• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,291 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,291

PreviousChapters Next
Post-New Year's Weekend

My cheerfulness at last night’s party had completely evaporated by next morning, when I woke up in bed much later than usual. My head was aching, my eyes itched, my mouth felt stale with morning breath, and my whole body felt like lead. I glanced at my watch, which read 9:45. I was glad, in this instance, that my work at Bon Bon’s was over, because I didn’t think I would be able to uphold service with a smile in my state. I didn’t even drink, either. I felt like I could now properly sympathize with Berry for what she must go through after a night’s drinking.

It felt like an age when I was finally able to wrench myself from bed and immerse myself in a shower, the initially cold water startling me into a more wakeful attitude. Once refreshed, I got dressed, then went out to get the mail. As I read the morning paper over a late breakfast, I wondered what I should do today. The job listings yielded nothing that appealed to my interests today, but I’d be on the lookout. Then again, the way I felt, I didn’t really feel like doing anything. That was the answer, then. Today was just gonna be about relaxing.

First thing’s first, however. I took a few minutes to hang up Zecora’s wind chimes by the front door. A light breeze blew past it, making a woody clinking noise not altogether unpleasant to the ears. With that done, I went to my new phonograph, put on Octavia’s record of classical pieces, then lay myself on my bed, completely immersed in a lethargic ‘do nothing today’ attitude. Well, beyond eating and going to the bathroom, but that was beside the point.

***

By next morning, I felt much more refreshed, much less lazy. I decided I might as well get a start on this New Year’s resolution by eating a healthy breakfast, so I whipped up some oatmeal and toast. Now, I wasn’t too worried about this whole diet thing. It wasn’t like I’d be living on nothing but carrot sticks and celery stalks. Dieting wasn’t just eating healthier; it was also properly portioning your meals and avoiding snacking. Technically, one could eat whatever they wanted, but in moderation. At least, that was how Weight Watchers had done it, back home.

Once that was done, I figured it was about time I got started on the new sign for the Brimstone Lounge. Sparkler had already approved of the prototype, and they were getting started on construction of the building already, I imagined, so I had to get a move on. I still had some paint left, but I’d need wood for the sign itself. There was a chance the lumber the Crusaders and I used to build the Rainbow Avenger might have some leftovers, but that might not be good enough. This sign deserved new, quality wood, so it was time for another trip to the hardware store. Once geared up, I headed out.

***

Finding the lumber at the store was easy enough, paying for it put a bit of a dent in my bag of bits, but bringing it home was another matter. It was unpleasantly cumbersome. Tucking it under one arm was the best way I could do it, but I had to continually pause to readjust my grip on it. Keeping it jammed against my armpit was making me ache as well, and my arm was sore from keeping it held in such a position for so long. I must have been an embarrassing sight to witness as I walked through Ponyville with a big plank of wood clasped to my side, but I had to troop on.

“This a new exercise tactic?”

I knew that voice. Glancing to my right, I saw Lyra trotting beside me. She was wearing a black sweatshirt that fit rather snugly over her pudgy body. She seemed to have retained her renewed optimism for the diet; she was perfectly cheery, like her usual self.

“Hey there, Lyra,” I greeted. “No, it isn’t. I just need to carry this home for a project I’m doing.”

“All the way back home?” Lyra asked, aghast. “Do you want help? I could lend ya a horn.”

Her horn glowed, and I felt the plank of wood yank itself out from under my arm, floating until it hovered above us, like a weird, flat umbrella. Lyra beamed at me, and I ruffled her mane appreciatively.

“Thanks, Lyra. So, how are you doing?”

“Pretty good. Bonnie and I were exhausted yesterday, so we just relaxed around the house.”

“What a coincidence,” I said. “I did the same.”

“Great minds think alike, my friend,” said Lyra.

“So, you’re still on board about this new diet regime?”

