• Published 8th Oct 2016
  • 1,555 Views, 64 Comments

Pony Rangers: Element Storm - mistercokehold8



Follow the adventures of the Element Storm Pony Rangers as they work to save all of Equestria from the ultimate evil from taking over.

  • ...
5
 64
 1,555

Thunder Strangers Part 3

The mood up above on Nightmare Moon’s vessel was one that had yet to be displayed: the alicorn of the night was in a really good mood. This surprised her followers, since the last time Nightmare Moon was in anything resembling a good mood is when this all started.

“If I may ask you highness, why the good mood?” Trixie asked her master. The alicorn let out a laugh.

“Because for once, all is going according to plan!” The alicorn explained. “The Thunder Rangers have done everything they have said, exactly as the plan goes!”

“Your majesty,” Iron Will said, stepping forward with a frown on his muzzle. “I feel that until the Thunder Rangers return and the world is under our control, we shouldn’t celebrate just yet.”

“Iron Will, allow me to show you something.” Nightmare Moon said calmly, motioning her follower closer. With a wave of her hoof an image appeared of Rumble and Button Mash down below calmly trotting through a forest, one that looked familiar.

“The Everfree Forest?”

“One thing I have learned is you do not just wake up one day and decide to take over a planet.” The alicorn explained. “There are steps that must be taken. Observe, Step 1: capture your enemy’s leader.” The alicorn tapped her hoof at the moving image, showing an energy sphere on Rumble’s back. Taking a closer look Will could see a shrunken purple unicorn trapped inside: Twilight Sparkle. “Done. Step 2: wipe out the rest of their army. That is where you come in. Step 3: get rid of anything that stands in our way.” The alicorn changed the image to Ponyville. “That we will all do together.” The alicorn turned to her other followers. “Well? Any questions?” Nopony answered, but they were all feeling Nightmare Moon’s good mood.


“Then off to it!”


“See? I knew there was something about Rumble and Button Mash!” Scootaloo said as she and her friends frantically searched for Twilight on the Element Ops computer.

“Well, you don’t need to say, ‘Ah told ya so’ okay?” Applebloom said. “Ah fee; bad enough as it is.” Spike kept his eyes on the monitor until he found something promising.

“Got them.” A purple blip appeared on a map of Equestria. “That energy sphere contains Twilight.”

“How did she get in there?”

“Before they could capture her she encased herself in it for protection.” The drake explained. “Nothing’s gonna be able to crack it, and it will let us follow her anywhere within a twenty-five mile radius, but she’s about to go out of range.”

“Why are they in the Everfree Forest?” Applebloom asked.

“I got it! The Castle of The Two Sisters!” Sweetie had been searching through Twilight’s various books and scrolls in an attempt to find any clues on where the Thunder Rangers could be going, or what they planned to do with Twilight.

“Of course!”

“Isn’t that where the ghost are?” Scootaloo asked.

“It’s also where the Spirit Cave is.” Spike explained. “Under the castle is a cave that house the Gem of Souls.”

“And It’s also the only thing in Equestria powerful enough to break the energy sphere around Twilight.” Sweetie read from a book.

“That’s gotta be what the Thunders are after.”

“Then that’s where we’re going.” Scootaloo said firmly, to her friends agreement.”


The Everfree Forest was not a place most ponies would dare enter, even with the company of friends or family. With sunlight barely able to pierce the canopy above, Rumble and Button Mash had to move carefully so they wouldn’t get lost or separated. They didn’t fear the creatures within, because they knew they had the skills to handle it. The two trotted along until they heard a low wail echo out, stopping them in their tracks.

“I don’t know about you bro, but this place gives me the creeps.” Button said.

“Right with you there.”

“You two should be afraid.” Twilight said, sounding muffled from inside her sphere. “There are spirits of the darkest warriors Equestria had ever known in this forest.” Rumble held the sphere up to look at Twilight.

“Thought a mare of science didn’t believe in ghost.” The ranger taunted. “And what did I say about keeping quiet?”

