• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 30,386 Views, 3,552 Comments

Living in Equestria - Blazewing



A young man finds himself in a world beyond his wildest imagination...

  • ...
123
 3,552
 30,386

PreviousChapters Next
A Busy Week in Canterlot

I was awakened the next morning by a knock at my door. For a second, I thought I was back home, with Bon Bon pounding on the door to take me for another jog. However, when I went to answer, I saw that it was a unicorn guard.

“Councilstallion Dave?” he asked.

“Yes, that’s me,” I said, slightly puzzled.

“Princess Celestia asked me to deliver this to you,” said the guard, holding out a scroll of sealed parchment. “It only just arrived.”

‘Er, thanks,” I said, accepting it, while the guard bowed and left.

Now definitely confused, I took the scroll with me back to bed, sat down, and unrolled it. As soon as I read the first line, I felt a leap in my chest. It was Twilight’s writing!

Dear Dave,
Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. We’re so sorry we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye before we left. We hope you aren’t too angry with us for not sticking around long enough, but time was of the essence. There’s too much going on to express in a simple letter, but we’ll say this: don’t worry about us. We’ll be okay. If all goes according to plan, the Empire should be protected against King Sombra, and we’ll be able to leave it in Cadence and Shining Armor’s hooves.
Hope you’re doing all right, and hope to see you soon.
Your friends,
Twilight, Pinkie, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Spike

Below that, in Pinkie’s writing, was a postscript.
PS: Wait until you see the Empire, Davie! It’s sparklerific!
-Pinkie

A warm, wonderful wave of relief and gratitude swept over me. My message had gotten to them. They’d responded. It was exactly what I’d been hoping for all this time.

My heart feeling lighter than it had done in days, I got up again to get dressed.

***

Besides finally knowing the truth, my evening with Celestia had done even more good. I couldn’t just continually dwell on thinking gloomy thoughts about the girls and Spike up in the Crystal Empire, especially after receiving a reply from them. I had to believe that they were going to come out all right, and I had to do my part for when that day came. I had to get my speech ready for Ponyville, welcoming them to the return of the Empire. And remembering what Cornelius had said, I had to think about what my friends would want to hear me say, not worry about creating a Pulitzer Prize-winning dissertation. Besides that, it made me too busy to focus too hard on the truths Celestia had told me that night.

Per Ironmane’s suggestion on the paper, I spent most of my time in the library, browsing around for any scrap of information related to the Crystal Empire. Such information was, sadly, scarce, despite the library attendants offering me as much help as they could.

“The Crystal Empire?” one of them asked, when I put the request to them. “I can’t remember hearing that name before you and the council started visiting this week. That’ll be in the History section, among our older volumes.”

“You mean the old hardcovers?” I asked. “I like a good paperback, but there’s something satisfying about opening up an older book that’s stood the test of time.”

“Oh, I quite agree,” said the assistant, grinning. “This way, then.”

Somehow, I had the feeling that, if the Empire had been preserved for 1,000 years, its own collection of books would remain intact. I had a similar feeling that, if that were the case, Ironmane would set me another assignment in writing about the Empire’s history from those sources. I wouldn’t put it past him, and it made sense.

I did, thankfully, find some detailed tidbits within certain books of the History section. Though even what they had to say was limited, it did give me a better understanding of the Empire’s past, before it disappeared. The inhabitants, known as Crystal Ponies because of their shimmering, glossy coats, were safeguarded by the energy of an artifact known as the Crystal Heart (wow, Paper Mario much?), which was powered by strong, positive emotions, and whose magic could protect the entire Empire from danger. It seemed Sombra had found a way to bypass this when he took over all those years ago. Would that mean Twilight and the others would have to use this Crystal Heart to stop him again this time? I also found about a dozen recipes for crystal berry pie. Something to remember to tell the Cakes when I returned.

On a whim, I even browsed books on Star Swirl the Bearded, but without success on anything related to the Empire. Still, seeing his writing was fascinating. He had traveled far and wide, seen phenomenon other ponies only ever dreamed of, encountered strange and magical creatures, and crafted an enormous number of spells. They ranged from the simple, such as teleportation, self-levitation, and shield-generation, to the complex, like invisibility, spontaneous age-alteration, and temporary weather manipulation. It was easy to see why Twilight was such a fangirl over him. Seeing these spells filled my head with the sorts that J.K. Rowling had made up for Harry Potter, and for a few minutes, I amused myself in imagining that I could perform such spells, flourishing my hand as if casting them.

