• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 19,338 Views, 1,434 Comments

Glory of the Sun - Celesti Lateo



|Self-Insert Fic| I thought being an Alicorn prince would be awesome, because, you know, magic and imortality and knowing souls do exist is kind of awesome, right? Eh, not so much when your new mother is a crazed wannabe goddess.

  • ...
74
 1,434
 19,338

Adagio

"Y-you too, Prince."

He scampers away, following his mother.

I hope I got through to her. I'd hate for Shiny to snap because of her.

At the very least, I'll get to leave soon, considering many are following Velvet's lead.

"You are playing a dangerous game, Solus."

"Maybe", I reply to my mother, "but I'm sure he's worth it."

"Hmm, an Insight?"

A what?

"I guess?"

"Interesting... maybe she is really too hard on him..."

She shakes her head.

"Well, we shall see soon enough, considering you offered the services of your tutors."

"That's not a problem, is it?"

"Is it? It's not like they are doing anything right now. It's not because it's your birthday that they get to lay about, doing nothing."

That's one way of looking at it. Anyway.

"Can I be excused, Mother?"

"Hmm? Yes, yes. Goodnight, Solus."

"Goodnight Mother."

She seems pensive. I don't like her pensive. Let's go back, I don't to want to leave Mac or Cadance alone any longer than I need to.

Though I'll preempt a possible source of trouble.

"Proper?"

"Yes, Prince?"

"You've done a great job today. You can take your leave early."

"I... Very well, my Prince."

He leaves. Great! I hope the staff will be as docile.


They were as docile, fortunately, and I now find myself alone with Mac and Cadance. Mac is standing before me, but Cadance is laying on their bed, still as a rock. Their bed, was it so hard to procure two beds? I know, I know, ask stupid questions...

*sigh*

"How is she?"

"Bad. She won't peep a word."

"Right... what a mess."

"S-Solus", he trip on the word. "What did you do to..."

"They'll get a trial."

"A trial? Why?"

"I can't be like her, like the Empress. It would be to easy to take justice into my own hooves and turn it into selfish vengeance. If one alicorn can fall, what would... would prevent me from becoming like her?"

"You're nothing like her!"

"Because I don't allow myself to. Make no mistake about this Mac. She might be harsh, but my life is still something out of a fairy tale. She... she might be a tyrant, but she's a competent one."

"What are you saying?"

"That it would be much easier to give in."

"But you wouldn't, right?"

I keep silent.

"Right?!"

"...I don't know. It's easy to say that I would fight for Harmony, but will I stay true to that sentiment under duress? I don't know."

"If it's so hard, then why did you help us?!"

"Because I'm not stupid."

"What?"

"Only an idiot would choose evil. All those ponies claiming that optimism and idealism are stupid and childish, they do not realize they hold themselves back. Selfishness and cruelty are counterproductive. Oh, you might live a luxurious lifestyle by being selfish and cruel, you might win, you might even be remembered as a hero. But in the end, what's the point? You hoisted yourself up? Good for you! But what about the others? All those that suffered because of your actions? Even if you don't care, you still lose, for what will you leave behind? A legacy of misery? I'd be far more satisfied by helping make the world a better place. It might not be as easy, or even enjoyable, but it is definitely far more fulfilling. That's why I swore I'd never let myself be cruel, or cowardly. It isn't worth it. But I'm not arrogant enough to think that I will always think that way."

"But... why tell me?"

"You'll keep me grounded. You suffered so much in so little time... you will keep me from elevating myself beyond the common pony. Beyond, to the temptation of saying 'the end justify the means' without thinking about if the end itself is justified. You will be Honest and keep me in Harmony with the rest of the world."

"Really? But I'm just-"

"A slave? Are you going to let the Empress tell you what you are capable of?"

"N-no."

"Then do you accept?"

"Accept?"

"Of course. Why would I force my friend to do anything?"

"Friend?"

"Yes. If you want to."

"I do!"

I smile.

"Good. Then, as your friend, I promise I'll always listen. Do you promise to always tell me your Honest opinion?"

"I-I do! I promise!"

I hug him.

"Thank you, Macintosh."

"It's... It's nothing."

I let go.

"No. It's everything."

"If you say so..."

"I do, and I mean it."

He looks away, at Cadance.

"What about her?"

"...I don't know. I'm not a mind healer. The only thing we can do is be there for her."

"Oh..."

"The Empress might claim to be a goddess, but I know that alicorns can't perform miracles."

*sigh*

"We had a long day, let us rest."

"Will she be able to sleep?"

Hmm...

"Maybe..."

There has to be something about it...

I sit on the edge of the bed, petting Cadance mane.

Reach for the font, harmonize. Think about...joy, Love...Kindness...Home...

I begin to softly sing:

"La maison est derrière

Le monde est devant

Nombreux sentiers ainsi je prends

À travers l'ombre

Jusqu'à la fin de la nuit

Jusqu'à la dernière étoile qui luit

Brumes et nuages

Noyés dans l'obscurité

Tous va se mêler

Ooooh tous va...

se mêler."

I did it! I performed a Heartsong! YES!

"...what did you sing about?", a voice whispers.

"I sang about leaving the world you knew, how... hard, it is to do so, of the journey before you come home again."

"...did that happen to you?"

"...Yes..."

A pause.

"...thank you...for saving me..."

"Will you be alright? Is there anything I can do?"

"...i don't know..."

"That's okay. Just know that we'll be there for you. Me and Mac."

"...could you...give me one?"

"Give you what?"

"...a name..."

"Um, sure."

Sure I could give her "Cadance", but how do I justify it...

"What about Cadance?"

"...cadance?"

"Yes. You're one of the only ponies who witnessed a Heartsong in nearly a millenium, and I've got the feeling you could perform them too."

"...really?"

I smile.

"Yeah, really."

"... i love it, thank you..."

"Everybody deserves a good name. Rest now, tomorrow is a new day, full of new things."

"...Okay."

I kiss her on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Cadance."

She smiles. It's a little thing, but it was worth the effort.

I rise and turn to Mac.

"You too, Mac. Goodnight."

"You're not going to kiss me, are you?"

Cadance giggles softly. It's a wonderful sound, like little bells.

I shake my head.

"No you silly pony. Get to bed!"

"Okay, okay."

Cheeky little thing. Still, I'm glad he's comfortable enough to do this kind of thing.

I slip under the cover of my bed.

Tomorrow is indeed a new day. It might be worse than today, but it could also be better.

At the very least, I've got four elements now.

Loyalty. Honesty. Kindness. Magic.

Just two more.