• Published 28th Sep 2016
  • 5,137 Views, 62 Comments

A Mother Remembered - Foals Errand



It was apparent that they weren't in Equestria anymore.

  • ...
19
 62
 5,137

One

Twilight Sparkle nodded her head in response to the solar guard who had just bowed before her. Light Shield is his name. I’m certain he has been here since I was just a filly... to see him bow to me now instead of that stern smile... I fear I will never get used to it.

She shivered. Never in her heart of hearts had she once believed that she would ascend to become a princess. If you had asked her where she would be as a mare, her answer would always have been the same. Twilight had fully believed that the Princess was and always had been training her to take Raven’s place as her personal assistant, and as a filly no idea had filled her with greater joy than the chance to be beside her most beloved Princess day-in and day-out, but that dream had changed. Being sent to Ponyville, making the five best friends a pony could ever ask for, reuniting Celestia with her lost but beloved little sister Luna. Though only just less than a mare, Twilight’s hopes for the future had slowly begun to change. First, the idea of being Celestia’s prized and personal student for the foreseeable future made Twilight happy studying the magic of friendship. It filled her with an excitement and purpose she hadn’t felt since before gaining her first degree.

She had begun to notice though that things were not as they had once been. It wasn’t long after Luna declared Twilight to be her truest friend that Twilight began to notice Celestia was treating her differently. The average pony wouldn’t have been able to notice, but for Twilight, who had spent the majority of her life beside her, the differences were striking. Always before Twilight had seen her Princess stern but loving. She had a soft spot for her ‘faithful’ Twilight, though, Twilight was certain... or at least, she had been certain that the soft spot was one of a temporary standing, but instead of dissipating, the soft spot seemed to grow when they were together.

Twilight noticed she received more attention than her other friends. Celestia’s eyes always seemed to gaze towards Twilight even if she was speaking to or with somepony else. It puzzled Twilight, but she shook it off along with all the trials she went through, but eventually she began to feel suspicious of Princess Celestia. She’d never speak her suspicions aloud, though, so upon finding herself in the Celestial Walkway, Twilight had felt to be truthful betrayed. Throughout her life Twilight had often seen examples of the Princess’s many games. In fact, as she understood it, the fortunes of Applejack’s very family was the result of a very carefully planned move on Celestia’s part, in a high stakes game which she had been playing since Luna’s banishment.

Twilight shook her head as she continued her trek through the palace, subconsciously nodding to the guards and servants as they bowed to her. Twilight sighed. Just part of your new life, Twilight. Just roll with it... The idea that Celestia had been using her in one of her games was understood; that wasn’t really a surprise to her. After all, she was a pawn in Celestia’s match to get her sister back from the Nightmare, but the idea... the truth that Twilight was a pawn in her very own game? That truth had caused Twilight to feel betrayed, but then something happened. Twilight wasn’t certain why, but her cares had evaporated along with her betrayal the moment the beautiful creature called Celestia had begun to sing to her. Twilight had been struck not only by her voice but from the love radiating from Celestia, all of it being directed towards Twilight.


It was at that moment Twilight had realized she was dead; the Elements had killed her once she had finished her spell. It had been odd, though. Should she had been unable to feel anything but pure bliss being where she was? Along with Celestia, then the feeling in her chest... the next thing she knew she was back in Equestria in front of her friends, though no longer was she a unicorn; she was now an alicorn. It had been several months since that night--just a few nights after she had returned from the human world for the second time--that she couldn’t take not knowing anymore.

She had waited in line with the other ponies for her chance to speak to Celestia. Upon her chance to enter Celestia’s court she had requested a private audience. Celestia had consented without a moment’s hesitation, closing the day court and forwarding the rest of the cases to Luna. Twilight had followed Celestia up the stairs until they were in her personal chambers sitting next to one another, where Celestia had poured them both a cup of tea. Unable to take another moment, Twilight opened her mouth.

“Why did you make me an alicorn?”

Celestia had sipped her tea before smiling at Twilight. Twilight could already sense she was going to get the same answer she had told everypony else and Twilight was certain that was not a truthful answer.

For the love of harmony, Twilight had wanted a truthful answer.

“And don’t tell me it was because ‘it had always been my destiny.’ I want the truth, Celestia. The full truth.”

Celestia had swallowed the tea in her mouth and set the cup down. For a moment she had stared into the cup, as if believing all the answers she needed were within.

“I couldn’t lose you.”

Twilight had turned to look at Celestia. At that moment, she truly looked at her. Her head had been bowed and her shoulders trembling.

“That spell was never supposed to do that to you, Twilight. Something interfered. Maybe it was never meant to be used with the Elements... The reasonings don’t matter, but when I felt your soul leave this plain, I knew I had to act.”

Twilight’s wings had bristled but she gave a curt nod. “You saved me because I was still necessary to you, didn’t you? Whatever games you had going at the time, I had been a piece that was needed for you to triumph! I’m sick of this, Princess. I’m sick of being nothing more than a pawn to you! You may consider this my resignation as your student.”

