• Published 10th Dec 2016
  • 6,829 Views, 706 Comments

Magical Girl Sunny - Jetto



She's strong! She's magical! She's beautiful! She's... Sunset Shimmer? Or isn't she? The answer is not as simple as one might think.

  • ...
21
 706
 6,829

10. Crystal Prep Earth Defense Club SUNNY!

Fifteen minutes turned into twenty five, but to their credit, the Rainbooms, the Shadowbolts and Sci-Twi were patiently waiting on the hallway, while Magical Girl Sunset Shimmer and Coco prepared themselves. At some points they were worried they had escaped through the window (or teleported away) and had to knock on the door to confirm that they were just taking a while to clean and prepare themselves, both mentally, fashionly (that is not a word!) and whatever other ways there were to have a calm, civilized talk. The first few minutes of waiting were a little awkward, until Pinkie Pie took out some card game about dwarves digging tunnels, searching for gold and sabotaging each other to pass the time. They were about to finish the last round when both girls opened the door and noticed twelve girls, sitting in a circle around a network of tunnels made out of cards, all looking at them pleadingly, as if begging for 'one more turn'.

Magical Girl Sunset, currently in her civilian uniform of black long pants, tight sweater, as well as recently reacquired beret and sunglasses leaned to Coco. "I imagined this moment a bit differently." Coco only chuckled sheepishly.

Unicorn Sunset Shimmer stood up first. "So, ready to talk?"

"Yeah, I guess we are," she nodded, before her stomach made a few unflattering noises. She looked away with a slight blush "...right after a late breakfast!"

***

One late breakfast (and small snacks for the others, because waiting for two people to eat while not having anything didn't feel fair for the establishment) in the nearby fast food joint, the group of fourteen girls were ready for a long awaited exposition. They claimed the large table in the corner, away from the crowds and cashiers, but still open enough that nobody felt like they were in any danger from either party.

Sunset Shimmer (the unicorn version) started "Before we get anywhere, I need to ask you one last time and please, please be completely, one hundred percent honest with me on this one."

"Yes. I am still a virgin."

Indigo Zap, Sour Sweet, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Rarity spat their drinks at the same time. The others had better luck of not having any beverage near their mouth, though Sugarcoat was unfortunate to sit at a wrong angle, but she took a stream of soda to the face with the utmost dignity. Or apathy, it was hard to tell.

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself," Beret Shimmer giggled (totally worth it!) "it's true, though."

Jacket Sunset blinked. "Uh... kay... good to know?"

"Welcome to my world..." Coco managed to deadpan.

Beret Sunset kept chuckling nervously. "Hey, at least it helped break the ice, right?" She took a look at the gathered girls, some of which were still wiping their mouths, tables and Sugarcoat, then coughed and looked away. "Sorry."

Jacket Shimmer nodded, but couldn't help a smile. She got that part right! "What is your name?"

"Sunset Shimmer."

"I figured you'd say that."

"Back at you, what is your name?"

"My name is Sunset Shimmer, too."

There was a pause. The two had their eyes locked at each other.

"Seems like we're at an impasse."

"It appears so."

After another brief pause of everyone too afraid to say something, Rarity coughed. "May I interject? Can we please find some good way to differentiate you two in speech? Because I swear, the last thing we need is having to specify which Sunset Shimmer we are talking about every sentence!" She raised her hand. "All in favor?"

Everyone raised their hands. The choosing part, however...

"Sunset Shimmer#1 and Sunset Shimmer#2 are out of the question?" Twilight asked. "I-I mean, she" pointing at CHS Sunset "was here first... no? Okay, nevermind."

"CHS Sunset and CP Sunset doesn't quite roll off the tongue either."

"What about Jacket Shimmer and Beret Shimmer? Isn't that what we think of them right now?"

"I don't wear the beret as a Magical Girl."

"Can't we just call them Old and New Sunset?"

"How is that different than number 1 and number 2?"

"Other than not sounding like a potty emergency?"

"I mean, we know our Sunset is a lot older than us, so-"

"I'M NOT OLD!"

"Sure, you're eternally seventeen."

"Not what I meant!"

