• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 552 Views, 16 Comments

At War with the Army - Clear_Skies



As a pony in the service, there is the name you're born with, the mark you earn, and then the one you earn. Newly-minted Captain Down Range is tasked with taking command of Lazy Company - better known as the dumping ground of the Royal Army.

  • ...
2
 16
 552

Chapter 5 Sowing the Fields

Lazy Company File - #026

With my CO making his rounds throughout the town, visiting some of the central figures of Ponyville. I was tasked with ensuring the troops conduct were polite at best, for their sake and that of the hotel. It is surprising how amicable a soldier will be when threats are made against not only their leave pass, but the need to clean an entire hotels worth of lavatories.

It’s not to say that I wish to be their focus as an antagonist, but where Captain Down Range was the firm voice of discipline and advice, I myself would have to navigate the field of battle as his eyes and ears, seeking out trouble, and putting the flames down before they grew beyond our control.

I would certainly have a quite a tale to share with Downy Range, once the day was over, and we had ourselves a chance to share notes, thoughts, and complaints.

---

The nocturne, 1st Lt. Iron Lotus, peered up from her work, as a lanky unicorn entered into her makeshift office within the penthouse, followed by a kelpish mare.

"Lieutenant Lotus, ma'am, I won't have it, I won't stick with this fish monger any longer, after all the accusations she keeps tossing at me!" shouted Trick Step, wiping a lock of his green mane away from his eyes, its color balanced with his reddish orange coat, a raven set upon his flank. "I want a different partner, I mean, there are still crew members who haven't been assigned yet, and since the Captain isn't here..."

"I see," Lotus interrupted with a level gaze at Trick's partner Specialist Kim Chi. "Is this an issue that the both of you find yourselves in agreement?"

"It would seem so, ma'am." Kim replied. A full head shorter than Trick, she was a smaller built mare, her hair done up in an oriental pony tail, that looped her long locks around to link back into the knot. Her silver coat contrasted with her pitch black mane. Pearls peppered her body in swirling patterns like a flowing river which encircled the set of hanafuda cards upon her flank. "Our personalities and values are incompatible. I'm afraid that any permanent association between the two of us would prove most detrimental to the operation of the company."

"I understand." Lotus nodded towards the mareasian. "Please, have a seat, both of you."

The two soldiers realized the difference between commands, and initiation. This was certainly the former as noted by the touch of ice in Lotus's words.

"Now please, do expand upon these incompatible differences in values if you may." Lotus adjusted her spectacles. "Please, be honest, I find...batting around the bush to be an unnecessary waste of my time."

Both ponies glanced at each other, reluctant to be the first to voice their complaint. It was Trick who finally decided to break the ice, or at least chip away at the glacial monstrosity set before him.

"She's always got something against me, talkin' down on me and stuff!" he whined. "Just cause she knows some big words..."

Lotus held up a restraining hoof. "I do not believe the size of your partner's vocabulary should have any affect upon your person, nor her vocation if that is also an issue."

"It's not that!" Trick grumbled, flushing slightly. "She called me a crook-to my face!"

"I believe, I said you were a petty thief-and you are!" Kim corrected earnestly. "Anyone who would jeopardize the unity of the company for bits-and-bales-"

"There! There it is!" Trick shouted with satisfaction. "How can I deal with her, when she-"

"Private Trick Step, if you would please." Lotus cut in like a whip crack. She paused, allowing the two soldiers to stew in silence before continuing. "Specialist Kim Chi, would you please clarify what it means when you accuse Private Trick Step of being a petty thief?"

Kim Chi glanced at the lieutenant, then adjusted her gaze to focus on the ceiling. "It is a thief, who in their criminal activities, takes unnecessary risks for a disproportionate potential of rewards."

"Criminal activities!" Trick hopped up.

"Sit down, Private Trick Step!" Lotus ordered, keeping her eyes upon Kim Chi. "If you can abstain for but a moment, and listen, you will learn something very important."

The bushy haired soldier sank into his seat, and the lieutenant continued her line of questioning.

