• Published 1st Dec 2011
  • 33,439 Views, 1,861 Comments

The Games We Play - AbsoluteAnonymous



Somepony is once again masquerading as Mare Do Well, and it's up to Rainbow Dash to figure out who.

  • ...
59
 1,861
 33,439

Chapter 15: Upon Waking

Rainbow Dash running. Mare Do Well watching her go.

• • •

A lot of things happened the next day, and Rainbow Dash saw them as discrete fragments instead of parts of a continuous whole. Things came to her as disconnected snapshots – as muddled vignettes, interspersed with unwanted flashes of recollection, all of it regarding what had happened the night before.

But she shoved these memories aside, forcing them into the darkest recesses of her mind and instead focusing on the present, as Dash was naturally inclined to do.

Always the now. Never the before or the later.

If Rainbow Dash's thoughts ever began to stray, she'd find herself thinking about something she definitely didn't want to think about, like –

Two ponies, cuddled together on the ground, forelegs wrapped around each other.

And at that point, Rainbow would cut herself off, either with a sharp internal reproach or a smack of her own hoof against her temple in order to snap herself out of it.

There were plenty of other things to do, anyway, so keeping herself too busy to think wasn't actually that hard for Rainbow Dash.

The six of them were going to leave for Canterlot the next day, and preparations had to be made. Since Rainbow Dash couldn't actually reach her house at the moment, Fluttershy did her the kindness of offering to pack for her, and Rainbow accepted. Her wings were still bound, after all, and even though she was pretty sure that she was ready to have the bandages removed, they would've been too weak to fly right away.

While everypony else was busy finalizing their packing, Rainbow Dash was on the zip line, testing it out and pushing it to the limit in every way she knew how. It was strange, but the restriction of the line somehow seemed to simultaneously give her more and less freedom than if she were flying normally. Being on a line meant she couldn't control the way she flew down, meaning both that she didn't have to worry about movement, and also that she couldn't stop or change direction if she wanted to. It felt fantastic and terrifying all at once; just falling, having to trust that she wouldn't die without actually having any guarantee that it was true.

And she didn't think about how hilarious it would've been if somepony scared of heights had been there so that Dash could've forced her to go too. Not even once.



A pony jolting upright, suddenly awake and shoving the other away.

"No!" she screams. "No! Let go of me!"

The other pony is confused, and sits up, bleary-eyed.

"Huh?" she begins. "But you..."

"No!"

"Why did you push me away?" the pony asks, sounding feeble, even to her own ears. "You were holding me."

"I shouldn't have done that – !"



Around noon, Rainbow Dash made her way to her bush to take a nap, burrowing her way into the leaves and snow the way she was now accustomed to doing and ignoring the curious stares of the crowd. She didn't at all remember how it felt to be lying so close against somepony that you could feel their heartbeat, and the thought that she might have missed that kind of intimacy didn't cross her mind at any point.

And when Dash found her dreams haunted by a shadow, a shadow that drew closer and closer only to yank back and leave her breathless, she didn't think twice about it, because she knew that it didn't necessarily have to mean anything in particular after all. Sometimes dreams were only dreams, and nothing more.

Her nap wasn't especially restful that day. The bush left Rainbow Dash wanting for something. Something she couldn't put a name to.

When Derpy later shoved her gray head into the bush with an envelope addressed to Dash in her mouth, Rainbow took it with a grunt and waited for the mailmare to leave before tearing it open. There was no note; just the silver ticket from last night, which Rainbow Dash had somehow managed to completely forget about. Any excitement that she might have felt at getting to see the Wonderbolts live had waned.

Rainbow Dash would still go, of course. That wasn't the kind of opportunity one could just pass up. But it had dulled a little, maybe – overshadowed by the odd hollowness she now felt.



"I can't do this. I can't. I thought I could, but... why did I do that? You're just going to leave! I can't take that!"

"I'm, I'm not going to leave –"

"You say that now, but I know you! You're going to leave, you always do! You're going to run away, and then I'll be all alone again!"



That evening, they were all supposed to meet at Carousel Boutique in order to receive the surprise that Rarity had promised them. For once, Rainbow Dash was actually early; they were supposed to go once they'd finished packing, and since she didn't actually have any packing to do, there was nothing for her to procrastinate with. Rainbow couldn't really bring herself to care about whatever the surprise was supposed to be anymore, but she'd promised to be there, and she refused to let herself drift away so much that she'd let a friend down like that.