"Why don't we just call them Human Sunset and Po-"

"PINKIE PIE!"

"What? You were going to tell her anyway!"

"But not right now!"

"'Po' what?" Magical Girl Sunny asked, looking over the group, who all of a sudden averted their eyes . "What are you not telling me?"

"I will tell you everything, I promise," Sunset 'Unicorn' Shimmer reassured her "but let's get this sorted out first!"

"Let's just call them Lucy and Stacy!"

Magical Girl Sunny facepalmed. "Okay, this is getting silly!" She stood up from her chair and pointed a finger at her double. "You can be Sunset, I don't mind, and I'll be Sunny. Does that sound fair?"

"I-I guess...?"

"I object!" Sunny Flare raised her hand, but Lemon Zest lowered it, shaking her head to her in a 'not now' manner.

"You're okay with not being called by your name?" Indigo Zap raised an eyebrow.

"I'm making the necessary sacrifice!" She proudly announced. "Also, I wouldn't make myself a nickname I didn't like in the first place. Now, can we go back to whatever super secret you're hiding from me, or do I have to beat you up one more time?" She waited a little while, but was met mostly with confused and terrified stares. She swallowed. "I'm not going to beat you, or anyone else for that matter... I promise!" She scratched her head, as everyone sighed with relief.

Sunset took a deep breath. "I have to warn you first: what you're about to hear might sound a bit... insane."

Sunny chuckled and waved her hand. "Girl, I'm a teleporting, fire shooting, crime fighting teenage superhero at the table with her doppelganger who fought me with a pair of gloves that shoot energy and suck magic, as well as a squirt gun that shoots cinnamon liquid concrete—"

"I'm sorry, what?" Sour Sweet asked, but was swiftly ignored.

"—you have to try really, really hard to surprise me!"

"I'm a unicorn."

Single blink. "...what."

"I am a unicorn who came to this world by a magical mirror (which also turned me into a human), from the magical land of Equestria." After a brief pause she added. "It's a land of ponies. And other magical creatures. But mostly ponies."

All sounds stopped. Sunny blinked a few times. She opened and closed her mouth a few times, then a tiny smirk appeared on her face, which then grew into a goofy smile, before she snorted once. She burst into laughter.

"Pffbwahahaha! HAHAHAHAHA" That lasted at least a few minutes. Once her lungs gave up, she stopped to take a breath, then went into another fit of laughter again. The cycle repeated one more time, before Sunny finally calmed down for long enough to notice that she was the only one laughing. Everyone else's expressions ranged from annoyed grimaces, sheepish giggles and patient, but understanding, polite smiles.

She coughed and asked. "You're not kidding?"

Sunset shook her head.

Sunny turned to everyone else. "She's not kidding?" Everyone else either shrugged, shook their heads or otherwise confirmed or didn't deny. She looked at Coco, who was only able to offer a confused shrug, then back at Sunset. "Oh my god, you're not kidding!?" She asked, getting a simple head shake in response.

"Okay..." She took a sip of her soda, then composed herself, joined her hands before her with elbows on the table and looked Sunset in the eyes. "I'm listening."

And so she listened to more or less the entire story of how Sunset "Unicorn" Shimmer appeared in this world. She started from being a student to Princess Celestia, to crossing the boundaries of reality and appearing in CHS and manipulating its students into fighting each other, meeting Pri-Twi, turning into a raging She-Demon and getting blasted with the Power of Friendship. She skimmed over her redemption arc, only briefly mentioning the Sirens and Battle of the Bands, but went into more detail when it came to Friendship Games, from the confusion over Sci-Twi, the magical anomalies happening from it, to the epic Daydream Shimmer and Midnight Sparkle battle, which made her recent fight seem like a friendly sparring match (it really wasn’t).

"So, lemme get this straight..." Sunny asked, massaging the top of her nose. "...you're from a dimension of pastel ponies..."

"Pretty much."

"...where everyone from this world has an equine counterpart...?"

"I'm not sure about everyone, but most of the CHS, and even some Crystal Prep, students and faculty do have a counterpart there, like Twilight, or the Rainbooms. And, apparently, you."

"...and you're some sort of... magical pony princess?"

