• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 764 Views, 7 Comments

TCB: A Time for Change - Avatar Sprite



A conversion bureau opens up in Scotland. Like many things in Scotland, it doesn't exactly go like normal places do.

  • ...
14
 7
 764

Chapter 1: Old and new Beginnings

The main construction seemed to have happened overnight.

The closed down medical center in the half-abandoned old town center had gone, replaced with the shiny front of a conversion bureau.
The door was closed, with the lock shining a standard WorldGoverment, baleful red, indicating that it wasn’t open yet, the infoscreen above stating proudly that the new Aberdeen conversion bureau will be open tomorrow, and that unfortunately due to scheduling issues, anyone due to go to the Edinburgh conversion bureau should still go there, rather then waiting for this one to open.
Faint sounds of construction could be heard from inside still, an unusual if not unheard of occurrence in this day and age; The bubble had changed that, as it did so many things. The over populated cities still remained on the edge of ruin, but here and there, new structures were made, old ones re-purposed, as the Earth geared up and prepared for one thing … Change.

John made a note of this, as he started home. The favela was not a comfortable place, or safe, or anywhere anyone would want to live really, but it was home. John had, through hard work in finding, and defending, gained a burned out old apartment which he lived in. It wasn’t much; but it was safe, not well known, and a lot more space then he used to have, and thanks to some jurry-rigging and the light outside, power, at night anyway.

“I’m home” He called out, chucking the bag of food from the market into the kitchen, “Vegetables for us, ready meals for me”.
Out of the other door, came a light beige pony, his leaf-green mane hanging in front of his eyes slightly. “Did you get any carrots John?“ He asked peering into the bags excitedly, prompting eye-rolls from his friend.

“You know you used to hate those things, right?” John smiled “But yes, Light, I did get you the carrots.”
Light Winds jumped up at this, hugging against John softly but John stepped back embarrassed for a second, before letting the Pegasus pony do so.

“I know, but they are just SO good now! Seriously, spicy but sweet, like that food you managed to grab once off that old dude for fixing his ride.”

“Those crunchy meat-ball things? I still almost believe him when he said they were old style food.” John grinned, but then shook his head “But then I guess meat-balls are off the menu anyway, even if we could get a hold of them.”

Light just looked down with a light shudder at the thought, before nodding. “Sorry John” The newly herbivorous Light Winds replied. “They just smell of death ..”

“Don’t worry about it, we gotta eat what we gotta eat, right?” came the quick reassuring reply. John soon busied himself, putting the various foodstuff’s away in the kitchen.


“Janet was not at her stall today. Do you think she, you know, ‘went pony’?” John did air quotes as he sat down.

“Well, her daughter did get caught by those PER people” Light Winds replied distractedly.

“Terrorists you mean…” John corrected gently. “They may not be as bad as the HLF, but in some ways they are worse.”

“The Human Liberation Front are the terrorists, they kill ponies and people, The PER just … prematurely ponify them.”

“And what about the ones who dont want to be ponified, The so called Ponificaton for Earth’s Rebirth are just a cult that doesn't care about people’s rights.” John snorted.

“I wouldn’t go that far, at least they try their hardest not to get anyone killed,“ Light frowned “But still, your right, they are not exactly good either.“

John looked around in annoyance “Look at us, we cant go five minutes without arguing with each other now, God!” Getting back up from where he had just settled himself down as Light winced at the outburst “We cant play the new Call of Duty because it involves hurting people, we can’t watch movies, because suddenly action movies are too violent, even the music we like is gone”

Light watched John’s pacing worriedly. Moving to try and hug again, only to whimper slightly as he was pushed away roughly “John … I’m sorry.”

“I just , I want Jacob back, okay? Not Light, not Light Winds, I want my friend.” John went into his room, closing the door “

“But I am your friend” Light said to the door.

Another day another argument, John thought as he sat on his bed. Thats all they ever seem to have these days. Ever since Jacob, no, Light Winds ‘went pony’. Oh at first it was cool, here was his friend, so different, and able to fly. And while it was still, unmistakably still him, the differences were grating, massively so. John could still remember when they met for the first time, and thought, he would likely never know that Jacob again.