Gradually the others trailed in. First Fluttershy, then Pinkie Pie, both of them eager to be early – Fluttershy because Rarity was her best friend, and Pinkie because she probably suspected that the surprise would somehow be party related. Afterwards, Applejack and Twilight entered together, both of them perfectly on-the-dot punctual.

Rarity herself was the last to appear, busy doing something secretive in her back room while the rest of them clustered together outside the door to chat. Rainbow alone didn't join in the conversation, but nopony seemed to notice how listless she was acting – except for possibly Applejack, who gave her a funny look, but said nothing.

Pinkie's kiss had tasted of something indescribably sweet. In that vaguely sort of thoughtful way, Rainbow Dash wondered whether everypony tasted the same when they kissed, or whether each pony had a distinct flavor.

The only other time Rainbow had ever kissed anypony she wasn't just fooling around with had been that one night at flight camp. When she and Gilda hadn't been able to sleep, and Gilda had suggested messing around – just to try it out, she'd said. Just an experiment. An experiment that Dash now regretted, especially since the griffon had brought it up first thing when she'd later cornered Rainbow Dash to pressure her to chose between her and Rainbow's new friends in Ponyville.

Twilight was standing closest to her at the moment, and Dash briefly contemplated testing her theory about kisses when Rarity interrupted her train of thought by finally making her appearance.

"Now, girls!" Rarity announced grandly, sweeping into the room and causing the other five to look up in perfectly synchronized surprise. "Sorry to keep you all waiting; I just had a few more touch-ups to do, but it's finally absolutely, one hundred percent perfect! I'm so glad you were all able to make it. I simply cannot wait any longer, or I think I may burst!"

"Can you just get to the point, then?" Applejack interrupted curtly, earning an annoyed glance from the unicorn.

But Rarity only smiled sweetly, saying, "Of course, Applejack," before continuing, "Now, as you all know, our Twilight Sparkle has finally received our official invitations to the holiday party the palace is hosting, and –"

"She did?" Rainbow Dash interrupted, mind racing to remember if at any point in the past week or so the purple unicorn had given her anything remotely resembling an invitation to the palace.

Twilight magically whipped the six shining invitations out of nowhere, fanning them before Dash's eyes and causing the pegasus to flinch. "Right here," she said proudly.

"Uh, yeah, silly!" Pinkie Pie giggled. "Have you just been dozing all week? She got them yesterday, don't you remember?"



"Just go!" Mare Do Well shouted, and although the mask hid her face from the rest of the world, she still covered it with her hooves, like she couldn't handle seeing anypony right then. "Go! You're going to leave anyway, just go!"

"I'm not going to leave!" Rainbow Dash protested, and she didn't know why she felt so desperate to convince the mare. She had never wanted to stay with Mare Do Well before, but right then and there, nothing felt more important than her need to convince Mare Do Well that she wasn't going to abandon her.

"Why did I do this?" she wailed, ignoring Rainbow Dash entirely. "Why? This was wrong, this is all really bad! I don't want to!"

"Huh? Don't want to what?"

"You're going to leave!" Mare Do Well shouted, again ignoring Rainbow Dash. Her voice was cracking, coming dangerously close to slipping out of the voice she affected, but it never actually did. "Everypony does in the end! You'll leave and I'll be all alone, and if you actually come back later you'll just pretend that this never happened, that it didn't mean anything, and I'll have to play along like I don't care either, but I do! I can't just pretend this didn't matter, Rainbow Dash!"

This mattered, Rainbow Dash wanted to say. It mattered a lot. I don't want to leave.

The words were right there on the tip of her tongue, and it would've been so easy to speak them, but she didn't. She just couldn't. Although the reassurance was right there, primed to spill out of her, something was blocking her voice, and nothing came from her mouth but silence.



She'd spent the previous day hiding from everypony, and then...

"No. Guess I forgot," Rainbow Dash said quickly.

"You've been a real loopy-doopy pony lately, Dashie," Pinkie said sweetly, apparently oblivious to the way her words were cutting.

"Okay, okay, whatever!" Dash loudly interrupted. "Let's drop it already!"

"Yes, let's," Rarity primly agreed. "As I was saying, now that Twilight has our official invitations, I've decided that it's time for me to finally reveal the project that I've been working on in secret lately. Brace yourselves – !"

With a dramatic burst of magic, she threw open the door behind her.

Inside was a row of blank white mannequins arranged to display the beautiful, floor-sweeping ball gowns they were decked out in, and the crowd Rarity had assembled released a collective gasp.

