• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 8,199 Views, 102 Comments

Big Mac Reads Something Purple - Bad Horse



Twilight asks Big MacIntosh to read to the Cutie Mark Crusaders while she runs an errand.

  • ...
16
 102
 8,199

Alternate ending

Sometime later, Twilight returned and found the lavender-colored book still lying on the table. She read the title. "Hmm! I didn't think there was anypony else in this town who'd be interested in neuroponynomic theory."

She wondered what story Big Mac had decided to read to the fillies. She wasn't worried—he was such a gentle and respectful soul that he wouldn't read anything himself that was inappropriate for the girls. And he was so sensitive, and so attentive to the little fillies, he would figure out quickly enough what they liked and didn't like. He could probably be a good storyteller if somepony could get him to talk.

She realized she had no idea what sort of stories he liked. It was just one more mystery about the quiet giant.

She sighed as she returned Theoretical Research in Neuroponynomic Decision-Making to its proper place on the shelf. She could understand almost all of the equations in it, but that wouldn't impress a practical pony like Big Mac. He probably wouldn't even remember her name if she weren't a friend of his sister.

Honestly, she didn't understand why any of her friends liked her. All she had to offer was facts and insights about things that didn't interest them. Nopony had really liked her in Canterlot. Now they did. Which meant she might stop being likeable at any moment. So she studied harder, because that was all she knew how to do.

That was best—to keep doing what she was doing, and not take any chances. She just wasn't good at personal relationships. She bit her lip, and tried to focus on the task at hand, pushing some of the books on the shelf, and pulling on others, until they were all flush with each other again.