• Published 27th Sep 2016
  • 3,932 Views, 45 Comments

A Darkness Softly Creeping - kudzuhaiku



Into Canterlot, a darkness comes softly creeping

  • ...
4
 45
 3,932

Just one, and done

Two figures touched down on the ice-grazed streets of Canterlot, landing in the islands of pale light offered by the burning gas lamps that stood like silent sentinels along the edge of the road. The soft flutter of wings could be heard as they landed, but the sound was muffled by the faint pattering of falling snow.

The first was an alicorn, blue, a regal figure, and she had a commanding pose about her. The second was a pegasus, somewhat smaller than the alicorn, and his body faded from black to grey. He shivered in the freezing cold and brushed snow off of the alicorn’s back with his wing.

The pair of them moved towards a tall, narrow townhouse at the end of the street, a building surrounded by a number of guards. Not just any guards, but Princess Luna’s guards. The big, burly, bat-winged draconic pegasi patrolled around the house, and they saluted when Princess Luna and her companion drew near.

The townhouse was shrouded in darkness, it writhed in shadow, and not a single light shone from the windows. Moans and shrieks could be heard coming from the house, and it wasn’t the wind. Princess Luna paused mid-step, tilted her head upwards, and looked at the house, her eyes narrow and grim looking as she studied the situation.

Beside her, her companion did much the same.

Resuming her slow, calm, regal stride, Princess Luna approached two ponies wrapped in winter clothing. So bundled up were they that it was difficult to make out what sort of ponies they were. They stood together, looking fearful, nervous, and ice glazed their nostrils as they huffed and puffed in the bitter, bone-chilling cold.

“Princess Luna,” the first pony said, the taller of the two, and a stallion by the grittiness of his voice. He bowed his head a little, almost too bundled up to move.

“Thank you for coming,” the second said, also a stallion, but he sounded just a little effeminate. His voice was soft, almost velvety, and his fear made his words quaver just a little. “Our daughter…” His words trailed off as he turned his head to look at the house behind him.

Head high, Princess Luna looked down upon them, and clouds of her breath were visible as she breathed. Her posture seemed cold, perhaps even unfeeling, but there was a warmth in her eyes, an affectionate warmth with a hint of sadness. She looked up from the pair of parents before her and stared at the house once more.

“Prince Gosling,” the taller stallion asked, “I mean no disrespect, but why are you here?”

“Intelligence,” Luna replied, as if that explained everything. “Asset recovery.”

“Asset recovery?” The smaller stallion sounded worried.

“Be ye not afraid, mine subjects.” Luna extended one wing, and with a soft touch, she caressed the cheek of the smaller stallion. “Thou hast a mother’s worry.”

The smaller stallion blushed so hard that steam could be seen rising from his face into the freezing air. “We went through so much trouble for adoption… we had to find just the right foal, she had to be perfect, she had to fit our lifestyle and be comfortable—”

“Be still.” Luna’s voice was calming, almost hypnotic. She turned to look at the pegasus beside her. “Ready yourself, Gosling, We must move, while there is still time.”

“Oh, I’m ready all right,” Gosling muttered. “Go with Luna, Celestia said, get out of the castle for a while, go and visit a spooky house, it’ll be good fun—”

“Gosling, darling,” Luna’s voice was patient, but her stare was flinty.

“Look…” Gosling blinked a few times, unsure of what to say, and he looked into the eyes of the smaller stallion.

“Ma’am?” the petite stallion said, offering up a little help.

“Yeah.” Gosling nodded. “Look, Ma’am, everything is gonna be fine. You should see if you can find shelter with a neighbor. It’s below zero out here. You shouldn’t worry, it causes wrinkles, and your face is entirely too pretty for wrinkles to set in at your age.”

The smaller stallion leaned against the taller beside him and let out a faint nervous giggle. “Thank you, you are very kind.”

Lifting his head, Gosling looked up at the house. “I know. Luna, let’s do this. It’s cold enough to freeze the balls right off of the Hearth’s Warming tree.” Hearing laughter, Gosling seemed pleased with himself and he nudged Luna with his wing. “This is why you brought me, ain’t it? To make them feel better? I don’t actually need to go in there, right?”

