• Published 5th Oct 2016
  • 11,925 Views, 760 Comments

Rise of the Crystal Emperor - Navanastra



Emperor Mateus of the Palamecian Empire fails to conquer the world not once but twice after getting defeated by Firion and his gang. Instead of just going back to hell the Emperor wakes up in a brand new world and in an even newer body as well.

  • ...
31
 760
 11,925

Chapter 4: A New Emperor, A New Dawn

Chapter 4: A New Emperor, a New Dawn.

Edited by: Chrome Masquerade


Ruby Quill, former royal assistant and adviser, was just one of many mares currently chained up and gagged within the throne room of the crystal palace. She couldn’t really remember much, except for the fact that she was one of the… unlucky mares to be picked to NOT serve within the many crystal mines within the city, but more as… personal enjoyment for their current king.

She felt hopeless and lost beyond comprehension. Luckily for her, her time with the king had still not yet come, but she also knew that it was just a matter of time.

Which was something she wished she could also say for the mare chained up on the floor right next to her, a sapphire colored mare with aqua blue mane and tail, just huddling away in a dark corner right behind the throne room, shaking with her back turned from everyone else.

She and the few mares with her in the throne room were, of course, not the only ponies/prisoners. Further into the middle of the room were more ponies chained up against the large columns and even the walls of the throne room. Each one of them in a different state of health and appearance. Some of them bruised, some of them not, but what they all seemed to share equally was the sheer fear and hopelessness portrayed in their eyes. Fear of ever accidentally displeasing the king somehow and getting themselves sent into the mines or worse, and hopelessness of never ever getting free of their shackles to see the outside world ever again.

She hated this. She hated all of this fear, this feeling of doom and loss all around her, this feeling of dread and hopelessness that everyone had, but she especially HATED the pony responsible for all of this.

King Sombra, the black unicorn who was currently sitting on the crystal throne above her with his two personal brainwashed guards (also probably of Equestrian descent) clad in obsidian armor flanking said throne. It was all his fault and his alone.

She might not have had a lot of memory prior to Sombra’s rise to power, but she knew deep down that life within the Crystal Empire used to be much more cheerful and pleasant than it was currently.

Her mental musings were immediately cut short when she suddenly felt an invisible force taking hold of her form. She yelped in surprise when she suddenly found herself floating in the air by a blood red aura surrounding her body. She knew exactly what it was and where it came from as she desperately started to thrash about in the air in the hopes of somehow producing a miracle by doing so, which didn’t last long, as her whole body suddenly became stiff from the same magic that was currently holding her.

Her eyes went wide with dread when she was suddenly faced with the menacing grin of the accursed unicorn himself. Looks of both horror and sympathy were being shot towards her by the mares she so forcefully left behind as she was gently levitated towards the king's lap.

King Sombra’s menacing smile grew when he noticed the resistance and fear his next victim was outwardly showing.

“Well, well. What seems to be the matter, Ruby Quill? And here I thought that you liked assisting the king in any way, shape or form.” King Sombra taunted as he showed his fangs to her.

Ruby Quill desperately wanted to get away from this evil tyrant as quickly as possible but couldn’t as the same magic was still pretty much keeping her in place restricted any sort of movement from her except for her eyes and panicked breathing.

There was absolutely nothing she could do as Sombra started to slowly inch his muzzle closer to her with his tongue almost touching the front of her own muzzle.

She mentally resigned herself to her fate as she closed her eyes, when all of a sudden the sound of one of the main doors slowly being opened entered her laid-back ears, which in turn froze any other activity in the room for an instant.

Ruby Quill dared to open her eyes and immediately regretted it. The previously lustful-looking expression the king had just a moment ago suddenly got replaced by a massive scowl, which immediately sent alarm bells off in her head, and before she knew it she was flung back across the floor to where the other mares were with a heavy thud as the magic previously around her swiftly dissipated.

She shook her head, trying to recover her dazed mind and ignoring the pain currently dominating her flank before she opened her eyes to see what poor pony, or being in general was foolish enough to even enter the throne room and confront the mad tyrant completely unannounced and uninvited.

