• Published 23rd Sep 2016
  • 1,638 Views, 80 Comments

The D.S.P.I. - DungeonMiner



More than 200 years after the return of Princess Luna, Spike the Dragon runs the most powerful secret of Canterlot, The Department of Supernatural and Paranormal Investigation. And he will use it for one thing. Revenge.

  • ...
3
 80
 1,638

Operation Lost Hawk

Spike continued through the pages on his desk, longing for the days where the Department wasn’t so steeped in bureaucracy.

He took a drag on his cigarette, breathing in the paper smoke and letting it settle in his lungs before expelling it in a nice, smooth breath.

Another signature, and he moved on to the next form.

The door slammed open, and Velvet ran in, a panicked look on her face. “We have a situation!”

Spike moved without so much as blinking, shifting the papers to the side a clearing his desk. “What’s the problem?”

“We have zombies, Baltimare area.”

Spike nodded. “Get Manticore, Caramel, and Alpha Team to the situation room A.S.A.P.”

Velvet nodded, before rushing out of the room.

And Spike took another drag on the cigarette and sighed.

Time to test the rookies.

But why did it have to always be a trial by fire?

===ᐁ===

Team Alpha sat at their table, eating away while they laughed and talked among each other. With the exceptions of Silver and Mandible of course, both of whom stayed quiet, the first out of principal, the other out of sheer spite.

“And then he says to me, ‘You can’t park here, this is private property,’ and I tell him ‘I know it is, why do you think I’m here?’” one of the stallions regaled, recounting one of his worst experiences as a driver for private cart service. “So, long story short, he doesn’t know I’ve been called here, and holds me up for half-an-hour at the gate! He would have even held me longer if not for—”

The crackling of a loudspeaker broke the story in an instant, and a voice echoed over the mess hall. “Attention! Alpha Team! Report to the Situation room immediately! This is not a drill! Report immediately!”

Silver began spooning the salad from his plate into his mouth, trying to finish his meal as fast as possible, before shouldering his pneumatic crossbow. Everyone else in his team blinked, before they all quickly followed suit, stuffing their faces before running after Silver with all haste.

Weapons were shouldered, the last plates of armor strapped on, and food was frantically chewed as they ran through the facility, moving to the executive wing.

The situation room was a large, board-meeting-esque room with a large table dominating its center. A map of Equestria sat on the table, underneath a heavy pane of glass. Spike, Caramel Crystal, Velvet Storm, and Fluttershy were all there, waiting for them. The headless horse held up various forms for her head while Velvet was running about, setting forms, and looking generally panicked.

Fluttershy, on the other hand, seemed to command the room. She stood almost taller than before, and a scowl seemed to be branded on her face. She glared at the soldiers as they walked in, and even Silver was slightly unnerved by her.

Spike, however, simply sat at the head of the table, continuing to smoke the tobacco-less cigarettes. “Alpha Team, it’s time for your first mission. You’re going to Baltimare, to face some zombies. Velvet, fill them in.”

“Yes, sir!” she said, before turning to the collected soldiers. “We have a zombie outbreak out in the outer fields of Baltimare. Normally not a big issue, we could set you up in a building, and you could mow them all down by daybreak. Unfortunately, we have reports of a survivor in the area.”

The glass on the table shimmered, and the face of a pony magically formed and floated before them. “A pegasus named Cedar Leaf. He’s wounded, and unable to evacuate.” A flash, and his face disappeared, being replaced by a semi-transparent farmstead with three buildings, a barn, farmhouse, and a storehouse. “Our last report has him in an abandoned barn,” Velvet explained, as the building slowly disassembled, revealing the floor plans, and a glowing yellow dot.

“Your first priority is saving the civilian,” Spike said. “As such, heavy weapons, demolitions, and sniper classes are to stay close to his location. Assault, support, medic, scout and infiltration classes will be up front in the fields. Manticore,” he said, motioning to Fluttershy, “will lead the field team while I will lead the team inside.”

“You’re coming with us?” a mare from the team asked.

“No,” Fluttershy replied sarcastically. “I’m going to be leading you from my easy chair.”

