• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,355 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,355

PreviousChapters Next
A Meeting with Her Majesty

When I opened my eyes, I couldn’t see any of the ceiling above me. In fact, I couldn’t see much at all. Everything was shrouded in vague blueness. I began to panic

“What the-? What’s going on? I can’t see! Twilight! Rainbow! I think I’m blind!”

My panic was met with raspy, cracked laughter that I recognized as Rainbow’s. How dare she laugh at me when I might be well and truly blind! Then, all of a sudden, everything became clear again. The blue shroud flitted away like a drawn curtain. Befuddled, I looked about me, and my eyes met the widely grinning face of Rainbow Dash, who had settled beside me atop the covers.

“Morning, sleepyhead!” she greeted, as if nothing had happened.

“Rainbow? What was…”

I stopped, because my eyes fell on her wing. It was half-folded.

In a flash, the pieces fit together in my mind.

“Rainbow Dash…” I said, sternly, “were you covering my eyes with your wing?”

“What makes you say that?” asked Rainbow, innocently.

Oh, so that was the game she was gonna play, was it? Fine. I could play along.

“Funny thing, actually,” I said, in a calm, nonchalant voice. “I woke up thinking I was blind, but that’s not entirely true. I did see something.”

“And what was that?”

“That whatever was blocking my eyes…was blue. Just like a certain someone I know.”

Rainbow said nothing, but continued to smile at me in a would-be innocent way.

“And you wanna know what else?” I went on, walking the fingers of my hand along the bed towards her. “Now that I reckon back, I think I could feel something on my face, too. Now, you could argue that it was a face mask for sleeping, but I wasn’t wearing one, now was I?”

She still said nothing, obviously relishing in the game.

“It was…soft, warm…feathery, you might say,” I said, my finger stopping at the tip of her wing.

“Why, Dave, whatever are you implying?” asked Rainbow, innocently.

“Implying? Why would I need to be implying anything, my dear Rainbow? I’m merely trying to-SWEET SASSY MOLASSEY! IS THAT A HIPPOGRIFF?!”

I shouted this out so suddenly, pointing sharply to the window, that Rainbow jumped and turned her head sharply round to look.

(Gotcha!)

In an instant, I pinned her to the bed and began a furious tickle assault on her, along her side and stomach. She burst into a fit of wild giggles in that crackly voice of hers, making it all the more funny and cute to listen to.

“C-Cut it out! That tickles!” she gasped out.

“You’re not fooling me, Rainbow!” I said. “I know it was you, so I wanna hear you fess up, and maybe I’ll let up on you!”

“O-Ok! Ok! I did it! It was just a joke! Just sto-ho-ho-hop!” she cried.

I removed my hold on her, and she lay there, panting and still giggling.

“In all seriousness,” I said, “I have to admit, you really got me.”

“Heh, thanks,” said Rainbow, having finally calmed down. “Not my best, but it’s a classic. You really got me, too, but I’ve got a couple criticisms.”

“And those are?”

“The ‘look over there’ trick is so last century. I could have seen it coming a mile away if you hadn’t shouted that in the middle of talking, so I’ll give you props for that. Also, tickling’s fine enough after a trick like that, but you should change it up a bit.”

“It’s really the only retaliation I know,” I admitted. “I don’t really like getting too violent.”

“And I’m not saying you have to,” said Rainbow. “Just, mix it up. Keep your victims guessing. And one more thing. ‘Sweet sassy molassey’? Really?…”

“It was the first thing that popped into my head, for some reason,” I said, sheepishly.

At that moment, there was a knock at the door.

“Who is it?” I called.

“Twilight,” came Twilight’s voice. “May I come in?”

“Of course.”

The doorknob glowed briefly, and Twilight appeared in the opened doorway.

“What in Equestria was all the noise coming from in here?” she asked.

“Oh, just a little pranking tit for tat,” I replied.

“Huh?”

“Rainbow pulled a fast one on me, so I did likewise. We were just goofing around, right, Rainbow?”

“Totally,” agreed my pegasus pal.

“Well, I’m glad that’s all that was about,” said Twilight. “From the sound of it, it was like Rainbow Dash was being tortured in here. In any case, you’d better get ready. I spoke with Princess Luna last night, and she said Princess Celestia will be expecting you at 10.”

“10? As in 10 AM?”

“Of course.”

“And right now it’s…”

I grabbed my watch and looked at it. The readout read 9!