Dresses, Rainbow Dash thought. I should've known.

The dresses Rarity had made them for the Grand Galloping Gala had been elaborate, luxurious displays of splendor and finery, but these pieces were more subdued, with softer shades and more humble, simplistic designs – better fitting the gracious solemnity that pervaded the Hearth's Warming season, despite the holiday's overall message of love and cheer.

Rainbow Dash wasn't a pony who knew a whole lot about dressmaking, and although she appreciated all the work that must've gone into making clothes like these in theory, in practice, it was hard for Dash to do much more than smile and look appreciative as she tried to remember everything the others had drilled into her about tact. Her friends, though, immediately took to cooing and fawning over their respective new dresses.

Rainbow didn't know any of the technical terms for the articles being passed under such careful inspection by their new owners, and could only observe the basics. For example, Twilight's dress was a gown of deep violet upon shades of even deeper violet, creating a strange layered effect. Rarity herself had an ensemble made of indigo and lined with silver, complete with a festive little mantle. Fluttershy had a dress of the softest rose, edged in white and trimmed with delicate little ribbons, further enhancing her already angelic appearance. Applejack's gown could in no way be mistaken for work duds, but was instead a simple, honest gown of deep forest green and pale gray. Pinkie had a deep scarlet and white affair; except for the ruffles, it was far calmer than the other formal gown she'd received from Rarity, but it was still undeniably Pinkie.

Rainbow Dash herself had a stormcloud of a gown. Her previous Rarity original had been an explosion of color. It had reportedly been based off the traditional garb of the ancient pegasi tribes, as depicted by classical mythology. This, though, was something new and brilliant, with blending shades of hard steel gray and teal and navy blue. Like an ocean, or a stormy sky at night.

"Wow, Dashie!" Pinkie said as Rainbow Dash stroked the fabric of the dress. "That dress is so pretty!"

"It's all right," Rainbow Dash said casually, not looking at Pinkie. "It could be cooler, though."

"What do you think of mine?"

Rainbow Dash looked at Pinkie, and her voice caught in her throat. She'd already changed into her dress.

"Wow," Dash finally managed to squeak. "You look great, Pinks."

Pinkie giggled and gave a little spin, sending her skirt twirling. "I can't wait!" the pink pony said happily. "Twilight said that the Princess said that Hearth's Warming parties at the palace aren't all fancy and hoity-toity like the Gala was, and since we didn't even get to go last time I was really worried since I didn't know what it would be like when we, you know? But I bet it'll be superiffic, and we'll go and dance and eat all the cake it'll be the bestest fun time ever!"

And then she skipped away, humming to herself.

In the past, Pinkie might've tried to force Dash into her dress, as well, to get the pegasus into the spirit of things, or maybe she would've grabbed Rainbow in a hug and rubbed their cheeks together and squealed about how they were going to have more fun than they'd ever had before ever and how it was going to be the best night ever, for real this time!

But she didn't do any of that for once. Instead, Pinkie Pie left Rainbow Dash alone, only stopping to chat under the pretense of being friendly when in reality she was growing more and more distant, pushing the pegasus even further away.

Liar, Dash thought bitterly. Pinkie had told her that they would go back to the way things were, but if things had really gone back to normal, then they wouldn't have been afraid to speak to each other. They wouldn't have been afraid to touch one another or be alone together. Pinkie would've hugged her. She would've lingered.

But Pinkie wasn't leaving now, either. Instead, Pinkie Pie was pushing Rainbow Dash away, making her be the one to decide it wasn't worth it and finally, in the end, give up.

And the worst part was, she was doing it so quietly. Pinkie wasn't lashing out with violent gestures or angry, hurt-filled words; she was lashing out by silently withdrawing those small affections that Rainbow Dash had grown to depend on and had never realized she needed until they were missing.

Rainbow drew a sharp breath, and let it out slowly.



"I love you," Mare Do Well said. "I love you and I don't want you to leave me. But you're going to run away, because that's what you do – that's what everypony does. So if you're going to leave, go now, while I can still keep myself together."

You don't look very together right now, Rainbow Dash wanted to retort. But her voice was still lost, and all she could do was rise unsteadily onto her legs.

When Rainbow Dash had woken up for the second time that morning, her vision had cleared only to find that she was tangled in Mare Do Well. A current had surged between them, through Rainbow Dash, tugging at her core; a pull so fierce that she hadn't wanted to fight it, had wanted to stay like that, bodies interlocked as their hearts had beat in time. Because Mare Do Well was close, so close, and although the air outside was cold, that wasn't what made Rainbow Dash tremble.

