• Published 26th Sep 2016
  • 2,525 Views, 77 Comments

Bright Green Monster Realm, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Undeath - ArtieStroke



A fantastical romp starring a ragtag group of familiar monster girls

  • ...
7
 77
 2,525

Lesson 3: Demon

De-mon \dē-mən\

n.

The most malevolent of infernal monsters, resulting from the monsterization of souls who have committed willing atrocities, or are consumed by an unfathomable rage during the process. While tempered towards humans with much less malice due to the current Demon Lord's influence, they will not hesitate to cause harm to others.


For the second time that day, it truly hit Twilight that she was no longer human.

Standing in front of a full length mirror in her room- her actual room, not her currently destroyed study- she put a hand to her pallid face. It still clung to that dark shade of umber stubbornly, but Twilight felt as if someone was sucking the vibrancy from it. Blood cooled and pooled, her flesh graying as it congealed into a the viscous ichor that would give her a reflection of life.

The thing that vexed Twilight most was her confusion as to what kind of undead she ended up being. She neither hungered for blood nor had any aversion to sunlight- that crossed vampire right off the book. And she was very certain she wasn't a lich either- the slight coldness of the room sended tingles up her spine in a way that only having your soul bound directly to your body could do. And that very much couldn't happen if a phylactery was created at Twilight's monsterization.

On the other hand, she was FAR too 'lively' to be a mere stock zombie; she had studied the effects of that particular transformation before (under strict guidance and with permission from Celestia herself, mind you)- it would usually take months of recuperation and feeding upon spiritual energy to regain a baseline amount of sapience, and even if Celestia somehow herself provided all that energy in one go (which was HIGHLY doubtful despite her skill, simply due to being a creature of demonic energy instead), that wouldn't-

"Hey, are you okay?"

Twilight snapped out of her thoughts, looking towards the doorway as Spike leaned on the frame. Twilight sighed.

"I... don't know. If you haven't noticed, I've kind of been through a lot in the last two days."

"You're telling me," Spike said, sauntering into the room and flopping himself onto Twilight's mattress. She frowned.

"Shouldn't you be packing?"

"Already done."

"Double checked? Triple checked? Remembered to bring a toothbrush, extra socks, a sweater in case it gets-"

"I'll be fiiiiiiiine," Spike whined, flipping over onto his stomach, "I'm not you, Twilight- I don't need a checklist for every single thing I do, I'm practically an adult! If I make a mistake, then it's on me- but I'll make do with what I got."

Twilight blinked, blushing a little, "I don't make checklists for everything..."

Spike looked towards Twilight's personal desk, and the long flowing scroll that threatened to slip off of it. Even from a distance he could make out the listed words "Extra socks, toilet paper, extra toilet paper, extra extra toilet paper, spare quills, portable skillet"- after that Spike's head gave a dull throb of annoyance.

"Uhuh."

With a groan, Twilight pointed towards the door, "Just let me pack in peace, please?"

Spike rolled out of the bed, hopping up onto his feet before crossing the room to her. He put a hand on her arm, noting that she was feeling more and more room-temperature by the hour.

"Everything will be okay, right?"

Twilight hesitated, before nodding, "Yeah... everything will be okay."


Twilight's nerve was starting to weaken the closer she and Spike approached the throne room doors again.

She was scared. And she wasn't afraid to admit it- in fact, it was probably just as courageous to admit one was scared than to imply false bravado in the face of one's fears like a fool. Just two days ago she was a student of magic with a bit of promise. Now she was a walking dead with the possible fate of the world on her shoulders.

No pressure.

As Spike pushed open the doors, Twilight ran through a few mental exercises to calm down. One and one were two, two and one were three, three and two were five, five and three was eight...

She had gotten to around 610 before her attention was drawn away from calming sequencing to a pair of scrolls in Celestia's hands, one in the usual tan of vellum, while the other was a curious scarlet tone.

"Before you head out, I have a few things to go over with you," Celestia started, "First of all, what with the old castle residing in the Everfree forest, you should safely assume the journey to be perilous."

Twilight and Spike both nodded, "Yes- I was actually planning on stopping in one of the bordering townships to both supply up and possibly hire on other adventurers to act as bodyguards- under a pretense of course. We don't want to start a panic with the populace if word got around that an ancient evil was set to awaken before the end of the month."

Celestia nodded, "A smart course of action- I have marked a few of the nearest villages on this map," she said, holding up the plain scroll before handing it to Twilight. She carefully took it, unrolling and scanning the marked areas- the location of the castle clearly labelled in red ink, with small red dots indicating a sparse collection of towns that are both on the way from Canterlot to the Everfree Castle and close enough to the forest itself to provide good supplies.

"This second scroll is of utmost importance," Celestia said, bringing Twilight's attention back.

"What's with the red paper?" Spike muttered, and Twilight softly elbowed him.

"Ow!"

Clearing her throat sternly, Celestia continued, "Now, Twilight- I'm sure you know that you are not my first student."

"Oh, I had no delusions otherwise," Twilight said, "Even with the small amount that have tutored under you personally, the entire College is technically your domain. I may have a few special privileges, but I don't consider Moondancer or Minuette to be any lesser on the scale of tutelage."

A warm smile grew on Celestia's face for a moment, before she continued with her somber tone, "Well, not all of my former students have been as... open minded as you have been."