Rolling her eyes, Princess Luna did not reply.


Standing on the steps, Gosling could feel himself sweating as he looked up. He had never dealt with horror very well. He wasn’t good with the whole stress thing. Luna was also looking up, her eyes were wide and curious. Freezing, sweating, he leaned against Luna, glad to feel her warmth.

“What are we dealing with exactly?” he asked.

“This little filly can pull nightmares into reality,” Luna replied.

“And we’re just dealing with this now?”

“Oh, I have watched this for a while now.”

“And nothing was done?”

“Before this point, nothing needed to be done.” Luna’s ears perked as a shrill scream could be heard. “I did not expect for her magic to develop as quickly as it has. This is unexpected. Up to this point, I could send out my guards to deal with the occasional nightmare creature that slipped out into the waking world.”

“So what is going on here?” Gosling asked.

“The barrier between the waking world and the realm of dreams has grown thin. A rift has formed. And the contents of the realm of dreams have come spilling out.”

“This looks like a nightmare.”

“Fear is caused by things we don’t understand or things we can’t control. This poor filly is suffering from both. This is her terror.” Luna took a step closer to the ornate front door trimmed in fine brass. “To me, Gosling.”

Ears drooping, the dutiful pegasus followed along after his princess as she entered the house.


Nothing in the house seemed quite right. Every angle was off or wrong. The stairs seemed too lopsided, the rail appeared to be distorted, and no light could be seen in the space above the stairs. The house was dark, none of the electricity seemed to be working, and Gosling was already having to struggle to keep his teeth from chattering. It wasn’t just from the cold, either.

It was cold though. He could see his breath. The end of his snoot was slick with half frozen snot and glazed over with condensed moisture from his heavy breathing. This was awful, ponies could die from fear, and Gosling could feel his heart already pounding in his chest like some great un-oiled steam engine. Without meaning to do so, he began whimpering like a kicked dog.

“Pull yourself together,” Luna commanded. Her words were harsh but the touch of her wing upon Gosling’s neck was gentle. “Somewhere, upstairs, there is a scared little filly. We must make our way to her.”

“Alright.” Looking up at the darkness above him, Gosling put one hoof on the stairs. “If I scream like a little filly, I’m sorry.”

“You are one of the bravest ponies I know,” Luna said, her voice a mere whisper.

“Now you’re just trying to make me feel better.”

“Thou art mine friend, even when I make it most difficult for you.”

Her words gave him the courage he needed. He began to make his way up the stairs, heading towards the cold darkness that swirled above him. When his nose touched it, he realised that the dark had a physical presence to it, it had substance, it was thick, and it was freezing. He felt Luna’s soft touch upon his backside, right on his cutie mark, and he somehow kept going.

“Elemental darkness has leaked out. This isn’t from the dream realm,” Luna said as she followed after Gosling. “This is unexpected. We’ll be fine though, just keep going. There is a little scared filly in need of rescue. Think of her. You will be a father soon.”

Stomach muscles clenching in a most painful way, Gosling wasn’t sure if he could keep going. Something about the darkness around him sapped his strength, his willpower, it drained him and left him fatigued. Ice dusted his wings and little droplets of liquid fear formed tiny diamonds upon his long, curved eyelashes. All he had to do was keep going up the stairs, but these stairs seemed far too long. With the dream realm leaking into the physical world, a bunch of stuff was probably happening that Gosling couldn’t possibly understand.

At long last, Gosling made it to the top of the stairs. He needed a breather. His ears were hurting him and he was feeling quite nauseous. He knew the signs, he knew the symptoms, and this made him even more afraid. It was dark, so very dark, and there was no light. He was completely blind at the moment.

“Luna?”

There was no reply.

“Luna, don’t mess around.”

Still no reply.

Cowering, Gosling leaned up against the wall and gibbered when he realised that he was alone in the darkness with who knows what around him. He fought to control his breathing and he made a few cautious steps as he tried to find the stairs in the dark. Much to his alarm and panic, there didn’t seem to be any stairs behind him. There was no way out.