She hadn't wanted to go. She'd wanted to stay and throw herself at Mare Do Well, this insecure but affectionate and silly but tender mare, who probably had countless other facets to her personality that Rainbow Dash hadn't even begun to discover but desperately wanted to learn more about.

Maybe it had only been Rainbow's sleep-addled mind thinking such thoughts, thoughts that she'd likely regret once she was fully conscious, but all she could think was I don't love you, but maybe I can try, just for a little while.

But she hadn't said that, because Mare Do Well had told Dash to leave. What else could she have done but leave?

Rainbow Dash running. Mare Do Well watching her go.



Mare Do Well was in her, in her blood, invading every cell in her body. And Rainbow Dash didn't even know what the mare looked like, let alone her real name.

She was teetering on the brink of a precipice. One false step and she'd plunge into the abyss.

But Rainbow didn't care. About either of them. Pinkie Pie was crazy and so was Mare Do Well. Who knew why they did the things they did? Pinkie was random and Mare Do Well was unstable, so if they acted random and unstable, well, why had Rainbow Dash expected any different?

Mare Do Well... Mare Do Well was...

What was Mare Do Well?

She was so many things. She was funny – clever and sarcastic, if a little mean at times. She was lithe, her every movement imbued with a kind of grace that Rainbow Dash would never be able imitate, except maybe when among the clouds. She was both as strong as iron and impossibly fragile, unfazed by anything that the rest of the world could throw her way, yet easily broken by the slightest mistake. She was desperate and strange and helpless, and yet somehow had the power to completely disrupt Rainbow Dash's life in every way possible.

And Rainbow Dash didn't care, she had remind herself. About any of that. About them. About her.

"Rainbow Dash?" Applejack asked. "You okay?"

"Huh?" Rainbow asked, jerking her head upright. The farm pony's voice had been the trigger to yank her out of her stupor. She'd been practically asleep on her hooves, eyes closed as Dash meditated on her musings.

"Shucks, I can't blame you," Applejack chuckled, shaking her head. "They're all babblin' on an' on about those dresses. I almost feel like gettin' a bit o' shuteye myself – I can barely stay awake as it is."

"Heh. Yeah. Dresses. Boring."

"It's just all so pointless, y'know?" the farm pony continued, not seeming to notice the blatant disinterest in Rainbow's voice. "The dresses are nice an' all, an' I know Rare worked awful hard on 'em, but..." she trailed off.

"But what?" Rainbow Dash found herself asking.

"Well, it's just that... nothin's gonna change who I am, y'know? I'm a farmer from Ponyville, and even if I get dressed up all fancy and go to Canterlot and try an' pretend to be somepony else fer a night, I'll still be me on the inside. No matter what I do, I can't change who I really am, even if I try my darndest to hide it. So, what's the point?" Applejack sighed, then scowled. "It's all a game they're playin', a game you can't win, but I don't think Rare'll ever realize that. She's gonna try her darndest to do whatever it takes to fit into those li'l boxes they make – but she's bigger'n that, too big to fit, and she don't even know it. And the sad thing is, they'll never know it, neither, because they're all too busy tryin' to make everypony fit where they're supposed to fer them to ever see it."

Rainbow Dash was staring at her in rapt attention, eyes huge and free of any of the snark that they usually held when talking to Applejack, catching the earth pony off guard.

"Y'all right, sugarcube?" Applejack asked, a little nervously.

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash answered, her voice distant. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just... you were saying something that sounded important."

Rarity let them fondle their new dresses for a little while longer before sharply ordering them all out of the room so that she could put them into proper storage, refusing to let any of them even look at the gowns again until the night of the party itself.

"With the exception of maybe Twilight or Fluttershy, I doubt any of you could take proper care of them," the unicorn sniffed haughtily, and Rainbow Dash could offer no argument.

By the time the five friends finally left Carousel Boutique, it was sundown. On any other night Rainbow Dash might have been mentally preparing herself to go meet Mare Do Well, but tonight, whether the mare showed up or not, Rainbow had no desire to see her. Because she didn't care. Instead, she sought out Fluttershy.

"I don't wanna be all bandaged up in the play," Dash told the butter-yellow pegasus. "Can I crash at your place tonight and get them taken off?"