"No, I'm just a regular unicorn, although I personally know two of them." She touched her chin to think. "I could probably contact Luna and Cadance if I wanted to, though."

Sunny blinked, then leaned over to Coco. "Wasn't Cadence the name of our Dean? The one who's on her honeymoon?"

Sci-Twi answered instead. "Yes, she's a princess in Equestria. Also my sister in law, in both worlds... don't ask."

Sunset continued. "Princesses are all alicorns, which is a winged unicorn, and you have to be either born as one, or earn it with your actions, like Pri-Twi did." She paused, then averted her eyes. "Like I could have, but didn't." Without looking, she raised her hand towards the Rainbooms. "No, I'm not brooding! Put the magazine away!"

The Rainbooms (and Sci-Twi) looked at each other, smiling nervously. "A-ah dunno what yer talkin' bout!" Applejack said nervously, discreetly hiding her copy of 'Ranchers Monthly' back to her backpack.

Sunny sat low on her seat, arms crossed, eyes wandering from her almost empty cup to Sunset, then back, trying to process everything. She turned to the Shadowbolts. "Did you all know that?"

Sunny Flare shrugged. "Not all of it, but we got the general idea. We were right there when Sunset and Twilight turned into Daydream and Midnight, respectively. When the dimensional borders cracked, we saw a little bit of Equestria and it's real."

Indigo Zap added. "Although we never knew Sunset was actually a unicorn."

Sunset shrugged. "It never came up."

Sunny slowly nodded. "I'm gonna need some time to process all of that. Like... a week. Maybe two?"

Coco crossed her arms and pouted away. "’This is one of the dumbest theories you had’, she said" they didn't miss the tiny smirk on her face "'just because I know some tricks doesn't mean we have alternative realities', she said. I suppose we're in season 2, now that we have a magical land of ponies and fairies." Coco's smirk grew a few sizes, while Sunny looked away, blushing heavily.

"Shut up..."

Coco didn't say any other words, content with the rare opportunity to giggle to herself at Sunny's expense.

"I told you my story as promised," Sunset continued "now it's your turn."

After a brief pause, Sunny snorted. "My story... my story is not even half as interesting as yours." She sighed deeply and turned with a weak smile to Coco. "Well, there goes our little secret."

"They were going to find out eventually." Coco said.

Sunny smiled, then scratched her head. "I don't know where to begin, really? Here I was, living my life, when one day I woke up with powers!" She announced, then paused. "Huh, that's easier to explain than I imagined!"

Sunset blinked. "That's it?"

"Pretty much. When I woke up, I was floating above the floor and I didn't have time to yell before I faceplanted into the carpet. After that, a bunch of things in my room started floating around, appearing and disappearing in and out, and I burned my favorite shirt! Thankfully, I saw enough cartoons to realize what was going on, so I managed to calm down and everything went back to normal. Minus the burned clothes and all the mess I had to clean up, that is."

The Rainbooms hummed and looked at each other, before Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. "That's it? No evil clones, long lost twins or at least a changeling from Equestria?"

"Trust me, I'm more disappointed than you are."

"When exactly was that?" Twilight asked.

"About two months ago. Why?"

As if one girl, all the Rainbooms, Shadowbolts and Twilight synchronised on a single answer. "Friendship Games!"

Sunny and Coco looked at each other but could only shrug.

"Could Sunny's magical powers come from opening the rift between two worlds?" Rarity asked and everyone's gazes turned to Sci-Twi and Sunset.

Twilight shifted nervously. "I-I don't know... maybe?"

"We'll have to ask Princess Twilight if it's possible," Sunset said, then turned back to Sunny "does anyone else know about it? The powers or superheroing?"

Sunny shook her head. "Coco was the only one I told anything."

"What 'bout yer parents?" Applejack asked. "Ya did'n tell them anythin'?" Sunny opened her mouth, but immediately closed it and turned to the side. "Ah can't image they support riskin' yer life like that?" As she waited for an answer, she noticed Coco behind Sunny's back, shaking her head and hands. Applejack raised an eyebrow, not quite sure what she was trying to tell her.

