• Published 19th May 2013
  • 2,511 Views, 97 Comments

Pony Und Panzer! - Diceman



Cutie Mark Crusaders pilot Silly weapons of war.

  • ...
4
 97
 2,511

Chapter V: Announcements

Chapter V: Announcements

"I end my turn" Sweetie Belle said right before dropping a few cards into her trap and spell zone. "I see you're sweating Scoot's. If you give up now I won't think any less of you."

Scootaloo eyed her life-points nervously, a middling 1200 points left while Sweetie Belle remained unscathed. A mere three turns into the game and she was already both hand screwed and field screwed. She had managed to get zombie world out last turn but lacked any follow ups aside from a trap that was space typhoon-ed the second she put it down. She drew a card for her turn and studied her options intensely. She had just drawn a Marionette Mite and had a Red Eyes Zombie Dragon in her hand. She had an Allure of Darkness for draw power but would have to ditch her most powerful monster; Despair From The Dark from the game to use it.

"Looks like my losing streak is over, I'll soon be one for nine-teen." Sweetie Belle gloated as she peeked at her hand, a colossal smile on her face.

"I play Allure of Darkness." Scootaloo placed the card on the field only to hear Sweetie Belle go 'tut tut' under her breath.

"I trigger my trap card, Magic Drain." Sweetie Belle flipped over her trap card, if Scootaloo didn't discard a spell card then Sweetie Belle would stop her only hope for victory.

Scootaloo checked her hand. She did have a spare spell card but it was something that could come back to haunt her if her field card was destroyed. "I discard Terraforming to allow the use of my spell card." Scootaloo drew two cards from her deck; a Zombie Master and a Paladin Of The Cursed Dragon. Scootaloo realized at that moment that she could theoretically end the game if played right. She quickly removed her cost card for playing Allure from the game and studied the board.

She has two six samurai in play, each with 1300 and 1800 attack points and has a Command Knight in play as well.

Scootaloo discarded Marionette Mite from play to take control of Command Knight. She then tributed Command Knight to summon Red Eyes Zombie Dragon into play.

"No traps for that Sweet's?" Scootaloo asked, staring the the remaining face down trap card on the field.

"No, notta thing." Sweetie replied.

"Okay then, I attack your 1800 attack samurai." Scootaloo pointed at the card she was attacking.

"He dies and I take six hundred life points of damage." Sweetie Belle discarded the samurai to the graveyard.

"I activate my dragons power, which lets me special summon any monster it kills in battle to my side of the field if it's a zombie and since zombie world is in play..."

"Yeah, I know, I know." Sweetie Belle pulled the samurai out of the graveyard and handed it to Scootaloo whom set it in attack mode.

"Next I will..." Scootaloo paused and looked at the field. The Command Knight can be mean but it's power was worthless as long as everything stays a zombie from her field card. The other weaker monster had a nasty side effect, if another six samurai was anywhere on her side of the field it could attack her directly, costing her the game.

"I attack the samurai with 1300 attack points with my 1800 attack point samurai." Scoots pointed at Sweetie Belle's weaker but dangerous samurai.

"Oh well, another 500 life points lost." Sweetie Belle added the samurai to the graveyard.

"That's all your attacks, is it my turn yet?" Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo studied the field and her hand one more time. "Yeah it's your turn."

Sweetie Belle drew her card, a sly grin running across her face. "I play Dark Hole."

Scootaloo sighed, sweat running down her face. If she had another summon in her hoof then this game was over. Scootaloo slowly discarded her monsters to the graveyard, Sweetie Belle doing the same.

"I activate Jar of Greed." Sweetie Belle flipped over her remaining card in the trap and spell zone to reveal that it was indeed, a Jar of Greed. Sweetie Belle drew two more cards, summoning a monster with 1000 attack to the field and setting a card in the spell and trap zone.

"I attack you directly for a thousand life points. You only have two hundred left. I can almost taste victory." Sweetie Belle peeked at her face down card. "I end my turn by the way."

Scootaloo drew another card from her deck and glanced at the field. The card she drew was a Bait Doll magic card, if the card in the trap zone was the trap she thought it was then this could be her only chance for victory.

"I summon Zombie Master and then discard Paladin of the Cursed Dragon to the graveyard to special summon him to the field using Zombie Master's power."

"Wait, you can do that?" Sweetie asked.

"Yep, as long as another monster is in my graveyard when I do it. In this case it's Marionette Mite." Scootaloo replied.

