• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,379 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,379

PreviousChapters Next
Hearth's Warming Eve

It was Hearth’s Warming Eve at last, only one more day until the big one. I was up earlier than usual, making sure the house still looked presentable for the arrival of the Pie sisters. I was just as anxious as when I was waiting for the slumber party guests to arrive, if not more so. I had no idea when they would arrive, but I would not be caught off-guard with a filthy house. It was about half-past 9 when I was finally satisfied, wiping my sweaty brow.

“Now then,” I said to myself, in a business-like tone, “First order of business: start delivering the gifts for everypony. While I’m at it, I should also try to find something for Moonlight, even if it’s not what I had planned at the start.”

I couldn’t suppress a grin as I imagined myself dressed like St. Nick, hauling a wagon full of presents behind me and laughing with a merry ‘Ho ho ho!’ I shook my head to clear my thoughts, then said,

“Ok, then. First stop: Sweet Apple Acres. I’ll just grab their gifts, and maybe the chocolate fountain, since the clubhouse is on the way, and we can get started.”

***

I didn’t encounter any of the Crusaders on my way to the clubhouse, so the chocolate fountain, with its card, was stowed away inside for all of them to see. With that out of the way, it became so much easier to see where I was going, so I headed for Sweet Apple Acres. As I approached, the strongly sweet smell of baking apples and cinnamon filled my nostrils, telling me that the Apples were making pies. Even though I’d already had breakfast, my stomach began rumbling.

Apple Bloom was playing with Winona in the snow. Fortunately, she didn’t spy me as I headed for the house. Hopefully she stayed there, because I didn’t want an awkward situation where I’d have to explain why I didn’t have a present for her. Of course, I knew she’d love the chocolate fountain, but I didn’t want to hurt her feelings accidentally, and I had no clue if ponies had some Santa-like figure I would be spoiling for her.

Inside, Big Macintosh was seated on a hearth rug, a book opened on the floor in front of him, and which seemed to be keeping him completely absorbed. The kitchen door was closed, but I could hear clattering coming from it, telling me that Applejack and Granny Smith were hard at work. Not wanting to look like I was just barging in, I knocked on the side of the door frame, and Big Mac looked up from his book.

“Howdy, Dave,” he said. “Happy Hearth’s Warmin’ Eve.”

“Same to you, Big Mac,” I said. “I’ve got gifts for all of you, and I had a favor to ask as well.”

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac, standing up. “Thank ya kindly.”

“My pleasure,” I said, handing the gifts to him. “Would you mind terribly if I borrowed a cart? I’ve got a lot more gifts to deliver.”

“Eenope. Ah’ll go and get one ready for ya.”

Setting the gifts under a decorated tree in the corner, Big Mac led me into the stables, where there were quite a few carts sitting at the ready, some looking almost brand-new, others in varying states of disrepair. He paused to tinker with one of them, and when he finally stepped away, I saw what looked like a rickshaw. I gripped the sidebars and gave it a preliminary pull. The wheels rolled as smooth as butter.

“Thanks a heap, Big Mac,” I said. “Now I won’t have to keep running back and forth to and from my house. I’ll bring it back once I’m all finished.”

“No rush,” said Big Mac. “Since you’re here, we might as well give ya our gift to you.”

He headed off before I could say anything, then returned with a hefty, gift-wrapped box, the wrapping paper a vivid green and spotted with pictures of apples. He set it gently inside the cart.

“Ohh, you guys didn’t have to go to the trouble,” I said, humbly.

“Weren’t no trouble at all,” said Big Mac, kindly. “Ah’ll let AJ and Granny know you stopped by.”

“Ok. Thanks again, Big Mac.”

Gripping the shafts, I wheeled the cart out of the barn. It got bumpier as it went into the snow, but thankfully, it wasn’t too deep, and I was soon cutting a double-track back toward home, ready to play Santa Claus with my fellow townsfolk.

***

With my cart now loaded up with Hearth’s Warming gifts (at least as many as it could carry), I was going to set out into Ponyville to seek out my friends, when I realized the Hooves’ were right there nearby. Grabbing the now gift-wrapped sign I had painted and the box for Derpy, I headed over and rapped on the door. For a few seconds, there was no answer, then the doorknob rattled, and Scootaloo pulled open the door, floating in the air to reach the latch.

“Hey, Dave!”

“Hiya, Scoot! How are you feeling?”

“Loads better! So’s Dinky. That stuff was nasty, but it sure did the trick. So what’s up?”

“Are your mom and Sparkler home?”

“No, Mom’s got mail duty, and Sparkler’s out doing some last-minute shopping. Why?”