What she saw almost made her do a double take as her eyes widened in shock and surprise at the same time.

And just maybe…. a bit of hope as well.

………………………………………………………………………………………

Emperor Mateus decided to simply let the mare beside him bask in her own embarrassment as his focus quickly switched back to the scene in front of him.

To him this throne room resembled more of a dungeon than anything else with chained up ponies (among other things) everywhere, the depressing mood and the somewhat gloomy lighting within this room. Quite the contrast, compared to the rest of the Palace, as these walls sported black and dark purple crystals rather than the bright bluish and white once that adorned pretty much all of the palace interiors he had passed by.

The Emperor also quickly noted the previously stock stoic guards quickly advancing to them with their swords drawn.

The Emperor mentally sighed. “Even more unnecessary distractions. How wonderful.” He thought as he was about to mentally command his staff to attack them when Thera of all ponies suddenly stepped forward.

“Let me handle these. Besides the snow worm back in the wastes I haven’t really properly demonstrated what I am truly capable of. Plus, this will also serve as a nice personal redemption of getting myself captured by those filthy diamond mutts from before.” Thera explained as she drew her own sword from its scabbard.

“I am, after all, a member of the Gladed Blade Clan.” She quickly added as she took a stance with her sword on her right forehoof.

“Suit yourself.” The Emperor casually replied as he focused back to the black unicorn still sitting on the throne.

The pony still wore his scowl, but it lessened to some degree after his two guards went over to intercept them. Again ignoring the obvious fighting that now started between the bat-mare and the two darkly armored guards, Mateus instead made this way over to the throne while ignoring all the curious stares the shackled ponies were giving him.

The scowl on the dark unicorn increased once more as Mateus stopped right in front of the throne with his staff lazily floating beside him.

“Who do you think you are to just trot up to me? Me, King Sombra of the Crystal Empire!?” The self-proclaimed King Sombra announced with a booming voice.

Mateus could tell that there was all lot of arrogance behind his tone. Which was kind of amusing, because usually he used to have that kind of tone as well. But what it clearly lacked was any form of intelligence behind it, which only meant that he was basically dealing with a power-mad imbecile who had no clear idea of what he was doing or how to fully use the power that he supposedly snatched up for himself.

Which brings us to power, if he truly had any, that is. The dark ruler did show power from the outside, but on the inside he knew that he was pretty weak just by looking through his visage. Again, from self-experience of a bunch of idiots he had to deal with back in his own world. A certain Borghan quickly came to mind, which immediately lead him to hate this dark unicorn as certain similarities quickly showed themselves to him.

But Mateus immediately halted himself. He might have underestimated his foes in the past, which inevitably caused his downfall in the first place, a mistake he already agreed he would never repeat, though it seems that this time might be the exception for this fool. At a second glance he could tell that there was more to this unicorn than met the eye. He seemed to be feeding on fear and hatred, not the most reliable sources of power and control, at least judging from his own failures at least.

“State your business, mare, before I smite you.” Sombra ordered, which in turn broke the Emperor’s train of thought before his claim registered on him.

“Really? You think that I am female?” He casually stated which made King pause before his eyes go wide for a split second in surprise.

That didn’t really last long though as he soon started to laugh, tossing his head back in a very dramatic way as his voice boomed all across the throne room causing the prisoners within to flinch back.

Here was another good example of how truly weak he seemed to be. Laughing like this while keeping himself very open. He could technically just swiftly leap forward and end this “idiot’s” life with one good strike, but he had decided against that idea simply because it would be way too fast and way too easy for his taste, plus he was also curious to see if this so called king had any weight to himself in terms of strength or not.

He waited patiently while the black king was still laughing his ass off in the revelation that he was actually dealing with a stallion instead of a mare.

True, he did feel rather annoyed by this, but at the same time he was very much aware that he does have similar facial features to this species’ females, judging by the size of his snout in comparison to all the mares staring at him beside the foot of the throne. A ruby furred, blonde haired mare especially.

The laughter eventually died down as the king suddenly stood up from his throne. He descended the stairs below his crystallized seat until he was facing the Emperor at perfect eye level, with his scowl once again back in full force.