“You need to learn that revenge isn’t the answer. Especially on a pony that hasn’t done anything to you!” Rumble stopped trotting again.

“You destroyed our parents!” He shouted, shaking the sphere to rattle Twilight.


“Parents who adopted and gave us life! You deserve everything you’re gonna get.” Button warned dangerously.


To track down and rescue Twilight, it was gonna take everything the Element Storm Rangers had at their disposal to do so. Spike broke out Mobile Ops once more so the three would be able to use the Tsunami Cycles. All three were morphed, visors down, ready to go. It would be all hooves on deck.

“Tracking systems are online.” Spike reported. “The Thunders haven’t left Everfree yet.” Applebloom was pacing around like she needed something. “Bloom, you should’ve gone before we left.”

“Its not that.” The yellow ranger said. “Ah’m just freaking out here.” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were going over the cycles to make sure they were in tip top shape, but the red rangers couldn’t help but notice how quiet the blue ranger was being.

“You ok Sweetie?” Scootaloo asked, not getting an answer back. “Look, it wasn’t your fault.”

“Then who’s was it?” The ranger asked quietly.

“You were just doing what you thought was right.” Scootaloo said softly. “It could’ve happened to any one of us.” Sweetie smiled at her friend as the three rangers mounted their cycles.

“This is as far as I can go girls. The Everfree is too tight for Mobile Ops.” Spike explained, before looking at all three. “The rest is up to you three…..please…..find Twilight.”

“We’re not coming back without her!” Scootaloo said firmly. “Visors up!” The rangers lowered their visors to cover their face as they revved the engines of the cycles. Spike pressed a button that lowered the ramp to the back to Mobile Ops. Once the ramp touched the ground, Scootaloo punched the throttle. Speeding off, all three rangers peeled out of the trailer that was Mobile Ops, disappearing into the thick forest.


“Hold on Twilight, they’re coming.” Spike said softly.


“Are we there yet?” Button asked as he and Rumble came to a clearing in the forest.

“Almost there.” Rumble said as the wail they heard earlier returned, putting the two on high alert.

“Did you hear that?” Button asked as the wail intensified, bouncing off the trees. The two brothers looked around, trying to pinpoint the source of the wail when in the middle of the clearing several pony figures made themselves visible. The two ponies took a fighting stance as the grey moaning ponies encircled the two. These were the spirits of the Everfree; ponies doomed to trot within forever.

“Maybe she was on to something.” Rumble calmly lowered Twilight’s sphere at the base of a tree, as so not to lose her later. The mare watched as the two stallions slowly held up their morphers as the spirits locked eyes on them.

“Ready?”

“Ready!” Both rangers pointed their morphers down.

“Thunderstorm! Ranger Form! Ha!” Lifting their morphers, then two slammed a button on the underside, each morpher opening to show their power disc. Their gold gauntlets latched to their forehooves and shoulders as their helmets launched into the air. When the two helmets latched perfectly to the two stallions the rest of their ranger form appeared as they let out a charge of crimson and navy lightning into the sky.

“Power of Thunder!” Both rangers called out. The first spirit lunged at Rumble with a spinning heel kick. The crimson ranger slid underneath the spirit able to connect a punch with the spirit behind it before turning its arm backwards, flipping it to the ground. Button flipped over two spirits, jabbing an elbow at one behind him. One spirit brought its hoof down onto the rangers shoulder, only for the navy ranger to catch it and flipping it backwards, spinning his back legs outwards with a leg sweep, taking down multiple spirits.

Rumble avoided a leg sweep, twirling in the air to connect with a side take down, snatching up Twilight’s sphere in the process. Keeping a hoof on the ground the ranger kicked his legs up, taking more spirits down, but they just kept getting back up, moaning and groaning still.

“They just keep coming!” Rumble said, avoiding a punch before taking one in the ribs, knocking him back into Button. Both rangers ducked under a kick before a swarm of spirits piled on them. “What now?”