“I’ve got some gifts for them,” I said. “Can you tell them I dropped by to deliver them? And by the by,” I added, in a sly voice, “I checked the clubhouse before coming over here. There might be something for the four of you in there.”

“Really?” asked Scootaloo, eagerly. “What is it?”

“‘Fraid I can’t say,” I said, shrugging. “However, I am going to trust that neither you nor the others will open it until tomorrow. Do I have your word on that?”

Scootaloo saluted with vigor.

“Crusader’s honor!” she said, stoutly.

“Atta girl,” I said, approvingly, and handed her the parcels one after the other, so she could set them down easily. “Thanks, Scoot. Tell Dinky I said hi, ok? I’ve got loads more to do.”

“I will. See ya, Dave!”

And she closed the door behind me as I went back to the cart, ready, for real, this time, to set out for Ponyville.

***

Now I knew what it felt like to be a cart horse hauling at a stagecoach or wagon. Well, perhaps not entirely, since this was a rickshaw rather than a harness cart. I waved to the ponies I passed, who greeted me in kind. I was near town square when a familiar, boyish voice rang out from above.

“Hey, Dave!”

Looking up, I spotted Rainbow Dash leaning over a cloud just above me, gazing at me.

“Nice cart!” she said.

“Thanks!” I called back. “Come on down here! I’ve got something for you!”

With her usual jet-engine roar, she soared down and landed in front of me, looking faintly puzzled. Digging around in the cart, I pulled out her gift and handed it to her, as if I were offering a sword to a king. This was partly because the rolled-up poster inside did make it nearly sword-like. Grasping it in her hooves, Rainbow looked at me with an eager smile on her face. I wondered if she already guessed what it was.

“Thanks, dude!” she said. “Just hang tight for a sec, k?”

She zoomed off into the air with the speed of a jet plane, disappearing among the clouds. Not even two minutes elapsed before she was back, the present I’d given her no longer in her hooves, but something flat, circular, and colorfully wrapped in its place.

“I got this for you,” she said, handing it to me. “If you’re going around handing out gifts, I might as well give you mine now.”

“Thanks, Rainbow,” I said. “Any idea what the weather will be like for today and tomorrow?”

“A light snowfall tonight, and clear skies tomorrow,” she said, proudly. “Perfect Hearth’s Warming weather.”

“Excellent! I’ll see you later, then. I’ve still got a lot to do.”

“Gotcha. See ya!”

And she zoomed off once again, while I carefully placed her gift into the cart, as I didn’t doubt it might be something fragile, and continued on.

***

This plan wasn’t exactly going as I had anticipated. I had knocked at the doors of practically every addressee on my list, but I received no answers, meaning they were all out on some holiday errand. My arms were already beginning to ache with tiredness from pulling the wagon. What was more, I was getting hungry. Maybe I’d head home, unload what I’d gotten already, have lunch, then set out again afterwards. I thought grimly that if I was already getting winded, I might be getting out of shape. Perhaps that could be my goal for January, to exercise more regularly.

Well, as long as I was here in town, I might as well find something for Moonlight. I was having to dip into my stipendiary dues a little for this, but if it meant getting that last gift, it would be worth it. I browsed the shop windows, still hauling the cart behind me. My eyes finally rested on the window display of what looked like a film shop. When I was a kid, I used to go to Blockbuster to check out a movie or video game. This was back when everyone still used VHS tapes. This place, however, sold movies on film reels. What really caught my eye, though, was a reel that had been placed front and center:

Daring Do: The Movie

My heart skipped a beat. I remembered, weeks and weeks ago, Scootaloo mentioning a Daring Do movie, and here it was! Moonlight would be nuts to have this, I just knew it! Even if she didn’t have a projector herself, the library had one, and I was sure Twilight wouldn’t mind letting her borrow it. Heck, Twi and Rainbow could watch it with us! It was perfect!

Within minutes, I’d bought the reel (making a small dent in my stipendiary savings), and had it stowed away in the wagon, wrapped to keep it from being damaged by the cold. It felt as if a lead weight had lifted from my heart. I’d found something for Moonlight after all. My mission was complete. This would be a happy Hearth’s Warming after all.

I headed back home, unloaded the cart of everything, along with what I’d already received in return, and placed them in another corner, so as not to confuse them with my pile of ‘to deliver’ gifts. After that, I went to the kitchen to get something started.

I was just finishing a cheese sandwich when there came a rapid knock at the door. I nearly choked on the last mouthful, but forced it down.

“Is that them already? Good gravy!”

I went to put my plate away, during which the knock persisted again.

“Coming!” I called, hurrying to the door.

When I opened it up, however, it was neither of the Pie sisters. It was a gruff-looking, burly stallion with heavy five o’clock shadow.

