• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 3,304 Views, 1,000 Comments

A New Dragon in the Crystal Empire - Vedues



Ponies and dragons are living together in peace now. You know, other than the army of dragons trying to conquer the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
16
 1,000
 3,304

Chapter 25

Hearth’s Warming Eve had always been special to Fluttershy. Maybe it was because she sometimes wished she had been born an earth pony. Maybe it was because she had married a dragon. Maybe it was because she bore the power of one of the Elements of Harmony. Whatever the case, she loved the idea of taking an evening to celebrate friendship and unity between all creatures.

The Apple family’s front room was just a little crowded with Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, Angel Bunny, and all four Crusaders, but it was the happy kind of crowded. Pinkie would have been there too, but she was going with the Cakes to the Hearth’s Warming Eve Pageant.

Fluttershy was propped up against a small table, standing on her hind legs as she knitted with a combination of hooves and wings, pausing every now and then to sip from a large mug of apple cider.

Rarity sat at the same table, using magic to help knit the last of the presents they would be sending to the Crystal Empire the next morning.

Twilight sat opposite Rarity and was busy working preservation enchantments into the gifts they had already completed.

Fluttershy paused for a moment to look out the window. Snow was still coming down, coating the apple orchards in a blanket of white flakes. Despite the cold outside, warmth filled the room as the fireplace crackled merrily, and a pile of presents was stacked in the far corner of the room. It was almost a perfect vision of Hearth’s Warming Eve.

Even Angel Bunny was getting into the spirit of things, sitting in Whisper’s lap as the dark green wyrm stroked the fur on his head. The orange jacket that Sweetie Belle had knitted for him—with some help from Rarity—looked positively adorable on his small frame, especially with the mug of hot cocoa in his paws.

Mouth-watering scents from the kitchen revealed that Applejack and Granny Smith were still hard at work preparing a feast for them all. It was just a shame that Fluttershy’s stomach was hurting again. She resolved to eat a least a little bit of food anyway. It just smelled too delicious to pass up.

A content sigh escaped Fluttershy’s lips as she stood there, idly listening to the Crusaders talk about what they were hoping to get when they opened their presents. For perhaps the first time since leaving that dark cave beneath the Crystal Empire, she felt truly happy.

If Cliff were there, the moment would have been perfect, but at least his letter that morning had mentioned a large celebration being held in the Empire. Hopefully he was enjoying himself.

A knock at the door made all of them look up.

“AB, can ya get that?” Applejack called from the kitchen. “It’s probably Silver Linin’ comin’ back from pickin’ up her husband.”

“Sure, Sis,” Apple Bloom called back. She got off the couch, moved to the door, and pulled it open. “C’mon in, both a you. It’s freezin’ out there.”

Silver Lining stepped inside, wearing a beautiful blue dress that was studded with tiny sapphires and enchanted to protect its wearer from the cold. Fluttershy knew, because she had been there when Rarity made it. “Apple Bloom, remember what we talked about with formal manners.”

“Oh, sorry.” Apple Bloom bowed lightly. “Madam Silver Linin’, Sir Sunrise, welcome to our home.”

“Much better.” She stepped to the side, making room for her husband.

Sunrise came inside next, wearing a brown winter jacket that complemented his orange coat and red mane. “Thank you for inviting me.”

“No proble-” Apple Bloom looked at Silver Lining. “I mean, it was our pleasure.”

Silver Lining smiled approvingly. “Good. Remember, formality is a way of showing respect, but it is also a way of earning it.”

Apple Bloom nodded.

Meanwhile, Sunrise hurried over to Fluttershy and pulled her into a hug. “Oh, Flutters, it’s so nice to see you again! How are you feeling? Are you getting enough to eat?”

“Dear,” Silver Lining stepped up behind him, “she can only answer one question at a time, and I’ve made certain that she is eating well, at least.”

Apple Bloom joined them as well, extending a hoof to Sunrise. “I can take yer coat, if you want.”