Scootaloo moved her monster onto the field and looked at her hand.

If that's what I think it is then this game is over, if not then I just continue as normal...and probably lose.

"I play Bait Doll and target your face down card in the spell and trap zone."

Sweetie Belle's jaw dropped as she slowly flipped the card over. "Y-you force activated backs to the wall...I only have one hundred life points now." Sweetie Belle stared dismally at her graveyard, the only monster summoned by her trap was the direct attacking 1300 samurai. "I guess this means I lose again right?"

"Ya know what Sweetie, no. You win." Scootaloo set her hoof on top of her deck, signifying that she gives up.

"B-but all you have to do is attack for the win, I have nothing to stop you." Sweetie Belle said as she pointed out the obvious.

"Yes but I entirely luck sacked that Bait Doll card. Had that been anything else I would have lost. Besides winning isn't everything." Scootaloo felt the warm embrace of Sweetie Belles hug knocking her back.

"Your the best, I was being all haughty and unsportspony like. You didn't have to let me win." Sweetie Belle said as she broke the hug.

"Nah, winning isn't everything."

If Rainbow Dash heard me saying that she would disown me as her sister in a heartbeat Scootaloo smiled as she thought crossed her mind. Nah.

The door of the clubhouse opened up and Apple Bloom walked inside, closing the door behind her. "Heya, there's news that Celestia is gonna make an announcement today in town square. Y'all want to come?"

"Is it related to this whole war thing?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Either that or she found a new place to get her mane done and wants to share it with everypony." Apple Bloom replied sarcastically.

"Oh, I wonder if it's my sister doing her hair!"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stared at Sweetie Belle for a moment, Scootaloo lifting a hoof and opening her mouth but instead putting it down and shaking her head in disappointment.

"You know AB, we have these things called radios. Celestia could just forgo the personal touch of making announcements publicly to every city and just put them over the airwaves." Scootaloo said as she pointed to a little box radio in the corner of the clubhouse.

"I know what ya mean Scoots but only a handful of folks out here in the country have them. I mean the Boombox from the other day cost a hoof and a leg to buy, not countin those unicorn charged battery things."

"Those things make you so tired after charging them up. At least they make me tired, somepony like Twilight or my sister wouldn't even be bothered by it." Sweetie Belle added.

"Anywho ya want to come to town with me?"

Scootaloo looked around the room for something else better to do. She wasn't all to interested in hearing how much worse this whole war business could get but besides playing Yu-gi-mon or listening to the radio there wasn't much to do. I could just play Sweetie again but she's no challenge and I don't want to make her quit by winning all the time. Scootaloo thought to herself as she stared at her deck.

"Oh, I know. Scoots we can listen to whatever Celestia has to announce and then get some shakes at Sugar Cube Corner." Sweetie Belle suggested energetically.

"No can do Sweetie, I don't get an allowance for a week or so still." Scootaloo said glumly.

"Double fer me. The money for the family is short for another couple weeks, at least until growing season is in full swing." Apple Bloom added.

Sweetie Belle tapped her hoof on her cheek. "Hey I got it! We can ask my big sister for some bits."

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom looked at each other with their eyebrows raised.

"No offense but I don't think ponies just give away bits, least of all your sister." Apple Bloom said.

"Yeah, she's right. She may be the element of generosity and all but she doesn't exactly live up to her title." Scootaloo added.

"Are you trying to say my big sister is stingy?"

"Well...maybe. Have you ever seen her pay spike for his services?" Scootaloo pointed out.

"She pays him next to nothing. I seen him diggin and diggin for hours on end just to get one piddling opal for his efforts. She takes advantage of Spike being in love with her and that's just plain taint right."

Sweetie Belle seemed lost for words. "Wait...Spike is in love with my sister?"

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes and Scootaloo giggled to herself.

"Little late to the party there eh Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo teased.

"A lady is never late to the party, she is only fashionably late" Sweetie Belle said as she stood up and put her hoof on her chest, her eyes closed and her tail flicked back in a posh manner. "Besides, if there was a party nopony bothered to invite me."

Apple Bloom hit herself in the face with her own hoof. "Sweetie...she means you are late noticing the obvious attraction between Spike and Rarity."

"There was a party for that...I'm kidding, I'm kidding." Sweetie belle said as she watched Scootaloo and Apple Bloom roll their eyes. "Anyways, we can just offer to wash Rarities dirt bank for her. I mean Shakes are only a bit each right?"