“What the fuck do you think you are doing? “ John heard as he was suddenly pushed away from the junction box. Looking up from a sprawled position, he glared.

“Trying to get some god-damned power, what do you think? “ John responded, as he immediately lunged for the attacker, knocking him over quickly. His assailant seemed startled, but quickly responded to the attack in kind.

After a few minutes of fighting, John was remaining on the ground, spent, the victor stood above him “Go on then, take it “ John spat, “I spent months waiting for the Blackwater to need that junction box, preparing the lock so I could keep it open”

The attacker looked baffled for a second "Take it? I was saving your life, you moron! Blackwater likes to switch fuses--the one you took out was for the other line. The one you were about to touch was still active!"

“Oh…” Was all John could say to that.

Needless to say, after Jacob had saved John’s life, and just got a fight in return, John had been very grateful, and upon finding out Jacob’s lack of accommodation, invited him to stay in his abandoned flat, forming the friendship that brought them to today.

“Why…” John mumbled as he slumped back onto his mattress, “Why was Equestria worth more then our friendship?”

“It isn’t” Light Winds said from the doorway. “But being dead in four years, would destroy it worse.”

“I know that, I just...” John trailed off

“Scared and confused, I know. And I am still your friend, at least, I still want to be” Light Winds flew the short distance to John and sat by him “I know I dont enjoy the same stuff anymore, but I still enjoy being with you, can’t that be enough?”

“Gay … “ John replied with a smile “More then you usually are too. But yeah, I just … It changed you so much you know? Will .. Will I be the same?”

“I don’t know John, I do know I really want you to be a pegasus too, going flying is way cooler then the sims, let me tell you .. Not that being a unicorn or earth pony wouldn't be fun too, dont get me wrong, I just ..”

John laughed and pulled the winged pony against him. “Thats another thing, there really is no way to choose which?”

“The Bureau said no, it’s totally random, apparently earth ponies are more common though, something about the ratio of ponies that exist in Equestria” Light Winds smile “I have a good feeling about you though!”

“You said that about the MicroSony stocks … And look at us now” John laughed

“I know, I know! So I was wrong, sue me! I couldn’t have known the end of the world was coming.” Light grinned up at John.

“The end of the world … That’s … that really is whats happening isn’t it?”

“Yeah John, and I kinda want you safe for it, why don’t you call Edinburgh, I am sure the waiting list has gone down.”

“I … I didn’t register there yet, I was scared “ John admitted softly. Light Wind, upon hearing this, slumped down onto the mattress some more. “I know, I know , The waiting list is likely years now “

“Years? John, only the rich get to go to the bureaus now , So little of them, so much time… if your not on the list, the best you can do is go to the bureau and get a on the day potion, no classes, no rest period, just poof, your a pony”

John slumped alongside Light Winds now “Christ, seriously? Thats just .. “.

Light Winds nodded “What they have to do.”

“The Aberdeen one will already be full I bet, too “ John sighed “Do you think I should go, just for the on the day thing?”

“Aberdeen one? John Aberdeen isn’t going to get one, something about only one per region, remember?”

“No, there is one opening tomorrow, I passed by it, it’s where the old medical center was” John looked more excited “Do you think maybe if you didn’t know, oh master of all pony on earth related knowledge , others may not either?”

“It’s worth a try, as you said, the worst they can do is say you need an on the day “ Light Winds smiled, the pegasus pony yawning gently. “Either way you have a big day tomorrow, meal then sleep on it?”

John nodded to that “Veggie cassarole? Or my best attempt at it anyway?”

Light Winds perked up slightly “Plenty of carrots?”

“All the carrots, though, lets save one for me to try after, shall we?”