Expelliarmus! Accio! Lumos! Expecto Patronum!”

“Shhhh!”

Oh boy. The familiar library shushing. Thinking that I’d better not wear out my welcome, I packed up and left, feeling pretty foolish.

***

When I wanted a break from writing, I took to wandering around Canterlot, though not in the aimless way I had done before my talk with Princess Celestia, nor the more hurried and frantic way I’d done when trying to find a Hearth’s Warming present for Moonlight. It allowed me to better take in and appreciate just how nice the city looked during the winter. It was also worth it to go to one of the local coffee shops and buy a cup of hot cocoa (with marshmallows for one bit extra), sipping it while walking.

Very rarely, I was able to catch glimpses of my fellow council members. As I passed by the windows of Canterlot’s gymnasium once, on my fourth day in the city, I saw Rock Solid among several muscular or active ponies, lifting weights and hardly breaking a sweat. I considered going inside myself, but I wasn’t a fan of most exercise techniques, so I gave it a pass. I hope Bon Bon never hears about this.

Outside a cafe on the fifth day, I came across Rolling Stone, a piece of paper held in his hoof. I figured he was working on his speech, and thought it best not to disturb him, but I heard him speaking as I passed by. He was actually regaling a small group of speakers with what sounded like poetry of his own composition, reading loud and clear in his deep, rumbling voice.

Oh, jewels of Appleloosa
The apples of our eye
That, when they fall to earth, become
Delicious apple pie

I had no idea Rolling Stone had a gift for poetry. Then again, I didn’t know that much about Equestrian buffalo, in general. As I walked on, I thought I could see Princess Celestia standing at the balcony of one of her towers. Seeing her like that, and all the ponies milling about below her on their way to lunch, made me think, almost unconsciously,

(“Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people.”)

Huh. Where did that come from?

What gave me the biggest shock, however, was catching sight of Minister Ironmane outside a coffee shop on the sixth day. He was sitting at a table, a cup of coffee beside him, and seated across from him was a mare who just might be his wife.

She was a slender, upright unicorn, her coat a sandy-tan color with a sleek silver-blonde mane and tail, her mane done up in an elegant knob at the base of her neck. Her cutie mark resembled a music sheet on a music stand, so perhaps she was a music teacher. She had a kind, motherly sort of face, slightly lined, but still pleasant to look at. The way the two were talking, and how they smiled at each other from time to time, seemed to confirm to me that they were husband and wife, and happily married at that.

It had been enough of a shock to hear Ironmane casually say he was married, but to actually see her was another thing entirely. Also, I had only ever seen Ironmane smile like this once before, when he was thanking me for the ticket I’d given him for Hearth’s Warming. They seemed to be engrossed in their own affairs, so I moved on. It did make me wonder, though, what Mrs. Ironmane must think of me, after what the minister had probably been saying about his human ‘charge’.

***

On the seventh evening of my stay in Canterlot, I was ambling about again, after having spent another hour or two inside, making minor corrections to my speech, when I came to a sudden halt. A very familiar voice was being carried my way along the frozen air. But...it couldn’t be.

“...has faced many dangerous beasts and creatures in her travels! Yes, Canterlot: I dare say even the great Charles Darwhinny never faced as many zoological wonders as the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

I had to be dreaming! There, standing in the middle of a crowd of Canterlot citizens, was Trixie’s caravan, newly-painted! And there, on the stage that folded out from it, was Trixie herself! She was wearing what looked like her usual cloak and hat, but they looked thicker, with a furry lining along the collar and brim. It made my heart swell to see her looking happy and healthy, though I couldn’t believe she was here in Canterlot.

“But nothing, nothing shall ever compare with what lay in store for Trixie upon her return to Ponyville!” Trixie went on, in a dramatic tone. “The Great and Powerful Trixie had stopped to rest and gather supplies for the road ahead, when what should she come across but a two-legged, hairless ape!”

Several crowd members gasped, and I felt a slight check in my joy. ‘Two-legged hairless ape’?

“Surely a creature set upon this planet for Trixie to test her might against!” Trixie went on, clearly enjoying herself. “For Trixie has faced the likes of the Ursa Major, the dreaded chimera, and the wily sphinx, but this must assuredly be the epitome of her quest to be great and powerful! We fought several times, Trixie naturally besting him at each turn, though he was a worthy adversary. At last, though it was grueling, he grew to a point where he could understand Trixie at last, and Trixie is quite thankful for that.”