"Dirt bank?" Scootaloo and Apple Bloom said in unison.

"Yeah, dirt bank. It's a little jar that she tosses any bits into that she deems too dirty to spend. After it builds up for a month or so the buys some kinda cleaning solution and cleans them all off before spending them. We can do the work for her, it shouldn't take too long.

"Or you know I can treat my fellow crusaders out." A strangely Manehattan accent came from outside the clubhouse.

Apple bloom rushed to the window and surely enough Babs Seed was outside. "Hey y'all it's my favorite cousin, Babs ." Apple Bloom opened the club house door and lowered the wood plank ramp that led up to the front door. She quickly ran down the plank and hugged her cousin tightly.

"Babs, nopony told me you were comin down to visit."

"My birthday was a couple months ago. I'm old enough to ride the trains solo without any chaperones or any of that stuff, still get the occasional conductor giving me a hard time though." Babs Seed waved to Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle as they walked down the plank.

"So whats this about treating us out?" Scootaloo asked.

"Well, I remember that one time I was here I kinda stole you guys shakes, so I figured can replace em. Besides, it's either that or demolishing Sweetie Belle in yu-gi-mon for the next few hours."

"Sure, why not. Fair warning though, Pinkie Pie goes overboard with the chocolate if you get that particular shake."

The group walked out past the east field and out the front gate. On the way Apple Bloom informed Big Mac of where they were going, the older brother nodding in approval before trotting away with a cart full of hay in tow. When they reached town Apple Bloom noticed that most of the ponies in town were on typical high alert.

Twilight was busy directing ponies to their duties, The cakes were in square setting up a brunch for the Princess, Rarity was running around town fussing at anypony she deemed a "fashion disaster" , causing Sweetie Belle to hang her head in shame as they walked by and Fluttershy was hovering in the air, conducting birds in song for Celestia's arrival. High above town Rainbow Dash, cloud kicker and her sister were busy keeping the skies clear.

"Okay, which one of you failed basic English class?" Twilight yelled as she pointed to a banner that had 'welcome Princess Celest' on it.

"Twilight, the banner is not big enough for her full name" one of the mares holding up the banner complained.

"Then change the welcome to Hi, it will fit that way." Twilight waved at another pony, trying to flag them down as the CMC passed her.

"What's up with all the hub-bub?" Babs Seed asked.

"A announcement pertaining to the war is going to be held soon. It will probably be held in Manehattan as well after she is done here." Scootaloo said as she ducked to avoid the one of the more clumsy decorators.

"I remember that! We had all kinds of weird rationing things goin on not too long ago. They shut down the library, the summer schools and even the public pools. It was crazy." Babs Seed explained.

"Same thing happened here and probably around most of Equestria." Apple Bloom added.

The group stopped right in front of Sugar Cube corner to find a sign on the front door that read 'closed for a special event' on the front door.

"I guess the cakes didn't have anypony to watch shop while they were busy setting up?" Sweetie Belle said glumly.

"Hai girls!" A blur of dark and light pink popped out the front window, knocking Scootaloo and Apple bloom on their backs and making Babs Seed and Sweetie Belle duck.

"Pinkie Pie, are you out of your cottin pickin mind?" Apple bloom yelled as she got up and dusted herself off.

"You know, ponies have asked me that before and every time I come up with the same response; if I had a mind to lose then I lost it a long time ago. At least that's what grandpa used to say, right before he drank himself unconscious." Pinkie Pie arched her head to look at the door. "Hey, I told them I could watch the foals AND run the shop. I mean I am a very responsible mare nothing ever goes-"

Pinkie Pie Face contorted as a loud banging sound came from the back of Sugar Cube corner, followed by the sound of pans tumbling over.

"I'll...be right back." Pinkie Pie smiled nervously as her head darted back in the window.

"So, ya reckon the twins got into sumthin?" Apple bloom asked.

"Knowing those two, more like destroyed something." Scootaloo added with a giggle.

"So, does anypony else find it odd that they left the most irresponsible pony in Ponyville to look after two foals by herself?" Babs Seed asked as she tried to peer in the window to find out what was going on.

"I know what ya mean Babs. Pinkie Pie is nice and all but not always one hundred percent there. I mean puttin her with foals is like putting a cereal killer in a warehouse full of corn flakes. It won't end well."

