• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 6,847 Views, 400 Comments

Carrot Top Season - GrassAndClouds2



Carrot Top has to bet her farm to enter a competition against the Apple Trust. Can she win

  • ...
12
 400
 6,847

Carrot Top and Applejack

“I’ll need to work out if I have any money left over,” said Carrot Top. “But if I do, the first thing I’m doing is taking you two out somewhere nice.”

Berry Punch grinned. “You don’t need to do that.”

“You just helped save my farm. I’m taking you out nice,” said Carrot Top. “Objections will be overruled.”

“No objections here,” said Trixie. “By the way, I prefer Neigh Orleans cuisine. And the finest champagne.”

“Excuse me!”

Carrot Top looked over to see Resplendent Orange. “Uh oh.”

“Congratulations on your placement. Your food was spectacular.” Orange seemed sincere. “I know you’re probably eager to get home, but I was wondering if I could buy you a drink?”

Carrot Top hesitated. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Please? I would love to talk to you some more. It’s been years since anypony from a small Farm has done that well in this contest,” said Orange. “I simply must know more about you.”

Trixie stepped between them. “She said no. If you want to say something, say it now.”

“Well, alright. Carrot Top, your farming ability is clearly exceptional. You’ve demonstrated an incredible ability to produce crops and make business deals – I noticed how many ingredients you had. Betting your farm on the competition was a brilliant masterstroke.” Orange smiled. “How would you like to join the Trust?”

What?!

Orange grinned. “You’re exactly the kind of farmer we want. If I recommend you, I can have you approved in a week. And that approval comes with access to the Trust funds, a start-up bonus, disaster insurance, equipment… a piece of our time-share resort in Las Pegasus… and assistance for your friends and business partners too, of course. If you have a particular restaurant, say, that you favor and sell a lot of carrots to, we could certainly kick a little support their way.”

Trixie and Berry Punch seemed frozen in shock. Carrot Top recovered first, pushing through the sudden visions of having money, security, and everything else the Trust could offer. “What would that mean for me, though? I mean, what would my responsibilities be?”

“You might be required to help other Trust farms – if they needed a carrot expert, for instance. You would also be required to pay a certain amount monthly into the Trust coffers. Besides that, you’d have almost total freedom. You could run your business as you saw fit, as long as it was profitable enough.”

Carrot Top thought she knew where Orange was going. “So I wouldn’t have to… say, run it as aggressively as Applejack. If I could find some way to do it without taking down the other farms, you’d be okay with that.”

“We’d be thrilled. The independent farms are where we find most of our new talent. If you could run a farm as profitable as Applejack’s, but without being so aggressive, we would be more than pleased.”

Carrot Top thought for a moment. “You know… Applejack’s a really smart businesspony. And I don’t think she’d be running her farm so aggressively if she could meet her profit margins without hurting the other farms. But she can’t find any way to do it besides driving us out. If she can’t, I probably can’t either, so to meet your margins, I think I’d need to be as brutal as Applejack is.”

Orange shrugged. “Be that as it may, the Trust could help you. Set aside the money for the moment -- Duke Greengrass seemed quite interested in you. I don’t know all the details, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s got some political designs on you for some reason. The Trust has politicians too. We can keep him away.” He nodded. “I’m sure you can see how much the Trust can help you.”

“I can.” Carrot Top gestured back at Applejack, who was being supported by Big Macintosh as they dragged themselves out of the park. “But I can see her. And I can see the farm I had to wager just to stay open when pressured by your Ponyville branch. I can see what the Trust costs.”

Orange sighed. “Alright, then. I won’t push you. I still do wish you luck, though, and perhaps in the future you’ll change your mind. The offer's open for as long as you need.”

He walked away. Trixie ran over to Carrot Top. “Carrot Top, are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.” Carrot Top smiled at her friends. “None of the Trust teams had any friends of supporters come with – didn’t you notice? I don’t think Applejack’s the only Trust farmer who’s completely isolated on her farm. I’d rather have my friends than a pile of bits and nopony to care about me.”