"If I am to understand correctly, Specialist Kim. Your objection to Trick is not that he steals, but rather, it is the scale of his operations."

"That is correct, Lieutenant." Kim Chi replied with a small smile.

"Then pray tell, to what kind of reward do you figure as justification for...oh what was the phrase? Ahh yes...criminal activities?"

"No less than a quarter of a million bits, ma'am." the mare answered firmly without hesitation.

Trick Step stared at her, mouth agape in surprise. "What! Qua...a quarter? That is bull-"

"Hmm, of course," Lotus replied, ignoring Tricks exasperated shouts, "a million may do better, perhaps three million?"

"Certainly." Kim nodded, locking her gauze with Lotus's.

Trick's fish out of water impression was beginning to improve, as his head swiveled back and forth to stare at both mares.

"Wha...what in Tartarus are you talking about?" he demanded at last.

Kim shook her head with a sigh, breaking off her staring match with Lotus. "What Lotus is speaking of, with polite indiscretion, is my involvement in the matter of embezzlement involving several million bits."

"It was never proven in the justices’ court," said Lotus.

Kim offered a weak smile. "Paper trails, marvelously easy to burn, aren't they?"

"Whoa, wait a minute!" Trick paled. "Three...million?"

"I don't actually have it." Kim grimaced, ignoring Tricks squeak at the large number. "It was...absorbed by, shall we say, bad investments."

"Investments?"

"It would be a term for gambling debts, if I am not mistaken." Lotus informed Trick.

"Bwa?"

"Well then, now that both parties have established a better understanding of each other." Lotus gestured with her wings to both soldiers. Kim held a rather inscrutable expression, while Trick continued to yearn for the deep blue sea with his gaping mouth. "The Captain and I did not randomly select names. We ensured that each team would have something they can learn from each other."

Lotus folded her wings. "Kim, you need to enjoy the world around you a little more, and Private Step here, is certainly the stallion to show you how to enjoy things for its thrills. As for you Trick Step, working with Specialist Chi, is done so with the hope that you will raise your goals in life, and to stop shooting for the lowest hanging fruit. It would be more beneficial to pluck those at the top, for they always taste better. Such skills will be very preferred for your field activities."

"Wait, wait, are you accusing me of being a thief too!" Trick bristled.

The lieutenant fixed him with a fanged grin. "I was hoping things could be a bit more amicable, but, Private Trick Step, it is noted that a number of personal items have gone missing from company individuals."

"You can't blame that on me! The locks in this hotel are the pits! I could go through any of'em without even using magic!"

Kim clopped herself in the face, hard, groaning, while Lotus leveled a raised brow at Trick.

"Really...well then Private Trick Step?" The lieutenant said with sudden interest. "Do you have the ability to teach this to the other soldiers?"

"Hah, does Celestia love cake!" the soldier beamed. "As I said, anyone could do it!"

"Well then," Lotus said casually. "I shall make an announcement and have any interested parties report to you for lessons."

"Ah shucks Lieu-"

"Outside your room."

Trick quickly paled. "My....my room?"

"Indeed, your room. You shall teach them how to handle a variety of locks-doors, suitcases, and you can do so by utilizing your room and your own personal effects as the source of their practice."

"But..."

"Of course, if there is anything in your gear that might have...'strayed' in over the past few weeks, it would be most advisable to have it 'stray' right back to their owners before you begin the lessons. Wouldn't you agree?"

Trick again pined for the open ocean, the poor stallion mistaking his life goals for that of a beached fish.

"Well come now partner." Kim chuckled, tugging him from his chair. "We have been outflanked this round, so we should prepare to do a little lost-and-found work. I believe the rest of the company will appreciate the kind gesture."


Many of the company's pairings were accepted with no complaints, but many others were quite turbulent, even strange. The strangest of all came about in the hotels cocktail lounge. Down Range would certainly be regaled of the colorful tale by Iron over a drink early the next morning.


