• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 6,799 Views, 706 Comments

Magical Girl Sunny - Jetto



She's strong! She's magical! She's beautiful! She's... Sunset Shimmer? Or isn't she? The answer is not as simple as one might think.

  • ...
21
 706
 6,799

04. Card Captor Sunny

Somewhere in the suburbs of Canterlot City, there was a typical street of family houses; a place usually calm and quiet with no worries or crime aside from occasional shoplifters and jaywalkers. Not so right now, the street turned into a a scene of a crime in progress. Numerous police cars gathered around one house, with armed policemen waiting behind a cover, planning their next move, as a crowd of onlookers grew behind the police barriers, with a few news outlets observing the situation that has evolved. What was known, was that inside the house was a single culprit, armed with a handgun, booby trapping most of the entrances and taking a hostage. The eight year old Blossom Flower was alone in her own house for only a few minutes, while her parents went out to complete a few errands, but a few minutes was all it took. Right now, they were screaming their daughters name, crying, hoping and praying for a miracle that could save their little girl.

Ask and you shall receive!

Observing them was a lone girl in the crowd. She was dressed in long, tight black pants with a loose, leather belt, a tight, cocoa sweater with long sleeves and a black cincher on top of it. She had a number of accessories, such as a black bracelet on her right hand, black fingerless gloves, a number of black necklaces on her neck, with a black beret hiding most of her long, fiery hair, with eyes covered by a pair of black sunglasses. She thought about putting a leather jacket over it, but Coco thought it would be an overkill.

Sunset Shimmer, the newest (only?) hero of this city, looked at the crime scene from a safe distance, hidden in the crowds of curious bystanders. She contemplated entering from the front, doing as much noise as possible and counting that the criminals common sense would save them all the trouble. Yeah, like that will ever work... The man inside was already desperate and unhinged enough that there was no telling what he could do to his little hostage. She distanced herself from the crowds into the less populated part of the suburb, making sure to get one last glance at her reflection in cars window to admire her new style. Gotta give it to Coco, she knows how to dress in style! I wouldn't mind wearing this on a daily basis.

At the same time, a black motorbike stopped near the crime scene. Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle took a look at the situation, then nodded at each other. When they noticed a plea for help on MyStable, they figured it was the best place to look. They also agreed to not interfere with the scene and let police and maybe the 'hero' to take care of the danger, seeing as their Rainboom powers and Daydream Shimmer weren't reliable in moments like these. Sunset Shimmer looked at the small device in her hand. The way it shined brighter every second confirmed that there was a lot of unusual magical energy very close by.

***

Once Sunset Shimmer found herself in the backyard of a nearby house, she took of her shades and looked around carefully, just to be extra sure to make sure there was nobody around, outside or inside and the fence was high enough that she wasn't in danger of being seen from the streets. Also, no surveillance cameras and nobody was following her.

She nodded to herself, smiling. Good, now I can transform in peace!

Wishing for a cool transformation theme song (her powers didn't include music making), Sunset raised her right hand up, left hand in front of her, then screamed (in a hushed tone).

"Sunny - Power Up!"

Then the magic happened, literally, as parts of her clothing started disappearing, instantly getting switched by its replacer. First disappeared her sweater and cincher with all the accessories, getting replaced by a top of her new dress, then pants gave place to the frilly skirt, with everything else following soon after. It all happened very fast, and even if you had a good camera, the naked bits were highlighted by magical light, rendering it unable to catch the details. She knew there were some who'd watch it frame by frame just to catch it and send to some shady sites. Internet fame was one thing, but she had at least some decency she'd rather keep.

***

Coco Pommel watched as her new dress, obediently hanging on the mannequin, was gradually being replaced with Sunset's disguise clothes. Gradually being the keyword here. She's doing the theatrics again, she shook her head I sure hope nobody is seeing this. She sighed and turned back to her computer, not bothering with the rest of the spectacle. They practiced this teleportation-swap bit so much, she was sure Sunset could do it in her sleep. I'm starting to regret showing her all those anime clips on OurTube.

***

Blossom Flower used to be the happiest eight year old girl in the world. Memories of her birthday from few days ago were still fresh- of the presents, the party, playing with her friends and generally feeling like the most important person in the world. It all came crushing down in an instant, when instead of her parents coming back home from shopping, it was a big, armed stranger. The same that ordered her to sit in the corner of the hallway, while he did something to the doors, all the while aiming his giant revolver straight at her, threatening to use it if she made a single sound. And while she tried to withhold her tears from exploding out of her eyes, he used her brand new cellphone to contact her parents.