I couldn’t believe this! After everything we’d been through during her stay in Ponyville, she was making me into a punchline in her act! The nerve of her! I had half a mind to march over and set the crowd straight on a few things, but then Trixie continued,

“You see, he saved the Great and Powerful Trixie’s life.”

The crowd murmured excitedly, and I felt my anger start to fade.

“Yes, yes, I know,” Trixie said. “You must be thinking ‘surely somepony as great and powerful as Trixie has faced certain doom countless times. What makes this different?’ Well, Trixie was unexpectedly stricken with a horrible ailment: a disease that would have laid even the greatest and most powerful pony low! While I was suffering under its symptoms, this creature, humbled and tamed by Trixie, rushed her to the hospital to be cured. Trixie owes her life to him, and it is because of him that Trixie graces your presence once again. So, if you see him, be sure to say ‘Thank you for the Great and Powerful Trixie’.”

She bowed, and the crowd applauded. My initial anger had evaporated, leaving me with a mixture of gratitude and amusement. She hadn’t taken me for granted, after all. She was just spicing up our time together in Ponyville for her crowd. If she’d wanted to turn our arguments into battles, that was her business. However, I was keen on not being picked out by this crowd and ‘thanked for Trixie’, so I hung back until they had dispersed, before seeking an audience with Trixie herself.

At last, when Trixie’s wagon was free of onlookers, I went around back to its door and knocked.

“So sorry, but Trixie is indisposed at the moment. There will be another performance in an hour. If you want an autograph, you’ll have to wait until then.”

“And what if it’s for a talk between her and a ‘two-legged, hairless ape’?” I asked, with a grin.

There was a pause, and the door opened. Trixie peered out, looking astonished. She’d discarded her hat and cloak.

“Dave?”

“Hiya, Trixie,” I said.

Before I knew what was happening, Trixie had grabbed me by the arm and whisked me inside her caravan, shutting the door behind her. It was mercifully warm in here.

“What are you doing here?” Trixie asked, sounding both incredulous and delighted.

“What, no ‘hello’?” I asked, sardonically. “No ‘how’ve you been’? No ‘good to see you’? Man, Trixie, it’s not just the weather that’s cold.”

Trixie rolled her eyes, her expression softening as she smiled.

“You know I didn’t mean it like that,” she said, teasingly. “Come here, you.”

She threw her forelegs around me in a warm hug, one I was more than happy to reciprocate. It may have been my imagination, but her tail wagged a bit as we embraced, like a happy dog’s.

“I’ve missed you, Trixie,” I said, once we pulled away from each other.

“Of course you have,” said Trixie, in her usual cheeky way, before adding, “but I’ve missed you too, Dave. I’ve remembered you most among those I’ve left behind me in my travels, for everything you’ve done.”

“You’ve certainly remembered me enough to use me with such flattering terms in your show,” I said, wryly.

“Oh, you heard that?” Trixie asked, not sounding the least bit abashed. “I merely thought it might add a little spice to my act if I retold our meetings, with a few tweaks here and there.”

“So instead of an innocent, unoffending human, you turn me into a tamed beast?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, now, nopony will connect you with the story,” said Trixie, airily. “You’re much too civil and intelligent to be mistaken for a servile man-ape.”

“I’m flattered,” I said, dryly.

“As Trixie knew you would be,” said Trixie, smiling.

“But it’s good to see that being on the road again is doing you some good,” I said. “You look like you’ve put on a bit of weight. N-Not that I’m calling you fat!” I added, hurriedly, as she raised an eyebrow. “I mean, I’m not in a position to call anyone fat, with all the holiday pudge I’ve accumulated. It’s just, I remember how skinny you were when you were hiding out in Ponyville, and now...Well, now you look a lot healthier.”

Trixie’s features relaxed, and she gave her mane a toss.

“Thank you,” she said. “When I returned to the life of a great and powerful pony, it was necessary to get my great and powerful figure back.”

She stepped back, keeping remarkable balance on her hind legs, and held her forelegs aloft, as if to say ‘look at me, notice me, stare at me’. She did indeed have an eye-catching figure for a pony, with her slender belly and curvy hips, almost like Rarity. Then again, I was only judging by how humans normally interpreted body proportions, though they didn’t seem far off by Equestrian pony standards.

“And you’ve certainly got that,” I said, making Trixie smile even broader.

“Flatterer,” she said. “You don’t have it too bad yourself, but you do look a bit bigger since the last time I saw you.”