Sweetie Belle raised her hoof to correct Apple Bloom about the proper definition of the word 'serial killer' when Pinkie Pie popped out of a nearby mailbox, covered in what looked like flour.

"P-pinkie...why are you covered in flour?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Muffin button?" Pinkie Pie replied, grinning ear to ear.

"But- I, that doesn't-" Sweetie Belle suddenly had a orange leg over her shoulder

"Sweetie, her excuse is reasons. Just...reasons."

"But, Scoots it-" Scootaloo put a hoof in Sweetie Belle's mouth.

"We will try and break her logic down latter, for now I want to get me a strawberry shake." Scootaloo looked at Pinkie Pie whom was licking the flour off her leg, trying to get a taste of it. "Can you open the shop temporarily? Just for the four of us?"

Pinkie Pie looked both ways, licked her hoof and stuck it into the air. "Okie-dokie-loki!" She said cheerfully as she opened the door.

"Scoots, my heads hurts." Sweetie Belle whined.

"Try and push it out of your head, thinking about it isn't good for you."

"Yeah, I mean you know screwball right?" Apple Bloom asked.

"That one pony that is constantly in and out of the mental ward in the hospital? The one that sometimes barks in the night?"

"Yeah, how did you think she got that way?" Scootaloo teased.

"Notta clue." Sweetie Belle replied, shrugging.

"The story goes that one day she tried to contemplate how Pinkie Pie's mind worked. She slowly stalked her around town, jotting down notes and keeping her in view at all times to keep track of her behavior."

Apple Bloom slid up beside Sweetie Belle and continued Scootaloo's story. "When she finally got all the evidence she needed to make a th-thorry"

"You mean theory?" Sweetie Belle corrected.

"Yeah, that word. When she tried to make a theory as to how Pinkie Pies mind worked, she snapped. None of the notes made any sense."

"Oh, a few of them kinda did. I do have a habit of just popping out of nowhere and occasionally ignoring gravity." Pinkie Pie had popped out of a nearby bush holding a notepad in her hoof and a pen behind her ear. "But I learned those tricks right after I created Equestria, so it wasn't within her silly mortal mind to understand it."

Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Babs Seed and Apple Bloom stood there for a moment, dumbfounded.

"What in the hay-"

"Cheese waffles!" Pinkie Pie jumped over the confused fillies and headed to a cart that was rolling down the street. After a few moments of haggling with the colt pushing the cart Pinkie Pie returned with a basket full of what looked like cheese dust covered waffles around her neck.

"You gals outta try these, they are so good." Pinkie Pie grabbed one in her teeth, tossed it in the air and gulped it down in a single bite.

"Ms. Pie, they sell those in my hometown for a fortune. How did you afford so many at once?" Babs Seed said as she pointed to the cart as it rolled away, nearly empty.

"Oh, I gave him six bits and a promise of my special BJ."

Babs Seed had a look of pure horror on her face, a look that Pinkie didn't fail to notice.

"What? What's wrong with offering to make someone a jar of my special berry jam?" Pinkie Pie scratched her head.

"N-nothing Ms. Pie, thought you meant something else." Babs Seed said as she blushed.

"Okie Dokie, and please call me Pinkie. everypony else does." Pinkie Pie sat on the ground and pulled the pencil out of from behind her ear. "So, what will you girls be having today?"

"We want ummm... A chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shake. I dunno what flavor Babs likes though" Apple Bloom turned around to Babs Seed, motioning her to come forward and put in her order.

"Oh, do you have mint chocolate chip shakes here by any chance?" Babs Seed said expectantly.

"I think we have that flavor. We also have really weird flavors that no pony ever orders."

Babs Seed arched her head curiously. "Like what kind of flavors?"

"Oh, I'm glad you asked. We have broccoli flavored, spicy glue flavor, boiled boot flavor and last weeks old eggs flavor."

Babs Seed and the others cringed, Sweetie Belle was bent over, nearly dry heaving in disgust. Scootaloo looked as if she actually tasted one of the mentioned flavors.

"Well, anyways take a seat at one of the booths inside. I'll make those shakes up in a jiffy." Pinkie Pie trotted cheerfully into the store, the members of the CMC close behind. The fillies took their seats in a small booth in the front, Babs Seed and Apple Bloom on one side and Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle on the other.

"So Babs Seed, how has your vacation been going?" Scootaloo asked as she watched Pinkie Pie prepare the shakes behind the counter.

