• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,238 Views, 85 Comments

A Muffin For Muffins - BatwingCandlewaxxe



For Ditzy Doo. a developmentally disabled pony, an intelligence enhancement spell proves to be both a greater blessing, and a greater curse, than anypony could have expected.

  • ...
8
 85
 1,238

PreviousChapters Next
Progress Report Week 27

Progress Report Week 27
Spent most of this week on magic studies. Between the rather odd descriptions of Earth Pony magic in Broken Arrow's dense tome (hard to discount it all, since she seems a rather stolid and unimaginative sort from her writing), and some of the pegasus magic that I've been learning, there's a... disconnect? if that's the right word... between that and what I've been learning about unicorn magic from Twilight. I can't quite put my hoof on it. Probably just don't know enough yet. The princess hasn't had nearly enough time to spend with me on my studies, so she's attempting to arrange a tutor. Not many appear to be interested in teaching theory to non-unicorns. Some of the old prejudices die hard, I suppose. She thinks she can convince one of her favorite instructors from Celestia's School to tutor me — Compound Sigil, who is now professor emeritus of Runic Composition at Canterlot University's College of Theoretical Magic. The way she described him sounded as though he'd be an excellent choice, I hope he agrees. In the meantime, I've started perusing a few of the more advanced monographs in the library. Having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around them, but lacking the practicum there is a limit to how much I can learn about magic anyway.

In a bit of an argument with Redline Proof over some of her suggested edits. Most of them make sense, and are definite improvements; but she's demanding that I modernize several passages of the more archaic dialog in "The Nine Princesses". I cannot perceive any approach that would allow me to accede to her requests without compromising the tone of the story, and in particular of the character interactions. I don't think it will be as difficult for the readers as she claims. Rose seemed to do okay with it, and she's far from being a scholar of ancient languages. But Redline insists that the dialog is too obscure for the target audience, and that I'll just confuse them. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to compromise on this; I believe that she's underestimating the intelligence of our readers. Fortunately, it's just the one story.

Haven't done much new writing this week, as I've remained predominantly focused on study, as well as editing and revising my latest works for inclusion in the journal. They're talking about making me a regular staff writer, although given everything I'm currently involved with, I'd rather concentrate on authoring a book. They have enough stories for the next half-dozen moons, though, so I've got a few weeks until I need to make a final decision. Haven't been spending much time with Rose this week, she's been busy putting together arrangements for several events which have monopolized her time. I don't have many more friends aside from the princess and her inner circle, so I've devoted the extra time to working on my linguistic and magic research.

I've begun translating the Old Terran, and found that Broken Arrow was a bit of a fraud. She clearly didn't know anywhere near as much about the language as she liked to think; and appears to have been inventing much of it out of whole cloth. I've managed to piece together a few words and passages from context (fortunately, a primary component of the language is context-dependency); but it's so impenetrably complex. I am reduced to making educated guesses about a third of the time, and wild guesses far too often, even cross-referencing what remains of the language in Crystal Equestrian. I'm nearly at the point of abandoning my efforts, especially as there doesn't seem to be anything new in it. Nearly all the passages I've been able to piece together so far have been tales and themes I'm already intimately familiar with. The oral traditions of the Earth ponies have conserved the old stories and kept them alive through many centuries through a form of bardic tradition, although it's clear there has been a notable drift in many tales as outside influences transform them over time. At this juncture, it is plainly manifest that I'd be better served locating somepony who is knowledgeable in the old tales, and giving the translation a miss. Disappointing, but at least now I can focus my efforts a bit more narrowly.

Speaking of focus, I've managed to improve my cognitive multi-focus ability. I'm now focusing on three different threads of thought, for up to four hours at a stretch, before the pre-migraine aura manifests. It feels as though I'm three different ponies using the same room, dancing around each other in a graceful ballet, only very rarely missing a step and interfering with the others. That's the key, those missteps. They are more common the longer I dance, and too many collisions eventually triggers the migraines. Organizing my thoughts into more regimented patterns is the solution. I can already hear Princess Twilight saying "I told you so". I do like my chaotic system, though, there's something more organic and spontaneous about it. Organize the inside of my head, and don't worry too much about what goes on outside it; that seems to be the way to make everyone dance smoothly.

Muffins has certainly gotten used to the outside of my head. She goes everywhere with me now. Such a smart little mouse, I never have to worry about her getting lost or running off; although I do need to keep an eye open for raptors and cats. Rarity has made a few politely concerned comments about the state of my mane, but I don't really care all that much what it looks like. Haven't been to the spa at all the last couple weeks, just so busy. I really should do something about that next week.

PreviousChapters Next