The Emperor, on the other hand simply stood there, confidently cautious, not feeling intimidated in the slightest as one primary question suddenly sprang up in his mind.

“Is this storm that has been raging outside the city borders your work?” He casually asked, a question which seemed to have taken the king completely by surprise for a second before his self-confidence quickly returned.

“Yes… yes it is, a small demonstration of my power.” He boasted proudly before looking back at the golden unicorn in front of him. ”A trifle. But that information won’t really do much for you, since I am going to permanently remove you for DARING to trespass upon my castle and approach me without my consent.” He quickly added, as his gaze quickly switched from boastful to dangerous.

The Emperor simply nodded as he continued to stay as cool and collected as ever, to the confusion and utter rage to the unicorn in front of him.

He suddenly began to charge up his curved back/red horn, which the emperor just noticed, as he raised a curious eyebrow at the action of this previously supposedly inactive body part.

A large and sharp black crystal materialized as it swiftly shot forward aimed directly for Mateus’ unprotected skull. He, of course, denied it by quickly leaning his head to the side as the black projectile harmlessly flew past its target and off to somewhere behind.

A loud clang was heard, followed up by a scream and a loud thud afterwards which also silenced the sounds of metal clashing that was happening in the background.

A dumbfounded look promptly replaced the previous angry scowl the black unicorn had a moment ago. Out of curiosity and the fact his opponent was currently too busy staring at something. He decided to turn his head briefly to see what all the sudden silence was about.

What he saw almost made him chuckle because the king basically managed to kill off one of his goons with an accidental precise shot on the back of his head, leaving a large puncture mark on the back of the helmet with one half of the black crystal sticking out of it.

“An imbecile true to the book. Shooting off a spell without making sure first that none of his men are in the line of fire.”

Thera on the other hoof was frozen in a mid-swing, by the look of it, as she stared at the now dead black guard in front of her with mild surprise etched on her features. She eventually just shrugged before relaxing and casually leaning against her now crimson colored blade. Mateus briefly wondered what happened to the second guard that used to be there as well when before he spotted a black lump lying on the crystal floor behind her surrounded in small puddle of crimson, which immediately told him everything he needed to know.

He quickly turned his attention back to the king, and just in time as he somehow managed to fire yet another of his spells from his horn which only narrowly missed the emperor after he quickly sidestepped it. The fired crystal harmlessly hit a far off wall on the other side of the room with a loud shattering sound that echoed off the crystal walls.

He could tell that the king was now livid.

“YOU TWO DARE TO TRESPASS IN MY KINGDOM AND IN MY PALACE AND KILL BOTH MY GUARDS?” The king shouted with his fangs bared and his horn dangerously flickering with black energy.

The Emperor on the other end again stayed as calm and level headed as ever as a small smirk graced his muzzle. “Actually my companion over there only killed only ONE of your guards herself, the last one was your doing.” He casually pointed out which seemed to finally have snapped a cord within that wannabe king’s head, to the Emperor's delight.

“NOW YOU DARE MOCK ME AS WELL? ME, THE KING?” He shouted, horn started to light up with swirl of dark green energy surrounding it which Mateus found immensely interesting as a thought slowly started to enter his mind.

That thought though was momentarily interrupted. “I WILL KILL YOU BOTH AND HAVE YOUR FILTHY HEADS ON A PIKE!!! The livid king angrily announced as his horn immediately discharged whatever spell it was building up.

The emperor only had a split second to react as a massive black crystal spike suddenly shot up from underneath the crystal floor he used to be standing on.

Followed up another, and another as the Emperor was momentarily forced to dodge every single one of them.

While he was doing that, two balls of essence seemed to float from the dead guards to the black king himself, increasing the speed and length of the black crystal spikes and the amount that were being summoned as well.

All of the prisoners within the room started to desperately try to crawl away from the fight before their chains halted them, which left most of them to only hope and pray that none of their mad king’s attacks would ever come close to them.

While the king was trying his mighty best to impale the emperor with his attacks. The emperor on the other hand was mentally studying his opponent’s moves and attack patterns, especially his opponent’s horn as it constantly flashed before another sharp crystal shot up from the floor or walls.