Spike sighed. “Yes, we’re going with you, it’s the best way to give proper orders and stay up-to-date.”

“But what about you two?” the mare asked.

Fluttershy barked a laugh.

“Don’t worry about us. Now, unless there are any questions, we need to move out. We won’t have much time,” Spike said.

“That’s...actually my question,” Silver said, speaking up. “How are we going to get to Baltimare in time? Form the sounds of it, we only have a few minutes, or an hour at best before Cedar loses any chance of being saved. How are we going to make it?”

And Spike smiled.

===ᐁ===

It was a Delta-class Airship: Specialization Heli-ship, or DASH.

It was perhaps the strangest acronym Silver had heard, but Spike assured them that the long, thin, airship with the bright red envelope and the massive, lighting bolt-shaped prow was the fastest thing in the sky.

The cabin of the airship was surprisingly small, no bigger than a classroom, although a large portion of it was dominated by a coffin that Fluttershy immediately claimed. “Wake me when we get there,” she said, climbing in.

“Is that…” Neon Kick began, staring at the vampires as she slipped into the wooden box.

“Normal? For her it is,” Spike said, behind him as he stepped in. “Tinker?”

An earth pony stood at the front of the cabin, checking dials and flipping switches. “Ready, sir!”

Spike nodded. “Take a seat everypony, the DASH-1 can kick a bit.”

Alpha team obeyed, taking to the seats the ran along the sides of the cabin as the pilot pulled down a speaker mic that connected to a hidden PA system. “Good evening fillies and gentlecolts, my name is Tinker Bolt, and I will be your pilot this evening. It’s going to be a three minute trip to Baltimare from our HQ here in the San Palomino desert, so I would suggest that you buckle up. The Commander doesn’t need to scrape you off the back of the cabin.”

The airship suddenly jostled, as if coming free, and the whirring of gears could be heard outside. Silver turned, staring out the window behind him, and could see moonlight pouring through from above.

The DASH-1 floated into the air, lifting easily as they began to pass yard after yard of concrete. Silver blinked, and before he knew it, they had passed a set of steel doors, both five feet thick.

And then, in another second, they were off, disappearing into the night sky.

Neon was sitting next to Silver as the ship rocked and rumbled, speeding past the ground below. The DJ-turned-soldier looked carefully around the cabin, before he whispered to Silver. “Do you think we can trust Mandible?”

“What?” Silver asked.

“The changeling, do you think we can trust him?

Silver shook his head. “Of course not,” he said, simply, “but, he’s going to do his job.”

“He is?”

Silver nodded. “Let’s just say there are measures in place to catch him.”

“You sure?”

“How did you think we caught him in the first place?” Silver asked.

“Hey!” Fluttershy said, throwing the coffin door open. “I’m trying to sleep!”

And they said no more.

===ᐁ===

The DASH-1 was hovering over Baltimare in no more than three minutes of departure. Massive floodlights, connected to the hull of the ship, lit the field and farmhouse beneath it, leaving no shadows except those cast by the writhing forms of the zombies beneath.

The cargo bay door of the DASH-1, situated at the back of the cabin slowly dropped open, and ropes dropped to the ground below. The earth ponies and unicorns repelled to the ground, while those who had wings used them. Massive propellers turned sideways, holding the DASH-1 still in the air as the team hit the ground.

“Field team, follow Manticore, house team with me!” Spike said, speaking into a radio headset. “Thundercloud, report in!”

“Thundercloud reporting in, Commander,” Tinker answered inside the headset, heard by everyone present.

“Manticore?”

“Hear you loud and clear,” she answered, galloping into the field with Silver, Neon, Amber, Mandible, and the scout that Silver still could not name.

“Alright, Medic,” Spike called.

“Sir?” Amber Breeze answered.

“We will need you to fly back here when we need you, be ready for that.”

“Yes, sir!” she answered.

“Alright, rookies,” Fluttershy said, skidding to a halt, “Scout, run up ahead, see if you can’t find a source, or try to get the zombies coming to us.”

“Yes ma’am!” the scout said, before running ahead, horn shining as he leveled his pneumatic crossbow.

“The rest of you, form up. Get ready for the hordes.”