Smiling happily, the three friends walked back to the train.



“Can ah talk ta ya?”

Carrot Top looked up from the bed. She had been trying to nap on the way back to Ponyville. But the competition was over now, and she’d lose nothing by talking to the apple farmer. “Sure.”

Applejack didn’t just look tired now, she looked weary and beaten. Like she just wanted to collapse, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet. “So, uh. Good job.”

“Thanks.”

Applejack sank against the wall of the compartment. “First time another Ponyville farm beat ma. But ah guess ah shouldn’t be surprised. Apparently everypony in town hates ma. Even ah couldn’t beat that.”

“That’s not true,” began Carrot Top.

“Really? Apples ain’t sellin’ well anymore. Ain’t nopony even gives ma the time of day. They barely even sell ta ma.” She sighed. “Ah ain’t greedy, Carrot Top. Ah don’t know if yar gonna believe ma, but ah ain’t greedy.”

“I didn’t—“

“Ah don’t spend any money on maself. Ah don’t have any nice things, don’t eat fancy, don’t ever go ta the spa or buy tickets ta shows or anythin’. This hat’s five years old an’ it’s all fallin ta bits, but ah ain’t bought a new one. Ah ain’t taken a vacation in forever; ain’t even paid farmhands ta take over ma shift in years. Every jangle ah get goes inta the farm, the Trust, or the rainy day fund. But… but all them other ponies just say ah’m greedy an’ ah’m bleedin’ the other farms dry.”

“We’re all hanging on by threads,” said Carrot Top.

“Ah know! What, ya think ah like that? But ah can’t worry ‘bout that, ‘cause the Trust’s gotta be strong enough ta handle whatever Equestria throws at it! We can’t fail! The Trust cannot fail! An’ if that means we gotta be aggressive an’ buy up the good land, then that’s what it means!”

Carrot Top didn’t know what to say. Eventually, she managed, “Why do you have to be the one to save everypony? Don’t you get that it’s not right, that you think it’s all on you?”

“But it is! That’s how ah was raised. Ma parents, they told ma ‘bout how we were entrusted ta make sure there ain’t no famine anymore. They told ma it was up ta ma. Ah mean, Big Mac was the other heir ta our particular farm an’ the Trust, but… well, ya know him. He’s too nice. They caught him givin’ way apples too often, to his friends or a couple of the poorer foals. So they taught ma that ah’ve gotta be the one to ensure that everypony gets fed. In Ponyville, maybe even Canterlot, someday, if ah take over the Trust, then all Equestria.” She looked up at the ceiling. “Ah ain’t neva had many friends. Bein’ a farmer, well, ya know how long the days are, an’ fer ma, where every minute had ta be buildin’ up the Trust, ah had even less time than most. All ah had was ma family. But ah’m okay with that. Somepony’s gotta do it, an’ ah’m strong enough to handle that burden. All ah wanted was… just some recognition of all ah sacrificed, ya know? Ah worked real hard ta make apples so plentiful an’ cheap in Ponyville. An’ the first time ah get mad at somepony, they all say they hate ma.”

“But why does it have to be you?” asked Carrot Top. She felt bad for Applejack, despite all the things the apple farmer had done and said. “Forget some century-old edict. Just let the other farmers handle some of--”

“But they can’t! Ah mean, ya’r different. Ah see that now. Ya worked real hard this past week, an… an ah can see that ya’d keep goin’, come Tartarus or Corona. But look at Boxxy Brown an’ Lily. Boxxy’s always getting’ drunk an’ startin’ fights. Lily’s sellin’ more flowers fer decoration than eatin’, an’ half her land’s messed up cause she always overwaters. If the last farmer standin’ was one of them, we’d all starve.”

“Why does there have to be one left?!” Carrot Top shook her head. “This is what I don’t understand! There doesn’t have to be just one farmer for Ponyville! Why can’t we all work together? And if one farmer gets hit with a blight or whatever, we all chip in and save them! That’s a lot safer than hoping that one really great farmer will always save the day!”