As animals congregate at watering hole, so too did the troops flock to the cocktail lounge to mingle and relax. A smattering of civilians were certainly in attendance, some drawn by curiosity, others mostly surprised to see so many uniforms in a fixed location such as the hotel. The two groups steadfastly ignoring each other for the most part.

Not that the soldiers were unaware of the civilians, mind you. Much of the loud raucous banter and all of the roughhousing that had been developing within the group lately was left upstairs. They were expected to be on their best behavior, and with the promises made by Captain Down Range, the troops have done well to keep their boots clean, especially in the presence of the civilians. Of course no soldier wished to lose their lounge privileges, for it isn't often that one can drink in an establishment fit for the elite.

Unfortunately, the early afternoon found trouble in the air. A trio of ponies were perched at the bar, and seemed to have their minds set on causing a disturbance. To best describe them, is to say that they were at the tender age of too young to be responsible, yet too big not to be taken seriously. At best guess was that these were graduated delinquents with nothing more to do. Their ears pierced, and hair all too garishly punk in style. Honestly though, street toughs generally have a certain survival instinct, however loud they may be at times. Long after the loss of childhood belief in one's own invulnerability, where wits are clear and able to discern safe roads, to hazardous situations. Sadly these three were of the boastful invincible types.

They ushered forth a forced hilarity so easily recognized in a group vying for troublesome attention. Their heads together, sharing whispers, all the while keeping their eyes peeled for a specific table or person, then suddenly exploding with gales of laughter, loud enough to dangerously rock back and forth on their stools. When none would take the bait, they would settle upon new victim and repeat the process, growing louder each time.

The soldiers did well to ignore the forced theatrics, but without exchanging words, all knew that something was going to have to be done with the interlopers. The problem was, no one seemed willing to make the first move. Not that they were afraid of the youths. While the noisemakers were healthy enough creatures to give a good one-to-one brawl, the company outnumbered them sufficiently enough to easily toss them out onto the streets, a serious consideration that would have the media on the soldiers heads.

The soldiers have accepted that garnering media attention is not only bad for publicity, but for paychecks and R&R time. Even worse was the presence of the 1st Lt. Iron Lotus, offering hidden acidic gazes at the childish trio. So as one, the company tightened their grips on their drinks and refused to acknowledge the taunting from the bar, hoping all the while that the management would intercede before things passed the point of no return.

Then Dust Might walked in.

The world seemed to freeze, with even Iron Lotus taking a moment to mouth a silent prayer to the diarchy of Equestria. If it had been a western, now would be the time that somepony would shout "Fetch the marshal! We got trouble!" Being real life though, they did the next best thing.

"Dust Might!"

"Yo, Dust Might! Over here!"

"Got a seat for ya, join us, have a drink on the house!"

The little trooper stopped in her tracks, ears bristling in reaction to the sudden eruption of invitations from her teammates, trying so desperately to head off the inevitable.

Sadly, it was all in vain.

"HEY, DIDN'T YOU READ THE SIGN. GOTTA BE THIS TALL TO RIDE!" one of the trio slapped the bar counter.

"HA! GOOD ONE!"

A dead silence came from everyone else in the room as the small Pegasus turned her head slowly towards the noise, eyes somehow turning reader with bloodlust.

"OH, LOOKY! SHE'S GONE MAD, CAREFUL THE FLYING TICK MIGHT BITE!"

The company as a whole, held their breaths in terror, watching as the littlest trooper began to stalk grimly across the room toward her tormentors. It was a tradition to not interfere in someone else's fight, but, for all her comic fierceness, Dust Might was family, and no one wanted to see their littlest sister get hurt. There was no doubt in anyone's mind what the outcome of such a brawl would be, since it was doubtful that Might could hold her cool while taking on the three loud mouths, much less all at the same time, which was clearly her intent.

Chairs scraped quietly along the floor as the company struggled with their decision. The only thing that was clear, was that if Might got hurt, the trio would find it impossible to leave the lounge in one piece, public relations be damned.

