• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,378 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,378

PreviousChapters Next
Surprises Galore

“I don’t know. I just don’t know…”

“Me neither.”

Once again, Moonlight and I were gazing down at the last page of the chapter we decided to pause our reading at, trying to make sense of what we’d learned. We weren’t doing so well.

“Whoever’s under the Ebony Mask,” I said, “they’re incredibly blasé about being at the scene of the crime and what they stole.”

“It’s like they want ponies to know they were the culprit,” mused Moonlight.

“So the obvious question is, who comes across as egotistical enough to be the Ebony Mask?”

“That’s where it gets tricky,” said Moonlight. “Each potential suspect Shadow Spade has come across is either flashy or boastful.”

“Like Baron von Pfau,” I said.

“And Sir Chanticleer,” said Moonlight.

“Both of them absolutely insufferable,” I muttered.

“I think that was the point,” said Moonlight. “Even Shadow Spade can’t stand them, and she freely admits it. They’re just too full of themselves to get the hint.”

“So, then,” I said, “is it one of them? Both at the same time? Someone else we haven’t met?”

“Who knows?” Moonlight murmured. “Even I don’t have any theories.”

I closed the book and set it down, while Moonlight took a long gulp of water. I took a swig from my own glass, as doing voices for the eccentric and flamboyant witnesses Shadow Spade had questioned had been fun, but murder on the vocal cords.

“So, how’s your story coming along?” I asked, setting my glass down.

“Hmm?”

Moonlight looked puzzled for a moment, then her expression lit up as she remembered.

“Oh, that! I’m taking a break from it, actually,” she said, with a rueful smile.

“Oh?”

“Yeah. I was losing too much sleep trying to keep it going when I didn’t know how. I was pretty much running on empty, you know?”

“I getcha,” I said, patting her shoulder. “No point straining yourself when you don’t know how to proceed.”

“Exactly,” she said. “I wondered if I ought to scrap it altogether, but then I decided to just let it sit until I come up with something, because I had a feeling I’d regret getting rid of it.”

“Right,” I said. “Makes you wonder how authors like A.K. Yearling or Horseshoe Hammett deal with writer’s block.”

“By stepping away from their typewriters, I imagine,” said Moonlight. “Authors have their own lives, too, and can’t be expected to always be churning out stories 24/7.”

“If only Rainbow Dash could understand that,” I said.

Moonlight giggled.

“How about you?” she asked. “Had any luck choosing a song for the concert?”

“Not yet,” I said. “It’s not easy narrowing down choices when any of them have potential. I’ve never been that good at ranking things, especially for a top 5 or top 10. And I’ve gotta pick soon, so I can get all the practice I need for it. If I can be honest, I’m starting to worry that I won’t have something picked in time.”

“I know the feeling,” said Moonlight, nodding sympathetically. “Maybe you need to take some time away from the piano. I mean, you don’t even have a definite date for the concert, do you?”

“That’s true,” I said. “Maybe I should. After all, musicians need time away just as much as writers do. I just wanted a good head start, like Octavia suggested.”

“I getcha,” said Moonlight, “but even you need a break, and I’m sure she’d understand too.”

“Yeah. Thanks, Moonlight.”

“Any time, buddy o’mine,” she said, leaning against me with a sweet smile.

Smiling, I gave her a squeeze in return, then the two of us got up.

“I’ll try to swing by on Friday to meet Trixie when she arrives,” she said as I walked her out. “Maybe finish the book as well. It’s gonna be busy next week, though. Mr. and Mrs. Cake are going on vacation with the twins next Monday, so it’ll be Pinkie and me running the place.”

“Oh really?” I asked, intrigued. “Good for them! Any idea where they’re going?”

“The Crystal Empire, I think,” said Moonlight. “I don’t remember if they said where specifically, but it’s what I imagine.”

“And it’ll just be you and Pinkie?” I asked.