“If it was just farmers like ma an’ ya, maybe that’d work,” said Applejack. “But in a group, the weak always drag down the strong. If we joined with Lily, we’d be given her time, an’ money, an’ supplies that we might need but wouldn’t have. Probably couldn’t save her fer long, an’ we’d only be weakenin’ ourselves.” She shook her head. “No. There’s too much at stake.” Her voice was growing fainter. “Ah have a duty ta make sure that nopony starves in Ponyvile. Ah’m gonna do whatever it takes ta fulfill that duty. Ah don’t… it don’t matter if they hate ma. Ah can take it. Someday, they’ll need ma’.”

Carrot Top began to get up.

“Wait. What ah want ta know is… ya believe ma, right? Ya’r smart an’ ya’ve seen ma work. Ya know ah ain’t just some greedy money-grubbin’ jerk, right?”

“I believe you,” said Carrot Top, quietly. “I think you’re wrong, and if you keep trying to drive out the other farmers, I’ll fight you. But I believe you.”

“Thanks.” Applejack sighed. Her eyes were sliding shut. “Even ma own sister, she thinks ah don’t love her now. Thinks ah didn’t want ta look fer her when she went off with those rascals. But ah did, and ah do. Ah love her so much ah…”

Carrot Top hesitated.

“Sometimes ah don’t want her ta go inta the business. Ah don’t want her ta have ta bear this burden. Ah want her ta be able ta have friends an’ all, an’ grow up normal. But it ain’t up ta ma, ah guess. The Apple family’s got duties, an’…”

“I’ll get her,” said Carrot Top, getting up. “I’ll talk to her.”

“No, wait, ya don’t gotta do that!” But Carrot Top was already out the door.



Carrot Top found Apple Bloom at the end of the train.

“Hey, Apple Bloom? Your sister wants to see you.”

“Hmph. She didn’t care when ah went missin’ durin’ the competition.”

“She wanted to go look for you, but Big Mac and I decided I should go instead. She was really tired, and we were afraid she’d get hurt.”

“She still could have looked a little,” said Apple Bloom. “An’ she’s been real mean fer a while, an’…”

“Your sister loves you very much.” Carrot Top sat so that she was more level with the foal. “Have you ever had a responsibility so big that you felt like you couldn’t do anything you liked until it was done?”

“Ah guess… sometimes, if the chores back up or they’re real urgent. Like with the zap apples. Once they show up, if we don’t pick ‘em day an’ night, they all vanish.”

“Your sister feels like that all the time. She’s… she’s confused about some things. But she always feels like, if she stops working, horrible things will happen. So she’s under a lot of stress. If she gets mad at you or acts like she did this week, it’s not because she doesn’t love you. She just feels like the world’s collapsing, and even she can’t hold it in all the time.”

“But why does she feel like that? Ah don’t want her ta feel like that!”

“She just feels that her farming is that important…”

“But yar a farmer, an’ ah know yar happy all the time! Yar always laughin’ an’ smilin’ with yar friends, even that jerk Trixie.”

Carrot Top chuckled. “Trixie is… hard to get to know, but she’s got a good heart under it all.”

“Carrot Top? Can ya teach ma sister ta be a happy farmer?” Apple Bloom looked very sad. “Ah don’t like it when she’s like this. When she’s up all night in the fields an’ mutterin’ stuff an’ sayin’ how the whole town’ll be sorry some day fer doubtin’ us. Can ya help her?”

“I’ll do my best.” Carrot Top nodded. “But right now, I think she wants to see you.”

“Well… maybe ah don’t want ta see her. She didn’t look fer ma today. She didn’t care where ah was if it meant missin’ the competition. Ah don’t wanna talk ta her now.”

“That’s not true, but even if it was… didn’t you tell me that everypony has bad days now and then?”

Apple Bloom hesitated. “Yeah, ah guess ah did.” And she smiled slightly.