"Might?" rumbled Yasir's voice at once rasping and melodic. "Captain says, if you bust place up, you pay...all damages."

The littlest soldier pivoted around, eyes seeking the highest in command to protest such a charge. As she searched, her opponents looked at the figure between them and their intended prey.

Yaks of Yak-Yakistan are impressive if encountered by the light of day, similar in build to the Buffalo of the south west. In a dimly lit lounge, with low ceilings, Yasir's movements were comparable to a wall, which decided to walk up to your own stool...if a wall had a large misshapen head, massive horns, and a rough dark brown coat of thick fur.

The trio stood as one, only to discover they had already done the act without thinking when the wall appeared. To explain, they became aware that they were already standing... Yasir was really that large!

"Er...you mean, she's with you?" one of them managed to say.

"Uh, he means," the other injected, "if we fight her, we have to fight you?"

"Oh, Might?' No...She not need my assistance. Much meaner...lot meaner!"

The trio, as one, swallowed hard and looked towards Dust Might again.

"Need advice?" Yasir pressed eagerly. "Leave, no get hurt. If stay, then somebody get hurt...maybe terrible."

The sincerity and concern in both the Yak's voice and expression was easily read by the trio. Suddenly aware of their mortality, the cowed youths quickly deposited some money upon the bar and made a hasty retreat before Dust Might could catch Iron Lotus's eye.


After the "Dust Might in the Lounge" episode, it was thus only natural that she and Yasir be partnered. The full effect that the fiery little Pegasus and the gentle giant of a yak would have on each other was not even suspected until later that evening. Unlike the lounge incident, there was no foreshadowing or warning of the mine that was to be stepped upon.


For the soldier that wanted to relax, read, or enjoy a quiet conversation, there was no better place than the Plaza restaurant. It was more spacious than the hotel rooms, its lights offered a calm atmosphere, and it had fine taste in its cuisine. Many soldiers could be seen within, and that was what Ace was looking for when she stopped for a late night cup of coffee and relaxing conversation before turning in.

She scanned the room with her mug floating beside her, spotting Yasir poring over a stack of papers.

"Yasir!" she said, sashaying over to his table with a practiced ease, so much so she hardly ever noticed she did so these days. "How are things between yourself and the runt? Won't let you read in the room?"

The Yak gazed at her with black marble eyes, regarding her for a moment. "Ace, no call her runt. She does not like."

"What? No offense. I get the runt's sensitive bout-"

"No...call...runt!" Yasir growled, getting to his hooves.

"Cool it, Yasir," she cautioned. "What's bugging you, anyway?"

"YOU CALL RUNT, SHE HEARS, SHE GET MAD. YOU FIGHT, MAYBE HURT. NO MORE CALLING HER RUNT!"

The whole room was watching the confrontation of the company's titans now, and the top sergeant was suddenly aware of her status and authority being challenged.

"Look, Yasir!" she growled back. "Nobody tells me how to talk-not! If I call Dust Might a runt, I will...and no-"

The Yak slammed his head against hers, sending her sprawling backward head over hooves. The rest of the room stared in stunned silence as the supposed pacifist among them loomed over their fallen sergeant, trembling with fury.

"I WARNED, I SAID, NO CALL RUNT!"

Ace slowly rose from the floor, rubbing her forehead. Long has it been since she was challenged physically, the sergeant cracked her neck, pumping her forelegs.

"I believe this is my dance!" she growled, suddenly reaching for the yak.


The 1st Lieutenant adjusted her uniform, letting forth a long sigh when she heard the pounding of the suite's door, it angle of sound meaning only one pony could be the perpetrator.

"Come in, Dust Might." she called as the assault continued.

The diminutive Pegasus was kind enough to open the door, as opposed to going through it.

"First Lieutenant! Did you know that my partner is over at the infirmary, counting his newly regrown teeth! That the doc says he'll be out of action with a minor concussion?"

"Believe me, I am well aware of the situation."

"And what of that nag Ace, you know what she did! With her bare hooves!"

"I do."

"Well, what are you going to do about it?"

