• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 19,352 Views, 1,434 Comments

Glory of the Sun - Celesti Lateo



|Self-Insert Fic| I thought being an Alicorn prince would be awesome, because, you know, magic and imortality and knowing souls do exist is kind of awesome, right? Eh, not so much when your new mother is a crazed wannabe goddess.

  • ...
74
 1,434
 19,352

Budding Talent

Oh gosh, I'm so anxious. I sent Cadance away on a mission to help ponies resolve their relationship problems, like I said I would. She went to do it this morning and hasn't come back yet, though I did give her the entire day off...

Still, I'm just wondering if she'll get her cutie mark by doing this. If she does...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I asked Fancy to get coat dye so if she gets her canon cutie mark, we'll be able to hide it. It wouldn't do for Celestia to know that the rightful ruler of the Crystal Empire is my slave. Fortunately, the dresses I gave her so she could blend in with the Castle's staff will also serve the additional purpose of hiding her cutie mark, should she get it in public.

I'm actually trying to have all three of my companions earn their cutie marks, but their acquisition is so fickle. The Cutie Mark Crusaders did have some talents, building, singing and dancing, but none of them got them their cutie marks. Who is to say Cady will get the same cutie mark? Shiny won't be too bad, considering his special talent has something to do with protection and considering he's my knight, he'll get plenty of opportunities to try his hoof at it. Mac, though, that's something else. His cutie mark most certainly had something to do with apple farming, but he won't be doing anything related to agriculture in this life. Will he get a different mark, or will he be mark-less until I get him to plow a field? I hope not. Considering that cutie marks seem to be an intrinsic part of ponykind, its absence might have negative consequence on Mac's magic, or even his psyche. If we consider how the Equal Ponies were affected...

I shake my head.

It doesn't matter right now, I have to focus on the present.

The door to my office (yes, my office. Though I mostly use it as place where I do my homework.) opens and Cadance walks in. Yes! I won't have to wait anymore!

I walk up to her and smile.

"So, Cadance, did you manage to help anypony?"

She beams, hopping on the spot.

"I did! And guess what?"

"No way! Did you...?", I say, filled with excitement.

"I got my emblem!", she shouts, much like the CMC did in the show. She's literally vibrating in place by now.

I hug her, lifting her up and standing on my hind legs, before I spin us around, eliciting pearls of laughter from Cadance.

"I knew you'd get it! Congratulation, Cady!"

I set her down, felling woozy. Note to self: doing this as a horse is a bad idea.

Cady smiles softly, much more calm, and nuzzle me.

"Thank you, Solus. I couldn't have done it without your support."

"It was nothing. It's your special talent, after all. Can I see it?", I ask.

"Oh! Sure! I'll just go undress myself, it won't take long!", she says, before hurrying out of the room.

Ah! She got it! That's perfect! At least I know I'm doing something right...

Oh, shut it, self-flagellating part of my brain!

It's too bad that Mac and Shiny aren't here. Maybe I should have given them the day off too. Hmm, probably not. I don't think I could have gotten away with doing that, but it's still unfortunate they are not here.

Cady comes back in, free of her clothes and...

"So? What do you think?", she asks with an excited voice,

I think I'd rather you did not shake your rump at me and also THAT'S THE MOTHERBUCKING CRYSTAL HEART! YES!

"It's...it's perfect. A heart pure as crystal. It's exactly you."

She blushes and smiles widely.

"Thanks! It means a lot, you saying that."

I smile back.

"Anytime, Cady. So, how did you get it?", I ask, curious.

"Oh! Well, it's quite the tale actually. See it all began when..."


(Cadance P.O.V)


Help ponies with their relationship, help ponies with their relationship...

Ugh, how do I do that? I can't just walk up to somepony and...

Slap!

"You dare!? I deigned accept your proposal! Without me, you'd be a nopony, a shadow in the Court! Stripped of your heritage! Is that how you repay me? How you repay my sacrifice and effort?", a mare screams angrily.

"N-no I-I-", a stallion stutters fearfully.

"Stop stuttering! What a wreck you are! What would you be without me? Go away! Only come back when you're really sorry!", the mare shrieks, slamming the door to her (their?) apartment.

The young stallion jumps back, startled by the closing door, before slumping against the wall opposite the door. He grabs his head as he begins sobbing.

"W-what am, sniff, am I going to do? She h-hates me, now...", he says softly.

He continues sobbing silently before he notices me.

"What do you want?", he hisses at me. "Come laugh at the poor fool?"