“Mm-hmm. We’ll be fine, though. I’ve seen Pinkie work the kitchen and the counter effortlessly. I’m just flattered that the Cakes trust me enough to let me run the place with her.”

“It’s because they think you’re a reliable pony, buddy o’mine,” I said, grinning and ruffling her mane, making her giggle again.

Tuesday, March 12

***

On Wednesday, just as Moonlight suggested, I decided to spend some time away from my piano and rejuvenate my creativity. After lunch, therefore, I headed out. As for where I’d go, I didn’t have a definite plan. However, I knew going into the hustle and bustle of Ponyville wouldn’t give me a lot of time for quiet reflection, so on in the end, I turned my steps outwards, towards Sweet Apple Acres. It was always peaceful and serene there, so it sounded perfect for my present wants.

As I approached the farm, taking in the familiar scent of fresh-grown apples, I heard something that made me pause. It was the faint sound of someone playing a harmonica. It sounded close by, among a dense clump of trees. Apple Bloom must’ve been practicing her piece for the concert.

“Darn it!” I muttered to myself.

“Howdy, sugarcube,” said a familiar voice.

I started and looked around. Applejack was standing beside me, smiling genially, though I couldn’t help but notice that one of her ears was clamped against her head.

“Hi, Applejack,” I said. “Is that Apple Bloom practicing for the amateur concert?” I added, jerking my head in the direction of the music.

“Eeyup,” said Applejack. “She’s been pipin’ away at that harmonica of hers whenever she can. She had to start doin’ it outside so Granny could nap in peace, but now Ah gotta do mah buckin’ where she ain’t playin’. Ah mean, Ah’m glad to help her out when Ah can, but even Ah’ve got mah limits.”

She and I both chuckled.

“Well, I decided to take some time away from the piano,” I said. “I haven’t been able to decide on a song yet, so Moonlight figured it might do me some good to let my brain rest for a bit.”

“Smart thinkin’,” said Applejack.

“So, is it all right if I go with you? Maybe keep you company?”

“Of course!” said Applejack. “Come this way.”

She led the way further into the orchard, until gradually, the sounds of Apple Bloom’s harmonica playing faded away. Finally, there was nothing but the sound of birds chirping, my feet and her hooves crunching on the grass, and the rustle of leaves in the treetops.

“Ahh, that’s more like it,” I said.

“You said it,” said Applejack, grinning.

I sat myself down against a tree that was bereft of applebucking buckets, and watched Applejack cross over to one surrounded by them. She gave it a hardy kick, and apples came cascading down. It never ceased to amaze me how easy she made it look.

“Have you thought about signing up, AJ?” I asked.

“Fer the concert?” she replied. “Shucks, I’m sure it’d be fun playin’ with y’all, but Ah really don’t have the time to spare for practicin’. Feedin’ the pigs and chickens alone takes a good chunk of time.”

“I see,” I said, wondering just how many pigs and chickens she had to feed.

“It’s especially busy around this time too,” she continued, bucking another tree. “It’ll be Zap Apple time soon.”

“I’ve heard,” I said. “Is it the same time every year?”

“More or less. It’s always in the same month, but never the same day. Our first sign will be when the timber wolves start howlin’.”

I felt a shudder go through me at the mention of timber wolves. I hadn’t forgotten what happened in the Everfree Forest...

“Granny says they know when the Zap Apples are comin’,” Applejack continued, “though even she doesn’t know why. There’s all kinds of weird particulars that go with harvestin’ em. Zap Apples are finicky fruit, but they’re magical, so magic is as magic does, Ah spose.”

“So what you’re saying is, they’re magically delicious?” I asked, wryly.

Applejack looked nonplussed.

“Ah guess that’s one way to put it,” she said, shrugging.

Now I just felt foolish. That had gone right over her head.

(Of course they don’t know what Lucky Charms are, Dave. Not everything from your world is here in Equestria.)