The darkness had swallowed Luna and left him all alone. Unable to see, unable to find the stairs, unable to cope, Gosling began to cry. Great choking sobs wracked his body and he wished that his mother was here to comfort him. He pressed against the wall, his legs stiff, and he bawled his eyes out as he fought the urge to throw up.

Luna would never leave him alone like this as a prank. She was his friend. He trusted her. She trusted him. They had reached an understanding of sorts. Which meant that something dreadful had happened to Luna. He knew about the darkness in Luna’s heart, perhaps it was a weakness here, a liability that she did not take into account. Now, she was gone, devoured by the darkness. He was all alone in this nightmare house with no means of retreating, no way to get help.

And somewhere, above him, there was a filly still in need of rescue.

His knees buckled and Gosling hit the floor with a thud. He covered his face with his forelegs, screamed once for help, and then realised the futility of it all. Nopony could hear him. He was just another scream now, one of many that could be heard outside. Shivering, he recalled that he had heard them as he entered.

Extending his wings, he felt around him, and found that he was in the hall that had been above the stairs. He wasn’t sure where the hallway was right now. The darkness had distorted things, twisted things, and nothing was the way it should be. But he could feel the walls on either side of him. Crawling on his belly, he made his way forwards, sliding over the floor. He felt weak and his body felt heavy in a most unnatural way.

Tears rolled down his cheeks but did not hit the floor, as they froze before reaching his jaw. The cold was a ravenous thing, it was devouring his strength and making it difficult to do anything. It had to be a magical cold, because as a pegasus, Gosling had a little natural cold resistance, but not as much as some.

In the darkness ahead, he heard things. Something scuttled over the floor. In the omnipresent darkness, something chittered. Gosling screamed again, this time with so much force that something in his throat strained. Pain, raw, hot, and throbbing, lodged itself in his throat like a bite of food that refused to be swallowed.

The fear made his eyes squeeze shut, which was fine, he didn’t need them at the moment. It was too dark. Somehow, he kept going, pulling himself over the floor, dragging himself along, feeling his way forward with his wings as he sobbed. In the back of his mind, he kept thinking about how ponies could die from fear. How close was he to death? It felt as though his heart was in real danger of exploding.

Overwhelmed, he couldn’t keep going, and he curled up into the fetal position. He lay in the dark, listening as things scurried around him, and his wet, raspy cries were muffled in the soupy darkness that had swallowed him. He didn’t know how he could keep going. He pressed his cheek into the wooden floor, it was cold, like sheet-ice, and damp from his tears.

Hot bile bubbled up in this throat and the ache in his ears became almost unbearable. He screamed again, which trailed off into something that was almost a yelp of pain. A little voice in the back of his mind suggested that if he was going to die of fear, then he would be dead already. Gosling found it even more terrifying that he might live—this was the sort of fear that could drive a pony mad.

If he wasn’t going to die, he had to keep going. Hooves clattering on the wooden floor, he struggled to get up. Almost upright, one of his front hooves slipped on the puddle of near frozen drool and tears. He pitched forwards and went straight back down. With a heavy thud, he smashed face first into the floor, and the impact was enough to split his lip wide open.

At least he had light now. Motes of multicoloured lights swam in his blurry vision and he could taste the coppery, salty flavour of blood in his mouth. As they sometimes did during his moments of distress and trouble, his alicorns returned.

A glowing little blue Luna circled around his head, looking worried, but saying nothing. beside her, a teeny, tiny Celestia flew, glowing like a tiny sun. Like Luna, Celestia said nothing, but she was smiling. Twilight flew a few laps around his head, but then broke off and flew ahead, as if urging him to continue down the hallway.

“On your hooves, Soldier!” Cadance’s commanding voice was irresistible.