Celestia steeled herself, closing her eyes for a moment as a few painful memories surfaced, "A few years before you, I had another student whose studies I was overseeing on a more... personal scale. She was a prodigy- a magical genius. Her skill at evocation could probably rival that of a few magically inclined mamono when she was still human."

Twilight frowned nervously, glancing from the scroll back up to her teacher, "Why are you telling me this?"

There was a moment's pause, before Celestia continued, "Because, Twilight- I have a secondary mission for you. This student, while brilliant, lacked... many things. Compassion being primary among them. When I discovered some of the experiments she had been running..." Celestia shook her head, "I was furious with her. But I was also too late, and she had succeeded in performing a self-directed monsterization."

Twilight gasped, "How is that possible? Unless an outside party is involved, most all monsterizations result in succubi-"

"-With a few very, very important exceptions," Celestia finished, "Can you list them?"

Thinking for a moment, Twilight held out her hand as she counted down her fingers, "Well... incredibly virtuous souls tend to become angels and Valkyries, intense amounts of dark elemental energy can result in a Dark Matter- not to mention a myriad of other infection based mamono- and then if the person has committed some truly heinous acts, they become...."

Twilight's eyes slowly went wide, as she stared at the scroll- it was sealed in wax, imprinted with a symbol very similar to the Zippangu mark of balance, but wreathed in flames.

"... Demons."

With a sad nod that spoke volumes more than any words could offer, Celestia held out the scroll, "This scroll is bound to my former disciple's soul. Whoever breaks the seal has contract dominion over her."

She looked Twilight in the eyes, "Twilight, I want you to help Sunset Shimmer return from the path she's gone down."

Spike gulped, "Isn't that... a little heavy for a first mission? I mean... we're kind of already fighting the clock on a crazy moon goddess."

"That is true," Celestia said, "However, as Twilight mentioned earlier- the Everfree is dangerous, and hired bodyguards are useful, if not at all cheap. So long as you have this scroll, she is bound to you and your bidding."

Very gingerly, Twilight took the scroll, inspecting it all over. The red coloration was most certainly not a dye- the material felt just slightly more fleshy than your average vellum. A warmth emanated from it, and Twilight looked back up to Celestia.

"Do I just... open it? No pricking thumbs to seal the deal?"

"Blood has long since been paid, and is most certainly owed from her now," Celestia answered, before taking a step back, "We mustn't delay any longer."

Twilight nodded, gulping as she slipped her thumb under the edge of the scroll near the wax seal. In a swift motion, she split the wax in twain, unfurling the contract. Letters in a script she didn't quite recognize burned on the page, as if glowing with the light of hell-fire and magma, shifting as she tried to understand them. There was a blast of heat, and the same symbol cracked and etched itself on the floor before her. Oddly enough, Twilight was reminded of Celestia's own insignia by it's design- was that intentional? Some rune carved specifically for Sunset's seal?

Another flash, accompanied by pained screams as Twilight shielded her eyes. Brimstone stung her nose, and when looked back she was horrified by what she saw.

She really was a demon. Her skin an almost burnt shade of red with hair literally aflame. While Celestia's infernal heritage granted her a feeling of grace and subtlety, Sunset was jagged and rough, leathery wings sharply edged and swooping horns that were notched like a saw blade. Her tail swished, almost like a cat ready to pounce, and she shakily stood from from the fetal position she was laying in before.

Sunset's eyes met Celestia's, and for a moment there was silence.

"YOU!"

She screamed, streaking towards her teacher as Twilight held up a hand, "Stop!"

Sunset froze in her assault, clearly struggling to move forward but unable to. She clenched her fists and turned around- Twilight swore, if looks could kill she'd be dead again all over. Sunset spotted the scroll in Twilight's hand, and gritted her teeth.

"... As your will commands."

Unable to immediately act upon her vengeance, Sunset finally noticed where she stood, glaring at it's odd familiarity.

"Fifteen years and you still haven't redecorated the place," She said, glaring in Celestia's direction, "I think I can still see the scorch marks where I nearly roasted you, Princess."

She spat out the word, as if it tasted foul on her tongue. Celestia, for her part, was more than a little shocked.

"How could you possible know how long it's been?" she asked, and Sunset growled.

"I counted it," She said, walking in a circle as far as Twilight's command had let her get to her former teacher, "Every second, of every day, trapped in that abyss you would rather put me in than kill me off as a mercy."

"I had no intention for you to even be aware-"

"Save it for someone who cares!" Sunset shouted, and Twilight had had enough.

"Hey! She is obviously your better as far as magic is concerned, otherwise this conversation wouldn't be happening!" She rebutted, "Show her some respect!"

Sunset whipped around, and truly looked over Twilight. Her initial bravado waned as she fell under Sunset's microscope, and a moment later the demon laughed.

"This is what you replaced me with? Some brain-munching, ass-kissing troglodyte?"

"Well, this 'brain munching troglodyte' is the one holding your scroll," Twilight countered, and Sunset's smirk immediately vanished from her face.

"Yeah!" Spike said, emphasizing Twilight's burn by holding out a hand to high five. Twilight didn't leave him hanging.

"Alright, I fucking get it- you've got me by the short hairs, what am I even doing here?" Sunset said, doing her best to steer the conversation away from her embarrassments.

"I'm so glad you asked," Twilight said, her sense of snark slowly returning, "We've got you here to save the world!"

Sunset blinked once, her face falling flat, "Oh, joy."

Author's Note:

Well, it's getting off to a bit of a slow start, but now plot it happening! Let's hope I can keep this story chugging along!