“Yes, miss Fluttershy,” Neon answered.

“Manticore!” Fluttershy growled. “The name is Manticore. I am not that spineless wimp!”

Neon blinked, pulling away from the sudden outburst.

She growled, again. “She’s a worthless wimp, and I’d be running this show, if she weren’t friends with the freakin’ god of chaos!”

Neon slowly backed away, quickly regretting ever speaking.

Another growl, and Manticore grunted. “Just shoot the zombies, alright?”

“Yes, Ma’am!” he replied.

Silver noted this, but said nothing, raising his crossbow and the silver and obsidian blade.

This was going to be an interesting night.

===ᐁ===

Spike and company burst into the room, his own, special pistol in his hand while his free claw stood outstretched.

The heavy weapons pony instantly turned, setting up his experimental mini-cannon to hit anything coming towards them. The Demolitions pony was outside, if she followed orders correctly, and was setting up mines and preparing her portable potion cannon with molotovs and acids.

Silk Star was setting up in the barn, checking her weapon to support the field troops.

All these action ran on the holo-magical eye display that R&D was trying to push for production. It also, quite nicely, gave him a nice readout and image of Cedar Leaf. “Are you Cedar?” he asked, addressing the cowering pegasus knowing full well that it was exactly who that was.

“Stay back!” the pegasus whimpered.

“Are you Cedar Leaf?” Spike repeated, trying to get an answer.

“I don’t want to die!” he whined.

Spike slapped him gently on the cheek, as though he were trying to wake him. “Hey! Hey! Listen to me! Are you Cedar Leaf?”

The pegasus’ eye slowly focused on the dragon before him, and a panic was glowing behind them. “Hah-huh-w-who are you?” he asked.

Finally responsive.

“We’re the DSPI. We’re here to save you, Cedar.”

“The who?”

“We are here to save you, do you understand?” Spike repeated.

“I understand?” he said, unsure.

“Good. Can you walk?” Spike asked.

“N-No…” he replied. “They broke one of my legs, and my wings are broken too.”

Spike swore. “Looks like we’re in for the long haul, fillies and colts. We can’t get Cedar out of here safely. We’re going to have to thin the zombies first.”

“Wasn’t that the plan anyway, sir?” the heavy weapons pony asked.

“The plan was pull him out, and then hit the zombs from Thundercloud,” he replied. “Now we need to do some pest control from the ground.” Spike readjusted the grip his handgun, with the six pointed star etched into the handle, before checking the firing crystal matrix.

“Alright, Twi…” he whispered to the gun. “Let’s go. After all, I need my number one assistant.”

===ᐁ===

Stainless Spur, Scout of Alpha Team, ran forward, holding his light pneumatic crossbow close to his chest as the undead shambled toward him. They weren’t as bad as the ones he had seen in movies, most were intact, and fresh. In fact, if you cleaned the blood from their mouths and the dead, glazed eyes, they could almost pass for the living.

The thing that gave them away, however, was the smell. A horrid mix of sewage, body odor, and rotting meat assaulted his nose at every turn, and Stainless Spur was doing everything he could to keep himself from gagging.

What he saw did not fill him with confidence either. Everywhere he looked there were zombies, and they were getting thicker the further in he went. The magically enhanced horseshoes he wore allowed him to zip between the zombies’ hooves, but as the crowd thickened, he was less and less willing to move in between them.

“There are a lot of them out here,” he said, nervously.

“Not a real surprise,” Manticore answered through his headset. “The important thing is where are they coming from?”

“Everywhere!” Stainless Spur said. “They’ve all but surrounded the farm, and—Sweet Celestia!”

A zombie had appeared out of nowhere, moaning and assaulting Spur’s nose with the awful reek of the undead. Spur practically spun on his hooves, and if it were not for his enhanced speed, he would have been caught in a crushing bear hug.

“Scout?” Spike’s voice called. “Are you still with us?”

“Yes, sir,” he answered, before firing a bolt into the monster’s head. “One of them snuck up on me is all.”

“They do that,” Manticore told him. “Keep your eyes open, that’s how they get you.”

“Where did they all come from?”