“Aw, crud! I’ve gotta get ready!”

I jumped out of bed, went through my saddlebags and dug out my new clothes, still neatly folded.

“Would you two mind leaving the room until I’m done?” I asked, heading for the bathroom.

“Not at all. Come on, Rainbow,” said Twilight.

Rainbow jumped off the bed and followed Twilight, who shut the door behind them.

“I wish Twilight had warned me earlier,” I grumbled, closing the bathroom door behind me. “I hate feeling like I don’t have time to prepare. Then again,” I added, shedding off my pajamas, “I never did think about asking at what time this meeting would be. Hindsight, you always strike so cruelly…”

My initial stress had ebbed away by the time I was in the shower, taking care to scrub extra well, since I was meeting with royalty, after all. After that, I gave my teeth a vigorous brushing, cleaned my glasses, put on my fancy new duds, and carefully arranged my hair neatly with gel and a comb, as if I were getting ready for a wedding or something. I looked myself over in the mirror and said, with a slight grin,

“I wonder if this is how Fred Astaire felt before he went on stage.”

With that, I slipped on my gloves, put on my top hat, grabbed my cane, and exited the bathroom, heading straight for the suite door. I rapped at it gently with the cane, and Twilight opened it once again with her magic. She smiled upon seeing me in my attire, while Rainbow’s jaw dropped. She’d only seen me in my hat and cane, never in my full ensemble.

“How do I look?” I asked.

“Very handsome,” said Twilight.

“Wow…Dude, you look amazing!” said Rainbow. “Rarity made that for you?”

“She sure did. Hopefully now she can take a little break from human fashion. I don’t want her going overboard and putting herself behind schedule because of me.”

“Rainbow,” said Twilight, “if it’s all the same to you, I think I’d better come with Dave myself, seeing as how Princess Celestia is my mentor.”

“I gotcha,” said Rainbow. “I’m gonna go bum around Canterlot until you guys are done.”

“Going back to the Wonderbolt shop?” asked Twilight, wryly.

“And what if I was?” asked Rainbow, defensively.

“Easy, easy,” said Twilight, laughing slightly. “I’m just ruffling your feathers. You ready, Dave?”

“More than ready,” I said.

“Good luck, big guy!” said Rainbow.

“Thanks.”

With that, Twilight led the way down the hall, and I followed close behind, my heart thudding madly behind my ribs. It was finally time to meet the pony who was holding my fate in this world in her hooves…

***

The walk seemed to take an eternity, though it must have only really been a few minutes. In that single space of time, I was internally freaking out over what would happen when I came face to face with Princess Celestia. What would I say? What would I do? Obviously I would bow before her, but would I ever feel worthy enough to stand up again? What if nothing could be done about my situation, and I would be forced to freeload off of Pinkie and the Cakes until Twilight’s spell could be used again? This and a thousand more questions zipped through my mind like the words on an LED news ticker. It’s like they say: you die a thousand deaths before what you fear actually happens…

“Dave?”

“Gah!” I yelped, nearly jumping out of my skin. I clasped my hand to my chest and looked down. Twilight was looking up at me in a concerned way. “Oh…Twi, it’s just you.”

“Are you nervous?”

“…Very. I have no idea what to expect. Anything could happen. What if-?”

But Twilight stopped me right there, putting a hoof to my hand.

“Don’t worry about ‘what if’s. Concentrate on what actually happens. If you waste time worrying about what could happen, you’ll never be ready for what does happen.”

…There was sense in that. It sounded very much like Luna’s advice during my nightmare.

“…Thanks, Twi. That makes me feel a little better.”

“Just relax. You’ll be fine. Princess Celestia has always been very understanding.”

We had stopped before a very ornate set of double doors, where two unicorn guards were stationed.

“We’re a little early, I know,” said Twilight, “but I know how eager you must be to see her.”

“Eager? That doesn’t even begin to describe it,” I muttered.

“You must be the human,” said one of the guards. “You may pass.”

Their horns flared up, a yellow aura and a gray one, and the double doors swung open.

“Ladies first,” I told Twilight. She giggled lightly and stepped inside, me following.

We were in a long, high-ceiling room decorated with a rich red carpet from the door to the back, where the throne was situated. The walls were covered with an astonishing amount of stained-glass windows. One showed two alicorns, one white and one blue, circling around a demonic serpentine creature in the middle, his limbs a disarrayed mismatch of animal parts, even possessing mismatched wings. There was a look of astonishment or shock on his face.