“Oh, I forgot to take it off.” Sunrise’s cheeks flushed red. “I’m sorry. That was rude of me.” He took his coat off. “I’ll hang it up, if you don’t mind showing me where, that is.”

“No need to worry, the coat rack’s right over here.” Apple Bloom led him back toward the door.

Silver Lining watched him go with an amused look on her face. “Hurry back so that I can introduce you to everyone.”

“You’re right,” Sunrise said, hesitating halfway to the coat rack. “I’m sorry, just give me a moment, please.”

“And stop apologizing, dear.” Silver Lining shook her head, smiling slightly.

“Were you waiting in Ponyville long?” Rarity asked. “I hope that dress was warm enough.”

“Sunrise’s chariot arrived shortly after I did,” Silver Lining said, “and the dress held up admirably.”

“I wish you would allow me to refund at least some of your purchase,” Rarity said. “Consider it a family discount, if you will.”

“Quality work deserves full price.” Silver Lining glanced back at her husband, who had just rejoined them. “There you are.” She turned to the Crusaders. “Apple Bloom, Whisper, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, allow me to introduce my husband, Sir Sunrise. Sunrise, meet Apple Bloom, Whisper, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. These are the fillies who are helping Fluttershy with her recovery.”

The Crusaders all exchanged greetings with Sunrise.

“Although,” Silver Lining looked at Whisper, “may I ask why you are here? Fluttershy hardly needs a wyrm around tonight, when she should be able to relax.”

Stunned silence filled the room as jaws everywhere dropped.

Whisper cringed. “I-I c-can leave, if it w-would help.” Without even waiting for a response, she lifted Angel Bunny out of her lap and held him out to Sweetie Belle.

The sad look on all of their faces spurred Fluttershy into action. She moved forward and wrapped her wings around the young dragoness, preventing her from getting up. “Whisper, please stay. I really want you to be here.”

“A-are you sure?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“O-okay.” Whisper hugged her back. “T-thank you.”

Meanwhile, Angel was squeaking out some rather colorful suggestions for Silver Lining.

“I won’t tell her that,” Fluttershy whispered.

More squeaking, and a gesture he had learned from a wyrm at some point.

Fluttershy ignored that and turned back to Silver Lining. “Whisper has been like a little sister to me for years. She is one of the most sweet and thoughtful dragons I’ve ever met. Even though she’s working full-time in the lab, she comes over to my house every day to help me with my trauma. I want her to be here, Mother.”

Silver Lining chuckled softly and smiled just a bit. “Well done, Fluttershy, and thank you for your help, Whisper.”

Whisper squeezed Fluttershy again. “Y-you’re welcome. I was t-trying to cry, but I c-couldn’t fake the e-emmotions well enough.”

“What you did was more than enough.” Silver Lining met Fluttershy’s gaze. “This was a type of exposure therapy that I discussed with Dr. Insight. A gentle reintroduction to emotional conflict.”

“Y-You,” Rarity sputtered, “you did something like that to poor Fluttershy on Hearth’s Warming Eve of all nights?”

“Dinner’s ready!” Granny Smith called from the other room. “Y’all git in here so we can eat.”

Silver Lining kept her eyes on Rarity. “I have suffered through battle trauma as well, and helped dozens of other soldiers through it during my career in the military. You may disagree with my methods when you have a similar level of experience.” Then she turned walked into the kitchen.

The others trickled after her, leaving Whisper, Angel, and Fluttershy.

“I-I’m sorry about ups-setting you,” Whisper said quietly.

Fluttershy took a deep breath to calm her racing heart. “It’s okay.” She couldn’t remember the last time she had stood up to her mother so directly. It had felt … good.

Angel hopped out of Whisper’s lap and climbed into his favorite spot on Fluttershy’s back, still carrying his mug of cocoa.

Fluttershy did her best to hold still for him. “Please be careful not to spill.”

Angel assured her that she didn’t need to worry.

“Uh..?” Whisper fidgeted nervously.