“How about putting me down?!” Twilight said as her sphere shook. More spirits charged forward, only to be knock down in a surprise explosion of sparks. The thunder rangers looked as laser beams down the spirits down.

“What the?”

“Coming through!” Scootaloo shouted. The Element Rangers had arrived. The three mares fired more charges as they skid to a stop in front of the Thunder Rangers.

“Um, who do we fight?” Applebloom asked as the spirits rose back to their hooves.

“Anything not wearing a primary color!” Sweetie said as the spirits charged all five rangers. The blue ranger was tackled off her cycle as Scootaloo exchanged blows while still mounted on hers. Applebloom drifted the bike around, knocking spirits over and Rumble and Button Mash continued their fight as well.

“Stay close!” Rumble said to his brother as he flipped a spirit over.

“This is crazy!” Scootaloo flipped over her handle bars, locking her back legs around a spirit and turning them over. Rumble kicked his legs out until spirits piled on him, with him holding the sphere in the air.

“Ah’ll take that!” Applebloom said, riding by on her cycle and snatching Twilight away. “You ok?” She asked as she drifted to a stop.

“Not for long!” Flipping over the southern mare Button Mash took the sphere away once more, only to be tackled by spirits as he landed. “No wait!” He quickly tossed Twilight over Applebloom’s head and back to the hooves of Rumble.

“I got her!” Meanwhile Sweetie had been pinned down, only to be freed by Scootaloo. All rangers kept throwing kicks and punches at the spirits (sometimes at each other) until they were in a circle, facing out as they became surrounded.

“These guys are fearless!”

“They’re dead. It’s not like they have a lot to lose.” Sweetie pointed out.

“So that would be the glass half-empty right?”

“Back off!” Rumble shouted as a spirit tried to take Twilight away. All five rangers put up their fighting stance.

“Anypony have a bright idea?” Button asked, opening the floor for suggestions. Scootaloo had one, and it was crazy.

“Temporary truce?” She asked Rumble, off to her side. The stallion thought about it for a moment as the spirits numbers grew larger.

“….only for now!” For the first time, all five rangers began to work as one team. Rumble and Scootaloo began exchanging blows with several ghouls while Button, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle rolled off to the side in their own battle. As she watched on from her energy sphere Twilight could only be amazed by the two sides working as one team.

For the two red rangers whenever a spirit would attack one the other would catch the attack and strike back harder. Scootaloo rolled directly over the spine of one ghoul, taking its eyes off of Rumble who directed a kick into its chest. One ghoul pounced only to be caught in a head scissors by Scootaloo and twisted to the ground.


Up above Nightmare Moon was watching the fight, and she was not liking what she saw. Growling, she turned to Will.

“Just get down there, now!”

“Yes your highness!”


The two blue rangers flipped over a group of spirits, taking one down with a double leg sweep as Applebloom took to the air, taking several down with a dropkick. Flipping backwards as Button and Sweetie slid into place, flipping two ghouls over their shoulders as Applebloom cartwheeled over the two. As Sweetie and Applebloom took out more spirits with another double leg sweep, Button landed a well-placed back hoof under a ghouls chin. The three then connected a triple kick, knocking several spirits down. The three watched as the spirits vanished in a puff of smoke.

“That takes care of them.” Button said satisfied. Over with the red rangers Scootaloo and Rumble were throwing punches in every direction. Every punch met its target, with ghouls being knocked over one by one. The two missed their last target with their punch just over its head, so they instead brought their elbows down on top of it, knocking the groaning spirit down.

“That’s the last of them.” Scootaloo said as the spirits vanished.

“That was great team work.” Twilight said from her sphere, hopeful that this meant something.

“We make a great team!” Applebloom said, patting Button on the back. The ranger looked at the farm pony’s hoof, then slowly over to her.

“Yeah about that….” The navy ranger took the hoof and twisted it awkwardly, kicking Sweetie Belle away in the process. Before Scootaloo could react Rumble planted a elbow into her chest before flipping her over and stomping a hoof down.