“She’s had a very bad day, and she really needs her little sister right now. C’mon. I bet she’ll be thrilled to see you.”



The two entered Carrot Top’s compartment.

“Apple Bloom?” Applejack’s smile was genuine, and it occurred to Carrot Top that she’d never until then actually seen the mare smiling over anything that wasn’t business. “Apple Bloom, ah love ya. Ya’r the best sister in the world.”

Apple Bloom hugged her. “Ah love ya too, sis.”

Carrot Top smiled.



A huge crowd was waiting for them when they got to Ponyville.

Applejack, looking marginally better after having slept the rest of the way home, spoke first. “Sweet Apple Acres got fifth place. We’ll donate the quarter of the prize money as soon as we get it. Oughta help spruce up town square, install the extra lampposts y’all were wantin’.”

There were a few perfunctory cheers… but not many.

Carrot Top coughed. “I took third place, and—“

A huge roar swept through the crowd.

Carrot Top blushed scarlet. “And we’ll be buying the irrigation system for all the participating farms. I wanted to thank everypony who helped make this possible. In particular, Green Grape and the other small farmers, for fronting me all the ingredients.”

Green Grape, near the front, smiled. “It was a sound business decision. We know how talented you are.”

“Helpful Hooves, Plougshares, and the others who assisted me with farm chores for this past week.” The farmhands cheered. “The other Elements and the other tasters, and, of course, Berry Punch, who trained me. I’d probably have burned my house down if she hadn’t helped me figure out what I was doing.”

Berry Punch laughed. She seemed… a little tipsy, having apparently utilized the train’s bar on the ride back, but she wasn’t totally soused. Good. Carrot Top was thinking that a party might be fun for later. “We’re your biggest fans, Carrot-Top!” she yelled.

Carrot Top smiled. Yes, they were her friends. They’d come through for her. She’d never feel like she should be less generous again, and the Trust offer wasn’t even tempting. Sure, she might have more money, but she’d end up like Applejack, and…

That reminded her. She saw the Apples starting to leave the station, and quickly called, “Hang on, there’s one more thing. Could I have everypony’s attention?”

Applejack looked at her, clearly confused.

“The last week has been extremely stressful. I’m sure I’ve probably said some things I shouldn’t have. If either of us have offended you, please, forgive us.” She inclined her head. “We’re all Ponyville citizens. We shouldn’t be boycotting or threatening each other. Let’s work together to make this town as stable and prosperous as it can be.”

The crowd was silent, but Carrot Top could feel an energy building within them. They were expectant and hopeful. If Applejack accepted this peace offering, the boycott and the anger could end. Maybe Applejack could even find peace and happiness.

“Applejack. I think that we – and all the other farms – should work together. Let’s make Ponyville the produce capital of Equestria. We can do it if we stop fighting each other and help each other.” She stuck out her hoof. “All the farms, working together. Can’t do it without you.”

Come on, you can feel it, Applejack. They want to forgive you. We’re all good at heart, we don’t like to hate, even the ones you offended the most – me and Berry Punch – we want you to work with us, stop acting like it’s us versus you. Take this peace offer.

Applejack stared at the hoof.

“C’mon sis,” whispered Apple Bloom. “Please.”

But Applejack shook her head. “Ah can’t. Ya know why,” she murmured. Then, louder, “Sorry. But ah can’t. There’s too much at stake.” She paused. “Ah’ll get y’all the money soon as ah can.”

She almost ran out of the station.

“That ungrateful…” began somepony from the audience.

“I forgive her,” said Carrot Top, as quickly as she could. “And I know I can’t speak for all of you, but I ask you to forgive her too.”

She could tell it wasn’t having much of an affect. But… she did see a few ponies thinking it over. And if she could persuade ponies a few at a time that Applejack wasn’t evil, there might still be hope for her.

And then they were carrying her home on their shoulders, and it was still her home and always would be, and she lost herself in a joyful party. But before the euphoria of glee completely overtook her, she had one more serious thought.

I’m glad I’m not like Applejack. I’m glad I’m me.