“What is it?”

“Y-you said I’m kind of like a … a l-little sister,” she swallowed and looked up at Fluttershy timidly, “so would it be okay, maybe, if I called you my big s-sister sometimes?”

For a moment Fluttershy was too stunned to answer, then she pulled the young dragoness into a tight hug. “Of course you can, Whisper! You’re sure Fire Eyes won’t mind?”

Whisper shook her head, returning the hug. “F-Fire Eyes likes you a lot too.”

Fluttershy giggled. She had always wanted a little sister. “Okay then, um, Sis, let’s go eat dinner.”

A huge smile lit up Whisper’s face. “O-okay, Sis.”

-_-_-_-_-_-

Ah, quiet. I remember this. Cliff walked to the edge of the balcony and glanced over the railing. He was about halfway up the Crystal Palace, just high enough that the singing below was reduced to a faint humming in the background. He hopped up onto the railing and let his feet dangle over the side.

“So this is where you were going,” Fire Eyes said behind him.

Cliff glanced back and saw his oldest friend standing at the door to the balcony, wearing full armor, like usual. “Hey, Eyes.”

“Hey.” She walked forward and leaned over the railing. Thousands of ponies filled the streets below, performing a complex song-and-dance routine, complete with multi-level harmonies and solo performances, and they hadn’t practiced it beforehand. At all. “Don’t you have dinner with Shining Armor and Cadance soon?”

Cliff nodded. Realistically, Shining and Cadance had only invited him because of his connection to Spirit, who would also be there, but at least it had been nice of them to include him. “I’ll meet up with them later, maybe. I just really needed to get away from the music for a while.”

“Ugh, I know.” Fire Eyes groaned. “I’m going to lose my mind if I hear ‘Crystal Bells’ one more time.”

“In that case, care to join me?” Cliff patted the railing next to him.

“Don’t mind if I do.” She climbed up next to him.

“What were they singing when you came up?” Cliff asked. “ ‘Deck the Halls’ again?”

Fire Eyes shook her head. “No, they graduated to ‘The Fire of Friendship’ after the pageant ended. Spirit was actually in the middle of a solo.”

Cliff laughed. “I’ve never understood how he can do that. I tried to join in a song with Fluttershy once. Big mistake.”

“How bad was it?”

“Let me put it this way, she said it might be a good idea if I didn’t try it again.”

Fire Eyes whistled. “Wow, you must have sucked.” She reached into one of the dimensional pockets on her suit and held out a small box wrapped in red paper with a golden bow on top. “By the way, here’s your gift.”

Cliff arched an eyebrow at her. The two of them had worked together to get presents for the rest of their team and most of their friends back at Everfree—ponies kind of expected that—but getting anything for each other had never come up. “What’s the prank?”

“Nothing,” she said in a voice that was way too innocent. “Now go on,” she pushed the box at him, “open it.”

“Alright, if you insist.” He took it and sliced off the wrapping paper with his claws before opening it.

The inside of the box was empty.

“When Rainbow asked what you wanted for Hearth’s Warming, you said ‘nothing,’ so I got it for you.” Fire Eyes grinned.

“Ah, how nice of you.” Cliff chuckled. “Thanks for nothing.”

“What can I say?” Fire Eyes punched him in the shoulder. “You deserve it.”

Cliff tossed the box onto the balcony behind them. “I actually got you the same thing, but I forgot to wrap it.”

“I think I can forgive you for that.”

The two of them shared a laugh before falling into comfortable silence.

A minute or two passed before Fire Eyes turned to Cliff. “What did you get Fluttershy, anyway?”

Cliff sighed. “I thought about telling her something that I should have a while ago, but that didn’t seem like a very nice gift.” He switched to a more dopey voice. “I love you so much, dear, that I won’t lie to you for a change.”

“So you were going to tell her that you and Rainbow hooked up?”

Cliff somehow managed to choke on the air he’d been breathing. “What?”