Sunny turned to Coco, who immediately stopped and looked away. She smiled at her, clearly aware of what her friend was trying to achieve, then turned back to everyone. "No, my... current legal guardians don't know a thing. In fact, I promised them I would stay out of trouble," she chuckled nervously "heh, teenagers, can't trust them, huh?" She tried to contaminate the air with her forced, fake laughter, but she couldn't fool anyone, herself included. She sighed, then explained.

"We went on a family trip, my parents and I, when I was six, but on the way back there was an... accident," her head lowered, she put her shaking hands on the table, as she ignored anyone who tried to stop her. "My parents died on the spot, while I ended up in a hospital in a critical condition. I woke up six months later. They said it was a miracle that I survived... yay me."

There was a small pause. Nobody else had any guts to say a thing. A moment later, she felt someone's hand touching her. She turned to Coco, who was smiling weakly, but brightly nonetheless. She couldn't help but brighten up a bit as well.

"After that, I landed in an orphanage, then in a foster family. Eventually, I settled on a boarding high-school, before getting my powers and transferring here in the middle of the school year, for... personal reasons," she took a deep breath, then exhaled "wow, it sure feels good to get it off my chest! I feel much better now!" She looked around the table, where the general reactions ranged from terrified, tearing up, shocked, patronizing and Sugarcoat's lack of reaction.

Fluttershy was the first one to break the silence. "I-I'm sorry, we didn't-"

Sunny raised her hand. "Stop! Don't say another word!"

"B-but..."

"I'm an all A student in the most prestigious school this side of the globe, also a superhero with magical powers and a set of fabulous dresses. My life is awesome. I don't need nor want any pity from anyone!"

"But..."

"Anyone who tries to treat me like a helpless, poor little orphan girl will be punched in the face without warning!" She pointed at Sunset. "Ask her how pleasant it feels."

"It doesn't."

"Thank you!"

After a brief moment, Rarity coughed. "I feel that I know what the answer will be by now, but I will ask anyway," she looked into Sunny's eyes "are we friends already?"

Sunny blinked, looked at everyone at the table, then shrugged. "Well, after all this talk, I don't feel like being your enemy, so... I guess so?"

Rarity sighed. "Oh, thank heavens! Because I've been meaning to ask you... umm," she looked at everyone gathered "just to be clear, we don't have any lingering questions or details left to talk about that can't wait for some other time?" Everyone looked at each other, a few whispers were exchanged, before everyone agreed that the most important part was behind them and whatever doubts there were could wait for another time. With that in mind, Rarity nodded and went back to Sunny. "If you don't mind me asking, where did you get those fantastic designs? They are like nothing I have ever seen before! Are you making then with your magic?"

"Oh, that?" Sunny chuckled, pushing Coco before herself. "Everything Magical Girl Sunny wears comes from the creative mind and hands of this here miss Pommel," she leaned over the flustered Coco "say hi, Coco!"

Coco stuttered, but waved her hand anyway. "H-hi?"

Sunny giggled, all but passing her friend to Rarity. "Ain't she adorable?"

"Quite," Rarity nodded, then turned all her attention to the tiny girl "miss Pommel, you just must tell me how you came up with all of your ideas!"

Coco blinked. She looked at Sunny, getting a nod of approval, so she nodded back and the two fashionistas started their dialogue. Sunny moved her chair away from the two, who at this point were speaking in 'fabulous' and she couldn't understand every second word that came out of their mouths, but she was glad to see there was someone who could speak with Coco like an equal. She seems familiar, but I can't quite put a finger on it. Where have I seen her before? She was happy for her. And not jealous at all!

Before they noticed, the topic of two Sunset Shimmers got moved to the backburner and most people were already engaged in their own topics, and she wasn't feeling like she was on an interrogation anymore. Part of it had something to do with there being two Twilight Sparkles and the Princess one sending her regards via magical book. Everyone got busy on their own and nobody was looking at her anymore. All, except one person. Her other self, that is. This will take FOREVER to get used to! Sunset "Unicorn" Shimmer was the only person not engaged in any small talk.

Sunny got off her seat and joined her, as she sat alone, distanced from everyone else. "You've been awfully quiet for some time. Food for thought?"