"Not too bad, our arcade shut down though, owner got sick."

"That's odd, the arcade owner here in Ponyville got sick to. You think somethings going around?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Eh, it's unicorn flu, some ponies forget to get shots for it every year."

"Babs Seed, I never heard of that kinda illness before, is it dangerous?" Apple Bloom asked.

Babs Seed put her hoof up to her chin and looked absentmindedly at the ceiling for a moment. "What I heard in school is that unicorns get really bad headaches for the first week or so and then they take some medicine but can't cast spells for a month while they are on it." Babs Seed Looked at Scootaloo. "It's much worse for Earth Ponies and Pegasi though. If either of those kinds of ponies gets infected they have to have a unicorn take it off them or it can cause serious problems."

"Like?"

"I remember the teacher not going into specifics but she did say that both parties are out of it and bedridden for a month either way. Teach is real upfront about those things so it must be real bad if she didn't tell us all the details."

Pinkie Pie walked up to the table and set down a tray containing four extra large jumbo sized shakes.

"So, how much do I owe you Ms Pie?" Babs Seed asked as she fiddled with her saddle bag.

"Oh, only your immortal soul or a game-sphere station four." Pinkie replied, an evil looking grin on her face.

"Wait...what?"

"Just kidding. It's on the house, I haven't been able to find Gummy and knowing him there's an eighty percent chance that he's-" Just then a purple eyed alligator popped out of one of the shakes, licking the whipped cream from its face.

"Silly Gummy, you know your allergic to minty things."Pinkie Pie said as she removed the alligator from the shake. Sure enough, Gummy swelled up like a balloon within moments of his body hitting the air.

"Silly gator. Remember the last time you bit Lyra on her tail, you swelled up like a blimp for days!"

Apple Bloom looked at Sweetie Belle who was desperately trying to hold back a question and instead kept herself busy slurping down her shake.

"Ummm, Pinkie Pie, Lyra isn't well, mint flavored no more than I'm apple flavored." Apple Bloom realized her mistake as she blurted out those words. Sweetie Belle was already busy covering her ears to avoid the incoming explanation.

"I dunno, she is mint colored so logic would dictate that she must be mint flavored as well." Pinkie Pie managed to pull out a corn cob pipe and a Sherlock Holmes looking hat from practically nowhere. "It's elementary my dear fillies."

Scootaloo raised her hoof to speak but nothing came out but a half hearted blurp followed by silence.

"Ms Pie, why are you so ....Ehh whats the polite word for it, eccentric?" Babs Seed asked, much to the dismay of Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"Oh that? Personally, I blame Ritt Momney." Pinkie Pie said as she turned and walked away from the table, carrying Gummy in her mouth by his swollen tail.

Babs Seed raised a hoof only to have it quickly swatted down by Sweetie Belle. "Don't you dare, I don't need my brains scrambled by the end of the day becuase of your curiosity. Pinkie Pie will be Pinkie pie, just leave it at that."

Despite the size of the shakes the fillies finished them quickly, either from wanted to get away from Pinkie's hijinks or from curiosity from Celestia's pending announcement. As they left the shop Pinkie Pie waved at them.

"If you see Ritt Momney tell him his magical underwear isn't as magical as he advertised and that it chafes!"

The fillies just smiled meekly back at Pinkie and kept on walking.

"Ya think we will ever understand that mare cuz?"

"No idea AB, I do find her a bit on the silly side though. I mean she's an adult right? How come she's always so...so-"

"Bubbly?" Scootaloo interjected.

"Is bubbly even a word?" Babs Seed asked. The group turned their heads at Sweetie Belle as if somehow waiting for confirmation of correction from her. Sweetie Belle on the other hoof just looked agitated by all the stares.

"What do I look like, a dictionary?" Sweetie Belle huffed.

The three other fillies looked at each other and then back to Sweetie Belle.

"Yes" they all said in unison.

"Oh for crying out-"

"HERE YE! HERE YE!" A thunderous voice boomed out over the town, making the CMC members cover their ears. "The announcement of Princess Celestia will begin in just a few minutes. All towns folks are to convene in the town square at once!" The voice quickly faded by was followed by a minor yell not to long after.

"Luna, you're at eleven and need to turn it down to seven!"

"I AM SOR- I mean I am sorry, Twilight Sparkle." Luna replied.

"Does she mean everypony?" Babs Seed asked.