“It seems that he needs to use his horn to channel whatever spell he has in his arsenal.” The emperor thought as he yet again dodged another crystal shooting up from the ground and deflected another fired at him with his staff.

“Don’t I have a horn myself? Which means that I probably have to do so as well. That at least explains why I was unable to access my own magic previously. Simply because the method of casting is now different than what I am used to. Instead of channeling spells the normal way I first need to direct it to my horn in order to do anything.” He continued to mentally note to himself as he deflected another series of crystals fired at him.

He did just that as he momentarily had a break from the constant assaults, as it seems like this constant magical barrage was beginning taking a toll on his opponent’s mana pool, the remaining life essence the king had absorbed notwithstanding.

Mateus immediately started to access his inner magic once more, finding most of it locked still, but he ignored it. He began to force-channel his magic into his horn first, in the same way he would normally do, and the results in the end were just as he expected them to be. The magic did finally start to work for the first time before he quickly cut it off again.

“Oh, this is going to be quick and easy now.” The emperor thought to himself as an evil grin suddenly formed on his muzzle. “Oh the joy of finally having access to my magic again.”

He could see that his challenger was still in the middle of trying to regain some of his energy. Which he just thought was laughable as the amount and strength of his spells wasn’t really that impressive to begin with.

Deciding to show off a little bit, the Emperor immediately began to quickly advance on the still exhausted unicorn. He swiftly began to cast reflect on himself with his new-found understanding of casting as his horn gave a quick flash, which immediately surrounded his form in a shimmering glass-like field.

The king noticed this, as he immediately began to fire crystal based spells at Mateus once more, only for him to horrifyingly find out that every single attack he was throwing at the advancing intruder was just harmlessly bouncing off into the ceiling above.

The king slowly started to panic visibly for the very first time as the Emperor was quickly closing the gap between them, immediately using his remaining magic to cast the most powerful shield spell around him he could currently muster.

Nothing so far has seemed to more than a scratch on this golden unicorn armour. Every attack he had thrown at him was either deflected or dodged more or less with ease by this unicorn’s. Which should have been impossible. Even the princesses had to use their combined powers to defeat and banish him.

But he would not back down, no, never. He was the KING after all, the most powerful unicorn who ever lived. He would not fall, not again and especially not to a golden clad nobody that looks more like a mare then a stallion. The audacity of this pony, to come to his kingdom and challenge him, the great king Sombra! He was going to make this pony pay by intercepting his advancement and striking him down, up close and personal where he can’t possibly parry or dodge his magic.

With that new self-imposed vigor back into the king’s mind, he immediately began to charge his opponent with all his might while still keeping his own shield up.

Imagine his surprise when instead of making contact with his enemy he found himself meeting nothing as the Emperor dodged his charge by flipping over the king while slamming the tip of his staff onto the ground in mid-flight right next to the surprised king, causing yet another rune to appear right under him before landing gracefully back on all fours behind the tyrant king.

“Just as I expected.” The Emperor commented as he turned around to look at the now paralyzed king behind him.

King Sombra, on the other hoof, was once again visibly panicking as he found out that whatever magic rune suddenly appeared under him was completely paralyzing him from head to tail, he was about to release his shield and cast a spell that would hopefully break whatever accursed magic this unicorn had somehow conjured in mid jump but was quickly horrified to learn that, whatever he tried to do, his own magic was simply not responding to any commands he was giving it. Same with drawing magic from his surroundings, since his horn was strangely acting silent, as if somepony had placed a magic inhibitor on it or something.

He was about to demand what sorcery this golden stallion had cast upon him when he also learned that his own voice was vacant from existence as well.

The king could proudly say that there hasn’t been a lot of moments in his over 1000 year life that had ever made him feel scared or this close to panic before. Even when he was confronted by the two princesses he wasn’t feeling as much fear or panic as he was feeling right now, even more so when his opponent suddenly began to chuckle.

“Don’t bother trying to move, say, or cast spells, because you are not going to be able to do anything for a while.” The emperor explained with a sinister smile, a tone that only solidified the king's feeling of distress as he was now totally trapped.

