• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 6,816 Views, 706 Comments

Magical Girl Sunny - Jetto



She's strong! She's magical! She's beautiful! She's... Sunset Shimmer? Or isn't she? The answer is not as simple as one might think.

  • ...
21
 706
 6,816

Intermission: Space Sheriff Shining

Takes place somewhere between chapters 16 and 17. You know, prior to the separation.
Sorry, I had to write this while inspiration was high.

Mithril Shield yawned loudly. His partner, Captain Shining Armor, suppressed the urge to chastise him for his unprofessional behavior. Their lives became a little too easy now that every major crime in Canterlot city was handled by a genuine superheroine. Sure, the superiors weren't happy with an underaged girl fighting criminals in their stead, but the common policemen were more than happy to not risk their lives and let someone with magical powers take over. It usually took only a few minutes anyway, so it's not like anyone was complaining that their jobs were limited to surrounding the area and arresting the beat up bad guys.

Shining Armor sighed, wishing he could do something more. Equestrian magic combined with martial arts was an efficient combo, but for how long would that be enough? What if he should step it up. What if he...

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

A high pitched beeping threw him out of his thoughts. He looked at his watch making the sounds, then discreetly looked around the nearby area. Shield was busy yawning and waiting, so was anyone else in the area. He crouched behind his car and pressed a button on the watch.

"Shining here. What's the situation?" He asked over the communicator on his wrist.

"Ve hav an emergenzy, Shiring!" A heavily accented female voice answered. "I'm under attack! Itz zhe Dusk Empire! I could uze zome help!"

Shining frowned. "Hold on tight, I'll be right there!"

"Don't keep me vaiting, darling!" She said in a sultry voice.

Shining rolled his eyes. "Vada, how many times do I have to tell you I'm married?"

"And how many timez do I have to zay I zon't mind?" He could practically hear her wink.

Shining sighed heavily. "Shining out!"

As the call ended, Shining Armor tried to sneak away from the scene, when Mithril Shield turned his way.

"Hey, where are you going? We're about to arrest those guys!"

Shining swallowed, slowly turning to his partner. "Uhm, you see, I was... I was... uh..."

Shield snickered. "Oh, you don't have to hide it. I know what you're up to!"

Shining's sweating intensified. "Y-you do?" CRAP, CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Shield's smile grew tenfold. "Oh I do know, you little devil you," he waggled his eyebrow "you're in a hurry to see your wife!"

Shining Armor's sweat stopped. "I... uhm..." he started laughing nervously "yeah, you got me!"

"Heh, knew it! I see how you two look at each other. It's okay, man, I got this," he extended his fist toward him "now go and make your wife happy!"

Shining Armor smiled, fist bumping his partner. "Thanks man, I owe you one!"

"By now it's more like twelve, but who's counting? No go, before I change my mind!"

Shining Armor nodded gratefully. Mithril Shield noticed a few beaten up thugs teleported in front of the museum, with their very own superheroine right after them, ready for pictures and fame.

"Shiny, you can take the car, I'll get with the o-" he looked at where his friend had been just a while ago, but was nowhere in sight now. "-thers..." He shrugged. Loverboy...


Meanwhile, on the other side of the galaxy, on the sand planet Juspion IV. On one side of the canyon was a group of ragged, freshly rescued prisoners, mostly children and elder Juspionians, and on the other side a squadron of over a hundred heavily armed dark footsoldiers, led by a tall, blue skinned muscled alien in a tight leather-like costume with a cape, and a giant, humanoid shrimp monster by his side. Between the two groups stood a lone blue skinned alien woman with long red hair, dressed in a skintight yellow jumpsuit, a standard uniform of the Intergalactic Police Force. She was limping on her left leg and barely breathing, but that didn't stop her from holding her laser sword up against the army.

The leader of the army laughed. "Zurrender to me now, Vadathaiela. Zee Emperor could give you one more chance to stand on zee vinning zide of ze war!"

The woman snorted. "I vould rather die zaving zhose people, den zerve you!"

The man shrugged. "I vaz hoping you vould zay dat." He pulled out a laser pistol out and aimed it at her "I vill enjoy zis!"

Vada swallowed, but grit her teeth and braced her sword harder, awaiting the inevitable. Just then, a few laser beams shot from the sky, the ensuing explosions decimating the faceless army to half its size.

"VHAT?!" The leader of the army growled at the fighter jet in the skies. Vada smiled hopefully as she recognized who the ship belonged to.

The jet circled around the army and fired a few more shots, each taking five or so soldiers out. When it reached Vada's position, a single person jumped out of it and landed right next to her. He reached his hand toward her.

"Sorry it took so long," Shining Armor, now dressed in a matching jumpsuit as his otherworldly partner, said. "You okay?"

Vada took his hand, then suddenly jumped at him with a hug. "SHIRING! YOU'RE HERE!" She then unhugged him and crossed her arms with a pout. "Vhat took you zo long? I vaz about to die!"

Shining Armor scratched the back of his head. "Sorry, I had to take a detour over Spielban quadrant, space dust and all..."

Vada groaned, but eventually cheered up and smiled. "Don't mind! I'm juzt happy I got to zee you again, my love!"

Shining sighed. "Again, I have a wife back home."

She rolled her eyes. "I knov. You von't shut up about her!"