The need to obey was something that had been drummed into Gosling’s head. He fought to regain his hooves, grunting, still sobbing, he had been given an order by an alicorn and he was compelled to obey at any cost. Like a newborn foal, Gosling made it to his hooves and stood there, wobbling. One by one, the lights went out, the spots in his vision vanished, and the alicorns circling his head poofed out of existence one at a time. Before she vanished, Cadance saluted him.

Gibbering with fear, Gosling made his way forwards, his split lip dribbling blood down his chin. The taste of blood nauseated him, made him feel sick, and this, along with everything else, made him fearful that he would throw up at any second. Wings extended, primaries spread, he was able to feel his way forwards.

Something slithered over Gosling’s foreleg and he stopped. He tried to remember what Luna had told him about dreams and drew a blank. Closing his eyes once more, he crept forwards, crying, and now gagging from the taste of his own blood.

After a walk that felt like miles, Gosling found more stairs.


There was light ahead, at the top of the stairs, a faint light, but it was not a good light. Something about it terrified Gosling. It was not a natural light at all. Dragging his hooves, he made his way up the stairs, his body heavy, sluggish, and succumbing to the cold.

With caution, he poked his head up above the floor level and had a look around. He was in a filly’s room, he could tell. The entire top floor had been turned into one big bedroom for her. She was loved, she was treasured, she was a dear and precious thing to her parents. Squinting, Gosling peered around, and then wished that he hadn’t.

In the darkness, he saw her, glowing with a dreadful blackish-purple light. He felt his heart stop beating for a moment as he looked upon the sum of all of his fears as both a friend and a husband. All of Celestia’s fears as well. She was going to be crushed by this. Gulping, Gosling peered into the luminescent slitted eyes that stared back at him in the darkness.

Nightmare Moon.

Unable to talk, unable to move, unable to react, an overwhelming feeling of despair overtook Gosling as he felt a sense of loss like no other. His mouth and his throat went dry. It became difficult, almost impossible, to breathe. He loved Luna, even if she was confusing and their relationship was still something he was trying to puzzle out.

“I couldn’t stop it.”

Ears perking, Gosling stared, hardly breathing as blood dribbled down his chin. That was not something he expected Nightmare Moon to say. She sounded sad, scared even, and Gosling began to wonder if perhaps Luna was in there, battling for her very existence. He had to help her. Grunting, he pulled his body up the rest of the stairs and then stood there, ready to be blasted into oblivion. She was… his friend, more than anything else. If he couldn’t save her, then he would die with her.

Pegasi were loyal, if perhaps a little air headed and stupid.

“I couldn’t make it stop,” Nightmare Moon said, repeating herself.

“You can still make this stop.” Gosling’s voice sounded like dry, crinkled newspapers being rubbed together. “You can still make this stop. You’re loved. Don’t forget that.”

“No, I’ve been bad… I did bad, I keep doing bad things.” Nightmare Moon’s voice was almost a whine. It was shrill, a little squeaky, and had a nasal quality to it. “I keep doing bad things, it’s like wetting the bed, but worse.”

A little confused, Gosling took a step closer. “Those that love you don’t care. You are loved. Bad things can be forgiven. I love you.”

“You’re a stranger,” Nightmare Moon said. “How could you love me when you don’t know me?”

That stung a bit, but Gosling didn’t let it get him down. “Even if I don’t know you, or understand you, I still love you. I braved the darkness for you. I just want to help you. Let me make you feel better.”

Nightmare Moon blinked. She stood there, her wings fluttering at her sides, and her wide eyes shone with a terrible dark light. “I feel so guilty. I keep hurting others. Over and over, I keep hurting them. I can’t seem to stop. I keep scaring them.”

“Just come here. Let me make it better.” Gosling’s voice was pleading. “Let me give you a hug. Just a little hug. Let me remind you that you are loved.”

“I don’t know you.”

Ouch. Gosling ignored the pain in his heart. She was sick and she didn’t know any better. She needed compassion right now. She needed love and understanding. Luna had to be in there somewhere, fighting, because Nightmare Moon wasn’t busy bringing about eternal night. The darkness was confined to the house, at least for now, and being the good soldier that he was, Gosling knew that he had an obligation to protect both Luna and Canterlot. Somehow, he either had to keep the darkness contained or he had to drive it away.

