• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 8,832 Views, 139 Comments

The Night Train - SociallyAwkwardPegasus



A human, scorned by the ponies he thought were friends, finds his way to the railroad tracks at night. As any sane pony will tell you, never travel the tracks at night. You just might not come back the same.

  • ...
27
 139
 8,832

But Where We Gonna Go?

Princess Celestia sat upon her throne in serenity. It was a slow day in Canterlot, one that gave the mare some time to herself between appointments with the petty squabbles of nobles. The mare closed her eyes for a moment, relishing in the soft rays of the sun along her coat. She was at peace as her mind soon lulled the mare into blissful thoughts. However, the echoing of the large, throne-room doors opening brought the mare back to reality, as she noticed a guard rushing towards her.

“Princess,” the stallion spoke before bowing quickly and righting himself. “There is trouble that requires your immediate attention. Eric Lancer disappeared from the town of Ponyville last night.” The guard watched as the expression of his beloved princess turned to one of annoyance.

“I know I should have kept him here in the castle,” Celestia mumbled under her breath. Standing from her throne, the mare spread her pristine wings as she summoned a particular guard from the corner of the room.

“Lieutenant Stonewall, I want you to gather a group of your best guards before setting off towards the town of Ponyville. Eric Lancer has gone missing and I want him back in this castle in no less than forty-eight hours. You are allowed to use force if the subject is unwilling to cooperate. Do I make myself clear?” The guard saluted the mare with a resound response.

“Yes Mam!” After a nod from the Princess, the Lieutenant left the throne room before heading towards the barracks.

“Princess, if I may ask. What is so important about this human?” The first guard questioned. Celestia let out a long sigh as she slowly walked over towards one of the large windows of the throne room. The view was captivating, as it accented her beautiful city of Canterlot and the ponies that inhabited it.

“Humans are an untrustworthy bunch of creatures. They are masters of war, able to lay destruction to any who stand in their way. They are intelligent, nimble, predators who prey on the weak,” Celestia stated with a scowl before turning towards her guard. “And they will not hesitate to stab you in the back for personal gain. Mark my words; humans are nothing but trouble, especially Eric Lancer. He possesses an intellect that far surpasses even my understanding. If left unchecked, I fear what sort of evil he will bring upon us all. He is without a doubt, the most dangerous creature to currently exist in Equestria.”

“Got any fours?” Eric casually asked. Lilith smiled at her friend before shaking her head.

“Go fish.” Eric scoffed under his breath as he grabbed a card from the top of the deck.

“So you never did tell me where we are going,” Eric added, as he relaxed into his seat while sipping on his fruity drink.

“I told you, it’s a surprise. Got any nines?” The human reluctantly handed the mare his card with a sigh, eliciting a faint giggle from across the table.

“Looks like I win again. I should have played this game with you the first time,” Lilith teased, bringing a smile to the human as he set his cards on the table.

“Yes you should have. Though you didn’t, which I am rather happy about.” A few moments of silence were shared between the two as Lilith used her magic to stack and reshuffle the deck.

“What’s it like, losing your soul?” Eric questioned. Lilith looked up from the cards on the table before musing over the question herself.

“I don’t really know. I heard it doesn’t really hurt and the transition is really fast. Most ponies die when they lose their soul, though there are a few who survive,” the mare finished as she dealt out the cards. The human picked up his hand before immediately pairing off a set of threes.

“And what happens to those who actually survive?” Lilith smiled softly as she set down a pair of fives and kings.

“I don’t really know. That isn’t really my department, so I couldn’t tell you,” she responded with a shrug of her shoulders. Eric frowned lightly at the response, though couldn’t really blame the mare. It wasn’t her fault that he was a curious human. Growing up, he would always question why something was the way it was. If he didn’t know the answer, he would try everything in his might to find it. This earned him a lot of respect from his teachers, though not so many points with other students. His over-developed curiosity made him in outcast in school. While this wasn’t really a bad thing in the human’s eyes, it did attract a lot of unwanted attention from bullies and manipulative assholes. Suffice to say, his four years of high school could have gone better.

“Got any eights?” Lilith asked, pulling Eric from his thoughts. Searching through his cards, the human let out a tired sigh as he handed it over.

“This is going to be a long ride.”

A couple hours or so had passed as Eric had found himself asleep on the rather comfortable couch, accompanied with a blanket and pillow under his head, courtesy of Lilith. The mare had opted to watch over the human, finding a small amount of comfort and amusement as she watched her new friend peacefully slumber.

Thoughts about the night’s events had left the mare in a conflicting state. It’s true that she was still upset about losing to the human, though given everything so far, she couldn’t really complain. Besides, it could have been much worse, especially if he had made her his slave.

