• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,238 Views, 85 Comments

A Muffin For Muffins - BatwingCandlewaxxe



For Ditzy Doo. a developmentally disabled pony, an intelligence enhancement spell proves to be both a greater blessing, and a greater curse, than anypony could have expected.

  • ...
8
 85
 1,238

PreviousChapters Next
Progress Report Week 9

Progress Report Week 9
I had my twenty-third birthday this week. Pinkie Pie organized a happy birthday and happy getting smarter party for me. I didn't bother inviting anypony from the post office except my boss Index Card, since he was the only one who was ever actually nice to me. He showed up to say happy birthday and congratulations, but had to leave early. Princess Twilight and all the rest of her friends were there the whole time, Pinkie Pie and Rarity and Fluttershy and Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Instead of a cake Pinkie made me a giant muffin, with lots of nuts. I love nuts in my muffins. I gave Muffins a piece of almond from my muffin cake. She seemed to really like it. Everypony else liked it as well, so that was good. Cherilee also showed up, she seemed very happy to hear how much smarter I had gotten. We talked about school a bit. She is still teaching the night classes for adult ponies, but says it isn't the same without my enthusiasm. I told her I still love learning, and spend a lot of my day reading and sometimes working with Princess Twilight. She talked about some of her other students and said she wished the younger ones had my enthusiasm for learning. I told her she's a great teacher and I'm sure they would learn a lot from her no matter what.

Roseluck and Lily Valley were there for a little bit too. They were very nice. Rose brought me a small box of rose flavoured candy she had Sweetie Drops make for me. She said she liked it when I delivered her mail, since I was always so nice and careful with her parcels, and she liked chatting with me. I thanked her and said I was sorry I wouldn't be delivering her mail anymore. She said she remembered that I wanted to write and asked if I was working on anything. I said I wasn't, that I was still studying and as soon as I learned more about language and writing, and then I would start writing my own stories. She wanted to know what kind of stories, so I told her I wasn't sure, but probably fairy tales or something like that, since I love fairy tales. She said I should let her know when I wrote something because she would love to read it. I told her I would definitely do that.

A little while after they left, my dad showed up. He had sent me a letter telling me he might come, but that would depend on work. I guess work wasn't too busy. I hugged him and started talking about everything that had happened to me. For some reason, he seemed a little uncomfortable, like he didn't know who I was. That made me think I didn't really know much about him, aside from what little I remembered my mother telling me. I didn't even know what he did. He didn't talk to me much on the times he visited me in the Lacuna Heart Home, mostly just sat and listened to me talk for a couple hours then left. I asked him about his job and what he did. He told me he worked for the weather production team as a field engineer. He travels all over Equestria to study the climates in all sorts of places and report on the effects that the weather teams have. The production engineers then take those reports and use them to decide how to adjust the weather in those locations, to decide if they need more rain or less, if they need clouds to keep places from getting too warm, and how much snow they will have over the winter. Some places don't even get snow in the winter. I kind of feel sorry for those places. I like the snow, it's so much fun to play in. I understand why he wasn't home very much and asked him if that made him sad. He said he missed my mother and me when he was out; but getting to travel all over the place was one of the things he liked best out of the job. Getting to see so many places and meeting so many different ponies sounds like fun.

I tried to ask about my mother, and why she died, but he said that was still too hard for him to talk about and he changed the subject. We talked for another hour about stuff before he said he had to catch a train. I hugged him again before he left. I told the Princess what my dad said about my mother, and asked if she knew any way I could find out more about her, and why she got so sick and died like that. She said she would try to look into it, but thought I should focus more on study and not sad things like that. I think she thought it would make me too sad, but I just want to know what happened. I wasn't smart enough to really understand what was going on at the time and now that I am I deserve to know. She said she'd talk to the hospital in Cloudsdale to see if they could send me the records.

Princess Twilight gave me a book for a birthday present, Swift Shadow's Classic Fairy Stories. I guess she noticed that I like fairy tales. Rarity gave me a beautiful silver and gold silk scarf that she made herself. I almost cried it was so pretty. She seemed a little embarrassed by that. The others said they didn't know what to get me, but I said that was okay because I was just so happy that they came to see me and I hoped we could be friends. They said they would be happy to be friends and I got a lot of hugs. After that I took the rest of the muffin home to finish later. It is odd to think of living in the castle as home after spending the last twelve or so years living in Lacuna Heart Home. I hung up the scarf in the closet, where I could see it whenever I opened the door. When I did that, I remembered something. Or more like I don't remember something. I don't remember my dad ever giving me anything for my birthday.

PreviousChapters Next