"Oh, I don't know," Fluttershy said nervously, eyeing the damaged wings. "It's hardly been long enough to –"

"They're fine!" Rainbow Dash interrupted. "They're great, I know they are, I always heal really quickly! All I gotta do is get them unwrapped and maybe stretch them for a bit and get back in the habit of flying, and then I'll be awesome! Please?"

"Well..."

"Please?"

Fluttershy frowned, squirming, and Rainbow Dash did her very, very best impersonation of Fluttershy's own Stare to try and compel her timid friend into agreeing. Finally Fluttershy squeaked a compliant squeak, prompting Rainbow Dash to cry out in delight and launch herself at her friend in a very Pinkie Pie-esque hug.

• • •

Back at Fluttershy's cottage, Fluttershy seemed to revert back into professional-business mode in contrast to her nervous, squeaking self of before, adamantly refusing to remove the bandages until she could properly examine Rainbow's wings and refusing to do that until they'd both had a good night's rest.

Fluttershy slept on the couch, using the power of her Stare to force Rainbow into bed against her will. It usually only truly worked on the animals in Fluttershy's care, but there was something so impressive about those huge aqua eyes that they truly were a force to be reckoned with, even amongst other ponies.

Fluttershy didn't sleep in her chicken coop, it turned out. Rather, she had a very nice, quaint little bedroom in the back of her cottage. From Fluttershy's bed, Rainbow Dash had a perfect view of the window, and by extension, of the Everfree Forest. Rainbow Dash had never understood how Fluttershy could live so close to Everfree when she was so frightened of everything in it, but knew better than to question her mostly meek and occasionally terrifying friend.

Rainbow Dash lay in bed and her thoughts flitted about like birds, quick both to flash through her mind and then to fly away, fleeting and practically insubstantial. At last she sighed, screwing her eyes shut and trying to force her brain to be quiet.

I need something to focus on, Dash finally thought. What could she think about that would take her mind off of other, less desirable topics?

Going to Canterlot. They were leaving tomorrow, but it didn't seem like they really were. The pageant just didn't feel important right then. It was the last thing on Rainbow's mind.

Seeing the Wonderbolts. But if she thought about that, then her mind would invariably drift to those aforementioned other, less desirable topics.

The holiday shindig at the palace. Rainbow Dash groaned. She wasn't like Applejack; she didn't openly despise formal occasions that involved dressing up. She was just... indifferent to them. They weren't fun, sure, but she didn't hate them, either – because she knew that someday, when she was famous, she'd probably have to go to a lot of them. It was good to get used to them young, so that Rainbow wasn't caught off guard by how stifling they could be later on.

The Grand Galloping Gala had been kind of awful. But Twilight said that Princess Celestia had promised that the Hearth's Warming thing they had every year was less stuffy – so even if Rainbow was bored out of her mind, then at least the others would probably have an okay time. That was good.

Dancing wasn't something Rainbow Dash especially enjoyed, so naturally, dances weren't something she especially enjoyed, either. But some ponies seemed to have a knack for it, for rhythm and music and movement. And if you knew somepony like that, then dancing would probably become fun. They would have to lead you through it, but if your partner was somepony who really knew what they were doing, then it would be easy to fake that you knew what you were doing, too. Maybe you didn't even necessarily have to have a partner who was good, though. Maybe you just needed to be dancing with the right partner.

Rainbow Dash pondered – again in that vague, nonspecific way – over how sometimes you could meet a pony whom you just seemed to fit with. Not in an emotional way or anything sappy like that, but literally. Physically. Your bodies just sort of interlocked, melding, like you were meant to hold each other, and it felt so, so good when you finally did.

If you knew a pony like that, dancing would probably become more enjoyable for both of you. Because dancing was pretty much just an excuse to hold somepony, and if you knew somepony you really fit with, then there would be none of that awkwardness or discomfort that came with forcing yourself on the wrong pony.

The clock in the corner was ticking, and Dash cast a glance at it. It was just past midnight, and the pegasus was wide awake, staring at the ceiling and gripping the blankets so hard that she was a little surprised they hadn't torn yet. A part of her wanted to go and wake up Fluttershy, but what would Fluttershy have to offer?

Comfort, Rainbow Dash thought. She's good at that.

She slipped out of bed.

Her hoofsteps seemed painfully loud in the silence of the cottage. Rainbow paused, forcing herself to be quiet. It was strange that Fluttershy's home could be so still when it was so full of living things – things that made noise and moved and rustled.

With a sigh, Rainbow Dash glanced out the window.