“So, how long does it typically take to get Zap Apple Jam ready?” I asked, recovering, as Applejack started on yet another tree.

“‘Bout a week,” she said. “It’s a tricky process, and everythin’s gotta be done exactly, or the jam won’t taste as good. Granny’s spent years harvestin’ them, so she knows all the tricks to bring out all the flavor.”

“I see,” I said. “Sounds like something only the finest chefs would be able to pull off.”

“Darn tootin’,” said Applejack, winking. “She’s started teachin’ Apple Bloom last year, since she’s still too little to help with the big orchard work just yet. She’s gettin’ there, though. She’s a strong little filly for her age. Applebuckin’ muscle runs in the family,” she added, flexing one of her hind legs by example.

“That right?” I asked. “I do recall the Crusaders wanting to be a human for Nightmare Night, but Apple Bloom didn’t want to be on the bottom, even if she was the strongest.”

Applejack chuckled.

“Stubbornness runs in the family, too, Ah guess,” she said, making me laugh in turn.

From there, I simply sat back as Applejack continued bucking, looking up at the leaves of the trees and the clouds in the sky. The atmosphere was a lot more peaceful now, away from Apple Bloom’s playing. Not that it was bad, of course, but that it was nice not to have it as a distraction. I felt like I could’ve fallen asleep then and there, and probably would’ve done, too, if not for a slight worry that Applejack might buck the tree I was under by accident.

After a time, Applejack stopped bucking, wiping the sweat from her brow. I looked around. I’d been so focused on the quiet and calm that I hadn’t even noticed all the full buckets now sitting at the base of each of the trees.

“Sorry, Dave, but Ah’d better head back and get a wagon to pick up these here buckets,” she said. “Ah hope you don’t mind me cuttin’ things short.”

“No, not at all,” I said. “It was nice just to sit here and be with you as long as I did. Thanks for letting me.”

“Anytime, sugarcube,” said Applejack, smiling kindly as I got to my feet. “We’ll let ya know when it’s Zap Apple time. It goes fast, especially after Filthy Rich gets the first shipment, and we don’t want you to miss out.”

“Someone who works at Barnyard Bargains said the same thing,” I said. “I appreciate that, AJ.”

“‘Course, hun,” said Applejack, giving me a friendly squeeze. “Take care now.”

“See you.”

Applejack headed off towards the main part of the farm, and I turned back around towards home, feeling much more at ease about the concert situation. True, I might not yet still know what I was going to play, but the tension I was feeling about it had melted away.

It was only after I’d gotten home, while I was absentmindedly leafing through the songs I’d picked to practice, when I stopped at one in particular, and it hit me.

It was as though a lightning bolt had shot down through the ceiling and struck me in the brain. I suddenly had an idea on what song I wanted to practice for the concert. It felt like it had been staring me in the face among the rest that I’d brought home with me, but I’d never given much thought to until I stopped obsessing about practicing so much. At last, I knew what to do, and what to focus on!

(I owe you one, Moonlight, and you too, Applejack!)

Wednesday, March 13

***

I spent part of Thursday reading more of the Power Ponies anthology Spike had given me, rereading the additional behind-the-scenes facts about the comic as I did. The inspirations for some of the Power Ponies were both fascinating and a little hilarious. Both Saddle Rager and Radiance were based on aspects of the writer’s wife. Like the former, she was apparently a sweetheart who turned scary whenever she got mad (though hopefully not to the extent Rager did), and she also kept her jewelry so well-polished that the shine that came off of them was practically solid, ala Radiance’s constructs. Filly-Second was similarly based on a friend of the writer’s who talked a mile a minute and could never sit still; clearly, he’d never met Pinkie at her most hyper, as I had. It always intrigued me whenever art imitated life.

I also decided to try and make an Ogres and Oubliettes character, using the example sheet in the other book Spike had given me. That way, I’d be ready whenever the time came to actually play. The only problem was, there were a lot of classes to choose from. Did I want to be a swordsman? A mage? An archer? A rogue? There were too many choices, like the problem I’d just had with picking a song.