“A very nice trap spell of mine, works wonders against magic users. A trap spell both infused with a paralysis spell and mute spell to make sure the victim can’t move or cast any spells (or talk) as long as the trap is active.” The Emperor continued to explain before slightly raising his right gold-and-purple-gloved hoof.

“Such a shame, but all good things must end eventually.” The emperor quickly added before his horn gave away a brief flash as blue light started to gather onto his right hoof.

An almost blinding light began to form on the emperor’s hoof as more and more condensed magic was being pulled in into one central point, almost reaching critical energy levels before he released it with one forward swipe.

The effects were almost immediate as the highly condensed magical energy expanded in a bright blue flash, forming a miniature version of a blue sun double the size of an average pony.

The emperor had cast one of his favorite and most powerful spells in his arsenal, Flare. Or in this case, Azure Flare.

The spell itself might not cause wide-range destruction or a massive crater, at least not in this configuration, but what it does assure is that whatever this spell hits is guaranteed to no longer exist after it detonates, as the shock wave and heat that are released are pretty similar to an exploding star, only at a much smaller scale and concentrated into a single point.

Which is perfect and just enough to make sure that whatever this spell is aimed at will immediately be annihilated no matter what magical shields or barriers are erected (with the exception of a reflect spell).

The speed at which the blue sun was traveling was somewhat anti-climactic to say the least as it was just slowly making its way to its target. The emperor could easily increase the speed at which his attack would home onto its appointed opponent, but he wanted to make sure that the king would have the chance to first see his doom slowly approaching before everything was truly over for him.

Also so that the bat-mare and the prisoners could watch as well because his plan was to show off a bit.

A blinding flash of blue light and an extremely powerful explosion (but thankfully contained) suddenly erupted within the room as the Azure Flare spell detonated after making contact with the king.

Thera and the prisoners were forced to look away and cover their ears (at least those that had their hooves free) so they would not get blinded or deafened by the bright flash and powerful explosion which was echoing through the crystal walls as the entire room creaked and shook from this incredible release of energy.

There wasn’t even a death scream.

The moment the bright flash and loud rumbling subsided everybody within the room started to open their eyes to see if they were still well and alive and if the throne room itself was still standing or not.

What they all saw left them in a state of utter shock. Instead of seeing a destroyed throne room or at the very least a crater from where the explosion took place, all they saw was a lone standing gold unicorn seemingly unfazed and unbothered with a smirk on his muzzle with absolutely no trace of their tyrant king in sight besides a small charred, smoking spot where he used to be.

“Not a bad victory.” The Emperor commented out loud which in turn suddenly caused all of the black crystals in the room to break apart and turn into wisps of shadow.

Same with the shackles and chains holding the ponies in the room as they soon all broke into pieces as well before fading away, causing some who used to be shackled to the walls to fall flat onto their stomachs with audible thuds echoing through the room.

Most of the ponies had the sensibility to quickly bail after they were free from their bonds, jumping and running past the two dead obsidian guards as they all ran for the main door of the throne room.

The Emperor didn’t mind their sudden need to flee at all as he was more focused on the now empty throne next to him.

Without wasting any time to claim his prize he casually ascended the set of stairs leading up to the podium where the crystal throne was sitting before turning himself around and taking a slow test sit to see if the thing was even to his proper size and liking.

“Need to add a pillow for my bottom, though. Sitting on smooth hard crystal is eventually going to make me sore down there.” The emperor mused mentally to himself as he leaned back and rested his forehooves onto the armrests and crossing his hind legs as his staff gently landed on his lap.

“Easiest and quickest conquest I ever had. It’s almost criminal.” Mateus commented out loud, with a smile as he observed his new throne room, before his sight suddenly landed on a still stunned ruby coated mare looking up at him.

He casually raised a curious eyebrow at her, which seemed to have snapped her out of whatever shock she was in before she simply fainted, falling on her back.

“I guess I can let her sleep there for a while.” The emperor thought to himself as he watched the bat-mare, who had accompanied him since shortly after he woke up in this world, trotted up towards him.

“Actually, I probably need another pillow for my back as well.” He thought.