“You Mr. Dave?” he asked, in a rough, Brooklyn accent.

“Er, yes.”

“Need ya to sign here.”

He thrust a clipboard under my face, a pencil attached to it.

“What for?” I asked.

“Special delivery from Ms. Bon Bon and Ms. Lyra Heartstrings.”

From Lyra and Bon Bon? This must have been what they were talking about. Intrigued, I took the pencil and signed my name. As soon as I had, the clipboard was whisked away.

“Where d’ya want it?” asked the stallion.

“Er, I dunno. Wherever’s convenient, I suppose.”

The unicorn turned away from me and shouted over his shoulder,

“All right, boys! Take ‘er away!”

The next thing I knew, a blinding flash of light filled the living room. Spots winking in front of my eyes, I blinked several times, but even with my vision cleared, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Two sturdy-looking unicorns had appeared inside my house, both with a hoof on either side of something large, rectangular, and wrapped in a thick tarp. It had been set against one of the side walls, where it had plenty of room. This done, they doffed their caps to me and stepped out.

“Happy Hearth’s Warmin’,” grunted the head stallion, and he took his leave.

It took me a few moments to unjam my brain from that little bout of ‘what the heck’. I closed the door and looked at the huge object I had just received. Well, perhaps ‘huge’ was an exaggeration, as it was close to myself in height. Pinned to the tarp was a note that read,

To Dave
From Bon Bon and Lyra
Do not open until Hearth’s Warming Day

The bottom of the note contained a watermark that looked like Bon Bon’s cutie mark. As neat as it was to imagine that she had her own personalized stationery, I was blown away by the sheer size and bulk of this...whatever it was! What could they have possibly sent me? A bookcase, perhaps? It seemed as big and in the same shape as one.

There was another knock at the door, knocking me out of my thoughts. Hurriedly, I opened it up to encounter Derpy’s beaming face.

“Oh! Hey, Derpy. Still working even on the Eve?”

“Hiya, Dave! Don’t worry, I’ve got tomorrow off, doubly so since it’s Sunday. Lucky, huh? You’ve got some mail, and one of these looks really flashy!”

She handed over two letters, one looking very official, and the other, as Derpy had said, rather gaudy in appearance, covered in blue stars. As I looked at it, I could have sworn the stars twinkled.

“Thanks, Derpy,” I said. “Got a happy Hearth’s Warming planned?”

“Of course,” said the motherly mare, brightly. “In fact, I’d love for you to share it with us.”

“Come again?” I asked, puzzled.

“How would you like to spend Hearth’s Warming Eve with us? We’ll have plenty of food, and the girls would love to have you.”

At first, I hesitated. Derpy wanted me to spend the Eve with her and the girls? Did she know I had no one else to spend it with? With a powerful feeling of warmth and appreciation, I said,

“Thanks, Derpy. I’d love to.”

Derpy beamed.

“Great! Well, I’d better get the rest of my deliveries sorted out. See you then!”

Derpy flapped away to continue her deliveries, while I looked over the letters I’d received. Opening the official one first, I read out,

Dear Mr. David,
This is to inform you that you have been granted a year’s free subscription to the Ponyville Express, in accordance with your diligent and appreciated patronage.
Happy Hearth’s Warming,
Headliner
Editor-in-Chief

“Well!” I said, pleased. “That’s friendly of them. I won’t say no to this.”

Setting this aside, I opened the other letter. I had a feeling who it was from when I first laid eyes on the flashy envelope, but I was confirmed upon opening the parchment inside. It was stamped with watermarks of a very familiar magic wand-esque cutie mark, and the handwriting was bold, grand, and loopy.

Dear Dave,
Your holiday greetings have been appreciated by one who has captured Manehattan by storm. As one of my most committed fans, Trixie is willing to share some of her holiday glory with you. Be grateful, for it is surely the best present that one such as yourself can receive. Everything is going splendidly on Trixie’s tour of Equestria! The name of Trixie has regained much of its old respect, and her fanbase has swelled to new heights! Trixie can’t say she’s surprised Ponyville is lacking without her presence; she dares say she brought a little liveliness to the charming but dull little burg when she arrived. Trixie hopes you are doing well and are in good spirits. You need not pine for her long; when winter has passed and spring returns once more, you may find her not as far away as you think.
Happy Hearth’s Warming!
Festively yours,
The Great and Powerful Trixie

Her signature was just as good as an autograph, and I couldn’t help chuckling. It was good to know that Trixie was still doing well for herself, and even better that she was thinking of returning to Ponyville. I wouldn’t be sorry for another sight of her. I set her letter and the one from Headliner safely to one side, then got ready to pack the cart up again.