“Why wouldn’t somepony love you?” Gosling asked.

“Because I keep doing bad things,” Nightmare Moon replied.

Clearing his throat, Gosling wished that he had some water. “That’s no reason to stop loving somepony. Sometimes accidents happen. We all make mistakes. Have you been punished for the mistakes you’ve made?”

“Yes!” Nightmare Moon’s reply was a shrill cry of anguish.

“I’m sorry.”

“My parents stopped loving me. They sent me away!”

Tears welled up in Gosling’s eyes. There was something he hadn’t known about Luna. His knees knocked together as his legs wobbled. He was still terrified, he was still scared out of his mind. He didn’t know what to do here. He felt powerless. But he had to try. He had to keep going.

“You have a family that loves you. Think about it. Who comforts you when you are sad? Who makes you feel better when you are scared? Who always sticks around, even if you are a little scary sometimes?” His teeth began to chatter with cold and fear as he made himself look into Nightmare Moon’s eyes.

“You’re right,” Nightmare Moon said. “They’re not going to abandon me like my parents. They love me…” Her halting, somewhat hitching voice trailed off into nothingness.

Confusion clouded Gosling’s mind as his torn lip throbbed with enough force to make his whole face ache. He couldn’t feel his wings anymore, or his dock. A life threatening numbness was creeping through his body. “To be a family, all you need to do is love them back. Stop hiding. Stop being afraid of being hurt. You have to let yourself be loved. Don’t shy away.”

“Okay.” Nightmare Moon’s voice was a fearful squeak.

“Let me hug you,” Gosling said as he extended his wings. Several of his feathers fell out and floated down to the floor. The magical cold was sapping him, stealing his life away, it was eating him. He stumbled forwards towards Nightmare Moon, dead set on making her feel better. Making her feel loved.

One of his frogs had frozen to the floor and when he started forwards, a layer of skin peeled away. He choked back a cry when he felt the tugging on his leg, stumbled, and flapped his wings. He recovered somehow, his near frozen joints creaking. As he moved forwards, he left behind frozen, bloodied hoofprints.

“I’d like that… I’m so cold…” Nightmare Moon’s voice was soft and a little raspy.

Wings out, Gosling drew her in. Her body was like ice against him, and he had no doubt that he was almost frozen solid as well. More of his feathers fell out, and they drifted down to the floor in slow, lazy circles. He held her and gave her a squeeze. As he did so, he felt a hint of warmth, it was like standing near a candle. Just a tiny hint of warmth.

“Never doubt for a minute that you are loved,” he whispered.

After the words left his mouth, a whole lot of things happened all at once...


Nightmare Moon vanished and became a much smaller filly. Gosling no longer had anypony to lean against, so he pitched over. He let out a cry of panic, fearing he might crush the filly that had suddenly appeared in his embrace. There was a loud, pained cry and Princess Luna manifested, then crashed down to the floor. As Luna appeared, the darkness and much of the cold vanished.

Violent shivering wracked Gosling’s body as he hugged the filly to him. She was shivering too and about half frozen. The little unicorn filly had her eyes closed and she pressed her face into Gosling’s neck. She sobbed, her whole body shook, and her stubby legs locked tight around Gosling. He wrapped his wings around her, trying to warm her, and with what little strength he had left, he looked at Luna.

She looked shaken.

“What happened?” Gosling managed to ask in a voice creaky with pain and fatigue.

“A darkness elemental,” Luna replied, “like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I was powerless against it, it swallowed me up and started feeding off of me, just like it was feeding off of her.”

“Well, you stopped it somehow.” Gosling couldn’t feel any of his extremities at the moment, but that didn’t matter. Luna was okay. He was real happy to see her again too. Squeezing the filly in his embrace, he though about kissing her, but his lip was a shredded mess.

“I didn’t stop it,” Luna said.

“Then who did?” Gosling asked.

You did.” Luna’s voice was low and soft. “You thought that she was me.”

