• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 1,561 Views, 32 Comments

An Engineered Friendship - Engiminer



A human arrives in Ponyville at the beginning of the first episode, escaping from zombies on Earth.

  • ...
12
 32
 1,561

Chapter 8

"A PARTY!!!" Back in Ponyville, a town-wide party had commenced. I simply stood on the sidelines, content to watch the festivities from afar. Berry Punch stumbled away from the crowd holding a half empty bottle of fermented apple cider. When she stumbled past me she smelled very strong. She stopped and turned back.

"Heeyy... It's Engi, right?" She slurred.

"Y-Yeah..." I watched her struggle to keep her balance.

"How-d you like ta-"

I cut her off. "I think you ought to go home and sleep that off. That's what I'd like YOU to do."

She shrugged. "Suit yerself." She took another swig of cider and stumbled off. Yeesh, I thought. If Equestria had cars, we would all be friggin' SCREWED.

Pinkie bounded up to me, shaking her plot to Vinyl's beats. "Hey, Engi! Why aren't you partying?"

"Sorry, Pinks. I just get claustrophobic around crowds. In large crowds, they always end up looking like zombies to me."

"How about a dance out here?"

I chuckled. "You sure? I've got four left hooves. Forget your tail; I'd probably end up stepping on your mane!"

She grabbed my hooves and giggled hysterically. "Nonsense!"

"That, and any dances I could think of would probably get me laughed at or attract confusion."

She let go of my hooves and thought for a moment, tapping one hoof against her chin, which made a humorous clopping sound. "Then, you could always go home." She said apologetically.

This time, my laugh was one of sarcasm and scorn. "I didn't think you would miss the blaze going on as you entered Everfree Forest."

Pinkie fell to the ground laughing her plot off. "None of us missed it! And I didn't think YOU would miss that fully-built new house as we were leaving the Forest! Come to think of it, I think Fluttershy is at your place, putting some finishing touches on the landscaping."

"...Wh-What?" I asked softly. I was stunned. I peered over the crowd and saw the gleaming new house. "I... I never... I never expec..." My voice caught in my throat. I felt my eyes burn as they moistened with tears of joy. I gave Pinkie a great big hug - much to her delight - and teleported to the location.

I gazed up at my new home. It was beautiful. "Engiminer?" I heard a voice whisper. A slight jolt went through my body as I heard the voice. I glanced over at Fluttershy and felt another tug of affection. Why does she have to be so cute?! She wore a wide-brimmed summer hat, held a flower basket over her neck, and held a trowel in one hoof. The basket was almost empty and Fluttershy was covered in dirt. She noticed the jump I made when she whispered my name. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"How did you ponies DO this so quickly? And on such short notice! It's exactly how I wanted it!"

Fluttershy giggled. "Scootaloo found a blueprint near the blaze and recognized it as your unfinished house. She used her scooter to go find Rainbow Dash and show her. Dash in turn informed Mayor Mare, who in turn asked for volunteers to help build your house. By the time we left for Everfree Forest, half of Ponyville was sawing, hammering, and drilling away. It's not done, mind you. There still needs to be plumbing and wiring installed."

"That explains how it was all done so quickly," I breathed. "but the landscaping was definitely not part of the blueprint. Is it all your work?"

"What, in so little time? No, the florist and landscapers did most of it, but I laid the plan out for them before I left. I am just adding a few finishing touches and correcting a couple mistakes."

"It's beautiful." I gushed. And beautiful it was. There was a miniature waterfall. Oak tree saplings lined the cobblestone walkway. But the garden. Oh, man, the garden. The garden was a botanist's wet dream. "It feels so... so... peaceful."

That's when Fluttershy dropped the cute nuke.

She squee'd.

I finally succumbed. I scooped her up into the biggest hug I could muster and didn't let go until two minutes later, with Fluttershy returning the entire hug. I was home at last.