***

I was just stepping out of the house, loading the last of the parcels into the cart, when I saw a familiar shape bouncing towards me. As most ponies I knew, with the exception of the Crusaders, usually just walked or trotted, my guess was that a Pinkie encounter was coming along.

Sure enough, it was Pinkie, looking jubilant. Before I could react, she pounced, tackling me into one of her bone-bending embraces.

“Hi, Davie!” she sang, nuzzling me affectionately. “Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve!”

“Same to you, Pinkie,” I said, in a strained voice. “What brings you around here?”

“My hooves brought me,” said Pinkie, giggling. “They seemed to want me to come and see you, since we’ve both been so busy lately. Who was I to say no?”

“Well, I am glad to see you, Pinks,” I said, giving her a squeeze. “Got any plans for today?”

“I was gonna go around and deliver gifts to all of my friends. They’ve been piling up lately.”

I blinked at her. She was on the same errand as I was?

“Really?” I asked.

“Yes indeedy!”

She peeked past me to look at the loaded cart.

“What’s that for?” she asked.

“Funnily enough, some of it is for you,” I said. “I was on my way out the door to see you, and there you are.”

“Ooh! That is funny!” said Pinkie, grinning. “You must’ve known I was coming!”

Her expression suddenly grew very serious, and she reared up, pressing her nose against mine and boring into my eyes with her sharp, baby-blue gaze. It was like she was trying to employ Legilimency on me.

“Are you...psychic?” she whispered, dramatically.

“Er, no.”

“Wow,” she said, pulling away again. “Could have fooled me. For a second, I thought you’d been reading my mind.”

(Trust me, Pinkie: you’re my best friend, but I would never want to learn what goes on in your head.)

“Well, Pinkie, this is for you.”

I fished around in the cart and pulled out the parcel that was her wrapped bag of candy. Upon spying it, her eyes lit up, and she eagerly accepted it into her hooves. She gave it a hard stare, bouncing it slightly in her hooves. She was muttering something under her breath, as though she knew its weight to the ounce.

(It’s like she already knows what it is. Was there even a point in wrapping it?)

However, she looked at me with a bright smile and said,

“Thanks, Davie! No idea what it could be, but I can’t wait to see!”

(I stand corrected.)

“I’ve got you a little something too!” she went on.

Setting her present down, she raised her tail and gave it a sharp flick, as though batting at a fly. Something bulky and wrapped came flying out of the dark-pink fluff and landed with a *thump* in the snow. I felt my jaw fall open. How in the world had she kept that in there?!

“Pinkie...how did...what the…”

“Oops! Almost forgot the card!”

She took a deep breath and covered her snout with her hoof, so that her cheeks bulged. With a small *pop*, an enveloped card sprung from the top of her mane, like toast from a toaster! As casually as if she were answering a telephone call, she placed it in my hand, and, with an effort, I shut my gaping trap.

“Hey,” said Pinkie, slowly, as if an idea had dawned on her, “I just got a great idea! How about I give you a hoof and deliver your gifts for you? I mean, I’m already planning to hand out my gifts to everypony, so why not do yours too? It’d, uh...what was that phrase you used again? Murder a bird twice with a rock?”

(We’re not seriously doing this again, are we?)

“Kill two birds with one stone?” I asked, dryly.

“Yeah!”

“I dunno, Pinkie. I don’t want to load you with so much.”

“It’s no biggie! I wanna help you! Besides, no offense, pulling carts is more of a pony thing than a human thing.”

Before I could offer another word of protest, she had hopped behind the pull bar. She smiled at me innocently.

“Pinkie, if you really wanna do this, more power to you,” I said, in a defeated voice. “I just don’t want to give you too much to do.”

“It’s ok, Davie. I’ll be fine. It’s gonna be a busy day for me anyway. See ya later!”

With that, she headed off, trotting briskly rather than bouncing, with the cart rolling smoothly behind her. She was humming tunelessly as she went, as I had often heard her do when she was in high spirits. She did seem to be enjoying herself, so my protests were falling on deaf ears, and all I could do was awkwardly wave goodbye as she looked back. On the other hand, I would have liked to have been able to spend time with her, rather than just let her take on work I should have been doing. I inwardly swore to myself that I would find a day to dedicate to nothing but time with my best pony pal.

***

I was rearranging the furniture in the house for what felt like the tenth time, trying to make it look the most cozy for the arrival of guests. Even if they weren’t the stiffest ponies in the world, I still couldn’t help wondering how critical an eye rock farmers had for interior decorating, if they were so fastidious about rock placement. I probably couldn’t judge them by Pinkie’s standard, and she was the only other rock farmer I knew of.