“Yeah. I thought about what Bonnie said, and she’s right. I ought to get back into shape, before something worse than a busted chair happens. Besides, some of my favorite pants are starting to get tight on me. Just be ready if Bonnie comes by, banging on your door to drag you along on a jog.”

“Duly noted,” I said, grinning.

We walked on in silence at first, but after a few minutes of this, I decided to break the quiet with a question I’d been mulling on.

“Lyra?”

“Mm?”

“Bon Bon said you had started putting on weight ever since coming back from ‘boarding school’. What did she mean by that?”

“Oh, that? She means after I graduated from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.”

“You were a student there?” I asked, impressed.

“Sure. It’s how I met Twilight. Well, how I knew she lived in Canterlot. She was always busy with her own studies, so we never talked.”

“Yeah, I remember hearing that when we had the Q&A. I’ve heard it’s pretty prestigious.”

“Oh? Looking to take a class? Somehow, I don’t think you’ve met the minimum requirements,” teased Lyra.

“Haha,” I chuckled, “I was just curious what standards a unicorn gets judged by.”

“If they’re exceptionally talented in a particular field,” said Lyra. “It might seem that way, but it’s not all for magic, you know. The thing is, when I was a filly, I thought I wanted to be an anthropologist and study humans. I had done enough research that they ended up letting me in based on my level of study. Unfortunately, there aren’t many ponies today who go into that sort of thing, humans being little better than a myth. Until you came along, of course,” she added, giving me a playful nudge.

“Flatterer,” I quipped.

“I was in the history department, and one day I found some old music in one of my research books. I just had to give it a try, and lo and behold, playing the lyre was my one true calling, so I settled on music instead.”

“That and eating sweets daily,” I added.

“Of course,” said Lyra. Bonnie said she was considering making nutritional candies. I told her they probably wouldn’t work all that well, but between that or taking me off taste-tester duties, I’ll take veggie sweets any day. Nopony is going to do my job but me!”

“That’s the spirit,” I said.

“She also wants me to get out more, says I spend most of my time cooped up in the shop or the apartment. It’s not like I don’t participate when there’s a big event, though. Ask anypony, and they’ll tell you I’ve got perfect attendance when something’s going down.”

“Sounds like the kinda thing Pinkie would say,” I said. “You two do kinda have a lot in common: fun-loving candy munchers who like making their friends smile. I’m lucky to have such good friends.”

Lyra smiled warmly and nestled herself against my side.

“Thanks, man,” she said. “I can easily say the same about you and Bonnie.”

From there, the rest of the walk was made in silence, the plank of wood still hovering obediently over our heads.

***

Once I’d gotten home, I’d taken the bulk of the next hour or so to paint the initial coat on the new plank of wood. I’d put a pile of old newspaper sheets on the floor beneath it so as not to ruin the hardwood, and was using careful, measured strokes, taking my time with each application. This was to be the final product, so it had to look right, even if it meant taking more time than I would have been comfortable with on any other project similar to this. I was beginning to sympathize with Tom Sawyer when he had to whitewash a whole fence, but he had been lucky enough to have a neighborhood of unsuspecting suckers to con into doing it for him, while I was left to my own honest devices.

Once I had completely coated it in white paint, I let it sit and dry while I grabbed some lunch, with some help from the cookbook Fluttershy had gotten me. If only I had a way of calculating points like I did during my brief time with Weight Watchers, then I’d know if I was getting my daily 45. Well, I did what I could, and by the time I was done, the paint still hadn’t dried completely, so I decided to practice on the piano for tomorrow. Needless to say, I was still dreadful playing by ear. Hopefully by tomorrow, I’d learn a thing or two about playing by sheet music.

I was just finishing my poor performance when someone knocked on the door. Opening it up, I found Moonlight, grinning up at me.

“Hey there, Moonlight,” I said. “What’s up?”

“Hey, Dave! I just wanted to see if you wanted to come over. Twilight let me borrow her projector, and you know what that means!”