Lotus regarded her carefully. "Nothing."

"No-...But...she-"

"Has chosen not to bring your partner up on military charges. Thus doing nothing seems to be the best outcome."

"Ch...charges? I...I don't understand, Lieutenant er, ma'am." Dust Might wilted in confusion.

"Dust, please, sit down." Lotus gestured to a seat with her wing. "Understand that, if I were to take official notice of what happened, then I'll have to acknowledge all the eyewitness accounts of Yasir striking Sergeant Ace... an attack which ended when she body slammed him into the ground...knocking him cold, in self-defense I might add. I don't want to do that, and so unless that nag, as you've called her, decides to press charges, I'm willing to ignore the whole event, and I feel the Captain would agree."

Dust ground her teeth fiercely for a moment, then growled. "No, no way, Yasir is the nicest soul in this company, harmony with an H. He wouldn't take to offing Ace like that, no sir!"

"Dust...let me ask you." the nocturne sighed. "Would you rumble with Ace?"

The tiny trooper grimaced, shaking her head. "Oh no, no way, I'd rather buck an apple than tangle with an ursa in pony flesh," she admitted. "Even if I kept my cool and remembered my lessons, she'd peel me like a grape. That's one mean mare, sir er ma'am."

Lotus nodded sagely in agreement. "Unfortunately, that is the substance of this confrontation."

"Sir?"

"Dust Might, it would seem that Ace, was referring to you, regarding your height, and Yasir was terrified that, if she spoke out about you while you were around, you would choose to confront her, and possibly be gravely injured."

"Ahh, shucks. You can say that again. Why, she could..." Dust froze as the implication sank in. "Wait...wait Yasir, old Yasir did that...for me?"

"According to accounts. It seems he figured he had better odds against our Sergeant Ace. Of course, he doesn't have your training. He did show guts though, fortunately we can take that as a figurative statement, as opposed to a literal one."

Dust Might shook her head. "It don't cut it against an earthquake, I know that for a fact!"

"He did it to protect his partner," Lotus reinforced. "I might suggest you consider the same."

"Ma'am?"

"Dust, do consider this. Yasir, who has never raised a hoof in anger before, is fighting to protect you from your temper. If you cannot control yourself for your own sake, you must instead, think about his, before you fly off the-"

A gentle knock at the door interrupted them. With a polite summon from Lotus, the company's first sergeant eased into the room.

"Evening, Lieutenant, Private Dust Might."

Dust Might assumed the polite greeting with the warmth of an icicle, Lotus herself, remained unruffled.

"Good evening Sergeant Ace," she greeted. "I assume you are here about Yasir?"

"Er...no actually. I wanted to speak to Dust Might. Troops said she was here."

"Well, ya found me, whaddya want?"

Ace winced slightly. "Well, Dust, I wanted to say I'm sorry."

"...what?"

"I'm sorry...yeah. I've been thinking a bit about what happened, and truth is, I pushed the line, broke it even. Easy to say no offense, ya know, but...well, guess I just never thought bout how the teasing bugs ya. Dust, if anyone should know it, feeling needled bout looks or size...it's me. I didn't think better, and of all things, I caused our teddy bear ta slug me, so just...so yeah, sorry, I'll try to watch it in the future."

"I...thanks Ace, I really do appreciate it. I think Yasir is the one who needs apologizing...from both of us I think."

Ace offered a small demure smile, Iron herself suddenly struck by how much of a starlet the mare could have been, if she hadn't enlisted. "No hard feelings then?"

Dust Might watched as Ace extended a hoof, then quickly accepted it, shaking it solemnly.

"That's all I wanted to say Dust, figure, we could get a drink, washing the slate with a bit over a brew, and share a few size jokes?" she offered a small chuckle.

"I'd like that, could do that now, after saying heya to Yasir, Lieutenant?"

"Move along soldiers, I need to prepare for a small meeting with the Captain, so that I can be informed of his recent meetings." Lotus made a shoeing motion.