Sunset sighed. "I'm just thinking about... stuff. I still have a lot of questions."

"Such as?"

"When I first got here, I found... Sunset Shimmer. This world's Sunset Shimmer, who was..."

"My great-aunt," Sunny interrupted her "she used to live in Canterlot, and passed away a few years ago. Is that what you almost said yesterday. before you stopped yourself?"

Sunset nodded. "Great-aunt?"

"Yup. My grandfather's sister, who I inherited the name after. I only met her once, way back in the day and I barely remember a thing. My grandfather used to say that she loved this city and wanted nothing but to protect it as its first ever female police officer," she snorted "he said I looked just like her."

Sunset managed a smile as well. "I guess bravado runs in the family. I could show you where her grave is. If you want to visit her someday."

Sunny nodded. "Yeah. I'd like that... so, any other questions?"

Sunset hummed for a moment, before asking. "Why did you become a magical girl?"

Sunny giggled. "That was Coco's idea, actually. I wanted to be the usual, spandex wearing superhero, but she insisted that this would've gone with public a lot better. And, truth be told, it grew on me!"

"No, I mean, why have you decided to fight crime at all?"

Sunny paused, her head lowering. "Because I can..."

Sunset blinked. "That's it?"

"...and I remember a time when I couldn't," she sighed, then added in a hushed tone "my previous foster family... they're all currently in jail or juvie. Don't pity them, they had it coming and they deserve everything that happened to them. For years, I couldn't do anything, no matter how much I wanted. Then I got my powers and all of a sudden, I could do a lot. I could do... something!" She announced with a cheerful smile, but quickly noticed Sunset's confusion. "It's a long story. Remind me someday to tell it to you." Sunset only nodded. After a brief moment of silence between the two, Sunny continued. "Does it bother you?"

"What?"

"Some girl that looks like you fights crime in the city and the internet won't shut up about it. Does it bother you?"

Sunset took a while to answer. "Not anymore," she shook her head "it used to, but only because it happened so suddenly, and because I didn't know anything. But now... I think the world could use some help," she reached out to her jacket pocket and produced a small, black box "the owner of a certain jewelry store thinks so, at least. I was asked to deliver this to you." She opened the box, revealing a pair of golden earrings, shaped as two suns with wavy beams coming out of it.

Sunny's eyes went wide as she whistled. "They're... beautiful!" She leaned closer to examine them in detail. "I'm not a jewelry person, but this... I don't know, the shape just... speaks to me, somehow."

"That's our cutie mark."

"A what mark?"

"Cutie mark. Pony stuff, remind me to tell you about it some day."

Sunny nodded, then reached her hand to grab the box, but Sunset pulled it away at the last moment.

"But just to be clear, I only accept Magical Girl Sunny because she's doing good for the world!" She said, making Sunny roll her eyes. "I promised everyone that, as a local expert on magic, I will keep magic of this world in check, so-"

"Yes, yes, if I ever abuse my powers and go bad, we'll have a round two."

"Exactly. And this time it won't end in a draw."

Sunny snorted. "Draw? Please, I handed your ass to you!"

Sunset looked away. "I was holding back."

"Uh-huh. That wasn't even your final form, huh?"

"Actually, it really wasn't. Next time you'll have a taste of Daydream."

"Just accept it, sister. I won!"

"I'm serious! I almost got you, even though I was only using a few hastily made gizmos!"

"That's like saying you didn't lose because you used your left hand!"

"Actually, I'm left handed!"

"So am I!"

"Go figure." The two matched their eyes for a while longer, before they smiled and burst into laughter.

Sunset wiped a single tear, then gave Sunny the box. "Okay, I believe you. But you have to promise to be careful!"

"I promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly," she started reciting, but in the middle of her sentence she noticed Sunset gasping at her. She heard a few voices behind her doing the exact same, so she turned around "stick a cupcake..." to notice the Rainbooms and Sci-Twi gasping just as loudly "...in my..." She turned back, but instead of Sunset, a pink face launched at her.

"HOW DO YOU KNOW A PINKIE PROMISE?!"