“Truce over.” Rumble said, leaning in close to the down ranger before rejoining his brother. “Let’s get out of here.” Button nodded, and using the same abilities the three mares had took off in amazing speed.

“They’re getting away!”

“Oh no they’re not!” Scootaloo got back up onto her hooves, taking off after the two Thunder Rangers with her friends close behind her. Taking to the air Scootaloo landed in front of the stallions as Sweetie and Applebloom caught up. Rumble merely kicked the Pegasus out of the way in a clash of sparks as the yellow ranger helped her friend up.

“Why are you doing this?!”

“Simple: revenge.” Rumble answered. Before any other attack could be made the rangers began to shake with the ground.

“Now what?” Sweetie asked as the ground shook violently. “Is it an earthquake?”

“No, it’s that!” Applebloom pointed as a large green Megazord like machine slowly grew to correct size as large columns of red smoke billowed out from it. Inside the cockpit Iron Will chuckled to himself as he looked down at the confused rangers. This was his backup plan, and he was making sure it did not fail.

“Is that….Will?” Scootaloo asked confused.

“Who gave him keys to a zord?” Applebloom asked as the Thunder Rangers turned to each other.

“That’ll keep them busy for a bit.” Rumble said as he and Button dashed off again.

“Girls! They’re getting away!” Spike said over the communications from Mobile Ops. Scootaloo looked back and forth helplessly. Did they chase off after Twilight, or stay and fight Will.

“You two go after them. I’ll take care of Will.” Sweetie said, not taking her eyes off the large zord.

“Are you sure?”

“Go! Twilight needs us!”

“Let’s move Bloom!” Scootaloo and Applebloom promptly took off after the two Thunder Rangers, leaving Sweetie Belle alone with Iron Will.

“Spike, how about the zords?”

“On the way Sweetie!” Spike said, slamming his fist on the large button. The Zords were moved from their underground hanger, and out into the world via the holographic portals. The Hawk Zord flew out from its location from under Cloudsdale, the Dolphin Zord emerged from its disguise as an Equestria Cruise ship, and finally the Lion Zord left its spot from a carnival where it was disguised as a roller coaster and Ferris Wheel.

“Here goes nothing!” Sweetie said as she took to the air, landing inside her zord. Once more the Lion Zord shifted until it formed the legs, chest piece and the left arm, while the Dolphin Zord clipped into place as the right arm before finally the Hawk Zord shifted as well, clipping into place as the head. “Spike, a little help here?” Sweetie asked, knowing she couldn’t move the Megazord by herself.

“I’m sending a power disk. It’ll allow you to control the Megazord by yourself.” Spike said as the disk appeared in front of Sweetie.


Down below Applebloom and Scootaloo were closing in on the Thunder Rangers.

“Give me that ball!” Applebloom screamed as he leaped into the air at the two. Rumble stopped and turned towards the mare as Button leaped up as well.

“Don’t even try it!” The navy ranger said as he kicked the yellow ranger out of the air, landing on her back. Scootaloo kicked at Rumble, who blocked the first kick, catching the second one allowing Button to kicked her back further. “Oh no you don’t.” Rumble turned to dash away, forgetting Applebloom on the ground, who was able to flip the Thunder Ranger over.

“Heads up!” Rumble tossed Twilight over to his brother. Button placed the sphere in between himself and Scootaloo’s kick, shaking the mare inside around in pain.

“Oh! I’m so sorry Twilight!”

“I’m fine.” Button Mash rolled his eyes and tossed the sphere back towards Rumble, only for it to be intercepted by Applebloom, placing a kick into the chest of the surprised Thunder Ranger. The Pegasus placed one of his own; allowing Button to roll over Applebloom’s back, taking the sphere with him.

“It’s mine!”

“You ok?” Scootaloo asked, helping her friend up.

“Ah’m fine! Ah just wish ah knew what they meant by revenge.”