The two nodded, leaving the nocturne to prepare for her meeting with their CO. All the while her ears picked up the minor conversation they were having.

"Heard you were pretty good in a fight when staying cool." said Ace.

"Sure, comes with having four older brothers..." a minor pause came from Might before "what didja mean bout buggin, and needling me?"

"Ahh Dust, I was-"

"I'm just kidding ya, you’re paying for the drinks though."


Downy entered into the suite, and regarded Lotus with a curt nod, one she responded to in kind.

"So how were the meeting?" she asked. "I would hope that things went well overall?"

"The Mayor has proven to be a sharp minded individual, respectfully." he leaned back in his chair. "Takes real grit to still be mayor here after all this place has been through."

---

"It is my pleasure to welcome you to Ponyville Captain Range." Mayor Mare said jovially, side stepping a panicked mare galloping by with stacks of papers. "Though I must say, it is a surprise you waited so long."

"Apologies ma'am, but I found it most important to take account of the troops and the base, both of which were in a dire need of fixing." Captain Down offered a curt nod. "I hope you don't mind."

"Oh no, not at all, it is good to hear you are seeing to the need of the fort, and its people." the mayor chimed in, leaning over to give a quick hoof stamp upon a floating set of papers. "I would be gravely disappointed if you came here first thing, all pomp and show. My apologies as well, it is always busy here."

"Hah, a show horse really doesn't do me well." Down laughed. "Mayor...uh."

"Mayor Mare, please, I know." she offered a grin. "Who names their child after a position in government, could you imagine me working anywhere else?"

"Certainly an oddity!" laughed Down. "So, pleasures out of the way, I have come with a minor worry from my troops."

"It must be in regard to the color guard." the mayor hummed. "Unfortunately the papers were sent months ago, and accepted, I could not turn away the Royal Guard, especially in regards to Twilight...but."

"But?"

"A cooperative effort between the Royal Guard, and the Royal Army would certainly put quite a show for the coming festivities, but it also requires that your troops...shape up." she leveled a stare at Down.

Downy sighed. "I understand that, under previous command, this company has lapsed into unprofessionalism, but I intend to shape them up into a cohesive unit, as I told them, I won't seek out the fabled golden toy soldier, I only ask that they present their best, and I hope that I can garner the respect of the Royal Guard in doing so."

"Perhaps a competition." Mayor Mare adjusted her glasses in thought. "Yes...perhaps, even using it to garner more favor and light for Ponyville, Celestia knows, we need more respect from the lords up on the mountain."

"I'll see to it that the troops will present themselves as a shining example of military harmony." Down affirmed. "Will that do?"

"Time will certainly tell Captain, time will tell, but I do accept the terms." Mayor agreed. "Though I am an easy mare to discuss such things with, you'll find the local police to have bit of a bur in their hides, due to past....occurrences."

"Anything I should know?"

"The chief is a tyrannical old goat, though he has his heart in the right place, unfortunately laws from the lords have sadly made things difficult for him, along with budget cuts. The whole department has been turned into a poor reflection of its former glory." the mayor sighed. "He still bends the rules of the lords where he can, paperwork and all, but unfortunately he'll feel that your position threatens his own in terms of the political power balance."

"I see, well then Mayor...uh...Mayor Mare, I thank you for the polite discussion." Down Ranged adjusted his cap between the fins of his ears. "Perhaps, I can keep things smooth between the PD and my company."

"Perhaps, Celestia willing, perhaps." Mayor Mare replied.

---

"Well, she certainly sounds like a mare with a good head on her shoulders." Lotus nodded. "Would it be, if only, that our lords and ladies of the high court could have such noble intentions."

"Sure, perhaps if we convinced the elements to harmonize em all." Down offered with a chuckle.

"So then, the police was every bit of trouble as the Mayor predicted?"

"Who boy..." came his reply.