There came another knock at the door. I froze. Could it be them at last? Feeling slightly nervous, I headed to the door and opened it, but once again, there was no Pie sister on the doorstep. Instead, there was Moonlight, smiling sweetly and looking excited about something.

“Hi, Dave!” she said.

“Hey, Moonlight. You’re very cheery today.”

“I’ve got plenty of reason to be!” she said, a slight squeal in her tone. “The Hooves invited me over to spend the Eve with them!”

“Really?” I asked, amazed. “You too?”

“Derpy came by after delivering the mail. When I told her I had no plans for today or tomorrow, she invited me over to spend the rest of the day with them!”

I felt another surge of gratitude towards Derpy, accompanied by sympathy for Moonlight. The young pegasus and I were practically in the same boat, and to allow the both of us to share the holiday with her was one of the kindest acts Derpy had ever done.

“That’s wonderful, Moonlight. Why don’t we head on over together? I’m expecting some company, but I was already going to leave a note and say where I’m going.”

“Ok!” said Moonlight. “Who are you expecting?”

Making sure Pinkie wasn’t anywhere near here (that crazy pony sometimes scared me with her potential to pop up anywhere), I leaned down and whispered,

“Pinkie’s sisters.”

Moonlight looked quite astonished.

“Her sisters?”

“Yeah. It’s part of my gift for her. She’ll go nuts to see them again, I know it!”

Moonlight beamed.

“You always know how to think of everything, don’t you?” she asked.

“I try,” I said, modestly.

***

“Dave! Moonlight! Welcome!”

Derpy had flung the door wide open when she saw it was the pair of us, and we entered. The Hooves household was very warm, due to the roaring fire crackling merrily in the fireplace. A magnificently-decorated tree stood in another corner, covered in gleaming ornaments and garlands of tinsel. Only the star remained to be placed on top, and Scootaloo and Dinky were arguing over who should place it on. Sparkler, looking irritable, was trying to break up the squabble, and looked relieved to see us enter.

“Ah! Hello, Dave, Moonlight!” she said.

My fellow Crusaders looked up at the mention of the name, and grinned welcomingly at us.

“What’s all the fuss about?” Derpy asked.

“Scootaloo wants to put the star on just so she can show off flying again!” Dinky protested.

“No I don’t!” said Scootaloo, indignantly. “I just think it’s safer than you trying to magic it up!”

“Girls, girls,” said Derpy, stepping between them and separating them. “Please don’t bicker, not on Hearth’s Warming Eve…”

I couldn’t help feeling a little alarmed. Scootaloo and Dinky had always got along very well with each other. I had never seen them arguing before. Then again, no batch of brothers or sisters was ever perfect. I well remembered the constant bickerings I had with my older sister, though we had grown much more mellow with each other after growing up. I supposed this was just an inevitable part of being siblings, adoptive or biological.

“I don’t see what’s to argue about,” Moonlight piped up. “Can’t Scootaloo just lift Dinky and have her put the star up?”

“Yeah,” I chipped in, catching on. “That way, you both would be doing it.”

Scootaloo and Dinky blinked at us, then at each other. In unison, they cried,

“Why didn’t I think of that?”

No more was said on it, and Scootaloo, tucking her forelegs under Dinky’s, lifted her up to the top of the tree, the star clutched in the unicorn’s tiny hooves. Slowly, with her tongue sticking out, as if this were a precise art, she placed the star on top, and those of us below applauded. The two descended slowly, looking both pleased and sheepish.

“Well, now that that’s taken care of,” said Derpy, “who’d like some eggnog?”

***

It was one of the best holiday get-togethers I had yet experienced. Sparkler’s magic dished out eggnog, holiday cookies, fudge, and other eatables. These were set out for anypony’s convenience if they felt peckish, and I saw Scootaloo and Dinky trying to restrain themselves from diving at the cookies and fudge, though they kept shooting furtive glances at them. I knew how they felt; I had an incurable sweet tooth. Moonlight was the most at her ease I’d ever seen her, talking and laughing freely as she sipped her eggnog. It was almost like she was part of the family herself.

The conversation was mostly this and that, but I was most interested to hear Sparkler say she had met with Minister Ironmane and Brutus.

“Everything went very smoothly,” she told me. “I don’t know what you said about me, but they were quite agreeable with the situation.” For a brief instant, her face became stony, and she said, in a clipped and official tone, “‘You drive a very hard bargain, Miss Hooves, but I’m a Canterlot stick-in-the-mud, and I approve of any deal that will get me out of having to smell this dragon’s breath for one more minute.’”

This got a laugh from all of us, especially me, even though Ironmane would have killed me if he could hear us now.

