• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 675 Views, 4 Comments

A Changeling and his Bond Brother: Days of Nightmare Moon - Southern Wing



The return of Nightmare Moon was the first major event for changelings in over twenty years. A harmonist by the name of Schkitz. Who lives under the pony alias of Southern Wing, along with his bond brother Sev. The pair will soon become involved in

  • ...
3
 4
 675

Chapter 1

Wing sat in the bunker that served as a home away from home in the Everfree Forest. He and Sev had built together one summer. He took up his time reading a Mighty Morphin Pony Rangers comic book in his natural changeling form.

Sev walked in the bunker with a smile on his face and some bags of food. “Hey Wing! I'm back!”

“Welcome back. What you get?”

“The essentials pretty much. You ready for the upcoming celebration?”

“You mean the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration? The one where it’s foretold Nightmare Moon will return?” Wing said gleefully.

“That’s the one. You ready or not?”

“As ready as one can be,” Wing said hesitantly. “Only the Elements of Harmony can stop her and they’ve been lost for a thousand years.”

“Sounds like you really believe in this stuff. I believe in it, too. So they could be anywhere?”

“Well, to be fair, they’re in the remnants of the castle of the two pony sisters.”

“You mean Celestia and Luna?’

“Duh.”

“Who do you think the bearers will be?”

“I can think of a few possibilities, but you won’t like one of them.”

“Don’t tell me it’s that redneck. Sheesh, I really hope it’s not her.”

“Oh, you mean your secret crush? Yeah, it’s possible she’s one of them.”

“You’re sick, you know that?” Sev groaned.

Wing snickered in response. “Don’t blame me for being able to pick up on vibes. I know you like Applejack.”

“That’s not true, I’d never do anything with her! I’d rather gouge my own eyes out!”

“If you say so,” Wing teased.

“Shut up!”

Wing couldn’t help himself and burst out into laughter, only to see Sev throw a book at him. “Ow!”

“Serves you right. You always smack me on the back of the head when I make even the littlest comment about a mare.”

“Killjoy,” Wing muttered under his breath.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, Sev.”

“Better have been nothing.”

Wing closed the comic and put it up on the shelf. “Well then, shall we go into town and see who Celestia sent to oversee the celebration preparations?”

“Yeah. Let’s go see who it is. I’m kinda curious about it.”

Wing transformed to his pegasus form and led the way. The pair flew back to their home of Ponyville. The only differences about Wing’s normal form were the crimson red chitin around his midsection and his bug-like red eyes and wings.

“I assume Dash is practicing for when the Wonderbolts show up tomorrow?’

“Eeyup. You know how she is.”

“Heh, I know what you mean. You two were made for each other.”

“You know how she is about marriage, though. ‘It’ll slow me down, it’ll affect me becoming a wonderbolt,’” Sev said in Dash’s voice.

“I get it, Sev.”

“While we’re at it, you and Fluttershy were made for each other.”

“Hey now, buddy. Let’s not jump to conclusions.”

“I’m just saying, you’ve been together for a long time.”

“Not counting when we went to school in Canterlot.”

“Of course, you dated Twilight after things didn’t work out with Octavia.”

“Or, rather, her racist father.”

“Yeah…that was rough. Sorry about that.”

“And then there’s Prince Blueblood, with what he did in school. What a jerk.”

“And yet Ms. Rarity thinks Canterlot is the greatest thing to ever happen.” That got both of them to groan.

“Hey, one day she’ll learn, once she goes there and actually meets some of those ponies.”

“Indeed, Schkitz,” Queen Chiton interjected telepathically..

“Ah, Mother. Getting the hive ready?”

“Yes. I gather that you will stay in Ponyville?”

“Indeed. I’m not just gonna leave Sev here.”

“That is your choice. But I will stay in contact til it is clear that Nightmare Moon does indeed return. Stay safe out there, Schkitz.”

“Don’t worry mother I will.”

“Queen Chiton again?’ Sev asked.

“Yep,” Wing replied verbally, as the pair began final approach to Ponyville.

“She’s worried as well?”

“About Nightmare Moon? Well yeah. Can you blame her?”

“Understandable. I’m a little edgy about it myself.”

Sev and Wing landed and started walking down the main street.

Wing looked over to one corner and saw a familiar face. “Hey buddy, is that who I think it is?” Wing asked.

“Huh?” Sev looked over and saw Twilight Sparkle with her assistant Spike. “Hey, Twiley’s here.”

“Uh-oh look who’s walking up to he..” Wing motioned to Pinkie Pie.

“Oh boy…” Sev replied.

“Here we go.”

They two heard Pinkie Pie gasp loudly. “Pinkie Pie!” Sev shouted loudly.

Wing walked over to meet Twilight, followed by Sev. “Don’t mind her, she’s just being Pinkie Pie.” Wing said.

“That voice…” Twilight said, before turning to see Sev and Wing. “Wing? Sev?”