Two more seemed to depict the same image between them, though with different central subjects. Six ponies were gathered together at the bottom, rays of light shining from them on a figure in the center. One of them showed the image of an alicorn rearing up, bathed in purple light. The other had that same serpent creature from the first window. In gazing at the windows, I found, to my astonishment, that I recognized the six ponies: Twilight and her friends, though Applejack was missing her hat. These must have been when the girls beat Nightmare Moon and Discord. They certainly were unsettling in appearance.

One more caught my immediate notice: one done all in pink. Two unicorns, at least I think they both were, were contorted to each make half of a heart shape, touching horn to horn and smiling contentedly. The one on the left was a stallion, wearing a formal suit, while the one on the right was a mare, wearing fancy shoes like the ones I saw on Luna. If that was the case, maybe she was a princess too, and so must be an alicorn.

And there, sitting at the back, on her throne, was a pony who could be none other than Princess Celestia herself.

The first thing I noticed was that she was tall. Very tall. Probably taller than me, though not by much. She was snow-white, and this, coupled with her large wings, gave her a distinctly swan-like appearance. Like her little sister, she was slender and long-legged, and her mane and tail flowed of their own accord. Unlike Luna’s, hers were streaked with pastel colors in a rainbow-like fashion: pink, purple, green, and blue. She had light pink eyes, a golden tiara behind her long horn, golden shoes, and a golden necklace with a purple gem in the center.

She was…beautiful.

I know that sounds weird, coming from a human about a pony, but she really was. Her face was wise, calm, and benevolent, and she had those eyes that, while lovely, also seemed penetrating, as if she could look within the depths of my mind through my own eyes. I was unnerved and awed all at once, and as soon as we came to the front step of her dais, I sank onto one knee, taking my hat off as I did so.

“Princess Celestia,” I murmured. “It’s a complete honor to finally be in your noble presence.”

I looked up at her, and saw that her face had broken into a kind smile.

“Welcome, my good David. The honor is all mine.”

She had a nice voice, the kind one wishes to hear a mother speak with. It denoted patience, compassion, and understanding. It didn’t even matter that she used the full version of my first name; somehow, when spoken from someone with such authority, it made it ok.

“And it’s good to see you once again, my faithful student,” she went on, turning to Twilight. She had bowed beside me as well.

“Likewise, Princess,” said Twilight, humbly, though with a big smile on her face. “I hope you don’t mind us being slightly early.”

“Not at all. It merely means we can begin sooner. Once Luna returns with Ironmane, we may get started.”

I felt an unpleasant lurch in my stomach. Ironmane was going to be here? Aw, nuts…

“Is something the matter?” asked Celestia.

“Er, no,” I said, in as calm a voice as I could adopt. “It’s just, I hadn’t expected to hear that Minister Ironmane would be in attendance as well.”

“Ah, that’s right. I’d nearly forgotten that he had paid you a visit last week. Well, as you are not native to Equestria, and he is the Minister of Foreign Affairs, getting you situated will fall partly under his jurisdiction.”

“That does make sense. I hadn’t thought of that,” I muttered to myself.

Did this mean I was going to have him dogging me once I was in my new home? Oh, criminy…

“While we’re on the subject,” Celestia went on, “I’m happy to report that I’ve completed going through the notes you made last Sunday, Twilight.”

“Oh?” asked Twilight, looking up eagerly.

“And I am pleased with what you’ve described. I still recall the days when I last made contact with humans, but I was surprised to hear how far they had progressed. You seem to live very similarly to us, David.”

“Oh, believe me, Your Majesty, I was baffled myself, and continually am,” I said.

Celestia then said, turning back to Twilight, “You can depend upon it that this little project of yours will factor in nicely as extra credit. I commend you for taking it up as a surprise for me.”

Twilight’s lavender face split into a beaming grin, her eyes sparkling. She didn’t say anything, but she merely bowed again.

“If I may, Your Highness?” I spoke up.

“Hmm?”

“In Ponyville, I’ve heard people talking about tales of humans in Equestria in the past, though none of them sounded conclusive. Could you perhaps lend some insight into what those days were like?”

To my discomfort, a slight frown appeared on Celestia’s noble face. She didn’t appear to like the question, and seemed to be trying to make a difficult mental decision. At last, she said,

“I realize how curious you must be to know, but I’m afraid now is not the time for such questions. Don’t fret; someday, you will know the full truth.”