Hang on a moment.

Songs…

Of course!

I could be a bard!

In a twinkling, I began jotting down notes for my new character, referring to the book to see what to add based on class and other aspects I chose. Soon, I was drawing up a veritable backstory for my new character. It was actually rather exciting, and I began to lose myself as I went deeper and deeper.

“Forte, a wandering bard from the harmonious village of Lyrishire. Since a young age, he was deemed a prodigy, even by the village’s standards, and crafted his first lute when he was 8. His music has an enchanting power, soothing the senses of the most stressed individual and taming even the most ferocious of wildlife. Forte is kind, compassionate, and noble, always eager to help where he can. He also has an easygoing, bantering sense of humor. However, he can also be rather wishy washy at times, and despite being well-armed, dislikes confrontation.”

Yes, that sounded like a good start. When I brought him to Spike and he outlined the world we would be playing in, I could easily fill in the gaps for the rest of his backstory.

I was just finishing up, when I heard somepony knocking at the door. Setting my notes aside, I got up and opened the door. Scootaloo was hovering level with my face, grinning broadly.

“Hi, Dave!”

“Hey, Scoot. What’s up?”

“Don’t forget me!” squeaked a familiar voice.

Looking down, I saw Dinky standing below, beaming adorably up at me.

“Hello, Dinky,” I said. “What brings you both by? Any new sign-ups?”

“Not yet,” said Scootaloo. “There’s still one day left, though. Maybe somepony’ll sign up at the last minute, just to be cool.”

“Wouldn’t surprise me,” I said.

“What we came by for,” said Dinky, “is to show you this!”

She stepped aside, and Scootaloo flew aside, revealing something that the latter had been obstructing my view of from her position. At first, I thought it was a skateboard, but then I saw the tall pair of handlebars at the front. I could now see that it was a scooter, but much more complex than Scootaloo’s wooden one. This one was a lot bigger, and the chassis was made of a shiny blue metal. There were also curved wheel guards above the tires. I was so focused on it that I barely registered the sight of Doc off in the distance, waving at the girls from beside some kind of blue box.

“Wow!” I said, impressed.

“Do you like it?” Dinky asked.

“It looks really good,” I said. “Did you get an upgrade, Scoot? This one looks a little big for you.”

“Pfft, no way,” scoffed Scootaloo. “I told ya: not even being able to fly is making me give up my trusty scooter.”

“So what’s the story with this one?” I asked.

“It’s for you!” said Dinky, proudly.

I blinked.

Had I heard right?

“For me?” I asked.

“Yeah!” said Dinky. “I told you I wanted to find you your own scooter so you could keep up with Scoot, and the somepony I mentioned made this!”

“It’s got a magic-powered engine,” said Scootaloo, “in case you don’t wanna propel yourself with your feet, and the tires are made to work on both dirt and grass!”

“What do you think?” Dinky asked, eagerly.

What did I think?

What could I think?

Dinky had gotten this for me?

How much had it cost?

“You wanna try it out?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yeah, come on!” said Dinky, tugging at my pant leg.

Numbly, I allowed myself to be directed towards it. All I could do was stare at it, but with more urging from the two fillies, I stepped on and gripped the handlebars. They were just the right height.

“That pedal there starts the engine,” said Scootaloo, pointing to one by my left foot. “Then, once you get started, you can adjust the speed by twisting the handlebars.”

I pressed down on the pedal, and the engine chugged to life, starting forward quite suddenly. I only just managed to hold on as it propelled me onwards. Rather haphazardly, I managed to turn it with the handlebars, pulling an awkward about-face. I twisted them, like Scootaloo said, and the scooter slowed down to an easier pace. From there, it was much easier to control, and, I had to admit, quite enjoyable. It went very smoothly over the grass, and the steering seemed perfectly balanced. I scootered around the front yard a few times, with Scootaloo and Dinky watching excitedly, until at last, I pulled it to a stop and dismounted.