“Graveyards,” Manticore answered.

“What?” Silver’s voice asked over the line.

“Despite what you might have seen in the movies, Assault,” Spike said, “Zombieism is not a virus. Equestria has so many ley lines running through it that if anyone messes with magic, anywhere on the entire, dumb planet, we get the magic backlash. If there’s a necromancer in Cowmandu, or an oil spill of the coast of Saddle Arabia, our ground gets magically charged. Every now and then, it builds up and gets released in a massive, nation-wide burst that has a chance of kick-starting the electrical impulses in the brain of the deceased. The result is a mindless, incredibly primitive, pseudo-lifeform. The Zombie.”

There was a beat of silence across all lines.

“It didn’t use to be a big problem, not until about seventy years ago. That’s when Griffonstone’s electrical power demands skyrocketed,” the dragon explained.

“A-a...C-Commander, are you serious?”

Manticore laughed. “The rookies never believe it.”

“They don’t need to believe it,” Spike said. “They just need to shoot the creeps in the head. Scout, rendezvous with Manticore. Stick together, we don’t need to lose you to a random ghoul.”

“Yes, sir,” he replied, before he began running back.

Stainless Spur just wished they could use their names.

===ᐁ===

Silver’s blade cut through the air, and digging straight into a zombie’s brainpan. Sweat was running down his head, and a he couldn’t help but pant as the horde around him simultaneously moaned and staggered toward him and the farmhouse behind him.

When the horde had finally stepped completely into the DASH-1’s floodlights, Silver had been slightly perturbed by Manticore’s groan of disappointment. “Is this it? Celestia’s Crown, Scout! You made me think I was going to have fun here! This is like, three hundred zombies, max!” And then she just wandered off into the giant crowd of zombies, mumbling to herself.

On the one hoof, the fact that he hadn’t seen her since was more than slightly worrying, on the other, the fact that Commander Spike didn’t seem worried, meant that she was probably okay.

Probably.

A burst of fire from his pneumatic crossbow riddled another zombie as he tried to juggle his weapons. He was doing okay, honestly, he had already taken ten or so of the shambling corpses, without giving any ground. Neon was cursing behind him, almost panicking as he emptied magazine after magazine into the oncoming ghouls.

Amber was hovering nearby, eyes wide and on the verge of tears as she fired her bolts. Unlike Neon, however, she was doing her best to make her shots count. She was taking huge, almost exaggerated breaths in order to keep her shots steady and accurate.

The Scout, whatever his name was, was running back and forth, speeding along on magical horseshoes, and making sudden, close-range shots with his dual, light pneumatic crossbows, mounted on a special brace that kept his hooves free.

Mandible was nearby, cursing as he disappeared and reappeared thanks to his so-called “mirror cloak,” firing every time he came back to shoot a zombie in the face with his own light crossbow. “I was not properly armed for this!”

Silver suddenly felt a pair of hooves grab him, and he spun his head around just in time to see a zombie bearing down on him, mouth open and ready to bite.

And then the zombie’s head turned to ash as a bright, red beam shot by.

Silver pushed the body away, shaking, before he took a breath to try and compose himself. Silently, he thanked Celestia that he didn’t have time to scream, but he couldn’t convince himself that his heart was beating at a thousand times a second. “T-thanks, Sniper.”

“Just keep your eyes open, Assault,” Silk answered back.

Silver grimaced. He was supposed to be the veteran here. He was the one with the guard training. He was supposed to be better than this. Gritting his teeth, he gripped his sword tighter, and leapt forward, chopping into the zombie ranks with renewed fervor.

And then he heard laughing.

He fired another bolt into a zombie, narrowly avoiding another bite, and quickly looked around, searching for the source.

And then he saw the shower of blood.

A literal wave of visceral geysers burst into the air, and Silver had just enough time to see a blood-stained, yellow-and-pink blur burst by. Zombies went flying in the wake of the vampire, practically exploding as Manticore destroyed them.

What she was doing, Silver would never know, as she was simply moving too fast for his eyes to properly see. What he could see, however, was the smile of utter, terrifying ecstasy on her face. Punches from her caused undead torsos to disintegrate, and Silver could swear she literally ripped one or two of them in half with her bare hooves.