The mare shivered at the thought as she got up from the couch and grabbed herself a few grapes from the fruit bowl on the bar. It wouldn’t be long now, at most another ten minutes or so before they would reach their destination. With a knowing smile, the mare threw the first grape into her mouth before almost chocking on the stupid piece of fruit as the train car began to suddenly brake. After a few coughs, the mare had managed to get the grape down, though decided to prolong her life by throwing away the others.

“W-what time is it?” the human asked, stirring from his spot on the couch. Lilith turned to greet the human, though paused as she could hardly contain her laughter at the human’s messed up mane. Eric caught the mare holding her side before losing it in a fit of laughter. Feeling that something was out of place, Eric blearily blinked his green eyes before digging through the backpack at his feet. Pulling out a small metallic device, the human scoffed as he noticed his short-black mane doing whatever it felt like doing.

“Yeah yeah, laugh it up,” Eric commented, using his hand and phone to try and get his hair under control. He was quickly surprised as he noticed Lilith levitating a bit of water in her magic, before releasing her grasp and letting it gently soak into the human’s hair.

“Hey, what was that for?” Eric grumbled, not at all too happy about having a bit of water dumped onto his head.

“Relax you little filly. It’s just so I can fix your hair,” the mare replied. Trotting over towards the human, Lilith righted herself onto the couch before balancing herself behind Eric. Using her front hooves, Lilith gently combed Eric’s hair. Eric closed his eyes and relaxed as Lilith’s hooves felt like a weird, but comforting head massage.

“This is rather relaxing,” Eric commented, almost to the point of lulling himself to sleep.

“Yeah, well don’t get used to it. I’m only doing this because you have to be at least somewhat presentable,” Lilith retorted. Eric playfully scoffed at the mare, though let the comment slide.

“And done. That should be good enough.” Opening his eyes, Eric held up his phone to inspect the craftsmanship of the mare’s hard work.

“Not bad. It’s seem like you got it under control.” Lilith beamed a victorious smile while also sticking her tongue out at the human.

“Of course it’s good. Are you implying that I would do shoddy work?” Lilith teased, though her tone was a bit too serious for Eric’s taste.

“Well technically, I just met you, so I can’t be sure. Though from what I have seen so far, you take your job very seriously, even if it is a bit unfair to others,” Eric added before reaching a hand up to the mare and gently scratching her mane. A comforting pleasure rocked the mare’s body as she melted into her friend’s touch. Never before had she felt such a surge of comfort and warmth, though she was sure she never wanted it to stop. After a few moments though, the mare was brought back to reality as she noticed a grin plastered smugly on Eric’s face.

“What did you just do to me?” Lilith was both parts curious and cautious as she stared down the human for an answer.

“It was just a simple head scratch. I figured I would return the favor for giving me a little massage while fixing my hair,” Eric responded casually.

“I see.” Lilith grew silent for a moment before a small smile spreads across the mare’s face.

“Do it again,” she demanded. Eric noticed right away the tone of voice the mare was using. He could feel her need to experience that same feeling just a few moments before. If Eric were anything but a gentleman, he would deny Lilith of her needs as he watched her squirm. Luckily, he wasn’t a gentleman, and was going to take much pleasure in teasing his new friend.

“I don’t know Lilith. I don’t really feel like it,” Eric stated before throwing his phone into his backpack. Lilith glared at the human with a pouty expression.

“Come on, you owe me,” Lilith stated, watching as Eric lifted his brow in confusion.

“I owe you? And what exactly do I owe you for?” Lilith took this opportunity to climb onto the human’s lap, while also locking their eyes.

“You owe me for where I’m about to take you. So stop complaining and start scratching mister,” Lilith said as she planted her rump in Eric’s lap. At this point, Eric was both amused and confused, though relented at the childish but rather adorable actions of the mare.

“Fine, fine. But this place better be worth it.” With a beaming smile, Lilith felt Eric’s hand glide through her mane while gently scratching her scalp. Even though the mare wasn’t tired, the actions alone from the human were almost enough to send her to sleep. However, after a few minutes of peaceful mane scratching, Lilith jumped off the human with a smile.

“I appreciate what you just did. It was very refreshing,” she said before making her way to one of the windows on the train with a little pep in her step. “Now come over here and take a look. This is where I was taking us.” The mare motioned a hoof towards Eric, who eagerly left his seat and walked over to the window. Somehow, the train was now currently traveling across a large expanse of water and towards a massive city in the distance.

“What is that place?” Eric asked, unable to peel his eyes away from the scene.

“That my friend, is home.”

Author's Note:

Hello and greetings everyone! Another chapter is complete, though this one is relatively short as compared to the first chapter. The reason for this, is to just get some of the boring stuff out of the way with Eric and Lilith, while also making it a good stopping point to leave you all on a cliff hangar (hehe.)