Eyes laughed. “Calm down, idiot, I was just kidding.”

“I hope so.” Cliff shook his head. “Rainbow would kill me if I tried to hook up with anyone other than Fluttershy, including herself.”

“I’d lend her a claw.” Eyes chuckled. “Anyway, what did you get Fluttershy?”

“An enchanted emerald that plays some of her favorite heartsongs,” Cliff said, “and another that radiates love and encouragement.” He glanced over at his friend. “How about you, did you get anything for Whisper?”

“I wrote a really long letter, telling her everything I admire about her.”

“I’m sure she’ll appreciate that.” Cliff glanced at the streets below them. It looked like the singing had finally stopped, and everyone was breaking off for whatever they had planned for the evening. “Speaking of presents, I still have one more to give.” He took a deep breath and then shouted, “Hey, Discord!”

A draconequus made entirely out of hay appeared on Cliff’s side, opposite Fire Eyes. “Did somedragon order a hay Discord?” He grinned.

Cliff rolled his eyes. “Sure, why not.”

Fire Eyes looked from Discord to Cliff. “I thought you two didn’t get along.”

“Well I did spend some quality time with Cliffy here.” Discord pinched Cliff’s cheek with his eagle hand. “Getting the Crystal Heart back was a nice bonding experience.”

“Something like that.” Cliff pried Discord’s hand off of his face. “Anyway,” he passed the draconequus a ruby, “pour some magic into that and enjoy your Hearth’s Warming present.”

The hay disappeared, revealing Discord’s regular form beneath. “A Hearth’s Warming present?” He looked at the ruby in surprise. “For me?”

“I set up a bunch of runes around the Empire,” Cliff said, gesturing to the streets below. “They’ll increase love and happiness while lowering inhibitions, not to the point that anypony will do anything they regret, but enough to cause a fair amount of chaos and spontaneous parties.” He nodded to the ruby in Discord’s hand. “That’s the trigger to set them off.”

“Why, Cliff, a citywide prank. This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever gotten me.” He looked down at the jewel in his hand and smiled.

Cliff shrugged. “Like you said, friendship, magic, all that stuff. Just promise me you’ll deactivate the runes if the Alliance shows up suddenly.”

“I do want Equestria to win this war, you know.” Discord’s smiled widened. “Actually, I have a gift of my own that may help with that.” His eyes glowed yellow for a moment before returning to normal.

“Uh,” Fire Eyes looked around, “what did you do?”

“I do believe both of you promised your loved ones that you’d come home safely. I just gave your promises a little,” he tapped his fingers together, “insurance.”

“Meaning?” Eyes asked.

“Meaning the Everfree Platoon will have an unusually high survival rate. You’re welcome.” Discord took a seated bow. “Now then, back to my present!” A long black mustache appeared on his face, which he twirled around his eagle claws. “Let the chaos begin. Muahaha!”

There was no obvious effect when he activated the gemstone, but the smile on Discord’s face only widened. “Oooh, I can feel it working already.”

-_-_-_-_-_-

Spirit looked at the door when it opened, but it was just another servant. This one carried a large pitcher of crystal-berry juice. “Come on, Cliff,” Spirit muttered, “what’s taking you?”

Cliff was more of a scatterbrain than normal lately, but this was Hearth’s Warming Eve dinner for Celestia’s sake! Not only that, but it was dinner with some of Spirit’s pony family who also happened to be the prince and princess of the Crystal Empire.

“He’s still on one of the upper balconies,” Autumn sent through their link. “… Mother says she’ll stall for time.”

They were seated in a small, comfortable dining room. The formal Hearth’s Warming Party was over for the night, and it was time to relax with friends and family. Their table was only large enough for ten ponies total, and it wasn’t even full. Shining and Cadance took up the head of the table, of course, with Luna opposite them. Spirit sat on the side to Shining Armor’s left, next to Autumn and Autumn’s mother, Fleur de Verre. The opposite side of the table was glaringly unoccupied.

