young fillies. Diamond Tiara pouts. "Are you sure, sir?" The pink earth pony asks him, Silver Spoon and Sweetie Belle also pouting. Thankfully for the Marine, Applebloom and Scootaloo take his side. This time. "Ah don't know about you, but Ah'm plain old tuckered out! Ah second Billy's motion!" RD's younger sister also nods. "It is getting late. We should try to catch a train or boat back to Canterlot in the morning."

Diamond reluctantly nods in agreement. "I guess we all are tired. Well, I think we can all agree that our mission here today was a success!" Billy groans mentally. 'Sure it was a success in that we did nothing significant but almost getting caught on several occasions. It was interesting to see this side of the captain. The boys are going to love this. Can't wait to see them soon,' Billy thinks to himself as he and the fillies get ready for bed, needing to get up fairly early in the morning to head out. Froster may have given them leave for this, but it seemed prudent to not push their luck any more than they already have this day.

May 11th 12:00 PM

Baltimare Naval Yard…

"OI! EASY WITH THAT TURRET! ONE WORNG MOVE AND A LOT OF PEOPLE AND PONIES ARE GOING TO BE SQUISHED!" Lieutenant Junior Grade Froster calls out from the stern. Several dozen of the east coast's most powerful unicorns had gathered to assist in removing the massive wreck that Turret No. 5 of the battleship USS Fuso once she had arrived yesterday evening. Thankfully for her reduced and tired crew, it had been an uneventful journey, stopping briefly in Canterlot to drop off the wounded and the former Ponyville residents who had joined the crew after being rescued by Jacob and his men. Now the former Japanese warship is docked in the first large-scale dry dock designed solely for her in Equestria. Work had begun immediately. Jacob had told his loyal executive officer to ensure that the breach in the hull was sealed and the torpedo bulge that had minimized the damage to also be repaired. That would be completed by the end of the month, allowing the super-dreadnought to respond to any emergency.

Of course, it will be with both a reduced crew and guns. The starboard broadside in particular will be smaller for another two weeks. The roof of Turret No. 3 will be fixed tomorrow; returning the number of main guns to ten instead of eight, but it will take the first week of June, possibly the second as well, to add the newly-made and still-being-tested turret to replace the one destroyed. And of course train a crew. Thankfully, Froster's friend and fellow officer Fuji has already started training new recruits (Mostly those of Ponyville who have not even a family to return to in Canterlot, but with a fair amount of members of the newly-formed Royal Equestrian Navy) in how to operate. Of course, both the American and the Japanese officers are nervous about how the newly-designed 14-inch guns that were never manufactured before in Equestria will fair. To speed up the repair process, the guns and turret will be tested this month instead of next month.

Suddenly Froster pauses in his train of thought. 'The only other ship in our navy that is capable of producing smoke and is not under construction is Baltimare. But she's with the rest of the fleet in the Los Pegasus port!' Alarm flashes in his mind of a possible attack, despite the fact that the Celestia Sea is completely free of any Carolean warships. The rearmost turret of the damaged giant is able to fire in the direction of the growing cloud of smoke, and a small speck on the horizon. It's not another armored cruiser, thankfully. "Fuji, get the gun crew of Turret No. 6 ready! Unknown ship is bearing down towards us. I'm not sure if it is hostile or not, but I am not going to allow this ship to be attacked without firing a single shot!"

Then Ensign David Mann, the ship's chief radio man, gallops towards the acting-captain. "Sir, the ship is transmitting! It says it is friendly, and it does have the proper answer codes we gave the Russians," He informs the stunned American. Snatching the binoculars around his neck, Froster strains his eyes at the rapidly approaching ship. True enough, the banner of the Soviet Navy flutters proudly at the stern of the destroyer claiming to be friendly. Lowering his binoculars, Froster makes a quick decision. He turns to the earth pony.

"Contact both Canterlot and Captain Jacob. Tell him we need him here pronto, preferably using that neat teleportation magic. As for the Russian, tell him he will stay within sight of us and anchor about a thousand yards from us. Any hint of hostile intentions and we will blow him sky high. He is to stay there until our commanding officer arrives and determines if he is truly friend…or foe."