Twilight had risen to her hooves, ready to leave the room and Celestia--possibly forever--when she had heard it.

Soft... so soft.

Twilight’s ears had plastered themselves to her skull at the sound of it...

Celestia was crying.

Twilight had seen Celestia cry a total of two times in her life. The first had been upon the reconciliation of herself and Luna, and the second Twilight had seen only in memories, but it had been when she had been forced to banish Nightmare Moon for one thousand years. But now here she was staring at the table, her chest heaving as tears fell freely from her eyes as she whispered the same phrase on repeat, seemingly unable to stop.

“I couldn’t lose you... I couldn’t lose you... I couldn’t lose you...”

Twilight had momentarily swallowed her anger and her betrayal. There had been more going on than Twilight being a pawn. She had found her hooves moving without her instructing them to, making her walk back to where Celestia sat. Slowly Twilight had allowed herself to sit beside her.

“Why? It’s obvious to me that the reason you made me an alicorn is more than ‘it was my destiny.’ It’s more than my being an integral part of any of your games, even, isn’t it?”

Celestia had dipped her head down a miniscule amount before returning it to its position. She had looked purely miserable; her ears were splayed back, and her mane had been dull and limp. Never had Twilight seen her in such a state. Frankly, it had broken her heart.

“Then why? Why did you save my life? Why did you make me immortal?”

Celestia had looked into Twilight’s eyes, and at that moment Twilight had seen it: the reasoning for Celestia saving her, not only that once from the sleep of death, but saving her from ever experiencing it.

Twilight had let out a small gasp as Celestia had pressed her lips against Twilight’s, tears still falling down her cheeks and her whole body trembling. In that soft kiss everything made sense to Twilight. No words were needed, and as she pressed back against Celestia’s kiss Twilight reassured Celestia that her feelings were returned. The kiss had been gentle, a desperate final attempt by Celestia to keep Twilight with her, and it had succeeded.

Twilight had begun to lick the tears stains from under Celestia’s eyes. For a brief moment, she had marveled at the salty taste, just like anypony else, though that was not important. What had been important--and what always would be--was comforting her love. Slowly, the tip of Twilight’s tongue had affectionately washed away any sign that Celestia had been crying.


Twilight smiled, remembering that night. Six months... It has been six months since we declared our love for one another. Twilight had reached her destination and she pushed the door open, grinning to see Celestia at her writing desk in concentration as the quill held within her magic danced across the parchment she was writing upon. Twilight closed the door as quietly as she could and readied Celestia’s tea set. A few moments later she nudged her with a pulse of magic and giggled as Celestia looked up, a small pair of reading glasses resting on her muzzle.

Twilight was one of the only ponies to know this, but “Perfect Princess Celestia” was a tad farsighted. Twilight softly kissed her muzzle before taking her lips in a deep kiss. She nibbled Celestia’s bottom lip, which elicited a moan from her and opening her mouth to allow Twilight’s tongue to enter. Sometimes when they kissed, the two alicorns battled; other times, one took over almost completely. This time, though, their tongues danced with one another. However, too soon though for either of their liking, the lack of oxygen caused them to part, a small line of spittle momentarily connecting them to one another.

Twilight licked her lips while looking Celestia up and down; she was without her regalia and only wearing her glasses.

“New glasses?” Twilight curled next to her lover who rolled her eyes.

“Yes, according to my optometrist my vision is getting worse. Oh well, nothing else to do about it.”

Twilight laughed as Celestia’s wing wrapped around her. “Come now, Tia. What’s so wrong about wearing glasses? The way I read, it won’t be long till I need them as well.”

The very idea of Twilight wearing glasses caused Celestia to shiver. “I wouldn’t mind that at all, my dear.” She leaned down and gave Twilight’s ear a small nip. “Not at all.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “You know what I think, Tia?”

“What’s that, Twily?”

“I think you have a fetish for librarians!”

Celestia grinned while laying on her belly, levitating a spare pair of glasses onto Twilight’s muzzle. “Oh no, what will I do now? I have been found out! The scandal of it all!” She giggled as Twilight stuck her tongue out before laying down on her own back and wiggling side-to-side, her wings outstretched. Celestia snorted as she watched her tiny love get comfortable and scratch her back at the same time. She twisted her body until she was laying on her side, staring down at Twilight.

“So, Twily, you’ve figured out my... What did you call it? My ‘fetish for librarians’? Then it is my turn to figure out what your... ahem... ‘fetish’ is.” She maneuvered herself to be just above Twilight. She shivered.

“Who said I have a fetish, Tia?” Twilight wiggled a bit, hoping to distract her mare. This attempt failed as Celestia stuck her tongue out and slowly licked her horn from the base to the tip.

“Everypony has a fetish, my dear Twily. You should talk to Luna about some of the dreams she has glimpsed.”

Twilight shivered at not only the sensation of Celestia’s tongue on her horn, but also at the lewd portraits her imagination was pulling to the front of her mind. There weren’t many times when she felt pity for her dear friend, but at that time, she could feel nothing but.