The next morning John got up early to get going, leaving a note by Light Winds. Looking around, he tried to pull as much detail he could into memory.. His potentially last memories as a human, this was bound to be special to him someday, right? John chuckled to himself as he continued , passing faded vehicle stops until he finally gets to the doors of the bureau, bright and shiny, the lock now a bright, welcoming green. Swallowing John stood in front of the doors. “This is it” he thought to himself, looking at the silvered windows, the bright sign declaring they are now open.

John must have been stood there staring for a good ten minutes before a gentle cough came from behind him “Nervous?” a soft female voice laughed gently. Turning around John blinked seeing a green unicorn behind him.

“It helps if people don’t sneak up on me. Well ponies too I suppose…“ John glared gently but shook his head. “I think anyone would be really … Anyway! I am John, nice to meet you!”

“Hisan Braytast,” she said softly adjusting her glasses, “The Administrator of this new bureau “. With that she moved in front of John her mane in a bun behind her “I take it you may be our first ahem, customer?”

“I .. Think so” he replied nervously, watching as the pony before him moved to open the door.

“You’re in luck, You’re just in time to see our first shipment of potion come in ” Hisan said brightly, with a warm smile to him, holding the door open “You going to spend all day staring or going to come inside?”

“I’m coming in , looks warmer inside there then out here anyway” John grinned sheepishly, moving in, and looking around. “No Blackwater? “ He asked curiously, remembering Light Wind’s tales about his time at a bureau.

“We can look after ourselves.” She grinned, an odd, almost smirk. “Seriously, we haven’t seen much need for them up here yet. Anyway, as our receptionist seems to be busy elsewhere, let me get you checked in.”

John blinked at that. “Checked in, I thought I needed to make an appointment? “ Smiling nervously “I kind of, didnt even know if I could get in, isnt everyone booked up for like, years in advanced now?”

“Yeah, but being new, and up here, everyone seems to have overlooked us” Hisan grinned “Poor advertising I think, so as I said, you are our first customer“

Hisan slipped behind the counter, and looked up at him “Full name please, and address “ Hisan’s horn glowed, depressing keys on a computer, the old fashioned keyboard handling magic better then a touch screen.

“John Setford, and I don’t really have an address, currently” John sighed “I am currently living over in an abandoned flat in Tilly area “

“Got it, N.I?”

As John rattled off his National Insurance number, the door opened behind him. “Delivery for the Aberdeen Conversion Bureau. “ Could be heard, turning around he saw a pair of ponies, carrying a sealed plastic case between them.

“Your in luck John, this is our potion delivery “ Hisan grinned “Want to see it before we get you settled into your room?”

“Sure, “ John mumbled, watching as Hisan gave the pair her id, and verified it. He followed her through the twisty thin corridors to the door marked Medical.

“Here we are, our medical office, this is where the conversion will happen. If you have any medical problems until then, please knock before entering, ok?”

“Ok “ John agreed, as the door was opened into a relatively small, rather old fashioned doctor’s office, in the corner stands a locked, alarmed case, which Hisan starts to open. Once it is open, she opens the case, and removes the flask, putting it into the case, quickly locking it.

“And there we have it, in about a week’s time, maybe less, that is what will help your transition into ponyhood. “ Hisan smiled. “Now lets get you to where you will be sleeping, at least whole your still human.” Hisan then quickly left the medical office, and deeper into the bureau, arriving at what looked to be a small dorm room. Levitating a small clipboard off the wall she grinned “You have your pick of every room so far, though we expect to fill up quick, you will have a roommate at some point, but for now, you have your own room.”

John, looking around, picks the door at the end of the corridor “Room 5 please “ he smiled, soon receiving the key from Hisan.

“I will let you get settled in, we may not have any classes today, until more people arrive. Lunch will be at 1, I will send someone to show you, and anyone else the way to the cafeteria.” Hisan made a note of John’s room on the clipboard, before putting it back and leaving him be.

“I guess this isn’t so bad “ John mumbled to himself throwing his backpack onto the bed and leaning back onto it , thinking of the days to come, and that viscous, green potion.

Author's Note:

Well this is the start of my attempt at a Conversion bureau story! First attempt at a pony story too, so, wish me luck