The forest looked especially ominous that night. The branches of the naked trees looked dark and skeletal, shadows dripping from them like cobwebs.

For a moment Rainbow Dash was still, eyes flickering as she searched the woods. What she was looking for, she didn't know. Or maybe she knew, but didn't want to acknowledge it.

Dash slumped, settling against the window sill as she looked out into the woods.

And then she saw it.

The rustling of tree branches, sending a shower of snow falling to the ground as they shook, trembling from the movement taking place amongst them.

It was either a bear, or – no.

There it was. A shape in black and violet, peering out from the woods towards the cottage. And maybe it was Rainbow Dash's imagination, but she could've sworn it waved when it saw her looking.

The pegasus wasted no time. Like a bolt of lightning she was gone, out of the house and galloping towards the edge of the forest, ignoring the terror that struck her heart as she drew closer to Everfree.

Rainbow Dash stopped, panting slightly for breath; running through such thick snow was difficult.

She'd paused at the base of a tree, for Mare Do Well had settled herself in at the top, perched on a branch as she glanced down at the pegasus.

"Hello," Mare Do Well said lightly.

"What are you doing?" Rainbow Dash blurted.

"Sitting in a tree."

"No, I mean, why did you come here? ...And why are you sitting in a tree if you're afraid of heights?" she added as an afterthought.

Mare Do Well didn't answer right away.

"I wanted to apologize," the mare said at last. "Because what I did was... uncalled for. I overreacted and became emotional and took it out on you. But since you're leaving tomorrow, I wanted to beg forgiveness now, so that I don't have to wait a week wondering where we stand."

Rainbow Dash blinked.

She hadn't thought that Mare Do Well would want to apologize. Dash hadn't even fully understood why she'd been so mad about what had happened, and the apology startled her. What was Mare Do Well apologizing for, exactly? For flipping out over contact that she had initiated? It wasn't like Rainbow Dash was going to hold a grudge over that.

"Don't apologize," Rainbow finally answered. "If, if you hadn't done that, I probably would have. So, I mean, one of us was going to freak out. So if it was you, then at least I got to keep my cool, right?"

No response.

Mare Do Well was still perched in the tree, very pointedly not looking at her, instead looking somewhere over Rainbow Dash's head. Her legs swung in that nervous way again.

"Why did you come here?" Rainbow Dash asked after another uneasy beat. "You've never actually gone out of your way to find me before. Except for when you're, um, being all superhero-y and saving ponies and stuff."

"I thought that since you know now for sure that I can't be Fluttershy, it would be safe for me to come see you at her house," Mare Do Well explained. "And like I said before. I wanted to say I'm sorry. For pushing you away. I shouldn't have yelled at you for leaving when the only reason you were doing so was because I was forcing you to. It was unreasonable."

"I told you, don't apologize."

Rainbow Dash licked her lips. Her mouth was very dry.

She hadn't really thought out what she was going to say, but ever since her conversation with Applejack in the boutique, she'd been thinking about something and needed to get it off her chest. It was worth a shot, after all, and it just might work, but only if she could find the proper wording.

"I don't want to put you in a box," Rainbow said carefully.

A moment of awkward silence passed between them as Rainbow Dash struggled to find the words she needed to say.

"I want... I know that there's a lot to who you are. And it's the same with my friends, and, and with everypony in Ponyville, probably. There's a lot I don't know about other ponies, and a lot I pretend I don't see, because it's easier to think of you all one way than it is to always be changing how I see you. And I know that you guys go along with it for the same reasons, and also probably because you do the same to me. So we all pretend to be things we're not, because it's easier than being completely open with each other."

Mare Do Well was staring directly at her then, and more than anything else, Rainbow Dash wanted to know what sort of expression was hidden under that mask: whether it was a smile, or a frown, or what. To give her some kind of clue as to whether or not she should continue, or if this was a terrible idea and Rainbow needed to shut up right then before she made a bigger foal of herself than she already had.

"Ponies are complicated, but most of the time I look at the world in a really narrow way, and I just ignore what I don't like or understand," Rainbow finally continued, albeit in a halting, nervous way. "And I think I understand why you did this, now. I mean, it's still crazy, and I'm still pretty sure that I could get you arrested if I felt like it, but... I think I get it. Sort of. You didn't want to have to try and fit into that box I put you in. You mentioned boxes before, but I didn't really listen to you then. You wanted to be what you really are and find out if I liked you anyway, even if it was unfamiliar and kind of scary for me to learn that one of my friends could be so different. That's why you used the disguise. Because if I knew who you were, then I'd just... I'd start thinking of you like that, and then all the restrictions would come back and you'd have to go back into that box, or else everything would get messed up."