“Let’s find out!” Scootaloo said as they charged the Thunder Rangers.


At the Megazord battle Sweetie and Will were in the middle of a standoff. Will charged up the two blades coming out the the zords arms.

“Prepare to be sorry that you ever met me….” The minotaur growled before unleashing the charge right at the lone ranger in the Megazord.


“So that’s how its gonna be eh?” Sweetie groaned as the Megazord shook. “Blizzard Power!” The Megazord reached to its shoulder where the lion head was, and pulled a long rip cord, spinning the metal mane until it began firing ice charges. The blue ranger then aimed directly at the follower of Nightmare Moon until the zord went crashing down in sparks and small explosion. “That’s what I call chilling!”


Down below Scootaloo snatched the sphere away from Button, rolling away from a kick.

“Applebloom!” Scootaloo tossed the sphere towards her friend, only for Rumble to send Twilight up into the air screaming with a well-timed kick. All four rangers leaped into the air, each getting a hoof on the sphere. The four rangers landed, each kicking each other away and losing the sphere.

“Twilight!” Applebloom reached for the sphere as it rolled away, getting stuck on a rock. The two Element Rangers looked on at the Megazord battle as Will slashed with one arm, then the other before knocking Sweetie Belle down violently with a double arm slash.

“You ok Sweetie?”

“I’m fine. It’s gonna take a lot more to keep me down!” The blue ranger said, getting the Megazord back onto its feet.

“Will! Sweetie’s gonna school you!” Scootaloo shouted, supporting her team mate.

“Recess is over then!” Rumble said as he and his brother pulled out their Thunder Staffs.

“Element Blades!” The two Element Rangers pulled out their swords, before all four Rangers charged into battle. Button Mash and Applebloom collided their respective weapons several times in sparks of energy while also landing a few shots here and there.

“You’re really starting to bug me!” The yellow ranger complained. Scootaloo was firing off energy bolts from her blade; Rumble either rolling out of the way or deflecting it with his staff until he deflected one blast right into Scootaloo’s chest, knocking her down in sparks.

“This is really getting old….” At the Megazord battle Will fired a constant beam of energy at Sweetie Belle, shaking the ranger in her cockpit.

“Looks like you could use a little lift.” With the beam of energy the minotaur lifted the Megazord into the air before dropping the machine onto its back in a explosion of sparks, stomping forward to continue the on slough. The minotaur lifted a blade arm and jabbed it down onto the dolphin zord.

“Sweetie!” Scootaloo and Applebloom took their eyes off their fight to see if their friend was alright. Big mistake as the Thunder Rangers charged forward and with a slash of their Thunder Staffs knocked the two rangers over.

“Are we having fun yet?” Rumble taunted as he pulled out his blaster. “Because I am!” Firing off multiple shots the following fireball explosion sent Scootaloo and Applebloom flipping into the air before crashing down on the ground in pain.

“…..you’re friend destroyed our parents.” Button said calmly as he trotted over, taking Twilight back into his hooves.

“And now it’s payback time.” Rumble taunted as he and Button Mash began calmly to trot off in the direction of the Castle of the Two Sisters.

“They can’t be right….” Applebloom groaned, struggling to get back onto her hooves.

“It’s a lie…” Scootaloo said, using her blade to try to prop herself up.

“It’s over!” Will taunted as he stood over the fallen Megazord. “Admit it.” From inside her cockpit Sweetie’s visor on her helmet had come open as she tried to regain control. Will lowered his zord arms, and calmly lifted The Megazord up. For the second time in mere days, everything seem bleak for the rangers. “You failed.” Scootaloo could only look on helplessly at her friend. Several things were going through the rangers minds at this point.

“..please…..find Twilight.”

“We’re not coming back without her!”

Scootaloo began growling.

“I promised him….we weren’t coming back without Twilight….” The ranger growled as she slowly stood up. “And we aren’t through yet!” She charged at Applebloom who lifted the Pegasus up, spinning in place for a few rotations before throwing her friend in the direction of the stallions trotting off. Blade in hoof Scootaloo glided towards Rumble.