“Alright, maybe I do have a fetish, but you’re going to have to guess it!” Twilight swallowed back the moan that threatened to escape her as Celestia gave her horn another lick. Tia, you are driving me insane!

“Hmmm... I have to guess, do I? What do I get if I guess correctly?” Celestia moved from Twilight’s horn and nibbled her ear, which caused it to flick.

“Um... I, uh... I’ll stay with you tonight?” Twilight offered weakly.

Celestia suckled the tip of Twilight’s ear. “I thought you already planned to, Twily?”

Buck, she’s right. Now, let’s see...

“I’ll give you a nice long massage, Tia. With my species transformation spell I can turn into a human. And trust me; with fingers I’ll be able to get rid of aches you never even realized you had.”

Celestia allowed herself to shiver, she wanted that massage! Alright, Celestia, you’ve known Twilight since she was a little filly. You can figure this out... She cocked her head, eyes closed in thought as Twilight rubbed her muzzle with a hoof.

It didn’t take long for Celestia to open her eyes and grin at the small mare under her. “Large mares.”

Twilight’s tiny meep was all the conformation Celestia needed. Mentally she pumped her hoof in the air. The prize of feeling Twilight’s human fingers on her skin would be hers!

Twilight smiled. “Fair is fair, Tia. Just slide off and I’ll…” Twilight shivered and stopped speaking. “What was that?”

Celestia had already stood up and was at the window, her eyes narrowed towards the Everfree Forest. “I don’t know, but I felt it too. It’s coming from the Everfree Forest.” She turned to Twilight with a small frown, disappointed that their fun was interrupted. “Can I get a rain check on that massage?”

Twilight nodded as they both walked out onto Celestia’s balcony. She frowned as she looked over at the Everfree, then breathed in. “There... did you see it, Tia?”

Celestia nodded. There was no doubt there was a strange silvery blue pulse which seemed to be originating from the middle of the forest. She glanced towards where some of her unicorn guards were patrolling, but to her puzzlement they did not seem to be noticing the magical aura which seemed to be pulsing on the same frequency as her heart.

“I see it, but it appears that we are the only ones able to. It almost feels as if we are being drawn to it.”

Twilight nodded, chewing her bottom lip. “Discord, you think?”

Celestia shook her head. “If it was Discord he would be using far more chaotic methods to get our attention. No... this is something else, though it doesn’t seem to be harming anything that light is in sync with, like my own heart.” She looked down to see Twilight staring up at her with large eyes. “What is it, Twilight?”

“You aren’t alone... I-I think whatever this is, Tia, it’s calling for us specifically.”

Celestia considered this for a moment, then opened her large white wings to their full length. “Well then, it wouldn’t be polite to keep whatever it is calling us waiting, would it, Twilight?”

Twilight hesitated a moment before looking up to see Celestia smiling down at her. With a firm nod, she also spread her wings and experimentally flapped them once. She still was not the best flyer, though no longer left large holes when she landed. “You’re right, it wouldn’t be polite at all.”

Celestia leaped into the air without another word, her wings catching her before gravity could possibly take effect. With a few hard flaps she angled herself downward and towards the Everfree Forest. Behind her, she could hear the much more frantic flapping of Twilight’s wings. Truly, Twilight, we need to schedule some time so that I will be able to teach you to fly properly.

“Are you able to keep up with me, Twily? Should I slow down?”

Celestia worried, as for a few moments all she heard was hard flapping. “No! No, I’m fine... Really, Tia, flying like this is a good workout, don’t you think? Just what the doctor ordered after I pigged out at the Hay Burger two days ago!”

Celestia was forced to bite her lip to keep back the snort of laughter which threatened to escape. Normally, alone with her Twilight she would not feel the need to bother, but as they were flying--and rather quickly--well, she did not a repeat of the last time. Previously, Luna had caused her to burst out laughing while they had been in flight, which had been painful! She pulled her wings back, allowing her body to gracefully dive until her belly was skimming the trees of the Everfree. Her eyes glanced this way and that as she searched for that peculiar light pulse.

“Twilight, do you see it?”

“Yes! It’s right over there!” Twilight pointed a hoof just as the silvery blue light condensed into a constant beam which penetrated through the dense canopy. Both ponies glanced at each other then dived as one towards what was the origin of this light.

After a few seconds of almost total darkness they pulled out of the dive and allowed their hooves to touch down. First Celestia, then Twilight. Twilight blinked in the bright light as she realized exactly where it was that they had landed.

“It’s… it’s the Tree of Harmony. I don’t understand, why is it glowing like that, Tia?”

Twilight looked up to see a sight she never thought she would witness. Celestia was staring at the tree with her mouth slightly open and eyes wide. A small whimper escaped Twilight as she shivered.

The tree began to shake and pulse at a faster and faster rate, creating an almost strobe-like effect until Celestia and Twilight were forced to look away from the light as it increased in intensity until it simply stopped.