That was true. Gosling had thought that Luna had once more become Nightmare Moon. His brain ached as he struggled to think and make sense of this. He had been trying to reach Luna, trying to beat back the nightmare with love. His ears drooped, but he couldn’t feel them as they fell.

“You killed the darkness elemental,” Luna whispered in awe.

“How?” Gosling asked, unbelieving.

Wings flapping, Luna crawled across the floor to be with Gosling, and when she reached him, she pulled both him and the filly close. “It had us both… it was feeding on us. Drinking our despair. Feeding on our fear. It kept telling me that you would run from me, that you were afraid of me, that you would never love me.”

“I heard the same thing when I was dreaming,” the filly said, her words muffled against Gosling’s neck. “It told me that my new parents would stop loving me.”

“Both of you are in such a bad state… Gosling… you’re covered in frostbite… it’s bad… Your wings… they froze...”

Closing his eyes, Gosling leaned into Luna’s embrace. It was over. The nightmare was over. He felt Luna squeezing him and that made everything better somehow. The little filly was weeping against his neck and he couldn’t even feel the warmth of her tears. His neck felt dead.

“I’ve summoned help. Try not to move. Now that the spell is broken, the house can be entered. Just hang on, both of you. I have you both. We have each other.” Tears rolled down Luna’s cheeks as she pressed her muzzle against the base of Gosling’s ear. “Thank you, Gosling.”

Below them, the sounds of heavy hooves could be heard upon the wooden floorboards, and the jingle-jangle of heavy armor was somehow reassuring. Luna, weeping, held the two ponies in her embrace, trying to warm them, and she kept her muzzle pressed against Gosling.


Epilogue.


Wrapped in a cocoon of blankets, Gosling struggled to stay in the waking world. He couldn’t feel most of his body, he felt real drowsy and sluggish. He was still holding the filly he had rescued, and she was cocooned in the blankets with him. She was a little more alert than he was.

“I never did get your name,” Gosling said in a weak voice.

“My name is Moon Rose.”

“Moonrise?” Gosling forced his eyes open and looked at the little filly, needing to see her, needing to make sure that she was still okay. He felt his body being lifted and moved.

“No, Moon Rose.” The little filly let out a whimper. “I want my daddies.”

“We have to get patched up. We’re a mess.”

“One of them is my mommy.”

“Oh?”

“I get confused sometimes and I forget. I always worry that he’ll be angry with me.”

“You have a pretty mommy,” Gosling mumbled, “I met her. Him. Very nice mommy.”

All around him, Gosling could hear the muffled sound of voices. He also heard crying. A very muddled part of his brain knew that two very concerned parents wanted to see their foal. Their filly. He was going to be a parent. The thought was soothing. His mind drifted, edging closer to a comforting darkness. He was going to be a daddy. Celestia was going to be a mommy. And Luna… Luna was going to be an auntie.

Luna, who just needed to be loved.

Drifting away, Gosling was glad to have Moon Rose snuggled up against him. He needed daddy practice. After this night, scary things in the closet or unspeakable horrors beneath the bed wouldn’t be such a big deal. He could handle it, he had proven that to himself. In doing so, he had also proven his intentions to Luna. He felt good about it. Now, he was just glad that it was over. He yawned, and was thankful to get a well deserved rest.

Author's Note:

Sorry, that's all there is. I do hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to discuss in the comment section below.

This is all part of a much larger collection of stories. Thank you, so very much for offering some of your time to read this. I hope I entertained you.

Comments ( 45 )

Had this on loop in the backround added a nice element to the scene

You made me go check PRS to see if you'd compleated it when I wasn't looking. :pinkiecrazy:

Very nice. Very nice indeed. While this is part of the Weedverse, perhaps you could set a story/folder aside for these little side storylets. On another note, I would have been willing to wait until Samhain for this. :twilightsmile:

But this is no ordinary darkness.

This isn't your average everyday darkness...

This is... advanced darkness.

Very nice! I can bet that Luna and gosling will be getting into all sorts of trouble in the future.

would work well in tpros. Luna doesn't really trust Goss or herself . He just put it all on the line for what he thought was her. something she did not expect.