Just like Moonlight, she prodded my stomach with her hoof. This time, though, I doubted a retaliatory tickle would be much appreciated.

“Are you staying in Canterlot long?” she asked.

“Dunno,” I said. “I’m waiting on an important message, and I’ve been here a week already. How about you?”

“Alas,” said Trixie, dramatically, “tonight is my last night here in Canterlot, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to stay long after my final show, as I intend to depart at once. Hoofington awaits, and I mustn’t leave them hanging.”

“Ah, I see,” I said. “Do you still plan on coming back to Ponyville when spring comes?”

“I do,” said Trixie. “They must be sorely craving my great and powerful presence after being deprived of it for a couple of months.”

“Oh, no doubt,” I said. “Well, I’m definitely gonna check out your show tonight.”

“Wonderful!” said Trixie. “You shan’t be disappointed when you see the new tricks the Great and Powerful Trixie has in store. I do regret spending so little time with you, Dave, but I really need to start getting ready. It was so good to see you again.”

“Same to you, Trixie.”

Trixie reared up again, this time to give me a gentle little nuzzle. It was amazing how quickly she could switch from being bold and brash to being reserved and kind. Then she walked me to the door, tipped me a wink, and shut it behind her.

“Same ol’ Trixie,” I muttered, in a satisfied sort of way. “Some things never change.”

***

It wasn’t too bad of a wait for Trixie’s next show. As I sat on a bench overlooking the caravan, waiting for the promised time to come, I saw ponies beginning to congregate from all across the city, eager to see the performance. Some paused to look at me as they went, and I had a feeling some of them had stuck around to hear Trixie’s story of meeting me. Thankfully, it didn’t look like any of them had bothered to read between the lines of her little dramatic retelling, and they left me in peace.

At last, a loud blast of trumpet fanfare sounded from somewhere inside Trixie’s caravan. I stood up to join the rest of the crowd milling about, hoping I wasn’t blocking some child’s view, like the giant I was.

“Good evening, Canterlot!” came Trixie’s voice, sounding magically magnified, as her stage began to unfold. “Welcome, one and all, to the most spectacular magical performance you shall ever witness! I am your host, the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

With a burst of purple smoke, Trixie appeared on stage, decked out in her cape and hat. The crowd ‘ooh’ed and ‘ahh’ed.

“This shall be my final performance in this splendid city, for now,” said Trixie, “but just for you, I shall not hold back any of my greatness or powerfulness! Now, witness, Canterlot, the magic of the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Fireworks burst all around her caravan, eliciting cheers and gasps from the crowd.

“Some sight, eh, kid?”

I turned around. Sure Shot was standing beside me, wearing a thick scarf in addition to his trenchcoat and fedora.

“Hi, Sure Shot,” I said. “Have you seen Trixie’s show before?”

“‘Couple weeks ago, yeah,” said Sure Shot. “She was in Manehattan, wowin’ everypony with her hocus-pocus. I’ll admit, I was impressed the first time I saw it, especially after hearin’ all that stuff about her bein’ a fraud.”

We watched as Trixie conjured up a line of fruit, ranging from a tiny cherry to a huge watermelon, then set them into a synchronized tap dance.

“Hey, Sure Shot? Mind if I ask you something?”

“Shoot, kid,” he said, then chuckled. “Never get tired of that one. But go ahead.”

(Ohh, I get it. Real classy, Sure Shot.)

“What can you tell me about Manehattan? I know it must be a stupid question to ask if it’s worth visiting, but I don’t know that much about it. All I can say is it sounds like the name of a city I’ve visited back home, called Manhattan.”

“Huh,” said Sure Shot, sounding mildly surprised. “Pretty punny for a human city, if ya ask me. Well, I might be soundin’ biased, kid, but if Canterlot’s the crown of Equestria, Manehattan’s its main jewel. You’ll never be bored in the big city, cuz it’s got everythin’ you could ever want: great dinin’, great shoppin’, lots of sightseein’ . I’ve lived there all my life, and even I haven’t done half of what you can do in Manehattan. There’s the Yancolt Stadium, where they’ve hosted some of the best ballgames this side of Equestria, and I’m not much of a musicals guy, but there’s the Bridleway theater, where they host a ton of great shows.”

(‘Bridleway’? Oh, good Lord, and he thinks Manhattan is punny…)

“But the main thing about Manehattan, kid,” said Sure Shot, more seriously, “is that it’s a real ‘flip of the coin’ kinda city. One second, a pony’s givin’ ya the shirt off their back, the next they’re pushin’ ya out of the way to get to the nearest taxi. It can get rough up there, so you gotta be able to look out for yourself. I’ve learned that the hard way myself. What goes around, comes around, is what I’m tryin’ to say. You show them a little kindness, and ya never know when they give it back. Get me?”