"I guess so, but what is Luna doing here? She's usually not involved with these kinds of announcement kagingers." Apple Bloom said.

"May as well see what's up. Bet you two bit's things got worse though." Sweetie Belle said.

"You're on Sweetie. Luna is the best princess, she will figure a way out of this mess, just you watch." Scootaloo said confidently.

"Either way we should probably get there while we can still see what's goin on." Apple Bloom said as she pointed to the crowd headed toward town hall. The group made their way to town hall to find that the crowd had already reached critical mass, there was hardly any leg room let alone anyway to see what was going on.

"Can you see anything Babs?" Apple Bloom yelled over the low roar of the crowd.

Babs Seed was trying to weave in and out of the crowd, trying to find a way to the front or a higher ground over all of the other taller ponies. "Notta thing AB, are Sweetie and Scoots havin any luck?"

Above the crowd Scootaloo was busy flapping her wings as fast as she could, barely eight or so feet off the ground. "I see Celestia walking up to the podium. Luna's right b-behind her." Scootaloo began to slowly lose altitude until she felt something grab her by the waist.

"Huh?" Scootaloo looked up to see her adopted sister, Rainbow Dash staring back at her.

"What's up squirt?" Rainbow Dash asked with a smile.

"I guess I am, well kinda. I guess I'm less up and more barely hovering." Scootaloo said while smiling meekly back at Rainbow Dash.

"Don't sweat it kid. Gotta learn how to walk before you can run, unless you're me of course I was out of the crib running AND flying. Anyways what are you trying to do up here anyways?"

"We are trying to get a good view of the podium but there are too many ponies crowded around the stage to get a good view."

Rainbow Dash looked at the crowd and then to a nearby building with a flat roof top. "I have an idea." Rainbow Dash flew over to the building and let Scootaloo off on top of the roof. "Be right back." She then swopped in and grabbed Babs Seed under one leg, Apple Bloom under another and had Sweetie Belle riding on her back. She quickly set each of them down and took up a spot next to them on a nearby cloud.

"How did you carry all of us?" Babs Seed asked.

"I'm pure concentrated awesome, that's how. " Rainbow Dash said proudly.

"Thanks big sis."

"No problem squirt."

Scootaloo looked out over the edge of the building. The crowd below was much larger than she had anticipated. Not only were there ponies from all around Ponyville but some ponies from Appleloosa, Hoofington and a few folks from Canterlot as well. Scootaloo mentally started to count the amount of ponies in town when the crowd went dead silent. Princes Celestia slowly stepped up to the podium, her sister Luna at her right side and Mayor Mare to her left.

Celestia cleared her voice and spoke into the microphone. "Citizens of Ponyvile, I have come to you to report the latest news concerning the war declaration made by Queen Walarah not too long ago."

Ponies in the crowd began to speak in hushed tones to each other for a few moments before settling down again for the Princess to continue her speech.

"I have good news and even better news. The good news is that Walarah has called off any possibility of violent conflict."

The crowd cheered, some of the pegasi even doing cartwheels in the air in celebration. After a few moments of cheering Celestia raised a hoof to calm the crowd.

"The better news is they have challenged us to a contest of engineering and skill for rights to the northern fields in a winner take all format. As my sister Luna was put in charge of the military during the possible war I will allow her the pleasure of leading us to victory and to explain the rules of engagement." Celestia stepped away from the podium and Luna stepped forward holding a notebook. She set the note book on the podium and magicked a pair of reading glasses onto her face.

"After much deliberation we decided it would a contest of both design and skill and therefore will be using pre-built wooden mockups of steel titans, a weapon of legend."

The crowd went dead silent, only Lyra Heartstrings in the back of the crowd had the faintest idea of what Luna was talking about, her ramblings irritating her best friend Bonbon.

"Ms. heartstrings can clarify on this later if you wish to speak to her on these legends. As for the machines themselves they are driven on a purified form of magic that is siphoned from a unicorn and are built with wood glazed over with a sugar based coating."

Scootaloo couldn't help but giggle. "Great that means there's a eighty percent chance Pinkie Pie will eat them now."

"Ahem" Luna stared up at Scootaloo for a moment before continuing. "The rules are the following; those that wish to compete in this competition are to sign up at the mayors office. You may sign up either alone of in groups containing no more than five ponies. The loners will be put into groups of five at a later date."