“So? So?” Dinky asked, actually bouncing up and down in her excitement beside Scootaloo.

“It’s great!” I said. “It handles really well, even on the grass. I’m highly impressed!”

Dinky let out a squeal of joy and, with startling agility, tackled Scootaloo in a glomp.

“He likes it! He likes it!” she cried, hugging her surprised sister. “I knew he would!”

“Dinky!” gasped Scootaloo, whose cheeks had gone red. “Can’t...breathe!”

Dinky released Scootaloo, who massaged her ribs gingerly, but looked faintly amused. I crossed over to them.

“Dinky,” I said, kneeling down in front of the two, “Scootaloo, I hardly know what to say. Honestly, I don’t feel like I deserve something this amazing,” I added, gesturing to the scooter.

“Don’t be silly!” said Dinky. “Of course you do!”

“Dinky really thought you did,” said Scootaloo, grinning. “She wanted you to have your own way of getting around when you didn’t want to use your feet.”

“It’s my way of saying how much you mean to us,” said Dinky, sweetly. “Cuz you’re the best human friend we’ve ever had!”

Whereupon she threw her tiny hooves as far around my middle as she could and hugged me.

“The only human friend we’ve ever had,” said Scootaloo, shrugging, “but still.”

I wiped at my eyes. I couldn’t help myself. The sweetness and innocence of Dinky’s gesture went straight to my heart, bringing tears to my eyes. I drew an arm around her to complete the hug, and even reached over to ruffle Scootaloo’s mane, making her chuckle.

“Thanks, girls,” I said. “I really appreciate this.”

“You’re welcome,” said Dinky.

“No problem,” said Scootaloo.

Dinky released me, then turned to Scootaloo.

“We’d better go see him,” she said. “He’ll want to know if Dave likes it. He’ll be so happy to hear he does!”

Scootaloo nodded, then turned to me.

“We’ll catch ya later, Dave,” she said. “Enjoy your new ride!”

And with that, the two fillies hurried off towards Ponyville. I stood up and watched them until they were out of sight, smiling all the while. After taking time to give my glasses a wipe, I grabbed the handlebars of my new scooter and rolled it over to the house, bringing it in after wiping the wheels off with a towel. It didn’t feel safe leaving it outside, even if I was so far outside of the town.

“If there are cutie marks for talents in awesomeness,” I said to myself, “those fillies’ flanks wouldn’t be blank anymore. Bless them.”

Thursday, March 14

***

“...Well. Of all things, I didn’t see that coming.”

“Neither did I.”

Once more, though not before I had shown Moonlight my new scooter (and let her take a test ride on it), she and I had reached the end of a book. Once more, we were astounded by what we had just finished reading. We looked from the pages to each other, surprise mirrored in each other’s faces.

“The Ebony Mask was Souris the whole time?” I asked. “Baron von Pfau’s hoofpony?”

“I’d almost forgotten he existed,” said Moonlight.

“So did I!” I said. “He appeared so sporadically, and hardly ever said a word!”

“And all because he was trying to frame the Baron for neglecting and underpaying him,” said Moonlight.

“Well, the Baron wasn’t exactly a paragon,” I said, “but even so, that’s messed up.”

Moonlight nodded.

“Well, there’s a twist and a half for ya,” I said, “and we can’t even say the butler did it, because Souris technically wasn’t one.”

Moonlight giggled.

“It was a good twist, though,” she said. “It makes me wonder how good the next Shadow Spade novel will be.”

“Me too,” I said, grinning.

At that moment, I heard something outside.

It was the rattle of wheels.

Excited, I hurried over to the window, and saw, with a leap of joy, a familiar wagon trundling along, its wheels glowing. It seemed the pony at the helm was steering it from the inside, but there was no doubt who it was.