“Hey Twi,” Sev said. “It’s been a while.”

“How ya been, Twi?” Wing asked.

“I can’t believe it’s you!” Twilight gleamed, coming over to meet some old faces. “Sev, where have you been all these years?”

“He’s been in Cloudsdale with me,” Wing replied.

“Yeah...I had to get away from Canterlot,” Sev said meekly. “It was way too much for me.”

“Well, it’s good to see you two again. I have to catch up with you guys soon.”

“What about me?” Spike interjected.

“Yes, it’s good to see you too, Spike.” Wing replied. “Nice to see you’ve gone on a growth spurt.”

“You guys are here for the Summer Sun Celebration, right?” Sev asked.

“Yeah, that’s what we’re here for.” Spike replied, gleaming with pride at the growth spurt comment.

“How about Sev and I show you around?” Wing offered.

“That’s a great idea Wing! And it will give us a lot of time to catch up. Go ahead and show me around.”

With that settled, the four friends walked down the street, with Sev and Wing leading the way.

“So where we going first?” Wing asked.

“We’re checking out the food situation at uh...Sweet Apple Acres?” Spike muttered.

“Oh...Goody…” Sev moaned.

“What’s with him?” Spike whispered over to Wing.

“Oh don’t mind Grumpy Pants here. He’s just upset that we’re going to see his secret crush first” Wing snickered.

Sev looked over as he'd heard that. “You’re sick in the head, you know that? Why would I ever date that hick?”

“What’s all this about?” Twilight asked, overhearing Sev.

“You’ll see when we get there,” Wing replied.

“Okay, then…”

The group soon arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, the smell of apples wafting into their nostrils.

“Yeehaw!” an orange earthpony with a blond mane shouted. She ran to a tree and bucked it, causing the apples in it to fall into buckets underneath it.

“Let’s just get this done so we can get back to our research and tour of Ponyville.” Twilight said as she walked up to the mare, Wing and Sev following. “Uh, hello. I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight was unprepared for the mare grabbing her hoof and shaking it violently. “Well, howdy do, Twilight. Name’s Applejack. What can I do fer ya?”

Twilight continued shaking her hoof until Spike grabbed onto it, stopping the near earthquake.

“Hey, Applejack,” Wing spoke up.

Applejack looked to Wing with a smile. “Howdy Wing!” Her smile turned into a glare when she laid eyes on Sev. “Howdy...you.” There was a hint of venom in her voice.

“Hello yourself,” Sev replied with an equal amount of venom.

“Am I missing something here?” Twilight asked in confusion.

“This is Sev’s secret crush, Twilight,” Wing introduced her.

“We do not like each other!” Sev and Applejack replied at the same time.

Wing stifled with laughter at the pair.

“Don’t even think about,” Sev warned.

Wing regained his composure taking a deep breath. “Okay, it’s out of the system.”

“Better be,” Sev growled.

“Ya, Wing, I’m not gonna take this funny business well,” Applejack piled on.

“Anyways...Princess Celestia sent me to check on the food situation.”

Applejack perked up. “How bout I introduce ya to tha Apple family while we do that?”

“Here we go..” Sev muttered under his breath.

“Thanks, but--” Twilight said only to be interrupted by Applejack.

“This here’s Apple Bumpkin.” she said, pointing to a mare with an apple related snack cutiemark. And after introducing several ponies and many snacks, she finally introduced the remaining three. “Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, and… Granny Smith. Up and at’em Granny!”

“Huh? Wha uh Soups on,” Granny said, groggily waking up from a nap in her rocking chair.

“Ah might say yer already part of tha family!” Applejack said to Twilight.

“When you gonna give me some grandfoals, Applejack?” Granny Smith asked, causing Applejack’s face to turn a deep red color.

“G...Granny!” Applejack shouted

“Ah ain’t getting any younger! You and that Sev fella would make a good couple!” Granny continued.

“Granny!”

Wing and Big Mac, who had been composed at this point, lost it and started laughing uncontrollably.

“Dangit Wing!” Sev shouted.

“Big Mac!” Applejack shouted.

Twilight rolled her eyes at the situation. “Seriously, you two should calm down.”

Big Mac and Wing soon got their laughter under control.

“Anyway, I see the food situation is handled, so we’ll be on our way.”

“Aren’t you gonna stay for brunch?” Apple Bloom asked, giving Twilight the classic bait of puppydog eyes.

“Sorry, but we have a lot to do.”

“Awww,” the entire Apple family said.

“Come on, Twi, they have fritters,” Wing said, holding up an apple fritter.

“Fine. I guess I should stay for a minute…” Twilight trailed off.

The Apple Family, along with Sev and Wing, cheered with delight at Twilight’s decision.

“This is going to be a long day,” Twilight thought to herself as the apple feast started.

Author's Note:

This story take place chronologically before Imprisonment of a Changeling. But is not a direct prequel to it.