“I said nothing bad, I assure you,” I said, unable to hide a grin. “But this is fantastic! I knew you were would be the perfect pony for this, Sparkler!”

Sparkler smiled gratefully.

“A whole restaurant for dragons,” breathed Scootaloo. “I still can’t wrap my head around it. It’ll be huge! One table would probably be as big as a mountain!”

“Well, I for one think this is an excellent venture,” said Derpy. “I’ve heard some nasty stuff about mail ponies getting attacked by dragons when they fly over the wastelands, as though they were the only delivery game in town. It’s high time we started cooperating, even if their packages come out smelling like rotten eggs.”

“Hear, hear,” I said, raising my half-full glass of ‘nog, and one of my eyebrows at the odd comments.

“Hey, Dave?” Dinky piped up. “What’s it like where you come from, around this time of year?”

I lowered my glass, frowning slightly. It wasn’t because I was annoyed with Dinky, but because I was weighing my answer.

“Very similar to this,” I said. “Where I come from, we celebrate several different holidays, depending on what system of beliefs you follow. My family celebrates a holiday called Christmas, which is very much like Hearth’s Warming.”

The fillies ‘Oooh’ed, and the mares listened with rapt attention.

“Tell us more!” said Moonlight, eagerly.

“All right, all right. Where to begin?”

I don’t know how long it took, but I found myself descending into an explanation of everything I could explain about Christmas. I told them about the exchange of gifts, the stockings hung by the fire, the carols and songs we sang, the tradition of a man and woman kissing under the mistletoe (this sent the mares into a fit of the giggles, though Scootaloo and Dinky both said ‘Eww!’), the evenings spent in front of the fire roasting chestnuts and marshmallows, decorating Christmas trees and stringing lights around our houses, and finally, the legend of Santa Claus and his yearly nighttime sleigh ride to deliver gifts to all of the good children of the world. The fillies liked this best of all, while Derpy said it sounded ‘very sweet’.

“An old man delivering gifts to everyone in the world in one night?” Moonlight asked. “How does he manage it?”

“Magic,” I said, lazily.

“Ohh, that makes sense, then,” said Sparkler, satisfied.

From there, the conversation became general once again, though I was occasionally asked to re-clarify something I had told them about Christmas. The songs I had described to them seemed to strike their fancy, and they attempted to sing them for themselves, especially enjoying ‘Frosty the Snowpony’ and ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pegasus’. Scootaloo’s vocalizations, however, left much to be desired. Thankfully nopony had to force her to stop; she ended fairly quickly.

It felt strange; during my first week in Ponyville, I had sat down for a Q&A with Twilight, Lyra, and Spike, and didn’t think I’d be doing something similar anytime after. The idea of making a big speech to all of Equestria had long since died away, though I felt sure Twilight hadn’t completely forgotten. Still, I felt much more at ease describing stuff about my own world, especially with such an attentive audience. Who knows? I might get there eventually.

The afternoon passed by very pleasantly in a haze of talking, jokes, singing, and we were all feeling very content as evening came. Sparkler got up and disappeared into the kitchen, probably to get dinner started, and sure enough, we could smell something wonderfully tantalizing coming from the kitchen. Even after the little nibbles I’d been having from time to time, I was beginning to get hungry.

“I really should give her a hoof, make sure she’s got everything under control,” said Derpy.

“No, just relax, Mama,” said Dinky, placing her little hooves on her mother’s foreleg. “You did so much today. You ought to relax.”

“Oh, Dinky, you’re so sweet,” cooed Derpy, giving the unicorn a kiss on the forehead.

I couldn’t help but feel like Dinky was trying to keep her mother out of the kitchen. Whether this was because Sparkler preferred to cook by herself, or because she was worried that Derpy would set their kitchen on fire, I wasn’t sure. That had been one funny story, but I don't think they wanted it to happen again this year. Still, the compliment felt genuine.

“Come and get it!” came Sparkler’s voice, some time later.

None of us needed to be told twice. As one, we leaped up and headed for the dining room, where plate after plate and dish after dish of piping hot food were being laid out. As we took our seats, I could see mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, rolls, butter, quiche, mashed yams, applesauce, and, as the center of attention, a veggie pot pie. There were pitchers of milk and apple juice standing like sentinels at either end. At least, I hoped it was juice, rather than cider.

“It all looks wonderful, Sparkler!” said Derpy, proudly, as her eldest daughter sat beside her.

“Thanks, Mom,” said Sparkler. “It was my first time making a pot pie, so I hope it turned out all right.”

The ponies seemed to be preparing to divvy out the food, but I had a sudden inspiration. I’m not sure if they noticed me or not, but I closed my eyes, clasped my hands in my lap, and bowed my head, in prayer.