“I do?”

I thought for a moment, and then it hit me.

“Oh! The Daring Do movie! Yeah, I’d love to watch it with you! I’ve got nothing to do while the paint dries.”

“Great! Come on, then!”

Once I’d suited up and locked up the house, Moonlight and I headed to her house together. It’d been a while since I’d been in it, since Moonlight usually came to me when we had our Daring Do readings, so I was still very much impressed by the spic and span decor as I stepped in. The floor was smooth and shiny, the furniture freshly vacuumed, and a flowery smell about the place that could very well be from air fresheners.

“Wow, Moonlight, you really put a lot of effort into keeping this place spotless.”

“Thanks,” said Moonlight. “I dunno what it is, I just really prefer having a clean home, in case I have company.”

“Er, have you had much company?” I asked, feeling guilty that I hadn’t visited her as much as she had visited me.

“Oh, sure! Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Lyra, Pinkie Pie. Of course, it means keeping a tidy house nearly 24/7. And before you start blaming yourself,” she added, knowingly, giving my arm a nudge with her foreleg, “I’m not mad at you for not coming by so often. If anything, I’m the one always dropping in on you.”

“Well, I’m not sorry for that,” I said, grinning. “I like having you visit.”

Moonlight smiled.

“Well, make yourself comfy,” she said, “and I’ll get the movie set up.”

The furniture was so pristine that I almost felt bad sitting down on the couch and ruining the perfect shape of the cushions, but I did as she bade, while she rolled out an old-fashioned film projector, the Daring Do movie reel already put in place, and set it up to face the opposite wall, which was blank and unadorned, making for a suitable makeshift screen. She turned off the lights, turned the projector on, then settled onto the couch right beside me. With a gentle whirring and clicking, the reels began to turn, and the projection beam flashed on against the wall, showing a title card that reminded me of MGM Studios, but featuring a bat-winged manticore instead of a lion. Soon after, we were immersed in a pulse-pounding soundtrack as the opening credits appeared, our eyes glued to the projection.

***

Nearly 2 hours later, the projector ran to the end of its reel and turned off. Moonlight and I, however, remained where we were, as if it were still going. That had to have been one of the greatest action-adventure movies I had ever seen! It had adapted both The Basilisk’s Eye and The Quest for the Sapphire Statue, and to see those hair-raising exploits put to film was phenomenal! The effects were top-notch, the acting was superb (they had even managed to find a way to incorporate Ahuizotl without having Ahuizotl himself, possibly in the same way they had done Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi back home), and it even had some witty moments that made me chuckle.

“That...was...amazing!” said Moonlight, finally.

“You can say that again,” I said. “It’s awesome to see a faithful adaptation when I’ve seen plenty that miss critical elements of the original.”

“Thanks so much for getting me this movie,” said Moonlight, nuzzling my cheek. “I love it even more now that I’ve seen it.”

“No problem, pal of mine,” I said, giving her a squeeze with one arm. “I’m glad I found it for you.”

“I wish I’d remember to make some popcorn, but I was so absorbed by it.”

“Ah, it doesn’t matter. I’m on a diet, anyway.”

Moonlight looked at me, as if unsure she’d heard right. She looked me over, obviously dubious that I even needed to be on a diet.

“I’m serious,” I said. “I’ve been feeling kinda heavy lately, especially after the holidays. It’s one of the most common times of the year to pack on the pounds. I know I don’t look it, but I don’t want it to get worse, either.”

Moonlight raised a hoof and prodded it against my stomach. She giggled.

“You are kinda soft,” she said. “No wonder you give such good hugs.”

“Oh, stop it, you,” I joked, giving her a one-handed tickle that set her laughing. “You know you can get away with it cuz you’re in better shape.”

Moonlight stuck her tongue out at me teasingly, her hooves curled above her slender belly.

“Besides,I’m not alone. Lyra and Bon Bon are joining me.”