“Hey Thunder head!!!” Rumble turned, being completely caught off guard as Scootaloo kicked him into the air, slashing with her blade several times with sparks flying off him. Rumble groaned out as he flipped into the air badly, crashing onto the ground as Scootaloo caught Twilight.

“Rumble!” Button dashed forward to see if his brother was ok.

“I got her! Let’s go!” Scootaloo said as she and Applebloom dashed off. Sweetie looked as the two galloped off, turning her attention back to Will.

“Ok Will, you asked for it!” Using whatever the Megazord had left Sweetie was able to create some space by pushing Will’s zord back several spaces.

“Who do you think you are?!”

“I’m a big fish with a big attitude! Dolphin Blast!” Raising the dolphin arm the Megazord fired off several shots, causing small explosions on the enemy zord. “A Megazord is nothing without a few accessories. Power Sphere Five!” Sweetie pulled the disc in place, letting it drop and forming the grey sphere from out of the chest of the Megazord. The sphere opened up and formed a small grey lion. “Power Sphere Six!” The center opened again as a blue sphere came flying out, opening to form a blue turtle. The two mini zords latched on to each other, forming a gantlet gun like weapon. “Turbine Combo!” The lion shoulder revved up, powering up the weapon. The barrel began rotating quickly before unleashing a barrage of energy blast directly at Iron Will and his zord.


The zord began to spark, smoke and shake violently before falling forward in a large explosion. Unfortunately for the rangers Will evacuated the zord before it could be destroyed. Sweetie began celebrating to herself before departing the Megazord to rejoin her friends.


Applebloom and Scootaloo sprinted through the Everfree Forest, until they finally stopped for some air.

“I think we lost them…” The red ranger said, panting for air.

“Thank goodness.” Twilight said from her sphere.

“You’re alright now Twilight.” Scootaloo said happily, patting Applebloom on the back.

“Girls!” The two looked as Sweetie Belle came galloping into view. “Alright, you got her.”

“Nice work handling Will.” The earth pony said, patting Sweetie on the back.

“Um girls?” Twilight was looking over their shoulders from her sphere, and they were no longer alone.

“Mind if I cut in?!” Button said, leaping into view while striking Sweetie and Applebloom with his Thunder Staff.

“Not again!” Twilight complained as her sphere was knocked away from Scootaloo as Button began clashing his staff with Scootaloo’s blade.

“Thunderstorm Canon!” Rumble said as he put his and his brother signature weapon together, aiming down the sights at the fighting ponies. “Come on Button, get out of the way…”

“I cant!” The earth pony shouted as he kept striking the mares with his staff, knocking them down in sparks. “Take your shot! I’ll be fine!” Rumble debated if he should do this, making his decision by taking aim.

“Girls! We gotta move!” Applebloom pointed out.

“Scootaloo! Come on!”

“I’m a little busy here!” Scootaloo argued as her blade was tangled in battle with Button.

“Do it Rumble!!!!” The Pegasus took another moment to think, before pulling the trigger. The energy shot grew in size before firing directly at the four. The explosion was powerful to not only knock the four down, but was able to send Twilight’s energy sphere flying in Rumble directions. Groaning in pain as she went bouncing, Rumble calmly stopped the ball with his hoof, before picking her up.

“Miss me?”

“Not again….” The unicorn groaned, dizzy after her trip.

“Button? You alright?” Rumble called as the earth pony stood up. Groaning in pain and with smoke coming off his body, the Navy ranger limped over to his brother.

“I’m alright…..let’s go.” Rumble paused to look at the fallen Element Rangers, who were groaning in terrible pain. He locked his sights on Scootaloo who was able to roll onto her stomach.

“Last warning….stay out of our business.” The stallion said calmly as he and his brother trotted off in the direction they needed to go in.