“Oh…I understand, Your Highness.”

It was a faint disappointment to be denied conclusive testimony on humans as they had lived in this world, but if the ruler of this land deemed not the right time, there was no room to argue.

At that moment, the doors flew open again, and Princess Luna strode in, with none other than Minister Ironmane alongside her. That stiff, business-like look on his face was back.

“Ah, Luna, Ironmane,” said Celestia. “Excellent timing. We can get started now.”

I rose to my feet again, giving a low bow to the two newcomers.

“Princess Luna, Minister Ironmane. An honor to see you two again.”

To be perfectly honest, I only really felt this towards the former, but who was gonna know?

Luna nodded with a polite smile, and even Ironmane gave a curt nod of his own. The minister’s eyes then fell on Twilight, and he smiled slightly.

“Miss Sparkle,” he said, “it is good to see you again. How you’ve grown since I last saw you.”

“It’s good to see you too, Minister Ironmane,” said Twilight, pleasantly.

I guess these two really did have a kind of connection. It was almost weird seeing this bearded old vampire actually being friendly, almost like how I’d seen him when I first heard he and Twi were acquainted.

All of a sudden, there was a loud clatter that nearly made me jump out of my skin. A round wooden table had suddenly appeared out of nowhere, surrounded briefly by a golden glow. Right after that, with several ‘poof’s, five plush cushions appeared around it, also surrounded by the golden glow. I looked at Princess Celestia, and the mystery was solved. Her magic aura was that golden shine, and it was surrounding her horn at the moment.

“Make yourselves comfortable,” she said.

We all seated ourselves on the cushions, and I ended up between Twilight and Ironmane, so I was half comfortable and half uncomfortable.

“Now, then,” said Celestia, “you understand the significance of this meeting, David?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Good. Then tell us a little about how you’ve been getting by up to this point.”

“I believe,” said Ironmane, “that he has been staying with the Cakes of Sugarcube Corner. That is where I discovered him when I arrived.”

“Is this correct?” asked Celestia.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” I answered, feeling a little resentful of Ironmane butting in. “Nearly two weeks ago, I woke up in the fields outside Ponyville, with no idea what I was doing there or what I had been doing before I woke up. Pinkie Pie discovered me and took me under her wing. Metaphorically speaking,” I added.

“Of course. Continue.”

“She was gracious enough to let me stay with her in Sugarcube Corner up until now.”

“And what has made that arrangement different?” asked Ironmane. “You haven’t grown tired of Miss Pie’s company, have you?”

(Jeez, what is this, an inquisition?)

“Not in the least,” I said, coldly, annoyed that he would talk about Pinkie like that. “I’ll be so bold as to say, Minister, that Pinkie has been the most wonderful companion I could ask for. I’m not doing this as a poor return for her hospitality, but to lighten the burden I’ve caused over the past week or two.”

There was a moment’s silence, in which all four ponies regarded me in surprise for my words. At last, Ironmane said, in a stiffly civil tone,

“Of course. I meant no offense. Do proceed.”

After casting a distrustful half-glance at him, I turned to Celestia and said, “As I believe you are aware, Your Highness, Twilight had discovered a spell that could have taken me home. Unfortunately, the timing wasn’t favorable…”

“Yes, I remember,” said Celestia. “I’m terribly sorry it came about that way.”

“Well, we agreed that, until the next time Twilight could pull the spell off, I would have to stay in Ponyville. I’m not entirely regretful of it, Your Majesty, but I can’t continue to live as a freeloader off of Pinkie and the Cakes for what could be a whole year. I want to be an adult about this and handle my own affairs. That’s why Twilight suggested coming to you for advice.”

“Very well,” said Celestia, approvingly. “Twilight did indeed write to me about authorizing you as a stipendiary. Is that the course you wish to take?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. Whatever it is you require of me to do, I’ll do it straightaway and without fuss.”

I removed my hat as I said this and inclined my head, one hand on my chest.

“That is very gracious of you,” said Celestia. “Does anypony have a suggestion at what our noble human might be able to do for the kingdom?”

“Verily,” said Luna, “he might make a welcome addition into the Royal Guard.”

At this, I blanched. No way, no how was anyone going to draft me into the military.