“Dave, what are you doing?” I heard Scootaloo ask.

“Nothing, Scootaloo,” I said, raising my head at last. “I was just praying for everypony to have good fortune, and thanking God for getting to know such good friends.”

“Thanks!” said Scootaloo. “We’re glad to know you too.”

We began to dig in. The food was wonderful, and though I would probably regret it later, I couldn’t help taking second helpings of my especial favorites. Dinky had drizzled gravy over everything on her plate, something that earned her funny looks from Scootaloo, but the little unicorn seemed quite unfazed. There was little noise but the clinking of silverware on plates and comments on the excellency of the food. It felt like I was back home with my own family.

“Dave? Are you all right?” Derpy asked.

I gave a start. A tear had started working its way down my cheek, and I hadn’t even known. I wiped it away.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said. “I’m just...really grateful to be here with all of you. Thank you for allowing Moonlight and me to share Hearth’s Warming Eve with you.”

The four Hooves and Moonlight beamed at me.

“‘Course we’d invite you,” said Dinky. “You’re practically part of the family!”

“That’s right,” said Scootaloo.

“Thanks, girls,” I said, warmly.

Without another word, I returned to my plate..

***

I felt full to bursting. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d eaten so much, and my pants certainly hadn’t felt this tight when I had come over. I had barely managed to finish off one of Derpy’s specialty muffins for dessert, and I was now full and sleepy. Sparkler and Derpy were covering up what remained, and Moonlight’s eyes were half-closed, her hooves resting on her full stomach.

“Derpy, Sparkler, thanks very much for having us,” I said. “Today was absolutely wonderful.”

“Oh, it was our pleasure,” said Derpy, kindly. “You two don’t deserve spending the holidays alone.”

Despite the huge meal, Scootaloo and Dinky were still wide awake and full of energy. They seemed to be in great anticipation for tomorrow.

“You two can play for another hour,” said Sparkler, “but then it’s straight off to bed. There’s gifts waiting in the morning for all good little foals.”

“Yay!” the two cheered, as they jumped down from their seats.

“Don’t forget to say your good nights!” Sparkler said, just before they were about to rush off.

“Good night!” they said, in unison.

“Good night, kids,” I said. “Sleep well.”

Moonlight didn’t answer. She had already nodded off as the kids left.

“I think we should let her spend the night here,” said Derpy. “She can head home in the morning.”

“Yeah, that’d probably be the best option,” I said, “but I have to get going. I’m expecting guests of my own. Good night, you two.”

“Good night, Dave,” said Sparkler.

“I’ll walk you out,” said Derpy.

Standing up heavily, I followed Derpy to the door. There, she turned to me and said, with a wide, cheerful grin that set her eyes straight,

“Foals aren't the only ones who can get exactly what they wanted for Hearth’s Warming. I'd love to see the look on your face when you get our gift. It’ll be brilliant!”

I wasn’t quite sure what she meant, but the warm tone it was spoken in touched my heart, and I smiled gratefully.

“Thanks, Derpy. Good night.”

“Good night.”

She held the door open for me, and I headed off into the darkness. As I neared home, I turned around to gaze at the Hooves house again, but the door was already closed.

I had just taken off the note on the door and tucked it away in my pocket when I heard the creak of wheels coming up towards me. Turning around, I saw Pinkie wheeling the cart back, looking as chipper as if she had just woken up.

“Evening, Davie!” she said, brightly. “Everypony you had gifts for has been delivered to!”

“Awesome!” I said, relieved. “Thanks a bundle, Pinkie.”

“Didja have a good Eve?”

“Yeah. Moonlight and I spent it with the Hooves family.”

“Oh! That sounds like it was a lot of fun!”

“It was, believe me. Did you still have a good time wheeling that cart around?”

“Yep-a-roonie! I got to see all of my friends and make them smile as I handed out their gifts! I’m just gonna return the cart for you, then head on back home.”

“Pinkie, you’re too good to me,” I said, smiling.

“Only the best for my besties!” said Pinkie, sweetly. “G’night, Davie!”

“Good night, Pinkie.”

Pinkie trotted off, while I weighed my options. If the Pie sisters hadn’t arrived yet, I supposed I should go to the train station and meet them there. I was dead-tired, but I wasn’t about to blow this, either. So, with a supreme effort, I stepped away from my warm, snug home and started making my way toward the station.

***

I didn’t dare check my watch, as I didn’t want to know how long I was bullying myself into staying awake for. I just slumped onto a bench as soon as I arrived and sat, waiting for any sign of them, shivering slightly in the cold and snow. The late-night trains came bustling in, and my tired, aching eyes roved over every pony who came off at those times, but neither resembled Pinkie’s sisters. I was beginning to get nervous and rather impatient when suddenly, I spotted them!