---

Chief Little, contrary to his name, was a sizable earth pony who would look more at home pacing the sidelines of a hoofball game than sprawled behind a desk. His brown mane was close-shaved, in an unsuccessful effort to hide his receding hairline, accented by his pumpkin orange fur, striped with blue accents. The rolled-up sleeves of his wilted white shirt were tight around his forelegs, showing no trace of fat. His smile was difficult to differentiate from a scowl and clenched jaw failed to completely disappear...and he was certainly not smiling now.

If anything, his expression held all the warmth and affection one normally reserves for the deposit left on one's new carpet by a puppy, which would be a generous interpretation of his feelings for the slim figure in black who had come to roost in his office.

"Now let me see if I've got this right, General..."

"Captain," Down replied, but Little continued without caring.

"You went and tucked your pretty little troops into the settlement, while your barracks and grounds are getting a touch up..."

"That would be correct."

"And so, near two hundred soldiers are strutting and swaggering around my streets, in uniform, like peacocks calling for trouble."

"Well, I certainly wouldn't put it that way...-"

"Well, I Celestia damn well would!" Little snarled, surging to the edge of his seat. "Those tin cans of yours are going to be like red flags in the face of every street-tough bull who wants to see how they stack up against a genuine army type."

Downy let the army slur slide for the moment. "Chief Little...really, my troops have been in town before. Why should there be any difference now?"

"Difference is there are two Luna damned hundred of em!" the chief roared. "Before, they weren't in large enough packs to test the hard water, now they are! You've evened up the odds, sure as Celestia's fat flanks! Now they'll want to go anywhere and do anything, and you can bet your ass there will be trouble!"

"I see." Down gave a thin smile. "I guess I overestimated the control the police have over this quaint town. My sources did not describe this town as a hotbed of crime ready to explode."

Little's face puffed out with storm clouds, the sight of which sent many in the past running for the hills. "Now just a Luna damned minute! Aside from the monster of the week, we've got the lowest crime rate of any..."

As quickly as it began, the storm blew over, leaving only a ruddy hue in its wake, and even that began to slowly fade away as the Chief hung his head and stared at the files on his desk.

Down Range waited patiently.

"You almost had me going there, General," said Little through clenched teeth. "Any particular reason you tugging my chain?"

"Oh come now Chief, I've no chain in my hooves to go tugging on." replied Downy. "By your words, my troops haven't been able to go anywhere or do anything in the past. Since they have the same rights as any citizen to enjoy what the settlement has to offer, and their money is certainly welcome anywhere I know of in the settlement, I fail to see where my 'evening the odds' is anything I should apologize for or correct... and it's 'Captain,' not 'General.'"

The chief's face split into a tight grin. "Oh sure, never paid much mind to rank with you soldier boys. Fact is, I just ignore 'em altogether... course now if they step out of line. Well, I treat 'em like I would anyone else disturbing the peace or otherwise breaking the law. Fair enough?"

"Well, Corporal..."

"Chief!"

"Oh dear." Downy showed his teeth. "I merely assumed, that since rank was unimportant..."

He allowed the sentence to hover in the air before Small's glaring eyes.

"Fine...Captain."

"Indeed. Now then, Chief, I'm afraid that my troops aren't to be treated exactly like any other lawbreaker. In accordance to our laws, they will be turned over to the local command-in this case, me-for disciplinary actions before being passed over to a civil trial."

"Oh, there is, is there?"

"Certainly," the captain said firmly. "I could have my second in command provide you with a copy of-"

"Oh, I'm familiar with the supposed law," the chief interrupted. "It's just that, usually, when we've taken one of your wayward little foals into custody and called your base, nothing ends up happening, and I'm stuck with a deadbeat in my cell. So forgive my surprise at the concern for proper procedure."

"Different commanders, different priorities." answered Downy. "I'm sure the same is true with your line of work. In my company, I will not have a soldier left to rot in one of your cells... provided we're duly informed the moment they have been restrained, that is. I trust you'll see to it that word is passed to us on a timely basis?"

"Certainly, you'll know." Small smirked. "Of course, whether or not it's on a timely basis will probably depend on whether or not anyone's answering the phone at your end."