“With all due respect, Princess Luna,” I said, “I’ve never been much of a fighter. I don’t think that would quite be for me, though I very much respect your judgment.”

“That is a pity,” said Luna. “You look as if you would do admirably with a spear or a lance.”

“It would certainly offer the element of surprise,” said Ironmane. “Nopony would ever expect to be attacked by a six-foot biped.”

(Sometimes I really hate you, Ironmane, I thought, bitterly)

“Maybe,” said Twilight, “he could work in the Canterlot library. He loves books, after all, don’t you, Dave?”

“I do,” I answered, “and I have always wanted to work in a library. However…”

“However what?” asked Twilight.

“That would mean having to move to Canterlot. Aside from how expensive it would be to live in such a fabulous city, I just can’t see myself leaving Ponyville behind, not after the time I’ve spent with you all there.”

“Oh, Dave,” said Twilight, tenderly.

Celestia and Luna looked at each other with smiles on their faces, though Ironmane was expressionless.

“I believe I might have a suggestion,” he said, “one that would enable him to not only stay in Ponyville, but provide a, ahem, invaluable service to the crown.”

“And that is?” asked Celestia.

“Foreign relations.”

He lost me.

“Beg pardon?” I asked.

“Foreign relations, my dear sir,” Ironmane went on. “You are a foreigner, are you not?”

“Well, sure.”

“Then you might be eligible for a prime position within our Canterlot Round Table. It is an advisory board comprised of the brightest minds of races within and beyond Equestria. Of course, seeing as how you are the only mind of your kind within Equestria, you shall surely suffice.”

Did he just imply that I was…? What a jerk!

“Of course, we wouldn’t dream of tearing you away from your home in Ponyville,” he went on, “so you might consider yourself ‘on-call’. By this, I mean we have the power to summon you whenever a meeting is to be held, but in the meantime, you are free to do as you please in Ponyville. How does that sound to you?”

I mulled it over in my mind. Me, part of a committee like the United Nations? I’d never even considered such a thing.

Was Ironmane suggesting this for my own good, or was he trying to trip me up? He wouldn’t dare try anything like that in front of Princess Celestia, would he? He did vaguely threaten to report Scootaloo to an orphanage, but then again, he had probably just been trying to do his job. This guy was unfathomable; was he my enemy, or was he not really even on my side? I just didn’t know…

On the plus side, being on call meant I could still stay in Ponyville. Maybe it was worth a shot after all…

“Isn’t this a trifle ambitious, Minister?” asked Luna, interrupting my thoughts. “We are not even sure Sir Dave has experience in this field.”

“I’m not saying it’s a walk in the park, Your Highness,” said Ironmane, “but it is well-suited for someone of his outside experience. An unbiased, unvarnished mind working in the Canterlot court. So, human, what say you?”

“…Well, we do have something like that back where I come from,” I said. “We call it the United Nations, where representatives of every country in the world gather to discuss national affairs.”

“Is that so?” asked Ironmane. “And could you see yourself performing such an office?”

“I’ve never tried anything like it before,” I said. “However, I can’t help but find soundness in your judgment, Minister. If you think I’m suited for it, and if the princesses are in agreement, I’ll give it a try.”

There was a slight curl of Ironmane’s lip, as if he weren’t used to actually being paid compliments by his foreign clientele. I was trying to be civil about it, certainly, but mostly because we were under the watch of the two princesses.

“Well, I find it to be an intriguing and excellent suggestion,” said Princess Celestia. “Are we all in favor?”

Ironmane nodded.

“I am willing to see where it goes,” said Luna.

“I think it’s a great idea,” said Twilight, looking at me. “I can almost see you at the Round Table, talking among the smartest minds around the globe.”

“Then it is settled,” said Celestia. “All that remains is to make it official.”

“Before we do that, Your Highness,” I interjected, “I just want to ask, without trying to sound greedy: how much will my stipend amount to?”

“Ah, of course. I’m glad you asked,” said Celestia. “Ironmane?”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” said Ironmane. “As you are on call, human, and not fully employed, your weekly allowance shall not be as hefty as it would be, but we certainly would not have you starved. Your housing finances will still be catered for, so you should still have an adequate sum to pass the week with.”

(And I’ll bet you’ll be the one who decides what to give and what to hold back, I thought, bitterly.)

“In any case,” Ironmane went on, “I shall drop by each week to deliver you your stipendiary dues, and I will say up front that I am a stallion of my word. You shan't see a week go by that you go unpaid.”