"What?", I reply, genuinely shocked. "Of course not! I'm just...sorry for you..."

"I don't need your pity!", He spats out.

"It's not pity, it's...empathy. No one should have to feel like this. Do you want to talk about it?", I ask, stepping closer, smiling reassuringly.

I'm not sure that's what Solus had in mind, but I can't just let that be, right?

"Talk? With you?", he asks, disbelief apparent on his face.

"Talking helps. I would know. I had plenty of ponies talk with me, including adults, and feel better afterwards."

"You? You're just a filly! What would you know about what I'm going through?"

"Nothing, but sometime a child's innocent point of view might give you a new perspective on your problems. It won't hurt to try, will it?", I say, placing a hoof on his wither.

He hangs his head.

"I...I guess not", he mumbles.

I sit beside him.

"So, who was that?", I begin.

"That was my fiancee, Upper Crust."

"Your fiancee?"

"Yes, my beloved fiancee", he says, his tone heavy with sarcasm, shaking his head. "See, I'm not a noble, I'm a burgher, son of an important merchant. My father told me I had to find a suitable bride if I wanted my inheritance, so I set forth to court a Lady, for who else would be more suitable?"

"That doesn't seem to be a good foundation for a relationship", I point out.

He snorts disdainfully.

"I guess not. But I still had to do this, so I searched for an impoverished noble family, and enter Upper Crust. Her father is a baron of a little castle which brings little revenue. So, to increase his wealth, he dabbled in investments by taking loans. As you'd imagine, investments are a risky venture, and sure enough, he lost it all when the caravan he had funded was ambushed. So when I came asking for his daughter's hoof, he jumped at the opportunity to have someone deal with his debts."

"Is that why she was so angry?"

"No, well, yes, indirectly. She's very reluctant about the whole thing, she thinks she's debasing herself by marrying a commoner. Thus, she makes sure to remind me that she's a noble and that's she's better than me at every opportunity she gets."

"Can't you find somepony else?"

He sighs.

"No, there is nopony else. The nobility is loathe to open its rank to the plebeian. I'm stuck with her."

"Did you try to talk with her about how you feel?"

"I did. That's why she gave me this", he says, pointing to his cheek.

I rub my chin, thinking hard. What could I do? Maybe...

"Maybe I could go talk to her?", I propose.

"What?", he says, boggling at what he heard. "Out of the question, you'll only make things worse!"

"Master Solus always says there's two sides to a conflict. I should at least try."

"'Master Solus'? You mean the Prince?", he asks.

"Uh-huh."

"You are a confidant of the Prince?", he says, his eyes wide with surprise.

"Yes", I say, nodding.

"Maybe she will listen to you...", he mumbles. "Fine, you can try it your way."

Yes! I knew that would work!

["Wait, wait, wait, wait...you used my name to get him to agree?"

"Yeah? What's the problem?"

"I...I'm sure there is one, just-"

"Shush, let me continue."]

I get up and go to the door, hesitating a bit before knocking. It doesn't take long before the door opens.

"Who are you? What do you want?", Upper Crust asks harshly.

"I am Cadance, a companion of His Serene Highness."

Her eyebrows crease.

"His...", she starts, before her eyebrows go in the opposite direction. "The Prince!? Is there something he wants from me?", she says frantically.

I wave my hoof.

"No, no! Don't worry, though I am here on a errand he assigned to me."

"An errand?"

"Yes! In order for me to become more skilled at interacting with the Court, he asked me to go around the Castle and help ponies with their relationship problems."

"Relationship problems? I don't-"

She stops short when she sees the stallion, who cringes before waving and smiling weakly.

"The only problem I have with him is the fact that does not appreciate my contribution to our relationship.", she says, turning her nose up.

"Does he really?"

"Of course!", she snaps.

"Did you ever talk to him about it?"

"Of course I did! I made it very clear what I expect from him!"

"Did you let him do the same?"

"Wha-obviously not!"

"Why not?"

"I'm already giving myself to him, isn't that enough?", she declares, glaring daggers at the stallion.

"And he's giving himself to you.", I reply.

"What is he giving, uh?", she spats out disdainfully.

What was the word Solus used...ah, yes! Don't snark, don't snark...

"His wealth, for one."

That make her stop and stare, before she turns to the stallion, murder written in her eyes.

"You told her!?", she shrieks.

"I-"

I step in between them.

"He did. So, let's recap, he needs you for his inheritance and you need him to expunge your father's debts, right?"

She grinds her teeth before answering.