I had only seen them once before I was ousted from the farm, but I felt I could still distinguish the two sisters from each other: Marble with her light gray coat and dark gray mane, Limestone with her purplish-blue coat and white-gray mane. Both were wearing loaded saddlebags, and looked tired but content. Closer to, I could see some subtle differences between them. For one, Marble, while not quite as much as Pinkie, was a little plumper than Limestone, and her face was much softer and gentler. For another, despite Pinkie describing Limestone's more abrasive temperament, she looked fairly amiable tonight; perhaps being off the farm had gotten some stress off her withers.

I got stiffly to my feet and went to greet them.

“Ladies!” I said, relieved. “I’m so glad you made it. Welcome to Ponyville!”

“Hello, Dave,” said Marble, kindly. “We’re really sorry we took so long.”

“We figured we’d surprise Pinkie the best if we came in when she might still be asleep,” said Limestone. "It's not easy to surprise her."

“It’s all right,” I said. “She’s going to be really happy to see you, I know it. Well, shall we?”

“Lead the way!” said the two in unison.

My legs felt like lead, and my head and eyes were aching with tiredness, but I lead the way back through town and toward my house. I kept glancing over my shoulder, both to make sure the two were still behind me, and to ensure that Pinkie didn’t spy them. I needn’t have bothered; all was clear, and I only succeeded in giving myself a pain in the neck.

“We’re really sorry about how Dad treated you,” said Marble. “It was really unfair to send you back by yourself, just because of what that Tribune mare wrote.”

"I would've loved to give her a piece of my mind," muttered Limestone, darkly.

“Don’t worry about it,” I said. “It’s all water under the bridge now, right?”

“Yeah,” said Limestone. “Pinkie’s told us a lot about you, though.”

“Has she?” I asked.

“Of course!” said Marble. “She seems very fond of you.”

“Yeah," said Limestone, with a chuckle, "almost like the two of you are-”

“Limestone!” chided Marble.

“Come on, I’m only kidding!”

I felt a rush of embarrassment heat my cheeks at these words, but it was thankfully hidden from their faces.

“Well, she is the one who found me and sheltered me when I first arrived,” I said. “I owe a lot to her.”

“So do we,” said Marble. “She taught us all to smile and have fun for the first time."

"You should hear some of the things she got up to before she left the farm,” said Limestone. "She was one wild filly after she got her cutie mark."

“But you still enjoy rock farming?” I asked.

“Of course,” said Limestone. “It's hard work, but that’s what makes it worth it.”

“Dad’s got the best rock collection in all of Equestria,” said Marble. “Nopony else seems very interested, though.”

“Not like that stops him,” said Limestone. “He knows Equestria’s full of ponies who take the fruits of the soil for granted.”

(Man, I never thought I’d meet ponies who were this passionate about rocks)

At last, we arrived at my house, and I bowed the two Pies inside. They looked about in mild interest at the interior.

“Very cozy,” said Limestone.

“What’s that over there?” Marble asked, pointing at the hulk that had been delivered to me.

“No idea,” I said. “I have to wait until tomorrow to find out. Well, ladies, I’ve already made arrangements. If you want, you can split the bed, while I crash on the couch.”

“Oh, no, none of that,” said Marble, in a gently reproachful voice. “Limestone and I have sleeping bags. We had a feeling you’d want to be chivalrous about this.”

“We appreciate it, Dave,” said Limestone, “really, but we’re not about to let you give up your bed.”

“You’re both sure?” I asked.

“Absolutely,” said the two in unison again.

“All right, then," I said, shrugging. "I can’t really say no if you already have sleeping bags. Make yourselves comfortable, then.”

The two set their saddlebags down in my bedroom, making very dull thuds as they touched the floor, pulled out tightly-coiled sleeping bags from them, and laid them out beside each other on the floor, near my bed. I allowed them to wash up and brush their teeth first before taking care of myself. By the time I was in my pajamas, I was more tired than I’d ever felt in my life, and I collapsed gratefully onto my bed, settling under the covers. The two sisters were already snuggled into their sleeping bags.

“Good night, Marble, Limestone,” I murmured.

“Good night, Dave,” said Marble.

“G’night,” said Limestone. “Thanks again for letting us stay.”

“No problem,” I said, punctuated by a massive yawn.

Feeling like I couldn’t hold it back any longer, I laid my head on the pillow, ready for a good night’s sleep.

Saturday, December 24

Author's Note:

With this chapter, we've reached over 400,000 words! :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next