“Oh,” said Moonlight. “Well, good to you all then. I’ll be cheering you on.”

“Thanks! I’ll try to come over more often, so you can see my progress. How’s that sound?”

Moonlight smiled, which was all the answer I needed.

***

By the time I had gotten home, the sign’s paint hadn’t yet dried so I had to wait a bit longer for that. Even then, it was going to need a more finished look before I could even move on to the lettering. It was going to take longer than just one day to complete, so I resolved to wait until the evening, if the paint was sufficiently dried by then, to apply the next coat. With how much it would take to make it look perfect, I felt like one of the Renaissance masters, if any of them had ever been commissioned to paint an ‘Eat at Joe’s’ sign.

I could at least show Minister Ironmane my concepts for the sign tomorrow and see how he liked them, then, if the final product was finished in time by the next Sunday, show him and Sparkler both. I doubted it would take that long, but it would kill two birds with one stone, or as Pinkie would probably say, ‘catch a bird in the hoof and stone two in the bush’.

***

The next day, right on schedule, somepony knocked at the door. I figured it must be Ironmane, so I went to answer. Sure enough, there he was, as stiff and upright as ever, though not as tired-looking as he was before we decided upon the restaurant idea.

“Hello, Minister,” I said.

“Greetings, David. I hope you had a pleasant New Year.”

“I did, sir, thank you. How was the concert?”

“Spectacular,” said Ironmane, with a slight smile. “Miss Octavia’s ensemble is unparalleled. Of course, the night couldn’t be without its own brand of lunacy. Some wild-maned harlequin with obnoxious sunglasses continually cheered the ensemble on as if it had been a rock concert. Most uncivilized.”

He gave a contemptuous snort, and I had to stifle a grin, as I knew that could only have been one pony: Vinyl.

“I had just come from Miss Hooves’ to give her an update on the construction of the Brimstone Lounge,” he went on.

Hearing him mention it reminded me of the sign I was making, as well as the concepts I’d drawn up for it.

“Could you excuse me a moment, sir?” I asked. “I just want to fetch something real quick.”

Ironmane raised an eyebrow, but said nothing, so I went back inside, grabbed my concepts paper, and brought it over to him.

“These are just some concepts for a sign I’m making for the Brimstone Lounge, with a slogan a friend of mine allowed me to use. I thought you’d like to see it.”

I held out the paper for him to see, then waited for his reaction. He stared at it for a moment or two, then raised his eyebrow again, in an intrigued way.

“Admirable,” he said. “Simple, yet, in a way, charming. You say a friend of yours came up with this slogan?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Very good. It should add a nice touch to the Brimstone Lounge when construction is complete, and once our unicorn specialists properly fireproof it.”

“How’s construction coming along?”

“Slowly, due to the weather, but we hope to encourage our foremen to work alongside the dragons, so that we can not only speed it up, but also have their input on the aesthetics and scale. Brutus is managing the dragon-pony relations on that front as we speak. Generously compensated for, of course.”

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow.

“Is he still trying to maintain it’s just for the money?” I asked.

“He’d like us to believe that,” said Ironmane, a hint of shrewdness in his tone, “but Princess Celestia believes in his better nature, and, even if it contradicts my own, I believe in her judgement. I suspect he’s coming to appreciate what ponies have to offer. Astounding what you can discover when you put aside misgivings about someone you hardly know.”

Ironmane paused, looking as though an idea had just struck him. For a second or two, he was wearing an expression I didn’t think I’d ever see on him. It looked like he was...troubled about something. However, he seemed to pull himself back into his usual attitude, and he briskly cleared his throat.

“*Ahem!* Yes, well, in any case, David, your weekly dues, and a little something extra.”

The ‘something extra’ turned out to be a thick envelope that he floated to me, along with my bag of bits.

(Oh, goody, more homework...)