"Yes", she grounds out.

"So, you are giving each other something of equal value, yes?"

She stays silent, her lips pursed.

"Yes?", I repeat more intently.

"Yes, we do", she lets out, her voice as cold as ice.

"So, by that logic, the only way for one side to add value to this arrangement his with their own self, correct?"

Her face lose of its hardness, replaced by confusion.

"I...suppose?", she says slowly.

"So, the only way for you to be better than him would be to make him happy, no?"

Now she looks positively lost.

"I...what? I...I...I imagine..."

"Can I ask you a question?"

She turns away and mumble something that sounds awfully like "it's not liked it stopped you before", before looking back at me.

"Ask away."

"I know you don't have your status in common, but did you ever try to find if you had something in common beside that?"

She scrapes the floor with her hoof, looking embarrassed.

"Well, not...exactly."

"Maybe you'd get along well with if you tried to understand him. Any relationship, romantic or nor, needs both side to understand each other. The better you understand, the better the relationship is."

"I...and who said that, uh? What would a filly would know about love?"

"The Prince said it, and he learned it from his mother."

["What?! No I didn't!"

"Shush, it's a white lie.]

"H-he did? Ah, well-"

I interrupt her.

"Also, before you try to do this just to please the Empress, wouldn't you rather do this for yourself? Wouldn't you rather have a friend for the rest of your life instead of an enemy?"

"I suppose I would...", she trails off, looking at her fiance from the corner of her eye. "Fine, I'll try to...understand him."

I smile.

"That's all anypony can ask of you." I turn to the stallion. "And you, are you willing to do the same thing?"

He looks up at his fiancee, before standing up and walking up to her.

"I am. Upper, I...you're, beautiful, smart and elegant", he says, before kneeling and taking her hoof and holding it tenderly. "You don't deserve the situation your father placed you in, but I'll try my best to make your life the best I can, I swear."

"Cruise...", She says, her eyes watering. "You really mean it? After everything I put you through?"

He smiles.

"Of course. Others might see a frigid mare, but I see a flower that only need a little care to bloom."

"Oh, Cruise!", she exclaim dramatically. "You are so kind and noble, how could I treat you so horribly?"

Cruise stands up, caressing her cheek with his hoof.

"You are forgiven, my love", he whispers tenderly.

"Cruise..."

She leans in slowly, and they kiss. Awww. They're so cute!

Uh, what's that light in the corner of-

Is my flank...shining?

"Oh dear! Did you...did you get your emblem? Thank to us?" Upper Crust asks.

"I-I think so! That's awesome!"

Cruise smiles.

"You deserve it, for helping us get closer to each other.", he says, nuzzling his fiancee.

"That you do", she concur, nuzzling back.

I've got my emblem!

"I've got to show this to Solus!" I exclaim, beginning to run toward the Royal Wing, before I stop myself and turn back. "Oh! I completely forgot to ask! What's your name?"

"My name is Lavish Cruise, of Genua, milady."

"Milady? I'm not-"

"You are as noble as one.", he says smiling, with Upper Crust nodding her approval.

"Th-thank you! I...I've got to go! I hope I see you again."

"So do we.", Upper says.

They wave at me as I run down the hall. Wait until I tell Solus!



"So, that's my story."

I smile.

"Exactly what I came to expect from my future assistant. Well done, Cady."

"Do you think I could see them again?", she asks, with hopeful eyes.

"I guess you could, but do be aware that they didn't know you are a slave."

Her smile dies a painful and abrupt death.

"Oh, right..."

I place my hoof over hers.

"But, you might be able to change their opinion."

She gives me a small smile.

"You...you think so?"

"Why not? You brought them together, so why not that?"

Her smiles grow and she nods.

"Yeah! I've got to try! Maybe they'll even help us!"

Well I sincerely doubt that will happen, but I suppose if we don't try we'll never know.

"Anyway, it's close to midday, I'm sure you're hungry, let's go get some grub!", I say as I walk to the door.

She giggles and follows behind me.


"Master Solus?"

"Fancy, why did you cast a privacy spell?"

"I found it. It will be delivered in a few days."

"Are you certain it's what I asked for?"

"Positive."

"Thank you, Fancy. I don't know what I would do without you."

He bows.

"It is my pleasure to serve, Master Solus. I shall take my leave now. I have to make Sir Armour takes his bath."

I giggle.

"Good luck with that."

He rolls his eyes and leaves.

I've got it! With it...

I can't wait to have the Exaggero Invida Amulet.