“Yeah,” I said. “I’ll definitely have to find a day to head up there.”

“You won’t be sorry,” said Sure Shot, grinning. “With luck, I might even be able to show ya around.”

“I’d like that,” I said, grinning back. “Thanks, Sure Shot.”

Meanwhile, Trixie was pulling out several new tricks. Beside the fruit trick, along with a few of the others I saw when she performed in Ponyville, she played a round of badminton with herself, teleporting from one side of the stage to the other, and making some spectacular saves before the shuttlecock went out of bounds. She made a big show about it, too, holding the racket in first her teeth, then her horn, then her hooves, and even her tail. She made it look easy, yawning with apparent boredom, then reading a book, then admiring herself in a mirror. It was both impressive and hilarious.

When she was finished with this, she took out an average-sized top hat, set it down, and, to everyone’s amazement, including mine, started climbing into it, hind legs first. Despite the hat not showing any major stretching or stuffing, she actually started sinking into it, needing only a bit of effort to squeeze her hindquarters inside. Within seconds, only her head was poking out, still topped with her own hat. She winked to the crowd, then ducked inside, like a turtle pulling in its head, both hats sitting end to end, her pointed one atop of the top. The seconds passed, and nothing happened. The crowd murmured. What was this leading to?

Then, Trixie’s hat lifted up off of the top hat, which fell onto its side, empty. The hat twitched, and then, as if shooting down a water slide, Trixie came popping out of it, landing neatly on her hind legs. She gave a ‘ta-da!’ flourish as the hat landed back on her head, and the crowd cheered wildly, myself included.

“That was unbelievable!” I told Sure Shot.

“Never saw that one before!” he said.

“Thank you, thank you!” said Trixie. “Now that is what Trixie likes to call a ‘hat trick’! I’d like to conclude tonight’s performance with a round of Trixie’s speciality Whizbang Wonder fireworks! Eyes to the sky, Canterlot!”

We all looked up. With shrill whistles and bangs, the evening sky was soon full of explosions of colors and smoke, twisting themselves into a variety of shapes. All I could think as I gazed up at them was,

(Gandalf, eat your heart out.)

But then, something unexpected happened.

At least twelve rockets were shot up by way of a final firework, converging on each other at a single point. They exploded together, forming themselves into a silhouette of Trixie, with her hat and cloak (very fitting), and in that instant, it happened.

As if someone had flicked them on with a light switch, great, billowing ribbons of rainbow-colored light suddenly appeared, dancing across the sky behind Trixie’s firework. The whole crowd gasped. Sure Shot and I exchanged looks of stupefaction. Had Trixie done that? That was doubtful, since, for a second, she looked as gobsmacked as the rest of us, but quickly rearranged her features into a glowing, triumphant smile, as if to save face by implying that was supposed to happen.

“Only for you, Canterlot!” she cried. “Only for you!”

“What are those?” I asked.

“No idea,” breathed Sure Shot.

The closest thing I could think of, even though I’d never seen them personally, was the Northern Lights. Was this something like that? What could be causing it?

“Dave! Sure Shot!”

The two of us looked up. Eagle Eye was hovering above the still-amazed crowd, many ponies in which had begun to applaud thinking it was part of Trixie’s act. She was gesturing wildly for us to follow her.

“Ironmane wants us all back at the castle! Come on!”

As best we could, the two of us extricated ourselves from the crowd and followed Eagle Eye, rushing back towards the castle. She led us straight inside and into the throne room. Princesses Celestia and Luna were both there, as were the rest of the council. It was the first time I’d seen Brutus with the princesses, and though he still dwarfed them by a considerable amount, it somehow felt less when it came to them.

“Here they are, Minister, Your Highnesses,” said Eagle Eye, bowing in midair.

“What’s going on?” I asked. “Is it those lights in the sky?”

I looked over at Ironmane, and was surprised to see that he was wearing a satisfied, complacent expression, his features softened considerably. It was an expression shared by both princesses, who looked as though a heavy load had been lifted from their shoulders. After a lengthy pause, Ironmane said,

“They’ve done it. The Empire is saved.”

Author's Note:

This chapter is both to celebrate the start of Season 5, and to hopefully make up for my little April Fools joke. :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next