7598015

Prepare magic missile...

*le crie*
Dammit dude.
Why is everything you write perfect?
Keep up the good work, dude.
:V loving your experimentation with horror stories. Ever thought about going back to 'To Dance in Shadow?'

That ending was very sweet! :twilightsmile: I was wondering why an E-rated story had the horror tag, and now I know. However, you might want to add some other tags so people aren't driven away.

7598474 Ok then. Are you sure that combination isn't misleading, though?

7598520

The story is both dark and has horror elements. That seems accurate.

7598160 heh. Now I have to you tube that skit. Ben a while.

This was very well done in making me fear for Gosling. His love for his alicorns keeps getting him hurt and for a bit I thought he might be more seriously injured.

Now though I am truly looking forward to his date with Luna.

A one-shot, one-chapter story by Kudz??

pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw4099_medium.jpg

Still, very nicely written, and even though I didn't follow the Gosling story at all, I was quite impressed with how the charcter was portrayed in this story.

This is what can happen if you botch while using Obtenebration!

How could you do this to the most Beautiful, Pretty Pegasus in all of creation? You caused him to molt feathers! He wont be able to go out in public for days now!

7599736

Oh. yeah. I'm sure he'll be completely distraught. *eye roll* He'll be so distraught as he's pampered and fussed over by Celestia for being so brave and getting wounded doing such a noble thing. I'm pretty sure that Luna might even bring him a hot chocolate or something.

:raritywink:

Kudzu - very nice piece here. Short and to the point. I think both Luna and Gosling learned something about each other and themselves through all of this.

7600045

Actually, Luna goes through the trouble to learn how to knit and she makes him a very ugly sweater to keep warm in after most of his feathers fall out and he's left with huge bald patches on his pelt.

The Perilous Gestation of Swans will pick up where this story finishes off.

7600068

I really hope that's foreshadowing with regards to the sweater. That's hilarious.

(Fluttershy knits, I'm sure she'd be willing to teach...)

“This little filly can pull nightmares into reality,” Luna replied.

Man, of all the special talents to get.

As before, mini-Twilight is my favorite. A princess of action.

Pegasi were loyal, if perhaps a little air headed and stupid.

Heh.

INB4 it's actually the filly and not Luna.

Yeah, I thought so.

Good job, Gosling.

Comment posted by sadfox deleted Sep 29th, 2016

Yee-ikes. :rainbowderp:
Where'd this come from, then? :rainbowhuh:
And why did you choose to make it a seperate story, out of interest? :derpyderp1:

7600068
Ugly sweaters are the best when sick. You don't have to worry about keeping them neat and pretty. Just so long as they keep you warm, that is all that matters.

Read the scary horror story you said. Its a good story you said. :fluttercry:

Well damnit you were right :yay:

Honestly though, Light-horror tag required, neigh (:ajbemused:) demanded.

Well, guess I have now read through the entire weed-verse that is available.

Awesome job Kudzu, awesome job :moustache:

As usual, a very amazing piece of literature springs forth from the desk of Kudzuhaiku.

Though the title made me think of this song fairly heavily...

You know I'm not normally into Horror, but this was different. I actually really enjoyed this story! <3

This is a great one-shot that illustrates the growth of friendship between Gosling and Luna, with the seeds planted to grow into something more, as I'm hoping we'll see in The Perilous Gestations of Swans. While horror is not generally a genre I favor, I enjoyed this read very much for the focus on atmosphere and emotion. :twilightsmile:

Given the setting, plot, and overall thematic feel, I could not help but hear this old gem playing as I read: :raritywink:

Done as you suggested, yet surprised that I missed this one. Unfortunately, while very well written, I'm not sure this succeeds as a horror story. There was just no tension. Only three ponies were in the house, a stranger and two protagonists who would no doubt make it out.
The parallels between Luna's sorrow and the filly was a nice touch. I can only imagine the suggestion to read this chapter is because Moon Rose will play a significant role, that or Gosling's latest injures were more series than he thought.