"...I said a car with full bank, hundred grand and no police, unless you don't care what... no, I don't give a crap! You wanna see the brat alive again, then don't try any damn tricks!" The kidnapper threw the tiny pink phone at the ground, barely missing its owner, who sat obediently, hugging her knees, trembling from fear. He snorted at her. "At least you're doing what you're told, unlike your idiot parents! Seriously, they own a multimillion dollar company and won't pay for their daughters safety. What a laugh!"

Blossom Flower did what she could to keep quiet, but it wasn't getting easier. That he kept a gun pointed right at her all the time didn't help her calm down. She looked at the remnants of her new cellphone, about to explode in tears, when...

"Threatening a little child... makes me sick to think we're the same species."

The kidnapper jumped and aimed his gun at the newcomer "What the hell?" He yelled, eyebrows raised as he examined her, clearly not expecting a teenaged girl in gaudy, colorful dress, domino mask and half-cape. Who somehow bypassed all his traps and didn't make a single sound. She was looking at him with visible contempt. "How did you get here? Who the hell are you?"

She visibly rolled her eyes, making sure he saw it despite the mask. "I don't feel like introducing myself to a--" she stopped mid sentence, as she saw a little, crying girl in the corner of the room. She gazed at her with both confusion and awe, even despite having eyes and cheeks wet and red from tears. Sunset frowned, but quickly turned it into a wide smiled. She took a huge breath.

"I'm an ally of justice," she started, while moving her hands around to emphasize her points "with powers granted by the sun, I smite villains that plague this world and rescue those who fell victim to their evil ploy! I am..." Right foot forward, right hand on the hip "MAGICAL GIRL..." Dramatic pause, left foot forward with a loud stomp, left hand saluting with a piece sign.. "...SUNNY!"

The room resounded with echo. Not quite the entrance I planned... Sunset Shimmer heard only the nearby grandfather clock ticking, as well as her rapidly beating heart. The criminal gave her the 'what is this shit' face, while Blossom's shining eyes opened widely and jaw dropped in awe. Sunny smiled. But it'll do. It'll do just fine.

The kidnapper shook his head and grunted. "What--oh who cares!" He pulled the trigger on his revolver... but nothing happened. His eyebrow raised, as he kept trying to shoot again, each time with not effect. Sunny raised a fist at him and opened it, revealing a handful of bullets.

"Looking for those?" She threw them behind her. Teleporting objects within objects wasn't easy, as she had to know the thing inside and out. She has been studying the blueprints of various popular firearms for weeks, hoping knowledge alone was enough to pull it off. And if it didn't, she was going to teleport the weapon instead. So worth the effort! "Give up?"

He didn't say a thing, but threw the gun at her (she easily leaned back to avoid it) and pulled out a switchblade out of his pocket.

"Oh no, a tiny knife," she deadpanned "my only weakness..."

As he rushed at with the blade, Sunny took a defensive stance. She had many ways of dispatching bad guys- telekinetic strikes, fire blasts, teleportation tricks. But she didn't feel like doing any of that and was in a mood to let her fists and legs speak instead. After nimbly dodging the first few stabs, she struck his torso with a fist, then followed with another in the face and, while dazed, kicked the knife out of his hand, then spun around and finished with a roundhouse kick directly at his face, sending him flying few feet away.

And they said four years of karate is a waste of my time!

He quickly stood up and looked around for anything to be used as a weapon. Unfortunately he chose a hallway devoid of anything useful on purpose to better defend himself from police. But there was something... someone else he could use. He smiled viciously and jumped at the hostage, grabbing her by the arm... until she blinked out of existence and Sunny appeared right next to him, grabbing his head and smacking her knee right at his face! As the man slowly fell back, Sunny jumped at the dizzy girl and caught her before she fell after a sudden displacement. Sunny knelt before her, putting both hands on her shoulders, looking her deep into eyes.

"Are you okay? You're not hurt?" She asked, getting only a weak nod for an answer. "You sure? Are your organs all in place?" A confused pause. "I'm serious, I never teleported someone your size... good? Cool. Now go hide in your room and don't leave until I come back for you. Let big sis take care of everything," she patted her head "it shouldn't take long."