“A new assignment, as I promised before New Year’s,” said Ironmane. “You’ll find a list of the creatures that roam Equestria in that envelope. As I have outlined the last time I visited, it will be your job to research and detail their histories in relation to Equestrian events, where applicable, attributes, habitats, dietary habits, and behaviors. I should like it delivered to me within the week. Am I clear?”

“As glass, Minister,” I said, not daring to betray resentment in front of him.

“Good. Until we meet again, David.”

“Have a good week, Minister.”

In his usual fashion, Ironmane turned sharply around and strode off, cape billowing in the wind. Setting the assignment envelope and bag of bits inside, I took up my concepts again and made for the Hooves house, deciding to give her an update of my own. I knocked on the door, but as I waited for somepony to answer, I could hear something coming from inside. It was a continuous, sustained sound, like the droning of insects, though there was no way it could be, since it was winter.

At last, the door opened, and the sound became louder. Sparkler poked her head out, her expression brightening upon seeing me.

“Hello, Dave!” she said. “How are you?”

“Pretty good, Sparkler. You?”

“Oh, not bad. I was just visited by Minister Ironmane, telling me how everything’s progressing with the Brimstone Lounge project.”

“Funny thing: he just visited me to do the same, among other things,” I said. “I then thought to drop by and let you know I’ve gotten a start on the sign. It’ll take a bit more time to make sure it looks nice, but it’s progress all the same.”

“Great!” said Sparkler, beaming. “Dave, I can’t thank you enough for doing this, really.”

“It’s no trouble, Sparkler,” I said. “I just hope the dragons appreciate it as much as you and Ironmane do.”

“I’m sure they will.”

In the brief silence that followed, I was once more made aware of the noise coming from inside.

“What’s going on in there?” I asked.

“Oh, that,” said Sparkler, with a roll of the eyes. “Dinky and Scootaloo came down with a case of ‘End of Vacation Blues’. They go back to school tomorrow, and they’ve been moaning about it all morning. It’s bound to get worse by tonight.”

“Ahh, I see,” I said. “I know the feeling all too well. Well, tell them and your mom I said hi.”

“Will do,” said Sparkler, smiling again. “Take care, Dave.”

“You too.”

Sparkler closed the door, and I headed, not for home, but for Ponyville. Yes, Ironmane had given me an assignment, but I had piano lessons to attend first. Being a music lover himself, he ought to have understood.

***

“You’re getting better, Dave.”

“You’re being too nice, Bon Bon, really.”

“No, no, Bonnie’s right. You’re definitely improving. It’s at least sounding like something now.”

“Lyra!”

“I’m kidding, Bonnie, I’m kidding!”

The first half of today’s lesson was devoted to a crash course on reading sheet music by both Bon Bon and Lyra. Even knowing that, it was still a chore to remember which key was where, then translating that information to note placement on the sheets. Still, even I had to admit that it was making my playing sound a bit more coherent. It still sounded clunky and awkward, but I was getting closer.

“So how are things at home, Dave?” Bon Bon asked, when I was taking a break.

“Not too bad. I’m working on a project for Sparkler, and have a new one from Ironmane waiting for me. If you mean the diet, I’ve been getting tips from the cookbook Fluttershy got me for Hearth’s Warming, from Chef Bon Appetit.”

“Ah, what a coincidence!” said Bon Bon, sounding delighted. “I follow Bon Appetit’s recipes all the time!”

“For the healthy stuff and the sweet stuff,” said Lyra, earning her a reproachful look from Bon Bon.

“Have you girls got a weight goal set?” I asked. “I just want to drop at least 10, maybe 15 pounds this winter.”

“Actually, we do,” said Bon Bon. “10 pounds by Winter Wrap-Up. Perfectly doable.”

“Mm-hmm,” said Lyra, nodding.

“Winter Wrap-Up? I remember hearing that name before, but what is it?”