Was that hearthfire that saved the day there or is that just Flurry's thing?

Well this is another story which made me think, and I like that. I like this story a lot. To my knowledge this is the first time a Darkness Elemental has been mentioned in the Weedverse. Plus this Elemental was able to trap Luna and feed off her, Moon Rose, and Gosling. That is disturbing news as the implications for this type of magic can be severe if Moon Rose is not taught how to use her powers. On that note, presumably, in The Perilous Gestation of Swans Moon Rose is going to be a part of the story and will be taught how to use her powers for good. It would seem to me that Rose will have confidence and image issues where she will not want to use her powers because she might hurt other ponies whom will then label her as a monster.

Additionally, seeing as The Perilous Romance of Swans picks up immediately after this story I am curious to see what what role young Rose shall play.

“Look…” Gosling blinked a few times, unsure of what to say, and he looked into the eyes of the smaller stallion.
“Ma’am?” the petite stallion said, offering up a little help.
“Yeah.” Gosling nodded. “Look, Ma’am, everything is gonna be fine. You should see if you can find shelter with a neighbor. It’s below zero out here. You shouldn’t worry, it causes wrinkles, and your face is entirely too pretty for wrinkles to set in at your age.”

Really? It's a stallion. Sir is the proper pronoun. Dont pause to check when it's blatantly obvious. There are only 3 genders. Male, female, and RETARDED.

8024234

And you must be retarded, correct?

These five sexes include male, female, hermaphrodite, female pseudohermaphrodites (individuals who have ovaries and some male genitalia but lack testes), and male pseudohermaphrodites (individuals who have testes and some female genitalia but lack ovaries). Fausto-Sterling additionally adds that in the category of hermaphrodites, there are additional degrees and levels in which the genitalia are developed; this means that there may be more intersexes that exist in this continuum of gender.

And these are just the commonly accepted five that science recognises, but there is between 30 to 50 shades of gender and chromosomal arrangements that science is debating right now. Plus brain chemistry, which we are only just beginning to understand.

So please, don't stink up my comments sections with ignorance. Thank you.

Comment posted by wildlander84 deleted Mar 15th, 2017
Xzrea #37 · Mar 25th, 2017 · · 11 ·

8024266
Gender is defined by having or not having an Y - chromosome in one's genome. And this is a fact.
Various aberrations like ones you mentioned are mostly caused by mutations and/or hormonal imbalance. So, I wouldn't say "retarded", but still definitely abnormal.

Aside all this "sexes and minorities" chit-chat, thanks for a good story.

It may be my lack of attention to detail, but I was completely blindsided by the second-to-last paragraph

8049757

The biological gender binary is not in question here ... what is is the gender identity of the individual, which is more mental, spiritual, and PERSONAL. And before someone on this comments board gets huffy and starts a political or religious debate over the depiction of this ideology in a story about fictional technicolor ponies in a world of magic ... remind yourself that we as a species STILL argue over what fictitious all-knowing sky-god we should pray to, and what code of ethics and morals that are from bygone eras we should adhere to.

8144363
As far as I remember, human is born with one of 2 biological genders, and that's over. And "gender identities" are, I agree, "mental, spiritual, and PERSONAL". Except the question whether that's a pathology or "perfectly normal" is pretty much still on debate. And my opinion is that's a first case here.

I'm guessing the parent referred to as "Ma'am" is transgender? That's neat. Though mostly I'm wondering what reason Gosling had to hesitate. Unless it's just a normal thing in pony society. Fair enough.

This was a surprisingly heartfelt story, and one that wasn't nearly as horrifying as I expected it to be.

8201495

He hesitated because he was trying to be diplomatic and polite. He chose his words carefully.

8201513

I can respect that, it's just... I'm trying to think of how to phrase this. What did Gosling see or notice to suggest that extra diplomacy was necessary? I wouldn't think that it would be a standard question for most same-sex marriages, is all.

This was nice. The atmosphere of the Nightmare zone is really chilling. And its nice to see more of Woona and Goose interacting

such a sweet story and one hell of a lead in to the main story.

Login or register to comment