The girl nodded, wiped her tears and ran away, leaving the hero and the villain alone, eye to eye. At this point criminals either gave up and cut their losses... or did something incredibly stupid. A single combo usually took care of any assailant, but this one proved a ton more resilient, as he stood on his two feet again, spat the broken tooth out and growled at her direction, clenching his fists. Sunny resumed her battle stance. A for effort, at least. They did mention he's an ex-special forces.

The man struck again, this time with his bare hands, which Sunny still managed to avoid without using any of her powers. When it came to her usual counterattack, the kidnapper dodged her first. The second punch was always a follow up, almost an instinct to her, so she couldn't stop it and panicked a little as the man grabbed her by the cape and violently pulled her down to the ground. With a surprised yelp, she fell on her back, hitting her head on the wooden floor with a loud thud, grunting from the impact. Her vision got blurry for a second, but all it took was one blink to dispel the confusion, fast enough to notice a huge fist incoming at her. With a scared scream, she blinked herself out of danger in the nick of time, as a powerful punch hit the wooden floor, breaking a few bones of her would be killer's hand. She reappeared a few meters above and slammed both of her feet at the back of his head, sending him plummeting face first into ground. After the impact, Sunny wobbled on her feet before regaining her balance, then turning to her enemy to confirm that he wasn't getting up anymore. She sighed with relief a few seconds later when he didn't wake up.

"Holy crap, that was close!" She said to herself, collapsing on her knees and taking the much needed breather. As the adrenaline slowly wore off she turned her head to look at her cape, then tore it off and magically burned it with her flames. "Great, can't wait for the 'I told you so...'" She groaned. "She will not let me live this down..."

***

After five minutes of no response from the kidnapper, despite the parents bringing exactly what he requested, the police was ready to barge inside and take action, but before they made a single step, the front door opened. The police aimed their guns at it, but quickly lowered it when two figures walked out from it. One of them was a little, pink skinned girl, holding hands with a teenage girl in a mask and flashy costume, slowly walking forward, talking about something on the way. The girl was immersed in her new favorite heroine until hearing her parents call her name, at which point she rushed towards them and the three joined in a heartfelt, family hug. Sunny, as well as all the gathered crowds, police and press, observed the scene with a warm feeling in their heart. Until their attention turned elsewhere.

"Oh my god, it's her!"

"It's Magical Girl Sunny!"

"She's real!"

"We love you Sunny!"

"She's even hotter in real life!"

"You go girl!"

She was soon bombarded with cheers from the crowd, which made her stumble back for a bit, mostly out of inexperience with working with crowds this big. She coughed and composed herself, posing for the cameras. Although this time it wasn't just cellphone cameras of questionable quality, but also several news stations from all around the city. If it wasn't for the numerous police cars and policeman spread around the area, she would've been swarmed with a bunch of reporters as well. Even from this distance, she could hear them loud and clear despite the crowds.

"Who are you really?"

"Where do you live?"

"Can we get an exclusive interview?"

"What are your powers?"

"A comment about the recent crime wave?"

"Are there more people like you?"

She wasn't about to answer any of these question, mostly to keep the mystery up. But she couldn't just stay silent all the time. And she had a good line prepared for the occasion.

"I am..." she started. Her voice wasn't loud, but was heard by everyone just fine when everyone in crowds started shushing each other. "I am an ally of justice," she started, with greater conviction than ever "with the powers granted by the sun, I smite villains that plague this world and rescue those who fell victim to their evil ploy! I am..." Right foot forward, right hand on the hip.

"MAGICAL GIRL..." Dramatic pause, left foot forward with a loud stomp, saluting with a piece sign. "...SUNNY... but you already know that," she smiled sheepishly, scratching her head. Awkward... She looked at the little girl, held by her father, as she kept saying something to her parents with greatest, infectious smile on her face, pointing at Sunny all this time. Still worth it.

Just when she was wondering what else she should do right now, she was approached by several policeman and policewoman. She exchanged glances with each officer, making sure she knew where each of their guns is. Not all of them were holstered, but at least none were pointed at her.

"So," she said "are we going to do the whole 'you're under arrest for vigilantism' thing now?"

All the officers looked at each other and shrugged. The few ones who had their guns out immediately holstered them.

"And get on THEIR bad side?" One asked, pointing at the crowds and press. "Ah, hell no! I have at least fifteen more years till retirement!" She turned to her colleagues, but all looked away and whistled.