“You may rely on his words, David,” said Celestia. “Ironmane has always been a stallion of unimpeachable vigilance.”

Ironmane puffed his chest out proudly.

“Who knows?” the princess added, with a slight chuckle. “This might even give you a chance to get to know each other.”

At this, the both of us looked, in surprise, at Celestia, then at each other. Me, be friends with him? Maybe, when I sprout bat-wings…We both turned our heads away in stubborn disgust of the idea, drawing laughs from the three mares. It looked like the princesses didn’t even notice the meaning of the gesture.

“Now that that is settled,” said Celestia, “let us make it official.”

Her horn flared up, and in a burst of golden light, a piece of beige parchment appeared, written very regally. Beside it had appeared a bottle of ink and a quill. I took the paper up and read,

‘I, the undersigned, do hereby pledge my allegiance and loyalty to Princesses Celestia and Luna of Equestria, and agree to perform the services with which they have entrusted onto me. By signing this, I pledge to perform the duties required as a member of the Canterlot Round Table, to provide impartial and unbiased counsel in order to establish peaceful international relationships. My services are for the good of the two crowns and the subjects of and outside Equestria. In the name of the princesses of the sun and moon, I swear to all of this.

Sincerely,’”

And there was a blank space for my name.

Well, of course I wasn’t going to try to do anything that would make me a public enemy of Equestria. I had no desire to be a felon or a thug. I dipped the pen into the ink and signed the contract in as elegant a cursive as I could muster.

As soon as I had concluded, the parchment vanished, and Princess Celestia said,

“Congratulations, David. It is my warm pleasure to officially welcome you into Equestria!”

I’d done it? That was really all it took? That went way better than I had hoped!

I looked around the table, excitement flooding through me. Luna and Celestia were smiling warmly. Ironmane was still expressionless, but that didn’t matter any to me. Twilight, for her part, threw her hooves around me in a tight hug, one I gladly reciprocated.

“See?” she whispered in my ear. “I told you there was nothing to worry about.”

I nodded to her, then turned to Celestia and Luna.

“Your Majesties,” I said, humbly, as I rose to my feet, “this is much more than I could have ever asked for. I swear that I will not let you down. I will do whatever it takes, whether it be in this foreign relations committee or even something else, to repay you for your kindness and generosity.”

I swept off my hat and gave a low bow to them.

“Thank you, David,” said Celestia. “We shall certainly expect the best you can provide, but don’t worry. You’ll know what to do as you go along. Ironmane?”

“Your Majesty.”

“I would like for you to meet with the treasurer to portion out the sum required for David to purchase a home in Ponyville.”

“Of course, Your Highness. I’ll send a messenger to his suite when we have made those arrangements.”

“Excellent. If that is all, then I hereby adjourn this meeting.”

Everypony else got to their hooves, and the table and cushions vanished.

“Enjoy the remainder of your stay in Canterlot, David,” said Celestia. “It was a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise, Your Highness,” I said, bowing again. “I hope to see you again in the near future.”

“And Twilight?” asked Celestia.

“Yes, Princess?” asked Twilight.

“Do try to keep him out of trouble.”

I was about to express nervous surprise at these words, but the smile on Celestia’s face told me it was just a light jest.

“I’ll do my best, Princess Celestia,” said Twilight, giggling. “Come on, Dave.”

“Goodbye, Your Majesties,” I said, to the two princesses. “And you too, Minister.”

“Mm-hmm,” said Ironmane, curtly.

Twilight and I exited the throne room, the great doors closing behind us, and a great weight removing itself from the pit of my heart.

It was over. I’d done it. I’d won Princess Celestia’s approval, and was now in her service. Having to keep continued contact with Ironmane was just a small price to pay for being able to stay in Ponyville.

“So?” asked Twilight, grinning up at me. “How do you feel?”

“How do I feel?” I asked. I took Twilight by the hooves, helping her up onto her hind ones. “My dear Twilight, I could sing if I only knew the words! I feel wonderful!”

“Great! Let’s go find Rainbow Dash so we can celebrate. You deserve it, you lucky human, you.”

“Lucky? Twilight, today, I consider myself the luckiest human living in Equestria…”

Author's Note:

You guys really got lucky. Three chapters in a row. :pinkiehappy:
I just really wanted to get to this part of the story, because it marks a crucial part of Dave's stay. Enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next