“A yearly event in Ponyville,” said Lyra. “In the beginning of March, we clear away all the snow, bring back the southern birds, wake up the hibernating animals, melt the ice, and replant the crops and flowers. In short, we bring in spring.”

She said this in a completely casual tone, as though she were talking on the telephone. Now, I had been baffled when they first told me that autumn came about by the ponies racing past trees and bringing the autumn leaves down. Bringing in spring manually, basically doing everything nature did naturally back home, was even more mind-blowing!

“And all without magic,” added Bon Bon. “It’s tradition.”

All I could honestly say was,

“Oh.”

“Don’t worry, big guy,” said Lyra, clapping my on the back. “We’ll find you something to do when Winter Wrap-Up comes along. Just leave it to Twilight, our All-Team Organizer.”

This information did help to drag me out of my amazement.

“Heh. Sounds like exactly the sort of thing she’d be,” I said.

“You alright?” asked Bon Bon.

“Yeah. I’m just...a little staggered that ponies do everything to manage the weather and seasons in this land. I barely shovel my own driveway back home.”

“Wish we could do that here,” said Lyra, stretching her forelegs over her head. “It’d save us all a lot of work.”

“Yes, because your day-to-day routine is just as exhausting as those of the pegasi,” said Bon Bon, dryly.

“I can’t help it,” said Lyra. “They have more muscles than I do.”

“Well, they certainly use more muscles than you do, at any rate,” said Bon Bon.

Not wanting the argument to escalate, I went back to my piano practice, and all further snarky comments were directed at me. Oh, goody.

***

Before dinner, I leafed through the list of creatures Ironmane gave me. Some I recognized on sight, like ‘manticore’, ‘cockatrice’, and ‘timberwolf’, but there were also some I’d only heard of because of hearing their names from friends, like ‘parasprite’ or ‘changeling’, and others I had never even heard of back at home, like ‘cragadile’, ‘Breezie’ or ‘tatzlwurm’. I didn’t feel like badgering Twilight at this hour, so I decided to grab the Equestrian history book the princesses had given me and leaf through it for historical references to take notes on. This meant flipping back and forth from the index to the rest of the book: a tedious but necessary evil.

As it turned out, nearly all of these creatures had factored into some great event in Equestrian history. Invasions of timberwolves had happened more than once, but were thankfully subdued, such as when the minotaurs drove a pack of them into a maze. Parasprites had also been the cause of famine too often for comfort, since they apparently ate everything edible in sight and multiplied like mad. There were also accounts of dangerous beasts going on the rampage, like manticores and chimeras, some of them only having been stopped by intervention from Princess Celestia.

Not all of it was bad, however. The orthros, for example, was regarded as the first creature native only to Equestria to be exported to countries across the sea, where they were kept as faithful pets and guard dogs. Migrations of the Breezies were also mentioned, as the towns they passed through needed to keep a breeze going for them to keep the magic protecting their pollen intact. There were also accounts of the initially-bad arrival of ‘vampire fruit bats’, but which ended up for the best, as the seeds they spit out after draining fruit grew into even healthier, more productive fruit trees.

I was still somewhat baffled by the accounts of some of these creatures, since I didn’t have a firm grasp on what they were. Well, that was for another day. For now, I’d gotten what I needed out of this book, and was exhausted and starving after sitting hunched over a book, writing myself into a cramp. This was why I preferred typing to writing, but how did typewriters in Equestria work when you only had hooves to work with?

I got up to make some dinner, when there came a knock at the door. This time, however, it was a decidedly unusual knock. Each one sounded like the squeaking of a rubber ducky. Was someone seriously knocking a rubber ducky against my door? Puzzled, I opened it up to find Screwball standing there, dressed in a parka that was a psychedelic, practically eye-watering mishmash of colors.

“Screwball!” I said. “This is a pleasant surprise. How are you?”

Screwball smiled and wagged her messy tail.

“Would you like to come in? I was just about to make dinner. I’d be happy if you could join me.”