"I can pass you the necessary information required to get in touch with me."

"You sure are prim and proper for a Captain who just told me I wouldn't have any trouble from your crew. Why so eager to know if there is any trouble now?"

"I believe I said I didn't expect there'd be any more trouble than usual," the commander corrected. "I'm not trying to kid you. We both know there's bound to be some incidents. I merely wish to establish a positive rapport between us."

"Well then how bout you rapport this to me, how's a low branch organization like yours, perched in a place like the Plaza?"

"Well as you know, it is considered poor manners by the military to ask-"

"I don't happen to be part of the military, Captain. I'm charged with trying to keep this damned town from falling apart, beast of the week aside. I find it suspect to have folks who throw round large hunks of bits with no visible income to explain it. Makes me feel nervous, and when I'm nervous, I get paranoid, get it?"

"Well, the name Captain D-Range, is courtesy of the military, you may also know me as Down Range, of Range Works. The military’s so called attempt to hide my name, I'm surprised you haven't figured that out for yourself."

"Oh, oh swell!" Little spat, ignoring Downy's little dig. "If there's anything I hate more, it’s a tin soldier who buys his way out of trouble. Well, I'll tell you this, buddy, the law here isn't for sale. Keep your tins clean, they hassle me or my officers, I'm liable to play kick the can."

"You will turn them over to me with not a mark on them, is that clear." Down Range growled.

"Well, we don't do unnecessary roughness after cuffing a perp, if that's what you’re implying."

"Then there shouldn't be any trouble." Down smiled. "Chief Smalls. I didn't come here to pick a fight, or throw my weight. I don't know how the other officers have treated you, but I come to you here, fresh as dew upon the dawn grass, willing to co-operate, at least give me the benefit for having shown some courtesy."

"And what, let you trot all over me like a Canterlot noble?"

"Chief Smalls." Downy let loose with an exasperated tone. "I have not dragged my name, money, or any other source of power over you, and I will not. I am here to merely let you know that we are temporarily stationed in town, and that the company will be willing to work in cooperation with your officers on an auxiliary basis should any trouble arise."

The chief cocked his head to one side. "If I understand you correctly, Captain, even though you're new, the troops under your command are the same ones who have been stationed here for the last year?"

"That is correct."

"Then frankly I can't think of a situation desperate enough that I'd want to work with them" - he flashed a wolfish smile-"but I do appreciate the offer to help us poor flathoofs out. Now, get out of my office and let me get some work done."

---

"Rude, I dare say." Lotus affirmed.

"Perhaps a bit, but then the Mayor...Mayor Mare wasn't joking when she said the nobles have effectively noosed his neck, to keep this place from shinning any better."

"Mayor Mayor Mare?"

"Yeah... it’s her name, one mayor in it that is, still, the current situation does make me wonder, about why I was assigned here." Downy began rubbing his chin in thought.

"Perhaps, as I warned before, it is a situation meant to be considered the impossible task."

"Perhaps...or perhaps someone in the brass actually cares for this place, and is giving me a chance to show the upper echelon what I can do."

"Ever the optimist Captain, be it as it may, if you were to have but a single friend watching from the leaves of other officers, which is still only one. You will need to gather quite a flock of supporters before any respect will be leveled at you."

"Your right, as usual." Downy groaned. "D-Range...seriously, it’s a joke of a cover name, I wouldn't be surprised if the media begins sniffing around here...oh blast it."

"Sir?"

"I nearly forgot, Tandoori is having his cook off before the Plaza's head chef." Downy groaned.

"As the saying goes, Captain." Lotus gently patted his back. "You reap what you sow, and that doesn't even include the idea that the field you are tending to, has already been seen to."

"I need a drink." Downy groaned. "Zebrican folk are said ta be good with their mixes. I only hope the same applies to their cooking."

"I'll be all to happy to enjoy the meal that he prepares, sir." Lotus then leveled a sinister grin. "After you've had the first bite."

Author's Note:

Next up, the media, Zebra cooking, and a meeting with the brass!