"Very smart," Mare Do Well said smoothly. "Did you figure that out all on your own, or did you have help?"

Rainbow Dash could either give in to the flare of anger rising up within her chest, or she could take the high road and ignore the jibe. Or she could grin and say, "I had help. I'm not smart enough to think of something that good on my own."

There was another silence.

"Well, congratulations," the mare said at last. "You must feel quite clever now, and that was a very pretty speech, too. Your eloquence was somewhat lacking, since you seem given to stuttering and stumbling over your words. But perhaps that was done intentionally, to add to the realism. Overall, it was very nice. But it won't work."

"Huh?"

"I'm not trying to teach you any sort of grand lesson here," Mare Do Well said calmly. "I've been very open about what I've wanted, right from the very beginning. I love you. I would like you to love me. As myself, I didn't feel safe confessing, so I became somepony else so that I'd be free to behave how I wished. There's nothing deeper to my actions than that."

Rainbow Dash blinked, and her eyes narrowed as she took a step forward, approaching the base of the tree. Maybe it was her imagination, but she thought she saw Mare Do Well shrink back a little when she did, and it occurred to Dash that maybe she was sitting in the tree so that Rainbow Dash couldn't get too close. To maintain a safe distance between the two of them.

"Liar," Rainbow spat. Short and simple and brittle. Mare Do Well flinched.

"I see what you're doing," Mare Do Well continued, ignoring Dash's accusation. "You're trying to invoke the endgame, here. You think that if you impress me by making some elaborate speech about all that you've learned from our game, then I'll no longer see any need to play and I'll call it off, and then everypony will live happily ever after. I must congratulate you on the subtle direction of your latest move; rather than trying to find out who I am by removing the mask by force, you're trying to compel me to do so myself. Very sneaky. But I was never intending to teach you anything, so I don't actually care about what you've learned. And besides, I find the game fun. I'm not going to give it up. I want to win."

"But we have to care about all that! Because the way we're going, neither of us are going to win!" Rainbow Dash interrupted.

Mare Do Well cocked her head.

"Continue," she prompted.

"I'm never going to know who you actually are if I can't look past what I think you are, and you're never going to get me to like you if you can't drop the act and show me who you actually are. Neither of us can win unless we let go of all those ideas we have about ourselves and each other."

"Is that so?" Mare Do Well asked mildly.

She didn't say anything further, but instead chose that moment to lightly drop down from her perch atop the tree, landing with a soft thump in the snow before Rainbow Dash and leading the pegasus to assume that the mare had heard what she'd said. And whether she'd fully understood her own words or not, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but feel the corners of her mouth turn up in a grin; a tiny display of triumph.

"I suppose this is goodbye for now," Mare Do Well said softly, almost mournfully.

Mare Do Well was standing perhaps two or three feet away from Rainbow, but even that distance wasn't enough to make Rainbow Dash forget that pull, that urge, the desire to draw closer to the mare and slip into place against her. The place that Dash had somehow fit into so well when they'd fallen asleep together.

"You look lovely in your dress. It's too bad," Mare Do Well continued with a sigh. "In an ideal world, I'd be able to tell you so in the open and maybe even dance with you at the party. But I doubt you'd ever let me close enough to ask."

You don't know that, Rainbow Dash almost said before catching herself. Instead, Dash said, "You are going to be there. Right?"

"Well, yes, I'll be there. But I won't be there. Mare Do Well won't be. And if I'm not hiding behind my mask, I'll be too afraid to act on my impulses, so likely I'll just be hiding in a corner, admiring you from afar."

"Impulses?" Rainbow Dash repeated, ignoring the compliment Mare Do Well had snuck in. Dash may have been the kind of pony who loved getting her ego stroked, but every time Mare Do Well managed to slip in a bit of flattery into her speech, she wanted to curl up in a ball and hide in a corner until the heat in her cheeks died down. "How is any of this just an impulse? You mean the whole costumed stalker thing was just a random, spur of the moment idea?"

"That wasn't an impulse," Mare Do Well corrected. "That was a carefully devised plan. By impulse, I mean the sort of impulse that drives me to do this."

Mare Do Well knelt slightly, and took one of Rainbow Dash's hooves in her own, bringing it to her mouth. The cloth of her mask covered her lips, barring any true contact and keeping it from being a genuine kiss, but from the way she pressed the hoof against the place where her mouth would've been, the intention of the gesture was clear.