Sunny sighed with relief and nodded. "Thanks. Good to know not all TV is based off reality."

A middle aged, bigger officer laughed. "Hey, as long as you don't cause any problems and work on the side of good, we're not complaining'! If you didn't want to play nice, you'd be gone or doing even bigger mess than this! Though expect some witch hunters in the future, you know how it is... " All the officers laughed heartily and Sunset couldn't help but snort as well. "I have a little daughter myself, and if she's, heavens forbid, ever in any danger, I want someone like you to be there for her. Speaking of which," he pulled out a notepad and a pen "she's a big fan. Could you, you know?"

Sunny blinked, but signed the piece of paper (with a heart at the end of 'Y' in Sunny). Then others approached her.

"I have a ten year old daughter!"

"I have twins!"

"My girlfriend is totally following you on MyStable!"

"I'm single, I want one for myself, because reasons..."

She blinked, but couldn't find the strength to say no to any of them. Once that was done and they left her alone, she was about to leave, but not before saying goodbye to her new friend. She approached Blossom Flower and her parents with a smile. Before she could muster a single word, they jumped at her with smiles and tears.

"We can't thank you enough, Magical Girl Sunny!"

"You saved our little Blossom!"

"How can we ever repay you?"

"You're the best big sister ever!"

Repay? She blinked at the thought. Her eyes went between the mother, father and daughter, all looking at her wide-eyed, like at an idol to be worshiped well, that was kinda the idea to begin with, but... Her eyes caught a glance at something else. While Blossom's father held her with one hand, the other held a black duffel bag, which wasn't properly closed and she caught a glimpse of numerous banknotes inside. Her eyes widened when she remembered them mentioning paying the ransom with cash. She blinked, then looked back at the little girl and their parents.

She smiled. "W-well..." she opened her mouth, the paused.

The father blinked, realizing where her gaze went just now. "Do you need money? I'm more than glad to share it with my daughters hero!"

"W-wha--?"

He put Blossom on the ground, then pulled a few stacks of banknotes and all but shoved it into her hand. "Please, take it! It's the least we could do!"

With mouth wide open, Sunset looked at the money in her hands. It had to be around... ten grand? Twenty? If she asked nicely, chose her words right she could've get a lot more for her service! It's not like she was stealing or extorting it, they were adamant in giving it to her, and for all the right reasons!

"W-well, that's kind of you..." with heavy heart, she handed the money back into his hands "give that to charity, in my name. Does that sound fair?"

He blinked. "Ugh, uhm, okay? I guess." He exchanged glances with his wife, both dumbfounded by what just happened.

Sunny grinned, then knelt back to the little girl. Blossom Flower looked like she was about to explode from happiness, even despite all she went through. "I need to leave now. Take care of your parents, Blossom, they can be a bunch of crybabies when you're not around."

Sunset raised her hand up for a high five, but instead the girl jumped at her and tackle-hugged her. After barely keeping her balance, she hugged her as well. Once separated, Magical Girl Sunny stood up and smiled brighter than ever before. She assumed her, by now more or less trademarked, pose, of one arm at hip, the other saluting with a peace sign. Seeing Blossom Flower imitate her motions (it was super cute) sealed the deal- that was her new signature pose! I think I stole it from one of those clips Coco showed me... oh well, come at me, lawsuits!

"Sun'ya!" And then she disappeared, while crowds went wild for much longer.

Somewhere in the crowds, two girls followed a magical trail via strange device. Unlike everyone else, they knew that their hero wasn't as far away as everyone thought.

***

Magical Girl Sunset teleported back to the same backyard where she first transformed. After confirming that the coast was still clear, she allowed herself one loud squee, as her body trembled with excitement!

Was that the best day ever or what?! She took a few breathes to try and calm down, at least a bit. Not only did I save the day, established myself as awesome and kind, created my new signature gesture and catchphrase, beat up a scum with sick martial arts (and only some magic), but even made friends with local police forces, wealthy businessman. And Blossom Flower will no doubt be the most popular kid in her school for months!

She stopped herself from apparently walking in circles around the backyard.

Cons: I got a few close calls in fight; awkward display in public; cape was a dud... acceptable losses, lessons learned, don't hold back your magical powers when you could be curb stomping baddies! I can't wait to tell Coco!