"EEeeyee!" She yelled as she fell back with her chair.

SMASH!

"Oww!" She said slowly, while Sunset had a strange feeling of deja 'not quite' vu.

The pink Rainboom (I thought only I could teleport here! What was her name again? Violet Cake? Fuschia Tart?) smiled sheepishly, offering a helping hand. "Whoops, sorry!" Once back on her feet, the girl bombarded her with questions. "How do you know a Pinkie Promise? Who told you that? Do you know what will happen if you break a Pinkie Promise? Is your head okay?"

Sunny massaged her head, while looking at the girl with confusion. Cyan Biscuit? Scarlet Cookie? No, that can't be right! "Pinkie... Promise?"

The pink girl nodded energetically. "Yup, that's a Pinkie Promise!" Her face went closer to Sunny. "Which I created!" And closer. "And only my friends know about it!" 'Will kiss if moved an inch' close. "Did you spy on us?"

Sunset pulled the girl away a notch, giving Sunny much needed space to breathe. "Pinkie Pie, personal space!"

Pinkie Pie... meh, close enough. "It's just something I made up," Sunny explained, scratching the back of her head "or more like, something I dreamed of a long time ago."

Pinkie Pie crossed her arms and tilted her head, raising an eyebrow in disbelief. "Oh really?"

Sunny shrugged. "I kept having this dream while I was in a coma," she scratched her head "I was friends with this girl, but then I had to go away, so she made me promise, with that rhyme, that I would be back, but..." she sighed, as her head narrowed "...that was the day before my accident, so yeah."

Everyone went silent, not wanting to dig the emotionally draining topic any deeper. Except Pinkie Pie. "So you promised to come back, but you couldn't because you had an accident?"

"Yes. It was just a dream, though."

Pinkie Pie opened and closed her mouth a few times. That reaction alone made almost everyone speechless. "What if she's still waiting?"

Sunny paused for a moment. "I guess, but it's not like she's... real..." she stopped, as her eyes widened.

Pinkie Pie took one step closer. "What do you remember about her?"

Sunny blinked and moved closer to Pinkie. "It was a long time ago, I only remember that she had... she had..." she swallowed, before continuing "...pink... skin... and hair..." She took a deep breath, her eyes going wider than ever before. "...Diane?"

Pinkie swallowed. "Shimmy?"

Sunny covered her mouth with her hands, as tears appeared in her eyes. "Diane!"

Pinkie Pie started tearing up as well. "Shimmy!"

Author's Note:

The game they were playing on the hallway is not a made-up thing, it exists. It's called Saboteur, it's super fun and you should play it.

Full disclosure- originally this chapter was much longer, so I had to cut it in half for your reading convenience. Rest assured- the rest is ready to go, but I want to go back to Tuesday releases, so I might as well let you wait. Theorize. Suffer. Wonder what the truth is. Throw tantrums. You know, what commenters on on fanfic sites usually do.
Nah, just kidding, I love you all :heart: Yes, even you, no matter how much you despise me :rainbowkiss:

Normally I would link an opening or a good video that showcases current show, but try as I might, I couldn't find a single one, so a picture has to suffice.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love (roughly translated to "Binan High's Earth Defense Club LOVE") is a very special show. As you can tell from pictures (or memory), it's about a team of Magical BOYS! Rare thing indeed and that alone deserves attention. But there is more.

The story is so bog standard I won't even bother mentioning it, but with one caveat- it's a parody. Not just of magical girl shows, but anime trends in general, making fun of stuff like 'nonsensical clubs that do nothing but are main focus', or 'the absurdly powerful student council', the 'they can't recognize them even though they don't wear masks (with hilarious explanation)' or even male anime sterotypes that main characters, villains and supporting cast falls into. And even though there are dozens of parodies of current anime, this one does it in such a loving, caring and non-offensive way that you can't help but laugh with it, at things you like. And that's good. I only finished season 1, I'll get to season 2 eventually, but I heard a lot of good things about it.

And I know what some of you will ask- is this yaoi? No. Is this shonen ai (male romance)? No. But it's dang close and I don't mind in the slightest.

Next time, I will talk about Sailor Moon... except not.