“No…….stop…..” Scootaloo moaned weakly, losing enough strength that forced her and her friends to dimorph.

“Come back….” Sweetie called feebly after the two, knowing full well this might be the last time they ever see Twilight. The three were trying to hold in their emotions, with mixed results.

“You girls ok?” Applebloom groaned.

“No…..but I’m not through yet….”Scootaloo tried to push herself onto her hooves, only to collapse on the ground again. “Twilight needs us….” Gritting her teeth the Pegasus mare was finally able to push herself up in a standing position.


“Right behind you Scoots….” Applebloom fought the pain, helping Sweetie onto her hooves as well before the three slowly limped off in the direction of the two. They had to hurry, or else they would break Twilight’s sphere, and possibly destroy her.


Up ahead Rumble and Button Mash had demorphed as they approached the old rope bridge separating them from the long deserted castle.

“The cave is somewhere under the castle.” The Pegasus said. “We find the gem, then we end her.”

“Sounds like a plan.” Button said, agreeing.

“Please…..considering what you’re about to do.” Twilight said shaken, almost to the point of pleading them to reconsider their actions. “There are powerful forces here that Nopony can fathom.”


“Quiet you.” Rumble said, smacking the sphere lightly. “You’re gonna get what you deserve. The gem of souls will take of you.”


After making progress their limps turned into a unsteady trot.

“Button and Rumble can’t be right about Twilight…can they?” Sweetie asked uncertained.

“No way! Twilight may be a lot of things to certain ponies, but she’s the last pony I can think of that would actually commit what they say she did.” Scootaloo argued. “She taught us decency, respect, virtue!”

“We know that Scoots.” Applebloom said, rubbing her sore head. “Ah just don’t know what to do.”

“I do…” Scootaloo stopped in her tracks as the Castle of the Two Sisters came into frame. Crossing the rope bridge one at a time so it didn’t break under them, the three entered the ancient doors that once housed Celestia and her sister, before she became Nightmare Moon. “We need to find a way down below.”

“Ah heard their might’ve been a way down from the throne room.” The earth pony said as the three carefully trekked their way to the old throne room. Located behind the spot where Celestia’s throne would sat was a rickety set of stairs descending into pitch black darkness. Once more descending one at a time the three Element Rangers had finally arrived at the Spirit Caves. Hopefully they weren’t too late.

Up ahead the three noticed an eerie green glow coming from a narrow opening. Trekking on ahead Scootaloo carefully slid into the opening…

“Nononono stop!!!” She pleaded as she saw Rumble holding a green rock over his head, aimed at Twilight’s sphere. “Put it down!”

“Twilight didn’t do anything!” Sweetie said

“Just please lower rock?” Applebloom asked. Rumble gritted his teeth as Button Mash shook his head.

“Why does she mean so much to you?” The Pegasus asked annoyed. “We came to enact something she had coming for a long time.”

“You know Twilight!” Scootaloo argued. “She’s a library! Does that sound like someone that could commit murder?!”

“Nightmare Moon told us everything!” Button said loudly, silencing the three mares. “She witnessed the whole thing! Twilight destroyed our parents!”

“And you believed her?!”

“Why shouldn’t we?”

“Newsflash, Nightmare Moon isn’t exactly one of the good ponies out there!” Scootaloo argued. Rumble was conflicted. Looking at Button he made his decision.

“….We’re done talking.” Rumble raised the stone into the air, ready to strike.

“NOOOOOO!!!!” The Element Rangers screamed, charging forward to stop him, until a voice stopped all five ponies in their tracks.

“…..put it down Rumble.” The ponies looked as a figure slowly emerged from the shadows with another following closely behind. It was a grown Pegasus stallion and mare. The stallion had a dark grey coat with a black mane, while the mare had a purplish coat and messy grey mane. She also had Rumble’s eyes. The two Thunder Rangers eyes went wide in disbelief as Rumble’s lip began to quiver slightly.

“M-mom….dad?”