She nodded, then stepped inside. As I closed the door, she began taking in her surroundings. By that, I mean she twisted her head around on her neck as if she were an owl, gazing about with interest at my humble abode. Honestly, anything she didn’t shouldn’t have surprised me at this point. She’d already demonstrated unusual bowling skills and other bizarre abilities.

“It’s not much,” I said, “but it’s home. Make yourself comfortable, and I’ll get something started.”

Screwball removed her parka and gave it a casual toss, whereupon it landed, neatly folded into an origami crane of its own accord, on the armchair, while she plunked her hindquarters down on the sofa. Impressive, I had to admit. I went to busy myself in the kitchen, using my new cookbook as a guide. I’d found a great recipe for low-fat homemade macaroni and cheese that still kept a delightfully cheesy flavor. I just hoped Screwball liked it.

About 15 minutes later, I returned with two hot bowls of mac and cheese. Screwball perked up at the smell, running her tongue across her lips in anticipation.

“Hope you like it,” I said, handing her a bowl and spoon. “It’s from Chef Bon Appetit’s cookbook.”

Screwball looked pleased, then began gulping it down, regardless of its heat.

(Sheesh, you and Vinyl both share the same flameproof mouth.)

We ate in relative silence, Screwball finishing her bowl faster than I did, and even politely, if silently, requesting a second helping, which I gladly got her. Once we were both finished, the two of us sat together on the couch, Screwball resting a hoof on her full, contented stomach.

“I’m really glad you decided to drop by, Screwball,” I said. “I’ve been meaning to invite you, but one thing kept leading to another. I just hope I haven’t disappointed you by making you wait this long.”

Screwball shook her head and patted my arm in a reassuring way.

“Good. I hate letting people, or ponies, down, and I’m glad you understand. So, did you have fun at the New Year’s party? I saw you partnering Zecora during Pinkie’s Fun Dance.”

Screwball nodded, actually letting out an audible giggle, though it did sound like it came from a 50-year-old man.

“Yeah, it was a great night,” I said. “But Tuesday’s gonna be great, too, because it’s our bowling night, and my first one with my new bowling ball.”

Screwball smiled toothily, wagging her tail.

“Of course, I doubt I’m gonna surpass you,” I said, teasingly. “You’re unstoppable.”

Screwball’s smile turned into a bashful one, and she waved a hoof as if to say ‘Aw, shucks’.

“Just figured I’d ask, but do you have any tips?”

Screwball tapped her chin in contemplative thought, then shook her head with a small shrug.

“Ah, well,” I said. “Just comes naturally to you, huh?”

Screwball smiled slightly and pointed to her cutie mark.

“Oh?” I asked. “Is that what your talent is? Being able to do the unpredictable, without needing magic?”

Screwball gave me a look and shrug that seemed to say ‘That’s one way of putting it’.

“Well, I think it’s a great talent to have,” I said. “You’re something special, Screwball.”

She looked up at me, at the earnest smile on my face, then smiled back and wrapped her hooves around me in a tight hug, nuzzling her cheek against mine, which made a sound akin to someone rubbing a balloon. I returned the hug, and as I released her, as though she had just come to a sudden realization, she hopped to her hooves and picked up her parka, which unfolded out of its origami state.

“Oh, you need to head home?” I asked. “All right, then. Thanks for coming by, Screwball, and don’t be shy about visiting in the future.”

She nodded her understanding, and I walked her to the door.

“Good night,” I said, opening it up for her.

“Good night.”

...She just spoke. Again!

Smiling as if nothing at all had just happened, she trotted away through the snow, while I watched her off, still bemused. She was a very, very odd pony, but she was still a good friend just the way she was.

Author's Note:

Don't forget, those who have yet to cast their votes in: who would you like to see have an alternate POV chapter devoted to for Chapter 100? It can be any character seen throughout the entirety of the story. :pinkiesmile:

PreviousChapters Next