"See?" she said lightly. "I'm out of control."

There were no words, just open-mouthed shock and that electric current that was coursing through Rainbow Dash's body, tingling, causing her fur to stand on end. She yanked her hoof back.

"Freak!" Dash barked. "You're lucky I don't... that I don't..."

"Don't what?"

"Get out!" Rainbow Dash exploded. "I mean, I mean, we're already outside, but... but get lost! Go away! Not seeing you for a week'll be good! It'll be perfect! Just go!"

Mare Do Well gave a little bow.

"I hope you have a Happy Hearth's Warming," she said graciously.

Rainbow Dash didn't stick around to watch her slip away the way she always did. Instead she ran, leaving once more, but this time of her own desire to get out of there. Heart thumping against her chest, shattering her ribcage into a thousand million pieces and scaring her more than anything else she'd ever felt before in her life.

Back in Fluttershy's cottage, Rainbow Dash was expecting to quietly slip back inside, but instead entered to find the lights on and Fluttershy waiting up for her.

She didn't look upset. Not angry, not hurt, not betrayed or any of those feelings that would've been so wrong for her but that Rainbow Dash had grown to expect from everypony she met nowadays.

"Are you all right?" Fluttershy asked with concern.

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash lied. "I'm fine."

Fluttershy frowned slightly, and then her mouth curved into a smile.

"I believe you," she said sweetly. "Because if anything was wrong, I know you'd tell me."

"Y-yeah."

"After all, we've been friends all of our lives."

"Yeah."

"And if something was really bothering you, something really big and scary and important, you'd tell me, because you know that I'd do almost anything to help you fix it."

Rainbow Dash nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, I would."

Fluttershy gave her a very pointed look before rising on all fours.

"It's very late," she said gravely. "I think we should go to sleep. We have to get up early in the morning, after all."

"That's a good idea," Rainbow Dash said weakly.

Another meaningful look, and Fluttershy turned and began to lead the way to her bedroom. She held open the door for Rainbow Dash, giving her a small, encouraging smile.

And then Rainbow Dash broke. She collapsed against her friend, sobbing.

To her credit, Fluttershy didn't give a knowing smirk the way Twilight or Applejack might have if Rainbow Dash had fallen apart in front of them. Instead, Fluttershy gently hugged Rainbow Dash, letting her cry into her chest, stroking her mane tenderly and whispering to her softly, the way she might have whispered reassurances to one of her injured animals. And Rainbow Dash let her, let Fluttershy protect her from something she didn't understand why she needed protection from, long into the night.

And the whole time, all Rainbow Dash could think was how although Fluttershy's embrace offered comfort and warmth, it wasn't the same.

• • •

Mare Do Well stared at herself in the mirror.

She had gone home and removed the costume, and still she felt like Mare Do Well. Not herself. A stranger in the mirror.

Raising a hoof, she touched her face.

Rainbow Dash was brilliant. She had come to this strange and powerful conclusion that had never even once crossed Mare Do Well's mind. At least, she didn't think so. But it made sense.

Who was she, anyway? What was her real self?

She wanted to be real for Rainbow Dash. She wanted to be normal. She wanted to do at least that much for the pegasus, but she didn't even know where to begin.

They were both so alike, she reflected. When confronted with emotions they didn't want, either because they just didn't like them or found them too confusing, they turned it into anger. The difference was, Rainbow Dash lashed out, growing violent and argumentative; Mare Do Well became bitter and snide, making sarcastic jabs and pointed insults that she never intended to wield as the weapons they were. She became mean, although she never wanted to be.

At first she'd been terrified that she'd gone about it all wrong, that Rainbow Dash hated her after all and was never going to change her mind. Then they'd woken up together that morning, and Rainbow Dash had been clinging to her as well.

Mare Do Well had been flustered, utterly bewildered by the idea that maybe Rainbow Dash actually wanted her to stay, because it was so far from her idea of the pegasus, but then, after spending a day contemplating it, she'd started to realize that maybe Rainbow Dash was more like her than she'd thought, and the hostility was because she was confused, too.

The kiss – or as close to a kiss as it could be with a mask – had been like an experiment; an experiment to test that theory. And sure enough, Dash had reacted with anger, even though Mare Do Well had seen in her eyes, in the blush on her cheeks and in the strange, goofy smile twitching on her mouth, that Rainbow Dash hadn't actually minded.