“How…how are you…”

“This is the Spirit Cave, we’ll be here for all eternity.” Rumble’s father said softly.

“….because of her?” Button asked, motioning to Twilight.

“No Button…” the mare said with a sad smile. “The one named Twilight Sparkle is innocent in all of this. She is not responsible for what happened to us.”

“Then….who is?” Rumble asked confused.

“The one they call….Nightmare Moon.” The two then slowly began to fade.

“Wait….wait! Come back!” Rumble shouted.

“We will always be watching you….make us proud….” The two finally disappeared from sight as the two stallions looked on heartbroken.

“Come back…..”

“Awww, tis a tragic sight. I might even shed a tear.” A new voice said. The three Element Rangers quickly turned to see a new figure entering the cave. She was a large midnight black alicorn with her starry mane flowing behind her. She was the one they had to defeat at all cost.

“It’s her…” Scootaloo said in shock.

“The Pony Rangers…..we meet at last.” Nightmare Moon taunted. “My ears were burning, were you talking about me by any chance?”

“It was you all along…..you framed Twilight for the death of their parents!” Sweetie said.

“Are you a quick one?” The alicorn taunted.

“We can finish this here and now!” Applebloom said, ready for a fight.

“Tis a good suggestion, but now is not the time. I simply want the unicorn.”

“Keep dreaming.” Scootaloo said defensively.

“If you want Twilight you’ll have to go through us first!” The alicorn thought for a moment.

“So be it!” The alicorn of the night charged her horn and fired a massive energy charge at the three. Scootaloo and her friends braced for himself when something happened that they didn’t expect. Rumble flipped over the three and blocked the attack with the Gem of Souls.

“YOU LIED TO US!!!” The Pegasus shouted in anger as the attack bounced back towards the alicorn. Nightmare Moon glowed brightly before disappearing in a violent flash of light. Silence filled the cave for several moments.

“What happened?”

“I stopped her attack with the Gem…..but…” Rumble turned and showed the three mares that the gem was now in several pieces.

“Ah think that’s bad.” Applebloom noted.

“For better or for worse the Gem cannot be destroyed.” Twilight said as her sphere began to crack. The rangers covered their eyes as the sphere exploded, allowing the unicorn to regrow to her normal size. “Ahhh….feels good to be out of there.”

“But what happened to Nightmare Moon?” Scootaloo asked.


“I’m sorry, but she isn’t gone.” Twilight explained. “She’ll be back, and more desperate than ever.”

“And we’ll be waiting.” Scootaloo said before turning to Rumble. “You know, we have a much better chance of taking on Nightmare Moon with your guys help. We’re willing to look past all that’s happened. What do you say?” The red ranger held her hoof out to Rumble. The stallion looked at it for several moments before looking at Scootaloo with sad eyes. He then slowly shook his head before he and Button Mash departed from the cave. “Guys…”

“Let them go Scootaloo. They’ve had a very rough day.” Twilight said, feeling the two stallions pain.


To save time from walking out the older unicorn mare had to group stay close together before teleporting out, and back to mobile ops, where she was quickly engulfed in a hug from Spike.

“Are you ok?!”

“I’m fine Spike, really I am. And I have something for you to do.” The mare hovered over the shattered remains of the Gem.

“It can’t be destroyed.”

“But you can send it wherever you like.” Spike though for a moment before getting what she meant. Taking a deep breath the drake let out a colume of flames, causing the shards to disappear to where ever he sent them.

“Bottom of the ocean.”

“Good, now the Gem of Souls can’t hurt anypony again.” Twilight said as the rangers loaded up for the trip home.

“She’s not through with us….is she?” Scootaloo asked.


“Nightmare Moon? No, and far from it I’m afraid.”


As the Element Rangers began their trek home, several miles away two lonely stallions were trotting along the river going out of Ponyville. Both had loaded up their saddle bags, almost as if they didn’t plan on returning.

“So how long do we plan on being gone?” Button asked.

“Why? Do you have a reason to come back?”

“….we both do.”