The two exchanged glares, snickered at each other, then looked back at the enemy unit. It was less than a tenth of its original size after the recent air attack, but that still left a dozen soldiers, along with their leader and monster of the week. Those usually took a single Sheriff alone to take down!

"Fourteen of them and only two of us."

"Yeah. Zhey're out of luck."

Shining Armor raised his right arm toward her, showing the communicator on his wrist.

"You ready?"

She nodded, raising her left arm, which had a matching one.

"Alvayz!"

The two wristbands started to glow once they touched each other (bands, not Shiny and Vada, you pervs!).

"TRANSFORM!" Both shouted, as they made an action pose.

"NO!" The leader extended his hand at the duo. "Don't let zhem finish zheir tranzvor-"

Before he could finish the sentence, the two were already done before anyone could blink. They were now wearing a matching set of metallic full-body armors, one slightly bulkier, the other more feminine, both matching their respective colors- Shining Armor's was a metallic white with a lot of light blue accents, while Vada's was a dark blue with red accents.

"-mation..."

Quick explanation is in order: Shining Armor and Vadathaiela are a duo of Space Sheriffs working for Intergalactic Police Force, an organization that fights intergalactic crime in every starfaring region of galaxy. While Earth was not included (for obvious reasons), due to his righteous morality and out of the box thinking skills, Shining Armor was scouted for the position of a Space Sheriff, an intergalactic law enforcer.

He and Vada met in the academy for potential future Space Sheriffs, but the Dusk Empire attacked it in the middle of their training and almost destroyed the organization, along with the higher ups of the Intergalactic Police Force. Vada started out as a spy for the empire, but her time with Shining Armor made her discard the old ways and she became one of the most promising Sheriffs in history, along with her unrequited (but not given up) love. Together, they fight to uphold justice in space and aim to finally put an end to the Dusk Empire and bring back peace to her once peaceful homeworld.

That said, even though she was a skilled candidate for a Space Sheriff and made the right choice in the end, she was still held responsible for many casualties, so her ability to transform into her battle form was restricted to be used only in conjunction with her partner, at least until she builds some more trust with superiors and pays for her crimes. Hence why she had to stand her ground in her regular form.

Also, her race believes in bigamy, just in case anyone wonders.

It's a long story, but the basic gist of it is simple: the two of them are...

"SPACE SHERIFF!" Shining Armor made a few heroic poses as he announced himself "SHINING!"

"SPACE SHERIFF!" She matched his poses and enthusiasm. "VADA!"

There was an explosion behind them, thankfully far enough from the rescued Juspionians, so it didn't do any damage, but looked darn cool.

The leader of the Dusk army groaned, pointing his laser sabre at the two. "GET ZEM!"

As the henchmen, leader and a giant shrimp monster charged at them, the Space Sheriff Duo assumed defensive stances.

"I vill take ze loud one! Ve've got zome unfinished buzinezz!"

"Old friend?"

"He vishez!"

The two yelled a battle cry, as they rushed into the fray...


Cadence opened her eyes lazily, yawning as her hand automatically reached out towards the alarm clock, turning the annoying sound off. Sitting upright on her bed and yawning one more time, she looked at her darling husband, still in deep sleep right next to her. This weird dream again... She smiled to herself. I wonder what awaits those two in the future.

She closed her face to her husband's and kissed his cheek. "Wakey, wakey, Shining. The universe needs you."

Shining shuffled unconsciously and mumbled. "Mhhmm... I have... a ... yawn... a wife..."

Cadence smiled at her darling husband.

"Yes, you do," she left the bed and walked away, dragging their only quilt with her, revealing his naked skin (minus shorts he slept in) to the chilly air in the room, sending shivers down his spine.

"And don't you ever forget it!"

Author's Note:

I had to. Happy April Fools Day! And Easter too, I guess...

Space Sheriff Gavan is the first show from the Metal Hero, a tokusatsu series that ran for 17 years alongside Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, though it never reached quite their iconic status. The story is simple- Gavan is a Space Sheriff, assigned to protect earth from intergalactic criminal organization called Makuu. It’s a cheesy, monster of the week story that I have never watched and the only reason I know who he is, is because he appeared in a movie with Gokaiger (35th Super Sentai show, which is awesome) and then in some other works.

There were a few movies about a successor to Gavan title later. I watched them and they were alright, but nothing special. The sequels Shaider and Sharivan (I don’t remember the order) were slightly better and the trio has been appearing in Toei’s tokusatsu crossovers from time to time since, along with some other old forgotten heroes.

True charm of Space Sheriff Gavan (and Shaider and Sharivan too, I guess) is the concept itself, not necesserily the execution. Space Sheriff sounds like the most badass title possible. I want to make an RPG character with that backstory! Also, I mentioned it in the passing before, but Space Sheriff series solved the age old problems of “what do the villains do when hero transforms”? The answer is simple- nothing. They have no time to react.

Gavan’s transformation takes a milisecond, but the show is kind enough to slow down the process so we could see it in full. That. Is. Genius!


A confession- in case you're wondering why this small April Fools chapter is so full of content and why Vada has a personality way more elaborate than a normal cliche I would normally use for a joke chapter, it's because I was at some point going to write this story in full, instead of Magical Girl Sunny. It lost in the end and I doubt I'll ever get it done, but it would be a shame not to at least introduce the idea to you. Would you read a story of Shining and Vada training to become Space Sheriffs and see their origins in full? I'm not saying never, but also this is a pony site, so you know...