• Published 30th Sep 2016
  • 7,543 Views, 64 Comments

Sunset Shimmer knows Kung Fu - ArtieStroke



Technically the Northern Shaolin variety

  • ...
3
 64
 7,543

BONUS: STINGS LIKE A RARITY!

"You can absolutely give up, you know?" Rarity said, foil in one hand and mask in the other. Sunset groaned on the ground, her sides definitely bruised from Rarity's jabbing.

"You know, that might not be a bad idea."

Rainbow Dash booed from the sidelines of the fencing stage, "Come on, Sunset! Aren't you supposed to be some kinda psychic genius now?"

Rarity simply grinned, offering a hand to help Sunset up, "While our darling Sunset here may be a quick study, I think you'll find that natural proclivity does not win out over years of practice and study."

"Because of course you'd be the one to know how to fence," Sunset smirked. Rarity simply brushed a bang out of her face.

"Well, a lady must have her ways of staying in shape."

"I'm just glad to know our little Shimmy-Sham here's not perfect," AJ said, with a small smile, "She's good, but I'll be darned if I'm gonna be outstripped at my own schtick just because of weird cave rock magic."

"See, now I'm just gonna take that as a challenge," Sunset said, grinning as the two of them walked over to the stands, water bottles waiting. Twilight took a towel and wiped some of the sweat from Sunset's brow as she gulped down the refreshing liquid.

"Honestly, though," Sunset said, with a small gasp after guzzling down her water, "I'm just fine learning what my limits here are. If there's another magical incident-"

"-When." Twilight said. Sunset rolled her eyes.

"-When there's another magical incident, I don't want to go in there thinking I can handle more than I can."

"And an excellent point to have in mind," Rarity agreed. Rainbow Dash frowned, blowing some hair out of her face.

"Man, I just wanted to see Sunny kick your butt..."

A glint flashed in Rarity's eye, as she eyed Rainbow up.

"Well, how about you put your money where your mouth is, hmm Rainbow Dash?" She said, standing up and tossing Sunset's foil. Dash nearly fumbled it as Rarity strode confidently to the fencing stage. Dash grinned.

"Yeah? Well, bring it on princess!" She said, grabbing Sunset's mask and rushing over.

"Hoo, nelly."

"You can say that again," Sunset replied.

Author's Note:

For some reason I got inspired to tack on a little extra teensy scene on here- hope you guys enjoy it.

Comments ( 12 )

Oh don't tease us like this...

More! We must have MORE!!

I totally missed this story when it was first released. Thanks for expanding upon it, if only so that I could see a neat little story and give it its due.

EPEE IS BETTER!!!

8206377
Personally I'm more of a saber or rapier+parrying dagger girl

The story is good, but way too short.

There is never a day that I don't curse people's chronically short attention spans necessitating short ficlets rather than actual stories. I could have sunk my teeth into ten thousand words or so of this.
Like turning Dash's original monologue into a conversation with a couple juicy asides.
"What makes you think we don't have electricity? What do you think the Ponyville Hydroelectric Dam is there for, or what keeps Las Pegasus running?"

8207164
Twinsowrds for me but with a catch on my character there Denon based swords connected to my OCS ice and fire demon so they have a ability called shifting blades which with the fire sword it changes type from a gladius to a curved arm blade to schimitar and a scythe to get some range with it while the ice blade changes size and thickness from a small hidden dagger to a zuiheilder with a thickness like the swords are known for to a rapier nimble and so thin that if it's pointed right at you it's near invisible but strong enough to parry a blade or pierce heavy armour

Fluttershy probably knows self defense.

10425181
Whereas Sunset lacks any telekinetic powers in this story. Since Jean's defining trait is her incredible telekinetic power, the lack thereof makes Sunset a poor match for comparison.

When replying to a comment, that itself is a reply to someone else's, making note of the full context going back to the beginning of the comment thread is sort of important....

I'm fairly sure that if Sunset is some kind of Shaolin master capable of reading the world around her she'd be able to defeat someone whose only martial art mastery is over the fencing sword. Shaolin are not just practitioners of kungfu, they are masters of many hand-to-hand weapons. Sunset either isn't as good as we have been led to believe or she let Rarity win.

Login or register to comment