In a matter of a little more than a second, she had cleared the space around her of zombies completely, and smiled as a long, triangular tongue slowly pushed its way past her fangs. She licked the blood clean from her hooves, enjoying every drop of the crimson liquid, greedily slurping her hooves clean, and loving every second of it.

The sight was absolutely, morbidly captivating.

Silver watched, horrified and fascinated, and he did not look away until he heard a scream behind him.

The Scout had been standing still, perhaps as fascinated as he had been with Manticore’s display, and had not noticed a pair of zombies approach him. Another scorching shot from the TS longrifle turned one of the zombies into a burnt matchstick, but the other zombie was already on him. There was a scream, the sound of ripping flesh, and a moan, and the next thing Silver knew, the Scout was down, bleeding from where his leg once was.

Silver turned, firing a burst, and the zombie’s head became a pincushion. “Medic!” he cried as the zombie went down.

Amber was on him in a second, fumbling as she tried to find the proper syringe that had been strapped to her hind leg.

“Get him out of here!” Manticore growled, tearing her attention away from the blood on her hooves. “Take him to the Commander, he can rest at the farmhouse.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” Amber cried, before pulling the stallion onto her withers, before flying for the farmhouse.

“Now,” Manticore said, with a smile. “Where was I?”

===ᐁ===

Amber burst through the doorway, flying past the heavy weapons pony. She panted as she prepared her syringes, stabbing him in his stump to try and staunch the flow of blood.

The heavy weapons pony cursed. “Hey, Medic, you might want to get upstairs.”

“What? Why?”

“You’ve brought some guests with you.”

Amber looked back, looking over the large pony’s shoulder, before she hissed a curse herself. A large crowd of zombies followed behind her, shambling behind moaning and hungry.

“I’ll take care of them,” he said. “Just get Scout upstairs.”

She nodded, before running inside, grabbing her patient and running upstairs. She slammed open the door to a room, fluttered in, barely recognizing the shivering form of Cedar Leaf hiding in the corner. Stainless Spur was falling in and out of consciousness, trying to hold on despite the pain and blood loss, and she did her best to keep him awake. “Hey, hey, stay with me!”

An explosion rocked the building from outside, and Amber fell to the ground. “Commander!” the Demolitions pony cried. “They’ve hit the perimeter I set up!”

Amber heard a sigh on the line. “I’ll be right there. Medic, keep Scout alive until I get there!”

She prepared another syringe, this one filled with synthetic blood. Hopefully enough to keep him alive.

“Medic! Answer!”

She jumped, before shaking herself. “Yes, sir! I understand!”

“Good.”

She shook, trying to keep it together, as the pony before her slowly died.

“Holy Celestia…” Cedar mumbled, staring at them both.

Amber kept working trying to keep him alive.

And slowly, so very slowly, the Scout began to mumble. “I’m sorry...I’m so sorry…”

===ᐁ===

Spike’s pistol rang like thunder as he pulled the trigger, and a super-dense mana crystal, shaped like a needle shot at supersonic speeds, ripping through the line of rotting flesh and tearing zombies to pieces.

Spike’s number one assistant barked needle after needle, kicking back with enough recoil that it could dislocate the arm of a normal pony. Spike was no pony, though, and every shot of his tore through zombie after zombie with ease. “Demo! Acid grenade there!” he ordered, pointing at a large herd of zombies.

The demolitions mare nodded, before preparing her Portable Potions Cannon with a bottle of magically enhanced Sodium Hydroxide. The potion loaded, she took aim, firing a long, arcing shot that hit the herd of zombies dead on. The dissolved lye splashed into the crowd, and quickly began eating away the flesh, sped up to an almost terrifying degree by a magical catalyst that was never divulged to her. “I think I prefer the molotovs,” she said, watching as the zombies began to turn to sludge before her.

“Yes, because having flaming zombies is so much better,” Spike replied. “Fire a bait grenade over by the mines,” he ordered, pointing to the side.