Luna briefly adjusted her reading glasses. "After teams are separated there will be a battle royale if they're more than fifteen teams per city, we do not expect this to happen in any of the more rural locales of Equestria but we do expect this from city locations such as Fillydelphia and Manehattan where the population density is much higher. After teams have been formed each one will receive design of their choice from the blueprints we have on hoof as well as a full wooden mockup of said vehicle."

The low roar of the crowd started up again but was quickly halted by Luna raising her hoof. "Furthermore each team will receive a striped of no more than one thousand bits for armament, testing and design change purposes. After a month each team will be pitted against their own peers for testing purposes with the actual real game to begin a week later. The teams will be pitted against other teams in Equestria with the top three teams of each city going on to the finals."

"How many teams will there be on each side?" One of the fillies in the front row of the crowd spoke up.

"There will be fifteen teams with one vehicle each team on both sides. Battles will last upwards of twenty-four hours. Top three of the winning team move on to the finals. However there may be situations where multiple teams score the same, in which case tie breaker games will be played." Luna looked out into the crowd, one of the ponies in the back was jumping up, trying to get her attention.

"You have a question young mare?" Luna asked.

"Yeah, how does the scoring system work?"

Luna smiled. "The system works as follows; your vehicle is considered out of the game if its weapons systems and engine are both non-operational. Points are awarded for the killing blow to the vehicle based on how many hours it would take a professional engineering team to repair the vehicle. For every hour the killing team gains one point. However disabling a enemy vehicle isn't the only way to win." Luna flipped the page in her notebook. "Competitors that manage to capture and hold strategic towers will earn one point per minute held. Scouts that report locations of enemies via radio will get one point per enemy spotted and another point for every minute the enemies movements stay spotted, also scouts will receive half the points from any damage inflicted upon the vehicle if they are spotting for an artillery strike."

Luna took a deep breath and turned the page in her notebook. "The battle may end prematurely if one team holds all four capture points for more than six hours or all enemy vehicles are destroyed or disabled. Are there any questions?"

The crowd almost exploded with sound as each pony tried to get their question in.

"Good, I like to hear that you are all enthusiastic about these terms. I however, will not be answering questions. Mayor Mare will be handling all of those in written formant from her offices." Luna picked up her notebook and lifted the reading glasses off her face. She turned to Mayor Mare and bowed, the mayor returned the favor before walking up to the podium herself.

"Some of you may be wondering if this competition is mandatory, that it is somehow like the old draft system of centuries past. I assure you this is not the case, all participants will be voluntary in nature and any pressuring from officials is strictly prohibited." Mayor Mare adjusted her glasses. "I will take three questions from the audience, the rest must be submitted to my office."

A hoof shot into the air. "Honorable Mayor, what kinds of weapons do these things use?"

"I'm glad you asked. These "things" are called tanks, they fire projectiles at each other with a weapon called a gun."

Ponies in the audience began to whisper to one another until another hoof shot into the air.

"Mayor, I remember these gun things in school. There were horrible lethal weapons used for killing. Why would you allow such a thing in what sounds like a friendly competition?"

Mayor Mare adjusted her collar before speaking. "While it is true that the original weapons were used for killing these variants will be loaded with only sugar based weaponry. Ammunition such as pies, candy corn, cakes and the like. The spell we place on each contestant makes any items containing sugar just bounce off of them."

Scootaloo turned to Sweetie Belle a strange gleam in her eye. "You hear that, we can build things!"

"Scoots, you're not thinking what I think you are thinking?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Scootaloo raised her hoof and shouted, within moments all the ponies in town had their eyes on her as Mayor Mare pointed to her.

"Yes, Scootaloo?"

"I was wondering, are there any age restrictions on this competition. I would really enjoy signing up." Scootaloo finished with a smile on her face.

Some of the audience below couldn't help but laugh and it took some time before Mayor Mare managed to calm them down.

"Now, now. You should all admire this young filly, not even of age yet and wants to protect Equestrian lands. As for your question Scootaloo I do not believe we allow underage-" Luna walked up beside Mayor Mare and whispered in her ear.

"I stand corrected. There is not a current age limit on signing up but there will be in a moment." Mayor Mare turned to Luna, both of them whispering to one another. After a few intense minutes where Mayor Mare almost yelled, she turned back to the podium and loosened her collar."