“I’m curious,” Verre said, looking at Luna. “Have any of the alicorns ever tapped into crystal pony magic?” She was a cream-colored mare with vibrant shades of purple in her mane, tail, and eyes. She even wore an artful touch of purple eye shadow to accentuate the look.

“Not that I know of,” Luna said. “Myself and Celestia have been known to receive burst of insight from time to time, which might be attributed to crystal pony empathy, and Cadance has a gift for sensing the emotions of others, but none of us have successfully used crystallization magic.”

“I have been trying,” Cadance said, “but so far all I can do is replicate basic umbrum spells to create crystals.”

Autumn’s expression didn’t change, but Spirit could feel fear and anxiety spike in her at the mention of umbrum. Spirit didn’t blame her. The most famous umbrum in history had been none other than King Sombra. Luckily the others had all been imprisoned by the Crystal Heart long ago.

But what did that matter? They were just another in a long line of threats that Equestria had overcome. Ditto for the Dragon Alliance, really. Equestria would be fine. Everything would be fine.

Spirit leaned over and kissed Autumn on the cheek.

Autumn frowned slightly. “Positive emotions are suddenly filling everywhere that I can sense. I think … I think they’re Cliff’s.”

“That’s nice.” Shining Armor shook his head. “I mean, should we do something about it?”

“They aren’t very strong,” Autumn said, snuggling up against Spirit. “Just enough to bring out the happiness and love we’re already feeling.”

“I think the Crystal Empire could use the pick-me-up.” Cadance kissed Shining on the cheek and then motioned for the maids to start serving dinner. “I’ll have to thank Cliff for his thoughtfulness when he gets here.”

“And for reminding me that I am yet without a consort.” Luna froze. “I meant, of course, that I have yet to locate a stallion worthy of me.” She cleared her throat.

Spirit chuckled as a plate of food was set in front of him, some kind of salad with fruit in it.

“Of course,” Verre said. “Although you may want to be careful. Emotions like these tend to loosen the tongue.” She lifted a fork and ate a bite of her salad.

“What are you looking for in a stallion?” Cadance asked, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

Luna blushed. “Somepony large in stature, preferably. It is difficult to feel amorous about a significant other that stands barely taller than a foal.”

“I’d recommend Bulk Biceps,” Spirit said, grinning, “but he’s barely smarter than the dumbbells he lifts.”

“You could try a dragon.” Autumn smiled at Spirit. “I’d like to.” Her smiled morphed into a look of embarrassment right before she facehoofed. “Please tell me that I didn’t just say that out loud.”

Spirit laughed. Jerk move? Probably. Worth it? Totally.

“I thought you two already were,” Shining said. “You were talking about it when you first got here.”

“That conversation effectively killed the topic,” Autumn said from behind her hoof.

“Not to mention that the Everfree barracks aren’t exactly private,” Spirit said.

“I said I could get you two a private room.” Shining looked around the room nervously. “If everyone promises not to tell Twilight, of course.”

Verre leaned over to her daughter. “Your old bedroom is still available.”

Autumn groaned. “Could we possibly not discuss Spirit’s and my sex life while we are under the influence of an enchantment?”

“We still need to find a special somepony for Luna,” Cadance said. “What about that big earth pony in the Everfree Platoon?”

“Big Mac,” Spirit said. “He’s nice but kind of oblivious. This one mare has been pining after him for years, but he never even noticed.”

“Perhaps,” Luna said. “I would hate to steal the desire of another mare’s heart, but if she hasn’t moved to claim him then I see no reason why I should not.”

Shining tapped his chin. “There are a couple of burly stallions in the Crystal Garrison you might like too.”

Luna blushed. “Maybe you could point some of them out to me?”

As the others kept talking about potential stallions, Autumn leaned over to Spirit. “We really do need to discuss the matter of our own relationship.”

“Yeah,” Spirit whispered back. “We do … tomorrow.” Maybe he could decide what he wanted by then. Maybe.