“She’s here!” I said. “Trixie’s here!”

“She is?” Moonlight asked, eagerly. “Oh gosh! I’d better rush home and make sure I look nice. I don’t want to meet a famous magician looking like a mess.”

“Moonlight, don’t be silly. You look-”

But Moonlight had already hurried out the door and back to her house.

“-fine,” I finished.

Oh well. If she wanted to make a good impression, that was her business.

I stepped outside myself, just as the wagon rolled to a halt, not too far from my house. The door flew open, and out bounded Trixie, bereft of her hat and cape, but looking hale and hearty. My heart swelled to see her in such good spirits. She gave her mane a toss as she looked out toward Ponyville.

“Hello, Ponyville!” she crowed. “Did you miss Trixie? Because Trixie missed you!”

“I can name someone who definitely missed you!” I called, laughing.

Trixie turned, saw me, and her face lit up anew.

“My dear Dave!” she said, striding towards me. “How good to see you!”

I hurried forward to meet her, whereupon she, with a delighted laugh, practically pounced into my arms. It was surprising, and I actually fell over into my rear, as even an average-sized pony was rather heavy. Even so, I couldn’t help laughing myself as I returned her hug. It was perhaps the warmest embrace I'd ever received from her, and she seemed in the most cheery mood I’d ever seen her in, nestling up against me in my arms and warmly nuzzling my cheek.

“It’s really good to see you too, Trixie,” I said, as she pulled away to look me in the eye. “I’m glad you’re looking so well, and doing well, from what I’ve heard.”

“Thank you, Dave,” said Trixie. “It’s been a grand revival tour, traveling Equestria again, and seeing that the name of Trixie is no longer ‘mud’. I’d only just finished the last stop, when I knew I had to come back to Ponyville and see the man who helped spark it in the first place.”

Before I could mumble my modest appreciation for her words, and to my utter astonishment, she kissed me on the cheek. It was only a quick peck, but I still felt the spot go hot. Trixie didn’t look the least abashed, and seemed amused by my befuddlement.

“Consider that Trixie’s seal of approval,” she said, winking. “I sometimes mark autographs for especial fans with a kiss. It’s as good as a signature.”

“I’m...flattered,” I said, still befuddled, as I got to my feet. “Er, anyways, Trixie, there’s somepony I’d like you to meet. She’s a dear friend of mine, but it seems she wasn’t able to see you the last time you were here.”

“Oh, really?” Trixie asked, intrigued. “Well, any friend of yours is bound to be a friend of mine.”

“I’m really glad to hear that,” I said, smiling. “She’s a real sweetheart. Ah! Here she is now!”

Moonlight’s door opened, and out she came. Once again, she had restyled her mane, this time into a single ponytail, similar to Applejack’s but less voluminous. She was beaming as she flew up to the two of us.

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” she said.

“No trouble,” I said. “Trixie, this is Moonlight, my dear friend and neighbor. Moonlight, this is the Great and Powerful Trixie, a wonderful magician and a good friend.”

I stepped back to give them space, expecting an exchange of polite pleasantries.

What followed, however, completely astounded me.

Trixie had been smiling graciously as Moonlight came forward, and had opened her mouth to speak, but then stopped. Moonlight, too, had let the smile fade from her face, at the same time as Trixie’s. Both stared at each other, eyes narrowed, not in dislike, but in a more thoughtful way. It almost seemed as if each saw something in the other that inspired some deep thinking.

“Is something wrong?” I asked, warily.

“Have...we met before?” Moonlight asked.

She was rubbing her head, as though she had a headache. I was at a complete loss as to the cause of this behavior.

It was nothing on Trixie, though. Her eyes suddenly widened, her mouth fell open, and the color drained from her face. She looked as though she had just seen a ghost. I was getting more and more bewildered by the second.

“T-Trixie?” I stammered.

And then, Trixie screamed.

Friday, March 15

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everybody! :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next