She obeyed, loading a foul-smelling potion into her PPC for another arcing shot. The bottle smashed, open, and a small breeze carried the awful reek over the zombies. They all turned as one, before marching towards the impact zone, ignoring where they stepped and the resulting explosions as the mines erupted.

“Good job, Demo. Can you handle it from here?”

“Yes, sir,” she answered.

“Good, I have to check on—”

“Oh Buck!” the heavy weapons pony said.

“Heavy?” Spike called.

“I’m out of ammo!” he called out, panic in his voice.

“I’ll be right there!” Spike called. “Try to keep your distance!”

“I’m—I’ll—Ah! Celestia! Help!”

“I’m coming!” Spike yelled, before his powerful, draconic legs sent him flying forward, running towards the farmhouse with a speed that left the demolitions pony gaping.

Spike came skidding around the farmhouse, sending a crystal needle directly into the heads and chest of more incoming zombies as he ran. He ran to the door, and saw the bodies of twenty dead zombies, and the Heavy weapons pony, torn apart by the strength of the zombies.

He didn’t stop, leaping over the dead soldier, and running to the stairs.

He heard the the screams of both Cedar and his Medic. He leapt up, firing his way through the zombies that were crowding up the stairs. His one-of-a-kind pistol tore through the zombie and passed through them, digging into the wood and stone behind them.

He spun into the room, claws ripping through zombie flesh, and his pistol rang out as the needles pinned them to the wall.

“I’ve got you!” he cried.

“We’re done out here!” Manticore reported. “We’re moving to support you now!”

Spike didn’t answer, but his aim was true, taking down the last four zombies is just as many shots.

Spike turned to the ponies in the room. “Are you alright?”

“S-Scout’s dead…” Amber muttered.

Spike nodded. “Cedar?”

“I-I’m here…” he muttered.

Spike nodded. “Alright. Thundercloud, get us out of here.”

===ᐁ===

When they finally returned to HQ, Silver was tired. Spike had apparently gone to debrief Cedar, and made a crack about wiping his memory.

Although, Silver did have to admit that he wasn’t sure the comment had in fact been a joke, but he just couldn’t care about it now. The mission was a success, even though two ponies had been lost, and Spike had almost been proud of the numbers. “Not bad for a rookie team.”

But Silver didn’t really care, he was too exhausted to do anything other than sleep. He trudged to his room, dragging his kit behind him, and slumped onto his bed. He rolled over, pulling to the covers over his head, hoping to hide from the world for a few hours.

And then came a soft knock on his door.

Groaning, Silver turned over, and saw the Medic, Amber Breeze standing in the doorway. “Um...hi…”

“Hey,” he grumbled, sitting up. “What is it?”

“Um...I...I know you’re probably tired...b-but I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight unless I tell you.”

“Tell me what?”

“S-Stainless Spur...before he died, he...he wanted me to tell you he was sorry.”

“What?”

“I-I don’t know, he just wanted to say he was sorry, for letting you down I guess?”

“No, why apologize to me?” he asked.

She blinked, confused. “Well...you’re the leader.”

“What?” he asked, now awake. “What are you talking about?”

“Commander Spike said you were team leader.”

“He did?” Silver asked.

She nodded.

“I...I…What?”

“Why do you think he recruited you?” a voice said, and both ponies looked up to see Sweetie Belle hovering above them.

“What are you talking about?” Silver asked.

“You, you’re a guard. You’ve had proper training for almost a full year. You have experience and training that no one else does. When Spike picks guards, he picks leaders.”

“Well why didn’t he tell me?” Silver yelled. “This is important! I...I don’t even—” He caught himself from finishing the sentence. He had almost said that he didn’t even know everypony’s name in front of the Medic, er, Amber.

“Because you took to it well enough during the training exercises.”

“That’s not the same!” Silver said. “All these ponies are looking up to me, and I had no idea!” Like the scout, who had apologized to him for dying.

The scout whose name he did not know.

Sweetie sighed. “Well that explains why Spike was not impressed with your performance.”

“I didn’t—!”

“I’ll talk to him,” Sweetie Belle said, “but now you have no excuse.”

Silver just stared, now fully awake as the ghost disappeared.

And suddenly, the weight of that apology, the last words of the scout, meant so much more.