She laughed to herself for a while, before finally taking a breath and taking a breath. I think I have enough energy for a few more teleports home. She hummed to herself. Or I could dress back to casual, take a bus, catch some fresh air, cool my head and get snacks on the way? Yup, sounds like a plan! That thought she took a deep breath, extended her hands forward and magically switched her dress with her previous attire. Once back to her tight pants and cocoa sweater, she proceed to summon glasses and beret to her hands instead.

She was so absorbed in her spell that she failed to notice that she was no longer alone and only just before donning the glasses and beret she saw someone else around. Crap, I've been discovered! She had contingency plans for such occasions, after all, what could a bystander do to her, especially in part of the town where nobody knew her? They couldn't send a picture to internet THAT fast, all she had to do was be calm. She was about to enact plan A, but once she took a better look at the newcomer...

"W-what..."

Her mouth opened, eye twitched. The culprit was a girl her age. Her size. Her shape. With the same kind of hair style and colors. Same eyes. Same everything, right down to the shocked expression. The attire was different- teal dress with leather jacket over it was about the only thing that didn't make her immediately think of encountering a giant mirror. The two stood where they were, frozen, for a longer while. One had a pair of shades and black beret in her hands, while other held some kind of brightly shining amulet pointed directly at the other girl.

Neither knew how much time has passed while they were petrified, but the silence was broken by another person.

"Sunset Shimmer, wait-- wait up!" The third girl, a purple skinned and haired glasses wearing one, yelled as she ran next to the jacket wearing one, stopping right next to her to take a few deep breathes, panting and sweating madly. "D-don't run so suddenly, I'm not used to running arouuu--wooooah!" Her eyes widened significantly as she caught the glimpse of her friends doppelganger. Her head switched repeatedly between the two, making her dizzy.

Jacket Sunset swallowed, before taking a step forward. "L-look, I know it's a bit confu--" The Magical Sunset squeeked and took a step back, dropping the contents of her hands to the ground, while observing the other one with panicked expression. Jacket Sunset coughed and tried again. "I just want to--" She extended her hand in what was going to be a goodwill gesture, similar to approaching a wild animal. The Magical Sunset didn't share that sentiment and instead teleported away. "--talk..."

Sunset Shimmer, the original unicorn from Equestria, sighed deeply, hiding a now inactive amulet to her jacket pocket. She passed by equally confused Twilight Sparkle and stopped at the spot where Magical Girl Sunny was just a few seconds ago, picking up the lost shades and beret.

"Who are you?"

***

The familiar 'blink' sound accompanied with a quiet thump made Coco turn away from her laptop. Those were the sounds of Sunset teleporting back to her room, which made her raise an eyebrow. Already?

"You're back! I thought you were going to take time and buy some--" she stopped immediately, as she saw her friend standing in the center of their room with blank expression and trembling legs, breathing heavily. Before she got to ask anything, Sunset collapsed on her knees. "Sunset!" Coco rushed to her friend and caught her as she was going to collapse on her face. "Sunset! Are you alright? What happened?"

She saw many faces of Sunset Shimmer in their short time, but a terrified, heavily breathing, covered in cold sweat one- that was something she wasn't familiar with. Nor did she expected to ever see.

Author's Note:

Yes, I based Sunset's 'undercover' attire on a certain character from RWBY. Her name is Coco Adel. I have a habit of liking characters called Coco. Huh. I'm going for a cup o cocoa, for no reason.

Blossom Flower was based on two characters from Heartcatch Precure- Cure Blossom (main character) and Cure Flower (her grandma; a supporting character and ex superhero). Not that It'll stop you from referencing Powerpuff Girls. I'm okay with that.

Card Captor Sakura is an interesting one. The story isn't anything to write home about, but it was enjoyable enough that I read the entire manga back in the day. The curious thing about it is the fact that Sakura herself doesn't transform- all her magical girl outfits are designed by her friend, who also has a huge crush on her and the two are adorable together. Sounds familiar?
I don't know how it holds up to this day, but I can definitely recommend it on nostalgia alone. The art is gorgeous, but thats what you get from CLAMP (who also brought us Chobits, Magical Girl Rayearth, Tsubasa Chronicles and Code Geass, to name a few).
Also the music is really sweet and I can't get enough of it.

Next time, I'll fanboy a lot over a franchise I recently rediscovered. Not saying which one, but hints are very close...