"Luna and me cannot seem to see eye to eye on this matter so we came up with a compromise; any underage ponies signing up for this event must have either expressed parental or guardian permission AND have at least one adult pony supervising either the construction of or operation of their chosen vehicle." Mayor Mare turned to Luna who nodded in approval.

"That will be all the questions for now. My office will take any further questions in writing." Mayor Mare stepped away from the podium and Celestia stepped forward, nodding her head respectfully.

"I do hope that the spirit of competition is strong with the citizens of Ponyville and hope to see many of you sign up enthusiastically and not out of any moral obligations of duty. This concludes the announcements for today, please feel free to partake in the snacks that the cake family has so graciously offered for this event." Celestia stepped down from the podium and walked toward Luna.

"I do hope this works out. The announcement in Fillydelphia this morning was a bit on the near-rioting side of things." Celestia said.

"Only becuase there was only one signup office and thousands of ponies trying to get in all at once. You should have known your subjects love you and Equestria more than anything." Luna replied with a grin.

"Kinda wish they didn't as much, kinda gets tedious acting like an over glorified mom sometimes."

"You even have the hips for it." Luna said snidely as she followed Celestia off the stage.

"I do not! Are you calling me fat little sister?"

"Okay then, I dare you not to partake in any cake products that the cake family has put out. Vegetables only." Luna said as she walked by Celestia, heading right for the cake.

"Not a chance Luna, call me fat all you want, their cake is too good to pass up." Celestia zipped past Luna and began to slice herself a piece of chocolate cake.

"Pfft, you're such a fatty sometimes big sis." Luna teased as she cut herself a piece of cake. "Then again I guess I can't exactly hold the high ground here. Sis?"

Celestia's looked up, her mouth full of cake as if she ate it in a single bite.

Luna rolled her eyes. "Never-mind what I said."

Above the town the town the CMC members were slowly being lifted off the roof and onto the ground by Rainbow Dash. As Scootaloo was picked up by the waist she looked up to Rainbow Dash and asked. "So big sis, you gonna sign up?"

Rainbow Dash set Scootaloo on the ground. "Are you kidding me? Of course I'm going to sign up! I live for competition."

Scootaloo puffed her wings out pridefully. "I'm gonna sign up too. We will get our there and show those griffons how it's done."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa there squirt, what to you mean by 'we'?" Rainbow Dash said.

"I mean I'm gonna sign up with you on your team." Scootaloo explained.

"Yeah, no. You heard what the Mayor said. You need parental permission to do such a thing and I doubt your parents would allow it. Besides, it's probably still going to be dangerous out there and the last thing I want is my little sis getting hurt." Rainbow Dash nudged up against Scootaloo. "I know ya wanna show everyone what you got but you still have a lot of years to live, the last thing I want is for you to get hurt or perish the thought, those years cut short."

"But, Rainbow-" Scootaloo pleaded.

"Sorry squirt, but my answer is no." Rainbow's normally cheerful and determined face was bunched up in a scowl as she said those words.

"Okay sis. Can I at least help with any mechanical work?" Scootaloo suggested.

"Eh, I don't see why not. At least that part isn't dangerous. I could use some help learning how the things operate as well, I don't think Celestia thought everything through and I bet they don't have a user manual." Rainbow Dash said snidely as she watched Celestia eat yet another piece of cake.

"Awesome. Can the other crusaders help out as well?"

"Sure, why not, but make sure their parents know what they are doing first okay?" Rainbow Dash replied.

Scootaloo nodded and ran off to catch up with her friends.

"You're just gonna make her sit and watch while you do everything aren't you?" Twilight Sparkle asked as she walked up beside Rainbow Dash.

"Heh, busted eh? Not entirely true, I was gonna let her fetch me tools." Rainbow Dash laughed halfheartedly while Twilight Sparkle glared at her.

"Oh well, maybe they will learn something from all of this." Twilight said dejectedly.

"That Celestia is a bit of a fatty?" Rainbow Dash replied as she pointed to Celestia getting into a cake fight with Luna.

"Yes, that Celestia is a fat-" Twilight Sparkle stopped herself. "Hey!"

Rainbow Dash flew into the sky rolling in laughter as Twilight stood there, blowing her mane out of her face. "Blasted prankster."

***Elsewhere***

"Hmmnmmm, Yes. I understand. Many pony are signing up for this silly competition. You want me to begin plan B? Yes? Okay then." A pony in a red cloak pulled his hoof away from his collar and stared at the town of Ponyville from a distance.

"They will never know what hit them."